The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Growing Up With Beth

© Copyright 1999 by artie

This work may not be reposted or redistributed without the prior express written permission of the author.

A work of fiction, meant for adults. Read something else if you are not an adult, or are offended by stories with sexual content. Then again, if all you’re looking for is in-out, in-out, in-out, you should probably read something else. I welcome constructive comments. Enjoy.

Part 5—New Territory

“Ready?”

I was sitting on the bench after math. Karen walked up, smiling. I stood up and we hugged.

Walking to the parking lot I asked, “How was your session with Emily?”

She nodded. “How was yours? It was good. She’s good to talk to. But so are you, Andy. This session was a lot more relaxed, a lot easier, yet still ... we moved some big rocks around. I won’t know for a few days.”

I held her waist. “Yup, it takes a while for things to settle out.”

We drove over to her place, an older house in Belmont Shore.

As we walked in, she told me, “This used to be my grandparent’s house. About the only reason dad was able to keep it is they put it in his name only, and before he got married. Thank God he never changed it.”

She gave me the quick tour. I could tell how much the house meant to her. She told me she did the housekeeping and the cooking. She didn’t know what her dad ate a lot of the time. He tended to get home late, when he was in town. He traveled a lot on business now, and was away most of the time. He’d moved into a job requiring more travel after the divorce.

Karen looked at me and said, “I wish I could get him to talk to Emily, or someone like her.”

“I know some people who could use her help as well.”

I watched her put together a simple meal. I offered to help, but she wouldn’t let me. We ate, sitting together. Some time during dinner we started talking in French. Even though we were taking second year college French, it was hard for both of us. We laughed a lot as we struggled for words and phrases that fit everyday life.

She let me help clean up after dinner. We sat together on the sofa in her living room talking. I could feel the age of the house, the old plaster, the old wood. I could feel kids running around in it, laughing.

“Andy, time for me to take you back.”

“Okay, but it’s my turn on Thursday, okay?”

She looked at me in surprise. “You can cook?”

I gave her an offended look. “A little.”

She laughed. “Okay, you’re on. But, no hamburgers.”

I frowned. “You like lamb?”

“Love it.”

“How about spicy food?”

“Sure.”

“Okay.”

“What are you going to fix?”

“Something spicy with lamb. You’ll find out.”

She laughed and stood up. We walked out to the car and got in.

We drove back mostly in silence.

“You don’t have to,” I told her as she got out with me. But, she walked with me to the door.

Unlocking the door sent a pang through me. He’d never trusted me with a key. He’d never trusted me. He’d never wanted me.

“Andy, thanks for a very nice evening.”

That brought me back. I looked at her and smiled again. “Thank you. I enjoy your company.”

She held me and we kissed briefly. She got back in her car, and drove off as I waved.

I took care of homework, rereading the paper Emily had marked.

“So how was she?” Beth asked when she got home.

That hurt, and I guess it showed. She came over to me, and said, “Oh Andy, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that.”

I held her. “I know. Beth, we had a very nice time. We sat together, talked, ate together. I was very relaxed and at home. I think she was as well. I invited her over here Thursday—I’m going to cook. Is that okay with you?”

She sat back, smiling. “Of course it is. You can even use the bed if you want.”

That bothered me. “Beth, I’m in no hurry at all with Karen. I don’t know if that will ever happen. It’s not important. It’s not ... I don’t know. I think you understand. I hope you understand. If you do, could you explain it to me?”

She smiled more, and pulled me to her, holding me tight. “Andy, I understand, and so do you. Congratulations, you’re growing up. Feel like holding me?”

“You bet,” I said, nestling into her.

Wednesday’s session with Emily was interesting. I returned her book. She asked me what I thought of the paper, Maslow’s paper on the hierarchy of human needs.

I paused a bit. “I thought about it a lot. I thought about what to say. It makes a lot of sense. But last night, I had a dream. I was climbing a ladder. My hands were up above me; most of the time I was looking up. But every so often I’d look down and focus on my feet, so many rungs below. One of my feet would slip, going down another few rungs. That’s what it is. It isn’t a hierarchy—it’s a ladder. And parts of me are at different levels. Some times I’m looking up so high, yet one of my feet will slip, pulling my attention back down to the lower levels. Does that make sense?”

She smiled and reached over to squeeze my hand. “That’s very good! I like that! You need to write that down for me. Can you do that by Friday?”

I moaned, “Yes, teacher.”

She laughed. We talked about what I’d written in response to her questions. She told me she was interested not only in what I knew, but my views on things—Beth had been right.

“Emily, Doctor Carmichael, one of the things about all this.... Most of it seems to be based in, well, pathology—broken things, broken minds, broken spirits. Is there any psychology that deals with growth, emergence, improvement?”

She smiled again. “Andrew, there is indeed, and we’ll investigate it—that’s a center of my practice. One of my teachers long ago, told me, ‘You have to aim ahead of the duck.’ If you’re going to shoot a flying duck, you have to aim where it’s going to be. Or, with your ladder—even though your feet are down lower, you’re looking, grasping, aiming higher. Even when we’re repairing what’s broken, we look ahead.”

That made sense. Then she gave me another assignment. I went into the house laughing.

“Hi there! What’s for dinner?”

I looked up from the bench to see Karen. We hugged and walked to her car.

“A surprise. I thought about starting last night, but decided to do it all today, just so you know I actually did it myself.”

She laughed. “Is this going to turn into a contest?”

I swung her hand in mine. “I wouldn’t mind.”

“Neither would I.”

I did curried lamb and basmati rice. I’d had Beth pick up some Indian style bread—naan—and she told me I had to cook enough for leftovers. We talked as I cooked, trying to stick with French as much as we could. We sat in the living room after she helped me clean up. I gave her space. We talked. About eight thirty she smiled and told me she should be going. She used the bathroom, and then I showed her to the door, walking outside with her. It was cold, and for the L.A. basin, clear.

“Thank you, Andy. See you tomorrow.”

“You’re welcome. Drive safe, and sleep well.”

Then she pulled me to her and we kissed.

I stood outside in my bare feet until her car was out of sight.

“How did it go? Any leftovers?” Beth called out.

I was in the bedroom reading. “In here!” She walked in.

“There are plenty of leftovers,” I told her. “I packaged up some for your lunch tomorrow. Thanks for getting the bread—it was good.”

She started undressing. “I’m tired too. What a day! So, what did you do?”

I sat up. “Beth, we talked, and were just with each other. I made sure I gave her space. She looked relaxed and comfortable. We kissed on the porch as she left.”

“Andy, that’s nice,” she said sweetly. Then she growled, “I’m glad you saved it for me.” I laughed.

I wasn’t laughing a little while later. She was hungry for me. It took me a while to get her unwound, and I hoped she was satisfied as I held her later, because I was exhausted.

Patterns

The patterns developed again. Karen cooked on Tuesday and I cooked on Thursday, sometimes at her place, sometimes at ours. Donna still tried to get her tongue down my throat in the City College parking lot. I spent the occasional Saturday locked in lust with Sherry. Donna and Greg seemed to be quite solid. Emily pushed me and pulled me, always challenging. I’d written up a short thing on my dream, relating it to Maslow’s hierarchies. She bounced it back repeatedly, turning it into an essay. I even showed it to Mrs. Murray, my English teacher. She worked it over as well, and one day handed it back to me with “A+—Very Good!” written on it. I gave that copy to Emily.

It was the week after Halloween, Thursday at our place. Something was bugging me.

“Andy, what is it? Something is wrong.” Karen said. We were sitting together on the floor in front of the fireplace. We sat together, holding hands, touching, maybe arms around each other. We had the occasional kiss, and kissed when we parted, and some times when we met, but that was about it. And that was fine with me. But something bugged me.

“Damn! I know what it is now,” I told her. “I heard about a Halloween party last Saturday night. Sherry spent part of the day with me, but then she went to the party with some jock. Monday morning she complained to me about what a dick he was, just wanting to get her clothes off. I’m only useful to her when I fit into her world. I don’t like that.”

She held my hand. “Have you told her that?”

I shook my head. “Just figured it out. But I’m not sure what to do about it. I’m getting a lot out of helping her with math. I really like that.”

“So keep doing that. What else do you like doing with her?”

I smiled and held her hand. “She’s learning how to cook. She actually did one of the recipes I showed her, all on her own. Her parents were floored.”

“And?”

Do I tell her I really like going down on Sherry? Making her shake and moan? Feeling my head squeezed between her legs? Latching on to a nipple and having her ride me, moaning?

“I like some of the other things we do as well,” I said softly.

She nodded. “But other than that, she denies your existence. You only exist to serve her.”

I nodded. “Does Emily give you a reading list too?”

She laughed. “No, not yet. But we’ve gone over a lot of those things.” She held my hand. “Andy, it sounds like you need a girlfriend of your own.”

I looked in her eyes. “Does it make sense? The two of us?”

She frowned. “Some times you think too much.” She put her head on my shoulder. I put an arm around her. This was a new role for me. I was used to snuggling up for comfort, being held. It was time for me to learn. It felt good to learn.

As we stood on the step that night, after we kissed, Karen put a finger on my nose. “You are most definitely busy this weekend. My advice to you is to stay that way. If that girl wants you, make her come to you, on your terms. Got it?”

I nodded. We kissed once more.

“Well, want to tell me about it?” Beth asked when she saw me that night.

We sat down on the couch. I told her I’d figured out something that had been bothering me. Sherry had been using me, and I didn’t like it, especially the fact that she completely ignored me most of the time. She wasn’t even spending lunches with Betty and me any more. I’d still help her with math, but that was about it.

“And where does that leave Karen?”

I smiled, looking into her eyes. “Beth, that’s the confusing part. If Karen is my girlfriend, what do I call you?”

She looked at me and shrugged, smiling.

I grinned. “How about ‘Mistress?’”

She laughed. “I could learn to like that. Let’s go to bed. I need to be held.”

I don’t think Sherry even noticed the change. I was busy that next weekend. Karen and I went up to Los Angeles to a museum. We had a good time together.

I was thinking about Thanksgiving. I wanted to cook, but for more than just the two of us. Hell, it was on a Thursday, so after talking to Beth, I invited Karen, and her dad. It turned out he’d be out of town on business, so it would be the three of us. Fine with me.

Then the week before Thanksgiving, our French instructor at City announced a bus trip the day after Thanksgiving. They’d go to Westwood, see a French movie, have a bistro-style lunch, see another French flick, and come home. Who was interested in going? Karen grabbed my hand and held it up in hers. I laughed, along with some others in the class.

Humpty Dumpty?

I thought things were going well. Karen and I were comfortable together. I liked being with Betty at lunch. I’d gone to a couple of more events with her family. I was even getting more proficient with chopsticks. Beth, Karen and I went to a school orchestra performance. Betty was second chair violin—I thought she should be first chair, especially after the quartet performance she and three of her friends did. We all went out for pie afterwards, with Betty’s family.

Beth looked bad when she got home Monday of Thanksgiving week. My session with Emily had been strange, deep—she’d had an agenda, but I didn’t know what it was.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, “What happened?” I took Beth to the couch and held her hands.

Beth took a deep breath. She was shaken, and deeply. “Andy, we didn’t tell you about it. We didn’t want to tell you until it was over. Your father was sentenced today. He pled guilty to everything. A while ago, he assaulted his attorney—put him in the hospital, in fact. He’s been violent at other proceedings. Andy, it was so hard, seeing him this afternoon. My step-brother looked like a wild animal, shackled and drugged. One moment he was calm, and the next, he had to be restrained. He’s going back for more observation, and spending at least the next three years in jail.”

I held her. I was cold and empty inside. “Was mom there? What about her?”

She held me tighter. “Andy, that’s another hard part. She wasn’t there. She’s withdrawn completely. She’s not talking to anyone, at least not to any of us. We call, and her family says they’ll pass on the message. We don’t know what your mom is doing. The only good news is she wants you to stay here with me. Your father isn’t contesting the divorce anymore; he isn’t contesting anything. Your father, in a lucid moment, signed the guardianship papers. Your mom is supposed to, and then I’m your legal guardian. His attorney also gave me this, for you.”

She handed me a folded piece of paper. On it was written, in scrawled pencil, “Andy—I’m sorry. Dad.” The writing was large and irregular, as if it had been done by a child.

I was beyond shock, beyond tears. We held each other. This was what Emily had been trying to prepare me for. But how could you? We both cried a lot that night.

Leaving Beth at school the next day, I felt closer to her, yet more distant. I felt more alone than I had in a long time.

Karen asked quietly, “What is it, Andy?”

I shook my head. “My dad was sentenced yesterday.”

She held me and we didn’t say anything else.

During dinner at her place, we talked, in French, about Thursday’s dinner. Her dad had taken off for Seattle and wouldn’t be back until Saturday. We had a half-day of school Wednesday, at least I did. College classes were nonexistent—common sense prevailing over bureaucracy. We’d have Turkey Day together, then Westwood on Friday. And after that—we had the whole weekend! I was delirious again.

Beth dropped me off a little early at High School. She told me someone would pick me up. She had a twinkle in her eye. I settled into study hall. Sherry showed up and we did more math. I was back to that role with her.

Sherry had also changed a lot in the last couple of months. Betty told me about the math class I missed Monday. Ellis announced he was going to have a quiz Wednesday. That got moans—a lot of people were planning on not being there. Sherry told him to give it to them now. When he said he hadn’t gone over some of the material yet, she’d told him it wouldn’t matter to her. Betty had gotten a kick out of that, and so had Ellis.

Math was about half full, and the half that was present was to the most extent the brighter half. Ellis smiled and told us we weren’t having a quiz.

I walked out to the parking lot with Betty at lunchtime. Our day at school was done. She was a little jealous of my day Friday. Her family was going to visit relatives for Thanksgiving—she wasn’t looking forward to the ride. She also wanted to try a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner—turkey, stuffing, the works. I laughed and told her we’d have plenty of leftovers. She made me promise to bring her some.

I was pretty surprised to see the Toyota in the lot. Karen had come to get me! She walked over, and I introduced her again to Betty, in French this time. We chatted for a bit, then Karen hauled me off to her car. Betty laughed and waved.

I laughed a bit as we drove off. “And what are you doing picking me up today?”

She grinned. “I talked to Beth. She says there’s enough work for three people, so I’m in. She also invited me to stay tonight for dinner. She says I get to decide who’s the better cook—you, or her.”

I shook my head. “No contest—she is by far.”

“I thought that’s what you’d say.”

“Sounds pretty safe to me,” I told her. “Anything we need to pick up on the way?”

“Just a few things,” she told me.

We had a great time in the kitchen, the three of us. Karen and I started speaking French, but Beth made us switch back to English, complaining it had been too damn long since she studied French.

We had a light dinner Wednesday. The pies were done—that had been my main job, mince and pumpkin. I cheated—I used prepackaged pumpkin filling, as well as mince meat. On Beth’s suggestion, I added more brandy to the mince meat.

Karen left about half past nine. We had the refrigerator pretty much full of preparations. Beth got the guest of honor, the turkey, from a neighbor, where it had been thawing. Our lovemaking that night was joyous. All seemed right with the world.

Karen came over about ten Thursday morning. First order of business was setting the table—I’d already stuffed the bird and put him in the oven.

“Set the table for five,” Beth told us. Karen and I looked at each other. I raised my eyebrows, and she raised hers in answer. Okay, we’ll find out.

“Who are the guests of honor?” I called out.

“Surprise,” Beth answered from the kitchen.

Karen chuckled. “I’m not surprised.”

A while later, I asked, “White wine?”

Beth said, “Taken care of.”

“Our guests?” asked Karen.

Beth nodded.

Dinner was set for four O’clock. The doorbell rang about three. Beth answered it.

And in walked Emily, followed by a man about her age. We were introduced to Ben, her husband. They brought the wine. Ben ran a business importing and distributing wines.

It was only a little weird. We talked about normal things. They were especially interested in Karen and I, and our college plans. We talked about our upcoming excursion to Westwood. Ben got started on French wines, and different regions, telling us we simply had to visit France, especially to learn the language.

I laughed and looked at him. “Sir, excuse me, but...”

He smiled, swirling his wine glass. “Andrew, I’ve learned the best thing to do is simply say, ‘Yes, dear.’ Life is much more pleasant that way.”

I knew better than to laugh. I raised my glass to superior knowledge. The ladies smiled.

Dinner was wonderful. We had enough food to feed a small army. I packaged up leftovers, saying I’d promised some to Betty. We saw Emily and her husband out at around eight. Karen stayed to finish cleanup. She left a little after nine.

“Walk me out?” she asked.

I walked her out to her car. “See you in the morning,” she whispered. We kissed and hugged. I watched her drive off.

I flopped on the couch inside, laughing softly.

“What’s so funny?” Beth asked, sitting next to me.

“Seeing Emily, Doctor Carmichael, in a social setting. Interesting.”

“She is a great person. I’d mentioned what we were doing, and she asked if they could join us. What was I to say?”

I chuckled. “You say, ‘Yes, dear.’ Isn’t that right?”

She grabbed my stomach, tickling me.

“If someone hadn’t forced me to eat so much, I’d...” she growled.

I looked up at her. “We can hold each other. How about that?”

She smiled and helped me up.

“Happy Thanksgiving, Andy,” she said as we walked into the bedroom.

“Happy Thanksgiving, Mistress,” I said. She laughed and felt my bottom.

We held each other in the morning, finally rolling out of bed when I realized Karen would be by for me soon.

We had an incredible time, from the moment she picked me up. We all talked on the ride up, and Karen and I learned our dinner conversation had indeed helped—we had a more fluid grasp of what we called “table French.” The first film we saw was a romantic farce. It was very good. It had English subtitles, which were hilarious, often coming nowhere close to what the characters were saying.

Lunch was fun. The restaurant staff got into it as well, pretending to not understand if our pronunciation wasn’t spot on.

Toward the end of lunch, we spotted our instructor, hollering into a cell phone, waving his free hand. He came back into the restaurant and told us apologetically that there had been a mix-up, and we wouldn’t be seeing the second film. We could either bum around Westwood for a while, or head back south. The result of the plebiscite was to return south.

We found ourselves in the City parking lot a little over three hours sooner than we expected.

“My place?” Karen suggested.

“Great.”

Karen closed the door behind us, and eased into my arms without turning on any lights. We kissed in the hallway, then she moved us down the hall to her room. Soon we were on her bed. She was hungry, encouraging. I wanted to savor every moment.

Except for the moment when my cell phone went off—as far as I knew, only a few people had the number. I’d turn it off in the bedroom from now on.

Karen pulled back. “Better answer that.”

I sighed, but I did, without saying , “Yes, dear.”

It was Beth. When we got home, she wanted us to swing by the Chan’s house. I asked if she’d taken the leftovers. She hadn’t. We’d bring them.

“That was Beth. We need to go to the Chan’s place. We might as well pick up the leftovers for Betty.”

Karen sighed and pulled me down to her again. How I looked forward to every new sensation with her.

We picked up and left, though. Even though it was a bit out of the way, we got the goodies for Beth, then headed back to the old haunts.

Fire and Ashes

There were quite a few cars around the Chan’s house when we pulled up. “Is that Emily’s car?” I asked Karen, feeling uneasy all of a sudden. She gave me a concerned look, and held my hand as we walked to the door.

We knocked on the door. Doctor Chan answered. I didn’t like the look on his face. He motioned us in silently.

I really didn’t like the crowd in the living room. Beth and Emily were there, along with Carl, the attorney. Sherry’s mom was there, and Donna’s dad.

“Andy,” Beth said, “Have a seat. We’ve got a problem. Karen, thanks. This doesn’t concern you.”

As I sat down in a chair, Karen stood behind me. I felt her hands on my shoulders, holding tight. She said in a clear voice, “Yes it does. I’m staying.”

Beth looked to Emily. Then she turned to me and handed me a piece of paper.

It was a letter signed by the high school principal. If I understood it correctly, it said that since I wasn’t living in the district anymore, I had to transfer to a different school.

I tossed it on the table.

“This is total bullshit!” I said. “Pardon my French. Most of their starting teams live outside the district. Peter, the Student Body President, the center and captain of the basketball team, lives in Downey for Christ’s sake! Can they do this? From the looks of this group, I guess they can.”

Beth nodded somberly. “Andy, that arrived in the mail to me today. I started calling people as soon as it did. It is serious. But, we intend to keep you in school, where you are now, through the end of the year. For the short term, that involves having you live within the district. The Chan’s have offered to take you in. This is temporary.”

I was numb again. What else could be taken away from me? I felt Karen’s hands, gripping my shoulders tightly.

“No!” she said loud and strong. Then, at a more appropriate volume, she said, “Doctor Carmichael, Aunt Beth, I need to speak with you privately. Please.”

With another squeeze from Karen, the three ladies went into another room. After some time, Beth called out, “Carl, Doctor Hsu? Join us, please?”

The conversation continued for some time behind a closed door. Calm and relaxed, calm and relaxed. I’d make it, whatever happened. I would make it.

Carl and Doctor Hsu came out first. They were smiling slightly. Then Emily came out. She smiled and sat down as well.

Beth and Karen were last. They’d both been crying. They both stood by me.

“We’ve decided,” Beth said.

“What?” I asked.

Karen started speaking. “Andy, you’re right—this is total bullshit. I went through it with my parents. You’re going to live with my dad and me for a while. Carl is going to court, and to the press, if they don’t pull back, and fast. That’s the way to go after these bastards—show them for the two-faced, lying, ...” She paused. “Sorry about that.”

“No, that’s fine, Karen.” Beth said, “We all agree. This is the way to go for now. Karen is clearly in the district. We’ve started a list of other students living outside the district, violating this so-called policy. The district will of course say they were unaware of these. The message we’re going to give to them is loud and clear. Back off, or we go to the press, and to court, in that order, and make this very, very noisy.”

Doctor Chan spoke up. “I have some friends on the school board. I’ll be making personal visits on them starting tomorrow morning to discuss this matter. I think we all have a number of questions, including who instigated this, and why.”

I sighed. “Where does that leave me?”

“Andy,” Beth said, “This is temporary. We don’t know for how long. I’d expect two or three weeks. Worst case, until June. Right?”

I sighed. Seven months of school left. How long had I put up with my parents’ fighting? Longer than that.

“I don’t know how I’ll do it, other than one day at a time. This sucks.”

Karen raised an eyebrow. I shook my head. “Sorry, I’m fresh out of quick wit. I’m tired. God, I’m tired.”

Beth leaned forward to me and asked, “Are you? I don’t think you’re tired. Andy, it won’t go away. It will still be here. So will you. We’ll beat these idiots, one way or the other. Are you really tired?”

I had to smile a little. Can’t fool these people. “Okay, I can’t run away from it, as much as part of me wants to. The only way out is through. It’s not the way I would have chosen to end this day.”

Beth sighed. “It’s not how I wanted to spend it either.”

I hung my head for a moment, then raised it. “I’m sorry, all of you. Thank you so much for your concern, and your assistance. I appreciate it, I really do. What next?”

Beth came closer. “Let’s go home, Andy.”

I looked up at her. “Where’s that?” I whispered, barely audibly.

Beth shook her head. I looked to Karen, standing a ways away. I walked over to her, and gave her a hug. “Thank you, for everything.” She sighed.

I turned and went back to Beth. We walked out to her car.

“Beth, I’m sorry. Forgive me, please,” I said as we got into her car.

“Oh Andy, I’m not mad at you. If anything, the way you responded showed everyone you’re worth the effort. You should have heard Emily earlier. She was mad as hell. She probably still is. I’ve never seen her so upset. She’s going to be on the phone tomorrow as well. I don’t think these twits know what they’ve taken on.”

I held her hand. “But I want to be with you. Yet I know that can only be temporary—it has to end. I guess I don’t want it to end until and unless we decide it’s time. Does that make sense?”

“Yes, Andy, it does. And I wouldn’t do anything differently. I would not do anything differently.”

“What did Karen say?”

Beth nodded her head. “Karen is sharp. She’s been through the divorce mill. She had insights we all found useful. She also made a strong case for you not being with the Chan family. Emily agreed with her, and so did Vivian, once Karen pointed out a few things. Early in the day, the Jennings volunteered to take you in, but we’d ruled that out. Karen really drove a stake through that one.”

I shook my head in amazement. Strangely enough, I knew that living under the same roof with Sherry wouldn’t work. But how about living with Karen?

“I don’t know,” I said softly.

“Andy, Emily and I are behind and beside you, both of you. She’s spending time with Karen tomorrow morning, and with us tomorrow afternoon. We’ll move some things over on Sunday. You’ll ride to school Monday with Karen, and back to her place.”

I clutched her hand. “Can I see you on the weekends? Christmas break? You were right—I don’t want to sleep alone. And who strongarms her dad? How does that happen?”

Beth sighed a little. “Andy, one day at a time. We’ll have time together. I expect this to be over in a week or two. We may go to Tahoe or Mammoth for Christmas break, the two of us together. As to Karen’s dad, Karen, Emily, and Carl will take care of him. I don’t think we’ll have any problems.”

“This was something my dad’s attorney did, wasn’t it? Something he set in motion a while ago?”

Beth frowned, but nodded. “That’s our guess. We hope to smoke out that information. We’re not sure how successful we’ll be. That’s another aspect of this that we’re going to rub their nose in, though—letting themselves be dragged into an adversarial proceeding without checking things out carefully. They’re going to learn that isn’t a good idea.”

We didn’t make love. We held each other, tightly.

In the morning, we held each other again. I latched on to her, holding her, so hungry. She rolled me to my back. I saw her hand going to my forehead. I almost said, “No,” but I wanted it so bad. Yes, I wanted to escape, and escape into her. “Please,” I whispered, almost cried. Her hand touched me; her voice touched me. She took me to that soft place, I fled to that soft place, and we made love once again. Afterwards we held each other, and floated in that place together.

We woke up and showered together. We had a light breakfast. We started pulling things together. I held back—I wanted to talk to Karen, look things over, figure things out with her. But I realized I wanted to stall, postpone. The only way out is through.

Emily came by around noon. She looked at Beth and said, “Beth, please.”

Beth nodded. “I understand, Doctor. I’ll be back in a couple of hours.”

What Emily led me through was very hard. She kept me focused on things, not letting me duck, evade, or escape. Understanding something and embracing it are different things. I understood what needed to happen. I knew parts of it would be ugly. I knew Emily and Beth would be there to help me. I was a survivor. So was Karen. So was Beth.

Beth came back, and entered looking at us expectantly.

Emily smiled. “Just in time, dear. I need to go back to Karen’s house. Vivian, Carl, and I are meeting with her father, Jack. I’ll talk to you later.”

Emily left, and Beth sat down. I got up and poured myself a large glass of root beer.

She looked at me. “Well?”

I sighed and sat down on the couch. I put a hand on her leg and took another big swig from my glass. “I’ll live,” I told her. “I know I’ll make it, and I know I’ll grow as a result. But, there are some things I’d rather not learn. Comments?”

She gave me a half smile. “Look on the bright side—she hasn’t given you any more assignments.”

I nodded. I put down my glass and held her.

We were puttering, avoiding the inevitable, when there was a knock at the door. I answered it. It was Karen.

“What’s wrong?” I asked. She looked .... I’m not sure how she looked. Confused, I guess.

“I don’t know,” she said as she came in. “My dad got home, and I started talking to him. Then Emily and Vivian showed up. After a little bit they asked me to leave. I told them I was coming over here.”

“Any problems?” Beth asked. We all walked back to the living room and sat down.

Karen looked at us, still looking confused. “No, I don’t think so. Dad doesn’t have any problems with Andy moving in. He seemed to think it was a good idea, anyway. Then things started getting thick with Emily and Vivian. God, I wouldn’t want to be double-teamed by them!”

I shook my head. “Your dad is in for some intense therapy, whether he likes it or not.”

Karen said, “That’s the funny thing. When he walked in the door today, he seemed, I don’t know, resolved—as if something had been decided, and a big weight was off him. He was a lot more open and talkative with me than he’d been in a while. Something is going on, that’s for sure.”

Great. Just what we needed. More chaos in our lives.

We started gathering things. My heart wasn’t in it, which was weird. Would I have jumped at the chance to live with Donna, or Sherry, a couple of months ago? Bet your ass I would. So how about living with a more adult, more voluptuous, more sensitive, and more intelligent woman, such as Karen? What was wrong with me?

“Andy?” Karen asked, putting a hand on my back.

I looked at her. “Maybe I am nuts. Why aren’t I jumping at the opportunity to move in with you?”

She laughed. It was a good laugh. That helped.

She said, “Because you are intelligent, mature, sensitive, and very attached to Aunt Beth?”

I nodded.

“Andy, I don’t bite.” She looked around. “Unless you want me to,” she whispered.

I laughed. She helped me pack some. We were very quiet. Karen and Beth both remarked I needed some new clothes. We took a break for a while, then got back to it. It was like plowing through molasses—slow and painful.

We had another knock on the door. Karen had been with us about three hours.

Emily and Carl came in.

“Well?” I asked.

They sat down.

Emily said, “Karen, your father is a very nice man. Things are going to work out quite well. He understands what we’re doing, and supports us totally. We had a good chat.”

A shiver ran through me. I knew how intense a “chat” with Emily could be. We all did—well, maybe not Carl.

He spoke next. “He signed the statements I drafted. Andy, our primary goal is to get the school, and the district to back off. We will achieve that goal. But even if we don’t, with those statements, there’s no way they can get you out other than through graduating you.”

I nodded. “Maginot Line,” I said softly.

Emily said, “Andrew, we’ll know more mid-week, but we are in a very good position. With you living at the Libby’s house, there’s nothing the district can do to get you out.”

I said, “The Maginot Line was the perfect defense.”

Emily frowned, but Carl chuckled. “Andy,” he said, “I applaud your realism in this whole thing. You’re right, we don’t know what they may try. But let me tell you what happens if they try anything. I walk down to court and file suit. We ask the court to enjoin the district and the school from taking any action against you until such time as a full hearing can take place. The court will grant that injunction, and the school won’t be able to do anything. The court will also set a hearing date, probably in July or August at the earliest. If the school provokes a court battle, they lose, and they lose big, because we’ll also go to the press. Better?”

I nodded, smiling a bit. “Thanks, Carl. That helps a lot. One question, though...”

“Okay,” he said.

“If this is such a sure-fired strategy, why the hell am I moving out?”

Both he and Beth sighed.

“Andy,” Carl said, shaking his head slowly, “You’re moving back into the district because that completely undercuts any action to transfer you out. They can’t even start the process. It’s safer that way. I’ve talked to Beth, and Doctor Carmichael. They’ve impressed on me how difficult this is on you. I’m going to impress that on some other people.”

Karen said, “I should go back and talk to daddy.”

Emily shook her head. “He’s probably already gone, dear. He’s headed back to Seattle—he needed to pick up some things. Karen dear, your father is doing quite well. We had a very productive time together. He’s doing well, but needs to move in his own time, and his own space. I’m sure you understand that.”

Karen sighed and nodded.

Emily said, “He’ll be back next weekend. He’ll be spending more time. I’ve recommended a colleague in the Seattle area, who he’s agreed to see. I think this is about the best result we could hope for, yes?”

Karen smiled a bit. “Yes, that is good news. I wish him well.”

I shook my head, looked at Emily. I guess I sort of scowled.

“Andrew?” she asked.

“There’s something else—I can feel it. What’s going on?” I asked.

She smiled and nodded. Enigmatic. “In time, Andrew, in time.”

It was a quarter to six. “Anyone for leftovers?” I asked.

Emily nodded. “Thank you, Andrew, but I need to be going. Andrew, I’ll see you Monday afternoon, and Karen I’ll see you Tuesday morning, unless either of you need me earlier. Andrew, rest assured we will be working to insure that quite a few people share your discomfort over this.”

Carl and Emily left. The three of us had leftovers for dinner.

“Should we take a load over tonight?” Karen asked after we’d cleaned up.

I closed my eyes. I couldn’t look at Beth, or Karen. How long had it been, when my parents went off on that cruise?

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I almost pulled away from it. I opened my eyes to see Beth standing beside me, Karen beside her.

“Why is this so hard?” I asked them. “Why am I not jumping at the chance to move in with an intelligent, beautiful woman?”

Karen said softly, “Because you already have?”

I looked at her and sighed. How much did she know? How much had she guessed?

“Andy...” said Beth.

I stood up. “I know. It has to be done. I understand that.”

We loaded some things into Karen’s car, filling the small back seat.

Driving over in the dark, I told Karen, “I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I’m so screwed up.”

Karen put a hand on my shoulder. “Andy, don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re being thrown around again. These creeps are attacking you where you live. Of course you’re upset. I’d worry if you weren’t. Let it out.”

I sighed. I didn’t have anything to let out. I felt numb.

We unloaded things. The house had three bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, and a family room. Her dad had the big bedroom, which was unused. We had bedrooms that were smaller, each with a standard bed. Oh how I missed the big bed—with Beth in it. It was an older house, with one bathroom.

Karen had spent time cleaning up. There was plenty of room for me. It was a little larger, and better organized, than my room at the old house. God, that thought didn’t help one damn bit. We got my clothes in the closet, books on the desk and bookshelf, and bathroom stuff more or less organized.

“Another trip tonight?” Karen asked.

I looked down at the floor. “I’d like to spend the night here, and make another trip tomorrow morning. Okay?”

She said softy, “Okay. You should call Beth.”

That was hard. My hand was shaking as I picked up the phone and dialed her, our, house. She answered.

“Beth,” I said, my voice shaky, “I want to spend the night here. Okay?” That’s not what I meant. I didn’t want to spend the night here. I wanted to be in bed with her, clinging to her.

She gasped, but said, “Okay, Andy. I understand. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye,” I said, and hung up the phone.

I sat on the floor. I was fresh out of tears. I was out of emotions for now. I felt Karen kneel by me, and felt her hands on my shoulders again.

“Tell me, Andy,” she said.

I shook my head, not looking up. “Damn them! Damn them!”

I stood up. I looked at Karen, and held her hands. “Karen, thank you so much. I won’t be a pain. I’m going to bed.”

She nodded. I cleaned up in the bathroom. I still had some drugs left over from the first fight—or was that fist fight? I took a sedative before I went to bed.

The bed was small, cold, and empty. I found some tears as I went to sleep. I think I heard Karen find tears of her own in the bedroom next door.

We got up and had a light breakfast the next morning. We talked some, but it was hard for both of us. Beth called about nine. Karen answered the phone. They spoke softly for a bit, then she handed me the phone.

“How did you sleep, Andy?” Beth asked.

I sighed. “About the same as you, I expect.”

“That bad?”

“Yes. Oh, Beth.... I didn’t want to be here last night. I don’t want to be here.”

“I understand, Andy. I’m here waiting for you. I’ll be here waiting for you for as long as it takes.”

“Thank you, Beth. We’ll be over in a while.”

We hung up. I looked over to Karen. I shook my head and took her hands, going into the living room and sitting together on the couch.

“Karen, thank you so much for taking me in. Under any other circumstances.... I think you know. Damn—I feel so weird. I feel like I’ve closed up again, pulled so far away from everything and everyone. Karen, I’m not giving up. Please don’t give up on me.”

She shook her head. She looked to be on the verge of tears. “Andy, I’m not giving up, especially on you. Let’s get going. Let’s get it over with.”

Beth had packed things up for me. It was going to take a few trips, trips I didn’t want to make. When we had the car loaded up, Karen turned to me and said, “I’ll wait in the car. Go talk to her. You both need to talk.” I nodded, and went back in.

She was standing in the living room, facing the patio doors, her back to me.

“Beth?” I said softly.

She turned. She’d been crying. I wanted to .... But I walked over, and taking her hands, led her to the couch.

“Beth, I don’t want to do this. I want to be here with you. Right here.”

“Andy, I want you here too. I do,” she said, fighting back tears.

“Then why the hell are we doing this? You want me here, and I want me here. I don’t understand!” I was almost shouting.

She shook her head. “I don’t know. God, I don’t know! Carl and Emily convinced me it’s best.”

I shook my head. “But it’s hurting you, and me, and Karen too. It’s hard on all of us. It’s not good for any of us. I don’t know what the hell to do.”

I held her. I held her gently, but somehow it felt as if I was far away, or not really there. It wasn’t the same feeling at all as when I’d held her before this had happened.

We sat back. “We’ll be back in a while. Beth, are we doing the right thing?”

She looked at me, trying to smile. “Andy, I don’t know. I really don’t know.”

Karen and I unloaded stuff at her place, and headed back for another trip. When we pulled up to Beth’s, her Volvo wagon was backed partially into the garage. We walked in through the garage. She was loading things into it.

She saw us and smiled. She looked better. “I thought I’d help out. I’ve got a bike rack, anyway.”

“Thanks, Aunt Beth,” Karen said.

Beth smiled a little more. “Call me Beth, please.”

With the two cars, we got everything else loaded. Beth followed us over. Unloading my bike in the garage, I thought about the ride to school from here. It was about four miles, and not too much different from the ride I was used to making. In the spring, when the weather cleared up .... My stomach didn’t like that. I wanted to be with Beth. I hoped and prayed I wouldn’t be here in the spring. Why? Why not Karen?

When I walked into the house, Karen and Beth were sitting in the living room. They looked up at me when I walked in.

“Andy, give us a few minutes?” Karen asked.

“Sure. I’ll stage things into the garage,” I told them. Good—at least somebody was talking. I unloaded the cars, stacking things in the small garage. I put my bike up against a wall where it would be out of the way.

Karen and Beth came out, and picked up things, carrying them into the house. Guess their conversation had come to a close. With things in the house, both of them looked more upbeat.

“Can I buy you lunch?” Beth asked.

I looked at Karen. “Sure,” she said.

We drove over to a local taco place. Over lunch, we talked about schedules. Karen was going into finals. I had finals as well, in calculus and French, but they didn’t worry me. Karen wasn’t worried about French either. She was worried about a history class, and was getting together Tuesday after school with some classmates for a review session. No problem, I could find a ride back to the house. Emily would give me a ride to the house (I couldn’t say “home”) on the days I saw her. Otherwise, I’d go back and forth with Karen. Things would work.

Outside, as Karen and I were about to get into her car, and Beth into hers, Beth took out her wallet, handing me some money. “Andy, here’s your allowance, and some grocery money. I’m meeting with Perkins mid week—I’ll fill you in when we know something for certain. We might have some paperwork for you to sign.”

“What’s that about?” I asked. Karen was smiling.

“College scholarships and financial aid,” Beth told me.

“He’s really good. I might be able to go somewhere else next year,” Karen added.

We both gave Beth hugs. She drove off. We got into Karen’s car and headed back to the house.

“Well, some good news,” I said.

Karen nodded. “Yup. Grocery store before or after we plan menus for the week?”

We planned as we drove, and stopped at the store. We’d trade cooking, and stick to simple and inexpensive. Karen studied while I put things away and started on dinner.

“We should have conned Beth out of a few bottles of wine,” I told Karen as I started to cook. She looked up from her book and smiled. “Good idea.”

It felt better to be cooking, doing things. I felt better. We had a good dinner, our first in these circumstances. I insisted on candles for the table.

The kitchen was old, but perfectly adequate. As we were cleaning up together afterwards, Karen said, “Sure would be nice to have a dishwasher. What’s it like?”

That hit me like a kick in the gut. My dad—never wanting me to use the dishwasher. All those memories came flooding back.

“Andy—what’s the matter?” Karen asked, stepping to my side. We sat down at the kitchen table. She pulled her chair over near me. “You’re pale. What’s wrong?”

I looked at her and held her hand—I clutched her hand. “My dad—memories of my dad. We had a dishwasher, but we never used it. He insisted everything be done by hand. God, some of those things seem so weird now. I’m sorry.”

“That’s all right. Talk it out. Tell me what you feel, what you need.”

I looked at her. “Karen, what do you feel? What do you need? This is so weird. I’m lost. What do you need? What can I do for you?”

She smiled and led me to the living room. How I missed the fireplace. I’d love to hold her in front of a fire. We sat on the couch together.

“Hold me, Andy. I need to be held,” she told me. I held her, letting her curl up and rest her head on my shoulder. I held her gently, letting her nestle and snuggle in. “I’ve got you, " I whispered. How I loved to hear Beth say that as she held me. “I’ve got you.” I rocked back and forth a bit. I heard and felt her sigh. “I’ve got you.”

After a while she started talking, telling me how much she needed to be held. We talked about a lot of things. I told her how I felt, as if I’d pulled back, or was encased in a shell or something. Holding her helped melt that shell, helped me get closer to the world again.

We’d quieted down. After nestling into my shoulder for a bit, she moved up, smiled, and closed her eyes as she moved her head near mine. We kissed softly. I held her, one arm around her, one hand behind her head, supporting her, holding her, caressing her. Oh, how I wanted to be in her arms, feeling skin against skin, arms around her waist.

But I didn’t push. I let her set the pace. I held gently, softly. I moved my hand to her back and massaged her shoulders and back through her clothes. I felt the straps on her bra. I wanted to be lost in her arms with a nipple in my mouth.

She felt my arms and shoulders, and moved around a bit. She moved a hand behind my head, cradling me. I moaned through our still joined lips. I thought I felt her smile. She was more or less on top of me now, a position I loved. I moved both hands to her upper back, massaging her shoulders. She put her head down on my shoulder and let me continue. I started the occasional experimental brush down her side, along the sides of her breasts. The first time surprised her; the second elicited a murmur of amusement and pleasure.

She lifted her head and we kissed again. I felt more relaxed now, more open. She pulled back and started to move. I pulled her head back gently to my shoulder. “I need to hold you,” I said softly. She nestled in. I held her and rocked her. Even through our clothes, her warmth and softness was very comforting. I hope I was as comforting to her.

“We need to get to bed,” she said, sitting up. She helped me sit as well.

“Okay,” I said, leaving things open.

She smiled. “Thank you for holding me. I needed that.”

I nodded. “I need to be held as well. I need to hold you. I’m here to hold you anytime you need.”

We stood up, hugged, and kissed once more. We went to bed—separately. On her time, I told myself, on her time.

“Did you sleep better?” she asked the next morning as we had some breakfast. It was cold out, and looked as if we were still in for nasty weather.

“I think so,” I told her. “How about you?”

“I needed to be held this morning,” she said softly.

“Whenever you’re ready,” I answered.

She nodded. I think she understood.

We parked and walked in to French together. We usually did. After class, we walked out together. Thinking about going to school, I started to tense up. She gave me a hug. “Andy, we’ll make it. I’ll see you tonight.”

“I know we will,” I told her. “See you tonight.” We kissed.

I was quiet on the ride over to the high school with David. Walking into the place was weird. The high school had changed from a place that was somewhere between a safe place and neutral, to a place where I no longer felt wanted, or even felt as if I was a part of it. It felt hostile.

Greg, Sherry, and Peter, the Student Body President, met me on the way in to study hall. We went to one of the small rooms off the library. I guess they’d heard.

Sherry sat next to me, and put an arm around me as she spoke. “Mom told me. I called Peter. Donna called Greg. I tried to get you yesterday, but you weren’t there, and your aunt didn’t know how to get in touch with you. She sounded like she was crying. What’s happening?”

Beth didn’t have the phone number, and I’d left the cell phone off. I had it turned off during school, since we weren’t supposed to have them on campus. City College didn’t care, although most teachers got pissed if one went off during a class.

I sighed. She squeezed my hand. Maybe I could get back with her for a while—even an afternoon would help.

“I moved back into the district, with a friend,” I told them. “Some folks are supposed to be talking to the district today. I don’t know if that means His Highness here, or not. That’s about all I know.”

Peter spoke up. “Andy, I talked to your attorney, Carl Anderson, yesterday. I think Greg talked to him as well.” Greg nodded. Peter continued, “I gave him some other names as well. This is total crap. I told him the school normally gives waivers to people living outside the district. I don’t know why he just didn’t do that for you.”

I shook my head. “I don’t know either.”

Greg smiled. “Andy, we’re behind you on this. We’ll see what we can do.”

Peter nodded. “We’ll be talking about it in student council today. Let us know what happens, and what we can do to help.”

“Hey guys, having you tell me this helps a lot,” I told them. “I feel like I’ve got some friends around here.”

Sherry gave me a squeeze, and moved a leg over mine under the table.

Peter gave me an inquisitive look. “You don’t have a copy of the letter, do you?”

I nodded and opened my pack, pulling out a folder. “I’ve only got one.” I handed it to him. He stood up. “I can fix that. Be back in a bit.”

Greg stood up. “Hang in there, Andy,” he told me.

When he left, Sherry held me, moving her leg over me more. “Oh, Andy,” she whispered.

I closed my eyes. “Sherry, I need to be held. I want to feel you on top of me. Oh....” I opened my eyes as the door opened. Peter came back with a few pages in one hand, and handed me my letter. “Thanks,” he said. “Got enough for this morning. Knowing that bastard,” he nodded his head towards the administrative offices, “he’ll deny any knowledge of the thing, even after I stick a copy under his nose.”

“Peter,” I said, “Hold off for a while. Carl is supposed to be meeting with these clowns, and some other folks are supposed to be talking to the school board as well. Let’s see if they can get these bastards to move.”

He nodded. “Okay, I’ll hold off—for a while. Let us know, Andy—or we’ll act on our own.”

“Thanks, Peter. I appreciate it.”

“Hey, sorry we haven’t talked more. Enjoy your tutoring,” he said, and left the room.

“Like to help me study this afternoon after school?” Sherry asked with a leer.

I smiled, sitting back a bit. “I’ve got an appointment—with Emily—today. How about tomorrow?”

She ran a hand into my lap. “That sounds good. We’ve got a lot to catch up on.”

There was a knocking on the glass window separating the room from the rest of the library. I turned to see Mrs. Conn, one of the librarians, standing there. She was smiling.

“Oops, busted,” said Sherry.

Mrs. Conn came in the room.

“We were just ...” Sherry started to say.

Mrs. Conn waved a hand. “That’s okay. Andrew, I saw the letter. I ran the copies for Peter. Do you know what prompted that ... bastard to do that?”

I had to smile a little. A few people shared my sentiments, evidently.

“Best we can figure out, the divorce attorney representing my dad is behind it. But it doesn’t make any sense, especially with what Peter said about waivers.”

She shook her head. She looked toward the administration offices—I thought she was going to spit. “They only do that for jocks.” Then she smiled. It wasn’t a nice smile. “But I think that’s going to change soon. Put some books out on the table, kids. I’ll cover for you.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Conn,” I told her. Sherry nodded. We spread some math books on the table as the door closed.

“Who else did you talk to?” I asked Sherry.

“I talked to Donna, of course, and Peter, and then with Michelle, and then Rachel called yesterday...” Sherry got a very interesting look on her face. “You’ve never gone out with Rachel, have you?”

I shook my head. “Should I?”

She grinned. “Yes, you should. I talked to the lawyer guy, and a lady doctor as well.”

“Doctor Carmichael?” I asked. She shook her head.

“Doctor Hsu, maybe?” I asked.

Sherry nodded her head. “Yeah, that’s it. We talked for a while. She sounds pretty cool. Who is she?”

“Betty’s mom,” I said. Sherry’s eyes got big for a moment.

“Wow.... That explains how she knew so much about me in math class. Andy, I don’t know how to thank you for all the help you’ve been—my grades have really gone up this semester, and I’m having a lot more fun too.” She grinned and gave me a squeeze, letting a hand wander under the table again. “I know exactly how to thank you,” she growled.

I laughed. As much as I wanted to be naked with her, I decided to go back to the earlier topic. “And who did Donna talk with, do you know?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “She talked to a different lady doctor, I think Doctor Carmichael. She talked to Greg, and she spent quite some time with Rachel, too.”

The bell went off. We automatically started gathering things. As we stood up, Sherry pushed me back against the closed door with her body. “Andy, I’ll help you, I will,” she said with a smile.

I didn’t know if that was the help I needed, but it wouldn’t hurt.

It was raining at lunch, so the bleachers were pulled out in part of the main gym to give people a place to sit and eat. About halfway through lunch, Betty poked me and said, “Look who’s coming over,”

I looked up and saw Peter, and what looked to be most of the Student Body Government walking our way. We were sitting up a few rows in the bleachers. The kids below us scattered.

“Andy?” Peter called as he approached. I moved down to them. Betty came with me.

“What’s up?” I asked.

“Our esteemed Principal wasn’t in this morning—the word we got was that he was called to the district offices for a meeting and wouldn’t be back until late today. We’ve talked it over, and the Council is prepared to formally request a residence waiver for you. Tell your attorney friend that. We’ll hold off, though, until you tell us. Have you heard anything?”

I shook my head. “No. I should know more by tomorrow.”

He took out a piece of paper and scribbled down a phone number. “Here’s my number at home. Give me a call tonight if anything new has happened. Okay?”

I nodded as I folded up the paper. “Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.” I held out my hand, and Peter shook it.

I got handshakes from the guys, and hugs from the girls. Michelle was wearing perfume, and that had me spinning a bit.

I sat down again, Betty by my side.

“Tell me, Betty,” I said, looking at her.

She grinned. “You’ve been spending too much time with psychiatrists,” she told me. Then she frowned. “I’m sorry you’re not staying with us. I know I’m prying, but why didn’t you think that would work?”

I sighed, taking her hands. “Betty, I honestly don’t know. I’ll ask Karen. Evidently it was something she discussed with your mom and Doctor Carmichael. That’s all I know.”

Betty nodded. Then she smiled. “So how is it living with Karen?”

I sighed and shook my head. “Betty, it’s weird beyond belief. I mean, if you put up a picture of her and asked guys if they’d like to live with her, who wouldn’t? But.... It’s weird, that’s about the best I can say. You know, you two are a lot alike.”

Betty rolled her eyes and looked up.

I laughed a bit. “No, I mean it. I don’t mean physically—you’re both more mature than a whole lot of the people around us. You feel that, don’t you?”

She nodded, with a tight smile.

“Yeah, I know—blessing and a curse,” I said. “She’s more mature, and yet.... I’m learning that there are so many conflicting things going on in each of us. She’s still recovering from her parents’ divorce. I wish we could be doing this in different circumstances, of our own choice. I think she wishes the same.”

Physics was weird. Donna and Rachel came in together, acting like best buds or something. They both gave me lusty looks.

The fat fool was lecturing again, which meant he was talking to the whiteboard most of the time. I had little tolerance for him today. Rachel leaned over and asked how I was doing, whispering in my ear. I looked to her in surprise. She gave me an enigmatic smile. I leaned over and told her I wasn’t sure, and the fool wasn’t helping today. She leaned over and whispered quite warmly that she’d like to help, punctuating her remark with a tongue in my ear.

That definitely caught my interest! We whispered back and forth a while. One of the things she told me, whispered to me was, “Andy, they’re socialites—you need to be with someone from your own tribe.”

I was mulling that over, when, “Mister Wilson, have you been listening to anything I’ve said?” the fat fool called out from the front of the room.

I looked at him. “No, I don’t want to get confused,” I shot back. That got a murmur from the rest of the class. He glowered at me. I stared back. He blinked first, turning back to the board and continuing.

I felt hot breath in my ear. “That was great.” Another warm touch of tongue. I was holding my fists tight.

After class, I bolted. I didn’t want anything to do with him. Donna caught up with me downstairs, heading out to the parking lot. It was raining again. She took my arm and put up her umbrella.

“That was, like, so cool, the way you did that!” she chortled.

I shook my head. “Donna, that wasn’t a very nice thing for me to do.”

“I don’t care about that—it was right on!”

We drove over to City. In the parking lot, in the pouring rain, she pinned me to my seat. Her body felt magnificent. Her body was magnificent.

“Andy,” she said, pulling up for air for a moment, “I know this is hard on you. Let us help you through it.” She said the last part with a wicked grin, then dived back into a kiss, putting my hands on her breasts. I needed a nipple.

I made it out of the car alive. I ran to the nearest building, not seeing Karen. I’d see her back at her house.

After math, I headed through buildings as much as possible to get to the spot where I usually met Emily. She was outside the building, wearing a raincoat and holding an umbrella. We hurried to her car.

“How are you doing, Andrew?” she asked as we headed off.

I shook my head. I’d been thinking about how to answer that question for the last fifteen or twenty minutes.

“I’m screwed up. It’s like I’ve pulled back and withdrawn, or inside a shell or something. Everything is so distant now, where I was so close and involved before.”

She nodded. “Some times distance is good—it lets us make decisions free from emotional bias.”

“But it’s not good when it cuts off feelings, leaving me feeling numb. Being present in the world means experiencing things to their fullest, experiencing the rose both petals and thorns. In an instant, a barrier surrounded me. In the past, I felt it was a protective barrier. But now I know it prevents me from feeling, from living, and from letting those feelings out. That’s not good.”

She nodded. Her eyes flicked left and right, looking at traffic. “We’re going to my office. Carl is meeting us there. We’ll get more of a chance to talk on Wednesday. You need to strike a balance. Too open and you expose yourself, open yourself up to injury. Too closed and yes, you’re no longer in touch with life.”

“And I was just learning to open up, and experience, to experience things as they is,” I said.

I saw her smile. “It’s a lifelong task.”

We parked in front of her office and ran in. Carl was waiting for us.

“How was your day?” I asked him.

He grinned, sitting forward and leaning on the table. “What do you think of the principal, Mr. Jackson?” he asked

I shrugged my shoulders. “He’s a pompous asshole. It’s hard to have compassion for him. I think that sentiment may be shared by many, including some of his staff.”

Carl nodded. Doctor Chan had worked on school board members over the weekend. Emily had talked to people. Carl had talked to people, including students. They had all been surprised to learn that the school requested, and the district granted, residence waivers.”

“Mostly to jocks,” I interrupted.

Carl nodded. “Exactly. This morning I met with district officials, including their legal representative, and your illustrious principal. The meeting was originally set for nine thirty, but was pushed back at their request to eleven.”

“And?” I asked.

Carl shook his head. “I told them that their actions were causing you harm, and that I had a lawsuit ready to file, including supporting declarations by nationally recognized psychiatrists. I told them that we expected the letter to be withdrawn, a residence waiver granted, and soon. The district people let me know they’re feeling heat from board members, that they were looking into the situation, and they would act promptly on any request they received.”

“And does Jackson have a clue?” I asked.

Carl gave us a very dark smile. “No. He’s a real piece of work. From what I gather, the first thing he did this morning was deny he’d even sent the letter.”

I nodded. “That’s what Peter said he’d do—deny everything from the start.”

“I met with the district’s attorney afterwards. I let him know we were serious about this, and weren’t willing to let things sit around. He completely agreed with me on their prospects if we go to court—they’ll lose—in court, and in the press. He’s told the district people that.”

I sighed and leaned back. “So what now?”

He nodded. “We wait. Anything happen at school?”

I told him of my morning conversation, and the lunchtime offer from Peter and the Student Council. Carl grinned at that.

“Andy, that’s great. We’ll hold on to that for now. As hard as it is, we want to give these people the opportunity to save face. I know that sounds hard—after all, they’re the ones that started this mess. But by doing that, by giving them the opportunity to right things—at gunpoint—we just might make things a little easier for those who have to deal with them next. Okay?”

I nodded. “I don’t agree, but I understand. What do I do next?”

Carl looked to Emily, then back to me. “Wait, for now. Oh—if anyone from the school, or the district, other than your usual teachers wants to talk to you about this, you tell them you are represented by an attorney, and the district has said that your attorney must be present at any such conversation. Show them this.” He handed me a piece of paper. Your illustrious principal had this explained to him. Hang in there. This should be over soon.”

“How long is soon?” I asked.

“Andy, a week or two. I know that seems like a long time, but for legal matters, it’s practically instantaneous.”

I shook my head. “That’s two weeks with a knife twisting in our guts day in and day out.” Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Emily writing that down.

She said, “Andrew, this will resolve itself in your favor, and soon. You can do it. You will win this battle.”

“And have the scars to prove it,” I said softly.

Not much they could say to that. After some nodding, Carl said, “I’ll drop you at the house.” We stood up.

“Andrew, I’ll see you Wednesday afternoon,” Emily told me, holding my hands.

I knew they were trying to help. “Thank you, Doctor Carmichael,” I told her.

Carl dropped me off. Karen was already home, and had dinner going.

“That wasn’t Emily,” she said after we hugged.

“No, it was Carl,” I said, pulling out a kitchen chair and sitting down. I recapped part of the day—skipping the bits about Sherry, Donna, and Rachel and how they acted.

“Damn! I haven’t turned on the cell phone all day. I need to call Beth—she doesn’t have the number here.” I checked voicemail on my cell phone. Beth had called, twice. She sounded worried. I called Peter and filled him in on part of what had happened, telling him to hold off for a while. I left a message at Beth’s house, giving her the phone number, and telling her I needed to talk to her.

She called shortly after dinner. Karen answered the phone, said a few words, handed it to me, and started to leave the room, her head down. I grabbed her hand and pulled her to the sofa next to me.

“Beth, I’m sorry we didn’t give you the number here.”

“That’s okay, Andy. How are you? Did you sleep better last night?”

“Yes, I did. I hope you did as well. Have you talked to Emily and Carl?”

“Yes. I talked to Carl after his meeting earlier in the day, and with both of them a little while ago. It sounds as if things are going as well as possible.”

“Not to me,” I told her. She sighed. We talked a little more. I told her to do well on her finals. She laughed and told me to do the same. I told her I’d call Wednesday.

After hanging up the phone, I turned to Karen. “How are you doing?” I asked.

She smiled a little. “Better, I think. Oh, hold me.” She leaned forward on to me. I held her, whispering again to her, “I’ve got you.” I pulled the blanket folded on the back of the couch over her. The storm was picking up again. I wondered if she had an extra umbrella I could use tomorrow.

She went to sleep in my arms. I dozed off a while as well. I woke to her moving. She sat up quickly, as did I. It was half past ten. We kissed briefly, then got up. We stood in the hall together. “I can hold you more,” I offered. She looked in my eyes. She sighed, her decision made. “Sleep well,” she said, kissing me on the nose. “You can use the bathroom first.”

The next morning, we did find an extra umbrella. It was really raining now, and weather reports were that the storm was going to get worse—we were in for a pounding.

We spent French talking about the weather. It was fun. As we parted after class, Karen told me not to wait dinner—she’d be home around nine or so after her study session.

Driving over to school with David wasn’t fun—the wind was picking up, and we ended up parking at the far end of the student lot. Sherry wasn’t in study hall.

About halfway through math the lights flickered a few times and went out. We were on the second floor of the building, with windows along one side. It was gray and very stormy outside. Some of the girls gasped in surprise. Ellis was pretty calm about it. After about fifteen minutes, the door to the room opened, and a teacher stuck her head in. “Power is out all over the area. School is canceled for the day—everyone is to clear the campus.”

Some kids cheered. I looked to Betty—she looked worried. How the hell was I supposed to get anywhere in this downpour?

Ellis said, “Well, I guess that’s it for today. See you all tomorrow, I hope. Dismissed.”

I grabbed on to Betty as we walked out the door. I’d see to it that she got home. As we walked down the hallway, I heard Rachel call out, “Andy! Andy!”

I turned with Betty, and went over to her.

“You guys need a ride?” she asked.

“Boy, do we ever!” I said. Betty nodded.

Rachel said, “Okay, let’s go. I’ve got two others to drop off as well.”

We met two other girls, and headed out to Rachel’s car. “Betty, you sit up front,” Rachel said. That put me in the back, with two other girls. Michelle was one of them. She was a little shorter than Rachel, and really built. She gave me a look of pure lust. “Need some place to stay today?” she asked me. The other gal, Roberta, laughed, as did Rachel. Rachel said, “I’m taking him home.” Michelle put on a pout. I laughed a little.

Roberta was dropped off first. We dropped off Michelle next—she gave me a very good kiss and a feel before she got out and ran shrieking to her house. Then it was Betty’s turn.

“You can move up here,” Rachel said, looking back at me.

“I’ll stay put for a bit,” I said. Did I see her nostrils flare?

“We’re going to my place for a while. We need to talk,” she said.

I nodded. Talking is good. Did I have any condoms with me, in case out conversation drifted in that direction? I usually had two in my wallet.

Power seemed to be off all over the place. We went into her house and started a fire in the fireplace. I needed to use the bathroom. She pointed me to one. When I got done, and returned to the family room and the fireplace, she’d lit candles. She’d also changed clothes—she was wearing a velvet top and sweat pants—an interesting combination. As I got closer to her, I smelled perfume. It was going to be a good talk, I could tell.

She patted the couch next to her. I sat down, our knees touching.

“Andy, how are you doing? This is hell on you, isn’t it?”

I sighed. “Yeah, it is. I don’t know what’s going on any more. I hope this gets resolved soon, that’s all.”

She leaned back, smiling and extending her arms. “Let me hold you, Andy.”

I didn’t need two invitations like that. I moved over to her. She pulled my head to her chest. I hadn’t been sure if she was still wearing a bra. Now I was sure—she wasn’t. She pulled my head to her, wrapping her arms around me. I was enveloped in softness, warmth, and perfume. I sighed, then moaned as she slipped a hand behind my head. I started breathing deep, through my nose. I exhaled, and she squeezed me, saying, “Relax Andy, I’ve got you.” After a few breaths like that, I was floating in her arms.

My arms had worked their way around her waist. Her voice was getting farther and farther away, even though I could feel her hand at the back of my head, her voice telling me to let go and go deeper for her, let go and go deeper.

She moved some, and I tried to hold on, but I was so relaxed. Then there was a nipple in my mouth. I moaned as I took it, and she held me again, and her voice told me to go deeper.

I was still floating in that dream when I went down on her in front of the fire. She’d put perfume on her mound. She held me and cried out as I devoured her.

I was on my back in the dream, and she was on top of me, rocking strongly, moaning and playing with herself. I shifted my hips and she shook, looking down on me with a smile. She leaned forward and gave me a perfumed nipple. She held my head, holding it up to her. Her breast was slick with sweat.

“Andy, come now!” she moaned. She didn’t have to say that twice. I pumped into her. She moaned and laughed, holding me to her.

She eased me back to the floor, holding me to her all the time. She started whispering, “Let go, Andy. Deep asleep for me. Deep asleep. Let go.” I floated off into the void.

End of Part 5

Rev 8/29/2000