The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Goddess Blessed

by J. Darksong

Ch. 3)

Patrolling during the day was a bit different than during the night. I wasn’t quite sure yet which I preferred. Night patrols were definitely a bit more ‘clear cut’—someone robbing or stealing, trying to break into someplace they shouldn’t be. Occasionally, it would be a violent assault, someone getting mugged, or, heaven forbid, raped. And the perpetrators were a mixed bag, anything from the small-time hood to the criminal mastermind. But at least you knew what you were up against.

Daytime apparently changed all the rules. For one thing, it was harder to hide and lurk in the shadows in the broad daylight. It was easier for the police and any other nearby Supers to jump in and break up any criminal activity before it even gets started. As a result, only the bravest, boldest, or most foolhardy attempt crimes during the day. I had to admit, the increased danger and risk of confronting a daytime super criminal had me equal parts excited and nervous. No matter, all I needed to do was keep a clear head and trust that I was prepared for anything—

“You know, the quality of video games have really reached a plateau in the recent months, don’t you think?”

Well... prepared for anything except my ‘partner’ for the day.

“I mean, don’t get me wrong! In terms of graphics, sound, and playability, it’s the best it’s ever been. And talk about immersion—games like Breath of the Wild and Final Fantasy Fifteen, are so immersive and so expansive that you can completely lose yourself in the reality of the story and almost forget it’s just a game! Heck, I’ve even played them both using my own virtual reality system, and you can REALLY lose yourself in the story that way.”

I sighed inwardly. Megan Tanner, the Super known as Techna, was very cute. Sexy even, in that bookish, hot, ‘repressed sexy librarian’ kind of way. I certainly had nothing against her. And I certainly wouldn’t kick her out of my bed, if she ever managed to find her way into it.

“It’s just that, once you reach the peak, where do you go from there?” she asked, rhetorically. At least, rhetorically to me—I certainly had no answer for her. I had no idea what the hell she was talking about! “It’s why second and third party games have made such a big splash these days! Those so-called ‘Indie games’ are so successful because they keep it simple, in terms of graphics and scale, and focus on the story, and the fun factor! And you can download a great enthralling game on Steam for nine ninety-five that will keep you immersed and entertained for weeks instead of shelling sixty dollars for a game of the same overall quality put out by a major gaming company!”

“Uh huh,” I said dismissively, staring down at the streets below, wishing something would happen. Again, nice girl... but I really had no connection to her. When she let out a long deep sigh, however, it did catch my attention enough that I glanced at her.

“Sorry. I guess I got caught up blabbing away again,” she said softly. “Truth is, I guess I’m just trying to keep my mind off what I’ve really been thinking about the past couple of weeks.”

“Oh? And what’s that?” I asked, mildly curious now.

“Well... I got a phone call from a friend of mine a while back,” she said, cheeks reddening slightly. My interests suddenly peaked dramatically, recognizing the signs. This ‘friend’ of hers was apparently more than just a friend. Or maybe, she hoped he or she might be. “Her name is Josie... and she’s this big heroine over in Century. She recently came to River City a few weeks back, and I helped her on a case.” She sighed softly, glancing down. “She’s... had a really rough time, yanno? The woman she loved died in front of her years ago, a victim of a bank robbery gone wrong. The same kind of thing that happened to Katie Frasier... only Josie chose to vent her pain and anger by becoming a masked vigilante beating up criminals.”

I nodded at that. I was quite familiar with young Katie’s trauma, and the backlash caused from it. I suppose I had to applaud Josie’s approach to dealing with her pain. I was no therapist or anything, and I had no idea of what Josie’s powers or abilities were, but considering that she hadn’t tried to take over or destroy the world in her grief, I’d say she was doing pretty okay.

“Anyway,” Techna continued, “the info I helped her dig up was what she needed to finally track down the person responsible for her lover’s death. I’d... actually been a bit worried about her, about what she’d do to the guy if she finally caught up to him.” I grunted at that. I’d like to think I’ve changed a lot since the day that psychotic BITCH killed my mom, but honestly, if she were still alive and I ran into her today, I know exactly what I’d do to her. And it wouldn’t be pretty.

“You should go visit her,” I advised her. “Really. Take some time and pay her a visit. Make sure she’s okay, and if she is, well, just hang out and spend time together.”

“I, er, well... I wanted to,” Megan replied, the blush returning again. “We only spent a little time together but it was definitely... memorable. But, well... she’s going through a big readjustment period right now, and she said she just needs some space, yanno? A lot has happened, and she’s still a little... unsure of herself. And I get that. So much of her life for the past five years was about tracking down her lover’s killer. It was the reason she put on the mask in the first place. Now that she’s fulfilled that mission and avenged her, she’s kind of at a loss.”

“You like her, don’t you?” I asked, teasingly, delighted to see her blush deepen. “Now, now, dear, no need to be shy! Love and relationships are kind of what I do, after all. My best advice for you would be to simply keep doing what you’re doing—be a friend to her. Let her know you’re interested, but don’t push. Let her make the first move. And, of course, be prepared for her to occasionally shut down or pull away. She’s dealing with a lot of emotions right now, and even if she DOES want to pursue something meaningful with you, the pain in her heart has to heal before she can share it with you fully.” Techna nodded in agreement.

Before I could continue, however, a familiar high pitched sound caught my attention. I glanced sharply to the left, spying the telltale flashing lights of a trio of police cars. “Looks like a high-speed chase,” I pointed out as they drew steadily closed. “Should we try and help?”

Techna smirked, adjusting her goggles, peering at the approaching line of cars. “Well, I doubt your seduction powers would be very effective at stopping a speeding car, but yes, I think we might be able to lend the police our assistance. Let’s head back down to my motorcycle.”

I rolled my eyes a little as I followed my ‘senior’ partner off the roof to the alleyway where we’d parked. A nice little benefit of being paired with her was the fact that she did come with her own high tech mode of transportation. Still, her little joke didn’t sit well with me and I felt obliged to retort. “Hey! My seduction powers are nothing to trifle with. I’ll have you know that if I truly decided to let loose, my body could, figuratively and literally, stop traffic.”

Techna giggled at that, but before she could comment, the sound of the sirens increased as the cars sped by our position. “C’mon,” she said, starting her bike. “Let’s catch up to them before they—”

And just like that, there was no longer a need to chase anyone. As we watched in horror, the driver of the lead car skidded out, unable to make the sharp turn ahead, slamming his car into the side of a building, spinning wildly, before coming to a rest against a steel light post. “Shit!” I yelled, as Techna and I leapt back off the bike, sprinting the few yards across the street to the scene of the accident.

The police were all gathered around the car by the time we reached the site. Their guns weren’t drawn, however. There was no need. Assuming the driver of the crumpled and mangled wreck had actually managed to live through his sudden stop, he would certainly be in no shape to put up a fight. The sergeant in charge glanced up as we approached. “Hey, Techna, um... uh...” he floundered, glancing at me.

“It’s ‘Divine’, darling,” I said with a small pout. I know I was just getting started in the hero business and all, but at the very least the police I now worked with should know my name! “What’s the situation? Who was this guy? Drug dealer? Gunrunner?”

The sergeant shook his head. “That’s the tragic part. It’s just a dumb ass kid.” He glanced at his notepad. “Felicia Bradshaw, age eighteen. College freshman. We pulled her over because she was weaving around in the lanes, suspected drunk driving. When I asked for her license, she panicked and sped off.”

I blinked in surprise at that. A college freshman? Just a normal kid making a bad choice to drink and drive, then another bad choice to run from the police. And it had cost her her life...

“She’s still alive!” Techna called out suddenly, causing us to turn. She was staring intently at the wreck, her goggles glowing slightly. “I’m checking her vital signs... she’s definitely in bad shape. Broken arm, leg, clavicle. Definite concussion. But yes, she is definitely still alive! We need to get an ambulance here as soon as possible!”

“One’s already on the way,” the sergeant confirmed, patting his radio. “Called them in as soon as she slammed into the building. They’re about five or ten minutes out. Still, it’s going to be a mess pulling her out of that wreck. I don’t suppose you two have anything that might be of help?”

Techna frowned, tapping a finger lightly to her chin. “Actually, I think so. I have an industrial strength cutting laser on my bike. If I make some really precise cuts along the main structural joints of the car’s frame, we should be able to remove the crumpled exterior with little problem.”

I nodded absently, frowning. There was something wrong here... something that everyone else was overlooking, but I couldn’t figure out what... oh shit! “Everyone get back!” I yelled suddenly, as the thin wafting smell of gasoline I’d detected suddenly increased dramatically. Pushing everyone back, I spun around to see what I’d dreaded actually happen. The vehicle’s gas tank, damaged from the crash, had expelled its payload, and the front of the car burst into flames.

“Ahhhhh! Shit!” Techna yelled as she and the police officers pulled back a bit further from the heat. “We need to get that fire out ASAP! Is there a fire hydrant nearby?”

“Ah... um... I don’t...” the sergeant began, glancing around.

“No way, Sgt. Anderson,” another officer called out. “The closest one to this block is around the corner. And even if we had the tools to pry it open, we don’t have a way of getting the water back here to the car!”

“Damn! Techna, please tell me you’ve got something for this!” the sergeant asked.

The brunette Super merely gaped, shaking her head softly. “I... I don’t... I mean... I, um... I could maybe come up with something... fix some things together... but there’s no time! The gas tank is leaking... that car could explode at any moment!”

And I stood there, watching, watching that half crushed wreck of a car, burning, watched the young girl inside, as she was slowly but surely burnt alive. The police and Techna had nothing. They couldn’t save her. She was going to die. All because she’d made a stupid mistake, a lapse in judgment. And now she was going to burn to death... the same way my mom’s body burned as my childhood home burnt to the ground...

I... don’t know what happened next.

Honestly, looking back a few minutes later, I’m still not sure. I know there was screaming, and heat—goddess bless, the heat—and the smell of smoke. And a few seconds later, a loud ‘KA-THOOM!’ as the burning wreck did in fact explode. And when my head cleared... I saw the driver, bloody and broken, slightly singed, but most definitely alive, in my hands! Somehow, I’d apparently ripped off the entire door, and pulled her, seat and all, from the burning wreck with my bare hands!

“Divine?” Techna was saying, pulling on my arms to get me to let go. “It’s okay, sweetie! It’s okay. You can let the EMT’s take over from here, okay?” Shaken, I nodded, releasing my grip. My hands ached. They were a little red but weren’t burned or anything, and neither was the rest of me. I was completely unharmed. Which was wonderful, I guess... because if I’d stopped to think about it, if I’d actually considered what the hell I was doing, I sure as HELL would have not rushed towards a burning car seconds away from exploding...

Would I?

Really, I hadn’t thought about it at all! I hadn’t made the decision to save the girl. My body had just... acted on its own before I’d even known what I was doing. But... I’d charged straight towards a burning car, something that could have seriously hurt or maimed me. Could have... ruined my face. My hands. My body.

“Um, Divine?” Techna asked, concerned. “Are you okay? You’re looking a little green in the gills...”

“Ulp... I think... I’m gonna be sick,” I managed, turning away. Several other vehicles pulled up to the sight as I stumbled into a nearby alleyway and vomited up the contents of my stomach all over the street. Then I laughed, a bit disturbed, yet oddly giddy. I guess that answers my earlier questions about whether or not I was capable of putting someone else’s life before my own, now doesn’t it? I mean, on a subconscious level, I’d known what I was getting myself into... but coming face to face with one’s own mortality in such a way... it definitely struck a chord.

Well. I was understandably a bit of a mess, so I took a few moments to compose myself before returning. When I did, I found the scene bustling with activity. A crowd of curious onlookers was being held back by the police, and firefighters were working on extinguishing the blaze, and keeping it from spreading. There was even a TV crew present, filming the fire, with the cute blonde from the evening news talking with Techna. As I approached, however, they all turned to stare at me. When several of the officers and the crowd began clapping and applauding, I took a step back, going nearly as pale as I had before I vomited!

“Oh! That’s her! This is who I was telling you about,” Techna said, as the cameraman focused directly on me. “This is Divine, one of our city’s newest heroines! She’s the one who saved Ms. Bradshaw from the fire. I was basically just here for support.”

Damn. The media. I wasn’t exactly prepared to be grilled on TV just now. Under normal circumstances, sure, I would have loved nothing better than to primp and preen before a live audience. Now? I was a freaking mess. When the reporter approached, microphone in hand, asking me questions about what I did, how it felt, and whether or not I was afraid, I took a deep breath, straightened out my dress, and looked her square in the eye.

“I’m sorry, Brenda. I’m not really ready for an interview. I can’t give you what you need. Yes, I helped that poor girl out of that burning car. Yes, I was afraid at the time. Frankly, I’m still a bit rattled. But if you’re wanting to talk to a REAL hero, then talk to any of those men in the blue uniforms behind us,” I said, pointing to the police officers. “I put on a mask and flashy costume, and I help out, now and again. Those men and women do this all the time. Techna and I just happened to be here for this crisis. If you want a good story, you should talk to them.” With that, I turned and walked back towards the ambulance.

Megan, more adept and used to dealing with the press, turned and spoke to them a bit more, smoothing things over, I believe. I was fine with that. My concerns were more with the young college student. Sergeant Anderson from glanced up as I got close. “How is she?” I asked, peering over his shoulder as the workers loaded a bandaged, boarded, and secured Felicia into the back of the ambulance. He sighed, shaking his head, and my expression dropped.

“She’ll live,” he said gruffly, causing me to turn and glare back at him. “Sorry, didn’t mean to mislead you. I was shaking my head at easily how all of this could have been avoided.” I nodded, sighing in relief. “You know, Ms. Divine... I have to say, you surprised me.”

I shrugged. “I kind of surprised myself today,” I muttered, “but did you mean something specific?”

“Actually, yes,” he stated, making me frown. “Let me be frank with you, ‘Divine’. I know who you are. Or... I guess I should say, who you used to be. I was on the force back in the day when Venus Satore took over most of the city, the police and many of the city’s heroes, and lead us in a parade down Main Street. Hell, I’m one of the few people that actually remember exactly how that all went down... and how you and Super Sonic pretty much took each other out there at the end.”

I froze, tensing up as he kept his gaze level with my own. “To be honest, when the Chief signed off on you becoming a badged Super, and your friend Parker Albinn vouched for you, I was sure this was all some kind of put on, an act, part of some plot of yours to worm your way into the police department hierarchy, or to somehow take down the system from within. And I wasn’t exactly quiet about my opinions, either. I vowed to keep an eye on you, to see if you’d really turned over a new leaf, or if this was all some kind of sham.”

“I see,” I replied thinly, chin up. “And what exactly have you decided, Sergeant?”

Anderson shook his head again, a habit I was beginning to find annoying. “If anyone had bet me money on whether or not you’d reformed, I would have mortgaged my house to cover that wager. But damn me if I wasn’t wrong about you.” He sighed, staring at the ambulance as it drove off, heading to the nearby hospital with the patient in tow. “There’s no way the old Venus Satore, a woman who looked down on everyone as if they were beneath her, would have charged straight at a burning car, risking her own self to wrench the occupant out just in the nick of time. Hell, I saw your face when you did it. You didn’t even think about it, right? Your body just moved, didn’t it?” Annoyed, embarrassed, I simply nodded. “That, Ms. Divine, is the mark of a true hero. Think of it as a kind of ‘flight or fight’ response. Most people run away from danger. But someone with the spirit of a hero runs towards danger. Not for a cheap thrill or anything... but because they honestly and truly don’t want people to suffer.”

Huh. I blinked at that. “Um... thanks. I hadn’t expected something that deep and insightful coming from you, Sergeant.” He merely chuckled.

“Yeah, I get that from my wife too sometimes. At any rate, I just wanted to say good job... and keep it up.” He turned to leave, but paused, considering. “So, I have a question. Are you actually a real honest to goodness Goddess... or just a really uniquely powered Super?”

“Yes,” I replied simply, smirking, as I turned and walked away, leaving him scratching his head.

“Hey, you feeling better now?” Techna asked me as she joined me a moment later.

“Yeah. You know, I think I am,” I replied with a nod, a smile forming on its own. “C’mon, partner,” I said, sliding onto the back seat of her bike. I wanted to put this all behind me and move on. “Let’s head out. I’m sure there are plenty of other people out there that could use some help.”

* * *

Larissa Jacobson growled in frustration as she flopped down onto the couch of her workshop. The supplies she’d managed to obtain—not through any kind of legal means, of course—lay scattered on the surface of her workbench where she’d tossed them half an hour ago. Objectively, she should have been happy at managing to bring back what she had, all things considered. And yet... she couldn’t help but focus on the fact that she’d been bested yet again by that goddamned slutty walking calculator!

“Rrrrrrroboticaaaaa!” she growled, slamming a fist down hard onto the table. “That damned bitch! How the FUCK does she always show up just in time to ruin my goddamn fun?!? And why.... why can’t I ever send her to the scrap yard where she belongs?”

“Probably because you’re a nut job that talks to herself,” a female voice replied, matter-of-factly.

Ms. Machina whirled around in shock, the pulse gun sliding automatically into her hand with practiced ease as she turned to face the intruder. She blinked in surprise. “You? Who the fuck are you?” she asked, scowling at the tall blonde mohawked woman in her doorway. “And how the hell did you get past my security?”

“Security?” Janet asked, eyebrow raised in amusement. “Do you mean those walking trash cans you had set up outside?” she asked, tossing a large crumpled ball of steel onto the ground in front of her. “If that’s what passes for your home security system, I can see why you keep losing to your nemesis.”

“Talk, now,” Larissa growled, taking aim for the center of the blonde’s head, “and you’d better make it good, or you’re gonna have a seriously bad time. Who are you and what are you doing in my lair?”

“My name is...” Janet paused, considering. “Hmmm. You know, it hasn’t really come up before now. I guess I should come up with a new moniker. I can’t really keep calling myself Janet Shaw now that I’ve turned to the ‘dark side’...”

Ms. Machina sighed inwardly. “You know what? I changed my mind. I don’t care what your name is. Or, rather, was! You came by at the perfect time! I was looking for someone to vent a little rage onto!” With that she fired, shooting Janet directly in the face with a plasma blast. Her vicious smile faltered, however, as the smoke cleared, revealing an equally smirking blonde, completely unhurt and unfazed by the blast.

“Thanks for that,” she said idly, making a show of cracking her knuckles. “After tangling with your so-called security, I needed a recharge. So... Ms. Machina is it?” she said, stalking towards the startled villainess. “You said something about ‘venting a little rage’? Just so happens I know a thing or two on the subject. Allow me to show you how it’s really done!”

“I don’t think so, bitch!” Larissa growled, taking a step back. The implants within her body came alive as she backed up slowly, moving right into the path of her large heavy metal backpack, leaning idly against it. As metal touched skin, it merged, fusing with her body and reforming around her, creating her armored battle suit. She laughed at the startled expression on Janet’s face as she rose up, now towering over the six foot tall Amazon with her new ten and a half foot height. “Sorry to disappoint you,” her mechanized voice called out, as she stomped towards the blonde intruder, “but I don’t just have my creations do the fighting for me. When push comes to shove, I know how to cut loose and get down ’n dirty with the best of ’em!”

Rearing back, she swung a metal armored fist, striking the hapless Janet, lifting her off her feet and sending her flying through the nearby wall and into the main warehouse area. Hardly finished, Ms. Machina charged through the same hole, following her, ready to dish out more punishment. “Oh, good!” she said in savage delight as the mohawked woman rose back up to her feet. “I was hoping you weren’t dead just yet. I have a whole lot more frustration to take out!”

Janet grunted as a titanium booted kick sent her flying once more. She groaned softly, skidding against the concrete several feet later, shaking her head slightly. She was beginning to get pissed. Not quite yet... but getting there. “Well, sorry to disappoint you,” she shot back, tossing the mechanical wonder’s words back at her, “but you’re in for a lot more frustration fighting me. I don’t go down easily. And even when I do, I don’t STAY down!”

“We’ll see about that!” Machina yelled as several panels on her suit opened up. A barrage of micro missiles launched out, targeting and locking onto Janet, before lighting up the room with a series of thunderous explosions. As the smoke and stench of cordite filled the area, Larissa sighed softly to herself. Well... that was certainly therapeutic... but in the end, a hollow victory. The one I really wanted to blow to smithereens was Robotica, not some blonde Mr. T nutjob. Worse... I wasted ammo on her when the whole point of today’s robbing spree was to try and replenish my stock supply! She shook her head, turning back towards her office. Damn... that’s just like me. Always one step forward, two steps back...

Suddenly, she felt a tug, her battle suit seemingly caught on something. Glancing back, she gasped, gaping in utter disbelief at the sight of the naked blonde, standing in the center of a glowing fiery ring of rubble, holding tightly to her suit’s left leg. “Uh uh uh,” she said, her eyes flashing crimson. “This fight isn’t over!” Machina cried out in pain, her implants transmitting the sensation of her leg being crushed as Janet’s grip began to buckle the reinforced metal armor. “In fact,” she said with glee, wrenching off a shining metal plate, holding it up for her opponent to see, “we’re just getting started!”

Mere moments later, the fight had been decided. Ms. Machina had put up a valiant fight, even as she finally realized the truth about the person she was fighting. When a punch from Janet shattered what was left of her suit, sending her tumbling to the ground in a heap, she merely closed her eyes, preparing for the inevitable. “Fine,” she panted, wiping the blood from her forehead out of her eyes. “You win! You’ve beaten me!” She spat on the ground next to her. “But don’t expect me to beg for my life. Whatever you plan to do to me, go ahead. I’m not gonna give you the satisfaction—uuurkk!”

“Oh, my dear, Ms. Machina,” Janet purred, her voice low and dangerous, “if I wanted you to beg and plead, believe me, you would.” Her hand tightened ever so slightly around the struggling brunette’s neck, cutting off her air. “And as for ‘satisfaction’,” she said, looking her over with a critical eye, “you’re not really my type. I like a few more curves on my women. But as to why I’m here,” she said, squeezing a little more, just to the point where Larissa was about to pass out, then released her, letting her fall to the ground in a heap, “I actually need your help.”

Gasping, breathing deeply, Larissa said nothing for a long moment, before breaking out into a painful rasping laugh. “Help? You want... my help?” she managed through her aching throat. “If this... is how you ask... someone for help...” she said, finally sitting up again, “you’re even more... of a psycho... than I thought...”

Nonplussed, Janet extended a leg, not-so-gently kicking Larissa back down flat on the pavement again. “I said I need your help. I never said anything about asking for it. In point of fact,” she said, planting a foot in the middle of her chest, pinning her down, “I’d actually planned on dosing you with a rather potent mind control drug... something I picked up recently in Crescent City. From what I’m told, it would have ensured obedience, rendering you little more than a mindless thrall.” Larissa’s eyes widened. “BUT... I only have three doses, and I wasn’t sure how effective it would be on you with all the cybernetic augmentation you’ve done on your own body,” she stated, removing her foot, turning away. “Besides, I needed you for your technical expertise and creativity... and rotting your brains on one of the Confectioner’s serums would have really been counterproductive.”

Larissa shuddered. Nearly everyone in the criminal underworld knew about the Confectioner, one of Crescent City’s most dangerous villains. He had disappeared from public life twenty years ago, seemingly without a trace, though speculation as to what happened continued to run rampant. One thing was universally agreed on, however. The man was a sadistic and psychotic genius, whose flavorful concoctions were some of the most dangerously potent mind-altering substances ever created. If her evil adversary did indeed have a sample of the sweet loving villain’s formula, then she’d likely just escaped a fate worse than death.

“At any rate,” Janet continued on, oblivious to her discomfort, “I need you for your technical abilities. I plan on taking on a number of very powerful Supers in the next few days, and I need a way to counteract their abilities and contain them. That’s where you come in. All the equipment you need is back at my apartment. I just need you to put it together and make it usable.”

“Okay... you’ve got my attention,” Machina stated carefully, sitting up again. “Who is it that you’re going after?”

“My target is Venus Satore,” Janet said with a scowl. “I believe you’re already familiar with her. She’s dangerous, but in and of herself not as big a threat as the others she hangs around with... mainly the heroes Echo, Shinobi, Ghost Girl, and Discharge.”

Larissa whistled. “Yeah, I’m familiar. Pretty tall order there. Taking on any one of them would be troublesome, but trying to take them ALL down...”

Janet scowled at them. “Unlike you and most of your fellow villains, I actually have a plan. I don’t intend to go in blindly. The equipment I brought back from Crescent City should be effective at neutralizing each of their special abilities... once it’s up and running, that is. As for the heavy lifting, well, as you’ve already seen, I’m no slouch myself!”

“Yes, I noticed,” Machina replied, rubbing her chin tenderly. “So... your power? Your special ability... you absorb kinetic energy, right?” Janet raised an eyebrow. “That’s why all my bombs and missiles had no effect, and how you could take blows that would a shatter a mountain without a scratch. The more I hit you, the more powerful you became.”

“Heh. Exactly,” Janet replied with a nod. “It’s the same with most energy blasts as well, especially high powered beams like plasma. I can take pretty much anything anyone throws at me and throw it right back at them.” She sighed. “Still, I’m not invincible. Even I have my weaknesses. There’s a limit to how much damage I can absorb, after all. I can’t handle all of them by myself... so while you work on creating the counters I need for Satore’s little strike force, I’ll see about recruiting a few more members of my own.” She stopped, frowning, glancing down at herself. “Well, after I raid your room for some clothes to cover myself, that is.”

And by recruiting, I bet she means using that damned serum, Larissa thought to herself. Still, better some poor unsuspecting sap than me...

“Oh, and Ms. Machina?” Janet called over her shoulder, causing her to glance up. “This pretty much goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway. Don’t try anything funny. Try to sabotage or rig up something to turn the tables on me, or betray me to my enemies, and there won’t be anywhere you can hide from me, no place that will be safe from my wrath.” She smirked. “You’re a smart woman. The only reason you’re not dead or a mindless zombie right now is because I need your brain power. But I need a conniving sneaky traitor in my midst much much less. Do we understand each other?”

Larissa swallowed. “Yes. We do indeed.”

“Good. Now, show me where you keep your clothes,” she said, walking back towards the office, “though I seriously doubt anything you own will fit me. I have some work to do...”

* * *

I glanced up as the bedroom door opened, then sighed softly, glancing back down at my feet. I’d been in mostly the same spot for the past hour or so, staring numbly at the wall. I suppose I was still just a bit in shock from earlier. I’d continued on with Techna, making it through the rest of our patrol, but she could tell that I was distracted. I’m almost positive she steered us away from anything more serious than a purse snatcher or drug dealer. Still, we did do some good, stopping a few petty criminals and helping a few more damsels in distress. But honestly, by the time she decided to call it a day, I was more than ready.

“Hey, V,” Parker said gently, sitting down on the bed next to me. “Tough day, huh?”

I smirked at that. Leave it up to him, to sum up, the entirety of my whirling swirling emotions in three simple words. “Yeah. Tough day,” I replied, leaning into him, taking comfort in his presence. “Techna filled you in?”

“She filled in the details, yes,” he said, reaching for the TV remote on my dresser. “But I got the major highlights from the news.” He sighed softly, hugging me with one arm. “I guess it’s officially official now. You’re the city’s newest heroine.”

“Heh. Funny. I don’t really feel so heroic right now.”

“Can’t say that I blame you,” he said, taking my arms, and lifting them, glancing down at my hands. “Good. I see you weren’t actually burnt,” he replied with a sigh. “Your palms are really red, though. Has anyone treated them—”

“The EMT’s treated me on the scene,” I replied, smirking, some of my humor returning. Sheesh, talk about overprotective! I’d make a joke here about him acting like a doting father... except, well, I hadn’t really HAD a father figure to compare him with. My evil adoptive parents sure as hell didn’t qualify.

“Well, just the same, I think we should treat them again, just to be sure. I would imagine they hurt.”

“No more than when I fought Wrecker the other week,” I said dismissively. “My hands are fine. It’s just... the rest of me that’s such a fucking mess,” I murmured, pulling away again. Parker sighed beside me, but stayed quiet, letting me get it out at my own pace. “It’s just... I don’t know how to FEEL about what I did,” I said after a while. “Everyone says I’m some kind of hero for charging in and saving that girl. But... I didn’t even realize what I was doing at the time! I didn’t DECIDE to save her, Parker!” I admitted, eyes beginning to sting with unshed tears. “And really... I don’t know if I could do it again if I was put back into that position. If I’d actually had time to THINK about it—”

“You would have done the exact same thing,” Parker finished for me, causing me to glance back at him. His expression was serious. “Venus, I know what you’re feeling. Seriously, we ALL feel it now and again. We’ve all been there. Hell, given the choice I KNOW I wouldn’t have run towards a flaming car seconds away from exploding. But that’s just it. Sometimes we don’t HAVE a choice. Sometimes, we just have to go against our nature and rush into harm’s way. That’s the secret to being a hero, by the way,” he said, his smirk returning. “When it’s crunch time, you act first, on instinct, and then spend the rest of the time thinking about the why.”

“I... don’t think I can do something like that again,” I admitted, my head down. “I’d freeze. And someone would die because of it.”

“Look, V... this is something you have to come to terms with on your own,” he said after a moment. “Even if I could tell you how to live your life, I wouldn’t do that. It has to be your choice.” He grunted, crossing his arms at his chest. “I did warn you that it wouldn’t be easy. I told you things would get complicated once you committed to actually doing this. This ain’t the Saturday morning ‘Super Friends’ cartoon. A badged hero’s life is dangerous, and you have to accept that.”

“I know that,” I growled back, frustration eating at me. “I got a goddamn close up look at it earlier today, remember? But the question is... HOW do you go back and do it again? How do you keep on putting other peoples lives ahead of your own?” I shook my head ruefully. “I know you guys are all buddy-buddy now, but back in the day, you and Nigel Grimalde hated each other’s guts. I’ve seen the worst moments of your life in my nightmares... I know how badly he and Patty and Angela hurt you. How could you risk your life to save his the night Duncan Frasier bombed his building and trapped Nigel inside?”

Parker stood up, walking to the window. He said nothing, simply staring out at the city for so long I was beginning to worry that I’d pissed him off bringing such a painful part of his past. “You’re absolutely right,” he said finally, turning back to face me again. “What happened when Roni and I tried to save Patty and Angie that night was absolutely the worst moment in my entire life. In my eyes, Nigel Grimalde was the devil incarnate. He’d taken away what was most precious to me in the entire world. I had absolutely no reason to save him. Heck, if anything, I’d have felt completely justified airlifting a tanker truck filled with gasoline and dumping it over the fire.” He chuckled briefly before sighing again.

“Truth be told, I had three very good reasons for rushing into that blazing inferno.” He held up his index finger. “One, I knew him dying would hurt Patty and the others. It would have absolutely destroyed them. And having felt that pain myself, even though we were hardly anything close to being friends, I didn’t want them to experience that.” He held up another finger. “Two, I took an oath when I put on that costume and accepted my badge—to help those in need. The badge doesn’t discriminate, and unfortunately, neither do I. And lastly, number Three,” he said, clicking the remote control, switching on the TV.

“... update on the crash in midtown earlier,” news reporter Brenda Sizemore stated from her anchor chair. “Eighteen-year-old Felicia Bradshaw is listed in critical but stable condition at the Midtown Regional Medical Center. Ms. Bradshaw faces charges of driving under the influence, resisting arrest, and reckless endangerment. Despite the seriousness of the charges, the young college student and her family are just happy that she is alive.”

The image shifted to a tearful older dark haired woman standing just outside a hospital room door. “My daughter made a really stupid decision,” Mrs. Bradshaw stated, wiping her cheeks. “But she’s a good girl. And she’ll pay for her mistakes, but at least she’s alive to learn from them, thanks to that heroic young woman.” She turned to the camera. “Miss Divine... wherever you are, whoever you are, I just want to say thank you. Thank you for my daughter’s life! God bless you!”

I sat there for a moment, digesting the woman’s words. In my mortal life, I could probably count on one hand the number of times someone had thanked me so sincerely and heartfelt for something... hell, for anything. It felt... really good. “So, that’s number three?” I asked as Parker sat down next to me again. “The ‘warm and fuzzy feeling’?”

Parker shrugged. “That’s a part of it, I suppose. The deeper point is that everyone, no matter how bad or evil, or seemingly without worth... practically everyone has SOMEONE that loves and cares about them, even if they themselves don’t realize it. And that someone would be saddened by their loss.” He pulled me to him and kissed me, softly, lovingly. “The reason why I do this is because I know how you and Roni... and my mom and Lucy... how everyone important to me in my life would feel if I died tragically. And I would hope that someday when I’m in danger, some selfless hero or heroine would do the same for me, and the people I care about.”

“You... make a good point. I guess,” I said, sighing softly. “Still... I feel really bad about that girl. Her entire life wasted, because of a simple mistake...”

“Actually, it might not be so bad for her after all,” Parker stated. “I had a talk with Patty Grimalde earlier. She’s not officially part of the Prosecutor’s office anymore, but she told me that her replacement was leaning towards leniency for the girl, considering all the news and media coverage, and the fact that it’s her first offense. She’ll most likely end up with a hefty fine and probation, but even if she does end up serving time, it’ll probably only be a year or two.” I let out a sigh of relief at that. One less concern on my plate.

“Look, Venus,” he said as he stood up again, “I can tell you all day long how selfless and noble I know you to be, but whether you learn to realize and accept it is up to you. You can’t predict how a person will react in the midst of tragedy. Techna was there right beside you, and she and the cops all froze. That doesn’t make THEM bad people. It makes them human. Even the best heroes or heroines can’t save everyone. And even now, after everything, you’re more concerned about the girl you saved than yourself.” He sighed. “The point is, when the time is right, you’ll know in your heart what the right thing to do is. And you’ll do so for the right reasons.” Patting my shoulder, he stood up and walked out of the room, letting me think about his words.

* * *

Samantha Breeson let out a soft sigh as she pushed the door to her apartment closed with her backside, hands still full of groceries. She’d splurged a bit and bought enough to last her for the entire week instead of merely getting enough food for one or two days like usual. She even had enough to entertain company... not that she had any at the moment.

Maybe it’s time to stop sulking around the house, and actually get out and reconnect with the world, she mused, carrying to goods to the kitchen. It’s been months now, and I haven’t even put on the costume. I mean... it’s not as if I’m over the trauma of what happened already, I still get the occasional nightmares... but it’s not nearly as bad as it was. And really, coming straight back home alone every night after work isn’t helping, Molly and Frieda have both jumped back into heroine work again. They’re dealing with their issues. So... maybe I should just bite the bullet and give it a try as well.

A noise from her left caught her attention, however, and the redhead froze as a tall muscular woman blonde in a dark gray sleeveless bodysuit walked in from the hallway. “OH! Wh... who the hell are you?” she asked, taking a step back in surprise.

The woman smirked. “You can call me... Kinestria,” Janet answered, pausing at the kitchen entryway. “Nice place you have here, Ms. Breeson. Very chic. Kind of lonely though... I’m guessing you live alone, huh?”

Samantha swallowed. “I... I... no! My r-roommate, she’s just... running a bit late. But she should be back from work any minute! Please! If you... if you just leave now, no one has to know you broke in here—” Unable to help herself, Janet burst into laughter.

“Oh, man... please! You can stop trying so hard,” she said after a moment. “I am perfectly aware that you’re a Super, Ms. Breeson.” Janet’s grin turned wicked. “Or... do you prefer Fluidia instead?” Samantha’s expression darkened. “Or, maybe you actually prefer the name ‘Sweetie’,” she added with a chuckle, “seeing as how it’s what your last boss called you when he turned you into a brain-dead bimbo bi—aaaacccckkk!”

“Shut up!” Samantha growled hand outstretched, watching with a modicum of satisfaction as the blonde woman’s uniform continued to choke her, constricting steadily around her throat. “Never... mention THAT name... ever again!” she rasped, squeezing just a little bit harder before finally releasing her control over the fabric, restoring it to its original state once more. “Sweet Tooth is a part of my life that I never want to visit again. As for ‘Fluidia’... I haven’t yet decided whether or not I will take up that mantle again. This city has more than enough heroines and heroes out there. I doubt my staying on the sidelines will make that much of a difference.” She turned away. “So, if you’ve come here to recruit me, or offer me some kind of incentive to jump back into that life—sorry. Not interested.”

“Oh, well that’s good to hear,” Kinestria replied, causing her to turn again, “because I’m not here to make an offer. It’s actually more of a demand, really. I’m a rather new villainess, just getting started, and I need a few henchmen to help me eliminate a few of the city’s heroes. And I believe your special talents and abilities would be a great help with that.”

Samantha stared at her for a long moment, before laughing ruefully. “I see. I get it now. You’re crazy, a deranged mental patient, probably escaped from the mental hospital on Edmonds Street. Because you’d have to be crazy to try to intimidate me into helping you... especially considering my feelings after Sweet Tooth. And considering that I nearly choked you out with your own clothing,” she said, raising her hand again, “you must have a death wish as well.”

Janet held up a hand placatingly. “Now, now, I didn’t come here to fight you. I just came here to talk. I promise.” Sam nodded slowly, and Janet lowered her hand just as slowly. Then, with a smirk, she flicked her wrist, tossing a silver dart flying straight at the ginger-haired heroine’s chest. Samantha snarled, clenching her hand into a fist, activating her power, melting the projectile in midflight... only to gasp in surprise as a greenish liquid, the substance inside the dart, splashed all over her chest.

“Aaahhh! You bitch!” she yelled, tapping into her power again, reshaping the melted aluminum dart into a dagger, gripping it tightly in her hand. “That’s it! No more Ms. Nice Gal!” she stated, taking a step towards the blonde intruder.

“Stop. Don’t move,” Janet barked out sharply. Samantha froze, blinking in surprise at her own actions. “Drop the blade. Oh, and just relax a bit, no need to be so stiff. In fact, the more you relax, the better you’ll feel, and the better you feel, the more relaxed you’ll be.”

Samantha sighed softly, feeling very good and very relaxed. “Wh... how... what did you do... to me?” she managed, a wide dopey smile creasing her face.

“Hmmm? You don’t know? I’d have thought after your experience with Sweet Tooth you would have recognized the feeling by now. I drugged you with a very potent mind control serum.” Samantha’s eyes widened, and she stiffened in alarm for a moment before relaxing again. “Actually, if you wanted to be technical, it was you that drugged yourself, when you melted that dart and splashed yourself with the formula. The dart itself had a rubber tip—wanted to be sure I didn’t accidentally inject myself while carrying it around, after all.”

Sammi let out a soft groan, her eyes fluttering. The insidious suggestions given for her to relax and feel better had her stuck in an endless spiral of pleasure and submission. She knew she should feel angry, furious, about what was happening... that she should try and fight, use her powers to knock her adversary out before she could do more harm. But... that seemed like so much WORK, and she felt so nice and relaxed... It was hard to even remember the fact that she needed to fight what was happening, let alone why.

“...don’t need to worry about it, anyway,” Janet’s voice caught her attention momentarily. What had she been saying? Uhhhn... oh well... probably wasn’t that important anyway... no need to worry about it. Still... there HAD been something that had been concerning her, something... important... something she needed to remember...

“...the more you try and remember, the harder it becomes to focus...”

Huh? What... that voice again... telling her... something? It didn’t matter. Sammi’s mind was so befogged that it was taking all of her concentration just to think and remember... It was, therefore, momentarily surprising when she blinked and found herself lying on her carpeted living room floor, and blinked again to find herself completely naked. She tried briefly to sit up, only to find her hands and feet tightly bound in the fluttering, fluidly flowing remnants of her clothing. Yet she didn’t recall using her powers to create them, nor could she understand why she was unable to switch her power off and release herself.

“Don’t worry about it,” Kinestria purred softly in her ear, running a hand deftly down between Sammi’s slick (slick? she was wet?) pussy, teasing her ever so slightly. That concern also faded just as quickly, vanishing before it could fully form. “Everything is all right. Everything is just as it should be.” Sammi nodded softly. Mistress Kinestria was right. Everything was the way it should be.

“You know, pet,” she said idly, nodding once, as a slight tingle melted her gray bodysuit, causing it to slide down her body, pooling on the floor as she stepped out of it, “you’re a lot more useful than I thought you would be. And having you use your powers at my command is kind of fun! I originally thought about using the Confectioner’s serum to turn you back into your previous bouncy bimbo self as ‘Sweetie’.” Sammi’s eyes widened in momentary fear. “But... I changed my mind,” Janet reassured her. “You’ll be much more useful with your brains intact. All that was needed was a little careful reprogramming instead. Don’t you agree, Pet?”

“Yes, Mistress Kinestria,” Sammi replied in relief. “Your obedient pet agrees completely.” The small sliver of her old self shuddered at the words coming out of her mouth. She knew there was something wrong with the situation... but she couldn’t figure out what it was. After all, she WAS Mistress Kinestria’s obedient pet, slave, and fucktoy, as well as her able-bodied minion. She was literally anything her Owner wanted her to be. That was true enough. And yet... it just felt... wrong somehow...

Oh well. It wasn’t that important. No need to stress over it.

Besides, she thought, sighing in pleasure as her Mistress lowered her naked pussy over her face, beckoning her to lick, she had much more important things to focus on at the moment...