The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Goddess Blessed

by J. Darksong & Gbrn32e

Ch. 4)

“Soooo... is there some kind of plan or strategy here,” I asked idly, as my newest partner glanced down at the alleyway below us, binoculars in hand, “or did you just pick this spot at random to camp out in front of?”

Claire Watson, aka Paper Doll, glanced back at me to glare briefly, before turning her attention back to the building in front of us. “It’s more of a calculated guess,” she said after a moment. “Several businesses in this area have been burgled in the past month, and this is one of the few that hasn’t been hit yet.”

I nodded at that. We were back to nighttime patrols again, and this time I’d been paired with the little school girl. And, nothing against her, but we were a little at odds about who was the senior partner here. True, she’d been a heroine longer than I had, and had more practical experience, but I had more actual experience, from both sides of the hero game, as well as more fighting and tactical training. And of course Roni, who was the one who’d put us together, had merely smirked and said ‘I’m sure you’ll figure it out’ before shooing us out the door.

So. Not so much. Neither of us wanted to really press the issue on who was in charge, yet neither of us were really willing to accept the other out of hand. To be fair, the girl was pretty sharp. I wouldn’t have thought of staking out this place in anticipation of catching a wanted criminal. My other chaperones had all adopted a more randomized ‘wander aimlessly until something happens’ method. So I guess that gave her a leg up over me.

On the other hand, this kid was my student, one I was currently training to increase her resistance to mind control. Training that she was showing only marginal progress in, I might add. And it is rather difficult to take orders from someone who can drop to all fours and bark like a dog if I so much as snap my fingers around them!

I was actually considering doing just that when she suddenly stiffened. “Bingo,” she said, handing me the binoculars, gesturing to the far upper right. Peering through the lenses, I blinked in surprise at the garishly costumed figure crawling along the side of the building like a damned spider person or something. From the figure, it was obviously a woman... Arachne maybe? I didn’t know many other Supers with insect powers—

“Ah. It’s Manx,” I declared, handing back the binoculars after a moment. The telltale cat mask showed just for a moment as she shifted position, sliding into the narrow gap of a partially opened window. “I guess that figures. Daring theft of high tech equipment from secured, seemingly impenetrable locations is her M.O. after all.”

“Manx?” Paper Doll asked me, peering after her again. “Hmmm. I see. Are you familiar with her? I know her vaguely from the files... but we haven’t actually crossed paths before.”

“Same here,” I replied, moving to the side of the building, preparing to head down after the cat burglar. “I only know her by her reputation.”

That... wasn’t exactly true. We’d technically met, briefly, during the ‘Incident’. Manx was one of Supernova’s cabal of converted cronies just like myself, just not a part of her inner circle. We’d probably shared less than ten words among each other the entire time. Still, I did know a little about the thief. Swift and agile as her namesake, the girl had literal catlike reflexes. A clever girl as well, quick-witted and sly, more than one heroine had had her captured and defeated only to find the tables quickly turned. I wasn’t sure how much of the file Paper Doll had studied, but I for one didn’t intend to underestimate this little kitty.

Outside the building, I glanced at my partner. “Any idea on how we’re getting inside to track her down?”

Smirking, Claire pulled a playing card from her pocket, the ace of hearts. “Luckily, I brought a ‘key card’,” she quipped, sliding it up along the edge of the doorjamb. A few seconds later, the door gave a series of clicks, and the lock disengaged. “Okay. Follow me,” she said, opening the door, stepping inside, “but stay sharp. We don’t know what we’re dealing with here.” I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and groan.

Fantasik Designs wasn’t what I expected. Manx was well known as a high tech burglar... in that she used high tech gadgets to steal high tech gadgets, some of which she kept, some of which she sold on the black market. But this place apparently lived up to its name. It was full of artsy designs, and streamers and ribbons... pretty much everything you’d expect from an arts and crafts store.

“This place... isn’t exactly what I’d call ‘high tech’,” I whispered to my partner.

“You can say that again,” Paper Doll muttered, glancing around. “Not much of what I’d call technological innovations here.”

“Well, you’d be wrong, then,” a female voice called out from above, causing Claire and I to glance upwards. Before either of us could react, the cagey catgirl dropped a large ball of some kind at our feet, causing an explosion of white powder to engulf us. Shit! I cursed silently, as I inhaled by instinct. I coughed a few times, along with Paper Doll next to me, wondering what we’d just walked into. The answer came a few minutes later when all the strength drained out of my limbs, leaving me as strong as a newborn kitten.

Manx dropped down lithely before us, the permanent grin etched on her plastic cat mask no doubt matching the one of her actual face. “Well, well, well! Looks like I caught myself a couple of nosy little mice poking their noses where they don’t belong.” Glancing at Paper Doll, she tilted her head quizzically to the side. “And you... from that bright pink and white costume, for a moment I thought you were someone else... an old friend. But no matter. You’re pretty cute on your own, sweetie. I’m sure I’ll enjoy playing with you just as much!”

Taking a length of cord from her belt, she neatly and easily tied Claire’s unresisting hands, then mine, and tied them to the metal tines up in the ceiling. She chuckled softly, pushing lightly on my chest, causing me to wince as I swung lightly on my tiptoes. “There now. All wrapped up like a pretty Christmas present. I’d love to unwrap you both right now, but alas... business before pleasure.”

I shuddered, the temporary paralysis from the smoke we’d inhaled beginning to fade. “Ugh... what do... you want... here... anyway?” I managed to ask, wriggling slightly as the feeling began to return to my body.

“Eh? That’s actually a very good question,” she said brightly, sliding her mask up, revealing her face. “I know, I know.... this place isn’t exactly the kind of place someone like me normally hits. But for all it’s cute artsy-blartsy stuff, Fantastik Designs has one particular major technological advancement that no one else in the country has—an absolutely cutting edge state-of-the-art scanner.”

“Uhhhn... sc... scanner?” Paper Doll managed, wiggling in her bindings as well. “What... kind of scanner... could an art store... have... that’s so... valuable?” she rasped.

Manx laughed again, twirling around the room idly, before coming to stand before us again. “Oh, it’s not the scanner in and of itself that’s so valuable. It’s actually what it will allow another nifty little device I recently acquired to do that makes it special. Have you ever heard of a three-dimensional printer? It’s exactly what it sounds like—a printer that is capable of making three-dimensional renderings of anything scanned and fed into its data banks. And I do mean ANYTHING. You could scan a crystal goblet and use it to make a perfect recreation.”

Uh huh. As fascinating as all this was, I was more concerned with getting out of this mess and freeing myself before Manx decided to stop toying with us and deliver the coup de grace. I was well aware that she carried more tricks in that utility belt of hers than just that powder she’d used to paralyze us. And I didn’t much like the idea of being drugged and turned into an obedient slave to a capricious catgirl either. If only I had some way of turning the tables on her...

Huh. Wait a second.

“But... if you already have the 3-D printer,” Paper Doll asked, pulling against the bindings, “what do you need a scanner for? Those machines already have scanners build into them.”

“Very true,” the thief answered, content enough to play twenty questions with my partner. Which I was certainly in favor of. Let her serve as a distraction as much as possible. I didn’t want her to realize what I was up to. “It’s all a question of resolution,” she explained, walking over to the device in question, leaning over it carefully, removing a small set of tools from her belt. “The printer itself has the necessary ability to recreate anything I desire, but to pass off a fake for an original, it has to be intricately detailed enough to pass inspection. Like you, for instance,” she remarked, grinning as she pulled the component she’d been after from the machine. “In your costume, at first glance, you look like my old friend, Luminaire, but up close its easy to tell you’re not her. With this device, I can increase the scanning resolution of my machine by a thousand. I could scan and create a copy of the Mona Lisa that Leonardo DaVinci himself wouldn’t be able to tell was a fake!”

“Wow,” I said, drawing her attention back to me, as I began to shimmy and wiggle slightly in my own bindings, causing my breasts to jiggle enticingly. “That’s... actually pretty impressive. You could steal and replace valuable antiques with fakes, and no one would even notice the difference. For a thief with your abilities, it would be the same as printing money.”

“Exactly,” she said grinning, her eyes, I noticed, watching the rise and fall of my breasts. “In fact, that will be the ultimate test of my machine, I plan to scan and print ten thousand dollars in fake money, tens, twenties, and hundreds, and scatter them all over town to test how well they pass as genuine.”

“But money,” I said, shimmying again, wiggling my hips this time, smiling slightly as her gaze dropped lower, “that’s a bit hard to pull off, don’t you think? They use very special paper for that, material that’s as much cotton cloth and fibers as it is paper. Something like that will be really difficult to obtain, right?”

She shook her head. “Not at all. That’s the beauty of my plan. The 3-D printer can create the exact texture, color, size and shape of whatever I scan into it. If I scan a twenty dollar bill, it will create one that folds and tears the exact same way... that... mmmm... that weighs the same amount... even smells the same... as the real thing.”

My smile increased just the tiniest bit more. The girl was smart and wary, but distracted enough that she was falling under my spell. I couldn’t take full advantage of my glamour this way, all tied up, but I could certainly use my ample assets to lull her into a nice relaxed and vulnerable state. All I had to do was keep her talking and distracted—

“We’re not going to let that happen, Manx!” my dimwitted partner shouted, growling, struggling fitfully in her own bond, shattering the spell and regaining Manx’ attention once more. “We’ll get out of this somehow, and you’ll be the one all tied up and ready for transport to the county jail!”

Manx, frowning slightly, her eyes suddenly clear and alert again, shook her head. “No... I don’t think so. I’ve got what I came here for, sweetie,” she said, reaching into her belt pouch. “I’ve finished with my business, so I think it’s time for a little... pleasure.“

Gaaaaahhh! I wanted to strangle her! Probably a good thing my hands were tied, else Paper Doll would have been reduced to confetti! Damn... nothing for it not but to go for it. Screw being subtle... I just hope I can pull it off before she realizes what’s happening.

“Yes, well, if it’s pleasure you’re after,” I said seductively, amping up my aura to its highest, “then I think you’re talking to the wrong girl. That’s more MY department after all.” Manx’ eyes widened as she stared at me, her jaw dropping as I began to writhe and undulate slightly, my body moving within the confines of the ropes tying me. “And believe me, Kitten,” I said, licking my lips, “I know exactly what it is you truly want... and how to give it to you.”

“You... know... what I truly... want,” Manx said numbly, wavering slightly in place, before suddenly shaking her head. “N-no... no! You’re... trying to... to...” she said trailing off, her eyes locked to mine. “You’re... doing something to me...” she said softly, swaying in place again.

My grin turned wicked. “Yes, dear, I am. I’m seducing you... enticing you with my beauty. My body. My sex... appeal.” I said, working my hips. Shakira was right—hips don’t lie, and mine were telling a tale of their own as I wove my spell over the hapless little thief. This was my area of expertise, my forte. This is where I truly shone. And... that aside, it wasn’t just an act. The danger, the risk of all of this, and the act of enslaving a super criminal under these conditions... it was really turning me the fuck on!

Manx’ eyes were fluttering, my words and my gaze having a powerful effect on her. My eyes were hypnotic, and my breasts were alluring. Both were drawing her in, pulling at her in ways she couldn’t begin to understand. I could almost hear the thoughts, what few were still left rolling around inside her head: can’t look away... but where is it safe to look? Not her eyes... too dangerous. Her... breasts, maybe? Mmm... ohh goddess... n-no! Maybe... lower... her hips? Yess... hips... seems safe... wiggling... jiggling... sexy...

Ahhh... a smart move, but still utterly futile. The ropes holding my arms above my head gave me just enough leeway to be able to shift and shimmy, to move my hips like a belly dance. It would be a bit more work, but I could definitely entrance her that way easily enough. But... why go for the easy win? Shifting my position around slightly, I turned to the side, causing my bubble butt to undulate in front of her. Her eyes, already glazed, zeroed in on the movement. I’d always like the way my butt looked. Some women were overly self-conscious about having a big caboose, but men, and women, were certainly drawn to it, and I sure as hell didn’t mind the attention.

I’m actually reminded of a webcomic I read once, a supervillain named ‘Boombox’, a sensual curvaceous black girl with an enormous rump that hypnotized her prey merely by undulating it in their faces. I’d laughed at the concept, thinking it cute, but now, watching Manx’ eyes glaze over as I shifted my badonkadonk back and forth, I had to admit that maybe the author was on to something.

“Well well, like what you see?” I asked coyly. “That’s good. It’s nice to know all the exercise and training I’ve been doing these past months are paying off. You like staring at my butt, don’t you? Well, that’s okay. Go ahead and stare. Watch. Watch it wiggle... and jiggle... watch it sway and swerve, back and forth, back and forth... so enticing. So hypnotic. It’s the only thing you can see right now... the only thing you can think about. My hot sexy ass... wiggling and wiggling...back and forth, back and forth... again, and again... drawing you in, more and more...” I nearly chuckled at the sight, a line of drool running down the side of Manx’ face now as she stared. She was almost there. Almost.

“It feels so good to just watch it move, doesn’t it?” I asked rhetorically, not even giving her a chance to answer. “It feels so good to just stare... watching mindlessly, no thoughts at all, nothing to disturb or interrupt the view. Just stare. No need to think about anything. I’ll be more than happy to think for you. Just relax... and let yourself drift... everything else fading.... fading... fading.... away...”

There was no magic in this. Well... technically there was, the glamour that had ensnared her interest in the first place. But the rest was all me. Simple hypnosis... with emphasis on the ‘hips’ part. It was completely different from using my power to enthrall and create slaves, however. When I was done, Manx would do whatever I told her to, including turning herself in to the police. But afterward, she would still be herself... and probably more than a bit miffed at me for doing this to her. Chloe and Rosella were special, and permanent. They would serve me forever, or until I released them from their service. Mmm... and speaking of service... I think it was about time I finished up with Kitty Cat, called it a night, and made my way back home. I was practically juicing in my costume as it was... I’d be hard pressed to even make the drive back home without stopping for a little ‘pressure relief’.

“And now,” I stated, added a bit of friction to my movements, allowing my thighs to rub together as I shimmied, “you are deeply, deeply under my spell. There are no thoughts of resistance or disobedience. There are no thoughts at all. All that is left is obedience... and pleasure. Do you understand?”

“Yes... Mistress...” Manx replied in a soft empty voice, staring straight ahead, blankly.

“Yes... Mistress...” a second female voice spoke, causing me to glance to the side. I nearly laughed aloud. Paper Doll was staring at me just as blankly, caught under my spell as deeply as Manx. This... could be fun.

“All right. Manx, I want you to release us from these ropes,” I said finally stilling my movements. “Then you will allow us to tie your hands and secure you as well...” I paused a bit as she moved forward, giving me a closer look at her. Particularly her chest. Her breasts were small—a C cup, maybe, a real anomaly in this city of big breasted Double-D babes—but perky, enticing with the twin peaks showing through her costume. Apparently being controlled like this was a turn on for the capricious little kitten!

“You know what? Scratch that. After you cut us down, I want you... BOTH, to strip out of your costumes,” I amended, grinning wickedly as both girls vocalized their obedience. Free again, I decided to follow suit, sliding out of my dress, pulling out one of the reclining chairs in the office, and spreading my legs invitingly. “Now, my two little pets,” I said, “you’ve both been very very naughty tonight. I think its only fair that you make it up to me by showing Mistress some love.” I slid off my pumps. “Doll, since you’ve already proved your expertise at pussy licking in training, you can work on worshipping my feet this time. Manx, you get the honor of eating me out. And to make sure you both do a good job, as an extra incentive, when I cum, you will both have the biggest, best, mindblowing orgasm of your lives. Now... BEGIN!” I sighed in contentment as my two little playthings got to work, shivering in pleasure at their mindless ministrations.

Mmmmm... yes. I could get used to this! I thought wickedly. I might not be a villainess anymore, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy myself a little with the bad guys I take down. And... occasionally with my allies as well, I added as an afterthought, giggling as Paper Doll began sucking on my toes...

* * *

Parker Albinn let out a soft sigh of contentment as the group finally broke up, and his daughter Lucy rejoined him. “Good job, pumpkin,” he said, mussing her hair slightly. “Guess that’s the last practice session for you guys, huh? The day after tomorrow night is the concert. Are you excited?”

Lucy, glancing back over her shoulder as her classmates all left, rejoining their parents, said nothing for a long moment. Then: “Daddy?” she said softly, peering up at him.

“Yes, sweetheart?”

“Would you be... would you be mad if I said I didn’t want to do the concert on Friday?” she asked in a small voice.

Actually, baby, I’d love you forever if you said you wanted to skip this hellacious torment on my senses, he thought to himself. Dropping down into a crouch, he looked his daughter in the eye. “Baby, you know I wouldn’t be mad at you over something like that. This music class is completely optional... it’s your choice if you want to participate. But, I am concerned about why you suddenly don’t want to go. Just yesterday, you seemed really excited about performing in front of your family and friends.”

“Uh, well, that was before,” she said, staring down at her feet.

“Before what, baby?”

She finally lifted her head, meeting her daddy’s gaze. “It was before those mean ol’ stupid fifth graders made fun of us!” she replied, cheeks red. “They said... that we’re nothing but a bunch of stupid little babies... and that we’re not playin’ REAL music like them, and that the only reason anyone is coming to the concert tomorrow is to hear the BIG kids play. We’re just playin’ ’cause the parents made them let us play!”

Parker sighed inwardly. In truth, he kind of felt the same way. The school’s upperclassmen performed their yearly concert this time every year, playing with real instruments—trumpets, saxophones, drums, flutes, clarinets, and all the rest—and the plastic recorders the second graders were using barely qualified at all. The decision to have them actually perform in front of a live audience with the other kids was no doubt forced by some parent wanting to promote their youngster’s apparent talent.

“Lucy,” he told her after a moment, “in the end, it doesn’t matter why the school wants your class to perform. And it doesn’t matter what a bunch of snotty little upperclassmen think either. What matters is what you think about this... you and the other children. Are any of the others talking about not wanting to do the concert?”

‘Um... no,” she conceded, glancing down again. “Not really. But... they didn’t hear what the big kids said! The only ones that heard ’em was me and Robbie...”

“And did Robbie say he doesn’t want to do it now?”

Lucy sighed. “No. Robbie said he wants to do it even more now, just to prove ’em wrong...”

Parker hugged his daughter. “Sweetie... sometimes in life, you have to just stick to your guns and do something even if you don’t want to do it. It’s hard, and it sucks, but its all a part of growing up. Think of it this way... you still want to become a superhero when you’re old enough, right?”

“YES!” she stated immediately, looking up at him again. “I do! Mommy has already started trainin’ me in fightin’ down in the basement gym with Auntie Venus and Miss Megan and Miss Claire, and I already know what I want my costume to be...”

“Yeah... I know,” Parker remarked softly. Then: “The truth is, baby... I don’t want you to become a superhero.”

Lucy’s eyes went wide, and her lip trembled. “You... you mean... I can’t become a hero? But... but Daddy...”

But Parker shook his head gently. “Baby, no, no, you have it all wrong. I’m not saying you can’t become a heroine. I’m just saying I don’t want that for you!” He pulled her into a deep hug. “My point, baby, is that being a hero is hard. Really hard. There will be a lot of times when you’ll have to do things you don’t want to do because people are depending on you. You’re going to have to make a lot of tough decisions. And sometimes, even when you do everything right, when you do everything you can possibly do, sometimes people will still get hurt. And they’ll blame you for not doing enough to help them.”

“But... why, Daddy?” she asked, confused. “That’s not fair! I mean, if you do your best, and try hard, people should be happy, right? We’re the good guys... and we’re s’possed to fight the bad guys!”

“Yes, that’s true,” Parker explained, “but it’s not always so simple. Remember when Katie was... er, possessed by that evil ink a while ago? She convinced your mom and me to help her. And we fought Jimmy, her brother, who was trying to stop her. We even had you help us.” He sighed, shaking his head. “But Katie was doing bad things... she was the ‘bad guy’, and Jimmy was trying to stop her. He was the good guy, but we attacked him.” Lucy nodded, frowning. “I mean, Katie herself isn’t bad, okay? It was the ink that was controlling her. I don’t blame her for what happened, and neither does your mom or Jimmy. But a lot of people were really mad at her for what she tried to do.”

“Yeah... I remember,” she said in a small voice. “I got called into the Principals office when I pushed Susie ’cause she was sayin’ bad stuff about her the first week of school...”

“I know,” Parker replied with a grin. “I didn’t approve of you fighting with your classmates, but I approved of why you did it. That’s why I ‘punished’ you by taking out for ice cream that day.” The smile faded. “Still, I hope you understand why I don’t want you to become a heroine. It’s dangerous work, baby.” Still kneeling down, he took her hand and pressed it lightly against the side of his head, brushing back the hair. “Do you feel that scar? A long long time ago, Auntie Venus was not a nice person. She was one of the ‘bad guys’ that heroes fight.” He sighed softly, wondering how much to tell his daughter about the woman she so admired without tarnishing her image of her.

“A long time ago, she decided she wanted to take over the city, the same way Katie did a few weeks back. And like Katie, she took control of a lot of people and made them do really bad things. In the end, I had to stop her. We fought. And I defeated her and ruined her plans. But in return she... shot me. In the head. With a gun.” Lucy let out a gasp. “Yeah, baby,” he said soberly. “Your Auntie Venus shot me in the head. She tried to kill me. She was a villain and I ruined her plans. It’s okay, though. I lived. And I’ve forgiven her for that, and a whole bunch more stuff that happened.” He sighed softly. “I love and care for Auntie Venus a lot. But I just want you to understand—being a superhero and going out to save the day is not a game. You could be very badly hurt or even killed. That’s why I don’t want this kind of life for you.”

Lucy nodded softly, eyes wet as if she were about to cry. Ah, hell... I didn’t mean to crush her dream completely, Parker thought grimly. Better fix this quick Forcing a smile, he chuckled. “Now, now, baby, don’t feel discouraged. It’s not really that bad. I mean... yes, it is dangerous. But that’s why your mom and I are here, to help train you and look after you. And just like Claire, and Megan, and Venus, we’ll teach you everything you need to know to take care of yourself when it’s your turn to be a hero. Er... if you still want to, I mean...”

The young girl stood for a long while, thinking. She knew what her Dad was telling her was true. And, really, she HAD been focused a lot on the FUN part of being a costumed hero, of zipping around at night on rooftops or on a cool motorbike, getting into fights with bad guys and saving damsels in ‘this dress’... although she wasn’t quite sure exactly why they needed to be saved from a piece of clothing. But really... even knowing it was dangerous, and that she could get hurt, maybe even killed... she still wanted to do it.

“Daddy,” she said after a moment. “I know how you feel. And I know it will be scary sometimes. But... I still wanna be a heroine. I asked you one time why you and Mommy, and Auntie Venus, and Katie and Jimmy... why all you guys are heroes. And you said, ‘when you are born with a special power or gift, it’s your ’sponsibility to use it to help your fellow man’. Well, I was born special too. So I have a ’sponsibility to help people too... even if I get hurt. ’Cause if I don’t it would be someone else getting hurt instead, right?”

Parker chuckled softly, reaching up to wipe away a bit of wetness from his eyes. “You’re right, sweetie,” he said, mussing her hair again. “You’re totally right. So tell me... if you’re willing to put up all the dangers and hardships involved with becoming a heroine once you are old enough, then it shouldn’t be too hard to put up with a bunch of stupid sixth graders making fun of you and participate in the concert on Friday, right?” Lucy blinked, her earlier argument forgotten. “After all, your classmates are counting on you, too. And you have a responsibility to the rest of them to finish what you started. Don’t you think?”

Lucy pondered for a moment. “You’re right Daddy,” she said with a decisive nod. “I’ll play the concert. And I won’t let that stupid Brad Williams get on my nerves! We’ll show him that our music playin’ is just as good as his!”

Ah, would if that were only true, Parker thought to himself dismally. The irony was not lost on him. His daughter had, in essence, given him a way out of the terrible ordeal of having to sit through the screeching cacophony that was the second-grade students’ performance, in asking to be allowed to quit. By pressing the matter and giving her incentive to stick it out, and perform, he had basically condemned himself to the agony of enduring the hour long torture session. Still, if its a choice between doing what’s best for my daughter or what’s best for me personally, Lucy wins hands down.

“C’mon squirt, let’s head home,” he said, leading her out to the car. “We can even stop off for ice cream on the way.” He laughed aloud at the way Lucy’s eyes lit up, and she ran past him, beating him to the car. Hehehe. Well, what’s MOSTLY good for her. Besides, I took her to practice. Her mom and the others can worry about putting her to bed after the sugar rush...

* * *

Megan let out a groan at the ringing sound as she stepped out of the shower and slipped on her bathrobe, running a towel briskly through her wet hair. Aw, man... and I was hoping for a quiet restful night after all of the action earlier today... Walking over to her video phone monitor, she flipped it on.

“Hello? This is Megan.”

“Oh! Hi,” Josie Cade answered back, her easy smile causing Megan’s heart to skip a beat. “Sorry... I didn’t mean to catch you just coming out of the bath. Is this a bad time?”

“NO! Oh, oh, n-no, not at all,” Megan said, blushing fiercely, wrapping her hair up into a towel turban. “It’s fine, really! I was just planning to veg out in front of the TV. Just.. um... gimme a sec, okay?” She moved out of range of the camera, quickly shedding the bathrobe, slipping on some casual clothes, before hurrying back. “There. Hope that wasn’t too long of a wait.”

“Nope, not at all,” Josie replied, “though I am a little disappointed I didn’t get to see the strip show.” Megan chuckled lightly, blushing again. “Anyway, I just wanted to check up on you. I saw the news interview from earlier, about you and Divine saving that girl from a burning car.”

“Oh, that,” Megan said with a shrug. “That was all her. Venus was the one who pulled the girl out of that burning car. Me, the EMT’s, the police—we were all just standing around trying to figure out what to do.” She smiled slightly. “It was pretty incredible to see, though. She just ran over, grabbed the door and ripped it off with her bare hands, then pulled the girl out, car seat and all. And she’s not superhumanly strong! Well, um, she IS, stronger than a normal human. I mean, not like Omega Girl strong, or anything. It was just adrenaline.”

Josie nodded. “Yeah, I’ve been in those kinds of situations myself a few times. But, I have to say, I did have my doubts when you mentioned that you were working with her. After all, she was a pretty major criminal back in the day. It’s actually kind of heartening to know she really has reformed and is out there using her powers for good.”

“Speaking of using their powers for good,” Megan said, adding a smirk, “are you getting used to your new powers yet? Can you read my mind?” Josie’s laughing response caused Megan to wiggle slightly in her seat. She enjoyed seeing Josie in good spirits.

“Sorry, no. I’m not that good,” Josie replied, grinning. “But if you were within, say, a quarter of a mile, I think I could get a pretty good idea.”

“Well, I guess it’s too bad you’re not a quarter mile away from me right now,” Megan replied teasingly. “I am having some rather interesting thoughts right now.”

Josie didn’t need her powers to read Megan’s mind and know what she was thinking. It may have been nearly three months now since their encounter with Miranda Foggina and her mind-altering pink mist, but they both clearly remembered the intense, passionate sex they’d shared under its influence, and had both pleasured themselves alone in bed, dreaming of experiencing it again with a clear head. Megan’s peaked nipples were showing through her blouse... a perfect match for Josie’s own.

“So, you finally picked a superhero name,” Megan continued. “Focus. I like it. It definitely describes you to a T. I bet everyone in Century is just loving the new and improved Josie Cade, huh?”

Josie’s smile faded a bit. “Well, I wouldn’t exactly say that. It’s been... interesting. And having mind powers definitely helps with catching criminals, but...”

Megan’s own good humor faded. She could tell her friend was putting on a brave face to hide some rather deep hurt. She didn’t want to press her, but she needed to get her to open up if she was going to be able to help.

“But?” she prompted her after a moment.

Josie visibly sagged. “But... it’s a double-edged sword. My control over it... I’ve gotten a bit better, but it’s still always active. I can read everybody’s thoughts. And sometimes... knowing the deepest thoughts of those closest to you isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.”

Megan nodded slowly in understanding. “You mean Jerry?”

Josie nodded. “He moved out. And, really, I don’t blame him. I haven’t been able to give him what he needs... and I guess he can’t really give me what I need either.”

Megan bit her lip, squirming again, suddenly glad Josie wasn’t within a quarter mile of her. She had nothing against Jerry. She’d never met the guy, and from everything Josie had told her, he seemed to be a real stand up guy. The fact of the matter was she’d felt more than a little jealous of him. Especially after the last time, they’d talked when Megan’s offer to come to Century for a visit had been declined. Knowing that he was out of the picture though caused her stomach to do actual flip-flops.

“And... um... what exactly is it that you need?”

Now it was Josie’s turn to squirm. “I... er...” she began, avoiding Megan’s gaze, before taking a deep breath, forcing her eyes back up to the screen. “I don’t know,” she confessed. “It’s hard to put it into words exactly. But I DO know what I don’t want. Jerry sees me as someone he needs to protect, to treat with kid gloves. Even considering the way I spend my late nights. But I don’t want to be taken care of. I want someone strong, yes... but not...” She grunted in frustration. “You know what I’m trying to say?”

Megan’s smile spread slowly. “Yeah, I think I understand,” she replied with a nod. It was the opening she’d been hoping for. She decided to take a chance. Sitting up straight, she closed her eyes. “Josie? I’m not psychic... but I CAN see the future. And I can sense... I can feel.. that you want me to visit you in Century.”

“No.”

Blinking, Megan opened her eyes, the look of hurt and disappointment evident on her face. But, only for the moment, seeing Josie’s eyes twinkle. “No,” she repeated back, holding up a plane ticket in her hand in front of the camera. “I want to visit you in River City. Any chance you’d be free later on this week?”

* * *

I wasn’t looking forward to this.

I would rather be out on the streets, fighting criminals. Hell, I’d even rather be back in that alleyway puking my brains out in front of a TV crew than this. And that’s saying something. Because as ‘nice and friendly’ as this little dinner get together was technically supposed to be, I knew things were going to be more than a little bit tense. Still, Parker wanted it to go well, so I figured I could at least make an effort at being civil.

”How much longer ’til its ready?” Veronica asked, poking her head into the kitchen.

”Not much longer,” Chloe replied, stirring into a large pot, nodding to herself. She glanced over at Rosella.

”Mmmm... maybe five or ten minutes,” she added, glancing into the oven through the glass window.

”Good enough,” Roni said in approval. ”Thanks a lot, girls. We really appreciate this. I’m really wanting tonight to go well.”

I scoffed lightly at that. It wasn’t as if this was some kind of million dollar business deal being decided over dinner with foreign investors. It was a simple meal with family and friends. Roni left, heading back out to the dining room, and I followed her, sitting down idly in a seat around the kitchen table where Parker and his guests were talking.

“So, Parker,” Eugene Frasier said amicably, sitting down at the table across from his friend and former employee, “you seem to have been busy these days.”

“You could say that,” the speedster replied, nodding. “Of course, I could say the same about you as well. On some special ‘top secret’ project, I presume?”

“Would anyone like something to drink?” Veronica asked, standing just beside her husband. “Gene? Lacie? Eva?”

A drink? “Well, if you’re asking,” I purred seductively, reclining slightly in my own chair, “I’d like a glass of that rather nice scotch you were serving the other day... the ’73, was it?”

Parker actually blushed heatedly as Eugene turned to glare at him. “I think ye mean the ’37, Satore,” he stated flatly, “of which I’d ken, seeing as how I gave it to him and Roni as an anniversary gift a few weeks ago. For that matter, perhaps ye might be inclined to explain what exactly yer doing here?”

Great. The aged Scotsman was upset. Big surprise there. “Having dinner, the same as the rest of you,” I replied coyly, taking obvious delight in the elder Scotsman discomfort. A warning glance from Parker convinced me to stop antagonizing, however. “Oh, now, Eugene, no need to sit there and glare. We’re all friends here now, after all. I’ve renounced my evil ways and am on the path of the straight and narrow.” I glanced over at Parker, who again, blushed and glanced away, very uncomfortable with the conversation. “So why don’t we all just relax and enjoy this time together. And, I trust everyone is hungry. I know Chloe and Rosella have been helping dear Veronica in the kitchen most of the day in preparation for this dinner.”

Eugene’s eyes widened, then narrowed, and I could have kicked myself. Ah. I get it. Still holding a grudge about me taking his ‘beloved Rose’. Even though she clearly chose me as her Owner of her own free will.

“Of course they have,” Gene mumbled, shaking his head. “Well, before things go off the rails completely, Parker, lad, why not simply cut to the chase and ask what ye invited me over here to ask.”

Taking a deep breath, Parker finally turned to face Eugene. “Okay. Fair enough. I want to know what your plans are for Claire Watson.”

“Claire?” Eugene asked, face completely expressionless. Parker rolled his eyes.

“Don’t try that with me, old man,” he said, frowning. “That might work in the boardroom, but I’ve known you too long to fall for it. You know exactly who I mean. You’ve had Evangeline doing some very specific rooting around inside her head,” he said, turning to gaze at his Aunt, who colored slightly but said nothing.

“Aye, I do have an interest in the girl,” Gene admitted, nodding slightly to Eva, who relaxed visibly. “I suppose a good question would be, what exactly is your intent with the girl?”

“We’ve taken her on as a student,” Veronica announced, returning from the kitchen with several glasses, a bottle of the aforementioned scotch, a small decanter of white wine, and a diet soda, which she claimed for herself. Sitting down next to her husband, she took his hand in her own, squeezing it gently. “I’ve been training her physically, and Parker has been giving her lessons in the psychology and tactics of being a crimefighter. She’s coming along quite nicely if I say so myself... just like Megan.”

Hmph. And ME as well, I thought silently, slightly offended that I wasn’t mentioned as well.

“Interesting,” Lacie said, intrigued. “So you’ve taken her under your wing as her mentor, then? And is this just a one-time thing, or are you planning to make this a full-time endeavor? I’ve always said you two should start a school and help train the younger generation and others, coming up.” she added, glancing at me. Heh. Thank you, Verdandi, for at least acknowledging my presence.

“Well, I don’t know about all that,” Parker protested, “just training her and Megan is more work that I thought it would be...”

“Oh, Parker, you know you’re not fooling anyone,” I interjected, chuckling. “We all know how much you enjoy playing the wise old teacher, guiding and mentoring the young and inexperienced. You’re rarely as happy as you are when you’re putting those two young women through hell trying to make them stronger and better prepared for what awaits them out on the dangerous streets—”

“Venus! Will you PLEASE zip it!” Parker growled, glaring at me.

“Yes, Sir,” I replied instantly, the words out of my mouth before I even fully registered them. I sat demurely staring down at my hands for a moment, all the while hovering somewhere between being extremely turned on by his sudden show of dominance and fucking PISSED at being talked down to that way in public! Eugene, Eva, and Lacie all gaped at them me in shock, but I steadfastly ignored them.

“Um... yeah, um,” Parker began, glancing aside. “It’s... complicated. A lot’s happened in the past few months, okay? Can we please just stay on topic? Eugene, why are you so interested in Claire?”

The Scotsman sighed, shaking his head. “Well, truth be told, lad, I’m not after her specifically. I’m actually looking for a worthy candidate to take my place... as Armor Man.”

“WHAT?!?” This time it was Parker, Veronica, and myself gaping in total shock. I mean... the old guy, love him or hate him, had become something of a landmark in this city. For nearly fifty years, he’d been saving the city, saving the country, saving the world in his high tech armored suit. And even with all he’d gone through lately, physically, mentally, and emotionally, for him to be considering giving it up for good, looking for someone to take his place... that was, well, pretty damn big!

“Aye,” Eugene nodded in confirmation. “Ever since I faced off with my brother Duncan, I’ve known my time in that role was coming to an end. And frankly, after everything I faced in the aftermath of that battle, and the miracle of not only being alive but healthy and whole again... I’ve decided to focus myself on what’s most important to me. But... I dinnae want my armor just sitting around in the lab, collecting dust. Armor Man is a necessary and important part of this world. My armor is a powerful weapon for good... but in the wrong hands, it could also be a devastatingly powerful weapon of evil. So, aye... I’ve been searching all over for someone to train to fill my shoes... er boots.”

“Okay, I can understand that I suppose,” Roni stated, taking a sip of her coke, “but why the fixation on Claire? Eva, sorry... but I saw all the probing you did inside Claire’s mind. That seems like more than just casual interest in her. So again, why are you so focused on Claire? What makes her so special?”

Eugene glanced at Lacie, who in turn glanced down at her hands, saying nothing. Hmmm. Interesting. Wonder what that was all about?

Gene sighed. “Well, lad, that’s something of a loaded question,” he stated, taking Lacie’s hand in his own, squeezing it gently. “The girl IS special, and for a number of reasons... one of which has Lacie and her sisters keeping an eye on her, though she will not say precisely why.” Lacie merely sighed and nodded. “That aside, my own interest is in her genes. The girl is rather unique. As ye ken, my Armor’s main innovation is that it links to and integrates with, the wearer’s central nervous system, meaning that the suit’s controls respond literally at the speed of thought as if you were moving your own body, not a clunky suit of armor. And that connection is very tenuous, and very carefully modulated, in a careful balance to protect both the electronics and the wearer.”

“Under most normal circumstances, only a normal mundane can wear the armor,” Eva stated. “A Super’s unique biosignature tends to resonate and conflict with the neural link. And generally, the stronger the Super’s energy output, the higher the conflict. An S-level Super could never wear it,” she added, winking at Lacie, who managed a smile. “And while you would think a lower classification, like a C or D-level, would be able to operate it, nearly every one of those we’ve tested are unable to use it either.”

“Hmmm... I notice you keep saying mostly, and nearly every one would be unable to operate it,” Parker pointed out. “I’m guessing Claire would be an exception to this rule, then?”

Lacie nodded. “Practically the only exception we’ve noticed so far. I don’t really know how to explain it myself. From an energy output standpoint, yes, manipulating paper is rather low key... but we’ve tested mundanes with no powers whatsoever that test lower compatibility than her! It’s not perfect, mind, not by a long shot—it’s only 83% compatible. Still, considering that she’s a C-level Super, still young and growing in power, that is unbelievable!”

“So, aye... Claire would be the front-runner,” Eugene admitted, “and her young friend, Allison, would be my second choice. I had Eva examine her as well, and snatch a wee bit of her DNA to test. Her compatibility is a bit lower, at 79%, but it’s still better than any other mundane we’ve tested across the board.”

I yawned slightly, getting somewhat bored by all the technical talk. I’d worked with Claire a few times already, and liked her well enough. Parker had even asked me to help in training her to resist mind control. I smiled slightly at the thought. We’d even had an ‘interesting’ time just recently taking on that cagey cat burglar Manx, though I doubt either of them recalled exactly how that encounter ACTUALLY ended. Still... it had been quite a lot of fun showing her the ropes. And... later on, the handcuffs as well...

“So... are we considering bringing her fully into the fold, then?” Parker asked quietly. “Full disclosure? She already knows me and Roni’s identities, as well as Megan Tanner’s. She knows you, Aunt Eva,” he pointed out, “and she’s met Katie and Jimmy already in person. It won’t take too long for her to connect all the dots. And if you’re considering her for your little experiment, it must mean you’ve already checked her out security-wise.”

“True,” Eva replied with a small sigh, “but we’re not... quite ready to reveal EVERY secret just yet. I mean, she’s a student, still new to all of this. You’ve been training her for what now? A few weeks? Months? There’s always a chance she might opt out and decide that she’s not cut out for this.” She sighed again. “She’s a sweet girl. I’d hate to bring her into the group, then have to blank out her memories if things suddenly go south.”

The others nodded grimly at that. “Okay, so, for now, just keep training the lass as ye see fit,” Eugene advised. “I’ll make a formal approach to her in a few days, and see how she reacts. In the meantime, ye can start introducing her to the edited files we keep on the list of Supers in the country. Might as well make her education a well-rounded one.”

“Speaking of ‘well-rounded’,” I broke in again, glancing pointedly at Parker and Roni, “can we PLEASE spread the news already? If we wait any longer, I’m going to go insane!”

“There are some in this room who might say its a bit late for that,” Roni quipped without malice, “but okay. I’ll tell. Lacie... Eugene... Eva... I’m pregnant!”

“WHAT?!?!?” they exclaimed, stunned.

“It’s true!” she said, standing up, as the other women all crowded around her, hugging and kissing her. “It happened a few weeks ago, just before our trip abroad! I’m no spring chicken anymore, so I’ve been to a few dozen doctors, who checked and rechecked everything a few dozen times but... yes, I’m having another baby!” The others all squealed like young children. I giggled, resisting the urge to join them. I’d known about it before any of them, even Roni herself, but it was hard not to get caught up in the excitement as well.

“Congratulations, lad!” Eugene said grandly, slapping Parker on the back. “Another wee bairn? Aye... this calls for a celebration!”

Parker chuckled, rubbing his back slightly. Eugene could really pack a punch when he wanted to. “Thanks. We’re actually looking forward to the new addition. And Lucy, bless her heart, I can’t wait to tell her! Ever since she started hanging out with Nigel Grimalde’s kid, she’s been bugging us, saying she wants a sister or brother to play with.” He smirked. “Looks like both of our families are continuing to grow. And it’s nice that we’re all so close these days, able to share times like this together... don’t you think?” He nodded, glancing at Lacie and Eva as well. “So, Eugene, looks like we’ve finally caught up to you and Lacie then.”

“Eh?”

“You know? Two for you, now two kids for us? Not that its a contest or anything,” he added, still smirking.

“Er, well, actually, Parker,” Lacie said, a knowing grin of her own, “you might want to recount. You haven’t caught up to us... quite yet.”

“Huh? What do you mean by that?”

“She means, laddie,” Eugene replied with no small amount of pleasure, “that our total has also recently increased by one. As it turns out, we have another son, about a few months older than Jimmy, who recently arrived in town.”

“WHAT?!?!?” Us again. This was beginning to get ridiculous!

Eugene chuckled. “Aye. ’Twas a bit of a shock to me as well. It’s a complicated story. But dinnae fausch, he’s a fine lad. His name is Kyle. I’ll have to bring him over and introduce him to ye sometime after he gets settled in...”