The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Shining Shards: An MC Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Story

Frustrated

Chapter 10: Of Caffeine and Calisthenics

I ran up the stairs, sneakers clumping. The reference librarian on the second floor gave me a dirty look. I should have taken the secret way Tammy showed me.

I sprinted down rows of shelves looking for her or her cart or anything. Tammy always knew what was going on and, maybe it was the books, but she could always find out anything.

She was amazing. Left. Our mothers met at an ice cream parlor when they were pregnant with us, and we’d been best friends ever since. Right.

We explored the woods behind school together and collected wild flowers in the spring. When we were in middle school, we had sleepovers where we stayed up all night watching old TV Land reruns of Get Smart and Charlie’s Angels. Right. Sometimes we’d play KAOS and CONTROL agents and try to think up ways to do the other in. That usually ended in pillow fights. Left.

She would always—Lost in thought, I turned a corner and smacked right into her.

She frowned, but her face quickly melted into a smile when she saw that it was me.

“Katie!” she gushed. “How are you? Long time no see! Are you OK? I heard about the accident.” She put a friendly hand down and lifted me back to my feet. She frowned and bit her lip.

“I’m OK, the accident was nothing, but, um, there’ve been some strange things going on and I was wondering if you could help me figure some things out.”

“Again? Like what things?”

“Well, like Tommy’s car. I got in an accident last night Tam. Tommy tried to start the car this morning and it was dead. Dead. But it was in the driveway. How did it get there?” When the torrent of words finished pouring themselves out of my mouth, I realized how panicked and stupid I must seem. “Uh, and um, another thing. The—”

Tammy held up her hand. “Stop. There’s a reasonable explanation for all of those events.” She adjusted her dark-framed glasses and brought a delicate knuckle up to her lips. They were maroon. She nibbled a minute, then slowly removed the digit and wiped it on her skirt. “Maybe your car was towed.”

“I don’t think so. I don’t remember calling a tow truck.”

“Maybe you walked home after the accident and some nice person just returned it to you later that night.”

“I, um, don’t remember walking home either.”

She looked exasperated. “Then what do you remember?”

I searched my brain. There was the make-out session, and then my CD while I was driving home, then the crash! I started to shiver. Wet jeans and dark trees and Josh and shining shards…a kiss. My shivering took on a new dimension. Josh? I hate that bastard! Why was I—

“I kissed Josh!”

Tammy started to laugh, and then stuffed three knuckles in her mouth to try and stifle it.

“It’s not funny, Tamtam!”

“Shh, Kaykay. This is still a library.”

“This is still an emergency!”

“Shush!” Tammy looked around furtively, if calmer than I thought was appropriate considering the situation. Her right hand strayed toward her mouth.

“How about this, Katie: I’ll look into this accident thing if you’ll do something for me.”

“Do what?” Tammy’d never asked me for a favor before. They were for other people, not her best friend.

“Go get me a coffee.”

I laughed in relief. “Sure! Your favorite?”

“Yup. But make sure it’s Cozy Coffee, corporate coffee is swill.”

“OK, I’ll be back in a few.”

We both pulled our ponytails tight and headed off in opposite directions.

I took the elevator down to avoid the reference librarian’s stare and slipped out the front door.

Noise hit me; cars kids, shouting. Life outside the library. I could feel my hearing get worse.

Mom was right. I should have stuck with gymnastics. I was really, really flexible as a little kid, but mostly, this whole thing would never have happened. Tammy and I had started together at age two, but I quit at eleven when she got better than me. She stuck with it, and I went over to dance. If I’d stuck with it, I would have been at practice last night and all of this would have happened to someone else or to no one at all.

Now I had to live with the fact that I’d kissed—Josh! Two buildings down and heading this way!

I ducked into the nearest doorway and found it was the coffee shop. I grinned; luck was on my side today. Tammy would have answers when I got back and that cretin Josh would drop dead before he got here.

I looked around. This place, Cozy Coffee, was decidedly small town. The floor was ingrained with old dirty and made of creaking wood. A ceiling fan turned listlessly against the afternoon heat that would have made my shirt stick to me if it hadn’t already been tight against my skin.

The only customer in the place brushed past me as he left. I took a few steps over to the moist, linoleum-topped counter and looked up at the faded, hand-painted menu on the back wall. They always had Tammy’s favorite, but why she stuck with her eco-moral or whatever principles and refused to go to the chain around the corner always astounded me. It was gross in here, smelly, mildewed, and felt cluttered even though it was almost empty. Tammy loved cleanliness, order, correctness, and knowledge, which was why she worked at the library, did so well in school, and was captain of a winning gymnastics team.

I like fun, winning, and, well, you know, showing off. A bit. That’s why I choreograph and captain for a winning dance team and don’t have a job and do sort of OK in school. Tammy and I go so well together, don’t we?

I reached around one of the slightly wilted, wide-leaved potted plants and tapped the bell.

“Hello?” I called into the dimly lit back room. I checked my pockets to make sure I had money. I pulled out a ten. Score! “Is anybody here? I want to buy some coffee.”

“Hello dear.” A wrinkled, wispy woman tottered out of the back.

An old man that I knew from my trips here with Tammy to be her husband made his own unsteady way out with a rusty watering can and started to water the plants. A lot of the water fell on the floor and the counter.

“Hi, Mr. Williamson,” I said, and then hopped backward to avoid the water tumbling toward my shoes.

“Katie, is it? Tammy’s friend?”

I nodded.

With astonishing dexterity and rapidity, the old man had his hands around my throat.

It’s a trap! Is Tammy in on it? Are the Williamsons going to hurt her? What should Katie do? If you think she should panic, read 1. If you think she should calm down and try to talk this out, read 2.

1.

I unhinged. I gave in to the madly rising panic.

“Yaaaaaah!” I screamed, flailing around and managing to hit Mr. Williamson in the head. “Helllp!” My eyes unfocused and I jerked my muscles around.

I felt a massive build-up growing in my stomach. “Yee…yee…AAAA!” It burst. Colors spun, hands slapped at me. Gravity turned upsidown, my back and then my head smacked against glass, the door! And it felt good. I blushed through all of the horror still veering through my veins, the raggedness of air running through my lungs, the trembling in my joints. It felt good. I’d just…cum. My nipples ached against my bra. “Ahh…um? Shit.” I could smell myself; it was really strong, pervading the whole store. “Leave me alone, you creeps!”

They did. I stood a moment. The Williamsons stared at me with blank, slack expressions.

Wait, what was I still doing here? I ran.

I sprinted out the door and around the corner; the library was in sight. Tammy would forgive me. I took a skipping hop when an aftershock hit me and started jogging.

My nerves were jangling, my jeans were falling a bit, and the pads of my feet hurt from slapping the cement, even through my shoes. I felt hot and cold and my skin prickled and ran with sweat.

I checked behind me; no one was chasing me. I slowed to a power walk, feeling my legs knot behind my calves.

I took another peek; some cars parked, some drifting along in the opposite direction, and one coming my way. It was silvery-blue. It was speeding up. This must have been the getaway car, but now it was coming to get me!

I blocked everything else out of my mind and I ran.

I minced up the steps and into the stacks, limping.

“Tammy?” I wheezed. Damn, I really thought I was in much better shape than this…maybe I should have Jazz Square-d away from the villains, huh Katie, maybe that would have helped. Ugh. I felt a shift in the air behind me. I turned, slowly.

Tammy was standing, softly and imposingly, three feet behind me. The light fell behind her, casting shadows on her marble face.

For the first time in my life, I realized that there was more to Tammy than I knew, that our little rituals might not be her only secret. Words like alabaster, steel, and impersonal flitted through my head.

“Uh, Tamtam? Drum? I didn’t get you any coffee because the Williamsons tried to kidnap me, I hope you understand.” I paused. Tammy had not reacted. She hadn’t tried to comfort me or hug me, nor had she called me Kaykay like she always did when I called her Tamtam. She just stood there with her arms crossed, staring.

“Uh, yeah, so I escaped and got back here!” I threw myself into a cheery ‘tada!’ pose and gave her a shaky grin.

“So I figured,” she spat. “Don’t play innocent. We know you’ve been to Control.”

“What?” I dropped the pose and gave her the quizzical look a bunny rabbit gives a wolf who has pink braces on his teeth. “What are you talking about? Don’t tell me you set me up to be kidnapped!” I couldn’t believe it. I wouldn’t. Not Tammy, not my best friend!

The girl who’d wanted to be one of Charlie’s Angels unfolded her arms. Slowly. Deliberately. She extended her arms to the shelves on either side. I heard a clink of metal, and then she had a bookend in each hand, heavy and sharp. She hefted them and held them like sai; you know, the things Rafael the Ninja Turtle had.

I felt like it was time to run again. Tammy stuck out a hip and flipped her hair back. Angel pose! My best friend!

She pounced for me. She was almost quick enough, but I turned a fast corner and started to run. I almost hit the wall on the other side of the row, and took valuable seconds bouncing off with my hands and spinning, looking for another row to run down.

I chose wrong; there was Tammy, fluorescent light glinting off her lips, bringing up one bookend-sai to brain me with. I reached out and found…Hemingway. Bastard! He was a wife beater…

I hurled the brick of a book right at Tammy’s head. It hit her in the ankle.

“Are you laughing?” Softball was not my sport, so I was going to need quantity to make up for my sad quality. Well, there were plenty of books.

My arms burned sending a whirlwind of fluttering pages in her general direction. The jitters in my legs were gone; fuck this, time to jet.

My feet pounded carpet; my arms pedaled books into the path of my oldest friend…maybe she would snap out of it?

I reached the stairs and didn’t bother with them. I slid down the railing and leaped off into the children’s nonfiction shelves.

There’s the back door! And over there, the emergency exit!

What should Katie do? She could definitely reach the emergency exit, but then the alarm would sound and Tammy would know exactly where she was. On the other hand, she just might be able to reach the back door…Emergency door? Read 3. Back door? Read 4.

2.

Urk!” I grabbed at my throat. The air, where was the air!? “W-what are you doing?”

No, wait, I should calm down. This was probably all just a misunderstanding. “What’s going on?”

Mrs. Williamson took a long minute to totter around the counter. She approached me slowly, a look of intense pain etched on her face. She tripped on a small piece of paper, a candy wrapper and slid forward, plummeted toward the ground—only to catch herself on the counter at the last second. The sprightly lady heaved herself up, did a pirouette, and strode over to me. I started forward and tried to pull myself backwards, away from her.

“Don’t worry, dearie,” said Mrs. Williamson. “We’re just transferring you over to Chaos.”

“What?” Her words were so strange I forgot to struggle at all. The hands around my throat loosened and I felt a proper amount of air in my lungs. I could smell the musty shop, I could feel the heat of the sun flowing through the windows and into my back.

“Since you’re being such a good sport about all of this, I’ll warn you. It’ll only make you worry more, but then, as we’re for Chaos, I don’t see how that hurts anyone.” She cackled. I was beginning to see why the girls of Salem targeted old ladies. They could be such evil bitches. “So, anyway, they’re going to torture you. Holden, take her out.”

Mr. Williamson nodded and frowned.

The world went blue.

Katie wakes up…in Chapter 11, section 2.

3.

I could definitely reach the emergency door, it was just a few feet away; I made a dash and a leap for it.

“Briiiiiing! Briiiiing!” the alarm sounded as soon as I hit the push-bar.

I took one look back as I made it out and saw Tammy, smoldering with rage and soaking in the sprinklers the door set off.

Heavy of heart and mourning the wreckage of a life-long friendship, I set off into the world no closer to solving the mystery than I was this morning.

I walked right into Mr. Williamson. The world went blue.

Go to Chapter 11, section 2!

4.

The door. I think I could just about make it. I didn’t think any longer; I just saw and ran, dashing for the door with deadly, treacherous Tammy just one row behind me.

There were just my hands and my feet and my lungs and then there was the metal bar. Muggy air sliced through my hair.

Where should I go? I slapped my pockets with one hand; no keys, no cell phone. No pick-up.

“Shit!” Tears rose to my eyes. Where was I going to go? How would I get there without Tammy grabbing me and turning me over to…whoever?

Lost in my thoughts, I walked down the street towards my house. Nobody was on my side, were they?

A whistle jolted me out of my reverie.

“Hey there, cutie,” he said, driving slowly enough to match my walking pace.

“Go to hell, Jordan.”

“Need a ride?”

I bit my lip.

Should Katie accept a ride? It would help her get away from Tammy. But on the other hand, there’s still a bunch she doesn’t remember about last night...If you think she should go with Jordan, read on. If you think she should keep walking, go to section 6.

“Uhh, sure. Take me home.” He hit the door unlock button and I climbed in. I slumped over and closed my eyes in order to avoid his. I didn’t want to make this any more awkward than it already was.

Therefore, I didn’t notice until too late that when we reached our destination, it was his house he had pulled up to, and not mine.

“Uhh. Dude, where the hell are we? This is not my house.”

He stopped the car and we both got out.

“I know,” he said. “It’s my house.”

He stepped right up to me, and...

Go to Chapter 7.

5.

“It’s OK, it’s OK, it’s all gonna be OK,” repeated Merri, running her hand over my back in soothing circles.

“Merri, what’s, what’s going on,” I wailed.

“Oh, I’m sorry hon; I guess they didn’t do a very good job on you...”

“What? You’re fucking in on all this?” I pulled away from her.

“Well, yes,” she said. I felt behind me for the door handle. “But I have your best interest at heart! You know how you and Tammy used to watch Get Smart?”

“Y-yeah...”

“Well, I’m from an organization that’s kind of like CONTROL, the agency Maxwell Smart works for. We’re the good guys. We want to help you.”

“How...”

“We’re the ones who fixed Tommy’s car and brought it, and you, home. We also tested you; we thought you might have had some powers, but we couldn’t find any.”

“Awww...”

“But I still think you do. No one could have held out as long as you did against that creep Jordan without some kind of innate powers.”

“Thanks.” I was much calmer now. This was all completely absurd, but it rang true. It was implausible, but it would explain everything...

“If we can figure out what your power is, we can go back to headquarters and I’ll train you.”

“So, you tested me?”

“Yes.”

“What was the test?”

“Oh,” she blushed, “well, um, the center of power we were picking up was sexual, so...uh, a boy named Jared was involved...”

“What ended the test?”

“You came under his control. We had to practically rip your mouth off his cock.”

“What, he didn’t go down on me? How rude. Hhmph.” I crossed my arms and stuck out my tongue.

“Hey, maybe that’s it! That was the other sexual thing we never tried! Oh honey, I bet that’s it!” She gave me a huge hug.

“What’s it?”

“Your powers! You can control people after they’ve eaten you out!”

“How could you possibly know that?”

“I’ve seen it before, and it...well, from what I’ve seen, it just makes sense. That’s my power; I’m good at figuring out what other people’s powers are. Kind of lame, I know, but I’m a good trainer. Come on, let’s get you back to headquarters!”

I shrugged. Why not? She started the car, and we were off.

Go to Chapter 11, section 1.

6.

“No way, jerk. Leave me alone.”

“Fine, have it your way, bitch.” He hit the gas pedal and his car screeched away from me.

I shook my head and crossed my arms over my chest.

“What an—”

“Idiot?”

“Huh?” Who was that?

It was Tammy.

The world went blue.

Go to Chapter 11, section 2