The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

SANDOR PART 5: FATALITIES

“UNCLE! Alif had 3 portions of Miek, and there’s none left for me!” Fevir was hilarious in his outrage.

Alif egged her younger brother on, slowly licking the porridge and its spices off of her fingers.

“UNCLE!”

Alif smiled, and insolently put her thumb in her mouth. She loved the taste, somehow Miek tasted better on the deck of a long boat at sea.

Another, deeper, level of her mind thought that when this was all over, she was going to slap Sandor. Now she knew what he meant when he said the trance would help her to do “distasteful” things.

* * *

Tallenda tried to remember her train of thought, but it was impossible to ignore the warm moistness surrounding her big toe. There was a slight popping sound, as lips came off the digit. Tallenda half opened her eyes, and was rewarded by the sight of Alif first kissing, then licking, then sucking her other big toe.

“You really are becoming quite good at this, considering you’re a boot wearing barbarian.” she lazily murmured. It was odd, but she no longer hated the blonde woman. Now she realized Alif was her ally in the plans.

“Thank you, my Queen.” said Alif between licks. The two had been inseparable since the last market day, with Tallenda even arranging that Alif share her private quarters. Tallenda occasionally thought it odd that she only wanted to spend time with her, but then she would become lost in play with her new toy.

“Why did you stop...I did not command it?” she asked, surprised. Alif had stop worshiping her feet, and was now rubbing her thumbs in a circular motion on a spot on the forefoot of her soles. She was about to issue her slave another command when suddenly she felt herself drop again into pure bliss. She floated on a cloud, the sight of her chambers fading away. Alif began speaking, her voice like honey. The First Slave’s eyes grew heavy and closed.

She listened to everything Alif had to say.

* * *

Tanna, the tavern wench, stood before the Market Teer, with her head bowed.

“Tell your healer friend I’ve already done too much for him. Tell him he owes me a bookkeeping slave. Tell him to ask the river sharks for help, for all I care.” Jugal was still smarting from Heer’s anger. In addition to killing his most valuable slave, he had taken an unhealthy interest into the Teer’s management of the marketplace. Jugal knew that in time, even the fact he was the Teroshi’s third cousin might not be enough to protect him.

Tanna, extended her hands and opened a small sack. It was full of coins both gold and silver. Three golden Teeko boxes rested on top of the money. Jugal’s mouth dropped.

Tanna spoke for the first time. “My master says if all is done as requested, a second, identical sack will be yours. Identical except there will be twice as many boxes. Also, Captain Heer will never again be a problem for you. ”

Jugal scratched his second chin thoughtfully, then gestured to his new assistant to to take the sack from Tanna.

* * *

Anuz Hiearmz, third of his name, High Teroshi of all Valayshians, let out a deep and satisfying burp. A giant of a man, he still had the musculature of a great warrior. He also, however, had the beginnings of a pot belly as he enjoyed rewards of being Teroshi. His head and face are completely smooth but for the bushy side burns that framed his face with curly black hair.

When the rumble from his stomach came to a stop, all those sitting around him applauded. These were the Teroshan, the council that advised him in life and that would select his successor after his death. The first among them, the merchant prince Herosh, had been trying to speak about the cost of the upcoming war when the Teroshi had let out his belch. Herosh was smart enough to realize that there would be no more serious talk tonight.

Tallenda waited patiently for the palace slaves to clear the remains of the meal and to pour more drink. The Teroshi’s goblet was always kept filled, and tonight Tallenda had arranged for a particularly potent wine to be served.

Tallenda signaled the musicians, who played an ancient melody on flute accompanied by a single drum.

“Gather Your Highness and wise and esteemed Teroshan for a tale from our city’s glorious past” she sang in archaic High Valayshian. The Teroshi and his council stopped talking and laughing, and turned their attention to her.

“The Tale of Tenzbub’s Choice. Mighty King Tenzbub, ruled wisely in the Age of Heroes and had vanquished Valaysha’s last foe. Now, he sought a wife to prolong his line.” Tallnenda’s voice dropped several octaves. “’Bring me women, beautiful and high born, so I may choose a worthy wife!’ she intoned, and then reverted to her sing song voice. “And so it came to pass, many candidates arrived for the the great feast of choosing. Tenzbub knew he had to choose carefully, because, as you know, kings of that time had no harem, only one queen for life.” The men all smiled at the absurd notion.

Tallenda sang “First came a maiden from the River Delta, renowned for her ability to keep a pleasing house.” A High Slave entered the room, in a plain, unflattering shift and holding a broom and a cleaning rag. The music took a comical turn as she danced around doing a pantomime of cleaning the room, provoking laughter as she pretended to “clean” the guests with a rag, pressing her body against theirs. She then sauntered over to the Teroshi and lifted her foot until her toes were in front of his face. As tradition demanded, he made a big show of shaking his head as Tenzbub did, rejecting the first candidate. The men in the room cheered, and the girl left the room looking theatrically dejected.

“The second came from mysterious Carpa, and was renowned for her dance.” A High Slave from the East entered and the music turned quite sensuous. She began dancing, first at a distance, but eventually draping herself on each of the seven guests. The music picked up tempo, and she ended up grinding against the Teroshi with her back to him until the music climaxed, and she collapsed into his lap. The music began again, and she jumped up and raised her foot to his face. The Teroshi play acted as if he was thinking, and even puckered his lips...then shook his head to great laughter. The eastern girl pretended to weep and ran the room.

“The third girl came from an old house that had lost the blessing of the gods of commerce and had fallen into poverty. She had no dowry, no skill at any art. The palace officials turned her away, but wise Tenzbub heard her cries and bid her enter.” Upon that cue, Alif entered the room. Her hair was down, and artfully arranged to look wild and unkempt. She wore no jewelry at all, and wore thin, torn rags that left most of her exposed. The music became slow and sensual again and she strode in time with the drum. Unlike the other ladies, she paid no attention to the guests, and kept her eyes focused on the Teroshi, who looked stunned. Once she was before him, she kneeled, still keeping her eyes on his.

Speaking as if she had practiced in rote, she said in heavily accented High Valayshian: “If you choose me...great King...I offer you all of my body...all of my soul and all of my heart. I will give you love most pure from this day to the end of all time.” She then stood, and lifted her foot to his face

The Teroshi stared at her pretty long toes. All waited in silence for him to finish with the traditional ending to the story. Finally, with a big smile, he leaned forward and planted a wet kiss on Alif’s toes, signifying his “choice”. The music stopped and, Alif put her foot down, and backed away out of the room, never taking her eyes off of those of the Teroshi. The council all showed their appreciation by applause and cheers.

The Teroshi sat thoughtfully as Tallenda approached him from the side.

“That was quite a show, First Slave.”

“Your Highness..” she whispered in his ear..“Alif sees now how great you are...how handsome...you are......you have won her heart completely. Sleep alone tonight, and she will come to you willingly, if you allow it.

The Teroshi looked at her, seeming to study her face. “And what do you gain from this, Tallenda?”

“I seek nothing, Your Highness...just your continued graciousness to me...and of course my family. As for Alif, she does ask one tiny favor.”

He leaned his head closer, and she told him.

He was bemused. “That is all?” Suddenly, he seemed to come to life.

“Captain Heer!”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

He pulled the soldier closer, and quietly said: “Tell the Royal Harem I have eaten too much and will sleep alone tonight. Tell my guard to admit Lady Alif if she seeks entrance. Oh....and arrange for a guardsman to take Lady Alif and the First Slave at dawn to the market place. They need to see the healer all the women keep going on about. The want to do it quietly, little fuss”

“Your Highness....Moon Day is not for days....” He stopped when he saw the murderous glint in the Teroshi’s eyes. He continued: “Of course, Your Highness...it will will be as you command....” Heer thought furiously, then came up with an idea. “I will escort the ladies myself.”

Tallenda spoke, a bit too quickly: “Oh...we wouldn’t want to bother the Captain of the Royal Guard with such a humble task, I’m sure Lieutenant Aziz or Sark would suffice..”

The Teroshi erupted and stood. He was annoyed with Heer for seeming to question him, and with Tallenda for interrupting his conversation with a man. “Enough. Heer will escort the two of you to the healer.” His voice softened. “Of course I want my two treasures guarded by the best.” He walked unsteadily out of the room. Everyone stood and deeply bowed. Heer therefore did not see the small smile on Tallenda’s face.

* * *

Sark had been annoyed when the First Slave asked him to volunteer to take had the late watch over the Teroshi’s private apartment. Apparently, the ruler was going to be entertaining tonight. His anger dissipated when he returned to the barracks room and found a golden Teeko box in his helmet. By the time he relieved the evening guard, he was positively happy.

Hours later, he was trying his best to stay awake. The corridor was dark and lit by widely spaced torches in sconces. He had smoked an entire pipeful, and his swollen eyes watered in the torch light. His reverie was interrupted by the sound of bare feet slapping the marble floor with an the odd rhythm. He turned in the direction of the sound and saw a gossamer angel coming down the hall, an angel with blonde hair and a limp. It was the northern High Slave, as expected. She wore nothing but transparent silks and a bandage on her foot. Her face was cast down and half veiled as opened the door for her.

“Everyone is so crazy about her and her yellow hair. Pretty feet...but I like them chunkier in the rear.” he thought as he closed the door.

* * *

The Teroshi had drank too much. He had splashed water on his face several times to prepare himself for his guest. After all, this was more than a romantic rendezvous. If he could win the northern girl’s heart tonight, perhaps even put a baby boy in her belly, he could solve all of his problems on his northern flank. This war against the shadowy Brotherhood may be long and expensive, and if Korgian warriors could be counted to join in their long boats, it would be of great assistance. Of course, the task was that much more pleasant since she was such a beauty.

The door opened and he rehearsed what he would say. He strained to remember a few appropriate words in her tongue, but failed. He prepared to utter lines from a love poem when she reached his side and presented her foot again. He forgot about verse and kissed her toes, this time in a slower, more sensual manner. He was thinking that he thought her toes had been longer when she withdrew her foot and lay next to him. Before he could say anything, she bent down moving the veil so she could kiss him. He wrapped his arms around her, his hand moving towards her head. She caught his hand and moved it to her breasts, as she straddled him. She moved into position with unexpected skill, and they made love. As they reached completion, the Teroshi passed out from the effort and the wine.

He woke some time later, and saw that the girl had not moved from her position. Her eyes were half open, with the eyeballs rolled slightly up into her head. He could not see her lower face due to the veil. He reached up and pulled her down to kiss him. As his mouth and tongue explored hers through the veil, he touched the back of her head and caressed it. He was surprised when the hair seemed to shift on her head. As that happened, wooden hair pins and clips fell unto his chest, and the blonde wig came free. He stared at it dumbly, then realized he had been tricked. With a sudden swipe of his huge hand, he tore the veil and saw the face of Tallenda, who had a sweet smile. He was about to question her when the first spasm hit.

All the of the air in his body was expelled as every inch of his being was swamped with pain. The spasm passed, and he took in breath, but before he could yell out, another spasm gripped his body, contorting his torso, his legs, his arms, and his hands. His fingers bent at strange angles, and a skull like grimace siezed his lower face. The spasm relented again, long enough for him to take another deep breath, then returned, contorting him in new ways. The white light cleared from his eyes, and he saw Tallenda reach into her bandaged foot and take out a piece of chalk. She then padded over to the nearest wall and began writing something on it. He tried to see what she was writing when another spasm hit.

* * *

Tallenda was half aware of the Teroshi’s thrashes but remained focused on the task at hand. The Master Healer and her friend Alif had explained to her that if she wanted the Teroshi to fall hopelessly in love with her, this magical incantation had to written perfectly.

She was so happy. The Teroshi might be a little dismayed at her trick, but once the incantation worked, he would love no one other than her.

Even without the love spell, having a son in her belly would gain her entry into the Royal Harem. That was where the special potion came into play. It had caused her such terrible stomach pain that she collapsed. She had only been able to dress and put on the wig with Alif’s help. She had nearly passed out, but then her friend had rubbed her soles in the special way, and everything seemed better.

She looked at the writing. It was all gibberish to her, probably some eastern tongue. It did not matter. Writing it was all she was supposed to do. She then looked out a window, and saw the first glow of dawn appearing. She went back over the Teroshi, who was in the midst of another spasm. Her nose wrinkled for he had evacuated himself on the sleeping rug. His muscles then relaxed, allowing him to take in air. She ignored the smell, and bent down and kissed him on the mouth again, sending more toxin into his body.

“Good night, my handsome love. We will talk in the morning about your new son and our future. Don’t be too cross with me, you will see it is for the best. I will be a magnificent queen for you.” His body was contorting again as she left.

Sark had just been relieved by the morning guard, who looked surprised to see her.

“My Lady First Slave?.....I was told that Lady Alif.....

Without looking at him, she said: “His Highness commands that he is not disturbed this morning.” She giggled. “We had a very long night.” Tallenda did not wait for a response as she padded down the corridor. The Guard thought it was strange, but he was not going to be the one to wake a hung over Teroshi.

Tallenda went to her chamber where Alif awaited her. She nodded and smiled to the northerner, who got up and quickly washed and dressed the First Slave. Once Tallenda was ready, the two women headed for the gatehouse, where the liter and Captain Heer was waiting. He was already on his horse, and said nothing to either as they entered the small, two person liter.

* * *

Sandor had endured a sleepless night, agonizing over his complex plan. All depended on the continued obedience of two women outside of his direct presence. Even if their spells held, there were a million other things that cold go wrong. Tanna entered his shop, her feet damp from his foot bath.

“Master...Jugal has sent word. A liter escorted by the Captain of the Royal Guard has passed through the Comet Gate.”

Sandor stood, excited and scared.

“You remember your commands, Pretty Tanna?

She repeated them perfectly, as well as Tia and Tyra’s. The tavern wench and the two courtesans had become the slaves upon who he most relied. He was not heartless, should the three survive the day, he had buried sacks of coins for them. They would wake from their trances with no memory of him, but they would find the sacks and hopefully start a new, better life.

“Good girl.” The woman let out a pleasure filled sigh at his compliment. He walked over and kissed her deeply. “Go....obey.”

“Yes, Master.”

After she left, he went over to his work table. He picked up a bowl, then stirred the red liquid with a small wooden stick that he left in the bowl. He then took out a bottle and a rag. He unstoppered the bottle, and carefully checked the smell of the contents. Satisfied it had not lost it’s potency, he took position by the door to his shop.

* * *

Lieutenant Aziz approached the morning sentry outside of the Teroshi’s apartment. The sun was high in the sky, yet no one had called for the Teroshi’s breakfast. The guard saluted him.

“Sir....His Highness has not stirred.”

“When did you last check on him?”

“Sir....when the First Slave came out...she said His Highness commanded not to be disturbed.”

Aziz thought he misheard the soldier. “First Slave?......don’t you mean the Lady Alif?”

The guardsman told him about his pre-dawn conversation with Tallenda. Pushing him aside, the Lieutenant knocked on the door.

“Your Highness....may I enter?”

There was no response. He knocked again, with no answer. Finally, he pushed open the door.

His nose was immediately assaulted by the smell of corruption. Sunlight streamed through the windows, revealing the body of the High Teroshi, lying contorted in it’s own filth. Worse of all, there was still life in his eyes, which looked as if they were begging for mercy.

“Guardsman.....summon the Royal Healer.......and the Guard.....!”

He kneeled down and picked up a blonde wig. As he did, he noticed there was writing on a nearby wall. It was in Valayshi and had been written by a woman’s hand in white chalk:

“WITNESS THE FATE, PROUD VALAYSHI, OF THE FOOL WHO INSULTS THE BROTHERHOOD.”

* * *

Upon their arrival at the Temple Fountain, Tallenda had imperiously told Captain Heer that he should stay there, they wished to see the Healer in private. He did not argue, but waited until they were at a distance and began to follow them through the market. He watched as Alif first bathed Tallenda’s then her own feet at Sandor’s door, and entered the shop. He crept up, trying to eavesdrop, but the door was too thick. He decided to enter, perhaps surprising them. He was going to get answers, even if it meant angering the Teroshi. He flung open the door, and saw directly in front of him, in the middle of the room, the two High Slaves were standing, completely nude. He was transfixed by the two beautiful women, and stood in the doorway.

“My Ladies...?” He finally managed.

Suddenly a large bell was heard, ringing in the distance. Heer recognized it as coming from the Palace, and he realized many smaller bells from around the city were joining it, raising an alarm. Just as the Temple bell joined in, he turned his head back towards the door, and saw Sandor flinging himself at him from the side. As the healer’s body rammed into his, he shot his right arm around the captain’s thick neck and pressed a damp rag to his face. Heer immediately felt dizzy, but because he had turned his head, Sandor was not able to cover all of his nose and mouth. He was able to ram his right elbow into Sandor’s chest, knocking the air out of the healer’s body. Heer recovered faster, and threw a mighty punch with his left that caught Sandor under the chin. He collapsed to the rug. The Captain now threw himself onto Sandor, pinning him to the ground. With both hands, he began to choke him. The Healer flailed out with his hand, which hit Alif’s bare calf.

* * *

Alif stood on the deck of the Kraken’s Whore, looking at her Father the Thane’s Great Hall rising above the shoreline. It was a beautiful sight after so many months. Suddenly the sea grew stormy, and the long boat was tossed about on waves. She almost lost her balance.

Suddenly, she thought...“Wait...this isn’t right...” she concentrated and she saw the sight of Captain Heer pinning Sandor to the deck of the long boat, choking him.

“I have to wake up.” She thought. “I HAVE TO WAKE UP!!”

* * *

Sandor was turning grey as his body desperately needed air. He noticed some new movement in his peripheral vision, but could not turn his head. He was beginning to lose consciousness when Alif brought the foot bath down on Heer’s head, shattering it into a hundred shards.

She kneeled at his side and pushed the Captain off his chest.

“Sandor....are you hurt?” Her face looked very worried.

Sandor wanted to thank her, but he could not speak at first. Despite the pain, he rose and retrieved the rag. He clamped it over Heer’s face and held it until the soldier’s breathing became slower. He quickly examined him. A large bump was forming on the back of Heer’s head, and some of the broken porcelain had opened a large cut on the side of the soldier’s temple. He tended the wound, and its bleeding slowed.

When Sandor recovered his voice, he told both ladies to get dressed. Alif nodded, and Tallenda complied in her trance. Despite his spell, the First Slave seemed distracted.

Sandor had little time. He went to his work desk. Fortunately, it had not been turned over in the melee. He brought the small bowl over to the Captain and kneeled. He placed the bowl down, and gave it another stir. He then picked up the small stick, making sure that a large drop remained on its tip. Using his other hand, he carefully opened Heer’s eyelid, and let a drop of the fluid fall into the man’s eye. He then repeated the task, then did the same to Heer’s other eye. That done, he poured more of the other liquid from the bottle unto the rag, and again made Heer breath the fumes.

Sandor was checking Heer’s eyes again when Alif spoke.

“Sandor...get over here, quick.”

He saw that while Tallenda had obeyed and dressed, she was now shaking her head and blinking rapidly. She cradled her head in her hands and was whispering” “The bells.....what has happened? Where am I...”

Sandor groaned. He walked over and gently took Tallenda’s hands from her head, and tried to sooth her.

“Master Healer is here, First Slave...you must calm yourself.”

She stopped shaking her head and looked directly at him, tears streaming down her face. Her words came gushed out.

“I....I feel so strange...like I am in a dream. Am I dreaming the bells...or has something terrible happened? I feel sure something terrible has happened....I don’t know why...but I do.”

“I want you to take a deep, cleansing breath...”

She violently pulled her hands from him and snarled. “I don’t want to take a deep breath...fool...answer me...why do I feel like something terrible has happened...What have you made me do, Healer?”

Sandor was dumbfounded, then thought he was going to have to kill the woman, when suddenly Alif put her hands on Tallenda’s shoulders.

“Shhhhhhhh.......My Queen......nothing bad has happened....I promise you. It’s me.....Alif.....Northern Slut.....your friend...you know you can trust me.”

Sandor was amazed to see the First Slave calm down. She gazed deeply into Alif’s blue eyes, and her breathing began to slow. He realized that Tallenda was more Alif’s slave now. He nodded approvingly at the blonde woman, urging her to continue.

“That’s it, my beautiful Queen...no need to be upset....not on the day you carry the Terroshi’s son in your belly. Just take a deep breath in and out.”

“Rub my feet, Northern Slut.”

“I will, my Queen, but first there are things you still must do.

“But the bells?”

“The Teroshi ordered them rung, in your honor.

Tallenda slightly smiled, and whispered..“I’ve done it then.....I have his son.....but, does the Teroshi love me now?”

“Of course, Beautiful Queen....he waits for you back at the Palace...but first....just as we’ve discussed...you have to go to the Temple. One more simple task, and you will win everything.”

“Will you come with me, Alif.......I need you by my side?”

“I will join you soon. Just go now......just as we planned. Wash your feet in the fountain, then go in. I promise...you will know what to do”

“Yes....time to go to the temple.”

Tallenda slowly walked out of the shop.

Sandor turned to Alif. “You amaze me, My Lady.”

“Never mind the flattery. I had to kiss her toes, you know. A lot. It’s always with the feet with these people.”

“Are you ready for the next part, My Lady.”

“Can’t I stay awake? Haven’t I proven myself to you?”

Sandor walked over. “You have..but no, it will be better if you are in trance...but there’s one thing I must do...something I swear I will only do when you are awake.” Before she could say anything, he kissed her on her mouth. She immediately responded in kind. Finally, he broke away, and quickly said:

“Pretty Alif must listen to the Shadow Hawk.”

* * *

The Royal Healer left the Teroshi’s apartment and was met by the all of the members of the Teroshan. Hersoh, as usual, spoke for them.

“Well...what has happened to His Highness?” said the thin, hawk nosed man.

The Royal Healer answered. “There’s no sign of the bite of a snake or spider...no sting from a scorpion. Of course the writing on the wall makes it it is clear he has been poisoned.”

“How...all of the Teroshi’s food and drink are tested, are they not?”

“Yes, Lord Heroshi, they are. I am headed back to my study to research this.”

“Will he die?”

“If my suspicions are correct, yes...but not directly from the poison, My Lord. He will eventually die of starvation or thirst. There’s nothing to be done......except intervening and putting him out of his misery.”

He bowed and headed to his chamber. He was tired, and he sat tiredly on his sleeping rug when he noticed a scroll. He had seen it when he had wakened, but in the rush ignored it. He now opened it and saw it was written in an educated woman’s hand.

He read it, his eyes widening as he did.

* * *

Jugal stood on the Teer Platform, watching his market react to the bells. Already, rumors were sweeping that the High Teroshi was either dead or near death. Merchants, slaves, and customers all abandoned the shops, stalls and tents and were congregating to the front of the Temple, where official word was most likely to emerge. Occasionally, someone would try to question him, but he ignored these attempts.

Nervously he looked over the crowd towards the book seller shop, and saw a donkey drawn cart. It was the type municipal slaves used to haul away corpses. Could his dealings with the Healer have anything to do with the bells, he nervously pondered. His reverie was broken when his assistant tugged on his sleeve and pointed. Ten Royal Guardsmen on horses were pushing their way through the crowd towards him.

Jugal was not a brave man, and the Royal Guard were renowned for their ability to torture a man for weeks without killing him.

Lieutenant Aziz rode up to his platform with a determined look on his face. Jugal broke and prepared to confess everything.

“I........I...” he stammered.

“There’s no time for that, Teer. Seal the market place....do it now. Where is Captain Heer?, the officer demanded. Jugal realizing he was not being arrested, gathered himself.

“He followed the High Slaves...I think to Sandor’s Shop. Please....what has happened?”

“Just seal the gate. Oh...and be prepared, the Teroshan will be here presently to meet with the High Priest

The Lieutenant and the other guardsmen dismounted and headed to Sandor’s shop.

* * *

Tallenda was happy, all of her earlier doubts gone. The sight of her future subjects all congregating around the temple for the blessing of her unborn son

was a wonderful sight. She continued to thoroughly wash her feet in the fountain. Looking over she saw that she was not alone. Several of the highest born ladies in the city were either arriving or washing their feet. They seemed very focused and ignored all of the tumult around them. After a moment, they all looked at Tallenda, who nodded. Almost as one, Tallenda and the ten aristrocatic women rose from the fountain and heeded slowly into the Temple, their bare feet leaving wet foot prints behind them.

* * *

Herosh fingered his goatee, lost in thought, as he rode with the rest of the council in the Royal Liter. He had no love for the soon to be late Teroshi. He hated that the ruler was singularly uninterested in commerce. Herosh had always thought the campaign against the shadowy Brotherhood a waste of time and treasure. It proved that the Teroshi cared more for military glory then business, the life blood of his city.

The Teroshan was required by law to meet with the High Priest should the Teroshi become incapacitated or dead. Together, they would choose a regent, as the Teroshi’s sons were all infants or young children. The regent would ultimately choose among the boys to see who would ascend to the throne. He was determined to be selected as regent.

He knew that he had to be seen as decisively handling the assassination. He needed to be on the forefront of solving the mystery. Herosh again read Tallenda’s letter to the Royal Healer. He then looked over at the healer, who had fallen asleep just before the Comet Gate. He stretched out with his booted foot and woke the old man.

“Now, Healer, tell me everything you know about this ‘Tears of the Lover’ and this ‘Art’ that enslaves women.”

The old healer droned on for the rest of the trip.

* * *

The Lieutenant looked around the shop and saw the obvious signs of a fight. Pieces of the shop’s porcelain foot bath were strewn about, and the rug was stained with blood. A Royal Guardsman entered with the leader of the City Guard.

“Lieutenant Aziz...we found him!”

He followed them out of the shop. They walked until they reached the city wall, which overlooked the great river at this portion. Going up the stairs, Aziz saw blood drops creating a trail. At the top on the wall, he saw Captain Heer with an ugly wound to his temple, groggily sitting up. His eyes were bloodshot and watery. At the edge of the wall, the robes of a Master Healer lay in a pile. A Guardsman walked up to Aziz and handed him foot jewelry, which Aziz recognized as the priceless gift the High Teroshi had given Alif.

“These were on him, sir.” said the soldier as he handed the jewels to Aziz.

The Lieutenant then walked over to the edge, near the robes. Looking down he saw a great commotion in the water. The river sharks were feasting. After a moment, he saw a female arm in the mouth of one of the beasts.

A Royal Guard officer ran up the steps.

“Lieutenant...the Teroshan is nearly at the Temple. Lord Herosh ordered me to ride ahead and find you. They said bring Heer with you to the Temple.” Aziz noted that the order did not mention Heer’s title, a clear message.

“Arrest him, and bring him.", he said, pointing at Heer.

This seemed to rouse the Captain.

“Aziz....what is going on...we have no time to waste....”

“Fortunate for us that the Healer was able to hurt you and slow you down before you killed him.”

Two Guardsmen grabbed Heer’s arms.

“AZIZ...HAS THE TEEKO ROTTED YOUR BRAIN? RELEASE ME NOW!

Heer was a powerful man, and even injured he was on the verge of overpowering the two guardsmen. Aziz drew his sword, and struck Heer’s head with the hilt, knocking him out again.

“Bind the traitor....and gag him.” Despite seeming in command, Aziz panicked at Heer’s mention of his weakness for the powder. “No need for him to disturb the peace of the Temple with his ravings.", he said as he headed for the stairs.

* * *

The Royal Liter arrived in front of the Temple. Jugal stood bowing as low as his girth would allow as both Royal and City Guard cleared the plaza. Once all of the council and the Royal Healer were out, the High Priest and his council stepped out into the bright sunlight. Lord Herosh explained what had happened in the palace, and that the High Teroshi was likely to die in days. The priest gave the Teshan his blessing to begin the choosing of a regent and authority to rule until they had done so.

The Lieutenant arrived with the bound and gagged Captain and reported what he had seen. Herosh said to the other Teroshan members: “How convenient, almost all of the conspiracy members now dead. We must find Lady Tallenda and put her to questioning.”

A City Guard officer approached, bowing, and said that the Lady Tallenda had been seen entering the temple. The High Priest signaled to his Temple guards. They were tall, burly mutes with shaved heads. Each carried a lethal looking halberd with a large blade. Several of them went inside to search for the woman.

After a while, one emerged back into the sunlight, and signaled to the High Priest. They could not find her.

Captain Heer was now awake, and was raving through his gag. His eyes were bloodshot and watery and constantly blinking. Herosh walked over to him, and removed the gag.

“Tell the priests to check their secret balcony, My Lord....she will be there!”

The High Priest stammered: “He’s mad....there’s no balcony!”

Heer snorted. “You asked for our help finding Lem the Apostate. When I found him, he told me your dirty little secrets bargaining for his life. Lord Herosh, I’m telling you, there is a secret temple balcony the priests use to eavesdrop on worshipers...look for her there!

Herosh looked at the priest, who glared at the Captain, muttering a curse at him.

Lieutenant Aziz spoke up. “The Captain...I mean the traitor, told me that he used Lady Tallenda to spy on Lady Alif and the healer from this balcony, My Lords.”

Herosh stared at the cleric. “Isn’t it time we enter the Temple, High Priest?”

* * *

Tallenda finished walking around the hidden balcony, making sure all was in place. She had been amused by the talk she had heard from below. People were saying the Teroshi had been poisoned and was either dead or near it. How stupid. He was just reacting to the love incantation and the fertility potion exuded by her body. Master Healer had warned her people might misunderstand, and that her enemy Captain Heer would use that to his advantage.

She heard the sound of booted feet entering the temple and looked down. The Teroshan, the Royal Healer, the High Priest and all of their retinue entered the Temple. Lieutenant Aziz and other soldiers were dragging in Captain Heer, whose hands were bound. All of them were headed for the statute.

It was time. She picked up the candle holder from the floor where she had left it against the balcony bannister, hiding its light. Placing the candle onto the wide bannister, she sat and swung her long legs up. She picked up the candle and stood, her toes curled around the edge of the bannister.

* * *

A mute temple guard pointed up, and everyone looked up and saw the face of the First Slave, in candle light, seeming to float in the air.

Herosh recovered first, and said: “Seize the traitor!”

No one moved at first. Tallenda spoke, her voice sounding like she was next to them:

“My Lords, stay where you are or I will jump.”

“Why should I care if you kill yourself, traitor?”

“First of all, I am no traitor....Second of all, I am not alone. Ladies!”

At this signal, the other ten women, ranging in age from 19 to 40, picked up lit candles, and joined Tallenda on the bannister.

The men below were shocked. The ladies were all relatives or wives of the Teroshan. Each had unblinking eyes and blank expressions.

Tallenda broke the silence:

“We are all under Heer’s demon spell of enslavement...we will jump..we have no choice.”

“If you are bewitched, how is it you tell us these things?

“I have moments when I am myself. That is how I went to the Royal Healer to ask him about the enslavement Art...how I wrote him the letter about Heer and Tears of the Lover. I couldn’t stop myself from obeying...but I tried to warn you all.”

The old man whispered in Herosh’s ear: “It’s true...she did come to me...the poor dear was actually trying to let me know she was enslaved. She has a strong spirit...”

Heer had enough.

“You fools...don’t you see...it’s all a trick!”

Lord Herosh did not take his eyes away from the balcony as he responded “Captain, a trick indeed. You told Lieutenant Aziz that you were using the First Slave as your agent. She poisons the High Teroshi. You insisted on escorting the women this morning, allowing the three of you to escape the Palace. You killed Lady Alif and this Sandor before we could question them. Tallenda is about to leap from a secret balcony she learned of from you.” He turned to face the Captain. “I think...your guilt....”

The aristocrat stopped mid sentence...“Your eyes.....”

Heer looked around as everyone, including his guards, backed away from him in obvious fear. “What about my eyes?” he asked.

His eyes shone in the dark, their color a terrible, fiery, red.

Tallenda called out:

“Yes Master...I will obey....forgive me. Anything you wish, Master.....Ladies...we must save our Master. Free him, or we will jump to our deaths.

The other women began chanting:

“FREE OUR MASTER.....FREE OUR MASTER....FREE OUR MASTER.”

The Teroshan members all began frantically talking. Some demanded Herosh release Heer, others called upon the High Priest to invoke the gods, while others begged their women to come to their senses.

The Royal Healer rushed over to the High Priest.

“His eyes....his power resides in his eyes...” he stammered, forgetting that he had made up that “fact” of the Art. The cleric urgently signaled a temple guard with his hand.

The halberd took Heer’s head off with one swipe.

“Place the demon’s head into a sack and seal it.", ordered the High Priest.

Up above, confused female voices were no longer chanting. Instead :

“Where am I....I was home playing the lyre...”

“Why am I in the temple...it’s not a festival day.”

“Get me down from here..please.”

“I don’t understand what is happening..”

The priests and their guards helped the ladies down the statute, while the High Priest spoke with each woman after their descent.

Lieutenant Aziz pointed at Tallenda, who was now speaking to the High Priest. “What do we do with her, My Lord?”

“Arrest her.”

The Royal Healer sputtered: “My Lord....she is innocent...she can’t be held accountable for what she did under a spell.”

“Perhaps. But it is safer to torture her and make sure.”

Aziz signaled two guardsman and they approached. They were surprised when the Temple Guards formed a circle around Tallenda and the High Priest.

Herosh was furious. “What is the meaning of this Priest?”

“The Lady Tallenda has asked for Sanctuary, and has agreed to pay the Temple Price. I have approved to the purchase. She is no longer your concern.”

“But we need to question her, High Priest.”

“Why? Your mystery is solved, Lord Herosh. Leave now, and it will be with my blessings.” Herosh noticed that more and more temple guards were arriving, far outnumbering the troops who would follow his orders. Besides, the last thing he needed now was conflict with the clerics. He turned to the Teroshan members.

“We are done here.”

* * *

Jugal watched the people leave the temple. He approached Lord Herosh as he prepared to enter the Royal Liter.

“My Lord....the people are asking. Must the Market Gate remain closed?”

Herosh thought a moment. “The assassin has been revealed. No need to further hurt commerce. Open the gate, Teer.”

Jugal bowed, and climbed back up his platform. He looked over at the gate, and waived his arms. As he did he saw the death cart waiting in line at the gate. He wondered if anyone had noticed that it was crewed by three barefoot women.

* * *

Tallenda walked with two priestesses in a subterranean corridor below the Temple. She had awoke on the balcony without any idea how or why she was there. She didn’t remember anything from the time she had confronted Sandor in his shop. She realized that he had duped her, and she had fallen under his spell. When the High Priest told her the Teroshi was dying, she knew instinctively she was in danger. She saw Lieutenant Aziz coming toward her.

Tallenda had never been very devout, but she must have learned the words at some point. She was just grateful she remembered them today.

“High Priest of the Gods of Commerce...I seek to purchase Sanctuary and will pay the Temple Price.", she blurted out. She then frowned. there was something important about Sanctuary she could not quite remember.

Her doubts faded, and she tried to make small talk with her escorts. She had every reason to be relieved. Her family was very rich, and should meet any price. She asked the priestesses what was the Temple Price, but they only smiled.

The amount was not important. What was important was how her House would negotiate her exoneration and freedom. In the meantime, if she had stay here for a week or two, so be it. She would play the devout believer, maybe ask the priests to perform an exorcism. She saw how the High Priest had looked at her body, and she knew she cold manipulate him.

They reached a door, and three large, female adepts met them.

“Prepare her.", said the older priestess.

The adepts escorted her into the chamber. The younger priestess spoke.

“I fear she does not understand the Temple Price.”

The elder priestess coldly smiled. “Her fault for not learning her Faith. Once her head is shaved and she is more appropriately dressed, assign her as a kitchen slave. If she makes too much a fuss, make it chamber pot duty.”

EPILOGUE

Alif looked out into the darkness, but she could not make out any details in the anchorage. She was chilly in the night air, as she was dressed in sailor breeches and a tunic. Her feet were, as usual, bare.

“This is a boring illusion, Sandor, I can’t see anything....what’s more, this is a caravel...not a long boat.”

“Excuse me My Lady?”

Alif turned, and saw a seaman with one eye staring at her with an incredulous expression. He held a bowl to her. She took it and took a deep breath. It was Miek porridge. Her eyes began blinking rapidly.

She remembered everything. Dragging Heer’s body to the wall. Helping Sandor’s other slaves to drop the two dead corpses into the river, corpses bought from the Teer. Being wrapped up as a corpse. Getting to the port, and to the ship.

“I have to tell the captain...you’ve not said a word since you boarded.” The seaman hurried away.

He soon returned with the shipmaster.

“Just like the assassin said. We thought you simple or addled. He told us to give you a bowl of Miek when we reached Tindor, and you’d wake up.”

Alif smiled. “What becomes of me now?”

The ship master said: “You get in the row boat.”

As dawn began to rise, the seaman who had brought her the miek rowed hard, and they made fast progress across the small harbor. Alif saw they were approaching a large, familiar shape.

It was the Kraken’s Whore. When they were next to the long boat’s hull, a giant’s forearm swept her up. It was her Uncle Favrin. Once she was aboard, she was surrounded by the crew. Many of them were her kin. Her brother Fevir ran into her arms and the three embraced.

“Welcome home, Niece.” Favrin said, tears choking his voice.

* * *

Sandor rowed the boat back to the caravel. It would take him south, where he would submit himself to the Brotherhood. There was no point in running. Anyway, he thought that odds were good they would forgive him for “improvising.” The Valayshi had been taught their horrible lesson, and his brothers would always need his Art.

Sandor smiled as he heard the celebration on the long boat. At least he had kept his promise to her.

During the weeks at sea, Sandor desperately wanted to wake Alif and tell her his feelings. He wanted to say a proper good bye to her, but knew that would have been selfish. Better she focus on her new life than on a man who had used her and with whom there could be no future.

His last command to her was to not recognize him a board the caravel. He knew he should have erased all of her memory of him, but he couldn’t bring himself to do that.

“No matter...she’ll forget me soon enough....she has a country to conquer.” At that thought, his smile faded.

* * *

Weeks later, Alif excused herself from the banquet. Favrin had spread the word of her return, and every unmarried ur-thane or the houses with sons old enough to marry sought to host her. Deep down, she hated that she was being paraded like a slave being sold. But Alif was a realist, and understood that right union would greatly aid her cause.

She entered the guest chamber., taking off the wolf fur mantle off her bare shoulders. She wore leather breeches that ended at her knees and a leather halter. Her hair was in set in the traditional double ponytail. Alif took a moment to enjoy the feel of the ice bear fur rug on her bare feet. She again laughed at the ignorant southerners who all thought northern girls wore boots. Of course they did......in snow and ice. Indoors or during warmer months, they went unshod like all civilized women.

She knew she could not keep doing what she was about to do. It was not fair. Her new husband would be expected to risk all, including his life, in what was likely to be a bloody war. The least she could do was give such a man her whole heart. But for now she did as she wanted. Pulling off the halter and the breeches, she put on her sleeping shift.

Laying on the rug, she imagined there was a spinning jewel hanging above her face, and willed her breathing to slow and deepen. As she did, she remembered the feel of Sandor’s skilled thumbs on her soles. She imagined feeling their circular motions, and as she did, her long toes began to slowly curl and uncurl. Her breathing slowed even more.

Alif concentrated harder on the imaginary jewel, and soon it showed her what she most wanted to see. As the image formed, the ur-thane’s guest chamber began to fade away. Her night shift was replaced by blue silks. The air grew hot and heavy, and the sound of the marketplace could be heard. A faint odor of Miek spices hung in the tent. Sandor, naked, stopped rubbing her feet and lay down next to her.

They began to kiss.

The End.