The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Marcus’s Power

Chapter 13

“Promise me you won’t lose your cool with the Dark Knights. Please Marcus? Like Shain said, this is a peaceful meeting.” Jesse said as she leaned her head against Marcus’ shoulder. She knew that Marcus had a taste for battle and that he needed to get a handle on it.

“You have my word. I won’t make a move, unless they do it first.” Marcus said in a low voice, his face adorned with a look of contemplation.

Jesse and Marcus were still waiting in the room that Shain gave them. If the Dark Knights were good to their word, then they would be there shortly for negotiations. Marcus knew that it was a moot point though. They would want part of New Orleans and Marcus would not allow that. If they had any honor at all, they would stick up for their beliefs, no matter if Marcus was the Son Of Dakrin or not. Marcus knew that they had battle spirit. The way Jesse talked about it, all Knights did.

“What are you going to tell them?” Jesse asked, her head still laying on the side of Marcus’ shoulder. They were both sitting on the edge of the bed.

“You’ll see, Love. Just be patient.” Marcus said and kissed the tip of her nose.

“You know that Shain might want to have some say in these negotiations. You would be wise to listen to what he says... He’s played this game a little longer than you.” She said with a impish grin.

“I was hoping that he might give a little advice. Like I said before, I don’t want him to be a follower, I want him to be an ally.” Marcus said, breaking himself away from Jesse. He did this because he felt a presence of a Knight approaching the door.

“What is it?” Jesse asked, a worried look on her face.

“Knock, knock.” Marcus said with a smile. Then there came a knock at the door.

“Show off! If I could keep my Kinetics up all the time, I would be able to do that.” She said as she went for the door and opened it. Kait walked in with a serious expression on her face and if Marcus could see her eyes through her shades, he would see worry.

“Their here. Shain is with them in the den. There’s two Masters and six Knights. One of them is the Knight that you let live in the parking lot of Pizza Hut...” Kait said looking at Marcus very intensely.

“Well, let’s get the show on the road. I have little to say and bigger things to do.” Marcus said with a wry smile.

“You better keep your promise to me Marcus.” Jesse said in a low voice as they walked out the door.

“If I don’t, are you going to kick my ass?” Marcus asked and then gave a small chuckle.

“You’re not afraid of anything, are you?” Jesse asked with a quizzical look as they walked down the stairs.

“Of you? Sorry Love, that’s a little hard to be.” He said with a smile.

“No! I mean of the two Masters and six Knights we are about to meet!” She said in a low but harsh voice.

“The only thing I’m afraid of is when they threaten the people I love. That is inexcusable.” Marcus said as he stopped at the doors of the den. On the other side, Shain was waiting for him, with his guests.

“Are you ready, my Lord?” Kait asked, with her hand on the door knob.

“Go for it.” Marcus said with a look of coldness on his face that made Jesse worry a little. She really did want him to keep his promise.

Kait opened the doors and they walked in. All of the Dark Knights were dressed very well. Marcus walked over and leaned against the pool table, folding his arms. His face was emotionless. He looked over at the Knight that he let live in the parking lot. That Knight would not even attempt to make eye contact with Marcus.

“Well, I guess we’re all here now,” Shain said as he took a seat on the sofa. His sword was in his hand, but it was sheathed. “You may start, Jonathan.” Shain said nodding his head towards one of the Masters of the Dark Knights.

“We are willing to back off... If you give us the southern part of New Orleans...” He said this with confidence in his voice, something that Marcus did not think that he possessed.

“What in the HELL makes you think that we’re going to do that??” Marcus asked with a his voice a little higher than usual, but humorous.

“You’re name is Marcus, Son Of Dakrin,” The Dark Master asked as he took a few steps towards him. “You’re to cocky to be so new to the game. You’re just one Master in a game of many... So there is a chance that we will crush you!” The Master said in a very harsh voice.

<’Was I the one that made you a promise Jesse?? You owe me big... Cause if I hadn’t made it, this so called Master would be dead on the floor’> Marcus sent the thought to Jesse with a quark of the lips when she flinched.

“So you think that your forces can match our’s?” Marcus asked in a low but firm voice and walked towards the Master.

“Easily, so don’t be so cocky.” The Master said with a grin that said he thought of Marcus as a lower life form.

“Are you a man of honor, Jonathan?” Marcus asked with a wicked grin.

“Always.” Was his simple answer.

“Then agree to this,” Marcus said and walked to stand by Jesse. “An all out battle in exactly one month. Everything is on the table. If you win, you get all of New Orleans. Take that to you’re High Council and see if they have the balls for that bet.” Marcus said as he crossed his arms again, ignoring the look of shock on Jesse’s face.

“You are Cocky.... If I have anything to say about it, the Masters will pressure high Council into this little venture of yours. I take it this is the end of negotiations? You will regret this, Son Of Dakrin.” He said and motioned to his Knights to follow him out. They left with a confused look.

Marcus looked over at Shain to gauge his reaction. He was not for sure if he did the right thing. But by the look on Shain’s face, Shain was pleased. “That was perfect. I liked how you made them wait a month...” He said in a low and musing voice.

“Why did you like that part?” Marcus asked, already knowing the answer.

“That gives us, and you, time to train. And train hard. The down side is that they will do the same thing. But Ohhh, it is going to be a good fight!” Shain said this with a bright smile that would have told him he WAS related to Jesse even if he had not known it before.

“Tonight... Do you think we could go over strategy for this little venture? We will have to come up with training captains and a few other things.” Marcus asked with a small smile.

“Absolutely. In fact, if you hadn’t asked, I would have.” Shain said as he walked to the door. Then added, before he walked out, “This is gonna get pretty bloody. With the exception of you, we’re evenly matched,” Shain said with a serious voice.

“I know. But there is only peace on the other side of war. This is for the best I think.”

“I know, this will be the last of the Dark Knights and then we can turn I eyes on New Mexico again.” Shain said and walked out the door.

Most of everyone else left behind Shain as well. That only left Jesse, Kait and Marcus standing in the room. Marcus knew that Jesse wanted to ask him something. The reason Kait was there, was because he asked her telepathically. Marcus looked over at Jesse, her beautiful features looked worried. He wondered what the problem was. After all, hadn’t he kept his promise?

Jesse then moved closer to Marcus, until she was only about a foot away. “Marcus are you sure you know what you’re doing? I’m not doubting your ability, far from it. But you’re just one Knight. Shain’s army is not as good as you and him.” She said in a low voice, with an almost apologetic look on her face.

“I know. I’ve thought of that, Love. But there is know other way. This war would have came about sooner or later anyway. It’s better to get it over with and I think between me and Shain, we’ll win. No, I KNOW we will win.” Marcus said with a wry smile, that warmed Jesse’s insides. When he smiled at her like that, she thought anything was possible.

“Do you want me to leave you two alone?” Kait said with a slight smile, standing with her arms crossed.

“No, on the contrary, my dear Kait, I want you to stay.” Marcus said with a warm smile and sat down on the sofa.

“You said that you had something you wanted to ask me, my Lord?” She asked as she sat on the sofa next to Marcus.

“The Zone, the one we’re at now I mean, does it have it’s own code and law?” Marcus asked with a curious expression.

“Yes, we go by the teachings of Dakrin. He wrote all the laws in a small book. It’s called The Book Of Shadows. It’s like half diary and half manual,” She said with a frown, then added, “Shain is the only one that has read it though.”

“You mean he has something of my father’s and didn’t tell me?” Marcus was a little annoyed. “Why would he hold that from me?”

“He was going to show you when you started your training, my Lord.” Kait said hurriedly.

“Go and tell him I want to read the book NOW and I don’t want to be disturbed until I finish reading it.” Marcus said, Kait could see the annoyed lines on her Lord’s face and stood rather quickly.

“Right away my Lord.” She said and rushed out the door.

“Marcus, don’t take it so personally. Shain was saving it as a surprise for you. He really did not want to keep it from you.” Jesse said, sitting so close there hips were touching. She placed an arm around him.

“I know. I guess I’m a little keyed up from the ‘negotiations’. I really did not mean to get mad. Tell Shain that I’m not mad at him. Kait will most likely tell him I was annoyed.” Just about that time Kait rushed back into the room.

In her hand she held a small, black leather bound book. It was about the size of a paper back westerns that only have about 250 pages. Marcus just looked at the book. He did not reach out for it for a very long moment. This was a something that tied him to his heritage. This was something that would answer questions on what his father thought was right. But above all, it was a part of Marcus.

“Shain said he’s sorry... he did not know keeping it from you would make you angry.” Kait said as Marcus tentatively reached out and gently took the small black book.

“Will the two of you go tell Shain that I’m not angry.... And... Don’t take it personally, but I would like to be alone while I read this. I will contact you through thought when I have finished.” Marcus said in a low voice, never looking up from the book.

“Of course, Love. After I talk to Shain I will be in our room. If you need anything and I mean ANYTHING, just call for me.” Jesse said and gave Marcus a hug and a light kiss on the forehead. she knew how important this was for him.

“That goes the same for me, my Lord.” Kait said with a very serious voice

Jesse then turned to go and started to walk out. Kait followed her, leaving Marcus with the book... And his thoughts, which were racing. He ran his fingers over the smooth black leather of the book. It looked old. It was well worn in some places. Marcus could imagine Dakrin leaning over it as he wrote. Marcus sat back down on the sofa with a sigh. He knew that what ever was in this book, MIGHT change his way of thinking.

Marcus was almost afraid to open the book. What if there were things in there that would disgust or repulse him. What if his father wasn’t the way everyone thought and Shain kept that fact away from the Knights. His worries and inhibitions were starting to be out weighed by his curiosity though. Marcus ran his finger tips over the soft leather and the words on the cover. “Shadow Law” they said.

“To each his own, and this is mine...” Marcus said out loud and opened the book and started to read the thoughts and philosophies of Dakrin.....

* * *

The words were hand written in very neat print. Marcus read his father’s words very slowly, almost soaking up the knowledge. Marcus was surprised to see the first lines in the book were addressed to him. He knew that they had to have been written well after the book was finished. They told him that if he was reading this, that he was most likely dead and gone. Dakrin had written his apologies, telling Marcus that he wished that he could be there with him. He did not know his name though. Dakrin just called him Son.

The first pages were written law. They went by numbered rules. Marcus read all of them with appreciation. The page started off with what Dakrin called The Five Commandments. (1) Never abuse your power. The mortals of this land are inevitably weaker than we are. You may have followers, but you must take responsibility and protect them. So choose wisely who you take under your wing.

(2) Do not underestimate the bad element of our kind. Like Normal people, we too have a bad element in our midst. Always try to keep them at bay and do what you must to prevent them from harming one another.

(3) Watch the back of your brothers and sisters of the Zone. Always put them above yourself. We are each others life. Without our pact, the Shadow Knight nation would be in chaos. There should always be kindness in your heart for the weaker of our kind.

(4) If the Zone is threatened, do everything in your power to stop the threat. The life of one is not worth that of many.

(5) Even a Master is still a student. Never let the power of Shadow go to your head. If it does, it will be your down fall. Take every day with zeal and hone your skills to the highest level. Perfection is the goal. Never forget that.

Marcus read these words with a quiet smile on his lips. His father was wise. He knew that now. Marcus read some other rules that made complete since. His fingers tracing the paper, trying to imagine his father writing with a look of concentration. The book went on to explain things that Marcus already knew. Like building your Kinetics for battle. He also said that there were those who could keep there Kinetics up. Dakrin said that he was one of them, but he did not say who else could do it.

That was until towards the end... In the notes... Dakrin said that he had met a strange man by the name of Kalib. He was a Knight of the highest order. Dakrin went on to tell that he was not for sure if he could beat this man in battle. This man called Kalib was a perfect Killing machine said Dakrin. Five of the Knights in the Zone at the time were foolish enough to pick a fight with him... They were slaughtered like sheep.

Dakrin said in the book, that if this man were to have children, they would start a race as strong as the Knights. Marcus thought of this for a moment. There was a possibility that this man called Kalib had offspring. The idea could be good or bad. It depends on how you looked at it. If it was good, then they might be able to find them and make powerful allies. If it were bad, they would have powerful enemies.

Marcus took a deep breath and wondered if he would ever run into Kalib or any of his family. If Kalib had a son; and he was a powerful as Dakrin was, then the Son would be as powerful as Marcus. This did not worry Marcus though. Marcus reread the book several times before laying it down. For some unknown reason his thoughts drifted to Mouse. His beautiful adopted sister.

When he thought of her, all thoughts of the war he was starting seemed to disappear. Suddenly he wished she was there. Her outlandish behavior was well missed with Marcus. He loved her unpredictable nature. ‘I could call her?’ he thought with a smile.

With that thought in mind, he walked to the phone. He had a big smile on his face at the anticipation of hearing her voice. He dialed the numbers with a shaky hand, which was odd for Marcus. He let the phone ring about three times before someone actually picked it up. It was Kathy.

“Marcus!” It’s so good to here from you!”

“Hello Kathy, how are you doing?” He asked trying to imagine her smile.

“Well, I’m doing pretty good, considering..”

“Considering what?” Marcus asked, a little curious.

“Well this house is a little big to be all alone in. Without you and Mouse here... I guess I’m a little lonely.” She said in a sad voice.

“Were did Mouse go?” Marcus asked, his throat felt like it was closing off. He could almost feel the answer.

“What do you mean, ‘Were did she go?’. You sent one of your friends, and they said you needed her for something.” She said, sounding a little worried.

Marcus had to grip the side of the table that the phone was sitting on for support. His head was spinning. “What were they wearing?” Marcus asked in a weak voice.

“He had on a black button up shirt like you wear, and jeans. He was wearing shades to.... Marcus is there something wrong?” Kathy asked, her voice tight.

“Kathy I have to go, I’ll call you back.” Marcus said, not waiting for her reply.

Marcus just stood stalk still for a moment. There was no emotion in his face. But that image was shattered when a single tear rolled out from under his shades. Marcus brought his fist down VERY hard on the large oak table and split the table clean into with the blow. His mind was a blaze of murderous thoughts. He was just about to run full speed out the door and straight for any Dark Knight he seen. (Because he knew that if they were Knights from New Mexico, they would have worn black trench coats.) Marcus planned on killing every one that he saw.

He started for the door but it flew open before he could reach it. Jesse blew in like a whirl wind. Marcus’ first thought was that she heard the table break. But he seen her face and knew it was something else. “Mouse is here!” She said with a pale face. “Marcus, she’s hurt... It’s pretty bad.” She said in a low voice as Shain appeared behind her.

Shain was carrying Marcus’ beloved Mouse through the door. Jesse moved to one side, so he could get through. Shain seen the rage on Marcus’ face. “Marcus, she’s alive but I don’t know for how long... We have to do something... NOW. And you have to have focus.” Shain said calmly.

He then walked over and laid Mouse on the soft sofa. Marcus looked at his beloved Mouse and his blood seem to boil. Her smooth beautiful face was adorned with many bruises. Her eye was swollen shut and Marcus could see a cut of her scalp at her hairline. He knew that she would be in great pain if she were conscious. He pulled out his sword and slipped it under her shirt, effectively cutting it away from her. He had to see what kind of damage he was up against. His heart sank.

He could tell that she had several broke ribs and possibly a broke sternum. Her mid-section was dark purple. It was almost like her whole body was a bruise. “I’ll help you heal her Marcus, but you have to focus.” He heard Shain say.

“Alright..” Marcus said with gritted teethe. “I’ll try to focus my hardest... Are you ready?” He asked Shain. Shain then got on his knee’s beside Marcus and Mouse.

“I’m ready... This is going to be draining Marcus... Jesse, get five Knights to stand guard at the door. Me and Marcus are going to be pretty drained after this and I don’t want to be caught off guard.” Shain said in a thin voice.

Even though Marcus’ Kinetics were already built up, he decided to build them up further. His anger seemed to force his Kinetics higher. He had his eyes closed and his hand lying gently on Mouse’s stomach. He felt like he was a solid ball of energy after only building it for thirty seconds. But he kept building because he knew that Shain had also laid his hand on her. He mumbled to Shain to build his Kinetics for at least five minutes.

So that’s how it was. Marcus and Shain was stalk still with there hand on Mouse for at least five minute. Marcus began to think he was going to explode if he did not let the Kinetics loose. His heart rate was about 180 beats a second. But he held fast. Marcus wanted to be sure that this worked. Marcus was still angry as hell but at the moment he was channeling the anger through Kinetics.

Marcus could hold the Kinetics for no longer. He mumbled to Shain to release. Marcus felt the power shoot through his arm and into Mouse. It almost felt like pure fire. He thought his hand was actually burning for a second. He opened his eyes to watch the process at that point and what he seen, he could hardly believe.

The bruises on Mouse began to quickly fade. The swelling in her eye and jaw began to go down rather rapidly. The split on her scalp also healed it’s self quite quickly. Pretty soon Mouse looked like her old self again. That’s not what surprised Marcus though. What surprised him was her muscle tone. The little fat that she did have started to disappear. Her muscles were toning themselves.... It was almost as if she had the body of a Knight.

Shain suddenly sunk back exhausted, laying on the floor, unable to sit up. Marcus could feel that exhaustion start to come to him as well. But the power just kept flowing out of him and into Mouse. Marcus finally could not take any more and fell back. The exhaustion felt bone deep... But he stayed awake to make sure Mouse was OK.

Marcus looked at her with quiet awe. Mouse now had the muscle tone of a Knight, even though she was not one. The little fat that the girl did have was now gone. The firmness of toned sleek muscle had replaced it. She did not have bulking muscle, only very firm, toned muscle. Her face was still the same, still quite beautiful to Marcus.

Marcus was using all of his strength to stay in a sitting position. Then the moment came. Mouse slowly opened her eye lids to reveal those deep blue eyes. Marcus had expected to see fear, considering what she went through... But what he seen had surprised him. It was an icy cold rage that sent a chill down even his spine. Her eyes then focused on Marcus though and immediately warmed at the sight. Marcus was a little surprised when he saw that her eyes had worry in them... Worry for him.

“Jesus Marcus! You look like hell!” Mouse said and came to Marcus’ side with such grace and speed that it surprised him a little.

She might not be able to give a Knight a run for his money... But she sure as hell could a Normal. He thought wryly. “Good to see you too short-stuff.” Marcus said with a tired smile.

She sat down right beside him and started to guide his head so that it rested on her shoulder. Under ordinary circumstances, Marcus would have argued such coddling... But he was really tired. “I’m sorry... I should have been...” He started.

“Shhh, It’s my fault. I should have known better than to go off with strangers... They said that you needed my help... How stupid can I be.. You never ask for help.” She spoke as she slowly stroked his hair with gentle care and an enormous amount of love in her eyes.

“If you keep doing that... I’m gonna fall asleep...” He mumbled into her shoulder. Then there was a cold fury that slipped over him... Mouse felt it and her muscles tensed. “I swear by whatever God is out there... I’m gonna kill every fuckin’ one of them.” His voice was ice cold when he spoke.

“Shhh, not right now... What ever you did to help me... It took a lot out of you. Please try to sleep... For me? You need it.” Mouse said in a tone that Marcus never could resist.

“For you, short-stuff....” He said and retreated to the dream world

Mouse must have sat there for a good five minutes just absorbed in thoughts. She didn’t know if it was wise or not to tell her Love that the Dark Knights did far worse things than beat her. Mouse knew that would send him into a rage that she might not be able to get him out of. That prospect scared her. She knew that emotions ran deep in him. He never did show them to most people... To her knowledge, she was the only one. But that girl Jesse... Mouse had a sneaking suspicion that Marcus had opened up to her a little more than usual.

Well, I guess I’ll just have to try harder to keep his attention on me. She thought smugly. She was very protective of Marcus. It was not that she minded him sleeping with other people... She just did not like the idea of him giving a piece of his heart to another... And she was pretty sure, he did just that.

Mouse remembered the small dark room, with no windows, all to well. She remembered the older man called Dillon. He had came in and gave her a beating at least seven or eight times while she was there. He had told the purpose of this. It was to insure that she did not get any smart ideas. She remembered the guards at the door had came in and... She quit thinking at that point. The memories were just to painful and humiliating.

Mouse gently moved Marcus around until he was lying down with his head in her lap. She looked at his sleeping, peaceful face and let a tear roll down her cheek. The knowledge that she might one day get to see him again had been the only thing that kept her going in that horrid place... She loved the boy that lay in her lap more than life it self. She came to that conclusion when she was being beat with the assorted objects the Dark Knights had handy. She really did hope that Marcus would kill them... She did not know if that was right or wrong.. But it was the way she felt.

Oh, my sweet Marcus, through life and death I will follow you... I swear it. She thought with a with deep sadness.

Just about that time the doors to the room opened. Mouse flinched noticeably when they did. She was still real edgy, which was understandable considering what she had been through. It was Jesse. She had a black t-shirt in one hand and a glass of water in the other. She strolled over to where Marcus and Mouse were on the floor. To Mouse, she looked a bit nervous.

“I thought you might want a drink and a shirt to put on.” She said as she looked down at Mouse.

Mouse looked down, and for the first time, noticed that she was naked from the waist up. This, of course, made her blush deeply. She gently lifted Marcus’ head and laid it down on the floor with as much ease as possible. “Thanks, I never even...” She just let the sentence hang as she reached for the shirt and put it on. After the shirt was on, she looked straight into Jesse’s mirror-plated shades and asked, “Is he gonna be all right?” She said this as she looked back down at a peaceful looking Marcus.

“Yeah... Healing just sorta... Drains a Knight. Marcus just needs rest. I think I should get him to a more comfortable place though... I’ll put my brother, Shain, on the sofa first though.” She said with only a slight smile.

“I’ll help—” Mouse started but was cut short.

“No, that’s OK.... I think I can handle it... Thanks for the offer though.” She said and walked over to where Shain was laying and picked him up as if he weighed no more than a child would.

Mouse was a little surprised at Jesse’s strength, but she did not say anything. She watched as Jesse layed him on the sofa and walked back towards Marcus. She reached down and gently picked him up so that his head rested against her shoulder. She carried him as a husband would a bride over the threshold. Mouse could see the love in Jesse’s eyes when she looked at Marcus. It hurt a little.

“Where are you taking him?” Mouse asked in a small voice. She was afraid that if she talked normal, her voice would crack.

“Back to our room... I’ll send someone in to show you where your sleeping quarters are.” She said and turned and walked out the door.

When she said OUR room, it hurt Mouse a lot more for some cause. She always thought that she was above childish jealousy.... But apparently she was not.

* * *

When Jesse made it out the door, she noticed that Kait was leaning against the wall in the hall with a nervous look on her face. She wondered why she was still there. She out ranked many of Shain’s Blade Runners. She could have just ordered someone else to stand watch. “Kait you need to get some rest, why don’t you just let them watch the door?” She asked, nodding her head towards five other Knights standing beside the door.

“I wanted to make sure that everything was OK. Besides, I’m anything but tired.” Which was the truth. In fact, she felt restless.

“Ok, if you want to help, maybe you should go try to make a friend of Marcus’ sister in there.” She said, looking at the closed door.

“That was his sister?! I... shit... When he gets back on his feet he’s gonna—” She was cut off by Jesse then.

“Yes, I know. He’s gonna be livid. And yes, that is his sister... Well, foster sister anyway... She could probably use a friend right now.” She said in a very friendly, but sad voice.

“Yeah, I know. I did a scan on her memories when she was brought in... BASTARDS!” Kait said with venom.

“So, go make a friend of her. Marcus feels very deeply for her... So she can’t be all that bad. He don’t give his trust lightly.” Then she turned and started down the hall with her Love in her arms, towards their room.

“That I shall..” Kait mumbled and opened the door.

* * *

Mouse heard the turn of the door knob and jumped a little. She mentally cursed herself for being so damned spooked. She really wished that Jesse had not taken Marcus out of her sight... It made her feel better just to be in his presence. She watched as a young girl that looked to be a year younger than her pop her head through the door.

After the girl seen that she did not frighten Mouse, she walked through the doorway. Her smile was one of open friendliness that put Mouse somewhat at ease. In fact, for some reason beyond her knowledge, she was somewhat attracted to the girl. She was quite beautiful with shoulder length black hair and she had the stride of a warrior. The sword on her back... By the comfortable way she carried herself, Mouse bet she could use it quite well.

Mouse was leaning against the wall when the girl approached. “Hello, my name is Kait.” She said, putting her fist over her heart and bowing her head slightly.

Mouse decided to follow suit and did the same. “Mouse.” She said and mimicked Kait’s motions.

“I know this is really, really forward, but... Would you like to take a walk with me? We have to give the boys a chance to rest anyway....” She asked and thought, My God, but she’s pretty. I didn’t really get a chance to see her beauty before, because of the bruises... But now... Damn.

Mouse was a little apprehensive of the request. But for some reason she was very tempted. “Where would we walk? I don’t want to go to far from here.” Mouse said in a low voice. Not far from Marcus... Not again.

“Oh, there’s a stretch of woods behind this Base. I like to walk it sometimes... I like it out there. It’s peaceful... And you look like you could use some peace.” Kait said, it slipped out before she could stop it. She braced herself for the reaction... But was surprised.

“Sure, that sounds OK. But I feel a little nervous without a weapon.” Mouse said. This was more of a test than anything else. She knew that if Kait meant to harm her that she would not let her have one.

“That’s quite understandable,” She started and reached behind her back. There was a dagger clipped to her belt. The blade was about seven inches long and it had a leather wrapped handle. She unhooked the sheath and all, then handed it to her. “It’s razor sharp, I’d be careful.” She said with slight amusement to her voice.

“I’ll do that. I guess I could use a walk. Whatever Marcus did put a whole lot of energy in me. I feel the need to burn it off.” She said with a quiet smile.

“What he did.... Was save your life. You would have died.” Kait said with a sad voice.

“I figured that. Well, let’s get walking.” She said with a small chuckle. God, how I’m glad to be near him again.

With that they walked out the door...

* * *

It was dark. Much to dark. The coldness of the closet almost went bone deep. Marcus was seven. He could feel the welts on his back almost pulse, from were he was whipped with the metal end of a fly swatter. But worst yet was the pounding in his head.

He had not taken out the garbage on time. His foster father had decided to punish him. He took after him with the metal end of the fly swatter... But no tears came to Marcus’ eyes when he had done that. So... He decided on the baseball bat. Marcus was struck over the back with that... Still he did not cry out. That was when his foster father struck him in the head with the bat, knocking him unconscious.

There was enormous fear in Marcus’ heart. It was not of getting hurt though. It was the fear that he might live the rest of his life like this. Marcus wished that the blow to the head had killed him. He wished that with his whole being.

He could feel his heart pounding extremely hard... But even at that age, he knew it would start to slow if he did not get stitches in his head.

The dark, cold, cramped closet bothered him more than a lot. He felt like he could not breath. He felt as if he may die. He would welcome death... But not here. Not in the dark. Not like this....

* * *

Jesse was watching Marcus intently as he slept. She was snuggled up next to him, her head laying on his chest. She could feel his heart pounding hard. Sweat had started to break out on his forehead. She knew that he was having a nightmare. Jesse also knew that Marcus feared almost nothing... She wanted to see what frightened him this much, so she dove into his mind. What she found made her escape just as fast.

Hell’s Outhouse... That’s what he called it and from what I just seen... That is a pretty accurate fuckin’ description... Fuckin’ Bastards! Jesse thought with ice cold rage. She suddenly wanted to track down who ever did that and send them to hell.

Jesse could not watch him suffer anymore. She reached up and stroked his cheek gently, trying to coax him out of the nightmare as gently as possible. She would have seen his eyes shoot open with lighting speed if his shades were not on. All of his muscles tensed... She did feel that. “Shhh, take it easy. I’m here, Love.” She said with such emotion in her voice that it touched Marcus’ heart.

Marcus could feel her worry. “I’m fine... Old stuff... I’d rather forget.” He said with such a calm voice... It was a good act. He knew, because it took him years to perfect. To teach himself not to show emotion.

“Love, it might be old stuff, but it still hurts. It’s gonna keep hurting until you deal with it.” She said as she rubbed gentle circles on his chest.

“I don’t... How long was I asleep?” He asked, effectively changing the subject.

Jesse knew he was avoiding the subject and she decided to let him off the hook this time. “About two in a half hours..... Marcus?”

“Hmm?”

“I want you to know something.” Jesse said, her voice was like velvet.

“Yes?”

“I love you more than the world itself... I would do anything for you. So if ever need anything and I mean anything.... I’ll try my best to provide it, my love... I swear on all that I hold sacred.” A single tear rolled down her cheek as she said the last.

Marcus leaned in and kissed her forehead... The look on his face spoke volumes of how grateful he was. “I love you.” He said.

She was about to say something back but was interrupted by rapid approaching footsteps. And a loud knock at the door. “I’ll get it.” She said and rolled out of bed

Marcus’ Kinetics were up and he could sense fear on the other side of that door. He rolled out of bed and grabbed his sword that was leaning against the bed post. He strapped to his back even fast than Jesse could get to the door. Marcus did not know why, but all his instincts were screaming trouble.

Jesse opened the door and a Knight walked in looking very nervous. He looked over to Marcus. “My Lord, there is a Knight from the Zone in New Mexico that wishes to speak with you. He has two other Knights with him.”

“Do you know what he wants?” Marcus asked in a tone that worried Jesse a little. The Marcus that was talking now... Was not the same one that she was in bed with. She could feel danger and menace radiating from him. This was the Marcus that had a taste for battle and blood... This was The Son Of Dakrin.

“My Lord, his exact words were “I want to meet this so called Son Of Dakrin.” My senses tell me this one is dangerous, my Lord.” The Knight said with a worried look to his face.

“Well...” He started and a smile twitched at the corner of his lips. “I guess if he’s willing to travel all the way from New Mexico, I would be rood to turn him down.” He finished, walking towards the door. Jesse put a hand on his shoulder to stop him though.

“Did he say what his name was?” She asked the Knight in a tight voice.

“Talon. John Talon.” The Knight said.

“Marcus, be careful with him. He’s ranked the fourth best Shadow Knight in New Mexico. I’ve seen him fight.... He’s deadly.” She said in a scared voice. Saying she seen him fight was an understatement. She watched him cut down eight Knights like they were nothing.

“Relax, I won’t do nothing unless he makes the first move.” Marcus said in a reassuring voice and walked out the door.

As Marcus was walking towards the front door, he realized that he was not one hundred percent recovered from healing Mouse. He was more like seventy percent recovered. That worried him... But only for a moment. After all, I haven’t met anyone yet that I couldn’t take. He thought. Jesse was only steps behind him, her worry still evident on her face. Marcus was a little annoyed at her lack of confidence in him.

He made it to the front door and stopped. He turned to Jesse and lowered his shades. Marcus gave her a little wink... To try and perk her up a little. It did work a little. Her face relaxed noticeably. “Just a walk in the park Jess. Just a walk in the park.” He said with an amused voice and opened the front door, stepping into a cool night breeze.

About twenty yards down the drive way, Marcus noticed the three Knights. He guessed the one called Talon was the one in front and the two behind him was back up. Marcus wanted to know why the hell they were there though. He took very confident strides towards his adversaries. Marcus felt no fear at all as he did it either.

Marcus looked Talon over the closer he got. The Knight had short blonde hair and his shades were lowered, so Marcus could see the coldness in his blue eyes. Talon was wearing the trade mark trench coat that the New Mexican Knights always wore and his sword was strapped to his back at an angle for easy access. Marcus could sense that this Knight was dangerous... But he still was not intimidated.

He stopped about ten feet away from the three Knights. Were the hell is Shain? He wondered. He asked the Knight that told him to come out here telepathically, and got the answer that Shain was still wiped out from helping with Mouse.

“So what brings you boys all the way out here?” Marcus asked with an amused voice.

“So you’re the GREAT Son Of Dakrin??” Talon asked with a little chuckle and stepped forward. “We want that bitch standing behind you.... She’s wanted for High Treason in The Zone. She killed a captain.... you can hand her over... Or... There can be War.” He said, his voice was a little to damned cocky for Marcus’ liking.

“Then there will be War... Because, you sure as HELL ain’t taking her back.” Marcus said in a low, yet all to deadly voice.

“You think you’re hot shit, don’t you?” Talon asked, taking a step back so that he was standing by his Knights.

“I can hold my own.” Marcus stated. And then some. He thought wryly.

“Care for a little challenge then?” Talon asked in a mock innocent voice.

“What didja have in mind?” Marcus drawled.

“These two Knights here... Against you. If you’re as good as the rumors say... It should not be to difficult.” Talan said with a wicked low voice.

“You’re on.” Marcus said simply.

<What the hell are you doing?!> Jesse asked him telepathically.

<Just having a little fun.. Relax, Darlin.> He sent back with a smile, as he drew his sword in a fluid motion.

“Ready when you are.” He told the two Knights that were advancing on him.

The first came in with a pathetically slow overhead strike. Marcus side stepped and brought his sword down with great speed across the Knights sword arm, severing it from the elbow down. When the Knight bent over in pain, Marcus brought the sword across the back of his neck, efficiently taking his head. He watched only for a second as the corpse hit the ground.... Because the second Knight came in.

This one came in with a lunge, trying to drive the sword through Marcus’ heart. Marcus side stepped yet again and did a full spin that brought the sword across the pathetic Knights neck. He didn’t watch that body hit the ground.... He kept his eyes on Talon. He noted that Talon looked like he wasn’t the least bit impressed.

“They were rookies. That’s why I brought them. I wanted to see how you did against rookies.... If it were a real fighter you probably would not do so hot.” Talon said with a twitch of a smile.

“Are you a real fighter?” Marcus asked in an even, though low voice

“Yes, I am. but I’m not going to fight you.” Talon said in a voice that matched Marcus’.

“Why ever not?” Marcus asked with a smirk.

“Even if I win... The whole base will be on me. I’m good, but I know my limit.” He said in an even voice. The voice had no fear in it what so ever.

Marcus did not know what came over him. He felt a coldness ever since that stupid dream. He just felt reckless... And then he done something very reckless. “Jesse... This isn’t something you can argue, so don’t try... I want your word of honor... That if I fight this pathetic life form over here and lose.. There won’t be one Knight that will lift a finger against him... At least not tonight anyway.” He said without taking his eyes off Talon.

Jesse was about to argue anyway, but she seen something in Marcus’ face. He wasn’t in the mood to argue... So she went against her better judgement. “You have my word.” She said in a low voice.

“There... That’s out of the way... you still want to fight.” Marcus said, a smile was adorning his face. It was anything but pleasant though.

“I would be more than happy to,” Talon said, as he pulled his sword from it’s sheath. “You’re going to regret this, Son Of Dakrin.” He said and closed the distance.

He surprised Marcus to say the least. Talon came in with an overhead strike with such speed that Marcus barely got the block up. Marcus countered with a side strike going for the ribs, but Talon blocked that easily. They went stroke for stroke for a good five minutes... Talon slipped passed Marcus’ defenses after that.

Marcus made the mistake of loosening his grip on his sword so he could shift it easier and Talon struck his sword with enough strength to send it flying. Then he done a spinning move that brought the hilt of his sword right across Marcus’ temple. Making him hit the ground with a thud. Marcus started to see stars. Everything was swimming in and out of focus.

“The great Son Of Dakrin! Laying on his back like a bitch.” He looked right at Jesse. “That will teach you to believe in foolish prophecy. Because if he dies now... It proves that the legends are wrong... And he is going to die.” Talon said with a smirk and lifted his sword for the death blow.

Then something strange happened. His eyes suddenly grew very wide and Jesse seen the light go out of them. Talon fell to the ground with a thump... Landing just beside Marcus. Very much dead. Marcus looked up and seen Mouse there..... An icy blue, murderous look in her eyes as she looked at Talon. “If a Knight can’t touch you... I sure as hell can.” She said in a low and deadly voice and spat at the corpse.

She then dropped down to a knee beside Marcus. Marcus seen the knife that was in Mouse’s hand. He didn’t know that Kait gave it to her though. All seven inches of that blade went into the back of Talon’s neck, cutting his brain stem into. “Nice timing short-stuff.” Marcus said with a tired smile. “I owe you one—” He got cut off.

“Haven’t you figured out that we do things for each other without having stupid debts.” She said, a warm smile replacing that the deadly look she had moments ago. Marcus was very glad of that. That look spooked him.

Marcus then scrambled to his feet slowly. “I guess I should learn something from this—” He was cut short by a voice that came from behind Jesse.

“Rule number one: Never underestimate an opponent,” Shain said with a deep even voice. “You’re training starts in the morning... Be ready... We have a lot to do.” Then he just turned and started to head back to the house.

Marcus felt remarkably stupid for letting himself get that reckless. He knew better. But he also swore to the gods that it would never happen again. From now on... No more reckless chances. He thought. War was coming... And if he would be damned if he would make the same mistake with Knights that followed him.

He was very curious as to what Shain would teach him in the morning. After the stupidity he just showed.... He was fully prepared to accept any knowledge he got.