The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Legacy of Mr. Brooks

By The Writer

Chapter 8

…but I set them all to right when my testing was complete. No Christian left my labs any less of a Christian; no Democrat left my labs any less a Democrat. Was what I did ethical? No. Not by the standards of today. But no one was harmed, in the end.

Of course that was before my ethics went out the window. Before my wife died. Before my daughter found out some of the things I’d done and stopped speaking to me. Before the loneliness almost killed me…

KRISTA’S CHAPTER

When they said Daniel hadn’t shown up to work Monday morning, I wasn’t too worried. Of course, I wanted to call him at home and see if he was alright. But he was a fragile man in some ways. Not that he was weak or anything—no, he was the strongest man I knew – morally. Stronger than his grandfather. But he could be unpredictable and I lived in fear that he would walk away from me again. We’d had lunch for six days straight, spent the last seven evenings together, and it was heaven to me. Not to mention the glorious weekend. Maybe he needed space now, I thought. If he wanted me, he’d call; I didn’t need to be bugging him.

I spent the day looking for places for the girls. Two of them would be moving into the same apartment complex as me at the end of this week. I’d found places for two others last week and had only one more girl to place. I also tried to come up with some project that could occupy all of us for Daniel’s benefit. I flip-flopped between trying to come up with a business idea that would interest him and a charity that he would approve of. I guess I would just have to ask him which road he wanted us to focus on.

By the afternoon, I was feeling low. He hadn’t called all day and my mind was beginning to entertain the horrible possibility that it was over between us again. I was nearly certain that the plight of the girls would concern him enough that he wouldn’t just walk out on us. On me. Not that that was why I told him! Oh God, no, that would be so wrong if that was my motivation! But I knew it wasn’t. The girls were a problem he would want to know about. And he was worried – so I had been right to tell him.

When dinnertime approached I decided it would be best if I gave him a call, just to make sure he was okay. But only his machine picked up, so I tried his cell. It went to voicemail on the first ring. That’s odd – his phone’s off.

Either he really, really didn’t want to talk to me or…well, I couldn’t come up with another possibility. I cried for an hour.

After that I told myself I was being silly. Daniel wouldn’t want me to be crying over him. But, I needed to know what to do from here. I won’t bother him, I thought, just try to collect a little information.

I drove over to his apartment where I saw his truck was parked. Okay, he’s home, and not answering his phones. I should go.

Instead I went upstairs: maybe I could just peek in a window without him noticing. It was dark inside the apartment and I couldn’t see much. I was about to give up when I noticed something odd about the couch. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I realized that the cushions were not on it. That’s odd. Maybe I’ll just try the door.

The door was unlocked so I opened it a crack, then wider, then wider. As the door got wider, I imagine my eyes must have also. The place was torn apart! It looked like a whirlwind had gone through. I stepped in and called, “Daniel???” my voice cracked. No answer.

Oh dear God, oh heavens above, oh God. Something has happened.

I stood there frozen to the spot for unforgiveable seconds before my mind clicked on again. Once my training and my conditioning took over again I instantly assumed the worst and moved to counter the situation. I needed professional help and I needed it now.

First I had to alert the others. Emily first. I pulled out my cell and called her number.

“Hello?” she answered.

“Emily, Krista. Listen now. This is a Brooks family emergency and you are to go cold immediately. Are you ready?”

Less than a second passed, “Go”, she said. She gained control a lot quicker than I did.

“Daniel’s apartment appears to have been searched. Daniel is not to be found. His truck is here, his cell is off. At this time I am assuming he has been kidnapped and is in mortal danger. You are to call the other girls and update them. Except for Kathleen, I will call her. Instruct them to meet at my place as quickly as they can get there. Bring any necessary equipment. Clear?”

“Clear.” Click, she was gone.

Next, I called Kathleen.

“Hi, Krista!”

Kathleen, listen now. This is a Brooks family emergency and you are to go cold immediately. Are you ready?”

Again, less than a second, “Go”, she said.

“Daniel’s apartment appears to have been searched. Daniel is not to be found. His truck is here, his cell is off. At this time I am assuming he has been kidnapped and is in mortal danger. You are to contact Miller and get him over here. Then you will contact Butch Sellers and inform him that Mr. Brooks needs him. Get him and his team into town, soonest. Tell him to bring his full gear for a likely hostile situation. Then bring anything you might need and meet the rest of us at my place. Clear?”

“Butch will need to know whether we expect land or sea operations,” Kathleen said.

“Expect land, but don’t rule out sea.”

“Got it,” she said. “That all?”

“Yes,” I said, and hung up.

Deep inside, a part of me was still screaming hysterically. Shut the fuck up! I told it.

Butch Sellers was the C.O. of a Navy Seal platoon. He and some of his men had trained all of us girls in combat. Not to say that we were anything like as good as a Seal, no way. But we all knew some basics. What was more important now, we knew Butch and we knew that he was one of Mr. Brooks’ men. Once he heard that Mr. Brooks needed him that’s all it would take for him to break any law, defy any order to get his team out to where they were needed.

Mr. Brooks would clean up any mess left over. Except, of course, that Mr. Brooks was dead. Well, we won’t mention that part. I don’t know if his conditioning would have been strong enough to bring him here had he known that. He wasn’t one of us girls, after all. He was loyal to Mr. Brooks but his whole life was not centered on the master the way ours were.

Another conditioning Mr. Brooks had put in all of us was the ability to shut off emotion when the situation called for it. In an emergency, we would do whatever it took to extract him from trouble, or to complete whatever other mission he’d given us. In reality, none of us had ever needed it before today. But trained and ready I was, or should have been. That’s why I was ashamed of the wasted seconds spent frozen in shock in Daniel’s apartment. Seconds could mean the difference between Daniel’s life and his death somewhere down the road.

I’d make up for that lapse by doing everything perfect and at maximum speed from here on.

Call the cops, or not? Not, I decided quickly. They could be called if needed once we knew what we were dealing with. They were a tool of last resort. I’d get my own people in here first: Tony Miller, and his staff. They were the best detectives money could buy. And, like Butch, loyal to Mr. Brooks.

On cue, my cell rang.

“Krista here,” I answered.

“Krista, Tony Miller. I understand Mr. Brooks has a problem?”

“That’s right, sir.”

“How can I help?”

I said, “His grandson’s apartment has been ransacked. We have reason to believe he may have been kidnapped. We also have reason to believe this could be the work of the government.”

God, I hoped not. That really would be worst case. But my mind had been working through the possibilities subconsciously. If they knew he was Mr. Brooks’ grandson, it could be a ransom kidnapping. But if they knew that much, wouldn’t they also know Mr. Brooks was no longer around to ransom him? And why the apartment search? What were they looking for? The only thing Daniel had of value was the notebook. If they found that, we’re all in trouble. It could have been a random burglary I supposed but to my, admittedly untrained, eye, the way the apartment was torn up didn’t look like that. And if it was, then most likely Daniel was dead and all our lives were over anyway.

No, the most likely scenario that held any hope at all was that agents of a government, most likely ours, or of a corporation or other group, had somehow learned of the notebook and what it contained, tried to find it in Daniel’s apartment, and spirited Daniel away.

Miller finally responded, “Uh, Krista, I don’t normally take any job that would put me up against the government. That might be illegal and, more important, deadly.”

Hmm, this doesn’t sound good. His conditioning has lapsed some. How to approach this? Threaten, plead, cajole? I would do whatever it took to get him out here. Let’s try reason first.

“This isn’t any normal Job, Tony. This is for Mr. Brooks. You owe him. You know that.”

“I know I do, I know I do. But, jeez, Krista. Have you called the cops?”

“I’m not even going to dignify that with an answer. Look, Tony, we’re not asking you to go up against anyone. We’ve got other people, specialists, for that. You’re the best detective around. Just get out here and tell us what happened. We’ll take it from there.”

There was a sigh, then, “Alright.”

Thank God.

I gave him the address and told him to charter a helicopter out to the nearest airport. Then I drove to my bank and pulled out some spending cash. I figured eight thousand ought to cover most contingencies short term while not triggering too big an alarm. I expected the others would think of doing the same.

After that I called Miller for an update and learned that he would be landing within a half hour. I could make it without too high a rate of speed. Just in case, I flipped the plates on my Jag. On the back side was a different license number, registered to a non-existent woman named Christine Simmons who looked surprisingly like me and who lived at a non-existent address at the other end of the state. If I had to do anything illegal, maybe that would cover me.

Miller’s chopper was right on time and he and his two associates piled into my Jag. I floored it out of the airport.

“Give me the details,” Miller said.

“There’s not much to give,” I said. “Daniel was in his apartment Sunday night. On Monday morning he failed to show up for work. I called Monday evening. No answer on his landline; his cell was off. I went over to his apartment around seven PM and found his truck there, his door unlocked, and his apartment ransacked. I immediately called Kathleen, who called you.”

I was doing ninety on the freeway, trying to shave a few seconds off the drive. Then I saw the flashing lights behind me. Shit! Run for it or pull over? Pull over.

How can I make this faster? Shoot the cop? No, not with Miller and his gang in the car. Just be professional, I decided.

“Evening, miss. License and registration, please.”

“Of course.” I handed them both to him. The non-existent Christine’s, of course.

I cursed myself for making the foolish gamble, trying to save seconds and ending up costing us minutes. If Daniel dies because of me… I killed that line of thought. It was unproductive at the moment.

In his own due time, the cop wrote me his ticket and sent us on our way.

We proceeded with a bit more caution, though still speeding as much as I dared, and without further incident found ourselves back at the scene of the crime.

I left them to their business with instructions to call me at any time, for anything, and to spare no expense whatsoever. Their budget on this job was sixty million – try not to spend it all. I figured I might need some to support the Seals.

It was well past midnight when I made it back to my apartment. Emily and Arlene were there waiting. I asked them for updates and what resources they had brought. They had both withdrawn cash, as I expected, but were more conservative. Emily had four thousand while Arlene had five. After receiving their reports I ordered them, on Daniel’s authority, to get some sleep on my floor. (They had both anticipated the need and brought sleeping bags.) I knew they would need that order, which would be received by them as if Mr. Brooks himself had given it, to sleep through what was to come.

I also felt it was important I sleep soon but someone had to be awake for the others as they came in.

Over the next six hours the others rolled in. I took each one’s report and sent them to sleep. Kathleen was the last and reported that our Butch and his crew were flying in from France and would not be here until ten AM. Three more hours. Damn, why couldn’t they have been stateside?

I woke everyone.

“Alright, all of us are here. In the absence of Mr. Brooks and his grandson Daniel, I am assuming authority until this crisis is resolved. Any objections?”

That was just a formality. I had been Mr. Brooks’ second in command for a long time. I knew everyone would gladly defer to me. Anyway, no one wanted the responsibility for possibly screwing this operation and costing Daniel his life. The consequences for whoever did would be unthinkable. If Daniel died, my own death would be a comfort denied me.

“You are all to remain cold until relieved. Here is what we know and what we are doing about it.”

I proceeded to brief them. There were questions and suggestions from all of the girls. Not a single loose emotion could be found. I was proud of them all – though I suppressed that along with all the other emotions that wanted time in my brain. It was a good meeting but not especially productive. We just didn’t have enough information. We had to let the experts do their jobs.

“Who has had at least eight hours sleep in the last twenty-four?” Only Kathleen kept her hand down.

“Samantha, you are responsible for seeing to the needs of the team when they land. Emily, take care of food for everyone. Kathleen, you will catch up on your sleep. The rest of you, do research, buy gear, do whatever it is you think might help. But take no chances on alerting the authorities, or the enemy – who might very well be the authorities. And don’t get in Miller’s way.”

“I am going to sleep also. Wake us when Butch gets here.”

Butch chose not to put in an appearance at my place but instead he and his men holed up in the naval base and got me a pass.

Miller was there when I arrived.

“Okay guys, what do we know?” I asked.

Butch answered, “We think we’ve got them.”

My eyebrows went up. “Already?”

Miller answered, “There wasn’t much to go on at the apartment. It was taken apart by professionals. But my contacts with the local police turned up an interesting report. Apparently a van was pulled over in the area last night for speeding. No ticket was issued because it turned out to belong to the FBI. I contacted my FBI friend and they had no listing of this vehicle. It seemed like a dead-end. But it interested Butch.”

Butch said, “I have a contact who works for a certain agency. These guys like to go around pretending to be FBI because they’re operating out of their jurisdiction here in the states. The FBI would love to put a stop to it, of course, but they can’t. Homeland Security tells them to just shut up and not make a fuss. Now, it turns out there was an operation by these guys in the right area at the right time.”

“No info on the details, and it’s not conclusive, but if these aren’t your targets, it’s one hell of a coincidence.”

“Wow,” I said, “you guys are good.”

Butch shrugged, “We were as lucky as we were good. If that van hadn’t been pulled over…we’d have found them eventually, probably. But their screwup told us where to look.”

I winced at that. It hit too close to home with my earlier speeding screwup.

“Alright, what’s next?” I asked.

Butch answered, “Next, I go visit some folks I know and sit down for a cup of tea. Don’t worry, Krista, if they’ve got him, I can get him back.”

“Good. What can we do?”

“You girls still ready to fight?” he asked.

“Absolutely,” I answered.

“I hope we won’t need you. But in case we can use a little support, why don’t you pick up a nice assortment of combat gear. Can you do that?”

“We’ll be ready.”

Getting the gear was easier said than done. We all had handguns and a few of us had rifles but getting modern full-automatic battle equipment was something else. I knew people, of course, and I could have us all outfitted through semi-legal channels within a few days. But Daniel, wherever he was, probably didn’t want to wait that long.

In the end, I fell back on Miller.

“Miller, can you pick us up some weapons on short notice?”

“Probably, what are you needing?”

“One Barrett M82.”

“Shit,” he interrupted. “Sorry, go on.”

“Two M4A1s, two MP5s, four M16A4s, an M136, fifty M67 grenades, and one thousand rounds of ammunition for each weapon, except the Barrett – but plenty for it as well.”

After a moment, Miller said, “Okay, I don’t know about the M136, law rockets are probably beyond my supplier. Grenades I can do, but I can’t guarantee the M67 model. Pretty sure I can pick up the M16s and the MP5s. Not sure about the M4s. A Barrett, jeez. Which of you little girls plan on firing that momma?”

“Can you get it or not?”

“I can get you a fifty cal sniper rifle, but no guarantees on a M82 specifically.”

“That will be fine. If you can’t get the M4s, get a couple extra MP5s instead.”

“Will do. Umm, can you front me some cash for this?”

“Absolutely,” I said.

“It’ll take me two or three days,” he said.

“Have it by tomorrow evening.”

He sighed, “I’ll do my best.”

“I know you will, Tony.”

Anything else we would need we already had or could pick up at a sporting goods store.

The following evening, Tony came through on schedule. I let Butch know our situation and that we were prepared to move at his word. Seven hours later, Butch called back. He gave me an address and said, “Be there in two hours. Bring your gear.”

“We’ll be there,” I said.

We’d acquired two SUVs for this operation. I drove one and Kathleen drove the other.

We pulled up in front of an old warehouse and all got out of the car. Out of the shadows, Butch approached us. His face was painted black and he was in full battle gear.

“The target is two blocks north of here.”

He laid out a map. “I want Arlene here, with your sniper rifle. Krista, you are here, Kathleen here. The rest of you take positions here, here, and here. You are in a support role only. Except for Arlene, you will engage only if everything goes to shit. Arlene, you’re not the only sniper. We’re positioning Tom and Emmet here and here. We won’t be entering on your side, but if you see a target of opportunity, let us know. Do not fire unless you are cleared by me or one of my team, is that clear?”

“Yes, sir,” Arlene said.

“That goes for all of you. Your weapons are to be safed unless given orders by my team to engage. Clear?”

A chorus of quiet, “Yes, sirs.”

“Now, I was quite impressed with all of you in your training. I know you can handle this job. But, is each of you ready to kill?”

He looked each one of us in the eyes as we nodded. Not a single flinch. We would die or kill, whichever it took, to save Daniel.

Butch handed us headsets, saying, “You are to maintain radio silence until you hear me break it.”

We moved out under his orders.

We got into our positions and waited. Not much was happening from where I was. I had night-vision goggles but the Seals would be entering on the far side from where I was positioned.

Then I heard a quiet, “Section one, clear.”

A moment later, “Section two, clear.”

A noise, then, “Section three, clear. Two hostiles down.”

Silence for another minute. Then, “Section four, Mitch, you see them?”

“Got ‘em.”

“Standby.”

“Tom, are you set?”

“Set.”

“Go, Mitch.”

Three seconds passed, then a shot rang out. It was a fifty caliber, but not from Arlene’s side. Mitch must be one of the Seal snipers. Then we heard automatic rifle fire over the radio.

“Section five, I’ve got at least three hostiles here!”

“Arlene, that’s you!”

Arlene voice said, “I see two. Permission to fire?”

“Fire.”

Arlene’s rifle rang out.

“Shit.” That was Arlene. Another second and again her rifle spoke.

“Got one target. Taking the other.”

“Section six, target one found. He looks bad.”

Another shot.

“Got him, don’t see the third,” Arlene’s voice again.

“Grenade!”

Explosions over the radio.

“Section five, clear.”

“Section six, are you clear?”

“Section six, clear. Smith, get in here. Target one needs a medic.”

Silence for a couple minutes.

Then, “Alright, let’s clear out. Support team, you are released. Get out of here, Krista, I’ll contact you in a few hours.”

From the first voice on the radio to the end, the whole thing lasted less than six minutes.

Back at my apartment, we all gathered. We heard nothing until that afternoon, when Butch finally called.

“Krista here,” I said.

“Krista, he’ll be fine. Meet me at this address.” He gave me an address and hung up.

I put down the phone and looked at the girls. “Daniel’s safe.” There was a palpable sense of tension, long held, finally released.

“I want you all to get some sleep, I’m going to meet Butch. And you may come in out of the cold.”

Given permission to let loose the unnatural, iron hold they’d all had on their emotions, each girl was badly affected. Samantha immediately began sobbing hysterically. Kathleen sat glazed for awhile, then started whimpering and holding herself, rocking back and forth. Arlene and Emily curled on the floor into a fetal position and sobbed quietly. Ella just broke down in tears.

I couldn’t let go yet. I had to see to my master first.

The address Butch gave turned out to be a shopping center. I left my car in the lot and rode with him to another location.

“This is a safe house,” he said. “We’ll have to move him again soon but he should be alright here for at least another forty-eight hours.”

I walked in the small, two-story house and noticed little details. The purple flowers by the step, the oak coat rack just inside. A little piano along one wall. The grandfather clock, ticking away.

“Go on upstairs,” Butch said.

I climbed the wood stairs, noticing the steps that creaked. Straight across, I saw an open door with a man standing over a bed. By the bed was a drip bag. As I walked in the room, I saw him. I almost lost control right there. Daniel looked so bad. They’d tortured him, beat him.

As he opened his eyes and saw me, I knew that he should kill me for the time I wasted. I couldn’t deserve to serve this man whom I had failed so badly.

Then he smiled.