The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Growing Up With Beth

© Copyright 1999 by artie

This work may not be reposted or redistributed without the prior express written permission of the author.

A work of fiction, meant for adults. Read something else if you are not an adult, or are offended by stories with sexual content. Then again, if all you’re looking for is in-out, in-out, in-out, you should probably read something else. I welcome constructive comments. Enjoy.

Part 7—Jade Warrior

She dropped me off at the side of the school, near the library where study hall was held. I usually came in through the student parking lot. This way, I only walked about thirty feet from the street to the library door.

When I walked in, I saw one of the librarians talking to Mr. Benjamin, our vice principal. They saw me and walked over to me quickly.

“Did anyone see you coming in?” Mr. Benjamin asked, putting his hand on my back and leading me to the library offices.

“I don’t think so, I came in from the street, rather than the parking lot. What’s going on?”

“Good,” he said as we went inside one of the offices. The librarian closed the door.

Both of them looked at me. Something was going on. I didn’t like the feel of it. I took a deep breath. “What’s happening?”

He looked to the librarian. “See if she’s here yet. I don’t know how long we can stall.”

She nodded and left. He turned to me again. “Andy, Jackson wants you in his office. He’s hopping mad. We’re stalling until Mrs. Nguyen gets here—she’s usually in by now.”

“What’s it about?”

He smiled a little. “You talked to Haskell last Friday?”

I nodded.

“When our principal got into his office this morning, he found another waiver request on his desk—this one signed by all of your teachers, and quite a few other teachers as well. A copy was also faxed to the district offices.”

I took another breath. “Sounds like this is it, then. What’s he going to do?”

Benjamin is a big guy. He put a hand on my shoulder. “Andy, we don’t know. But remember, we’re behind you. We’ll be there. We don’t expect him to behave professionally, or even rationally, that’s for sure.”

The librarian stuck her head in the office. “She’s here. Let’s go.”

Benjamin led me out of the office and through the library. Sherry gave me a questioning look.

Calm and relaxed—calm and relaxed—that’s what I told myself as we walked into the administration office. It helped a little, but I could feel the tension in the place. Mrs. Nguyen gave me a tight smile. As we walked by her to the principal’s office, I saw her hand something to Mr. Benjamin.

The door to Jackson’s office was open. Calm and relaxed—calm and relaxed.

“Here he is, sir,” Benjamin said as we walked in the office. Jackson was sitting behind his desk, fuming.

“Finally,” he said. “Get out and close the door,” he told Benjamin.

I noticed that Mr. Benjamin didn’t close the door all the way.

“What the hell is this!” Jackson yelled at me. I turned to face him. He was waving a piece of paper in the air. “Well?” he demanded.

“I don’t know, sir,” I told him.

“Listen to me—I won’t be pressured, and I won’t be threatened. This is going to stop, and it’s going to stop right now. Do you understand me?”

“No sir, I don’t,” I told him in a clear voice. Part of me was terrified, but another part, the part that held Karen’s head on my shoulder, was strong and determined.

“That’s it!” he yelled, standing up. “You’re suspended until further notice!” He grabbed me by the arm and took me to the door. Mr. Benjamin and Mrs. Nguyen were standing outside the door. Mr. Benjamin was holding a dictation machine. About half a dozen staff and students were nearby. I recognized Colleen, one of our geek group, who worked mornings in the office.

“Benjamin,” the principal yelled, “This student is suspended until further notice. Escort him off the campus immediately!” He was still gripping my arm.

Mrs. Nguyen spoke up. “Mr. Jackson, what’s the reason for the suspension?”

He yelled, “He’s suspended because I said so!”

She said quite firmly, “District policy requires us to put the reasons for any suspension in writing.”

He flung me forward as he yelled. I hit the corner of a chair and fell down. “I run this school, and I say he’s suspended! Unless you want to be fired for insubordination like Haskell, do what you’re told!” I heard the door slam behind me.

I saw Mr. Benjamin walking toward me, and something inside me gave up. I started crying. Someone helped me up and to another office, Mrs. Nguyen’s, I think. My head was on my arms on the table, eyes closed as I cried. I felt a hand on my back. Mr. Benjamin said, “Andy, your guardian has been called—she’s on her way and should be here in a few minutes.”

I couldn’t look like this for Aunt Beth. I pulled myself up and wiped my face. Calm and relaxed—calm and relaxed. I touched my forehead and tried to control my breathing. It helped a little.

Both Mr. Benjamin and Mrs. Nguyen looked grim.

“What now?” I asked them.

They looked at each other. Mr. Benjamin spoke. “As far as we are concerned, you are definitely not suspended from school. We’ve called the district, and they’re sending people over.”

Mrs. Nguyen added, “We think it would be best if you went home today, though.”

I nodded. I started to speak, but nothing came out—I didn’t know where home was anymore. I closed my eyes and tried to breathe slowly and smoothly.

I thought I had it under control, but when Beth came into the office, I broke down again. She put an arm around me. Mr. Benjamin told her what had happened. They got Carl on the phone. They started describing things, and Carl asked if I could tell him what had been said, the best I remembered.

I looked up at Beth, then at Mr. Benjamin. He gave us a grim smile and said, “Why don’t we listen to the recording I made of the entire incident.” He held the dictation machine next to the speakerphone and played back the recording.

Beth’s hand on my back helped. I was listening to something that happened some time before. I was a different person now. What could I learn from this? I could hear the rage, and yet fear in Jackson’s voice. I was proud at the strength I heard my voice take on.

When the tape ended, they talked a bit more. Beth was taking me to her place. Carl was going to raise hell, especially when he heard Jackson had grabbed me by the arm and shoved me across the room.

After the phone call, they left the room, leaving Beth and I. She held me, and I clutched her. She rocked me. Whether she said something or not, I don’t know. I straightened up enough so we could walk out of the office and to her car with some sense of decorum.

We rode to her place in silence. Inside, we went to her bedroom. We collapsed on the bed, holding each other and crying. She got her blouse and bra undone and held me to her. She held me and rocked me.

It was hard, but we worked through it. We figured out why I broke down—Mr. Benjamin coming up to me while I was on the floor brought back memories of my dad beating me. I knew Mr. Benjamin wouldn’t hurt me—I knew he was on my side in this thing, yet still that inner fear took over.

I opened my eyes. I was on my back in her bedroom again, on her bed, where I wanted to be. I expected a rush of feelings, braced myself for a rush of feelings—nothing. I wiped my eyes and looked over to Beth, sitting up on the bed. I reached out a hand for her. “Thank you again,” I said softly. She moved closer, taking a ragged breath. I could tell this had been hard on her as well.

I lifted my other hand, and reached out and touched a nipple. That touch was electric, for both of us. She smiled. I smiled and took a deep breath. She leaned forward. I took her nipple in my mouth, feeling her hand go around the back of my head. I moaned and let go.

We were naked, rolling around on the bed together. Oh, how I’d missed her! I kissed, felt, and touched her from one end to the other. How good it felt to have her legs squeezing my head again as I devoured her! Then I was on my back, she was on top of me, and I couldn’t stop looking into her eyes as she spoke to part of me from far away, and her hands danced over me.

I came just after she did, came with a nipple in my mouth, with her holding me as I held her. From there I relaxed into that calm, soothing, healing place with her.

We woke to the phone ringing. She rolled up to get it.

“What?” she called out. Then she laughed—a very cynical laugh. “Okay Carl, we’ll see you at two then. Bye.”

She turned to me and sighed, with a smile. “Let’s shower. I haven’t had a good shower in too long.”

I agreed, and let her know as she helped me up. I adored her again in the shower. I hadn’t realized how much I enjoyed having her wash me—how comforting that was, as well as stimulating.

We made love again on the bathroom floor, Beth on her back, and me pounding into her, teasing her nub with my thumb. We finally managed to get dressed.

“What now?” I asked as we went back into the living room.

She gave me a hug. “This,” she said, squeezing me a little more. “Then we’ll get lunch. We’re meeting Carl at his office at two. I expect the fireworks should be over by then.”

“Fireworks?” I asked.

She gave me that low laugh again. “Yes. We’ll find out after lunch.”

I seemed to have an appetite again. It must have been the lovemaking. Beth wasn’t talking about what she’d heard from Carl. We had time after lunch, and dropped by her office. One of the doctors looked me over—A bruise was forming on my right shin where I’d been pushed into the chair.

In the break room, Beth had some papers set out.

“Okay, Andy. You need to sign here, and here, where the tags are,” she told me, pointing to little yellow labels which said, “Sign here.” I looked over the paperwork—it was for Stanford! I looked up at her.

She nodded. “You’re accepting at Stanford, if that’s what you want. Is it?”

I nodded. “But how?”

She smiled. “Don’t worry about that. We’re expecting scholarship confirmation later this week, but even without that, your first two years at least are paid for, completely.”

I didn’t know what to say. I picked up the pen and signed the forms. I noticed they wanted a sizable deposit. I looked up to Beth.

“Andy, it’s taken care of.”

I smiled. “What about Karen?”

I thought she was going to cry. Why? She laughed softly, then told me, “We should hear this week on her as well—we’re expecting full coverage for her at Cal State.”

I held her hand. I looked over things in more detail. Where they wanted me to declare a major, I put down psychology and math. I wanted to understand the animal inside us a lot better.

That completed, Beth folded things up, attaching what looked to be a bank check, and stuffed two envelopes. “Okay, post office with these things, and then Carl’s office,” she told me.

We waited in the post office queue, then went to Carl’s, arriving right about two.

He ushered us into a corner office littered with files and paper.

“The people from the district are a bit delayed—they won’t be here until about two thirty. Seems they have an insurrection on their hands.”

“What happened?” I asked him.

He smiled. “It seems word got out fairly quickly that Mr. Jackson sent you off, and tried to fire Mr. Haskell. Within an hour, most of the seniors walked. I guess it took the jocks a bit longer to figure it out, but most of them split by lunchtime. Oh, and the teacher’s union is out to lynch Jackson for the way he treated Haskell.”

Beth and I held hands. “What’s next?” I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders. “We wait for the district people. I made a few other calls, such as to Doctor Chan, to get our ducks lined up in a row if they don’t deliver. We’ll know this afternoon. Coffee?”

I shook my head a bit and laughed. Beth had coffee and I had a coke. Someone brought Carl a folder. He looked over a document and nodded, requesting four copies.

Mr. Benjamin, Mrs. Nguyen, and two guys in suits showed up around two thirty. We moved to a conference room. The suits looked harassed—that made me feel better. Benjamin and Nguyen were smiling.

Mr. Benjamin spoke first. “First of all, I think we can resolve things to everyone’s satisfaction today. Mr. Jackson is on administrative leave. I’m acting principal for the school. I’m happy to inform you that my very first action as acting principal was to forward your residence waiver request to the district. I’ve been told it has been granted, and written confirmation will be faxed to you by the end of the day.” He looked to one of the suits as he said, “Right?” The suit nodded.

I interrupted. “How about Coach Haskell?”

Mrs. Nguyen beamed. Benjamin said, “I’ve spoken with him. He’s a valuable member of the faculty, and I hope he’s with us for many years to come. Andy? Counsel? What else.”

Carl gave them a cold smile as he opened up a folder, handing copies of something to the two suits, and to Mr. Benjamin.

“We have the small matter of the assault on my client,” he said. “In addition to everything else, my client was publicly humiliated and assaulted by Mr. Jackson, acting in his capacity as school principal. This action resulted in physical and emotional distress to my client. We’re ready to file a civil suit, and to press criminal charges. Unless, of course, the district is interested in seriously discussing settlement, and keeping this out of the courts, and the press.”

I sat back. This was big stakes poker. Would I file a police report? I nodded. “I’m ready to talk to the police,” I told Carl. I looked to Mr. Benjamin and Mrs. Nguyen—I was putting them on the spot. But they just smiled.

Mr. Benjamin said, “I understand, counsel. That’s why we wanted our colleagues from the district office to join us. Since Mrs. Nguyen and I were witnesses, I don’t think it’s proper we be involved in settlement discussions.” Both the suits had sour looks. I was feeling better.

Carl nodded. “I agree. I think this is something the three of us can discuss. Shall we adjourn for, say, ten minutes, then continue?” Carl looked at his watch. “We still have an hour.”

The suit who so far had remained quiet said, “Counsel, can we have your assurance that this will be kept confidential?” He looked to me as he spoke. The other suit was flipping through the thing Carl had given him.

I looked at Carl, and nodded. “I think you know I don’t say anything without checking with Carl first,” I told them. “If asked, I’ll say Carl is handling things, and refer any and all questions to him. Is that satisfactory?”

The suit sighed a bit, and nodded. “Acceptable. Please, let’s try to settle this quietly.”

The way he said that bugged me. “I won’t participate in a whitewash,” I told them. Everyone but the suits smiled.

Carl stood up. “Okay then, I’ll speak briefly with my client and rejoin you in ten minutes. Feel free to use the phone. Dial 9 to get an outside line.” Carl motioned to us. Beth and I stood up, as did Mr. Benjamin, and Mrs. Nguyen. We walked into the hall, and Carl closed the door behind us. I hugged Beth. Then I hugged Mrs. Nguyen, and Mr. Benjamin. Carl got a hug too.

“I’m sorry if I put you two on the spot,” I told Mrs. Nguyen, and Mr. Benjamin.

“Andy, don’t be,” Mrs. Nguyen told me.

Mr. Benjamin looked at her momentarily, then turned to me. “Andy, you could help us by calling your friends tonight and letting them know you’ll be at school tomorrow.”

Carl said, “I want that fax first.”

I looked to Beth, then to Carl. “Carl, I think that’s a reasonable thing for me to do. I’d like to do it. I’ll tell people that I’ll be back, I’m not suspended, and everything else is being handled by an attorney, so I can’t talk about it. Okay?”

Carl looked at the group, then nodded. “Okay, Andy. Do it.”

Benjamin and Nguyen shook hands with Carl and Beth, and took off to deal with crisis recovery.

In Carl’s office, he told me, “Andy, as far as I’m concerned, these bastards are paying for your college education. This whole mess was avoidable.”

Beth said, “I agree. They’ve hurt a lot of people.”

I sighed. “Okay, but let’s try and not hurt too many more.”

He nodded. “Okay. This is going to be fun. Let’s see how far we can get in an hour.”

“What’s magic about an hour?” I asked.

Carl gave us his scary smile again. “That’s when I make the decision to call my associate at the courthouse and tell him not to file suit.”

I nodded. “Okay. Let me know what happens.”

“Sure, where will you be?”

That stunned me. Where would I be? I looked at Beth. I shook my head. Still looking at Beth, I said, “I’ll be at Karen’s house. I’m not sure how to explain this. I’m not sure myself.”

Beth nodded. I didn’t take my eyes off her. I heard Carl say, “Andy, you’re a good man. We’ll see how much of your grad school they’ll cover.”

Beth and I left the office. Sitting in her car, I held her hands. “Beth,” I told her, “I want to move back with you, oh I do.”

She nodded. “I know, Andy. I want you back as well.”

“But I don’t want to hurt Karen,” I whispered.

She nodded again. I could see tears forming in her eyes, and feel them in mine. She took a breath, and put the key in the car. “That’s the problem, Andy—we care about who gets hurt.”

As we drove, I watched the wheels turning in her head. I still had a large numb spot inside me. I was going to call that doctor. I saw Beth smile. She’d decided something. We turned left at the next light.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Start calling people,” she told me. “We’re going to get a bottle of champagne so we can celebrate, and a good piece of meat for dinner. Feel like cooking?”

I sighed. “Sure. Karen doesn’t have any tests tomorrow. I’ve got Calculus tomorrow afternoon, but it won’t be a problem.”

“If I’m not prying, Andy, are you and Karen lovers?”

I sighed again. “Yes, or we were. Beth, this is so weird. If it had happened under different circumstances.... I don’t know. It feels like something that was meant to not be, if you get what I mean, and I’m not sure I do.”

She nodded. “Andy, I do understand. Some times that happens. I know you’ll do your best. What have you....”

I anticipated her question. “I haven’t hypnotized her. That would have been the kiss of death for our relationship.”

Beth smiled. “I’ll agree with that. Okay, enough prying for now. Make some calls. Want to use my phone?”

I dug into my bag for mine, and my list of phone numbers. “Nope, got mine. And if the bastard had been looking for an excuse to suspend me, we’re not supposed to have phones on campus.”

Beth sighed.

I called and left a message on Donna’s answering machine. I called and left a message on Sherry’s machine. Then I called Peter’s number. He answered.

“Hey, Peter, this is Andy.”

“Andy! Hey, Andy is on the phone. Andy, what the hell is happening?”

“Peter, I just left a meeting with my attorney and some people from the school district. I’m not suspended, and I’ll be back at school tomorrow morning. Other than that, everything else is being handled by the attorney, and I can’t say anything yet.”

“Andy, that’s great. There are about a dozen of us here. We heard that Jackson is out, and Haskell is staying.”

That put me on uncertain ground. I decided to play conservative. “Peter, I can’t say anything, but I think everyone is going to be happy.”

I heard him shout out, “Andy says it’s true!” There were cheers from the crowd in the background.

“Peter! Peter!” I yelled until he answered. “Peter, I did not tell you that was true. I did nothing of the sort. I want you to tell people that. Don’t go spreading rumors—please. Enough people have been hurt in this mess already. Do not spread rumors! I’ll be back at school tomorrow. Okay?”

Peter said, “Okay, Andy. Sorry about that. I’ll explain it to the gang. I’ll do my best. Who else have you talked to?”

“You were third on my list. I left messages for Donna and Sherry. Rachel is next on the list.”

“Well, they’re all here, so you don’t need to call them. Great news, dude. See you tomorrow!”

“Yeah—bye Peter.” I hung up the phone.

Beth said, “Damage control already?”

I nodded. “Peter practically had me saying Jackson was out. I think he’ll explain it to people.”

I called Betty’s house while Beth was in the store. I got her mom.

“Doctor Hsu, this is Andy. Is Betty home?”

“No, Andrew, she’s still at music lessons. How are you? We heard about the trouble at school today. What can you tell us?”

“Thank you for your concern. We met with district people a while ago. I’m not suspended, and will be back at school tomorrow. My attorney is handling the remainder, and I can’t comment. I think you understand.”

“That’s wonderful news, Andrew. But how are you doing? Do you have someone to talk to? I understand Doctor Carmichael is out of town this week. You should talk to someone.”

“Thank you, Doctor Hsu, she gave me the name of someone to call.”

“My husband will be pleased. Keep us updated—I’ll inform Betty when she arrives home.”

“Thank you, Doctor—thank you for all your help, and thank Betty for her help and friendship as well. Bye.” I called and left a message for David. I put the phone in my bag as Beth was getting back in the car.

“That all? Nobody else?” Beth asked.

“That’s about it. It’s a small circle.”

She smiled as she started the car. “But they’re with you, Andy. Who do you think started the revolt?”

I shook my head as I thought about that. “Once word got to Peter, he’d be there. Sherry and Donna certainly. I’ve got more friends than I thought.”

We parked in the driveway. Karen was studying at the table. She was surprised to see Beth.

I pulled Karen out of her chair and hugged her. Beth walked into the kitchen, carrying two bags.

“What’s going on?” Karen asked.

I held her hands and looked into her eyes. “A lot happened today. It isn’t over yet, either. Come on.” I led her into the kitchen. She didn’t have proper champagne flutes, so we used regular wine glasses. Beth opened and poured. She handed us glasses. She was beaming.

If she was so happy, why did I feel so mixed up? “Why are these moments so bittersweet?” I asked them both. Beth nodded.

I raised my glass. “Here’s to life. A rose wouldn’t be a rose without the thorns.”

We drank. It was good.

Karen asked, “What happened?”

I took her hand and sat her at the kitchen table. I sat down as well, and nodded to Beth and one of the other chairs. I started to speak.

Beth held up her hand. “Don’t say anything yet. I need to make a call.” She grabbed her phone from her bag and pressed buttons. After a bit she said, “Roger, this is Beth calling. Give me good news or I’m going to burn your house down. ... No, Andy is fine—the rest. ... Really! Oh, that’s great! ... You’re sure? ... Okay, Roger, thanks. I’ll call in the morning.”

She smiled and sat down. She raised her glass and took a sip. “Continue,” she said.

I shook my head. “Where do I start? We mailed off my registration stuff to Stanford. I was suspended from school, thrown across a room, and unsuspended. I’m probably getting the residence waiver from the school district. And if this news is so good, why do I feel the way I do about it?” I held Karen’s hand as things sunk in.

“When are you moving?” Karen asked, her voice soft and full of emotion.

“Not until the weekend, at the very earliest,” I told her. She nodded.

Beth broke in. “I’ll add some to what Andy had to say. Karen, I just confirmed that we’ve lined up scholarships for you—not loans, but scholarships, for up to four years, covering tuition, books, and fees.”

I squeezed Karen’s hand. “That’s great!” I told her. She smiled and closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened her eyes again, I could see the determination and fire again.

“That’s the look I like,” I whispered, “That’s the Karen with determination and drive.”

She nodded and took a sip from her glass. “So this does have a silver lining after all.”

Beth said, “It had better.”

We drank another silent toast. Then Beth said, “Andy, you need to get to work if we’re going to eat tonight!”

I groaned and stood up. Karen gave me a hug, and Beth joined in.

We had a very nice chateaubriand. I broiled it, and threw together a sort of alfredo sauce with lots of garlic for pasta. Karen put together a salad. While we were doing that, Beth made more phone calls, and then filled us in on Karen’s scholarships. They were good—no strings attached. She was excited, and agreed to sit down with Beth later in the week to complete the paperwork and the transfer application to Cal State.

We’d just about cleaned up after dinner when there was a knock at the door. I answered it. Carl was standing on the step, collar open and tie loose, smiling. I invited him in, and back to the kitchen. I introduced him to Karen. He reminded me they’d met—I remembered—it had been at the Chan’s house, what seemed like an eternity ago.

He sat down, opened the folder he was carrying, and handed me a piece of paper. He gave one to Beth as well.

“Andy, the district has waived the residency requirement for you. That part is over.”

Beth asked, “And the other part?”

Carl gave us his carnivorous smile. “We didn’t file suit today. We might tomorrow, but I doubt it. They’ve agreed on the financial part of the settlement, and gotten approval on that. We’re dancing around ancillary items. I wanted to check with you, Andy, on some of those.”

“Okay,” I asked, “such as?”

“Does it make any difference to you if he’s fired, or allowed to resign?”

I shook my head. “I don’t want him doing the same thing somewhere else. I don’t want him hurting others.”

Carl scribbled on his notepad. He looked up and asked, “But do you have a preference?”

I looked to Beth. “I know I’m supposed to have compassion. I’d like to see the bastard flogged and ridden out of town on a rail, but I guess that’s out of the question.”

Carl chuckled and said, “Let me get that down....”

He looked at me, smiling, when he finished writing. “Well?”

I had to smile a little. “I guess I don’t—whatever is to our tactical advantage.”

He nodded. “Good answer. Publication of the settlement?”

I shook my head. “No opinion.”

“Confidentiality on what happened?”

I snorted. “A dozen or more people saw and heard it happen. I could agree not to tell tales, but if someone asks me if something is true or not, I’m not sure. I guess I could just smile and tell them to ask the district.”

He nodded again. “Those are the major ones. Andy, we’re talking about a good chunk of money here. I’m going to talk to your guardian about handling it, recommending we put it into a trust to pay for your education. Beth?”

She nodded. “Sounds like the right approach. I want my financial planner involved.”

Carl said, “Sounds good to me.” He gathered things and stood up. “Well, no rest for the wicked. I’m meeting with them again starting at nine tomorrow morning. I’ll update you tomorrow. Oh, Andy—when you asked about Mr. Haskell this afternoon, that really drove a lot of things home. Did you know? ....” He sighed and sat down again.

He shook his head. “I think the district has had it with Jackson. Evidently the first thing he did this morning was accuse you, Andy, of being abusive and threatening. He went on like that for quite a while. Benjamin and Nguyen finally got the district people off to the side and played the tape for them. But the bastard kept to his story, until they actually played the tape in front of him, and then he told them it didn’t catch all that happened! And the teacher’s union wants his hide as well. I think the district wants to be rid of this guy, and fast.”

“How long do I have to go to the cops?” I asked.

He smiled. “Andy, that’s one they’ve asked for, and I’ve categorically denied—they wanted assurances you won’t go to the police. I told them any such agreement was against public policy, and against your interests. You’ve got a year.” He looked around the room and took a breath. “That feels better. I think I can go now.”

He stood up, and after shaking hands and getting hugs, we saw him to the door.

Standing there, Beth said, “I should be going as well. Andy, you have a test tomorrow. Call me tomorrow night.”

“Thank you for everything,” I told her. We hugged.

Karen stepped up. “Thank you, Aunt Beth,” she said, and hugged her as well.

That left three of us standing there teary-eyed. Beth left.

Karen and I moved to the couch. She started sitting apart from me, but I pulled her closer, and put her head on my shoulder. I held her, and we both sighed.

“You know,” I told her, “this morning I thought about holding you and protecting you, and found the strength to stand my ground. I couldn’t have done that without you.” I heard a sniffle. I held her.

We got ready for bed. We crawled in together, and held each other.

“When do you want to move, Andy?” she asked me.

I closed my eyes, feeling her warmth next to me. “Before the end of the year. Karen, I’m so sorry—this is so screwed up. Any man in his right mind would be delirious to be living with you. I should be thrilled at being able to move back with Beth. But I’m not, or part of me isn’t. I know ‘fair’ doesn’t have anything to do with it, but we’ve been given a shitty deal.”

She sighed. “Andy, I know how you feel. Part of me wants you to stay, and part of me wants you to go. Part of me wishes this never happened, and part of me wishes it would never end. I can’t fit in that shell anymore, either. Yet I feel so alone....”

I held her closer. “I’ll hold you. You hold me. I don’t know if that’s the answer, but I don’t have a better one right now.”

She sighed and we snuggled up closer.

When the alarm went off in the morning and I whacked it, I was surprised to turn back to her, seeing her pulling up her nightshirt. She smiled and pulled me to a nipple. I latched on, and she held me. I held her and let go.

“Let’s get up. You need to get to school.”

Oh, but it was so nice where I was. I kissed her once more and gave her a squeeze. We sat up. “Thank you—that’s incredible.”

She smiled. “I like it too. Going to shower this morning?”

I shrugged and got up. I’d been let out of physical education until the end of the semester. I guess I should shower more often since I wasn’t doing it at school.

We had breakfast when I got out. She dropped me at school, giving me a kiss, and telling me to do well on my test.

I went in the same way I’d gone the day before. I stopped at the school gate, feeling the apprehension. I took a few breaths. It was over, I hoped—and I’d won. I was here. Victory, but at what price?

What was I expecting when I entered the library? Cheering crowds? I laughed a little to myself. I nodded to the librarian, who smiled. I sat down next to Sherry. She threw her arms around me, and gave me a very good kiss, pressing her body against me. One of the study hall monitors cleared her throat; two younger girls at the table giggled. I sighed and smiled.

“Well?” Sherry whispered to me.

I pulled out the district letter and showed it to her. She smiled.

“And? What now?” she asked.

I put the letter away and pulled out my math notes. She groaned and let her head down on the table. I put a hand on the back of her neck and stroked her gently. Under the table, her hand found my legs and slinked up to my groin.

As we walked into math, Mr. Ellis said, “Welcome back, Mr. Wilson. It’s good to see you today.”

I walked over to him and held out my hand. We shook. “Thank you, sir. It’s good to be here. Thank you for your support.”

After class, a couple of the jocks clapped me on the back. I hugged Betty.

Walking down the hall, she said, “My father says that Jackson is history and you’re rich.”

I shook my head. “Betty, Jackson did it to himself. Any money I get goes to education. Stanford is expensive—we sent off the registration stuff yesterday—I’ve accepted.”

She gave me another hug. “That’s great!”

Mrs. Murray was also happy to see me. I wasn’t sure how to thank her. She gave me a warm hug.

I sought out Coach Haskell during the period I’d normally have P.E. I found him in the Administration office. It was strange, walking in there again. It was like walking on to the set of a bad movie. Something nasty had happened there, but that was a long time ago. I saw him and walked over.

He held out his hand and I shook it. “How are you doing, Andy?” he asked.

“Okay, Coach, thanks to you. Thanks so much for sticking your neck out for me.”

He smiled. “Thanks for supporting me.”

Mrs. Nguyen came out of her office. We talked for a bit. Mr. Benjamin was at district headquarters that morning. I nodded. Some of the other staff thanked me for what I’d done.

At lunch, I got big hugs from Donna, and a bunch of the other cheerleaders, most of whom I didn’t know. Peter and some of the student government gang came by and filled me in on details.

Colleen had raised the initial alarm, telling Peter, Rachel, Sherry, and Donna. From there it spread like wildfire. Evidently there had been quite a gathering in the quad, with a call to march on the administration building. Then Donna, Sherry, and Betty told people that wasn’t what I’d do. Confrontation wasn’t the answer. So they left, gathering others as they went.

After I’d talked to Peter yesterday afternoon, more calls went out, and people came back to school to see what was going to happen.

They were now expecting me to say something.

“This has been a bad deal for so many people—so may people have been hurt,” I told them. “No rumors now, no stories—give everyone a chance to heal. I’m here until I graduate, and I can move back with my aunt. That’s what we wanted. Now, life goes on.”

“What about Jackson?” a girl called out.

I sighed. “One of the things I’ve read is the rule of threes—whatever you do comes back to you three times. I know now how true that is. I want to help people—I’ve helped Sherry, and Donna. Look how many came to help me when I needed it.” I smiled—a Carl carnivorous smile. “Look at what Jackson did. Look what he got. It comes back to you three times.”

There were a few other “But what about...” questions.

“Listen,” I told them, “if you know me, you know when I say I’m not going to talk, I’m not going to talk. Some of this shit is still settling, so I don’t know the answers. Other things, I’ve been asked not to comment. I respect those requests. That shit is over—let’s move on. I’ve got a test this afternoon.”

I got more hugs as the crowd broke up, including a good one from Colleen. I held her and thanked her for coming to my rescue.

Some things don’t change. The fat fool was oblivious, fixated on Friday’s test.

Rachel leaned over and whispered something in my ear as she ran a hand up my neck. The world went soft. I wanted her. I wanted her nipples, and to feel her weight on top of me. I blinked myself awake and looked over to her. She smiled.

Rachel tried to get me to talk more as we went to the car. In the parking lot, standing next to the car, I put my books on top and turned to her. I grabbed her and kissed her. She held me, pressed against me.

“Rachel, that’s all I’m saying on the matter, okay?” I told her when we came up for air.

“Will I keep getting that answer?” she said lustily.

I laughed. “You won’t even get that answer if you keep it up.” She pouted for a moment, at least until I put my hands on her breasts and caressed them.

In the parking lot at City, I gave Donna a quick kiss. “Thank you for all your help,” I told her. She laughed. “Andy, I should thank you for last night. Do well on your test.”

I laughed as I got out. She must be getting Greg well trained. In adversity we find lust? Karen was nowhere to be seen.

The test was pretty straightforward. I had to work—it wasn’t easy. I had the time to double-check things, fixing one place where I’d inverted a sign. I handed it in, about the fourth or fifth person to finish, and shook my instructor’s hand.

I sat on the bench waiting. After a while, I figured I was on my own. I needed to learn to drive; that’s all there was to it. I needed to talk to Beth about that.

“I’ll bet that was easy for you.”

I turned to see a gal from our math class standing beside me. I smiled. “It wasn’t easy, but it was okay. How do you think you did?” What was her name? Lori? She had a pretty smile, long legs, straight blonde hair, and a small chest. I almost laughed—the way I categorized women.

“Oh, I passed. I’m hoping for a ‘B’ this semester.”

“I could help you next semester if you’d like,” I volunteered.

She brightened up. “Really? That might be fun. Who are you waiting for? I usually see someone pick you up in the afternoon.”

I nodded. “Yeah, and it looks like someone’s wires got crossed today.”

“I can give you a lift. Where do you live?”

“That would be great. I’m down near Belmont Shore, about three miles from here. I wasn’t looking forward to walking.”

“No way! I’m in lot ‘E’—I’ll take you.”

Her name was Lori, and she was surprised to learn I was a high school student. She asked me how old I was. I told her.

She laughed and shook her head. “I thought you were older—you sure look like you know what you’re doing.”

I gave her a puzzled look.

“Oh, I’ve seen you in the parking lot before math, steaming up the windows of that Lexus. You two put on a pretty hot show for a while. You broke up?”

That was an optimistic question. Was she interested in me? This was wild. “Sort of. She went back to her old boyfriend, and I found someone new.”

Lori sighed at that. I didn’t laugh. “Oh, another high schooler?” she asked.

I chuckled at the way she said that. “No, I have French at City in the morning. Karen is in my French class. I prefer older women.”

That got me a very interesting look. We pulled in front of the house. I thanked her for the ride, and wished her a happy holiday. She made sure I was taking the same section in math next semester. I told her again I’d be happy to help. She pulled me over for a brief kiss, and wished me a happy holiday. We both parted with smiles on our faces.

I walked up to the house. Lights were on inside, and I saw motion, apparently in the kitchen. Tuesday, three weeks before Christmas—I was through at City until next semester, and Friday was the last day at the high school. Karen had finals Wednesday and Thursday morning.

I wiped my feet on the mat and opened the door. I felt strong, but brittle—a warrior made of jade, the green of my eyes.

Dinner smelled good. I set my things down and walked into the kitchen. Karen was cutting up broccoli. “Oh hi. How was your test?”

I smiled and hugged her. Is this what domestic life is about? Little things like hugs?

“It went okay. One of the people from class gave me a lift home.”

She frowned. “Oh! Was I supposed to get you? I’m sorry! You should have called.”

I held her. “That’s okay. I’ll get rides home the rest of the week. How was your day?”

She gave me a strange look. “I got a message from my dad. He wanted to be sure the sheets on the big bed were clean and the room cleaned—he’s bringing someone with him. He sounded almost giddy.”

I nodded. “When’s the wedding?”

She frowned a little more. “Oh Andy, that’s what I thought—I’m happy for him, but I’m worried, too. I’ve never met this person. What happens to me?”

I held her. “We’ll find out on Friday. Until then, you have two tests to take. Right?”

She nodded. “We’re having a big dinner Friday night. Can you help cook?”

I held her head to my shoulder. “Of course. I’m off after physics on Friday, and can do some on Thursday as well. Should we invite Beth, and some champagne flutes?”

She chuckled a little, but didn’t move from where I was holding her. “I was thinking about that. Dad’s never met her. I’d like to have her here, if that’s okay with you.”

“Sure. Now, what can I do to help?”

She sighed. “You’re doing it right now.”

We had visitors a little after seven. Beth and a guy named Roger, the one who had been working on scholarships, arrived first. I did dishes in the kitchen while they sat with Karen, I guess going over her stuff.

Carl arrived a little while later. Since Beth, Roger, and Karen were still at it in the living room, the two of us went into the kitchen and sat at the small table.

Carl smiled. “Andy, it’s done. We get your signature, and Beth’s tomorrow morning, and file with the court. Jackson is out.”

“And Haskell?” I asked.

Carl shook his head. “Andy, Haskell is fine. If Jackson doesn’t run as fast as he can, the teacher’s union will crucify him. They’ve filed plenty of grievances against Jackson in the last few years.”

“Okay, what next?”

“We get together at my office in the morning to sign. Then we file the lawsuit and the settlement with the court—oh, it’s filed under seal, so it’s confidential. We’ve worked out the financial details. You...”

I held up my hand. “Carl, I’m not sure how much I want to know about those.”

He laughed a little. “Andy, the money is going into what’s called a trust. Beth holds the purse strings. You’ll essentially be on an allowance until you’re twenty-five. You should still take full advantage of scholarships, though.”

I nodded. “What about confidentiality?”

He gave me that carnivorous smile. “We worked out a nice compromise. The story is that Jackson is being allowed to resign to settle litigation. That’s what the district will tell anyone checking on Jackson. That’s what you can say if asked.”

“And if someone wants more details?”

He shrugged. “The parties agreed to keep the details confidential. Jackson, of course, is free to waive that so the details can be made available to concerned parties. What are you going to do when people ask you about it?”

It was my turn to smile and shrug. “I tell them that I’ve agreed to keep the details of the incident and settlement confidential. I could tell folks to talk to one of the dozen or so other people who saw and heard the whole thing, but I probably won’t.”

He nodded. “Don’t get cute. We’re going the route of filing the suit and settlement with the court so we can haul Jackson up on contempt when he lies about it—which everyone expects he will. We want to be perfectly clean—got it?”

I nodded. “No funny business. We’ll be watching him?”

He shook his head. “We won’t, but the teacher’s union will be. They still want blood.”

Beth came into the room, stretching.

Carl said, “Beth, Andy wants to sign at school tomorrow. That has a poetic ring to it.”

She smiled and nodded. “Sure. What time?”

They looked to me. “Eleven? I’ve got that period off.”

Carl and Beth nodded. Carl said, “I’ll set it up. Unless you hear otherwise, we’ll meet in the admin office at eleven.” He looked to Beth. “All done?”

She nodded. “Should be. Roger does good work. Andy, we don’t have things nailed down for you just yet, but one way or the other, your education is paid for.”

“Thanks so much,” I told her, “Something else I can’t possibly thank you enough for.”

Karen came into the room and gave Beth a hug. “You can say that again,” she said.

Roger came in looking for water glasses. I got one for him. He reiterated what Beth told me—they were expecting scholarships for me, but things weren’t certain yet. With one more round of thanks, we saw everyone out.

“Oh shit, I didn’t ask Beth about Friday!” I said just after we heard the last car drive off.

Karen said, “Don’t worry—I did. She’ll be here, and bring champagne and glasses. She suggested you do the beef burgundy recipe.”

I nodded as I turned to her. “That’s one of my favorites as well. How are you? What can I do for you?”

She had a pained expression, and she shook her head slightly as we looked at each other.

“Andy, if we hadn’t met, how much of this wouldn’t have happened? What a roller coaster!”

I nodded. “Would you like me to do your feet again tonight?”

She sighed and her eyes closed. “Oh, that would be great. Let’s get ready for tomorrow first.”

As we packed up, she told me her test was just before lunch, and she was going to spend the afternoon in one last cram session with her friends for the test on Thursday, so she wouldn’t be home until six. I told her I could get a ride.

We cleaned up, and I started massaging her feet again. It would be so easy to tell her to relax, to start her down a progressive relaxation path.... After a while, she giggled a little.

“What is it?” I asked her.

“Daddy called me ‘baby bird.’ He hasn’t called me that in a long time.”

I went with it, keeping up the slow action on her feet. “That’s great. Does that make you happy?”

“Oh yes.”

I went with intuition. “How old do you feel when he calls you baby bird?”

She sighed a bit. “Eight or so.”

Her voice sounded a little different—younger. This was wild. “And when you look at your daddy, as that eight year old, and he’s calling you his baby bird, how does he look?”

Another sigh, and she said, “Oh he’s so happy! He’s smiling and laughing.”

“And you can be happy too—so happy and relaxed, and you can be so relaxed now, and drift off to sleep.” I kept working gently on her feet for a few minutes, then tucked her in and crawled in next to her. She rolled over and put her head on my shoulder. I held her. The warm protective feeling I had in my center almost overcame the tears trying to get out.

Driving to school the next morning, she squeezed my hand and said, “Last night while you were doing my feet, that felt almost like something with Emily, thinking of my daddy.”

“Is that good or bad?” I asked her.

She sighed. “Last night was good. I can tell now, he’s really happy. I’m glad about that. It’s the uncertainty that bugs me.”

I put a hand on her shoulder. “Concentrate on your tests. He’s happy. One thing we should have learned from this, things work out for the better.”

She shook her head. “But do we have to go through such shit to get there?”

I didn’t have an answer to that.

Classes were clearly winding down. Even though the semester extended into the first week and a half of the next year, things ended before Christmas. The only interesting thing was in math, where Ellis called us up one by one and pointed to his grade book to show us what we’d be getting. As usual, he called us up in order, with Betty and I first. Sherry was getting an “A—” in the class. Even though Ellis’ finger was pointing to my grade, I pointed at hers. He looked at me and smiled, and told me quietly he thought it would go up the next semester.

When he called Sherry up, she gave him a big hug. She walked back past her seat to mine, leaned over, and gave me a quick kiss. Then she returned to her seat.

After English, I walked to the administration office. People seemed happier there today. One of the secretaries showed me into the principal’s office. Carl, Beth, Mr. Benjamin, and a suit I’d not seen before were there. Carl showed me where to sign, and I did, on three copies.

The suit asked me if I wanted to read it. I told him Carl had explained it to me, and there were some details I didn’t want to know.

He got huffy and asked if I understood the confidential nature of the settlement. I told him I did.

“And what are you going to tell people who ask you about it?” he asked in a tone I didn’t like.

“I’ll tell them the settlement is confidential.”

“And when they keep asking?”

“My friends know when I say something like that, I’m not going to tell them anything. They quit asking.”

“And what are you going to tell people when they ask about the incident?”

I did not like this guy’s attitude. I gave Carl a sideways glance. “I’m required to keep those details confidential. They’ll just have to find one of the dozen other people who were there and ask them.”

I looked the guy in the eye. He looked as if he had a bad taste in his mouth. Well, if he did, it came from inside him, that’s for sure.

“Too many people have been hurt going through this,” I told him. “I don’t want anyone else hurt. That’s why I tell people I don’t want rumors and stories—put an end to that and move on. And I find people respond much better when you treat them as adults.”

He opened his mouth, and closed it again. He gathered up papers, leaving two sets with Carl. Without looking at us, he thanked us for our help in resolving this matter, and started to leave the room. I was a bit in front of him. I stepped solidly in front of him, blocking his path. He looked up at me, giving me a look of—I’m not sure what. Fear? Anger?

I extended my hand to him. “Thank you. I appreciate you coming here this morning,” I told him. He smiled a bit and shook my hand. He left.

I looked back at the group. We all hoped and agreed it was over. Benjamin started asking me about what I was doing at City, how classes had gone. I told him I expected an “A” in each class. He asked how many courses I’d taken at City so far. I told him two per semester last year, three over the summer and two this semester. Were they one, two or three unit classes? I told him they were all three unit classes. I laughed a bit and told him there was sort of a contest among some of us to see who could rack up the most units, and Rachel was leading—she’d taken four classes during the summer.

We shook hands, and I got a quick hug from Beth. Carl was off to the courthouse—he had an appointment with a judge. Beth told me she’d see us Friday afternoon.

I was a bit early for lunch. I went to the usual spot, and was joined by Betty. Where were Donna and Sherry? Colleen joined us and told me all the cheerleaders were away for the afternoon. She tried prying information from me, but I told her I wasn’t talking. Betty told me her dad was pleased about the way things turned out, but people were still concerned about me.

We only had one teacher giving us a test on Friday, and that was the fat fool. As he started droning on, I asked Rachel if she could give me a ride home. She smiled and nodded.

As we walked to her car after class, I felt tired. The day had almost been an anticlimax. I knew I wasn’t feeling tired-depressed, I felt the kind of tired you get after completing an ordeal.

We got to Rachel’s car and she unlocked the doors. I got in. She put her stuff in the back seat and closed the back door. She paused, doing something before she opened the front door and got in. She swept over to me, kissing me. I was engulfed in her perfume. Her hands found my head, holding me. I let her hold me, relaxing in her embrace. After we kissed, she held me, whispering to me, one hand holding the back of my head, the other stroking the back of my neck. I didn’t have to do anything except let her hold me.

We made it to her house, and I was in her arms again on her bed. She held me and I sucked on her, relaxing in her warmth, perfume, and embrace. Then we were naked, and she was on top of me, riding me. Oh, she felt so good on top of me, and I came when she cried out. She held me again, and I drifted off.

“What is it about you and tits?” she asked me, rolling me to my back from where she’d been holding me.

Part of me was bothered at what had happened, but part of me felt fulfilled, and very relaxed.

“What is it?” she asked again, moving my head around, looking me in the eye.

“Do you like it?” I asked her.

She gave me a low laugh. “Andy, it’s great. You’re so intense, yet gentle. What is it?”

I smiled. “You want to know?”

She nodded.

So did I. “Then hold me again, softly, gently, and after a few minutes ask me again. Part of me must know.”

She smiled and eased closer to me, reaching for me. “That sounds like fun.”

She held me to her again. When she cradled my head just right, I moaned—what a feeling! Then she rocked me and spoke softly to me, and I went down, down, down, so very deep. I remember coming up some, and she held me, and I was filled with warmth.

When I woke up, she was sitting up beside me on her bed. She wiped her eyes.

“Did I tell you?” I asked.

“Don’t you remember?” she asked. I moved my head back and forth a little. She held me again, and I remembered.

I told her again. “There are places inside me that are empty, hungry, needing to be filled. Sucking, being held, being cradled, takes the edge off those places, and fills them, at least for a while.”

She held me to her again, and as I slipped back into trance, I felt it happen, felt those places, and felt them being filled. Now I could seek them out, bring them out to be filled. Something changed in the way I held her, and she responded, cradling me, holding me softly yet tightly, increasing the intensity.

She sat up again, and pulled me to sitting. She looked at me in wonder, shaking her head slowly. “That is really something,” she whispered.

I took her hands. “Yes, it is. Thank you for helping me understand it.” I sighed as I looked at her. “But you tricked me—you took me by surprise.”

She smiled a little. “You certainly seemed to need it. I hope you enjoyed it—I certainly did.”

“Rachel, yes, I did—but part of me is bothered by it. I’m not sure it’s fair to Karen, or to me, or to you.”

She almost scowled. “Andy, can’t we just have fun together? Holding you a few minutes ago was one of the most intense things I’ve ever felt.”

I held her. Had I started hurting her? Is that what I did? Hurt everyone I was near?

“Rachel, it was intense, and very special. Give me a chance to decide, that’s all.”

“You don’t want me surprising you and carrying you off? God, Andy, that was so hot. I came so hard and so quickly when I got on top of you.”

I could feel her nipples tightening against me. “Rachel, you caught me at just the right time. I’m glad it was you.”

“You want me to take you home now?” she asked.

I moved back a bit so we could look at each other. I moved my hands from her shoulders to brush her breasts and nipples. Her eyes closed and her head went back as she sighed and moaned softly.

“Rachel, I’d like you to take me again, and use me.”

She laughed softly and ran her hands up my arms. It was my turn to sigh and fall back. I closed my eyes and let her hands, her voice, and her body take me away. She rode me again, and after she cried out on top of me, she pulled my head to her, and I came, pumping into her, and drifting off in her embrace.

We took a quick shower and she took me back to the house. We kissed in the car. I went in and started dinner.

Karen got back a little after six. She was happy with how she’d done on the test, and with her study session. The test Thursday was right after lunch. Then she’d be done until January. She’d be able to pick me up after school.

She let me massage her back and shoulders when we went to bed. As I tucked her in afterwards, she pulled up her nightie and drew me in close. I let her warmth fill me.

“You are so nice to hold,” she told me in the morning as we were cleaning up after breakfast.

“And you hold me so well,” I answered with a smile.

She gave me a complex look.

“What is it?” I asked.

“It’s like you open up, or something, when I’ve got you.”

I held her hand. “You connect with something very deep in me,” I told her.

She smiled and hugged me. “With something very deep in both of us.”

I could see indecision in her face as she took me to school. I gave her a kiss and wished her well on the test.

School was boring. Greg caught me between classes. He smiled and laughed, and clapped me on the back. Then in a soft voice he told me, “I think she’s cast a spell on me.”

“Oh?” I asked.

He nodded. “She’s got this way of holding me—I melt in her arms. I’m helpless.”

I smiled. “It’s wonderful, isn’t it?”

He laughed again, nodded, and headed off.

Rachel leaned over in physics and whispered warmly in my ear about how nice the afternoon had been with me. Then she wanted to know how to get in touch with me the next week—some of them were planning parties, and wanted me to be there.

That brought me back to the real world. Where was I going to be? To be safe, I gave her the numbers for Beth, Karen, and my cell phone. When she asked me again where I’d be, I looked her in the eye and said, “I’m not sure.”

Donna and Rachel walked down to the parking lot with me. I saw Karen and waved. She got out of her car and walked up to us.

Rachel said, “She’s beautiful, Andy.”

“I know.”

Karen gave me a warm hug. The barrier between us was down again. I introduced her, telling Rachel and Donna that Jackson made me the luckiest man in the world, forcing me to live with Karen. We laughed, but it was a bittersweet laugh all around.

When we got to the house, we started in on dessert for Friday. Karen’s test had gone well. She’d had some options on things to really dig deep into, and had picked well. She thought my pastry crust skills were better than hers. We did an apple pie with a crisscross top crust, had a light dinner ourselves, and did what prep we could for the following dinner. Tomorrow she’d take me to school, then spend most of the day cleaning. She’d pick me up as well.

We puttered for a bit. This time Karen pulled me over to the couch by the hands. She was smiling.

“Andy, I’ve got so much to thank you for. I’ll be out of City next year, thanks to you. I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow night. Make love with me tonight, and in the morning?”

I nodded and held her. Her heart was beating hard and fast. “Karen, I wish roses didn’t have thorns,” I told her as we held each other.

We sat back. “But that’s the way things is,” she told me. I laughed with her—she’d read “Crooked Cucumber.” That was the test of Zen, Suzuki-roshi said, accepting things as they “is.”

“Go get ready for bed,” she told me. She didn’t have to tell me twice.

But when I went to the big bedroom, she walked out with a smile, and then I thought I heard the shower running. Oh well—I could wait.

Had it not even been two weeks? What a crazy world. Now I knew I was going to Stanford, and didn’t have to worry about paying for it. Did my mom know? I hadn’t thought about her in a week. How was my dad? What a price for where we were now.

“What’s wrong, Andy?”

I turned and saw her, naked in the doorway. I could smell perfume on her as she turned out the light and slipped into bed. “What’s wrong?” she asked again.

“Thinking of my mom and dad, wondering about them,” I told her. Her skin was cool as we slid close. I could smell the perfume—very nice. I moved to kiss her, but she pulled my head to her chest. “Think about them later,” she whispered. “You don’t need to think now.”

No, I didn’t need to think now. She held me, inflaming me. She’d shaved her legs—they were so soft and smooth. She wouldn’t let me go down on her, but she did let me be on top of her, and I teased her with my thumb as I slid in and out. She held me and came, and came again. She pulled me to a kiss, and with a hand insistent on the small of my back, and the feeling of her body under mine, she pulled me over the edge with her. Afterwards she held me and I went to sleep, filling those places deep inside.

She let me go down on her in the morning, after we went to the bathroom to clean up. After I did, she pinned me on my back and rode me. She held me again, and we had to scramble to shower, eat, and get me to school.

I gave Sherry both phone numbers, not knowing where I’d be. I told her if I was going to a party, I might be bringing someone. She sighed with initial disappointment, but then smiled and gave me a hug.

In math, Betty gave me some newspaper clippings. The paper reported that Jackson had resigned as part of settling litigation brought by a student. The article said it was the paper’s position not to report the names of minors, and while the lawsuit and settlement had been sealed by the court, it was rumored to involve a six figure amount.

I had some questions at lunch, and told people that I didn’t know the amount of the settlement—I’d told my attorney I did not want to know. And even if I knew, I wouldn’t tell anyone. Let’s move on. Sherry gave me a soft hug and kiss at the end of lunch, hoping I had a good holiday, and hoping to see me—I could call her whenever.

The physics test was a joke—twenty multiple-choice questions. We all finished early. Outside hugging in the hall, Donna told me, “Even I got an ‘A’ on that one—thanks to your help, Andy.” I felt myself being pressed between two soft, sexy bodies. It was grand.

Donna kissed me and told me she hoped to see me during the holidays. She took off.

Rachel and I leaned against a wall at the bottom of the stairwell, around the corner from the stairs and out of the flow of traffic.

“Karen is really cute,” she told me.

I nodded.

“So, are you two, like, ....”

“Lovers?” I asked. She nodded. I put an arm around her waist. “We are, but for how long, who knows?”

She sort of frowned. “Andy, you are so weird some times.”

“What’s weird about that? It’s the truth. We don’t know what’s going to happen next.”

She put her arms around my waist and held us hip to hip, swaying seductively. “What do you want to happen next?”

I put my head on her shoulder. She moved one arm around my chest as I relaxed into her.

“Rachel, I want us all to be happy,” I told her.

We rocked together for a bit, then went our separate ways.

Karen was waiting for me in the student lot. It was pretty empty. I got in her car, we kissed, and headed off.

“How was the test?” she asked.

“A joke. Got the meat going?”

“Yes, I did just what you told me to do.”

I put a hand on her leg. “Thanks. It’s going to be great. How was your day?”

She sighed. “I missed you. They should be here around five. Beth is coming over at four. Dinner is set for six.”

“It will all work out fine,” I told her. Did I believe that? I had to.

She sighed. “I know. All I see is cloud, though. I haven’t spotted the silver lining yet.”

End of Part 7

Rev 8/29/2000