The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Occulus, Part One

Hi… Robert Tolson here for American Cinema Classics.

We continue Day 13 of ACC’s “Countdown to Halloween” with a film that was thought lost forever: Hammer Studio’s 1970 release, “The Evil Gaze of Dr. Occulus”, or as it was known across the pond, “Evil Gaze”. Directed and written by Hammer stalwart Teddy Pennington Blythe and starring Frederick Freeman, it’s mostly remembered as the film Christopher Lee turned down. Lee apparently refused the role as he did not want to wear the elaborate prosthetic make up required for the titular monster, a fiendish hypnotist with a taste for nubile lasses.

It proved to be a wise decision, as the production was cursed from the onset of filming. Marred with technical problems and tension between Pennington Blythe and the studio, the production was nearly shut down several times. Strange stories of improper conduct by the director towards the female cast didn’t help. Some have even claimed that Pennington Blythe used actual hypnosis to prepare the actresses to play their entranced roles. Perhaps because of this cloud, the movie was given a very limited release here and in Britain, and was not included in any television syndication package. For decades, it was feared lost…. A distant memory but for a few Hammer completists . All of that changed in 2012 when a print was discovered in a warehouse in Hungary. Lovingly restored, here is Hammer’s “The Evil Gaze of Dr. Oculus”, number 13 on ACC’s “Countdown to Halloween”.

(movie begins with a close up on a sign which reads: DOCTOR OCCULUS: MASTER OF MYSTICAL MESMERISM. A narrator begins to speak:
 

“Throughout history, mystics, entertainers, and healers practiced what we now call Hypnotism. This art of suggestion was never scientifically studied until Anton Mesmer in the late Eighteenth Century. Since then, Hypnosis has evolved into a useful therapeutic tool. At the same time, Science has grown to understand the limits of hypnosis. It is universally accepted the hypnotized subject cannot be made to act against his or her personal morals and beliefs.

Even today, however, Science admits that there have always been unique individuals who have an almost supernatural ability to bend the wills of others.”

Dramatic Music, Followed by Title and Credits
THE EVIL GAZE OF DOCTOR OCCULUS
As the opening credits finish, the camera pulls back to reveal that the sign has been set next to a gypsy wagon with a cabin. It is parked outside a tavern in a Central European village, two donkeys tied to a nearby post. Uproarious laughter can be heard from inside of the tavern. You then hear what sounds like the clucking of a chicken. The scene shifts to inside, where we see a busty and brunette barmaid on a long table imitating a chicken. She has a wide eye expression, and seems oblivious to the laughter. Seated on a chair next to the table is another barmaid, slender, blonde, and more demurely dressed. Her eyes are closed, and her chin rests on her chest as if she is asleep. Next to her stands Dr. Occulus, the mesmerist. He is a dark and handsome man in his forties wearing a somewhat faded suit. A beautiful gypsy woman in her mid thirties is working her way through the crowd, getting donations from the audience.)
Occulus
(to the clucking barmaid):

That’s enough, my dear.....now close your eyes and rest for a moment. That’s it....rest.”

(The busty barmaid remains standing on the table, but her head lowers just like the other girl. The crowd breaks into applause. Occulus looks at the gypsy woman, who nods her head while holding up the bag. The tavern keeper, a big smile on his face, whispers in Occulus’s ear)
Tavern Owner:

A great show, my friend, a great show....but what about an intermission so I can sell more ale? (Occulus nods)

Occulus:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am so glad you are enjoying this scientific demonstration. But dominating wills is hard work. Let us take a short break to refill our steins.”

(More applause. the gypsy woman approaches Occulus, who is hovering over his subjects, checking their eyes and pulses.)
Magda:

We will eat well, tonight, Darling. Finish up so we can leave this cursed place.

Occulus:

What’s the hurry? With a few more shows, we would have enough to settle here. I can even start a therapeutic practice as I have always dreamed so we don’t have to engage in these demeaning theatrics...

Magda
(great fear):

You know why not.......not this close to where the accursed Baron drove my people away....killed my son...burned our wagons..left me for dead..if you had not found me that day and taken me in....

Occulus
(tenderly):

Shhhhh.... You’re right, Magda......we’ll find another place, one less painful for you...I promise. Let me just milk this crowd a little more...you know there are no other villages in this valley.

(Magda smiles, and kisses him on the cheek, and nods her agreement, when suddenly the tavern door opens. A group of six men, all wearing expensive finery stride into the tavern. They seem somewhat drunk, and in a festive mood. Their leader, the Baron, is in his late 30’s and has a cruel aspect. He is attended by a giant of a man of indiscriminate ethnicity with a jagged scar across his left cheek. This is his majordomo,Vrakor. The crowd all lower their gaze to the floor as tension fills the room. Magda grabs Occulus’s arm in panic.)
Magda:

No, No...it’s him...the Baron and his men...the men who....I told you...we should never come back to this cursed valley.....he will finish what he started with me.....

Occulus:

Magda, you need to calm yourself. Just look into my eyes......

Magda
(averting her face away from his):

No, please....I can’t....you don’t know what the beast did to me....to my sisters....

Occulus:

All right. Slip out the back, take the wagon back to our camp site. I’ll see if I can get a few quid from the bastards. Take the money and wait for me...it will be all right, Magda.. I promise.

(Magda seems to want to argue, but then tearfully nods her head and slips out unseen by the Baron.
Baron:

So....what do we have here, some kind of mystic entertainment? Some sort of gypsy magic, perhaps? (His voice is full of contempt when he says “gypsy”) You have a wagon like one.

Tavern keeper:

Oh no, your Honor.......a demonstration of mesmerism....Dr. Occulus here says it’s all scientific like. He studied in Munich and Heidelberg...he’s no stinking gypsy.

(Occulus confidently strides over.)
Occulus:

Yes, Your Honor.....and it would be a privilege to show you my modest art...of course any donation will help me continue my research.

(The Baron seemingly ignores him and walks over to the table and casts leering looks at the two entranced women. His gaze lands the longest on Lissette, the slender blonde who is seated, asleep.)
Baron:

So, Herr Doktor (heavy sarcasm in his voice)...these lovelies are truly slaves to your will?

Occulus
(His voice full of confidence):

We men of science would not put it so, but, yes....they are deeply under my influence...though of course I cannot make them do anything against.....

Baron:

Enough talk! Let us have a private show.

Tavern keeper:

But Baron.......

Baron:

Vrakor, give this man a bag of coin. If all of these peasants are not gone in a minute, show them my displeasure...and pay Herr Doktor as well....After all I am not a barbarian. Oh, and Barkeep, brings us mulled wine before you take our leave.

(The tavern keeper takes the coins, and begins ushering the crowd away. You can tell they are reluctant, and hold no love for the Baron, though they are too cowed to openly defy him. Soon, the tavern is empty, save for Baron’s party, Occulus, and the two hypnotized ladies. The tavern keeper brings in a small cauldron filled with spiced wine and sets over the tavern’s center hearth. He leaves goblets and leaves the room.)
Occulus, looking incredulously at his bag of coins, looks up at the Baron
Occulus:

This is so generous, Your Honor....I know... what if I show you how the power of mesmerism can turn a woman into a frozen statute that.......

Peter:

I say put Johann here under!

Occulus:

My regrets, sir... for reasons unknown...my powers have always been limited to the fairer sex.

Baron:

Who wants to see a lummox like Johann bewitched...brandy has already done that.. No, I want to see the ladies....perform. Something a bit more fitting for a .....sophisticated audience such as my friends.....something a bit more risque.....(This provokes laughter and agreement.)

Occulus:

But Your Honor....this girls trusted me...I promised the Tavern Keeper there would be nothing ribald.....and as I tried to explain earlier to you there are limits....

Baron:

So you cannot give what I have “so generously” paid for....Do I need to summon the Police Inspector and tell him a charlatan is taking advantage of these simple people? Or perhaps I’ll have Vrakor here deal with you.....

Occulus:

(bows his head in shame) That won’t be necessary...Your Honor. (He pauses in thought, then walks over to the girls. He whispers in the busty, brown haired woman’s ear and she slowly sits on the table, her feet dangling) Now, Tanya......I want you to listen very closely...

Baron:

The fair one as well! (Occulus seems reluctant, but nods his head, takes Lisette’s hand, and seats her next to Tanya.)

Occulus:

Now both of you ladies...open your eyes and look at me, staying deeply deeply asleep. That’s it...just focus all of your attention on me and my voice. In a moment...when I snap my fingers, you will no longer be in the tavern. You both will be alone in a pretty meadow on a pleasant summer day, siting next to a stream of cool, clean water. You will not see me or the other men here, but you will continue to hear and respond to my voice. Do you understand?

Tanya
(murmuring):

Yessss

(Lisette, after a long pause, nods her head.)
(Occulus snaps his fingers, and the girls react. Tanya smiles, and stretches out her legs, while Lisette, also smiling, shades her eyes,)
Occulus:

So nice...such a pretty day. But it is a bit hot, is it not?

(Both girls nod. Lisette begins to fan herself with her hand, and Tanya wipes sweat from her brow.)
Occulus:

Yes...it’s getting so hot....especially your legs and feet.....the water is so inviting...so cool and refreshing....and you are alone with your friend in the beautiful meadow.

(Lisette continues to fan herself, with a slightly troubled look on her face. Tanya, has no reluctance, and kicks off her shoes and quickly removes her stockings, to whistles and catcalls from the young men. The Baron intently stares, as she tucks the stockings into her shoes, and throws them across the room, nearly hitting Peter, a portly young man. Tanya then begins “splashing her feet” in the imaginary brook. The Baron looks over and sees Lisette has not moved, but is frowning. He angrily points at her. Occulus walks over to the blonde and whispers
Occulus:

No need to be shy...you are alone with your good friend Tanya......it will feel so much better...just take off your shoes and stockings and be refreshed.

(Lisette finally, slowly, complies and soon is also “splashing” her now bare feet about.)
Occulus
(relieved):

That’s it, just relax and enjoy the cool water.........

Baron:

Splendid...but If I want to see barefoot peasant girls, I just need to walk around the valley. Let’s test your powers a bit more. Hmmmmm... Have the dark one kiss fat Peter ...he could use a bit of free affection. (His friends all snigger and playfully push their stout friend forward.)

Occulus:

( Looks to the door, but Vrakor blocks his path, his arms crossed. Occulus nods his head in resignation, and goes to Tanya.

Occulus:

Tanya...listen carefully. Lisette is no longer next to you. You are now alone, refreshing yourself in the brook. But look...over there....you see the the most handsome man you have ever seen coming towards you. (Laughing, the men push Peter in front of the girl) He is rich, handsome and rich, and you know he can give you a life of luxury....if only you can show him...what a wonderful lover you would be......(Tanya now has a lascivious expression. She licks her lips, and reaches out with her right hand. Peter takes it and she stands. Before anyone can say anything..she falls into his arms and begins kissing him. The men all applaud.)

Baron:

Now that is exactly what I was talking about.. Excellent, Doctor..but don’t you think it should be my turn, considering I am paying for this show?

(Occulus puts a hand on Tanya’s shoulder, but before he can speak to her.....)
Baron:

No, Herr Doktor...I want her (pointing at Lisette)

Occulus:

But your Honor....Tanya is deeper...and more naturally inclined to please you in that....manner. Please.

Baron
(SHOUTING):

I SAID I WANT A KISS FROM HER.

Johann
(whispering to Occulas):

Just give him what he wants, old man.....his natural tendency is not forgiveness.

(Occulas walks slowly over to Lisette, obviously ashamed of himself.)
Occulus:

Lisette...look into my eyes...deeply into my eyes. Deeper and Deeper.

(He is focusing all of his will. Subtle glimmers of golden light seem to emanate from his eyes. Lisette’s frown fades as she goes deeper into trance.)
Occulus:

You must answer my questions truthfully, holding nothing back. Do you have a suitor?

(Lisette nods her head. Occulus points at the Baron. Look...your lover is here...looking handsome and kind. Do you see him?
Lisette:

Horst...is that you.. my darling? (The baron’s image becomes blurry, then resolves into the form of a handsome young man dressed as a peasant.)

Baron
(walking over):

Yes my dear.....and aren’t you a vision of loveliness today.

Lisette:

Oh stop Horst....you know you don’t need to sweet talk me. But I look a mess..(she looks down at her bare feet and blushes)..turn your back while I put my shoes back on.

Baron:

Don’t concern yourself with that....kiss me.

(The girl rises. She is embraced and begins to passionately kiss the Baron/Horst. All is well, until Baron’s hands begin to wander over her body.
Lisette:

Horst....stop....you’re going too fast...please....

(The Baron ignores her and becomes more forceful)
Occulus:

Baron please, she’s growing too upset...she’s going to wake...

Johann:

Yes....Heinrich...enough of this....it’s not funny anymore...

(The Baron ignores them until Lisette breaks free and slaps him hard. The young men all begin to laugh at this turn of events. Lisette screams and faints. Tanya pulls away from Peter, and also seems to be rousing from her trance. The mens’ laughter ends when the enraged Baron glares at them, his lip bleeding. He then moves to Occulus. Vrakor moves behind mesmerist and grabs his arms.)
Baron:

You fool..you did that on purpose....made me look the fool....

Occulus:

No....No Your Honor....I tried to explain before...mesmerism has limits.....her natural....

Baron:

I’ll show you...no one embarrasses me...(striking Occulus hard with his riding crop) No one disgraces me....(Hits him again. All of the young men begin beating Occulus. Tanya helps Lisette to her feet, and they run from the room. The semiconscious Occulus is grabbed by the Baron, who has a murderous look in his face.

Johann:

No Henriech...don’t do it

Vrakor:

NO Your Honor...

(the Baron pushes Occulus towards the hearth. As he falls, the side of his face presses against the mulled wine vat. There is a sizziling sound, and Occculus screams. His left face and eye are ruined. He passes out. The Tavern Keeper runs into the room.
Tavern keeper:

What’s going on...Lisette is hysterical. Why are their stockings off..(he sees Occulus and blanches. Vlakor takes command)

Vrakor:

You and you...get Occulus out of here. Take him and thrown him down the ravine. You, Tavern Keeper. When the Inspector arrives...follow my lead if you know what’s best. Baron...go back to Vienna tonight. Stop for no one.. Go. JOHANN, GET HIM OUT OF HERE!

(Johann pulls the Baron, who seems to be coming to his senses, away. The other two drag Occulus’ body out the back. FADE OUT/FADE IN.
(The scene shifts to outside. Peter and another man are holding up Occulus on the lip of a ravine.)
Peter:

Go ahead...let’s get this done.....

Occulus:

Please...don’t

Peter:

Do it for God’s sake!!

(The men push him over, and immediately leave after the darkness swallows Occulus.) What they don’t see is that five meters down, Occulus has grabbed an exposed tree root and pulled himself on a rocky outcrop of rock. He begins to whisper)
Occulus:

Magda.......you must hear me....Magda...I need you......

(The scene shifts to their campsite. Magda sits with a concerned look on her face sipping tea by a fire. Her face grows blank, and the metal cup falls into the fire. She slowly stands, then shakes her head and seems to wake.)
Magda:

I am coming, my love.....

(The scene shifts back to Occulus. The camera slowly pans up and you see Magda’s tanned bare feet at the lip of the ledge. She drops a rope down.)
(It is now morning. The Police Inspector is interviewing Vrakor, Tanya, and the Tavern Keeper in the same room. He is writing in pencil in a small notebook.)
Inspector:

Where is the good Baron and his friends? Your statement is very complete but I should interview all of the witnesses

Vrakor:

Sadly, His Honor has been called back to Vienna on pressing Imperial matters. His friends as well. Herr Baron apologizes and promises that you will receive sworn affidavits from his solicitor.

Inspector
(dryly):

Of course I will. So why don’t you tell me again this astounding tale.

Vrakor:

Of course, Inspector. The Baron arranged for a private demonstration with the ladies who had already been entertaining the room. Sadly, this Occulus fellow continued to drink mulled wine, and his suggestions grew inappropriate. He had the ladies partially disrobe and grew familiar with the fair one. The Baron was shocked and interceded so to defend the girl’s honor. Occulus grew violent, and when we lept to the Baron’s defense, he stumbled, knocking over the vat. I think he may have burned himself.

Inspector
(looking at the Tavern Keeper):

You corroborate all of this, then?

Tavern Keeper:

Well...I was out of the room for most of it. I’m counting the night’s take in the back when Tanya and Lissette come, all hysterical like. They ain’t wearing no shoes or stockings either. I’m enraged, cause Occulus swore to me he wouldn’t take advantage of the girls. I go in....and it’s just like the Baron’s man said. Occulus is drunk and stumbling around saying the girls belong to him and he will do whatever he wants with them. He then runs out after knocking the vat over. Leaves me in a fine pickle, what with that Occulus running off without paying me my share of his take.(Looks over at Vrokor) A real shame that. (As he looks, Vrakor, covertly shows him a sack of coins out of the Inspector’s line of sight.) That’s what happened...I’ll swear to it.

Inspector
(looking over at Tanya):

And you?

Tanya
(laughing):

Don’t ask me..... it’s all blurry like. One minute the wizard is speaking to me and Lizzy all nice and soothing like, with everybody gaping at us, the next thing I wake up barefoot in room with those angry gents. I just remember getting Liz and me out of there, quick like....Everyone knows I don’t mind a bit of fun...but it all felt wrong.”

(the Inspector shifts back to the major dommo.)
Inspector:

Vienna you say....perhaps that is for the best. I think Baron should keep away for a while.

Vrakor:

What are you saying, Inspector...remember, the Baron’s family has held this valley for generations. He is confidante of the Emperor himself.

Inspector:

I meant no disrespect. It’s just that it’s so much quieter here when His Honor is in Vienna....just ask the gypsies.

(The scene shifts to Lsette’s room. A young, handsome doctor is at her bedside. She has fallen asleep. He gazes at her with appreciation for her great beauty. He gets up and enters the hallway where he’s met by the Inspector and Horst.
Horst:

Is she going to be all right, Doctor Klein?

Doctor Klein:

I gave her something to help her sleep. Interesting case of hypnotically induced hysteria. You need to let her sleep...I expect she will be fine by tomorrow.

Horst:

Thank you Herr Doctor...Thank you. (he leaves.)

Inspector:

And her memories?

Klein:

Even more blank than Tanya’s. She does keep repeating something about a meadow brook and golden eyes.

Inspector:

And what am I supposed to do with that information, Herr Doctor?

Klein:

Don’t ask me...I’m just a simple village doctor. I do have Charcot’s new book...I will do some research. Perhaps if the young lady allows me to re-induce trance so that I can......

Inspector:

Out of the question, Herr Doctor. The poor girl has had enough “science” for one lifetime.

(FADE OUT/FADE IN. Scene shifts to inside the wagon. Occulus is in agony, with half his face bandaged. He grabs Magda’s hands.
Magda:

Quiet, my love,...you must rest.

Occulus:

No time....for rest...he ruined me...he did this to me...to your people..... he must pay....

Magda:

Stop speaking nonsense.....little people like us will never have justice from the likes of him.

Occulus:

But there is a way...When we first met...you told me about your grandmother...the witch.... I didn’t believe at first.....but you showed me your talents..

Magda:

I just showed you small acts of white magic.....that helped us. Now, You need to rest...

Occulus:

You told me how her blood runs in you...how she made you learn things....dark things...ways of gaining revenge.

Magda:

I told you...I swore to my mother and father I would never follow in her footsteps...I won’t....

Occulus:

Look at me..Magda..

Magda:

Please, my love...don’t do this (She begins staring into his good eye. Golden flecks begin to enter it. Her face grows slack)

Occulas:

The Baron must pay Magda......you must help me make that happen....use what the witch taught you...you must....for me...for your tribe...the Baron must pay.

Magda:

No...you don’t understand the cost to me...to you....you will change into something evil..don’t...don’t do this....

Occulus:

You know you cannot resist......I’ve had you under too many times.....and deep down you don’t want to resist. Look what he’s done to me....to you...to your family..you know you hate him....say it...the Baron must pay.

(closeup on Magda’s blank face, flecks of gold in her eyes as well.)
Magda:

The Baron........ must pay.

(scene shifts late night. There are dark clouds, rain, and lightening Occulus is tied to a chair while a half naked Magda dances around him. She is chanting in an ancient tongue. Occulus writhes in agony, his head in a burlap bag. Magda picks up a knife and grabs of a pigeon from a cage. She cuts the bird’s throat while chanting even louder, and sprinkles its blood unto the burlap hood. The lightening flashes, as Occulus screams.)
(Early next morning. Magda is on the ground, the dagger still in her hand. She sits up rubbing her head. She looks in shock at her near nakedness, at Occulus who sits silent, then at her bloody hands and the dagger.)
Magda voice filled with apprehension):

What have you made me do......

(She unsteadily gets to her feet and stumbles forward. She cuts off the hood...and screams, falling backward.)
(Occulus face now only has a slit for a mouth and giant cyclopean eye which is currently closed.)
Magda:

Abomination.......thing of the Devil.... (She steps forward, about to cut his throat.)

Magda
(tearfully):

I am sorry my love...but I cannot let this evil possess you...even if it means losing you.

(The eye opens. Instead of glimpses of gold, the entire eye has a golden aura. Magda begins to scream, but stops. A placid expression replaces her look of terror. Her arms fall limp to her side, and the dagger drops perilously close to her bare feet. Occulus’s slit mouth smiles wickedly. When he speaks, his voice is his, but filled with malice and darkness)
Occulus:

Magda....I am your Master... and you are my obedient slave.

Magda
(tonelessly):

You are my master...I am your obedient slave.

Occulus:

Good. Now pick up the dagger, and cut me free. (She obeys). Thank you my dear...that’s much better. (He stands, and stares into her eyes, lifting her chin.) Such marvelous power surging through me. There is nothing you can refuse me, isn’t that right?

Magda
(sexy and submissive):

Yes, Master. I will obey.

Occulus:

But I am a scientist...we must have proof. And there must be some punishment for threatening your Master. Step to the ledge and put one foot over the edge. When I tell you to...step off into the ravine.

Magda:

Yes, Master (close up of her bare feet stepping to the edge. Slowly, her right foot lifts off into space.)

Occulus:

You understand, my dear...one more step and you will fall to your death?

Magsa:

Yes, Master.

Occulus:

and at my command you will take that step?

Magda:

Anything for you, Master. I’ll do anything.

(Occulus pauses, seemingly tempted. Then he smiles again, turning back to the wagon. )
Occulus:

Not today, my gypsy slave. Not today. We will have to find other ways for you to earn your forgiveness. Come with me. I have need of you. Then we may begin our great task...the destruction of our enemy and all in league with him.

Magda:

I hear and obey, Master. (Close up of her slowly placing her foot back on the ground, turning and following Occulus into the wagon.)