The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Jilliad

Book 2

After the Necklace

Chapter 23 The Day Part 1

“These are the times that try men’s souls.”

Thomas Paine.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way…”

Charles Dickens.

Every once in a while a day will dawn and end leaving a person emotionally shredded. A day in which virtually all human emotions are experienced over a twenty-four hour period, which would cause a person to examine their beliefs and value systems. Such would be the day for Mark Samuels and most of his loved ones. It would take all his strength, magic and love to make it through the day. He would, but someone he cared about would not make it through unscathed.

Today, virtually every important person in Mark’s life had something in common. This afternoon, everyone would either be attending or playing in a football game. At noon, Boston College was facing Florida State in a pivotal ACC match up. At two, Sanders was playing Wesleyan University on campus.

At BC, Rich had successfully got two tickets together for Willow and Wendy. They sat in the stands rooting for Rich as his arm dissected the Seminole defense in the first half. At halftime, they spent some time talking.

“So Willow…”

“Here it comes. I knew you couldn’t hold off,” frowned the college senior.

“I was only about to say how terrific your boyfriend looked in the first half,” smiled the high school senior.

“He was pretty good…” Willow stopped as she saw Wendy crack up.

“Hey… How did you do that?”

“Do what?” smiled Wendy.

“Get me to stop accusing you of trying to get Rich and me together and then make it a statement of fact, and have me go right along with it,” she grumbled.

“I’m tricky and you’re in love,” laughed Wendy.

“Why is it that I can’t stay mad at you?” asked Willow as she rolled her eyes.

“Because I’m like you: smart, sincere and beautiful.”

“Why is it that everybody’s saying that I’m beautiful. I’m not,” griped Willow.

Wendy laughed.

“What’s so funny?” asked Willow.

“Now I know why I like you so much.”

“Why?”

“You remind me of two different people.”

“Who?”

“Your brother and I.”

“OK, I can see why you would mention ‘gravel face’ but why you?”

“First of all, your brother is quite handsome and you know it.”

“I guess he’s OK, if you’re into that kind of thing,” said Willow.

“If you’re saying that Jeff is handsome and that I’m into him, you’re right,” stated Wendy. “The point is that he and I have been pitifully insecure about our appearance and our self-worth.”

“You? You could be a swimsuit model!” exclaimed Willow.

“I don’t know about that, but there was a time that if you had said that to me, I would have started crying, because I would have thought that you were making fun of me,” said Wendy.

“What?”

“I used to think I was ugly, until some very smart people including your brother and my sister got me to see the truth,” said Wendy.

“So, you’re trying to return the favor to me,” said Willow.

“I guess, but..”

“I don’t need any favors. Look Wendy, I know you mean well, but I already know that I’m not the ugliest girl in the world.”

“You’re a lot more than that.”

“Maybe, but he needs even more. He deserves it. He needs someone better than me,” stated Willow.

“How do you think he feels?”

“Confused. He’s confusing affection for love.”

“How do you know that?”

“I just do.”

“Look Will, you don’t mind if I call you that? I already see you as a friend.”

“Please do.”

“Will, I’ll let this drop on one condition. I think you’re a brilliant woman, so I’d like you to take some time and I mean to really take some time to think about something.”

“What?” asked Willow apprehensively.

“That just maybe Rich isn’t the one who’s confused. Maybe you’re confusing his love for you for the affection you think that he only feels for you.”

“Why do you think that’s possible?” said Willow as she felt her defenses begin to crumble yet again from a Wendy Winthrop attack.

“Because dearest Willow, you may be a brilliant woman, but you are really dumb when it comes to your feelings.”

“I hate feelings. I try not to have them,” replied Will.

Wendy laughed and so did Willow.

“Seriously, think about it, please?” asked Wendy.

“OK, maybe on the trip to Sanders, I will consider the quite unlikely possibility, but only to get you to stop talking about it,” said Willow.

“That’s all I ask,” smiled Wendy.

Wendy and Willow began to watch as the third quarter started. The last thing she thought about as her attention turned to the game was wondering if there was an eighty year old sage hiding inside Wendy Winthrop’s body.

Back at Sanders the game was about to begin. Mark and his friends were all in the stands to support Jason. Some others were thinking of Jason, but not in a positive way.

Jeremy Whitman was a backup Safety on the football team. Last weekend, he decided that he was sick and tired of his girlfriend, Josie Garnier’s manipulative little ways and he decided to teach her a lesson. He knew that she was hot for him, so he broke up with her thinking that she would come begging to him, looking for another chance. That never happened, because for some reason, she decided to go after Jason Martino. Jason Martino could probably have had any girl he wanted. He knew that Josie had a crush on him, but he never thought that she had a chance. It turned out he had underestimated her resolve and her charm. Now he was pissed!

Joe Turner used Jeremy’s anger at Jason and Josie as a way of getting him to participate in a little event he had scheduled for after the game. He also managed to convince Bobby Hill who was playing Fullback as a “walk-on”. As he was not up to the job, his coach convinced Jason Martino to take Bobby’s position. After which, Hill was easily recruited for tonight. Finally, just to make sure he had enough firepower, he asked a High School teammate to come visit him this weekend. Lenny Martin was a mountain of a man. He was a first team all-state performer at both Offensive and Defensive tackle. He weighed 295 pounds and was 6 feet 5 inches in height. After getting a scholarship to Notre Dame, he washed out academically and now was working part time as a bouncer at a bar. Lenny had a mean streak a mile wide and he was looking forward to kicking some ass. Joe was happy to give him a target. Yes, Joe had positioned himself quite nicely, though he did not expect the kind of resistance he would face.

Sanders won the coin toss. After receiving the kickoff, Sanders took possession of the ball at their own 29 yard line. As Wesleyan knew of Sanders woes running the football, they called an all out blitz on the first play. What they didn’t expect was a draw play out of the ‘shotgun formation’, with Jason Martino, number 84, blocking like a mad man. When Jason hit the hole he ran smack dab into all-conference middle Linebacker, Steve Anders and ran him over just like he did Joe Turner at practice the other day. Ike Williams, who took the handoff, followed Jason’s block, accelerated after juking a Safety and cut outside to burst down the sideline. Jason wasn’t done yet. A speedy Wesleyan Cornerback attempted to close on Ike, but Jason who was still ready to block, took an angle and flattened the pursuer. Ike wound up in the end zone. Following the extra point, Sanders 7, Wesleyan 0.

After Sanders had proven that they could easily run the ball, it became a long day for the visitors. Kyle Dodd had a terrific game passing the ball, as he was able to move Sanders down the field at will. Several other players had outstanding game including first time starter Rondell Tyson who caught two touchdown passes. Jason even got in on the scoring barrage as he took an inside handoff and bulled his way thirteen yards for a touchdown. In the end, Sanders slaughtered Wesleyan 45-21. In the locker room after the game, Coach Hutchinson gave the game ball to both Jason and Rondell.

After posing with Rondell and the ball for the customary picture, Jason tossed the ball to Rondell. “Hey 89, you earned it.”

“Hey, half of this is yours. Without your blocking, we never could have opened up the Offense,” smiled Rondell.

“I’ve got seven of these already. You showed up in a big way today, Tyson. Keep up the same concentration, intensity and energy, you’re only going to get better,” Jason smiled.

“Better than you?”

“Let’s not get crazy here,” laughed Jason as he pat Rondell on the back.

“Hey serious man, watch yourself. I think they are looking for you later.”

“Thanks. I’ll be OK.”

At BC, The Eagles won and Rich had an amazing game. Afterward, he had to do a short interview with ESPN, who was airing the game and a brief press conference with his coach. Rich then ran off to find Will and Wendy after a quick shower. After getting a congratulatory hug from the girls they jumped into Rich’s car and hit the road. It was about 3:30 so with fairly favorable traffic, they were hoping to be at Sanders before 6:00.

After Jason had showered he ran into Trish, Mark, Sarah, Alexis and Josie as they had waited for him. Josie jumped into Jason’s arms as she was excited.

“Tonight I’m providing Limo service for the star of the game,” smiled Mark.

“Everyone else has already left for Elsie’s, but we wanted to stick around,” smiled Alexis.

“Well I hope you guys are not too mad at me, but we have to stop off at my dorm because that’s where Josie and my costumes are,” said Jason.

“Nothing that this driver can’t handle,” said Mark, as everyone piled into his SUV.

When they got there Josie smiled. Honey, I can go up and get them for you. Give me your key.”

“No, babe. I got it. I can’t have you doing everything for me or I’ll get helpless” laughed Jason.

“Buddy, do you want some backup?” asked Mark,. in a concerned voice.

“It’s only forty yards around the corner. I’ll be OK,” smiled Jason.

Mark didn’t seem so sure. “OK, but if you aren’t back in five minutes, were sending in the marines,” Mark said trying to keep it light.

“I’ll be back before you know it,” he smiled as he got out of the car.

Trish looked at Mark. She knew what the look on his face meant. He was not saying anything out of concern for Alexis, Sarah and especially Josie. Her Marky was worried, but all they could do was wait and hope.

After several minutes had passed, Mark decided he didn’t want to wait any longer. He looked at Josie. “Call him,” he said quietly.

After Josie had dialed the number, after several rings it went to voice mail. Josie opened the car door.

“No Josie! Don’t! Trish and I will go!” said Mark.

“I need to get to Jason!” Josie cried.

Mark knew he had no time to argue. He reached under his car seat and he pulled out a tire iron and handed it to the auburn haired girl.

“Take this and pretend it’s a hockey stick. When we get to the corner we don’t stop running!” said Mark grimly, as the three of them ran toward the edge of the building unprepared for what they would see.

Several minutes earlier, Jason had turned the same corner. There he saw Joe, Bobby, Jeremy and the big kid Rondell and Mark were telling him about.

Jason smiled. He knew that he was in trouble, but he knew how to deal with situations like this. He doubted that he could talk his way out, but if he was able to stall long enough, maybe someone would turn the corner. Still this entrance to the dorm was remote, so he felt his best hope was that Mark and Trish would come after him. Hopefully they were as good as Mark said they were. Still if all else fails, he would throw the first punch, he would make sure that he would hit that big kid as hard as he could.

“Hello Martino,” said Joe.

“Turner, it’s nice to see that you got the splinters out of your ass from sitting on the bench. Or maybe you had Hill or Whitman help you pull them out,” said a cocky Jason.

“Martino, we are going to put a serious beating on you!” said Jeremy.

“What’s your problem, Whitman?”

“You taking my girlfriend.” said Jeremy.

Jason’s mind flashed back to just about a week or so ago, when he was still referring to Alexis as his girlfriend; even though it was him who broke up with her the week before. What an asshole I was. Maybe I do deserve to have the shit kicked out of me, he thought as he laughed out loud.

“What’s so funny!” snarled Whitman.

“I was just thinking about how Josie told me that she was glad that broke up with her, because she was sick of having to find your needle dick every time you wanted to fuck.” laughed Jason.

He knew his words would set off Whitman. If they had been smart they would have attacked him from four sides. Now their attack would be chaos, which would hopefully buy him a little more time; not to mention get to hit Whitman, as he was looking forward to popping that asshole.

“You fuckin’ pussy, I’m gonna kick your ass!” yelled Jeremy as he charged at Jason.

Jason just stood there calmly and when Whitman threw a wild punch, Jason ducked and connected to Jeremy’s solar plexus with a heavy sucker punch, and down he went. Jason’s next move surprised his attackers. As the three remaining guys started moving in. Jason charged at Lenny, instead of running away as they thought he would. Jason threw a huge haymaker catching the big man off guard. The punch hit him right in the jaw and down he went. Damn, I must be eating my Wheaties. There’s no way I should be able to drop a guy that big. “He must be a glass jawed pussy,” Jason sneered as he laughed to himself. Then Jason felt himself being jumped on from behind. Bobby Hill had grabbed hold of him and as Jason was off balance, both men fell to the ground.

While he was wrestling with Hill, he felt a bright pain to his head. Joe Turner had kicked him really hard to his skull. Jason instinctively rolled away from Joe and kneed Hill to the crotch. As Hill was disabled. Jason punched him hard to the face, breaking his nose.

He then rolled to his feet just in time to take a boot to the midsection from Joe Turner. Jason grimaced. He knew he didn’t have much time. He was feeling a little faint from the hit to his head and the kick in the gut hurt like hell. He somehow managed to get up just as Turner was measuring him for a big hit. Jason knew this might be his last chance as he dodged Joe’s blow and charged into him at full force, driving Turner to the ground. He then hit Joe in the mouth causing him to bleed. Jason was about to hit him again when he felt two strong hands pull him off Joe. The big kid was up and he spun Jason around and hit him with a hard punch to his torso. Jason crumpled to the ground as he heard his cell phone begin to ring.

Over the next thirty seconds or so, Jason was kicked and punched, basically all over his body. Joe had hit him in the jaw causing his mouth to bleed. Jeremy had finally got off the ground and threw a big punch to his left upper cheek and glancing off his eye. Then there was a merciful pause. Somewhere in Jason’s battered mind he heard Joe say something horrifying. “My fist is beginning to hurt. Get me that bat you brought.”

Jason’s blurry vision saw Joe begin to size up his body as someone handed him the baseball bat. Jason felt his consciousness start to leave him. Joe was about to swing when a speedy form came flying through the air and kicked him brutally hard to his back. Joe collapsed in agony. As Lenny started after Trish, Mark ran up to him and threw the hardest punch he had ever thrown in his life. He hit Lenny in the jaw, cleanly breaking it and giving him a concussion in the process. Lenny fell down in agony. When Josie saw Jeremy holding her battered love, she went berserk. Jeremy let go of Jason to intercept her and lunged at her to tried to disarm her. Josie side stepped him and charge into him from behind brandishing the tire iron like her field hockey stick. She then hit Jeremy when he turned, with a glancing blow to his midsection that still did damage. Jeremy winced in pain. Again he foolishly tried to disarm her. This time she brought down the tire iron hard to his shoulder area. The solid hit separated his shoulder and causing a hairline fracture to his upper arm. He collapsed to the ground as Josie took another swing at him, hitting him in the back.

Trish had turned her attention to Bobby Hill. When he charged her, he ran into a perfectly timed round house kick, which hit the kid in the chops and he collapsed suffering from a concussion.

Mark saw Joe trying to get up, but writhing in agony. Mark hauled him to his feet causing his back to further wrench. He jacked him up against the nearby wall of Jackson dorm.

Joe Turner saw hate in the eyes of the nerdy kid who lived down the hall from him. The kid was incredibly strong for being so skinny. Then the hate burned to a new level as Mark began to pound him a few times against the wall of the dorm breaking Joe’s wrist and further hurting his back.

Mark realized that Jason might be in some trouble so he ran over to him as Trish landed a crushing kick to Lenny’s head as he was trying to get up and he was out cold. Trish saw Josie pounding away with her fists to Jeremy’s helpless form. His face was a mess. With cuts as scrapes from Josie’s finger nails. Trish pulled her off of Jeremy. “We need to help Jason now,” said Trish calmly.

Mark noticed that Jason had stopped breathing. He and Trish began to give him CPR. With Mark doing the chest compressions and Trish breathing air into his mouth. Then he realized he might be able to help Jason. “Switch babe!” yelled Mark. Mark went up to Jason and began to blow air into his mouth. He then was able to get into Jason’s body. Jason was suffering from some internal bleeding. Mark concentrated on stopping it by flooding the areas with platelets. Soon the most of the bleeding had stopped. Mark gave a strangled cry when he noticed that Jason’s heart had stopped beating. He was scared, but then remembered how he had seen Jill manipulate thought into energy in Lauren Hotchkiss’ body, to heal her mind. He concentrated on producing electricity, then he localized the energy and aimed it at Jason’s heart. He yelled, “Clear babe!” Trish realized what Mark was about to do and lifted her hands and then Mark shocked Jason’s heart.

Within seconds, it began to beat again. Mark sighed in relief. He continued to explore Jason for injuries. He noticed that Jason’s spleen had been ruptured so he did his best to stabilize it. Jason needed to get to the hospital. Josie had called 911 and ran over to see him opening his eyes.

Jason felt like shit, but he was still alive, he thought. His blurry vision saw Mark’s worried face and Josie’s face full of tears. Jason tried to talk, but found that it hurt. Josie stopped him “Shhhh…” she said as she gently stroked his head.

Mark knew what he had to do. The campus cops would arrive any minute, as would the real ones. He walked up to the crumpled form of Joe Turner who was groaning in pain. “You fucking asshole! You almost killed one of my best friends! I almost just want to kill you now, but I’m going to let you live! Because you are going to jail. I’m going to make it my life’s work to see that you go somewhere where you’ll get your ass raped every night!” Mark jabbed his finger into the chest of the prone boy and his anger reverberated throughout Joe’s body and mind.

Joe Turner was in hell. His foolish pride had jeopardized someone’s life. Yes, he was in hell and Mark was the Devil. Between the pain his body was feeling and the onslaught of mental energy Mark had blasted him with, much of Joe’s ability to reason was impaired. He began to mutter incomprehensively to himself through his agony.

In extreme contrast to the events happening on Campus, Rich, Willow and Wendy were enjoying a pleasant car ride on the Mass Pike. Wendy felt it wise to talk to Rich about Trish and Mark’s relationship in detail. Trish had told Wendy that Rich was a nice guy and through her limited experience with him, she knew the same. Wendy knew that this would make things easier on Trish when she spoke to Rich.

“I can see what you meant in the phone conversation about them. There was no way I could compete with Mark. He saved her and they were always there for each other, the way best friends should be,” said Rich wistfully thinking of the girl sitting next to him.

Willow picked up on Rich had said, but so had Wendy. “You’re right Rich. When you develop a special friendship with someone, you tend to get emotionally and sometimes even physically attached,” observed Wendy.

Willow blushed. So did Rich. So did Wendy.

“The point is that Trish and Mark were meant for each other. Despite this fact, Trish is still incredibly fond of you and feels awful that she hurt you,” said Wendy.

More silence before Wendy continued. “Rich, I don’t know you very well, but you seem like an incredible guy across the board. You’re smart, handsome, athletic and very tall,” she said, commenting on Rich’s 6″4 height as she laughed. “You need to find someone who understands you and who will appreciate you for who you are. As you are already becoming a celebrity, there are not many women who will fit that mold for you to choose from, but I promise you that there will be someone,” said Wendy earnestly.

Willow was shocked. This woman sitting behind her was more than dangerous. She was maniacally evil. Wendy had just sung Willow’s praises without even saying a word about her by name and violating the promise she gave Willow. Wendy also painted her into a corner. For the first time, she realized that what Wendy said was true. Part of her said, “Get it over with and marry him,” just to protect him from all the gold-diggers out there, hell, it was what she was doing for him already. Still, as much as she wanted to be the one for him, she realized that she would never be good enough for him. Then Rich’s reply did not make it any easier.

“Well Wendy, aside from one reluctant person, I don’t think any others exist. What should I do to try and change this person’s mind?” asked Rich.

Willow was in agony as she waited with dread at what the incredibly wise high school girl would say.

“Sorry Rich, I made a promise to that person that I would not talk about you to her,” said Wendy.

Willow gave a sigh of relief.

“I will tell you this, though. If you can’t get this person to change her mind, you should find someone else and make them sign a “pre-nup,” laughed Wendy.

Rich laughed really hard and afterward, briefly looked back at Wendy with a smile He really liked Wendy. She was sweet and incredibly wise. “Now if only Will would listen,” he thought.

Willow misinterpreted the look to be a romantic one. She knew what she was feeling. She was jealous. She understood that she should have no reason for this emotion, but she felt it. Her emotions were completely jumbled and she was not too happy with her brother’s girlfriend at the moment. She needed to find a way of changing the subject, and decided that it was Wendy’s turn to squirm.

“So Wendy, I heard the story from my brother, but I want to hear your side of how you met,” said Willow trying to put Wendy on the spot by having to admit that Trish and Mark were alone in his room helping him change.

Wendy knew what Willow was up to with her line of questioning. She knew Willow was trying to get Rich more upset with Wendy and Trish to draw Rich’s attention away from her. She figured out the perfect response, by omitting a few facts that were really not necessary to her answer. “When Mark, Trish and I got back to his dorm, the two of them played a nasty joke on me, though it turned out they had their reasons. When Mark opened his door, he and Trish scampered in and closed and locked it before I could get in myself. I then knocked on the door and they made a joke about Mark not being decent, which I was sure it was totally a lie just to bust on me. While I was standing in hallway vegging out, I heard a voice call out ‘Tricia,’ and then ‘Trish’, I looked up to see a really cute guy with a great smile and beautiful brown eyes. I told him ‘I’m not Trish” and then he just stared at me for a moment before saying that if Trish were a goddess, then I was ‘just another goddess or the Roman equivalent of the Greek’. That’s all it took,” smiled Wendy.

“Really?” asked Willow.

“His response showed that he was smart, witty and well read. With the way he looked, what more could a girl want.”

“What about Mark and Trish?” said Willow hoping to still catch Wendy.

“Well it turns out that it was their plan to get us together all along,” said Wendy.

Willow thought to herself. Man, she was slippery. There would be no way of pinning Wendy down without her looking like the bad guy.

“OK, how did you and Willow meet, Rich?”

“I had just moved into my dorm room freshman year and I was looking for the bathroom. I didn’t realize that I was on a co-ed floor so I nearly walked into the girls bathroom, until I heard a voice that said ‘That’s the girls’ room, dumbass. The boys room was down the hall’. Despite this, Willow took pity on a poor boy from Nebraska and helped to show me the ropes. We just always wound up doing things together. I’ve never felt so comfortable around anyone in my whole life,” admitted Rich.

“Me too,” thought Willow to herself.

Back on campus, the ambulance had come and taken Jason. Everyone agreed that Josie should ride in the back with him. Soon more ambulances would arrive to take several of the others away as well. Sarah and Alexis finally showed up and Mark and Trish explained what had happened to them and they called Elsie to explain that they were detained. Likewise, Mark called Kimmy and explained what had happened and soon, she arrived, before going to the hospital with Pete. After an hour of explaining to campus and Smithville police what had happened and promising that none of them would leave town, Mark, Trish Alexis and Sarah drove to the hospital to check on their friend.

When they arrived they met Josie, who explained that Jason had been badly hurt, but miraculously would get better. Apparently, the doctors had confirmed that Jason’s spleen had indeed ruptured, but somehow had healed itself. They were also amazed that several of his internal injuries had begun to heal. Jason also had a mild concussion and some bruised ribs, many bruises all over his body, but no broken bones. Mark had told the paramedics that he and Trish had performed CPR on Jason, but apparently his heartbeat and his breathing were normal. Mark again breathed a sigh of relief.

Soon the group was able to go in and visit Jason one at a time. Jason was happy to see Alexis, who was showing a lot of concern for him, as was Sarah. Then Mark came in and walked up to Jason’s bed shaking his head.

“You are such a dick, Martino.”

“Tell me something I don’t know,” grinned Jason, as he winced.

“You just don’t get it!” said Mark angrily.

“Easy, buddy. I know I should have said that I thought they were waiting for me,” admitted Jason.

“Damn straight! There is more to it than that though!” said Mark.

“What do you mean?” asked Jason.

“You may not have figured this out yet, but when you agreed to accept Josie, you agreed to accept me and everyone else,” stated Mark.

“Yeah, I have been feeling kind of strange around you over the past few days,” admitted Jason.

“What you are feeling is what I and everyone else, except Josie of course, are feeling about you. We are family, man! When we sealed the deal with Josie, I made you my brother. I love you the same way I love Marcus, Jeff and even Pete. Family is there for you when you need us. Don’t you ever put us through that again, or maybe I’ll kick your ass or let Trish or Josie do it for me!” said Mark quite seriously.

“I don’t doubt it. Josie told me what you three did to those guys. I’m sorry brother, next time I’ll trust you.”

“You better,” said Mark as his expression turned into a smile.

“So what really happened?” asked Jason.

Mark explained how they got to Jason just as Joe was being handed a baseball bat and the chaos that ensued. While Jason was impressed with what Mark and Trish had done he was shocked at the amount of violence that Josie inflicted on her ex-boyfriend.

“So she hit him with a lug wrench?”

“At least three times she said. Then she jumped on him and started pounding him in the face with her fists and scratching his face,” said Mark.

“I guess she really loves me.”

“We all love you,” said Mark.

Jason felt like crying. He never really felt close to his family. His dad was always pushing him to be a great athlete and his mom always pushed him to be a great student. Last year, his dad jumped on the great student bandwagon. The only person he felt he could communicate with was Kimmy, and she barely tolerated him a lot of the time. Now he had a new family. He felt a sense of belonging he had never felt before. As much as he hurt, he felt happy.

“It’s that way with family, I guess,” said Jason.

“It is,” replied Mark.