The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Title: Visual Feast

AN: This story is intended to be enjoyed as a fantasy by persons over the age of 18—similar actions if undertaken in real life would be deeply unethical and probably illegal. © MoldedMind, 2020.

* * *

Mindy hugged her sweater closer around herself. Night had come, and it had brought chill air with it, which her sweater was doing little to ward against.

She’d been late leaving the club, and hoped she would still be in time for the last bus home. Otherwise, she’d have to catch a cab. And while she was pretty sure she had enough cash left for the fare, she wasn’t entirely sure. And if she didn’t, it would be excruciatingly awkward to make the cab driver wait while she ran up to her apartment to make up the shortfall.

So she really hoped she would still be in time for the bus. She stole a glance at her watch, keeping her brisk pace. If the bus was on time and not early, she still had 15 minutes. She should be able to make it.

But only just in time— it was still multiple blocks to get there, and if she stayed with the sidewalk and followed the road, it was not the most direct route.

Just ahead, Mindy saw a laneway. She recognized it by the two buildings which bordered it on either side— she’d walked down it many times in daylight. And if her memory served her, it was a bit long, but it let out just a few paces in front of the bus stop.

If she took the laneway instead of following the road, she could shave at least five minutes off her time, if not seven or ten, depending how fast she walked.

She didn’t even think twice before shifting her course. Soon enough, she was trading the streetlights above the sidewalk for sparse electric signs above back doors, and dim sconces. It was still lit enough for her to see where she was walking, but compared to the street, it was much darker. Shadow ate in at the edges of everything.

And instead of the light dispersing the shadow, it was more like the shadow was encroaching on the little dots of light, like a predator with hungry eyes. And though she’d walked this lane during daytime, the shadow was making it a stranger to her, shifting familiar landmarks into unrecognizable oddities.

It didn’t matter. She only needed to be able to see a few steps ahead at a time. And she was keeping her momentum— she would be out the other end of the alley in five minutes for sure.

Up ahead, she saw a new source of light. It was centered in the alley, so clearly could not be attached to a wall. And it looked much brighter than the dim points of brightness that filled the rest of the lane.

She squinted, walked faster. Whatever it was, she would step around it and keep walking on her way.

The light grew brighter, and spread out, pressing the shadow back as she stepped closer. When she had gotten close enough, she could see that it was from a cheap electric lantern, which hung from— a cart.

She had been so focussed on the light ahead that she had completely overlooked the cart which it was suspended from— and overlooked the person standing next to it. It was a clearly a woman, though she didn’t dress to show it. Her hair was cut right down to its roots, so that it barely came out of her head, and she wore a bulky black coat which mostly obscured her form, except where it gave in the middle and flashed her tight white shirt underneath.

The jacket looked like it was leather, and the woman stood with her hands in her pockets next to the cart in a relaxed stance. Like she was waiting.

The woman was looking at her, watching her crossing the last distance to her cart. Mindy thought maybe the woman’s eyes had been on her the whole time.

Like she was waiting for Mindy.

Mindy looked away, looking past. She wouldn’t make eye contact as she stepped past the cart— and who set up carts in alleyways in the middle of the night, anyway? She would just ignore the woman, and her set-up, and make it out the other side of the laneway, and catch her bus.

But just as Mindy was stepping past the cart, the woman spoke, in a gruff voice. “Did you want to buy something?”

Mindy ignored her. A few more steps and she would be past.

“Shame, really. I have a new piece of merchandise.”

Something flashed in the corner of Mindy’s eye. It was brighter than all the other lights around her combined. For a second, she tought it would leave a permanent mark on that part of her retina. It flashed so bright that it stopped Mindy where she stood, and unable to stop herself, she turned to face the cart and its strange owner, to see what it was.

It was a crystal, and the woman held it out in her hand. This one was turquoise, but—oh, it was such a vibrant turquoise. It was more vivid than a fresh coat of paint in the same color, more vivid than ocean waves or ocean skies. It caught the light of the electric lantern hanging above, and seemed to absorb it, and radiate it back out in its same shade, washing the colors of the woman’s skin away to paint it in a slightly more diluted version of that blue.

There was a chain at one end of the crystal, and after holding it in her palm for a minute, the woman drew the crystal up by its chain, so it hung between her and Mindy.

Once it was suspended, and the light could get through it from every angle, the radiating color it sent out grew that much more potent. The crystal almost seemed to spin in place, as if the light was patiently turning it. It had become like a lamp of its own, projecting out that pure turquoise color.

Mindy stared in wonder. “That’s it? That’s what you sell? Turquoise crystals?” She couldn’t look from the crystal to the woman.

“Not turquoise crystals. Crystals. I have them in every color. Some in colors that don’t exist anywhere else in the world, some in common colors. But even in common colors, they depict the shade so beautifully that it puts all other palettes to shame. I’ve got hundreds of them in this cart. This is just my newest acquisition.”

The crystal was still slowly turning in place, glowing with that incandescent turquoise glow. Mindy reached out to touch it, but the woman pulled it back. “Touching’s only for customers.” Her voice was sharp.

“How much?” Mindy asked.

“$100,” the woman said.

That shook Mindy from her reverie, and she looked back to the woman. “$100?!”

The woman shrugged. “It’s not easy to get hold of crystals like these. That’s built into the price.”

She may have had enough for bus fare and cab fare, but Mindy definitely didn’t have enough to spend $100 dollars on a crystal— the bus fare!

The memory had her hastily pulling back her sweater sleeve to look at her watch.

She’d missed the last bus. Now, there was nothing for her to do but to take a cab. The crystal seemed less enchanting in the face of that knowledge.

“I don’t have $100,” Mindy said. “I can’t be your customer, so I may as well not waste your time. Good night.”

“Now, now,” the woman said, catching Mindy’s arm. “Touching is for paying customers. But looking is free. I can show you my other colors too— but I’ll take them out in a minute. I haven’t finished telling you about this crystal yet.”

Mindy wanted to protest, but then her eyes landed on the crystal again. “Tell me about it,” she said quietly.

“All these crystals are meant to be meditation aids,” the woman explained. “Each one is meant to help you get to a different place in your mind. For example, this one takes you to tropical waves and sand beaches. When you look at it, you can feel the waves in your mind, flowing, coaxing the shoreline to recede…”

Mindy looked closer at the crystal. If she looked just right, she thought she could see waves inside the glass, and sky above them, the sea and sky only distinguishable by the movement of the water. And the light that came out of the crystal was not beams anymore, but ripples— water rippling out from a central point, washing its way forward to reach the other objects in the alley.

And she could feel turquoise waves over her skin, and against her body like she was the cliff, and in her mind. It felt like being underwater— it felt like floating on her back on the water’s surface. The waves held and caressed her. She could feel them rippling in her mind as well as everywhere else. And they all matched that bright turquoise blue.

The waves were in the crystal, they were in the light that emanated from the crystal, they washed their way through empty air to reach her, and they covered every part of her body, and they filled her mind— and everything matched. The world felt suddenly very right. She was third in a matching set— turquoise, turquoise, turquoise. The crystal, the air filled with its beams— her.

Her mouth had fallen open without her conscious awareness. She could only stare and feel all of it washing into her. She had never known peace like this.

But then the woman was placing the crystal back in her hand, and closing her palm over it. It startled Mindy to have the connection severed. She felt disoriented without the color there to look at.

The woman was bending down, sliding open the door of her cart to reach inside. “Don’t worry,” she said. “I’m only getting another one. There are so many colors to see— we shouldn’t stay too long with any specific one.”

This alleviated some of Mindy’s confusion, but she doubted that any color could compare to the first. She felt she had somehow come to belong to it— it was kindred to her, she was part of it. That loyalty, that allegiance could not easily be transferred to some lesser color.

But the woman came back to standing, and held out her hand again. This crystal was orange.

Mindy’s breath was knocked from her long. She’d been wrong— this was better than the turquoise crystal, if only because this was the one in front of her now. Her allegiance shifted in a second.

This one was orange like flame, orange like petals from a flower, or streaks in the sunset. It was the purest orange she’d ever seen, but the lines and flaws in the rock gave it an almost mirror like quality. At the corners of the crystal it was orangest of all, like an orange mirror in an orange guilded frame. She could see through it and out into the world, could see an orange mirror-world through the filter of the crystal.

It was already hanging, but she didn’t know when that had happened. The glow was inside it again, pouring out.

“This is different than the last one,” the woman was saying. “This is the warm late summer sun bearing down on your skin, baking into you. It’s the heat pouring out of a fire. This is true warmth.”

Mindy agreed. She could stand outside naked in the winter holding this crystal, looking into it, and she would not be cold. She felt the heat everywhere in her body, on her face, in her mind. To have heat in her mind felt different than holding waves there. Everything seemed vaguely fuzzy now, like the strong buzz off an alcoholic drink. The edges of the world were smudged, but she didn’t care, because all she wanted was to curl up inside the feeling. All she wanted was to bask in that orangey comfort.

She watched for awhile— she was not standing in the alley. She was lying in the sun, and the sunlight was tanning her skin. She was in front of a fire hot enough that it could blister her skin from a distance. When the sunlight came down to find her, it didn’t find a girl, but only more of itself. She was a beam of orange-gold sunlight now. She was a beam of sunshine, and she burned in the most pleasant way.

Then this crystal, too, was withdrawn. Mindy felt disoriented still, but she was not worried this time. There would be another color— another crystal. She could wait.

The third crystal the woman brought up was red— such a deep red. The woman did not speak this time to describe it, but she didn’t need to. Mindy understood exactly what she was seeing: pure, distilled erotic energy held in one stone. This feeling was different in her body, in her mind too. Everything in the world had been sharpened to a painful point, but everything turned around and pointed back to the hunger she could feel growing in her deepest inner places.

It was a parallel hunger that grew in two places at once— from the deepest recesses of her mind out. From the deepest recesses of her womb out.

It spread, beckoned on the crystal, and the light it gave off. It spread, generating greater ecstasy in her until she had just reached the poing of surrendering herself to that ecstasy— and then this two was withdrawn.

Time began to bleed together. There were dozens, maybe hundreds of crystals and Mindy lost count. But all of them were a feast for her eyes.

She didn’t think any of the colors existed anywhere else in the world but this cart— they were the purest color, and each took her to a different place in her mind. She drank them in greedily, her eyes always looking ahead to the next, all was looking for a new variation. And the vendor never disappointed. She seemed to have endless number, and she produced them all generously, moving Mindy’s mind from place to place with color alone.

It was the sound of the woman closing the door of her cart sharply that brought Mindy back to herself. She looked around for a minute— it was lighter now. Had she stood there nearly all night?

But what was more alarming to her was that the woman was clearly packing up to go. She had taken the electric lantern down from its perch, and she was turning a key in the door of her cart.

Mindy leaned forward on her heels. “Will you be here again tomorrow night?”

“I never come to the same place twice,” the woman said. “I can’t tell you where I’ll be.”

Panic surged in Mindy’s heart. It was a big city— what were the odds she would ever be able to find this cart again? And the thought of going the rest of her life without ever seeing those colors again was unthinkable.

“Well, do you ever meet people in their homes to sell?”

“No,” the woman said, but she had a curious look in her eye now. “You really would like to find me again?”

Mindy nodded eagerly.

The woman reached into the pocket of her leather coat, and pulled out a white piece of paper. “Go to that address tomorrow night. Wait for me there. I don’t tend to stay settled in one place— I’ve got a long list of places I cycle between, so that’s only good for tomorrow night. I won’t be there the night after next.”

Mindy nodded again quickly. “I’ll be there waiting.”

“Then I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” the woman said, and pushed her cart away.

* * *

Mindy was lucky the previous night had been a Friday, because she hadn’t gotten home until six in the morning. Luckily, as it turned out, she did have enough for cab fare. And once she’d gotten herself back into her house, she’d closed her blinds and collapsed into bed to sleep eight hours straight.

This had meant she’d woken up around two in the afternoon. Which was much closer to evening than six in the morning, but not nearly close enough. She had to wait until at least six before she could leave. She looked up how to get to the address on the card the woman had given her, but it was straightforward enough. After she’d done that, that left only the waiting.

It made for a long day, waiting for the evening; even though it was only four hours that she had to wait through, it felt like a full sixteen hour day.

But a strange thing happened to her. It was like she’d awoken with new eyes. She could see the colors of her home in a different light— she could see how drab each one was compared to true color, which she had seen for the first only the night before.

But despite their drabness, each one held a link to the memory of their true counterpart. So she could look at the turquoise hand towel hanging from her stove, and in her mind see the real turquoise crystal. She could look at her red couch, and in her mind see the red crystal.

Soon enough, she had retreated entirely to her mind— inside her head she could cycle through all the colors again. It was more satisfying than looking at the pale imitators that filled her apartment. But she knew she wouldn’t be truly sated until she was looking at the crystals again. And that only made the impatience of waiting even harder.

Still, it was better than nothing. And it moved the hands of the clock a little faster. It moved them fast enough that eventually she was there: at the moment of departure.

She left the house in a rush, and didn’t look back.

* * *

Mindy arrived in the designated spot. It had taken her a little asking around, but the card had led her to yet another alley, and among the many doorways that opened onto it, a specific wooden plank door. She’d confirmed with the shop owner next door when he’d stepped out into the alley for a cigarette— this was the back end of the building that bore the address on her card. The front was another storefront, but it was currently vacant.

On the card, the woman had written “around the back,” so Mindy was sure this was the right place. She stepped to the door, and tried the handle. She found it was open.

She thought she’d definitely prefer waiting inside, so she stepped through and entered.

The room on the other side of the door was small, but clean. There were hooks all along the walls, but nothing on them. The only other thing in the room was a cot with a nice spread and pillow. She seated herself on it cross legged, and she waited.

She was so full of anticipation then that it froze her in place. Time seemed to drag even more slowly than before. Mindy never bothered to look at her watch— it would only disappoint her.

At last there was a knock on the door.

“It’s Mindy,” she said in response, hoping desperately that the woman had finally arrived.

“Close your eyes before I come in.”

Mindy did. She recognized the woman’s voice even after only one night. She heard the door open, and quick steps across the floor, until she could feel the woman was standing next to her.

“I’m putting a blindfold on you just for a minute. I don’t want you peeking.”

She felt the fabric settle over the bridge of her nose, could feel it brushing her eyelids. It was slack for a second, until the woman pulled it tight, and tied it at the back of her head.

She sat with the blindfold on, still waiting. She strained her ears to try and guess what the woman was doing. All she could make out was a lot of indistinct rustling.

At last the woman came to stand above her again, and her fingers expertly undid the knot, taking the blindfold away.

Mindy exhaled.

She had hung the crystals from the walls.

Clearly, in that cart she kept black felt jewellery displays. They may have been meant to display necklaces, but they worked just as well for crystals, and each display settled onto the wall hooks, so the room had become covered in black felt. And each black display had dozens and dozens of lips to suspend crystals from. There were hundreds, on every wall of the room, at every height. There was nowhere Mindy could look that didn’t have crystals, apart from the floor and ceiling.

The woman, who was still standing over Mindy, reached up and pulled a chain above her head.

The room was flooded with light— the crystals came to light. It was like stepping into a cave— each one shimmered and caught the light in its own way. And each shade was a feeling, each shade was a place in Mindy’s mind she longed to go, but there were so many shades and places that it was like she was rapidly jumping from one to the next. She was in all places at once, in some kind of strange bleeding point between dimensions where she could inhabit fifty spaces at once.

Each crystal called her eye, asking her to pay it special attention and ignore the rest. But just when she did, another would glint in her periphery and draw her attention. There was too many. She wanted to give herself to each one but they were all fighting for her. It was such an abundance there was no way to sift it. All she could do was just let it wash through her mind, and let it take her where it wanted her to go.

There was a hand on her shoulder then. “I’ll come back in a few hours. I have some things to do.”

Mindy barely registered the words, and by the time the door closed (and a lock clicked into place that she didn’t hear), she may as well have been deaf. She could feel the feeling of each shade, she could go to the location each held inside, and belong to it just for a second. But then a new one would catch her up. It was like being buffeted around by waves; a state of complete chaos, and no stability. But she gave herself over to the feeling. Each shade had so much to show her— so much to tell her. And even locations she’d visited before had new facets she’d previously overlooked.

Even though it was impossible to keep her attention in the same place for long, she appreciated that all the crystals were available to her, left in the same place. She didn’t have to be limited by the woman’s time table, didn’t have to fear them being taken away and put back into the cart. They were here for her, here with her to teach her the things she needed to know, and no one would take them away.

After what felt like no time at all, the door was opening again, and the woman had come back. Mindy’s eyes went to her when she stepped into the room, and over her shoulder she could see that it had gotten very dark outside.

“I’ll put the blindfold back on you, now, while I take them down,” she said, and Mindy was blinded to the room. There was more rustling, and when the blindfold came off again, the walls were bare, except for the hooks.

“I hope you enjoyed that extended display,” The woman said. “But you didn’t bring a hundred dollars, did you?”

Mindy realized she had not. She had thought only of seeing the crystals again. It had never occurred to her that she could have bought one.

“No,” she said, with a sinking feeling.

“Then I think this is the end of our display for the night. Thank you for your interest. Have a safe trip home.”

The woman turned to open the door, but Mindy caught onto her. Her fingers bunched around a grip of black leather. “Wait,” she said. “Where will you be tomorrow night?” There was urgency in her voice.

The woman turned to look back at her, again with that curious look in her eyes. “You want to come a third night in a row?”

Mindy nodded quickly. She wouldn’t let this slip through her fingers— she wouldn’t let this woman and her crystals disappear back into the night they had emerged from.

The woman turned all the way around to face her, and Mindy let go of her jacket. “Alright, then,” she said. She fished into her pocket, and pulled out another card. This time it was a business card from a motel.

“Just go to the front desk and ask for Rainn’s room.”

Mindy looked up at her. “Rainn’s?”

The woman raised an eyebrow to her.

“Oh,” Mindy said, blushing a little in embarrassment. “That’s your name.”

“Come in the evening again,” Rainn said. “They’ll show you to my room. And you can wait for me there again.”

Then Rainn abruptly pulled open the door. “Out, now.” She said. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Struck dumb by Rainn’s quick movement, Mindy only nodded and passed through the door.

* * *

When Mindy got to the motel the next night, they did indeed show her to Rainn’s room when she asked. It was room 14, at the end of one of the halls. Rainn had apparently asked for an extra room key, and left it at the desk for Mindy, so when the clerk brought her to the door, Mindy thanked them, put the key card in the door, and stepped into the room.

It was bigger than the room from the night before, and the bed was a double instead of a single cot, but it was still on the smaller side as far as motel rooms went.

As she had the night before, Mindy once again sank down to sitting on the bed. This time she sat and waited, wondering how Rainn could possibly display the crystals in here. There were no hooks on the walls— there only one painting. And even if Rainn took the picture down and used the nail, she could only get one felt display up. There were no other hangings in the room.

Time passed. It dragged. Waiting for Rainn’s arrival was even harder that night than the night before. Mindy felt like her skin was itching, and she was jittery where she sat in place. She wanted to see the crystals again— she wanted to drink in that feast of colors once more.

At last, the door opened, and Rainn was there. She gave Mindy a nod of acknowledgement, and crossed to the the chair across from the bed. She shrugged out of her leather coat, and draped it over the back of it. She was wearing a loose, white button-up shirt underneath, with the sleeves rolled up to her upper arms. She reached back into the pocket of her coat, and pulled out one crystal.

It was a clear crystal, with no color. The complete lack of pigment made Mindy’s heart fall, and this must have shown on her face, because Rainn said, “Don’t worry, this is better than any of the ones you’ve already seen.”

Rainn sat herself in the chair, crossing one leg over the other. “It has no color of its own— that means all existing colors can pass through or enter it.” She began turning the crystal over in her hand, and then passing it from one hand to the other. Mindy’s brow furrowed in confusion. With Rainn handling the crystal like that, Mindy couldn’t see it at all.

But it was as if the other woman had read her mind. “You don’t need to see them anymore. They’ve burrowed into your mind. Turquoise.”

She felt the waves— that sense of absolute peace and calm. It was like that turquoise light was bathing her skin again, like she was drifting in the ocean, like all her thoughts had gone underwater.

“Lie back and close your eyes,” Rainn said, and the waves carried her through her task. They rolled over her, easing her down until she was lying on her bed, and they washed over her face until her eyelids had sunk to closing. “You can feel the colors more powerfully this way.”

Mindy waited, drifting in the water.

“Emerald,” Rainn said next, and the waves were gone. She remembered the way this color felt too; it felt like roots taking hold of her body and sending up sprouts. It felt like everything inside her becoming entwined with branches and saplings and leaves. And all of it pulled her back down, rooting her in deeply to the earth so she could not move. She was hopelessly constricted in that greenness, tangled in inescapable vines. But there was something so comforting in being held so tightly.

“Ruby,” Rainn said, and she felt that red again. That red which was pure erotic desire distilled into a shade. That feeling which was the sprouting from a central seed, that started from a pinprick point and grew out to be all encompassing. She was breathing heavily on the bed, and even with her eyes closed she had perfect awareness of the room and everything in it— including Rainn, who could make her feel these things, and so competently steer her through them. The room was in painful detail. The air held an electric charge. She could feel the fiber of the blanket against the skin that was showing, felt the fiber of her clothing against the skin that wasn’t.

She could feel her sweat beading up, and though she was perfectly still, her body was aching to move with the feeling. The pleasure had grown from such small beginning, in both her mind and her center, but now it filled everything. It took up all the space inside her, and though her eyes were closed all she could see in her mind’s eye was that red. She could only think in that color, could only speak or understand in that color. It was its own language.

And everything in the room, even though she could only feel that it was there and couldn’t see… every sensation against the surface of her skin… the sharpness of everything only drew her back to the same feeling, only encouraged her to return her focus to it. It was like a magnet inside her, drawing her attention— and every other detail she notice only turned her back around to face it. Even though it was inside her, so close inside, she felt she was at once held within it and outside it, being drawn in closer.

“How are you doing, Mindy?” Rainn asked, and there was a knowing smirk in her voice. “Do you think you can handle more?”

Mindy worried she wouldn’t be able to remember how to speak. She worried she would never remember how to speak. But the words came out of her without her choosing. “Yes, please.”

“Emerald and ruby together,” Rainn returned. And then Mindy felt something she had never felt before.

She felt the green reaching through her, rooting down and binding her in place. But it was not rooting into her with vines. Now, its medium was pleasure. It rooted the pleasure deep inside her, in the deepest hidden corners no external penetration could ever hope to touch, and it grew out, and twined around everything in its path. She was bound in pleasure, and pleasure was rooting into her muscles, and into her mind and her thoughts. And all of it was sticking her in place on the bed, and reaching down for the earth to keep her completely trapped. And all of it was red.

The feeling was too much, and even held in her invisible restraints she shook in the most powerful orgasm of her life, tears pooling in her eyes. It lasted forever— and Mindy realized it wouldn’t stop until Rainn told her to see a different color. The tears pooled hotter, her body shook more violently. It never seemed to crest. Each contraction of orgasm only seemed to send the roots deeper— only seemed to send up new sprouts to ensnare her.

After a long time, Rainn said, “Clear,” and there were no colors left. Mindy was just Mindy. She opened her eyes, and shakily sat up on the bed.

It felt bizarre to be unbound again: the space felt wrong. She tried not to focus on that.

Rainn was still sitting in the chair, one leg crossed over the other, looking extremely casual as she sat there. She still held the clear crystal in one hand, but once Mindy was sitting up, she reached back and slipped it again into her coat pocket.

“I hope you enjoyed that more private display,” she said, and Mindy’s eyes widened when she made to stand.

“Are you leaving?” The idea shocked her.

“Yes, I thought I would,” Rainn said. “I told you I like to move around. I only booked this room for one night and already paid upfront for the booking. I often leave places like this in the middle of the night.”

“Don’t you sleep?”

“Usually not in places where I’ve spent hours of my time awake,” Rainn returned. She was shrugging into her coat, straightening the lapels of it.

Mindy felt the fear again— this couldn’t go, this couldn’t slip away from her. She wouldn’t let it slip away.

“Take me with you,” she said, and Rainn gave her a skeptical look.

“I can’t commit to staying in one place for more than a night. You think I want to lug around a piece of human cargo?”

“Then give me a way to reach you,” Mindy added, scrambling to the edge of the bed. “Or— come to my house every night. I’ll sit up waiting for you all day long. I’ll leave my front door unlocked. I need to feel this again.”

Rainn looked at her for a long minute, saying nothing. Then she gave a jerk of her chin. “What’s your address?”

It started to fall from Mindy’s lips, but Rainn shook her head in exasperation. “Write it down.”

Mindy scrambled for the bedside table. She pulled the motel stationary to the edge of it, and took up the motel pen and scribbled the address almost faster than she could think.

She tore it off the pad, and held it out to Rainn, who took it calmly from her. She looked down at it for a minute, then repeated it outloud.

“That’s it,” Mindy affirmed.

Rainn folded the scrap and put it in her pocket too. “Maybe I’ll come and maybe I won’t. But if I do I’ll come when I feel like it.”

And she was again turning to leave the room. But there was something in her shoulders that Mindy could see, and she knew.

Rainn would come.

* * *