The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Title: Trick

AN: This story is intended to be enjoyed as a fantasy by persons over the age of 18—similar actions if undertaken in real life would be deeply unethical and probably illegal. © MoldedMind, 2021.

* * *

Suzy turned the page in her book, but only had a second to read the line at the top of the next page. At the end of that second, she was distracted from her reading by the sound of a voice calling out to her.

“Suzy,” Nora addressed; and Suzy looked up to her.

Suzy had taken some time to stop in to her library branch. As it was evening, she was practically the only soul there— apart from the lone librarian on duty at the front desk. But since Suzy had ascended to the second floor, said librarian was far away.

She watched Nora coming around the end of a row of bookshelves. Suddenly, Suzy was very aware of how far she was from another person who wasn’t Nora. It didn’t scare her exactly… but there was something about Nora that… was a little unsettling.

Suzy didn’t see her all that often, but they did live in the same neighborhood. They were more distant neighbors, since their houses weren’t right next to each other’s. Sharing a neighborhood, and living a few streets over from one another meant the two of them crossing paths inevitably happened.

When it did, Suzy always felt this same way: a little unsettled, a little trepidatious; and just a hint of interest. Just a slight draw.

The awareness that she and Nora were likely alone on the second floor did make Suzy a little uncomfortable. But there was another part of her, further back, that was a bit electrified by the same information.

“Nora,” Suzy said, as Nora approached where she was sitting in an armchair. Out of politeness, she eased her book closed, but kept a finger between both covers of the book to mark her place.

Nora took the chair beside Suzy without asking. Suzy keep her place in the book.

“Did you feel like some late night reading too?” Suzy asked. “I like to come in the evenings sometimes, to read things I’m not ready to commit to checking out. It’s so quiet.”

“I didn’t come to read,” Nora said. “I remembered that you liked to come here in the evenings, and I was looking for you.”

Suzy felt a shiver slip through her, in response to Nora’s strangeness. To come deliberately to a library branch in the evening with no intention of reading was strange enough.

But Nora remembering Suzy’s habit of haunting the branch in the late hours of the day was stranger. If Suzy wracked her mind, she could remember maybe mentioning her preference to Nora once, maybe twice. She really didn’t talk to Nora all that often; and even when she did, it was never that in-depth. For Nora to remember such a throwaway comment was just the kind of bizarre Suzy had come to expect of her.

Strangest of all was the thought that Nora was deliberately seeking Suzy out. What was she looking for? Why?

“You were looking for me,” Suzy repeated, inflecting her tone with a touch of amusement. She generally tried to mask her initial reactions to Nora; out of politeness, and partly for the sake of self-protection.

“That’s right,” Nora said, unbothered. “I wanted to show you something.”

Suzy kept her lips pressed together to prevent herself from repeating Nora’s words back to her a second time. “What is it you want to show me?” She asked. She was still holding on to her place in the book like it was an anchor to reality. The reality that had existed before Nora had show up out of nowhere, and the reality that would exist once again after Nora left.

“Well, it’s along the same lines as what we were talking about the other day,” Nora said. It was a pretty indirect answer, which might have annoyed Suzy, if it was coming from someone Suzy actually expected straightforwardness from. But she had no expectation like that for Nora, so it was no annoyance.

“You remember,” Nora prompted. “It was only a brief conversation in passing at the grocery store. I was giving some change in coins to the teller, you were in line behind me, and I gave one of the coins a little flip between my fingers before I handed it over. You made a comment on it, and I mentioned to you that I used to practice manipulating coins with my fingers, because I used to like to do magic tricks.”

Suzy had frowned as Nora recounted the story, but now that she’d reached the end of it, it was actually sounding familiar to her. “I think I remember.”

“Then I said I hadn’t done tricks with coins for ages,” Nora continued. “You seemed somewhat interested in what I was saying, but unfortunately I’d given the last of my change to the teller, and I had somewhere else to be. But I made change today by chance when I stopped to buy a coffee, and I remembered our interaction. I could show you a coin trick now, since you seemed interested the other day.”

It struck Suzy that Nora had taken the whole grocery store interaction much more seriously than Suzy had herself. But it was true that Suzy had been curious about Nora’s claims.

“Alright,” Suzy said. “Show me a coin trick, then.”

Nora nodded to herself, and then reached into her purse, and withdrew her wallet. She dug in it for a second, before withdrawing a nicely sized, round coin.

“Just watch carefully,” Nora instructed. “I’ll hold it up close where you can see.”

Nora had balanced the coin on the pad of her thumb, holding the other edge of it in place with the tip of her index finger. She positioned her hand only an inch or two back from Suzy’s face, so her view was quite clear.

Then Nora raised her other hand, and carefully, with just the use of her finger tips, carefully spun the coin in place.

There was nothing strange about that— except that the coin was heads on both sides.

“So you have a trick coin,” Suzy countered. “I’ve seen magic tricks before, Nora. I’m not a kid.”

Nora gave a nimble shift of her fingers, so the coin was instead lying in her palm. “Pick it up and take a look at it yourself,” she invited.

Suzy gave a roll of her eyes. “If you didn’t just swap coins when you shifted your fingers like that,” she grumbled. But she took up the coin all the same, and carefully inspected it. There was only a head on one side of it: it was a regular coin.

“You can put it back in my hand yourself,” Nora said. “Just slip it back between my fingers— there’s no possible way I could switch it without you catching.”

It took some concentration to get the coin back into the position that Nora had had it, but Suzy managed. “There, you placed the coin yourself,” Nora commented. “You know I can’t have swapped it, and you’ve inspected it and seen it was not a fake. Now watch again.”

Nora set the coin to spin, guiding it in its rotation with her other hand once again. As before, each time it spun, it only showed the face with the head on it.

This was becoming increasingly disconcerting to Suzy. “But how can that be?” She sputtered. “It has two faces— I saw that it did!”

Nora gave a sly smile. “A magician doesn’t reveal her secrets,” she said. “But maybe, if you watch a little longer, you’ll see the secret yourself.”

That suggestion seemed to give Suzy a keenness. There had to be an obvious trick she was missing— something she was overlooking. She wanted to watch and find it, to be able to call Nora on it.

But as she watched, the coin only endlessly showed her its same, single face, inspite of the fact that it was clearly making a full rotation under the guidance of Nora’s fingers.

Still Suzy watched: and the library floor around them was quite but for their combined breathing, and Suzy’s focus on the spinning coin before her only increased.

It only kept showing her the same thing, endlessly— which only served to make her feel more confused by the irrationality of it. And somehow that confusion only intensified her focus, which only led her to pay closer attention— and by consequence, feel even more confused. It was like a feedback loop.

At some point the book fell from her hands onto the floor, forgotten in the face of the strange paradox Nora was presenting to her. But that detail was lost, along with the minutes and hours that evening whose passing Suzy became indifferent to as she sat, watching Nora spin the coin.

It was only much later that Nora finally stopped the coin spinning, and put it carefully back in her wallet. But the confusion underlined by paradoxical sharp focus did not leave Suzy, and so when Nora asked Suzy if she’d like to stop by Nora’s house on the way home, for Nora to show her another, more complicated trick, it was the easiest thing in the world for Suzy to agree.

The rest of the night after that was as forgotten as the dropped book on the library’s second floor.

* * *