The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Susan Takes Charge part 1

By Susan Bailey

“Help me if you can, I’m feeling down.
And I do appreciate your being ’round.
Help me get my feet back on the ground.
Won’t you please, please help me?”
—The Beatles, “Help!

Hi, my name’s Susan Bailey. It’s been a while; how’ve you been? A number of things have changed for me since then.

I’m still the Permanent Third member of Troy and Julie Equals’ marriage, that hasn’t changed. Although, since we’ve been spending more time in San Finzione, lately, I’ve had to explain it a bit less. When we’re in Seattle, people don’t seem to grasp the idea of how and why our situation works. When we’re in San Finzione, people just say “Oh, they have a French arrangement,” and everyone gets it.

They’ve taught me the secret of mind-control, although Troy’s ethics lessons about it are a “for life” deal. They’re aware and supportive of the fact that, whether through a hyperactive imagination or borderline mental issues, there is a trio of women living in my head; two of whom are best described as aspects of my personality, and that the third makes me some kind of psychic. Yeah, I know psychics are bullshit, but two years ago, I’d have said the same thing about mind-control. I’m not out to make a believer of anyone; there’s this thing I can do, and I don’t have anything to sell you. Make up your own mind what it is, I’m calling it “psychic.” It’ll make more sense later.

Also, I’m no longer an employee of Inner Claire-ity Yoga Studios. After this thing that happened last year, I became what’s referred to as “independently wealthy.” It’s a common side-effect of being a loved one of Troy’s. I parted with the company on good terms. Claire accepted my oral resignation graciously, with a smile on her face. Then I got out from under her desk, finished out the day, and we concluded my exit interview in the showers after closing. She still comes by the house. Not as much lately, but that’s only because she’s been traveling back-and-forth to Mander Island a bit.

Troy and Julie aren’t here right now. (Oh, “here” is San Finzione, not our house in Federal Way like usual.) I’m sure you saw the news about Contessa Helena de San Finzione giving birth to twin boys about a month ago. Yeah, they’re great little guys; Vincenzo and Byroni, love ’em. I’m sure you’ve seen them in the news with her lately. But have you noticed how it’s been all long shots or really short sound bites since then? Well, my unique position as a friend of La Familia Royale causes me to know a bit more about that than the average person.

Those are the Royal Twins, all right; but that isn’t Helen you’ve been seeing them with. That’s Rita Delvecchio, star of a sketch comedy show in San Finzione and the world’s only authorized Contessa Helena de San Finzione impersonator. (As far as we know, the world’s only UNauthorized Contessa Helena de San Finzione impersonator is a drag act in Berlin whose rendition of Reba McEntire’s version of “Fancy,” Helen says is “too damn moving” to send a Cease & Desist order.) Rita’s impression of Helen and her resemblance in the right makeup are so strong that Helen sometimes hires Rita to appear at events that she doesn’t want to go to but needs to show up at least. Since Helen has been missing since a couple days after they were born, Rita’s been filling in for her in public.

Well, not entirely “missing.” I’ve known where she is because of the aforementioned psychic thing. It’s this connection I have with her; one of the three women in my head that I mentioned is able to reach out to Helen. So far, just her, and mostly when one of us really needs it. So, I knew where she was and what she was doing there. The worst part about it was that I could have told our mutual loved ones who know about our connection when they came to me and asked. I could have told them “She’s living as a call girl in Paris, and here’s where she’s staying.” Two dozen of La Squadra de Ultimados, San Finzione’s elite Special Forces and Helen, Maria, and now the twins’ personal guard; would have descended on Helen’s location, probably snuck up and knocked her out before she could use her own ability to command them to go home and had her on a plane back to San Finzione within a couple hours.

Why I couldn’t is a bit complicated. Helen and I got off to a horrible start because, before I knew how to do it myself, she used mind control on me and it caused problems with us. So, in addition to the idea that using this thing between us to track her down when she wants to be alone would have felt like violating a trust, it also felt to me like a petty revenge for something we’ve moved past. (And I’m no one to comment on anyone else’s mental issues. Helen needed to get away, more than anything in the world. I absolutely understand that.)

As a result, this past month of hanging around a castle hasn’t been as much fun as you’d think. Even fewer people know about our connection than know about the fact that the four of us can control minds. The ones who know also know about my past with Helen and have tried to be understanding about my reasons why I couldn’t just tell them everything. But of course, there was some tension involved. Troy and Julie understood completely why I didn’t feel comfortable telling them any more than that she was alive and didn’t want to be found. He’s a smart guy, and eventually figured it out on his own. Maria and Ramirez wanted me to tell, and I’d heard that Capitan Ortega was ready to put me under the hot lights and sweat it out of me before Troy had a word with him. Things have relaxed now that he and Julie have found Helen and are bringing her home after the weekend.

That leaves me, as the only person remaining in San Finzione who can both control minds and speak Italian, to deal with La Familia de San Finzione. You see, Contessa Helena de San Finzione was born Helen Parker in Anchorage, Alaska. Her late husband, Count Vincenzo Ramon de San Finzione, forever does he reign in our hearts; (It’s customary to say that when you talk about him. Helen says he deserved it. Look him up some time, he was a great guy.) had been the patriarch of a once-proud royal family. He’d done so well for them and his country, in fact, that his children and grandchildren became idlers and fell prey to the excesses of the idle rich. Helen told me that something he said to her in private once was “Lamborghini and Cocaine have killed more San Finziones than the entire Renaissance.” It was so bad that by the time she met him, the royal line was down to the Count and his great-granddaughter, Lady Maria.

Oh, there are other members of La Familia de San Finzione, but Maria was the last of the royal line before the twins were born. Because Helen refuses to remarry unless she can somehow marry Troy, (Most of Helen’s rules have an “except for Troy” clause.) they’re still Vincenzo’s heirs, bear the San Finzione name, and go into the line of succession after Maria. This is good for everyone, because from what Helen told me, if she hadn’t happened to have the power to control minds to keep them in check after he died, the country would have been torn apart by La Familia’s petty political schemes and power plays.

They’re the kind of people that you hear so many bad things about that you can’t possibly believe them all, then you meet them and find out they hadn’t even scratched the surface. Someone cruel, who didn’t know that Helen was seriously trying to make amends for the things she’s done in her past, might say she fits right in. To Maria, though, they’re still her family. Maria is a dear friend as well. She’s as much of a warm, genuine, friendly person as she appears on TV. That makes her a great friend, but all La Familia see is a target or potential pawn. She’s not entirely; I mean, she’s had The Count and Helen’s guidance her whole life. She even filled in as Contessa-in-Reggenza last year after Helen was attacked, and then a couple times during her pregnancy. (They put a Transfer of Power ceremony together for The People the first time it happened. Now, it’s more like when wrestlers tag in and out of the ring.) But Maria’s someone who needs to be protected from her own family, and Helen knows all about that. The Parker family wasn’t a particularly nice one, either.

That’s why, when Suzy-Q came back from her last visit to Helen’s mind having promised that I’d look after Maria until she did whatever she needed to get through this, I was stuck. I don’t have control over Suzy-Q, however, she’s a part of me. She’d make the same choices that I would in any given situation, so if she makes a promise, that means I’m bound to keep it. I figured I owed her that for Suzy-Q not warning Helen that Troy and Julie were in Paris looking for her. I mean yeah, she doesn’t want to be found, but I want her to come home safe, too.

Maria’s no child, though, despite her media nickname of “Little Maria.” She was one of those TV Princesses growing up, when they gave her the name. Now that she’s 23, taller than some men I know, and always scores second only to Helen herself in “Most Bangable Royal Babes” online polls, (And that’s mostly because nude pictures and videos of Helen are out there to be found online, because she’s put them out there to deflect the media away from things before.) the name is used mainly by La Familia, internet creeps who had countdown clocks on their websites for the moment she turned eighteen, or people using it ironically. It’s been a bit hectic at the castle, having Maria secretly in charge while Rita plays Helen for the cameras. With the news that Troy talked Helen into coming back, things have relaxed, and I got to have an evening out last night with Colleen Sullivan, a friend we met through Helen on my first trip here.

Evenings out in San Finzione are too damn fun. By design. The country acquired a tech sector and a film industry within the past year, due to some events that we played a role in; however, their primary post-World War II industry has been tourism, because San Finzione’s unique geographical position gives them year-round beach weather. A close second is the wine industry because year-round beach weather also means year-round wine season. If you ever go to a market in San Finzione and they tell you they’re out of grapes, they REALLY don’t like you, because they have plenty and it’s a very friendly country by force of economic need, so you must be a real dick.

This means that if you go to the right places, which Colleen knows now that she’s a local, the drinks range from free to “we’ll pay you pretty ladies to stay and drink and dance longer.” We decided not to take the emerald-green iPads that would have identified us as “Special Friends of La Contessa” and gotten us the red-carpet treatment everywhere. The evening out became a blur that ended up a Colleen’s Place-colored blur, that became a roughly naked Colleen-shaped blur that became darkness, and then a pounding in my head. Once the darkness was replaced by too much light, I realized that the pounding wasn’t in my head, but on Colleen’s front door.

Carefully trying to keep any more light than absolutely needed from entering my eyes, I looked over at the naked top half of Colleen snoring next to me. Her bottom half was enclosed in some kind of mermaid’s tail costume that I don’t recall her getting into at any point. I registered that I wasn’t wearing anything as the pounding on the door made plain that it had no plan to stop on its own any time soon.

I whacked Colleen with a stuffed leprechaun I found amongst the pillows. That got me a muttered “feck off,” and I worked the math of my being able to wake her up to answer her door, her being able to either get out of the mermaid tail or get to the door in it and realized that the problem was now mine. I found my panties and nothing else. Holding the leprechaun to cover my breasts, I found my way to my feet and started navigating out of her bedroom and to the front door.

A guy in his late teens wearing a servant’s uniform had been the source of the knocking. In the hand he hadn’t been knocking with, he’d held some clothes that he’d found coming up the steps that I admitted were mine and took back from him.

“Lady Maria urgently requests your presence at the castle, Signorina Bailey. There is a car waiting.” He said before I could come up with a decent angry reply to the knocking. I’d seen him at the castle before. I think he was a page. Did they still have pages? Maria can’t send Jeanne to do everything. I muttered that I’d figure the clothes thing out and shut the door. I found something for my head in Colleen’s bathroom, did a brief clean-up, and put my clothes back on. There was no waking Colleen to say goodbye, and no time to leave a note, so I put the leprechaun next to her. She shifted, flopping her tail, and hugged it as I stepped out into the San Finzione daylight. Whatever Maria needed, it couldn’t have been as bad as that felt.

* * *

“It is horrible, Susan.” Lady Maria Louisa Francesca de San Finzione said to me when I got to the castle. The stuff from Colleen’s medicine cabinet had started working on the way here. Something from Jeanne’s beverage cart helped with the rest by the time Maria was free to see me.

Jeanne Carpentier was Helen’s personal maid; and when Helen was away and she was in charge, Maria’s. (There are special reasons that Helen picked Jeanne for the job, but I’ll let others tell that story.) The first time we met, we didn’t share a common language, so she was a complete mystery to me. Since then, we’ve both learned Italian, and I’ve gotten to know Jeanne a bit better. She seemed pretty stiff and robotic to me when we first met. I’ve learned since that this is a fetish of hers, which makes her a natural choice to work for a woman who’s attracted to other women and also able to take control her mind and fulfill that fantasy. (Hey, no judgment here. Last night, Colleen asked me to ravish her on the deck of a pirate ship. I don’t recall if the mermaid tail came before or after that.)

Another thing that Jeanne brings to the table is her beverage cart. Helen doesn’t really “do” alcohol, and I tend to save it for nights out, myself, for similar reasons. She prefers hot beverages to cold ones, so Jeanne’s cart is equipped to make coffee, tea, or hot cocoa; which is Helen’s favorite drink. There used to be a hot plate on it too, but that was removed after an incident you probably saw on TV a year ago. It’s been upgraded since then, and she had a choice of coffees for me. I picked Colombian because I recognized it, and all the others sounded too fancy to waste on a primary objective of hangover elimination. I also served myself rather than asking Jeanne to do it for me. Eleven years of waitressing experience left me qualified to handle the machines on her cart.

“I got up and came straight here, Maria.” I told her, sitting up on the couch in Helen’s study. It’s sort of her office in the Palace Wing. She’s also got a Throne Room and an office over in the Business Wing of the castle, where as she puts it, they KEEP the Sackville San Finziones. “I haven’t seen any news, nobody’s told me about a crisis.”

“This would not be on the news.” Maria explained. “My cousin Lucinda stopped by the Palace Wing last night.”

I got a tighter grip on my coffee cup. Lucinda de San Finzione had been one of the eight or nine that Helen had mentioned by name as extra-specially not to be trusted. There was a Benito and a Sabrina in there somewhere too, I think. Essentially, any member of La Familia not named Helena, Maria, Vincenzo, or Byroni, you can save a lot of time by distrusting immediately. Maybe not everyone; she died long before any of us were born, but I hear Contessa Sofia was quite nice.

“How long was she here?” I asked, causally looking around to see if I noticed anything missing.

“A few minutes. Long enough to complain that the rest of La Familia have not yet met the twins.” Maria looked down. “And to pressure me into a reception for La Familia to meet them.”

“You couldn’t say no? Or say that Helen said no?”

“Unfortunately, Lucinda knows the right things to say.” Maria responded. “Great-Grandmama usually deals with her, si. She has um… la mente di un ladro, she is better equipped to handle La Familia.”

I almost choked on my coffee a little. Maria doesn’t say negative things about La Familia. It’s a “they’re a bunch of evil, greedy backstabbers, but they’re still my family” thing. Admitting that Helen’s “mind of a thief” made her uniquely qualified to deal with them was something of a breakthrough for her. (I know she loves Helen too, and didn’t mean anything insulting there. Saying that Helen has a criminal mentality is just a statement of fact.)

“Ok.” I said, setting the coffee down on the table. “So, we schedule something for next week, after Helen gets back, and she can handle…”

Maria interrupted me.

“It is to be this evening! I tried to stall; told her that Great-Grandmama wanted to spend more time alone with them, but Lucinda said that La Familia are insistent. Every day they have not been allowed to meet Vincenzo and Byroni has been seen as an insult by some, and she said that they have all come to her to approach Great-Grandmama.”

“Maria,” I replied. “I know you love them, however, La Familia don’t do anything as one without an ulterior motive.”

“Si, I am aware of this. If Lucinda knows that Great-Grandmama is out of the country, she did not indicate it to me. Usually, there would be no complaints if any of them went a month or more without seeing La Contessa face-to-face.”

“But the boys change all of that.” I thought aloud.

“Si. I think that they wish to ‘size her up.’ To see if the twins have, perhaps, mellowed her. If her being a mother now means that they will have something to work with in future schemes.”

“And Helen needs to be there, because everyone knows that there’s no way in hell she’d let them meet the twins without being present.” I thought some more on that, the last of the fog leaving my head. “We could ask Rita if… no, no, they’ve almost certainly seen her show; and I don’t think she’d be able to stand up to their scrutiny.”

“I have thought of this already.” Maria said with a smile. “And then I had another thought. That you, Susan, could make them believe that they were speaking to the real Contessa!”

I gave that some thought. As a rule, Helen almost never went over to visit the Business Wing unless it was for one of two reasons: She wants you to do something, or you’ve fucked up and she’s caught you. “Not having to deal with La Contessa” is one of their favorite things over there. In the past month, the country, and therefore they, hadn’t seen much of her except for those quick or distant shots of Rita on the news. And how many of them spend their Saturday nights watching television, anyway? As for my role in Maria’s plan, that might be a bit trickier.

“Maria,” I told her. “It’s only within the past few months that I’ve gotten confident enough with it to stop telling myself ‘I’m learning to control minds’ and say ‘I know how to control minds.’ I know Helen’s managed to control a ballroom full of people before, and Troy and Julie could do it, but they’ve been doing this most of their lives; I’m not at their level.”

“You would not have to do it to the whole room at once.” Maria replied. “It will be a reception. Rita can sit with the babies, they will approach her, and then you can convince them that she is Great-Grandmama!”

I smiled at Maria. She’s known about this ability for the past eight years since Helen married her great-grandfather. (Helen refers to it as “The Thing,” Troy & Julie call it “Doing What We Do.” Sometimes, just to be different, I’ll go with “The Thing We Do.”) She’s the next person we plan to teach it to, but Helen wants to wait for a few more years. Maria’s late teen years were spent doing Jeanne’s job, as Helen’s personal maid. (She did some of the other stuff Jeanne does, too; but Maria has no regrets and knows that Helen was acting out of grief for the Count and has forgiven her Great-Grandmama, so we have, too. Julie and Helen also didn’t speak much at that time, for complicated reasons, so everyone just kind of avoids talking about that period of their lives.) The positive side of this was that Maria grew up to be a nice person whom everyone gets along with, because she doesn’t view anyone else as “beneath her” just because she was fortunate enough to be born a Princess. Maria also views it as Helen saving her from the “San Finzione Curse” of a short and often stupid life of excess that claimed her parents and grandparents. Helen thinks Maria could handle The Thing, and the rest of us agree, but she wants her to have as much of a normal life as someone like Maria can have first.

“Maria,” I said evenly. “This is starting to feel like a sitcom plot. And not a good one; one of the ones that get canceled a couple episodes in.”

Maria gave me a frustrated “don’t you think I know that” look.

“Susan, now that we have located Great-Grandmama, now that Troy has been able to talk sense to her and she has agreed to come home, now that she is happily enjoying a few days away from everything with her best friends and the man and woman she loves most in the world before coming back to us; do you wish to be the one to call her and tell her that we need her to cut things short and come home immediately? Because we face the crisis of Lucinda pressuring me into throwing a party on short notice? The reception itself may be her power play; getting me to throw together such a thing at the last moment will put a feather in her cap with the others.”

I sat back down and thought about that for a moment. La Familia are incredible mooches and might just be after a free dinner on the Palace side of the castle. They weren’t trustworthy enough to assume that was all there was to it, but that chance existed. Servants almost never go over to the Business Side, but when they do, there are signs just before you exit any of the service accesses in that part of the building advising the staff that they work for La Familia ROYALE, not La Familia, and nobody who might normally be in that wing, except La Contessa or Lady Maria, can order them to do anything. So, it’s not until they come to visit the Palace Wing that La Familia get to do any proper servant belittling. (I waitressed at a shitty highway diner for eleven years before Troy found me. Guess how much respect I have for people like that.)

Helen told me that after they visited to “console her” following the Count’s death, everything shiny that could fit in a pocket was gone. She did The Thing to them to get everything back at the same meeting with the lawyers that ended with all of them agreeing that Count Vincenzo, forever does he reign in our hearts, wanted his beloved Contessa to sit on the throne until it was Little Maria’s time. (Maria was 16 when her great-grandfather died, so the name was only starting to get creepy back then.)

With all the shit Helen’s dealt with just in the time that I’ve known her personally, it’s hard to deny that she could use a few days off. Intellectually, I knew that the smart thing to do would be to call Helen anyway and at least seek her advice. As I played out that phone call in my head, I realized that telling Helen anything about it would get the wheels in her own head turning, she’d start thinking about it, and instead of relaxing with Troy & Julie, her mind will be focused on what she’s going to come home to. Or yes, decide she needs to come back immediately.

Troy’s their father and has just as much right to know what’s going on, but they think too similarly, and we’d have the same problem; Troy’s TOO responsible to hear that and just go back to relaxing, he’d drop everything and come right back here. Julie has no poker face, so if I talk to her, the other two will figure out that something’s wrong. We’re going to be the boys’ godmothers, (I’m Vincenzo’s, Julie’s Byroni’s. Helen’s an atheist, but San Finzione is a Catholic nation, and she’s their Contessa, so it’s expected of her to get them baptized.) so, responsibility for them falls to me at this point. I could just take them somewhere, let the godmother be the bad guy for Maria in the situation; but she’s too good a friend to leave to face La Familia’s depredations on her own. Dammit, she was right!

“Ok, Maria.” I said. “I’m in. What about Rita? We won’t be able to pull this off without her. I mean, if I had their experience, or them here to work with me, putting Jeanne in a wig would be enough to fool everyone.” I gestured to Jeanne, who smiled. “Up close, I’d tell them that she’s Helen and they’d believe it. But they’d be able to tell from a distance that Jeanne’s not the right height and figure. Rita could fool them until they got close enough for me to make them believe it. Do we know where she is right now?”

Maria looked over at Jeanne. Jeanne took a day-planner from her cart and flipped through it.

“Ms. Delvecchio would be in the studio at this hour.” Jeanne said in Italian with a sweet smile.

(Jeanne does a lot more than just serving drinks for Helen. Yes, she does THAT kind of stuff for Helen, too, but she knew about that going into the job. Unlike some undeservedly popular books and movies, Helen knows how to draw up a sex contract.)

“Would you like her brought to the castle?” Maria asked me. I had images of Rita going about her day; when suddenly, a group of Ultimados step out of the shadows and drag her here. That didn’t feel like a step Maria would take, but I could see that things were getting to her; and the right people in the government knew that Maria was secretly Contessa-In-Reggenza again until sometime Monday or Tuesday, so she could very well make it happen if she was that desperate.

“I’ll go get her.” I volunteered. “What time does it happen?”

“Seven o’clock.” Maria answered. “I told Lucinda that the babies’ bedtime was at eight, so that we could get them out of there early.”

My phone said it was 11:08. The hangover was almost gone now, so I was inclined to believe it.

“Ok, figure they’ll start showing up around six to load up on drinks, gives me a little less than seven hours to make Rita into a Contessa.” I got up and started walking out before stopping and turning. “I don’t expect it’ll take that long, she carries the wig and makeup with her.”

Maria ran up and hugged me.

“Grazie, Susan!” She said with a kiss on both cheeks. “I know that this is a big and strange thing to ask. But you can help in a way that nobody else can right now.”

“Maria, if there’s two things I know, it’s helping people and strangeness.” I thought a second. “If there’s four things, it’s helping people, strangeness, Star Trek, and waitressing. Start doing whatever setting up a reception involves, I’ll be back quick.”