The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Social Scene and the Hate Machine

Chapter 4 — All it Takes is a Main Attraction

Once she and Shannon were in the car, she said, “You might be the only one who understands the depth of what goes on in the basement to know this. Phan’s...” Summer stopped and swallowed before forcing herself to continue. “Phan’s dead. I saw her lured into the process. I didn’t dare—I couldn’t get her out with me. It’s a three-step process, and any one of those steps brings you down as much as you are now. But then...”

She stopped again, the words refusing to come. Shannon reached out and stroked her hair. “Summer, we have to know,” she said.

“It’s always easier to consider when they’re strangers, you know? Or when you’re the one in control, and you know what you’re doing. But—you know Helena, right?”

“Tutors everyone in the universe in calculus, is hopelessly crushing on Ken Lee, throws the most precisely calculated curveball known to the state of Pennsylvania?”

Summer nodded. “You know Helena. I know Helena. What’s walking around with her face now isn’t Helena anymore. It’s just another of the stock personas that the rest of the jocks have. They drained her below zero and put in some bitchy filler until she goes off to college and some buyer decides what they want her to be. And when she strikes out 10 Mayville batters next game out, the community will love her, and no one will remember who she’s supposed to be. ‘She’s coming out of her shell.’ ‘She’s going through a phase.’ All that bullshit.”

Shannon reached out and put her hand on Summer’s shoulder for a moment before devoting her attention back to the wheel. But the human warmth was enough to momentarily dissolve the lump in Summer’s throat, and she continued, “I can’t show fear to the others, because I barely knew them before I made them mine. But you were my best friend first, before Anya awakened me to fight what she saw. You were there. You’ve always been there. I trust you. And what I saw in the basement was the temptation of the devil herself. That’s how Principal Llewellyn takes care of rival controllers. She blinds them with a golden paradise of totally fried, athletic, nubile teenagers just past the age of consent, plus a share of the wealth.”

“And they’re turning the heat up. Mom flipped out at me. I mean, total Chernobyl meltdown about how you’ve become a bad influence, and why am I not going out for cheer tryouts, and shouldn’t I think of my future, and all that other bullshit. Even Dad’s a little scared, but he has my back,” Shannon said.

Summer nodded. “I sort of expected that. All those pillars of the community have to put in their work, after all. I kind of froze my mom’s brain a bit, just enough for all of this to just bounce off. And my dad’s got a little of the power—not really enough to use, but enough for him to fight off when someone else uses it on him. He knows the scene. If you need to run away, you have a home.”

Shannon didn’t look at Summer—didn’t dare, not while she was behind the wheel and not with the weapons in Summer’s eyes. So they could both pretend that Shannon’s brown eyes weren’t bright with the tears she didn’t dare shed. “This is all happening too fast, and you—and we—have to move even faster. You need to end this or someone will end us. This runs deeper than you know. I’ve been doing my own research. You don’t want to know what happened the last time Glassville lost a football game. That’s when Miss Llewellyn came in, and phew, is she a piece of work. She makes Principal Llewellyn look sane.”

“I do want to know, but not at this meeting. I need to be Anya’s heiress for this. I can’t be scared. I have to be the predator, not the prey. We need to be ready to launch at a moment’s notice, and we’re still about fifty away from even matching the manpower, and for this to work, we need the manpower. We’ll probably need closer to two hundred so we can out-man and overpower them. But the moment we hit the school, we’re declaring war, and God alone knows what she’ll do when that happens. We’ll cause her to destroy the people we’re trying to protect.”

“Then protect them and their future by ridding them of the problem. Clan Llewellyn will strike if we don’t strike first. I think we’ve got a week at most. Make this meeting count,” Shannon advised.

Summer nodded her understanding as they arrived at the graffiti-covered old public pool that had become a skate park—and was now the gathering place for her small but growing personal army. She forced her face into the icy mask that came so naturally to Anya and to her father, and opened her eyes wide as the unconcealed weapons they were.

“Evelyn is manning the store. Everyone else is here,” Dana reported, her tube top showcasing her fantastic rack, the neon green a sharp contrast to the olive of her skin.

“Someone will have to tell her later. The timetable just got moved up even more. That bitch Llewellyn just tried to turn me. We have less than a week to prepare our plan. And I have more good news.” A sarcastic smile twisted her face and sharpened the angles. “She confirmed that everyone who comes out of her little playroom is simply a shell with a simple stock persona inserted for future erasure. It’s a threefold process, and it makes you guys look like casual hangers-on. Right now they’re recruiting for holes in athletics, then the cheerleaders. It’s time to act!”

The bloodthirsty roar that greeted her words took her by surprise. “We need to get anyone we can to me. Get people you know, people you trust, and people you think will trust me. I don’t know how long I’ll have to hold them, so... so consider your choices as carefully as you can.” A month ago, even a week ago, her voice would have broken. Now she only hesitated, just long enough to force them to think about what she was saying instead of absorbing it simply because of who she was.

“If we take the school, they see us and strike. I don’t think the mall would be much better—they have to stay pretty and fashionable, after all. Where do we go?” Priya asked, adjusting her green cricket shirt and black cargo pants.

“Wherever you know, wherever you can. Glassville’s a small place, but there are a lot of small places around it. But my top ten and I are going to be at the mall, taking in the newcomers. We’ll use the store as our base of operations, of course. That also gives us a chance to brief Evelyn, and to check her contacts—I’m sure she has a few girls who like their brains fried on her phone. Get your people to the mall and to the store. I got this.”

The rollout was frighteningly fast, and before long, Summer and her core ten were left alone in the park. “So, get to the store before the new recruits start piling up?” Ron asked.

“I’ll get the van,” Katelyn agreed with a nod that set her platinum pigtails flying up to slap against the white blouse of her schoolgirl outfit.

“Stop,” Summer ordered, and the world stopped turning for her ten. “All of you listen. You know more about Glassville than anyone else I know. Tell me now, and tell me only the truth. What happened the last time Glassville lost a game here?”

Katelyn opened her mouth and closed it again. Rick shook his head. “That’s just not talked about,” he said in a hushed voice.

“Well, we’re going to talk about it. Everything hinges on this. I can’t ask my parents—neither of them went to high school here, so they’ve always been out of the loop. I can’t ask any of our peers, even if I think they’d tell me—it was too long ago for any of us to pay attention to. But that’s the key. If we figure out what happened, and we bring it back to light, we have justice. Without it, you’re a bunch of lost souls under the thrall of a way too polite vampire, and the cycle keeps going. How many of you have younger brothers or sisters?”

That appeal brought forth a collective mumble of “Pinkerton.”

“They were the last ones to beat the football team here. Get me every article, every piece of information you have,” Summer ordered.

Ron’s forehead was furrowed in concentration. “My dad may have mentioned something about it. When Dan Reynolds went after me, Dad said, ‘Doesn’t matter what he does, he’ll be treated like a child. They always were.’”

“There was a big to-do seven, eight years ago. Maybe that was it? I don’t think any of us remember what it was about,” Kylie said, looking quite upset.

“I don’t remember seeing Pinkerton on the schedule,” Katelyn said with a frown that she managed to make cute.

“No, and you wouldn’t. They’re 3A,” Priya said.

“I’m starting to see the shape of the puzzle. You guys go out and get the rest of the pieces. Shan, you cross-check every registered controller out there who was involved with this town. Someone must have told the Llewellyns where to stick it. Kylie, take my card. Get every green highlighter and copy of The Mikado you can find until you have enough for every desk in school. Everyone else, you’re on recruiting Do me proud,” Summer ordered, and the plan was on.

Closing time neared at the mall, and in a very busy changing room, an ebony beauty in blue and maroon basketball gear felt the heat in her jeans consume her until all she could feel was the fire of arousal and the ice of Summer’s eyes. She melted against her new best friend, exploring Summer’s mouth with a newly pierced tongue. The button of her jeans popped open, and she sagged in Summer’s arms. Summer broke the liplock, helped her out of her jeans, and gestured to the outfit hanging on the back of the door.

Minutes later, the blue and maroon jacket covered a bright orange ABA throwback, but clashed horrifically with green leggings that had leather patches down the side. But the girl looked at her reflection in the mirror with dazed pride. “Better, Monique?” Summer asked, and all the captivated girl could do was nod as she emerged from the changing room and waited next to her travel teammate in the same uniform.

Summer grabbed a bottle of water and waited for the next customer. But the next people she saw were Katelyn and Priya, both of them looking pale as death. Priya held a laptop cradled in her arms, so Summer hugged Katelyn instead. “What is it, Kate? It’s okay, I’m here, talk to me.”

“It’s worse than we thought,” Katelyn said, her words muffled.

“Everything we found in searches was redacted with a BMC-Forbid-469 error, and that’s before the redirects and the subliminal messages to stay away. Three different varieties, no less. So I looked up that error. What I found was most interesting. After that... well, you hack brains, but I hack computers.” Priya’s voice held notes of both pride and fear.

“You hacked Mindcrime? Are you—bozhe moi,” Summer said, trailing off into even stronger language as Priya put the laptop down on the table and turned it towards her. Whatever firewall was there was giving Summer the same twinges of strong emotion she had gotten in the basement, except with a subliminal pulse of go, do something else, close the tab, look away, this doesn’t interest you. She was surprised that Priya remained unaffected, but then she noticed that Katelyn’s lipstick was smeared, as if reapplied in a hurry, and that Priya’s cargo pants had the drawstring undone. I guess that’s what friends are for, she thought with a hint of good humor.

Then she saw the YouTube post that Priya had pulled up, and all hints of good humor fled. The perfect cheerleaders and the dashing athletes were gone, replaced by raging beasts unleashing pure fury and raw lust in equal parts on the unsuspecting Pinkerton students they’d lured in by whatever sordid means they had at hand. The petty cruelty and instilled hatred of “the other” that had led the cheerleaders to torture Dawn to her death were on full display as Glassville’s pride and joy attacked like primal things from the depths of nightmare.

“Enough!” Summer said, and her hands were white around the arms of the chair.

Katelyn put a shaking hand on Summer’s shoulder, as much to support her leader as it was to support herself. “That’s just the what. Some got juvenile and had to take sex ed classes, but most of it was swept under the rug.”

“’Doesn’t matter what he does, he’ll be treated as a child. They always were,’” Summer said, looking at Ron. “But why? Why would you...” She stopped short at the combined stares of her inner circle. “Because if they exposed the system, all hell would break loose, and they’ve already seen what happens when some of hell breaks loose.”

“It gets worse,” Priya said with a heavy sigh. “No, no more videos. Just words.” She clicked through to the police reports and passed the laptop back to Summer.

“Suicide, suicide, MIA, shot by ex, suicide, suicide, MIA, accident, accident, MIA, MIA...” Summer trailed off and started swearing in Russian, finding it far more satisfying than English. “None of them survived, and no one did anything real about their attackers. And I’m the one with the dead sister to bridge from point A to point B. They tormented them until they died... but they’re still alive. I take it Cassidy wasn’t flown in just to restore order.”

“Haven’t gotten to Miss Llewellyn yet, but I’ll start immediately,” Priya said, burying herself in her work while everyone else got into position.

“Trenchcoats and shotguns?” Katelyn asked with a tremble in her voice.

“Don’t need them. There are fates worse than death. And yes, I know that if—”

“You didn’t give me the Care Bear Stare I’d be a senior cheerleader in a week’s time,” Katelyn finished, emphasizing her words with a backflip and a bright smile. But her bravado faded quickly, and she leaped into Summer for a passionate hug and some moral support.

“We’re going to destroy them, and you’re going to be part of it,” Summer promised, with enough warmth in her voice behind the steel that everyone got back to work with renewed pride and confidence, believing in her to protect them.

Summer wished she could share the certainty she had given them. But she could only contemplate her plan and pray it would work while everyone prepared around her.

As the day wore down and the mall prepared to close, Kylie returned laden with books. “I don’t think there are any copies of this left anywhere in the county, but I got enough,” she reported.

“I think you know which character to highlight... if you don’t, it should become obvious fairly quickly. Ask if you aren’t sure,” Summer ordered.

The outsiders were clueless, but her captains filled them in; the rest understood immediately, and set to work with their green highlighters. Shannon, however, though, held up the disc with the yearbook data on it and said, “The hidden warning is a fun little prank, but we’ve got real work to do.”

A tiny voice in the back of Summer’s mind raged. How dare one of my slaves speak so to her Mistress? But shame drowned it out; Summer wasn’t about to let some primitive predator instinct override her essential personality. “Whatcha got, Shan?“

“Three teachers left that year. First up, Mr. Felton, the computer teacher that Miss Llewellyn replaced. They busted him for fucking around with a cheerleader just close enough to the line of consent for people to cast aspersions. I like that word.” Shannon cracked half a smile, then let it fade. “Yeah, scapegoat, I know. But here’s the thing—no prison in the world has any record of anyone with that name, much less one busted for getting up to shenanigans with a high school cheerleader.”

“He already hanged, then. Mind controllers have the cruelest prisons of all. I knew that even before I really woke up. And how much you want to bet that he was one of the ones who didn’t take advantage of the cheerleader smorgasbord on the field?”

“I don’t bet with people who can control my mind,” Shannon said. “Next up, Mrs. Kelley from the math department. She ran off and became a housewife in Iowa, of all forsaken places.”

“Suicide by pocketwatch. A couple of the ones Evelyn dragged in were doing that. As long as they weren’t full of needle holes, I figured we needed all the help we could get. What about the last one?” Summer asked, getting more frustrated by the second.

“Mrs. O’Rourke, moved to Bryn Mawr. Seems to be running a convent. Seems. Here’s the thing. Here’s her yearbook photo. The color’s off, but there’s a twinkle in her eyes that just doesn’t add up.“

“Emerald green. Not as strong as ice blue, but has a similar effect. It’s more sparkle than swirl, more of an ‘oh, pretty’ than ‘I look into your soul’. Get everything on her that you can. We might need her later,” Summer said.

Shannon nodded her understanding and got back to work. Summer leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes, just for a moment, just long enough for them to stop hurting and for the throbbing headache to stop knifing pain through her head...