The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

PERSONAL TASTE

by Colleen Whyte

“Okay people, the test subject will be entering the room in about a minute. Does everybody remember their role?”

The three young men in the room started momentarily at the disembodied voice, then gave various ‘thumbs-up’ gestures towards where they thought the camera might be. None of them were really sure, the room they were in was non-descript, not unlike a dozen others in the university. Indeed that was all Bill Thomas saw when he entered a few minutes later, just a bland tutorial room and three guys about his age, other students in his class he figured although he didn’t recognise any of them.

“This the tute for 207 Theory of Concept?” he asked just to make sure he had got the right room.

“Yep, that’s us,” one of the three replied and held out his hand. “I’m Tim, tutor hasn’t shown up yet.”

“Jake.” The second piped up from where he was casually lounging. “Paul.” Completed the trio.

“Bill. Not many people here, considering there’s over six hundred doing the course.”

“I figure we got the odd slot,” Tim replied easily, “Figure that’s a bonus.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Bill said as he seated himself. The introductions over, the other three set about chatting again, and while not unfriendly to Bill, they clearly knew each other from outside the course. It was another five minutes before the final person entered the room.

“Sorry I’m late,” the dark haired young woman apologised as she staggered over to the front of the room, her coat half off and a bundle of papers threatening to spill from her hands. “It took forever to get the photocopying done and then I couldn’t find my keys, and wouldn’t you know it ...” It was a pattern Bill would get used to in the coming weeks, Tim, Jake and Paul would always be there before him and Anne the tutor would always be late.

Meanwhile unseen by all in the room but unknown only to Bill, Professors Jane Clark and Karl Maizer were observing the proceedings through their concealed video camera.

“So far, so good,” Maizer commented, the middle aged psychology professor brushing his hands along his slacks in his customary way as though they may have become wrinkled from his just sitting there. His battered old houndstooth sportsjacket was hung over the back of his chair and his tie had been loosened enough for him to undo the top button of his shirt. Since it was only him and his colleague in the room he felt he could be that casual.

Beside him Jane Clark had already lapsed well into casual, her long hair bound back into a convenient ponytail with a purple scrunchy, her one piece brown cotton dress hanging loosely over her lithe body, the elastic in the waist long since perished. She too peered intently at the screen. “Oh look, they’re doing it.”

Back in the tutorial room Anne had finally got herself sorted and seemed ready to begin the tutorial. As Maizer and Clark watched their three ‘plants’ each place their lined pads in front of themselves, not unusual in itself except that all three had chosen to orientate their paper sideways and when they began writing they did so across the length of the page. Bill gave no sign of having noticed, but to the delight of his unseen observers, half way through the tutorial he was doing the same.

* * *

Deborah paused outside the door and took several deep breaths to calm her nerves then making sure her blouse was tucked in to her jeans and her hair wasn’t straying across her face, she went in. She didn’t want to be here, she wasn’t a joiner, given the chance she liked to do her own thing in her own time. But she needed things to fill out her resume, things like belonging to clubs and societies.

And things like the extra credit phys-ed experiment she had signed up for. Well actually that one hadn’t been too bad, she just had to drink 300 millilitres of some unbranded sports drink every day. Which reminded her that it was time and she took it as an excuse to delay her entry a bit longer as she swigged it back. It didn’t taste bad at least, just bland, and it hadn’t had any side effects so far like sleepless nights or growing hair on the backs of her hands.

Slipping the sipper bottle back into her large handbag she remembered that it had been Dr Clark who was running the sports drink trials that had suggested she join this particular club. Deborah briefly wondered if the professor had been a member and whether dropping her name would help. She decided against it and opened the door to reveal the long hallway within. Unreal, she thought to herself, getting this worked up and she hadn’t even gone into the building yet.

Down the corridor she went until she found the door with a hand written sign : “S X X” Not giving herself a chance to back out, she knocked lightly once and went straight in to find a small but comfortably set out room with plush carpet, a glass topped coffee table and a half dozen padded chairs. There were also three people in the room and Deborah did a quick double take as they weren’t what she expected.

All three of them were attractive, two of them were down right stunning and Deborah felt even more self conscious as she stood there. These didn’t look like the sort of women who belonged to strange little niche societies, rather she felt they would have looked more natural prancing around a beach in bikinis. Their clothes weren’t anything special, student-average, but somehow Deborah couldn’t believe any of them to be serious scholars.

Her confusion gave the tallest of the woman a chance to come over and greet her. “You must be Deborah,” she said, her smile revealing perfect teeth. “I’m Rachel, current president of the S X X. This is Yvonne our treasurer and Anne, our secretary. You can come up with any title you like for yourself, since its only the four of us.”

Deborah joined in with the light laughter that greeted Rachel’s quip and let herself be guided over to a chair where she shook hands with the other two. Once everyone was comfortable Anne, the least drop-dead gorgeous of the three, did a quick speech about the goals and motives of the society. It seemed well rehearsed to Deborah and she briefly wondered how many other prospects had been scared off.

And from their hidden room Clark and Maizer observed it all.

“Look, its working,” Karl whispered even though there was no chance of them being overheard. “She’s crossing her legs the opposite way to what she normally would.”

“Mmm,” Jane murmured as she jotted down notes : “Actors have observed manner in which test subject two sits and as per instructions have adopted the inverse posture. Test subject two follows their lead after eight minutes, despite some discomfort being evident. I think its going remarkably well.”

“I’d rather we had more test and control subjects,” Dr Maizer countered.

“Not on our current budget I’m afraid. The cost of hiring five actors and the surveillance equipment is pushing us pretty close to the edge. Fortunately as a graduate student Anne is effectively free. But don’t fret, this is just a preliminary to see if we could get any result. The empirical testing can start when we have a sponsor.” Dr Clark said as she finished putting the labels of the next batch of sipper bottles.

“I suppose. It just doesn’t feel very scientific with only two subjects. Statistically its quite possible that both are abnormally prone to the behaviour that we are already testing for. We may have even inadvertently selected our subjects on perceiving just that characteristic.” Maizer postulated as he double checked his measurements before adding a pale blue liquid to a flask of water. There was genuine admiration in his voice as he said, “This counter-inhibitor you developed is truly amazing.”

“We developed,” Dr Clark corrected him. “You shouldn’t sell yourself short on your hard science competence. It was you that isolated the chemical in the human brain that acts as a brake on our susceptibility to peer pressure.”

“I was drawing on the work of a great many of my colleagues. Its very basic psychology that we function as a society due to socialisation, the need to conform to accepted standards. Makes all interactions so much easier with a common basis.”

“Yes, but you found the chemical that gives us our individuality by preventing us from slavishly doing what everyone else is doing. All I had to do was synthesise a counter agent.”

“Enough mutual back patting, professor,” Maizer laughed, “So what little quirk should we try for the next session. Since we got an immediate response to the observed behaviour why not press straight on to something more significant like mode of dress.”

“Something not too extraordinary.”

“Agreed. Any suggestions?”

“How about,” Clark mused for a moment, “How about blue jeans and those leather belts with the really big buckles.”

“Is that enough of a shift to be significant?”

“I think so. He tends to wear either shorts or cargo pants to the lectures so I don’t think he wears jeans that often but he’s likely to have a pair.”

“Very well. Jeans and big-buckled belt. I’ll brief our actors before the next session and make sure they know not to comment on it unless he brings it up.” Dr Maizer finished up with the chemicals and jotted down a reminder into his diary.

“Your turn,” Dr Clark prompted.

“What?”

“Your turn. I chose something for subject one. You have to choose something for subject two.”

“Huh, oh right. What about a small black handbag. I notice she lugs around a great big shoulder bag.” Maizer suggested.

“Small and dainty,” Dr Clark said with a bemused smile. “Why not.”

* * *

Bill felt distinctly ill at ease and he really couldn’t tell why. Something in the room was putting him off, some small thing that was interrupting his concentration and making Anne’s voice little more than a drone in the background. Whatever it was, it didn’t seem to be affecting the other guys in the tutorial, they were scribbling down notes and throwing in the odd quip or question to some of the more esoteric stuff that Anne was talking about.

That was it, he decided. He felt like an outsider. It was him and the other guys, whereas he was sure to them he was the other guy. It was something far beyond the fact that they already knew each other, he hadn’t felt this out of place last time and he hadn’t known them at all that time.

He continued to squirm through the rest of the tutorial, and worse still he kept taking furtive, involuntary glances at the other guys. Every time he caught himself doing it he hoped they hadn’t noticed, he’d really hate for them to think he was gay or something.

And down the hall Deborah had made up an excuse, slipped out of the room where the others were discussing S X X, had hidden her bulky handbag in the toilets and returned with only her clutch purse. Somehow her familiar, convenient handbag had seemed out of place, inelegant in its surroundings. So it had to go, at least for the duration of the meeting. The relief she felt when she seated herself back in the room was almost palpable. Next week she would leave her usual hand bag at home.

* * *

Bill felt strangely self conscious as he made his way to the tutorial, and a bit uncomfortable. It was really a bit too warm to be wearing jeans but for some reason that was what he had picked that morning and it had resulted in him hitting his sipper bottle much more than he normally would. He would have to tell the sports drink people to make more flavours. But what was really getting to him was the belt he was wearing. He almost never wore a belt, he had a good shaped butt and really didn’t need it. Yet he had seen it in the window of a clothing store on his way home and had bought it on impulse. At the time it had appealed to him but now he really wasn’t so sure, the oversized belt buckle with a bull’s head and something about a rock just seemed garish.

Yet once in the tutorial he relaxed, maybe it was the air conditioning making it a bit cooler but unlike the previous session he had no trouble paying attention and even joined in the banter with Tim and the guys. It wasn’t until they were getting up to leave at the end of the session that he noticed that all their belts had oversized buckles as well. He blanched at the thought that he was being influenced by peer pressure but reassured himself somewhat half-heartedly with the fact that theirs all had motorcycle emblems and his had a bull. He wasn’t sure if it made him more or less macho than them.

Not far away Deborah had no illusions that she was doing things to fit in with others. The tiny little handbag she had brought was more a nuisance than a practical accessory, she had barely managed to squeeze her student id, a notebook, pen and some cash into it. She really couldn’t imagine how the others got through the day, especially with the amount of makeup they seemed to produce from their own dinky little bags. But, she reminded herself, she had joined the society purely to increase her social standing and she really couldn’t do that if she didn’t fit in.

* * *

“This is going astoundingly well, Professor Clark,” Maizer enthused as they reviewed the tapes of the weeks sessions. “We really must push on to get more funding to have a larger sample group.”

“Perhaps,” his companion replied, pulling some loose hairs away from her face. “But I really don’t think we’ve stretched them that far. We really need to do something definite, something so clearly outside their normal behaviour as to be conclusive. Need I remind you that we only have funding and authorisation until the end of term and that’s next week.”

“So soon? I dislike this four term system, it rushes everything.”

“So soon.” Clark gently mocked. “And as we have so few sessions left I feel we should put the ultimate change in place during Friday’s session so that our subjects have the weekend to do anything they need to do to react and we have the sessions next week to observe and finalise.”

“Yes, I concur. So what do you have in mind for our young man?”

Professor Jane Clark pretended to have to think about it, pursing her lip and twirling a length of her lanky hair around a finger. She probably shouldn’t have tried to fool a psychologist, but made her suggestions hesitantly anyway to give herself room to manoeuvre if he strenuously objected.

“I think, to keep the changes so far and to not humiliate Bill by doing anything too outlandish, how about a sort of modern cowboy look. You know, boots, jeans, the belt, check shirt and just to really prove its outside his comfort zone, a cowboy hat.”

She waited somewhat breathlessly, concerned that her colleague might think this too strange, or worse, not significant enough. She need not have worried as he waited just long enough to show he had considered the idea before agreeing.

“Yes, a cowboy. Its not going to get him arrested or be too detrimental to his peer image and its not something he would see anywhere else on campus so we have reasonable proof of cause in our favour.”

“Now you,” Clark said firmly, her relief at having her idea proved wasn’t enough to let her colleague off lightly.

“Hmm, well I must admit in retrospect that my modifications to Miss Deborah have been influenced by a picture in a magazine. Here, I’ll dig it out and you can help me as I’m not too well versed in the names of woman’s clothing and accessories.” The ease with which Professor Maizer found the magazine and the well thumbed nature of it was a clear indication to Professor Clark that this suggestion of his was as premeditated as hers. He flicked open the magazine and pointed to a historical photograph attached to an article on the role of American women in the 1960’s.

“Jackie Kennedy?” Jane Clark said a tad louder than she had intended, then quickly moved on to cover herself. “Oh yes, I see the small hat and handbag and such. I’ll pass on the template to our actors in Deborah’s group.”

* * *

Bill seriously thought about skipping his tutorial on Monday, the Friday session had been that weird. Nothing in the course work mind you, in fact that seemed to be so simple and general that there didn’t seem to be much point to it. No, it was his classmates that he was worried about. Tim, Jake and Paul had all shown up wearing cowboy hats! That was just too weird. He had asked them if they were going to a rodeo or something and they had pretended that there was nothing odd in how they were dressed. Anne the tutor hadn’t reacted either and that made Bill think they were playing some sort of prank on him.

Maybe it was one of those silly psych experiments, which annoyed Bill all the more as they had obviously chosen him as the patsy. He had even considered wearing a Red Indian costume today but that was the sort of politically incorrect stunt that got you tossed out of university. So instead he settled for hanging around down the hall from the tutorial room to see how the others were dressed today.

Sure enough, all three of the guys were still wearing those silly hats and now that he noticed it, boots as well. Bill wavered for a few moments, skip tute, attend tute? Then decided to hell with it, he would pretend nothing was going on, especially since he was back in his comfortable knee length shorts, t-shirt and trainers.

There was one last surprise for him though, for Anne had changed her hairstyle quite dramatically since he had last seen her. It was now black and seriously styled into almost a spherical shape around her head.

* * *

From his hidden vantage point Professor Maizer sat back from the monitor and sighed. The sound of the laboratory door opening caused him to glance up and then relax again when he saw it was Professor Clark.

“Bad news, I take it?” she inquired as she came up beside him to share his view of the scene in the tutorial room.

“Mmm, we’ve reached a finite limit with this subject. He has chosen to deliberately rebel against the peer pressure and from his suspicious glances I believe he suspects some deception from the others.” Maizer replied staidly, then picking up an unusual smell from his colleague paid more attention to her.

She was wearing her normal shapeless dress but with it she had a huge head scarf that completely covered her hair, something he had never seen her with before. He was still having trouble with the smell, it seemed to be a mixture of perfume, something else she never used, and something more acrid.

“Yes, I see what you mean,” Professor Clark said, not unaware that he was paying more attention to her than the screen. “And I have more bad news. Our other subject has resigned from her ‘social club’. I think their sudden change in appearance was too much for her as well. Still I think we got worthwhile results overall, and next time we can try proceeding more slowly.”

“Yes. That both subjects reacted at the same stage is probably a good indication of the limits of the inhibitor. So let’s call this a wrap.” Professor Maizer replied with his usual academic calm, then found his throat growing dry as he went on to his next suggestion.

“I was wondering if you would like to do dinner tonight, Jane? To celebrate a reasonable success.”

“Of course, Karl, that’s a wonderful idea. Just let me get changed.” she replied and went to her office.

Now or never, Maizer thought as he got up and went to his own office. He hoped he wasn’t doing anything too foolish.

Fifteen minutes later and he was waiting by the door out of the laboratory, feeling moderately foolish in his boots, jeans, belt, shirt and cowboy hat. The embarrassment didn’t last beyond his first sight of Jane in her powder pink skirt, jacket and hat combo, her hair now jet black and attractively shaped around her face. His only regret as he took her arm was that his tight jeans were showing the bulge of his hardening cock. Beside him Jane was just as aroused and knew she was going to fuck him senseless long before they got to the restaurant.