The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Mystery at the Museum

* * *

Author’s note: This was a story/screenplay I wrote for the September 2019 Arena event, where the challenge was to write “a story based around an old sci-fi, or horror movie, with mind control added.” This story is very loosely based on the 1933 horror movie “Mystery of the Wax Museum.” I have a soft spot for old movies and reporters in peril, and I hope you enjoy this tale as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Copyright © 2019 by 321, all rights reserved and such.

* * *
TITLE CARD
London — 1921
A wax museum. Famous sculptor IVAN IGOR and his partner JOE WORTH stand outside the main entrance. It is the middle of the night, and the streets are deserted.
IVAN

A little more time, Joe. That’s all we need. I’ve just finished my latest masterpiece- a full recreation of Marie Antoinette! She’s stunning, you’d never suspect that she was a wax figurine. She looks as if she just stepped away from 1788 Versailles. A few more like her, and we’ll have the crowds pounding down our door!

JOE

Oh really? What am I supposed to do in the meantime, Mr. Igor? Do a little song and dance for the bank manager? We’re both losing our shirts on this venture, and you know it. I don’t care what kind of displays you’ve got cooked up. People these days are at the nickelodeons, not staring at some dead woman from a hundred years ago! Maybe if you’d done what I asked when we started this thing we wouldn’t be in this pickle.

IVAN

No! What you asked for is an offense to art! I don’t care what they’re doing in Piccadilly... to take a sculpture and chop off her head, add some fake blood and a guillotine? Would you do the same to Michelangelo’s David? People will appreciate what we’re making here, Joe. This is fine art! We just need a few more months!

JOE
Smirking.

We need a few more minutes, that’s all. You’ll see. Our money worries are over.

Ivan sniffs the air. Horrified, he turns and discovers smoke pouring from the front door.
IVAN

Joe! The museum! I think it’s on fire!

JOE

Of course it’s on fire! This place is insured for ten thousand pounds! That’s more than what we’ve pulled in since we opened! The cops will never suspect anything. We’ll tell them how flammable the wax is... just a little spill at the wrong time in the wrong place. Tragic, really!

Ivan runs inside and shouts. Flames are everywhere. The statues are beginning to wilt from the heat. Beads of wax drip from the Marie Antoinette figure’s face. Suddenly, her head falls away and rolls to the floor. Ivan screams in grief and anger.
IVAN

You fool! You fool! My life’s work! Help me! Grab that hose, there’s still time to save some of the figures!

JOE

The only thing you should be concerned about saving is yourself! Come on, let’s get out of here before the whole place comes down on our heads!

IVAN

No! You won’t get away with this, Joe!

JOE

Then you can burn along with the rest of them!

Joe gives Ivan a powerful shove, sending the older man towards the flames. Panicked, Ivan reaches out to keep his balance, only to grab hold of a large barrel of molten wax. It overturns and covers him as he screams. Flames engulf the room, and Joe exits.
JOE

I guess the wax ones aren’t the only dummies in this room.

Joe laughs as he escapes the museum. Behind him, beams and debris rain down from the ceiling. The wax figures melt into puddles.
* * *
TITLE CARD
New York City — 1933
A photographer’s studio, late afternoon. JOAN GALE, a beautiful brunette model, is meeting with ARTHUR NAVI, a photographer.
JOAN

Wow. I have to say, Mr. Navi, you’ve got one heck of a studio here!

ARTHUR

Please, call me Arthur. And thank you. My father was... very generous with his will. Please, take a seat on that stool over there. You can leave your coat and bag on the hooks by the wall.

JOAN

Thanks. Should I... I mean... should I put on any makeup? Do you like my dress? I can change, if you want. I brought a spare... but this is my favorite. Unless you think it’s not so great? We can always do this another time, if that’s what you want. Really, it’s okay. I just-

ARTHUR

Relax, relax! Everything will be just fine. You look stunning, Miss Gale. In fact, you remind me of Joan of Arc. Strong and beautiful. Now have a seat, and take a deep breath. That will help you to relax.

JOAN

I’m sorry. I get terribly nervous sometimes!

ARTHUR

You’re doing just fine. Say, I’ve got a little something I like to use in these situations. Would you care to try it?

JOAN
Laughs.

It’s not gin, is it? Because I can’t stand the stuff. It makes me horribly ill. Not that I would drink any, of course!

ARTHUR

Oh no, not at all! You’ll find that being a drunk and being a photographer are two mutually exclusive things! My photos would come out all blurry otherwise!

Joan laughs again. She’s much more relaxed and at ease now.
Arthur reaches into his pocket and pulls out a sparkling green crystal on a gold chain. He holds it in the air. The studio lights make it sparkle.
JOAN

What’s that you’ve got there? It looks like a piece of costume jewelry?

ARTHUR

Precisely! So, here is the trick. Focus on this instead of the camera. Pretend that the camera is not even here. Just look at the jewel and ignore the camera. Look at the jewel. Ignore the camera. Look at the jewel.

Arthur takes a picture. The flash causes the jewel to scatter light across the room, washing over a surprised Joan. She gasps.
ARTHUR

See? Just look at the jewel, Joan.

The camera continues to flash over and over again as Arthur speaks.
ARTHUR

If you focus on the jewel, and not the camera, focus on the jewel, you’ll feel much better. much more relaxed. Much more calm. More much relaxed. So very relaxed. Watch the jewel. Watch the jewel. Calm and relaxed. You’re doing so well, Joan. What do you see?

JOAN

The... jewel...

ARTHUR

That’s very good, Joan. You can keep looking at the jewel, and relax. Doing so well, and relaxed. It’s been such a long day, Joan. Such a very long day. You’ve done so well today. Soon you can finish, and relax, and sleep. So tired, after such a long day. So sleepy.

JOAN
Visibly tired.

I am feeling... just a little...

ARTHUR

Watch the jewel, Joan. Focus on the jewel. Focus on the lights it makes. So pretty, Joan. So relaxing. Don’t take your eyes off of it. Keep watching, and relax. So relaxing. It’s making you very sleepy, Joan. Very, very sleepy. Watch, and relax. Watch, and sleep. So sleepy, Joan. Deep, deep sleep. Sleep. Relax. Sleep.

JOAN

My eyes... can’t... keep them... can’t...

ARTHUR

No, Joan. You can’t. You can’t keep them open. I’m going to count backwards from three, and with each number, you will feel ten times more sleepy than before. Your eyes will be ten times heavier than before. Three, so sleepy. Two, so very, very sleepy. One, deeply asleep.

The camera pans in on Joan as her eyes slide closed.
ARTHUR

Yes, my dear. Sleep. Deeply asleep. Your mind is totally asleep, as you listen to my voice, and obey my commands. You must always obey the sound of my voice. Only the sound of my voice. What do you obey, lovely Joan?

JOAN
Whispers.

Your voice. Only your voice.

ARTHUR

Now you will come with me. You will... obey.

JOAN

Yes. I shall obey.

Arthur laughs. He reaches for his chin and, after a bit of tugging, pulls off a latex mask to reveal a horribly scarred face. He is actually IVAN IGOR in disguise.
IVAN

My dear, beautiful Joan. Kiss me. Kiss me passionately, like a long-lost lover. I am your master, and you will obey me without question!

JOAN

Yes, Master. I shall obey.

Joan wraps her arms around Ivan’s grotesque frame and kisses him as the scene fades out.
* * *
Street scene, New York City. Daytime. A sign outside a small building proclaims ‘NEW WAX MUSEUM OPENING THIS WEEK!’ Inside, Ivan and his assistant PROFESSOR DARCY look over the displays.
DARCY

I have to hand it to you, Ivan. I never thought that you’d get this many works up and running this quickly!

Darcy pauses at a display and pokes at a fur-clad caveman.
DARCY

Some of them are better than others, to be honest. We need fewer Neanderthals and more gorgeous dames if we’re gonna make a go of it in this town.

IVAN
Clearly offended.

I have my assistants working on more displays, Professor. Under my direction they are getting better and better. Ah! But I have chanced upon a new discovery, one which will make the process of creating new displays as easy as setting up a campsite. With your help, Professor, we will be able to dominate the competition no matter how many Neanderthals we exhibit. Behold, the Joan of Arc display!

DARCY
Confused.

I’m no expert in wax museums, Ivan, but I think your Joan of Arc exhibit could use a little more Joan of Arc.

IVAN

Ah, just wait and see. Joan, my dear, you may approach us now.

Joan Gale steps from behind a curtain. She is dressed just like the French heroine, complete with sword. Her face is blank, and she moves like a sleepwalker. She stands in front of the men.
IVAN

I present to you... the famous Joan of Arc! Pious, dedicated, brave, clever, and of course, breathtakingly beautiful! Joan, take your place in the display.

JOAN

Yes, Master. I shall obey.

Joan calmly walks into the display and sinks to her knees. She places her sword between her knees and rests her hands on the hilt, head pointed towards the ceiling as if in prayer. She freezes in place.
IVAN

You see? She is completely immobile! Not a foot, not a hand, not a finger out of place! She will happily remain that way for as long as I wish it. Won’t you, my dear?

JOAN

Yes, Master. I shall obey.

DARCY

Having someone pretend to be a wax dummy? Now that’s the craziest thing I’ve ever... say, what’s wrong with her? She looks like she’s in some sort of trance.

IVAN

She is very deeply hypnotized, yes. She will obey any command I give to her. Including a command to kneel quietly throughout the museum hours, just like this, without movement or complaint.

DARCY

You’re bats, Igor! What happens when she gets a cramp? An itch? A speck of dust in her nose? They’ll see right through her then! She can’t possibly-

IVAN

She will ignore those things, unless I instruct her otherwise. Her mind is focused on me like a steel trap, Professor. No thoughts, no feelings, no sensations can tear her away from her assigned task. She will never tire or feel pain. Look here!

Ivan picks up one of his carving knives, long and wicked-looking.
DARCY

Now what do you plan on doing with that?

IVAN

Simply this, Professor. Now watch!

Ivan draws the blade along Joan’s arm. Blood flows freely from the wound. She does not react, and continues to stare into space. Ivan sets the bloody tool down and grins.
IVAN

No pain! No feeling! No thoughts! And should we require it, dear Professor, absolutely no memory of any of this! Perfectly lifelike because she is, indeed, perfectly alive! What wax artist can compete with the real thing?

DARCY

You’ve gone mad!

IVAN

Worse yet, Professor! I’ve gone commercial!

* * *
The newspaper offices of the DAILY TELEGRAPH, daytime. JIM O’CONNELL, the editor, peers out the window of his office. The door opens and FLORENCE DEMPSEY, a beautiful young reporter, enters the room.
JIM

Oh look, here comes the Fun Squad.

FLORENCE

Ha ha ha. I guess that makes you Public Enemy Number One. Tell me boss, what’s eating you this week? You look like your mother-in-law just moved into the guest bedroom.

JIM

What’s eating me this week? The same as last week, Florence. My former star reporter here in my office with no story, as usual. You’re a reporter, did you forget that?

FLORENCE

Oh, thanks for the reminder! I thought I was supposed to bring you tea and cookies like every other woman in this place.

JIM

At least then I’d be getting results from you.

FLORENCE

Who are you, Frank Gilbreth? Listen, I’m about to crack this Joan Gale story wide open. I’ll have you know that just yesterday I spoke to her landlady and talked my way into our girl’s apartment! Just from that alone I’ve got ten new leads. Now turn that burner down and let it simmer for a bit, you’ll get a better chicken that way.

Jim slams his hand on his huge oak desk, annoyed.
JIM

Haven’t you heard the latest? Joan Gale’s back in town. She was never missing at all. Said she went to visit her sister in Peoria. Sorry doll, but somebody already wrote the ending to your story.

Florence is taken aback by the news. She stammers.
FLORENCE

Sister? Jim, she doesn’t have any family, I checked! Why, that’s the first place I went looking! Why would she say that?

JIM
Scoffs.

Who cares?

FLORENCE

There’s got to be more to this story, Jim! A secret lover, or... or maybe-

JIM

A secret lover? You read too many dime-store novels! I’m not about to go ruin the poor girl’s reputation on a guess! This isn’t the Mirror, Florence! We don’t do that unless there’s a bunch of money in it for us! Now go find me a story about a girl who’s still missing! Or a story about the ducks in the park. Anything with at least three words in it!

FLORENCE

Three words! Well, I never! I can think of three words I’d like to say to you right now, Jim!

JIM

Sweetheart, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to rain on your parade. You’re not gonna like this, but I’m putting you on a story. My story. Ivan Igor is opening up a new wax museum downtown tomorrow. I want you to cover the opening. Make some friends, get some quotes, keep a lookout for the bigwigs.

FLORENCE

A wax museum? Come on, I’d rather be writing about ducks.

JIM

You’ll be living next to the ducks if you don’t get your pretty little legs down to that museum and get me a story! Now get out of here! I’m waiting for some little weasel from the Mayor’s office to come down here and yell at me. Out! That’s an order!

Florence storms out. Jim sighs and lights another cigar.
* * *
The wax museum, opening night. Florence and her roommate CHARLOTTE DUNCAN, both dressed to the nines, attend.
FLORENCE

Oh, I can’t take another minute of this! How many dummies can one person make, anyway?

CHARLOTTE

I don’t know why I put up with such a Philistine like you! Ivan Igor is a master sculptor. Did you know that he began working in stone, and moved on to wax?

FLORENCE

Did you know that I can’t wait to get out of here and do a real story on a real news item? Come on, let’s find this Igor Ivan fellow and get out of here.

Florence and Charlotte come across an excited crowd gathered around a display. Curious, they stop.
MAN 1

She’s so lifelike! I swear, it looks like she’s moving!

MAN 2

Nah, I’ve seen better wax dummies at Madame Tussauds.

WOMAN 1

Look at her eyes! It’s almost like they’re wet with tears! How can he do that with wax?

Ivan steps forward. He wears a top hat and a tuxedo.
IVAN

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you my newest masterpiece, Joan of Arc!

The crowd politely claps. Florence does not.
FLORENCE
To Charlotte

Who’s the Rockefeller?

CHARLOTTE

That’s Ivan Igor! He’s here! I can’t believe it! In person!

IVAN

The beautiful Joan of Arc. The Maid of Orleans! The French, crying out to the Lord to send them a hero, to defend them from the English armies ravaging their countryside. A young woman heeds the call of her God and her country, and leads her people to victory. Here she kneels before you, forever dedicated to her divine mission!

CHARLOTTE

Oh! She looks so lifelike!

FLORENCE

That face... Charlotte, that face! I know I’ve seen it before!

CHARLOTTE

Oh, now you’re being silly. Joan of Arc is famous! Of course you would recognize her face. Let’s get closer, maybe we can talk to Mr. Igor himself. Come on!

Charlotte and Florence approach the display. To their surprise, Ivan sees them and moves towards them.
IVAN

Ladies! I am honored that you have chosen to attend tonight.

CHARLOTTE

The honor is all ours, Mr. Igor! Your work is simply stunning! Isn’t it, Florence?

FLORENCE

It is, Mr. Igor. Tell me, did you have a model for Joan of Arc?

IVAN

Ah! Such secrets remain in the artist’s head, I’m afraid. My assistants and I rely on historical drawings for the most part. I admit that we also use contemporary photographs and drawings for inspiration. It is the realism that I crave more than anything else, Miss...

FLORENCE

Dempsey. Florence Dempsey. And this is my roommate Charlotte.

CHARLOTTE

Charlotte Duncan.

IVAN

Pleased to meet you both. I...

Ivan stares at Charlotte. In his mind, she transforms from herself into his prized, long-lost sculpture of Marie Antoinette. He cannot believe his good fortune.
IVAN

Miss Duncan, have you ever considered modeling? I have need of models for my exhibits. I can pay very handsomely....

CHARLOTTE

Me? Really? Sit for you? Oh my! I would give anything for the honor! I’ve been studying art at the college and I’ve always admired so much of your work, going all the way back to London! Oh, this is exciting!

FLORENCE

Now wait a second, why would you-

IVAN

Excellent, Miss Duncan! Here is my card. Please contact my assistant, Professor Darcy, to arrange a sitting. I have just the figurine I’d like you to model for. Please do not delay, I would like to begin work as soon as possible.

FLORENCE

Mr. Igor, if I could just ask you a few more questions, I could-

IVAN

I’m afraid I must take my leave. My dears, please enjoy the remainder of your visit.

Ivan shakes their hands, lingering on Charlotte’s, and then departs.
CHARLOTTE
Giddy.

Oh, wasn’t that wonderful?

Florence stares into Joan of Arc’s eyes.
FLORENCE

Something’s not right here, Charlotte. And I aim to get to the bottom of it.

* * *
The wax museum, evening. The building is deserted except for Darcy and Ivan.
DARCY

Well, if we can keep getting nights like this, we’ll be sitting pretty.

IVAN

I told you, Professor. My plan is flawless. See how they fawned over my latest creation? Now imagine a museum full of Joan of Arcs, all drawing praise and publicity. Now, before we proceed...

Ivan holds his hand in front of Joan’s face and snaps his fingers.
IVAN

Joan, you can move now. Stand up.

Joan struggles to her feet.
JOAN

Yes, Master.

IVAN

You will go to your quarters and take a long, hot bath. Your muscles will feel better as soon as they enter the warm, relaxing water. Your mind will remain empty of all thoughts.

JOAN

I hear and obey, Master.

IVAN

When you are done with your bath, you will dress in something a little more... comfortable, and you will come to my room. You will obey.

JOAN

Yes, Master. I shall obey.

Joan turns and leaves the room.
DARCY

Listen, Ivan, I don’t want to sound like a wet blanket, but...

IVAN

Then don’t. Bring Miss Duncan to me as soon as she contacts you. Do not interfere in any way, Professor, unless you’d like to have your own exhibit in my museum. Understood?

DARCY
Backs away, frightened.

Un... under... understood.

IVAN

Good.

* * *
The newspaper office, daytime. Jim is pacing around his office, smoking and agitated.
JIM

That’s the craziest idea I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard all of your ideas.

FLORENCE

I know what I saw, Jim! That figure had the same face as Joan Gale. You know, the missing girl who’s gone missing again?

JIM

So he saw a photo of her! Or it’s a coincidence! Look, all I asked you for was a simple article about a nice English guy who makes wax dummies. Can you do that for me, honey?

FLORENCE

What photo? We never ran the story! No one else ran a story! Where would he even begin to know about her? It was a dead ringer, Jim. I swear on my mother’s grave!

JIM

Aw gimme a break, your mother lives in Trenton!

FLORENCE

This is big, Jim. You can have your story on the wax museum opening. Three pages, single-spaced. But I’m not going to let this Gale case go. I’m getting to the bottom of this whether you like it or not!

Jim stubs out his cigar. He looks annoyed.
JIM

Fine. Fine! But I expect a story this time, Nellie Bly! Or you’ll be manning a switchboard by the end of the week. Got it?

FLORENCE

You can count on me, chief.

JIM
Collapses into chair.

Not likely.

* * *
The wax museum, daytime. Darcy and Charlotte walk through the display area.
CHARLOTTE

What happened to Joan of Arc?

DARCY

Come again?

CHARLOTTE

Joan of Arc! She was right here the other day... all of the other figures are still in place. What happened to her? Oh, I hope she wasn’t damaged by all of those people the other night!

DARCY
Nervous laugh.

She... Ivan has her placed into storage each night for safekeeping. She is his masterpiece, you understand. He looks after her like... a man might look after a lover.

CHARLOTTE
Laughs.

Well! If only a man would take such an interest in me! Clark Gable can lock me in a closet any-

IVAN

Welcome, Miss Duncan! I am so glad that you could join us!

CHARLOTTE

And I’m so glad that you want me to model for you, Mister Igor! Shall we get started?

IVAN

Yes, indeed. Professor, please, you may take your leave of us.

DARCY

Of course, Ivan. Miss Duncan.

IVAN

Now let me show you my creation. Here, stand before this mirror for a moment.

Charlotte admires herself in the mirror. She is very beautiful.
CHARLOTTE

Okay, now what?

IVAN

Now, I want you to please put this locket around your neck.

Ivan drapes a green and gold locket around Charlotte’s neck, and steps back.
CHARLOTTE

It’s beautiful! Why, it must be worth a fortune!

IVAN

Oh, if only! Imagine the museum I could build with that wealth and power! Imagine having that much wealth and power, Charlotte. Imagine if you truly were Marie Antoinette, with all of that power, money, and beauty. As beautiful as the locket you are wearing. Can you imagine it?

CHARLOTTE

Well, I certainly wouldn’t want to end up like her!

IVAN

But you wouldn’t, my dear Charlotte, would you?

Ivan turns Charlotte to face the full-length mirror. She stares at her reflection, as if entranced by it.
IVAN

Can you imagine it? Just imagine it, my dear. It’s easy if you know how. Simply empty your mind of all thoughts. Focus on the pretty locket. Imagine wearing it as the Queen of France. Beautiful, powerful. Empty your mind, and focus on the locket.

CHARLOTTE

It’s... it’s so...

IVAN

Yes, Charlotte. It’s so beautiful. Look into the mirror, and watch yourself transform, as you stare at the pretty, pretty pendant. Listen to my voice. Only my voice, Charlotte. See only the pendant. Hear only my voice.

Charlotte’s face is blank. Her eyes are wide and empty as she stares helplessly into the mirror.
CHARLOTTE

Locket... voice... yes...

IVAN

Your eyes are getting very heavy, Charlotte. You need to close them, and rest. Rest. So very tired. Rest. Rest and dream of being queen. Rest, and sleep. Deep, deep sleep. Listen to my voice, and sleep. Your eyes are so, so heavy.

Charlotte’s eyes flutter and close. She sighs softly as she slips into a hypnotic trance.
IVAN

That’s it, my dear. Sleep. Sleep. All your thoughts are fading away. There is only my voice, and the locket. Can you hear my voice?

CHARLOTTE

Yes. Only your voice.

IVAN

Very good, my dear. Now, you are wearing Queen Antoinette’s locket. Do you know what that means?

CHARLOTTE

I... I don’t...

IVAN

Shhhh. Sleeeeep. Deeply asleep. Hearing only my voice. It means that you are the Queen. You are Queen Antoinette. The one and only. Your name is Marie Antoinette.

CHARLOTTE

Nods.

My name is Marie Antoinette.

Ivan smiles wickedly. He takes the hypnotized woman by the hand.
IVAN

You will believe that you are Marie Antoinette, the Queen of France. You will believe this with your mind, body, and soul. Repeat.

CHARLOTTE

I will believe that I am Marie Antoinette. With my... my...

Ivan, annoyed, squeezes her hand.
IVAN

With your mind, body, and soul. Say it!

CHARLOTTE

With my mind, body, and soul.

IVAN

Good. Now come with me, my Queen.

CHARLOTTE

Yes.

* * *
Florence’s apartment, evening. The phone rings.
FLORENCE

Hello? I... Charlotte, I’ve been worried sick about you! You didn’t tell me you were going to be out all night! Where are you?

CHARLOTTE

I have some wonderful news, Florence. Mr. Igor has invited me to travel to Europe. I’ll be departing on the Queen Mary tomorrow morning.

FLORENCE

Europe! Well, this is sudden! But... won’t you need your clothes? Your shoes? Aren’t you going to come home and pack?

CHARLOTTE

I... I... don’t need... to come home to the apartment. Yes, everything is fine. Mr. Igor took me shopping this afternoon to buy new clothes and a suitcase. He is very kind. I am in good hands.

FLORENCE

Yes, but Charlotte...

CHARLOTTE

I must go now, Florence. I will send you plenty of postcards. Good night.

FLORENCE

Char... hello? Hello?

Florence slams the receiver into the cradle, then picks up and dials.
FLORENCE

Operator? Get me the editorial office of the Daily Telegraph.

* * *
A dark bedroom. Charlotte holds a phone receiver.
IVAN

Very good, my beautiful queen. You’ve done very well.

CHARLOTTE

Yes, Master.

IVAN

When I snap my fingers, you will see me as your handsome king. You are madly in love with me, Queen Antoinette. We have a storybook romance together, you and I. You desire me like no other man. Is that clear, my dear?

CHARLOTTE

Yes, Master. Very clear.

IVAN

Joan, be a good girl and remove your clothes.

JOAN

Yes, Master. I shall obey.

The camera pans to the floor as Joan’s dress drops to her feet.
IVAN

One, two, three.

Snaps fingers.
CHARLOTTE

Oh, Louis! How I have waited for this very moment!

IVAN

Then come to me, my Queen. Let us make this a night to remember.

* * *
The wax museum, late evening. Florence is alone. She snoops around with a flashlight.
FLORENCE
To herself.

Okay Jim. You want a big story? I’ll get you a big story. I’ll get you a story so big it’ll be the first thing you couldn’t fit in your big, fat... oh, here we go.

She finds the Joan of Arc display.
FLORENCE

No Joan. What a surprise. I know you’re up to something, Ivan Igor. And I’m going to prove it!

Florence slips through a door marked Ôstaff only.’ The camera lingers on the sign.
* * *
The newspaper office, late evening. A weary Jim returns to his office. His assistant EDITH PLUM is the only other person in the large office.
EDITH

You’re burning the midnight oil, aren’t you?

JIM

That makes two of us, Edith. Say, why don’t you go on home? Your husband is going to starve to death if you keep working so late.

EDITH

It’ll do him some good. He could stand to lose a few pounds. Hey, a phone call came in for you. It’s from Florence.

JIM

Oh, great. What is our star reporter up to now?

EDITH

All the message said is “You’re going to get that Joan Gale story from me after all. See you at the wax museum.”

JIM

You gotta be kidding me. Of all the... say, listen, before you go, call Sergeant McKenzie down at the precinct, tell him to send a squad car over to that wax museum.

EDITH

Okay, but it’s your funeral.

JIM

It’ll be hers, if she’s not careful!

* * *
The wax museum. Florence wanders into Ivan’s workshop.
FLORENCE

So this is where the magic happens, huh? For a wax museum full of sculptures, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot going on here. Oh, I wish I’d brought my Brownie along with me!

Florence opens an old-fashioned ledger. It is covered with dust.
FLORENCE

Whew! This place sure could stand to use a woman’s touch! Now what do we have here... sales figures, wax shipments, assistant salaries... tools... why, all of this is from years ago? Didn’t Ivan say that he had assistants working for him?

She flips to the back of the book.
FLORENCE

It’s still current... this is the latest volume, only he hasn’t paid for any wax or materials or assistants in over a year! How is he making new statutes if...

DARCY

Hypnotism, that’s how!

Florence spins around and shines her flashlight on Darcy.
FLORENCE

Look out! I’ve got a gun and I know how to use it!

DARCY

You have a gun? Good. Now hear me out, little lady. I hear you’ve got it in good with the press. Have I got a story for you! You see, these figures aren’t sculptures at all, they’re real people! Under a hypnotic compulsion! Igor is kidnapping them and forcing them to be in his sick little wax show.

FLORENCE

That’s ridiculous! Mesmerism doesn’t work like that, mister...

DARCY

Darcy’s the name. Professor Darcy. Look, I can give you all of the evidence you need to blow this story wide open. For the right price, that is. The old fool is up in his bedroom with two of his girls, he’ll never know what we’ve been up to here. You can have everything for three grand. That’s my final offer.

FLORENCE

Three grand! Why don’t you ask for the Hope Diamond while you’re at it? I’ve got half a mind to turn you over to the police just as you are.

IVAN

That will not be necessary, my dear.

Darcy and Florence both gasp. Ivan stands at the entrance to the lab. Charlotte, dressed as Marie Antoinette, stands by his side.
IVAN

I should have known that you would betray me eventually, Professor. Fortunately, my beautiful queen suggested that we come check on you.

CHARLOTTE

Our subjects have been deceitful, my king!

FLORENCE

Char... Charlotte? Is that you? Why in heaven’s name are you dressed like that? Charlotte!

DARCY

He’s got her mesmerized! I saw it myself! Now look here old man, I’m taking the dame and I’m walking out of here, see?

IVAN
Laughs and smiles.

You may try, Professor! Now, my queen, recall the powers that your status have granted you. Take care of our petulant subject while I deal with this threat to our kingdom!

CHARLOTTE

Yes, Master. I shall obey.

DARCY

Okay, you asked for it, old man!

Darcy produces a large knife. He slashes at Ivan, who holds up his hands. The knife slashes through Ivan’s hands and face, and Darcy yells in triumph.
DARCY

Die! Die, you fool!

Ivan continues to laugh. His hands and face are horribly cut, but they are not bleeding. Ivan begins tearing at his skin, revealing that he is wearing a latex mask.
IVAN

Do you think I feel pain, Professor? I do not! I have been through more pain than you could ever imagine... up until this moment, that is!

Ivan peels off his mask to reveal his horribly scarred face. Darcy screams.
DARCY

Get away from me, you monster! Get back, get back! Get back!

Ivan presses forward as Darcy retreats. The Professor trips and falls into an open wax mold.
DARCY

Please! You can have the girl and everything! Just let me go!

IVAN

Have I ever told you, Professor Darcy, of your stunning resemblance to Sherlock Holmes?

Ivan turns a handle. Steaming hot wax pours from a spigot and begins to fill the wax mold. Darcy screams as his body is covered by hot wax. With a choking cry, the wax fills his open mouth, and suddenly there is nothing but silence.
FLORENCE

Charlotte! Snap out of it! Charlotte, it’s me! Your friend! Your roommate!

CHARLOTTE

I am your Queen! Now look into my eyes!

FLORENCE

This is ridiculous! Charlotte, listen to me! He’s got you under some kind of spell! He’s made you think that you’re the Queen of France! Snap out of it!

CHARLOTTE

Foolish girl! Look into my eyes! I command you!

FLORENCE

I can’t... Charlotte, please!

Florence backs up against the wall. She is trapped. Helplessly, she cowers as Charlotte approaches.
CHARLOTTE

You will do as I say, peasant! Look into my eyes!

FLORENCE

What are you talking about? What about your... eyes...

Florence’s eyes grow wide and glassy as she stares at Charlotte. Her mouth falls open.
CHARLOTTE

That’s it, my dear. You are completely in my power. I am an all-powerful monarch, and you cannot resist my will! It is impossible to look away. Look into my eyes, and obey!

FLORENCE

Your... eyes...

CHARLOTTE

Look, and obey. Look, and obey. Obey. Into my eyes, and obey.

FLORENCE

O... obey? Nnnnooo... Charlotte, you... you can’t...

CHARLOTTE

I am the Queen of France, and you are my subject! Now, obey me!

Florence sinks to the floor. Her eyes close, and she forces them open again.
CHARLOTTE

Look deep into my eyes, peasant. Look, and obey. Look into them. Deep. Deeper.

Behind Charlotte, Ivan appears.
IVAN

Deeper, Miss Dempsey. The deepest, deepest sleep. A place where your free will no longer exists, where you must obey every command you are given. The life of a servant girl, a subject of the mighty Queen Antoinette. Rest, Miss Dempsey. Rest, and awaken to your new life.

FLORENCE

I am a sssservant... girl... I musssst... must obey.

IVAN

Who are you, my dear?

FLORENCE

I am a servant girl. I must obey.

IVAN
Wicked smile.

Yes, you shall. Yes my dear, you shall. Come, my queen. Let us instruct our newest subject in the ways of our kingdom.

CHARLOTTE

Yes, Master.

* * *
The newspaper office, the next day.
FLORENCE

And that was that. I had a bad feeling about Professor Darcy from the moment I met him at that opening night event.

JIM

What a sick lunatic! Kidnapping those poor girls and covering them with wax to make them into mannequins! They must have died horribly!

FLORENCE

Well at least he got a taste of his own medicine. I can’t imagine what he would have done to me or Charlotte or Joan if Ivan hadn’t been there to save us.

JIM

Sometimes, Florence, I’d prefer you as a wax dummy. At least then you’d finally shut up!

FLORENCE

Oh, the lost Marx Brother! You’re a real vaudeville star, Jim. I don’t see you complaining about my lead story, now do I? Let that be a lesson to you. Never tell a girl what she can’t do, Jim. You’ll only make her do it even better.

JIM

So if I tell you to get out of my office?

FLORENCE

Exactly. See? What did I tell you? I’m taking a leave of absence for a few months to join Charlotte in Europe. She’s traveling around as a model and invited me to join her. So I’ll be out of your hair for a while.

JIM

But... Florence! You can’t just disappear now! You’re the hottest reporter in town! I can think of ten stories I want you on!

FLORENCE
Leans in seductively.

I am the hottest reporter in town. And there’s only one story I want to be on.

She plants a passionate kiss on a surprised Jim’s mouth.

There’s more of that waiting for you when I get back.

JIM

I... you... but...

FLORENCE

The words you’re looking for are Ôbon voyage,’ love.

She turns and walks out of the office, wiggling her hips as she does so.
JIM

Bon... I... whew. What a dame!

* * *
TITLE CARD
London — 1934
Street scene, London. Daytime. A crowd gathers in front of a large building. The marquee reads ÔTHE MASTER OF WAX RETURNS! OPENS WEDNESDAY!’
Ivan tours the display with LORD ROTH, a finely-dressed older gentleman.
IVAN

You see, Lord Roth, your investment has already begun to pay for itself. These crowds have followed me throughout Europe. They’ll come, and their friends will come, and their friends will come. There’s no telling how much you may make!

LORD ROTH

Well, just as long as we can keep the newspapers out of the way. Dreadful business with what happened in Milan. Why would anyone accuse you of being a kidnapper, of all things?

IVAN
Laughs.

Lord Roth, I have been accused of many things by many people. It’s the jealousy that gets them, you see. In New York, my own assistant so desperately wanted to match me that he resorted to attempted murder! I’m sure that the police will find the missing woman soon enough. Now, enough of that! Let me show you some of my newest works!

They pass by several exhibits as Ivan narrates.
IVAN

See here! Helen of Troy, the most beautiful woman on Earth, the face that launched a thousand ships. I think I captured her eyes especially well, don’t you?

LORD ROTH

They’re beautiful. So lifelike!

IVAN

I’m sure that you’ll recognize Sherlock Holmes, the famous detective.

LORD ROTH

Hmm. I’m not an artist, sir, but why did you choose to make him look so anguished? Surely our greatest detective could stand to be more confident, not fearful!

IVAN

Ah, but the display! It is not finished yet, so I can see your confusion. Yes, he is about to engage in a pitched battle with Professor Moriarty atop Reichenbach Falls! I am still working on his counterpart, but all is going well.

LORD ROTH
Shakes head.

Well, as long as it is finished before the opening, I suppose.

IVAN

Indeed, Lord Roth! Now, here we have Lucrezia Borgia, the Italian beauty at the center of intrigue in 15th century Italy. My newest sculpture, in fact. I’m very proud of it. They say you cannot produce work while touring, but...

LORD ROTH

Yes, so I’ve heard. Oh! What have we here?

IVAN

Ah, one of my favorites. You may not have heard of her, Lord Roth, but she’s well known in New York. Nellie Bly, the famous reporter, who traveled around the world and made headlines everywhere she went. This was one of my most difficult works to execute.

LORD ROTH

Yes, but... ahem... she’s barely dressed!

IVAN

She is undercover in a psychiatric hospital. you see. A beautiful young woman, reduced to being leered at by staff and patients alike. Will she persevere? Will she escape? Of course, we know the ending. Do you like it?

LORD ROTH

Not really my taste, I’m afraid.

IVAN

But the public demands it.

LORD ROTH

I suppose they do! Well, I’m afraid I must take my leave. There’s a building dedication in Hammersmith that I simply must attend to. Wednesday evening it is, then?

IVAN

You have my word, Lord Roth. All will be ready!

LORD ROTH

Yes, well.

Lord Roth leaves. Ivan smiles until it is clear that the Lord has left the room. His smile curls into an evil, menacing stare.
IVAN

My queen, you may approach.

Charlotte appears, looking stunning in a full-length ballroom gown. Her beautiful pendant is nestled within her impressive bodice.
CHAROLTTE

Yes, Master. What is your command?

IVAN

We still need a Professor Moriarty! And a Cleopatra! I’m afraid we have much work to do tonight! You’re going to go on a very special mission for me this evening, my lovely companion.

CHARLOTTE

Yes, Master. I shall obey.

IVAN

Yes, you shall. You shall indeed.

Maniacal laughter as we fade to black.
TITLE CARD
THE END?