The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

(Well, it’s been a while, but I’m back on the old Mashiekeh grind again. I expect there will be one more chapter before I finally bring this story to a close. Lots of thanks to those who have helped with editing, as well as those who e-mail me with feedback. Copyright still mine, and if every chapter to this point has not managed to offend you, you’ll probably be okay with this one as well. If every chapter to this point has offended you, then you’ll probably read this one regardless of what I say, so knock yourself out.)

Mashiekeh: The Reckoning

To call the encounter intense would have been an understatement. The entire restaurant had gone deathly quiet, focused for reasons they could not explain on the two men facing each other. Neither had shown any sign of violence, or even hostility, but all seemed to center around them. Even the gorgeous women to either side of them drew no notice... everyone sensed that something was about to happen.

Kyle, who had been sampling from each of them over the past hour, had an advantage there, and quickly established a link between himself and all but a few of them. Sparro had made only a few connections, though his one to the blonde at his side was much more solid than the others, and spoke of affinity. Kyle had such a connection with Marlena, but did this only to protect her from Sparro. If he failed to do that, then all of this would be for nothing.

“I must admit that I am impressed, Kyle.” Sparro’s voice carried no hint of tension or even anger, but rather a patience that spoke of centuries of experience. “However, the time for hide and seek has passed.”

“I won’t hand her over,” Kyle said quietly. “If I have to fight you again, I will.” Slowly he began drawing on all of his lines, marshaling strength to defend against whatever Sparro might hurl his way, but no attack came. Sparro shook his head, then released his lines.

“The time for that has passed as well, I’m afraid. Her fate,” he indicated Marlena, “is no longer in my hands, any more than yours is.”

Kyle did not release his connections, wondering what Sparro was up to. “What are you talking about? Why have you chased me so far, then?”

“Had you remained under my care longer, I might have had the opportunity to warn you of such things before they became relevant, but that is neither here nor there. Gustav has made his claim to your little project public, and since she has not yet been returned, he has demanded a Reckoning, and it has been granted. It will convene in two days time.”

Now Kyle was really confused. “What are you talking about? What is a Reckoning?”

Sparro glanced around, then shook his head. “Not here, now is not the time or place. We should go somewhere more quiet to speak. The rooms you have hired should suffice.” And with that, he turned on heel and left the restaurant. Pausing in the doorway he added; “Assuming I have taught you anything, you will not need to be reminded to clean this up. It would be bad attention given what is coming.” The door closed behind him.

Kyle looked at Marlena, who was staring at the door, radiating fear and co nfusion. Kyle cursed softly, but then addressed the crowd, who were now focused on him. “There is nothing to fear. You will go about your businesses and forget that anything special happened just now. All is well.” Kyle released his connections, left a tip, and offered his hand to Marlena, who took it slowly. “I don’t know what is going on, but we don’t seem to be in danger at the moment. We’d better go hear what he has to say.” Marlena nodded, and they walked out after Sparro, wondering what on earth would happen now.

* * *

The room was almost deathly quiet, despite the seven or eight scantily-clad women who were in it, all staring with palatable fear at the half dressed man reclining in a worn chair against one wall. He licked his lips, momentarily revealing pointed teeth that flashed in the low fluorescent light. This was the life... Damien wondered why he’d never thought to do this before.

It had been a simple enough matter.. . with the pimp, Tony, dead, and even Mara, who’d been sort of an alpha female gone, this particular stable of whores had been without any form of management. They’d needed a protector, and he needed to feed. The result was... satisfying... at least to him.

He hadn’t killed any of them, yet. Oh, a drink here and a drink there, but the true prey was their Johns, several of whom would never be seen again. It was the perfect arrangement... well, almost.

There were still restrictions on him... commands that held him back from fully enjoying what should have been the perfect life. His dependence on Sparro had been necessary at first... a bargain in return for which Sparro had saved him from Hunters, but now was galling, a trap from which there seemed to be no escape.

His complexion darkened, and several of the whores drew back in fear. One simple command, words uttered years ago, mandated that he not only remain in town, where he had been a traveler, but that he check in for commands at least weekly. Commands! He was not meat, a human fit only for feeding superior beings, but a Nosferatu, one of the chosen to feast on the meat. And now he was held, bound by this Mashiekeh!

Suddenly he leaped up and grabbed one of the younger whores by the neck and held her aloft. For a moment he was resolved to rip her throat out and drink the torrent of blood to follow. It was an insanely messy way to feed... and almost certain to send the rest running for their lives. He set her down, breathing deeply.

“You will go and find someone fat... hugely, grossly fat. When he has paid and you have bedded him, you will page me and I will feast. If he is fat enough, I will be too full to feed on you. Do you understand? Well?”

The young prostitute was shaking horribly, but managed to stutter out a weak affirmative before fleeing. The others looked as though they wanted to do the same, but instead stayed where they were, wondering how they had ever landed in s uch a mess.

It took a while for the shakes to stop... Damien managed to avoid looking at the whores, knowing that at this particular moment, he didn’t trust himself to not kill and feed on them all, anyway. He wasn’t thirsty... at least, not for that. There had to be something else, something to free himself... ah... perhaps...

“Take of your clothes, all of yo u. This will be a very long night.”

* * *

Something... strange... was going on. Carrie knew that, but for the life of her she couldn’t figure out what exactly that might be. It wasn’t just that business had gotten good in what was typically the beginning of her off-season. Hotel management dealt with highs and lows, and after some good Summer business she had been preparing for the slow times, yet her room count had been drastically rising for the past few days, with occupants ordering room service more than was normal and even bringing a large number of guests.

She had looked into it, wondering if there was a convention on, or something that had evaded the notice of her PR crew, but there was nothing. It was as if the whole crew had just randomly decided to arrive one day. They only paid by the day, but seemed to be settling in almost immovably. All things considered, it was an unexpected windfall, a boost for business that might well finance future opportunities. But there was something else, as well.

There were records of late night complaints from some guests, speaking of loud and inappropriate noises coming from several rooms, as well as some skinny-dipping in the pool and even nakedness in the hallways. There were also records of sending attendants to look into these instances. But none of the attendants had any memory of doing so. For that matter, none of the guests in question had any memory of issuing the complaint. There was even one note that mentioned Carrie herself looking into an apparent three-way going on in the Jacuzzi, which she certainly had no memory of. Yet if she hadn’t known better, she could have sworn the note was in her own handwriting.

Another new couple passed the doors, and Carrie snapped to attention... she had a few rooms available yet. “Welcome to the Mountain Home, do you have a reservation?”

She looked up at the couple with a smile... which vanished suddenly as her eyes widened in shock. The man was not particularly good looking, though there was a presence about him that instantly demanded attention and respect. She would have given it to him, as well, if not for the... woman... walking by her side.

Carrie supposed that his companion might have been about college age, and quite attractive, but any respect she might have had was abolished with her clothing. The full leather outfit was very tight, and cut away in strategic locations, revealing the underside of her breasts, as well as diving well below her waistline, all finished with a collar that looked ready for a leash. The top (what there was of it) was so tight that the pair of nipple clamps the woman was wearin g were plainly displayed, and finishing the look were her eyes, full of wanton lust when she looked at him... as well as when she looked at Carrie, for that matter.

He smiled, as though reading her thoughts, and answered her first question before she could think to say anything about his companions attire. “No, but I would appreciate some rooms, the best you have. I don’t know how long I’ll be staying..”

Carrie’s hands flew over the computer’s keyboard before she could even close her mouth. The best room left, the Anderson suite, appeared on her screen. “Will you be paying with cash or credit card, Mr...?”

“Gustav, my dear. I am Mr. Gustav. And I don’t think that I’ll be pay...”

Gustav.

Everyone in the room froze as the unvoiced word reverberated through their heads. Gustav looked more surprised than he had in a century as he spun. An incredibly old looking man was leaning on the doorway to hall of rooms as though it was all that held him up. He smiled, and the voice returned.

You know the rules. Nothing to attract outside attention. I know you have the finances to pay for several thousand rooms, and so this shall not be a burden for you, yes? And do try to dress your domestics more appropriately in the future. The last thing we need is the vice squad trying to sting us. Erasing police records can be so trying, these days.

Gustav’s look remained shocked, but he slowly turned around to face Carrie. She was still staring at the old man, unable to believe what she was happening. First a woman dressed in a way that would make a whore blush, and now a man who was speaking in her head... “Who are...” she started. The old man cut her off with a wink, and the voice returned.

Be easy, child. There is nothing to fear here. Continue processing Mr. Gustav as though nothing has happened, then come to my suite when your shift is done. You will have some more...complaints... to address.

There was a beat, and Carrie blinked, embarrassed. What was she doing? Oh, yes! “How will you be paying, Mr. Gustav?”

Gustav was not listening to her, but licking his lips nervously. It wasn’t until she repeated herself the fourth time that he glared at his companion for some reason, then pulled out his credit card...

* * *

“As you may have noticed, we Mashiekeh are somewhat... territorial... when it comes to our homes and livelihood.” Sparro sat lounging in a hotel room as though it were the most natural thing in the world. Kyle sat opposite him, with Marlena off to the side, while Allie and Andrea were busy looking decorative. Angelica sat in the corner, afraid to look up. Sparro had not so much as glanced at her yet. Michelle he had left in the car. “Therefore we do not often come in contact with one an other. When we do, it is often at invitation, a one on one type scenario, and so any problems that arise are handled in a civilized manner between individuals. Unfortunately, there are also times when conflict cannot be handled in such a manner, and so we find ourselves in need of higher authority. When such a time comes, any of us may call for a Reckoning.”

He took a sip of water before he continued. “A Reckoning is a council of sorts... a gathering, on neutral ground, of all Mashiekeh who can be contacted and can attend. The group hears both complaints, and then gives a consensus ruling. Reckonings tend to be rare, because few of us are willing to admit to such ineptitude in dealing with our personal affairs. More often they are threats to get things done; rarely do we let things go so far. I doubt Gustav truly wanted one... he thought to intimidate me, only to learn that you had gone on your own, and so would face him yourself.”

Kyle nodded slowly. ”So he will claim that Marlena belongs to him, I will say she belongs to no one, and the council will vote on her fate?”

Sparro rolled his eyes. “Only if you wish to seal her fate in his harems, where she would certainly be within a day if that is the best you can do. Any unclaimed human can be made a domestic, on a first come, first served basis as far as we are concerned. If you say she belongs to no one, then by his very claiming of her, she will belong to him, and no need for the Reckoning. Very embarrassing for him, of course, as you had no part in calling the Reckoning, but based on our last encounter, I doubt that would be your preferred result.”

Kyle grimaced. “So y ou’re saying that the only way to save Marlena...”

“...is to take her yourself, yes. If you have marked her, then you will still be fighting his claim, that in doing so you infringed on his territory, as he is owner of the Golden Dancer. Your ignorance of such is actually a defense, because that means he had not been clearly marking his territory. A toss up, though he will have an advantage in the rules. Still, we are Mashiekeh. Following rules is not our greatest strength. Gustav is impulsive, confrontational. Irritating. If you can win their opinions, you can win the girl. But I warn you, whatever their decision, you must not attempt to de fy them as you did me. You would not succeed, indeed, you would likely be driven to the likeness of death, and she would join his harems anyway, though she might be... mistreated... for any irritation you caused. Think on it.”

“I will,” Kyle sighed. “It doesn’t seem as though I have much choice.”

“Oh, there is always choice...” Spa rro said. “At least, there always is for us. I, for instance, have chosen not to just throw you to the wolves so you could say the wrong things and be punished. I do dislike seeing my apprentices shame my teachings.”

Kyle watched him warily. There had to be more to this, but the old Mashiekeh didn’t seem too interested in clarifying, instead choosing that moment to look at Angelica for the first time since arriving.

“She was always my favorite, as I think you knew. I never really thought about it... why so often I would call on her instead of the others. She is beautiful, yes, but among my domestics, that is a matter of choosing between sunsets.”

He rose and walked over to her, lifting her chin with his hand till she was looking up at him, trembling slightly. “But I think I now know. Others are broken so easily... it is difficult to sense those who merely bend. Instead of fighting me, you chose the life I off ered you... and when given the choice between Masters, you chose him.”

Sparro released her and turned back to Kyle. “Such strength is a truly rare gift... the strength to choose the inevitable, and thereby gain control of it. I always sensed it, that strength, like the strength of a willow that forever bends but is never broken. It is my last gift to you, Kyle. To take her back would be to break her at last... an utter waste. Enjoy her as you will... but be careful never to turn your back.”

With that, he walked to the door and opened it. “Kyle, newly Mashiekeh, you are hereby invited to the Reckoning set to happen tomorrow. You will bring the girl Marlena. Any resistance and you shall be punished, and the girl taken anyway. I wish you luck, young one. Now, I must go to stand as one of your judges. Farewell.”

* * *

The call had come just as she was supposed to be heading home, a noise complaint from room 209 about room 215. Carrie had been tempted to just pass it on, but now was quite relieved that she hadn’t done so. To think that she had almost missed such a golden customer service opportunity nearly brought her to tears; though luckily she was too busy concentrating on the task at hand to think about much else.

She’d never been much of one for high heels... her job required too much footwork around the hotel. So getting used to the four inch spikes she was now wearing was going to take some doing. Still, she felt confident that so long as she kept practicing sh e’d get it sooner or later.

That’s it, child. Now, with the music...

With only the occasional wobble to reveal her uneasiness, Carrie moved over to the stereo and pressed play. The music was light jazz with a particularly soulful tenor sax that just screamed sensuality, and she matched the rhythm carefully as she remo ved her clothes.

Well... not her clothes, per se. Her clothes were where she had tossed them upon entering the room, a lightly tussled pile in the corner. The clothes she wore now were so much better suited for customer service that she thought it a wonder that she’d ever worn her old frumpy outfits. Now, she strutted (as well as she was able) across the floor in a long fur coat. Underneath were the real treats... but she hadn’t gotten to them yet.

Slowly she shrugged out of the fur coat, trembling slightly as its soft underlining caressed her skin on the way down. Sans coat, she wasn’t much covered. A mini-mini-skirt that covered about as much total skin as her gartered fish-nets was complemented by the frilly thing that served as a bra up top, covering little while shaping all. She spread her legs as she turned to face her customer, hands going up to hair to play with it a bit, all while arching her back to push her breasts out. If she remembered properly... this was how it was meant to be done...

Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

Quickly, child, put the coat back on and answer it... no point in keeping other customers waiting.

Carrie leaped to get the coat, a bad idea in high heels, falling to the floor right next to it. The old man, still wrink led beyond belief but seemingly less so than days before, shook his head. Ah, it has been long since I trained a domestic myself. Please, do it as best you can, just be dressed before the door opens.

Carrie had just managed to regain her feet and slide into the coat as the door was opened by another of the scantily clad women who had been alternating between whispering advice and encouragement in her ear. It was Mr. Gustav, of the Anderson suite, if she remembered correctly. Her hotel training kicked in immediately.

“Ah, Mr. Gustav, is there anything the staff can do for...”

Be silent, child. You may continue practicing if you will, but do try to keep your feet this time. Carrie cut off immediately, once again sliding out of the coat, shivering again but determined to do it right, now that two guests were watching.

She might not have been standing there, for all the attention that Gustav paid her. “I didn’t think I’d ever see you again, old monster,” he said after a moment of staring.

The old man smiled, and words filled the minds of all those around. There is a reason that it is called the likeness of death, Gustav. You never were one to take your lessons seriously, but I’d hoped that Sparro, at least, would have it explained it to you after your alliance.

Gustav snarled. “I always hated how you would do that. Couldn’t you show me the respect, at least, to address me with a voice?”

The old man tilted his head. I suppose I could... though you’d understand not a word of it. My vocal chords are not what they used to be, though they may be capable of some sound now... The parched gray lips opened, and a hideous groaning came from them, as dry and dead as day old cut grass. The old man looked pained as it continued, but smiled again when the lips closed. You’ll understand if my voice wasn’t the highest priority of recovery.

The snarling stopped, as Gustav looked almost embarrassed for a brief moment, before the intensity returned to his eyes. “Well enough then, but silently or no, I want an answer, old monster. Why are you here? What do you want?”

Why am I here? A Reckoning has been called, though you seem to have forgotten it. All Mashiekeh who are able to attend shall attend. And I, my old apprentice, am Mashiekeh. As for what I want... his eyes fluttered to Carrie, who positively shuddered in pleasure under his eye, it is no more than any want. Besides, unless I am mistaken, it was you who called this Reckoning. This is about what you want, is it not?

Gustav shook his head. “You never obeyed any summons without reason. My squabble with Sparro’s apprentice will be dealt with within minutes of his arrival with my property. You did not choose to reveal yourself at this moment with that alone in mind.”

The old man looked mildly impressed. I seem to have underestimated you, Gustav, a mistake I once swore never to make again. I am ashamed to say it, but you are right. I do have reasons, and they are my own, though my wish to see you and Sparro again... he paused, may have had something to do with it. I grow tired, and would return to my domestics, unless... another pause, unless you wish to return to an old argument now? Perhaps you would rather I returned to the way you left me before?

Gustav seemed to consider it, but shook his head. “Past quarrels should be left in the past. I have long since moved past the time when I would need a show of force to demonstrate my independence from my old master. Welcome back, Saul. I will leave you to your domestics.” And with that he turned and walked out, perhaps a bit more quickly than usual.

Carrie struggled forward to close the door, sensing that she was wanted for more customer service. It was difficult... in removing the skirt it had become lodged under one of her heels, and she was still trying to think of a sexy way to remove it.

The old man, Saul, looked at her absently for a moment, then sighed. A difficult problem indeed, Child. I recom mend you use teeth. Theirs, to be specific. One of the others, now also nude, crawled over to remove the offending garment, then began kissing her way up Carrie’s leg. The voice returned, and the last coherent part of Carrie’s clouded mind perceived that Master Saul was only talking (thinking?) to himself.

You never did learn, Gustav. And it seems Sparro chose never to teach you. You never were as fond of thinking as he. How long will you survive, without his guidance or mine? Long enough to realize, perhaps, that even an apprentice Mashiekeh is dangerous, even to you?

* * *

After two weeks of cross-country pursuit, Michelle had grown accustomed to hotel rooms, and as it happened, this one was somewhat superior to most she had stayed in. Yet as she looked around, the tastefully decorated walls and comfortable furnishings might as well have been cold steel and concrete. It was a ce ll... infuriatingly enough, a cell with an unlocked door that she couldn’t open. For that matter, she couldn’t even leave the bed.

Ever since Sparro had returned her to the room, she had laid spread-eagled on it, her clothes all folded and resting on the chair by the door. That had been two hours previous, two hours of staring naked at the ceiling and wondering what her future held. He had promised to free her... he had to free her. She couldn’t live like this for long, she thought. She would go mad.

When the door finally opened, Sparro walked in, looking preoccupied. Despite the circumstances, Michelle was a bit piqued by this; her busy life didn’t leave much time for relationships, but three weeks previous she’d have sworn that no man could have shared a room with her while she was naked without giving her his complete attention. Well, not that Sparro was a man, per se.

When he finally did turn his attention to her, his eyes mirrored the smile on his face. “Ah, M ichelle, I must apologize for the delay. Certain arrangements, my dear, and now I suppose that you would like to be rewarded. True?”

“Y-yes, master,” she said, on the verge of tears. “Please let me go, please let me forget...”

Sparro looked taken aback. “Forget? Do you really wish to? Have you not enjoyed yourself, these last two weeks?”

“Yes...” she moaned. He wasn’t going to do it. He wasn’t going to let her go. But he had to! “Yes, I have enjoyed myself...”

He interrupted her. “Not only the joys of the hunt, young one, but the joys of, ah, other things as well? Would you truly wish to forget Mara?”

Michelle sobbed as the memory of Mara wracked her brain. Lick me, lick her, feel her, feel inside of her, feel her tongue, tongue on nipple, tongue on clit, tongue on me, tongue in me, feel me, fuck me, fuck me, fuck me... The vampire overload was every bit as strong as the first morning after she’d begun the hunt. Her body was now covered with a sheen of sweat, and the feel of the juices between her legs only made her want to cry harder. That, and have Mara again. And again. And again. Fuckmefuckmefuckme......

Gasping for air, she locked her eyes onto Sparro’s. She had to beg... while she still could. “Please... please... not just for me... for my friends... they’ll find me...”

Sparro’s smile grew, but seemed to consider. “Ah, yes. Your comrades. They might not easily understand why their brave leader abandoned them. They might not understand her new bedfellows, either. Indeed, quite a problem.”

She leaped on the opportunity. “I-I have to forget. Or I won’t be able to hunt... not ever again. P-please, master? Please let me forget... like you promised.” You promised! she wanted to scream, but didn’t.

“I did promise, didn’t I?” He seemed to think about it, and hoped flared within her. “If memory serves, my exact promise was to do so if you so wished... but I wonder, do you really wish it? ” Suddenly he was standing over her again, his eyes filling all of her vision, his voice resounding in the depths of her being. “It seems to me that you should at least know the pleasure you would give up to make that choice, don’t you think? Stand.”

She did as she was told, immediately, her eyes fixed on his the whole time. He smiled, but licked his lips as he spoke. “Now, remember Mara, Michelle. Do not try to fight it. Imagine her kneeling by you know, exploring you as she did that night. Remember her. Feel her. Now.”

Michelle’s eyes nearly popped out of her head as that all-to-familiar sensation returned, a pleasure heightened to ridiculous levels by her highly attuned senses. She would be aware of any vampire within a hundred yards, aware of any move they made without need of seeing it. To add such awareness to sex... yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes... O, God, Yes!

“Of course, that is not all I have to offer, my dear.” Her eyes snapped open, though the sensation did not go away. He had removed his clothes, and strode towards her with a purpose sexy in and of itself. She had always found him highly attractive, though she had been, of course, distracted from it alternately by loathing and fear. Yet now he wrapped his arms around her, one hand exploring her chest, the other her crotch, and his lips lightly brushing her neck.

It was as if she was in two places at once, having sex in two rooms, with two very different but highly skilled lovers. She felt every swish of Mara’s tongue, felt the almost explosive ecstacy t hat came whenever the vampiress’ teeth would graze her skin, felt as those hands wrapped around her thighs and ass, and could almost feel the dull warmth of the candles, the low flickering light of Mara’s room, an entire continent away. At the same time should could feel every touch of Sparro’s, his warm breath on her neck, his highly skilled hands accentuating her arousal as simply as if he was tightening a wind-up toy. Release was almost there... she could feel it... she wanted it... O God, she wanted it... “Fuck me, Master!” Fuck me, Mara! “Master!” Mara! “Fuuuuuuuck...” Meeeeeeeeeeeeee...............

Hours later, Sparro sat back in one of the chairs as he watched her pant on the bed, her eyes blankly staring upwards. He had already showered, and he shook his head with a smile. It had been quite some time since he had partaken of physical sex himself... but it was somewhat gratifying to know that his old... proficiencies... had not decayed after years of disuse. She had screamed as she had cum, she had begged for more, and had finally made her choice.

“There still remains the problem of your friends, my pet. They will still be looking for you... trying to bring you back to your old life.”

A tear trickled from one eye. “I... I know, Master.” Her eyes still stared. “But... I still want to stay...”

“They will find you, in time,” he interrupted. “Even those such as I cannot hide from your kind forever, as you so masterfully demonstrated, and they certainly have ways of tracing you. They will try to take you away from me... from her... from this... however you explain it to them.”

She shivered at the thought of her, but did not respond. He tapped his lips in thought, and then grinned. “Ah... perhaps running isn’t the right way, however. Perhaps you should let them know exactly where you are.”

She sat up, suddenly. “B-but... they’ll try to hurt you... try to take me away...”

“And fail on both counts, I assure you. But what if you brought them here, alone, one at a time? To me? I could see to it that they would not want to leave... any more than you want to now.”

Her body shivered, and Sparro knew it wasn’t from the cold. She was considering. He smiled. “I leave it to you, of course, but consider. Consider all the pleasure. I can’t waste time runn ing with you, and I’m sure you do not wish to harm your friends. Why not bring them to me... so that they can join you? Perhaps you could even introduce them to Mara.”

It was carefully calculated... no commands, not even one. It was to her to decide. Sparro waited. She shuddered as she thought about it, and then seemed to smile beatifically. “C-consider... pleasure...” the pleasure that swelled in her seemed to fill the room. She stood, and picked up her phone, dialing quickly as she absently brushed her sweat soaked hair out of her face. “Hello... Rachael? Its Michelle... yeah, I’m sorry I’ve been out of touch... you won’t believe what’s happened... can you trace my signal, and come here quick? Just you... I’m not sure we can trust the others yet... not even Davin, not yet... please, Rachael...? Ok... see you soon...” She turned the phone off, and dropped it as she fell to her knees. “She will come, Master. Then, you will join her with me?”

“I would,” Sparro said, with a grin, “but it would be a bit late, I think. You were right, Davin. Quite impressive.”

Michelle looked up in shock to see an elderly looking man standing in the doorway. “Davin... but... how did you find me...” her eyes widened as she sensed him, truly sensed him, for the first time she could remember. “Y-you’re one of them...”

“Easy, child.” Sparro said soothingly. “Go to the bed and sleep. All will be fine, soon. I will return you... to the freedom you had before I found you.”

Ignoring her as she followed his commands, Sparro nodded to the other man. Though he had only been turned a few decades before, Davin had been nearly fifty at the time... fifty with an attraction for younger girls, as memory recalled.

“When you told me that she would even betray her friends if properly stimulated, I thought to doubt you, Davin. I thought for sure you had coerced her. It seems I owe you an apology.”

Davin grinned. “It was easy enough without doing so... a seventeen year-old libido can be quite easy to prod, given the right tools. She led me to her friends who joined her readily enough, and we all had a merry time until the Nosferatu started getting out of hand again. A bit of memory alteration, a bit of forgetting... realigning old sexual preferences so parents and teachers wouldn’t notice... sometimes I’ve wondered if she is truly worth the trouble.”

Sparro looked back at Michelle’s prostrate form on the bed. “She is,” he said with conviction. “If, however, you are tired of her and her friends...”

Davin shook his head emphatically. “Oh, never. Just something to complain about, I suppose.”

“ Again, I thank you for the loan. Her skills were truly useful. If you wish, I will realign her memories tonight.”

“You are more than welcome, old master. Your cunning use of vampiresses will give me ideas for decades to come, I’m sure. If you wish, you can dally with Rachael when she arrives. Another fine young specimen.”

Sparro lau ghed, but shook his head. “I appreciate the offer, but no. My newest apprentice, unfortunately, requires a bit more of my time. You were far easier to train, I fear.”

* * *

The conference room of the hotel had never been meant for such an event, but with the whole-hearted assurances of the management, the preparations were carried out as planned. Early the following the morning, tables were set up and the windows carefully shuttered, so that the arrival of the Mashiekeh and their domestics would not be noticed by the random passer-by. Carrie herself stood guard at the door, offering her regrets to any who sought to enter. Those within were to be left alone.

Saul smiled as they gathered. Many he had known before, and their stunned reactions upon seeing him as the entered almost made his time of enduring the likeness of death worthwhile. He was so used to being taken for granted at Reckonings... it was high time that he was a figure of awe again.

Gustav entered wearing a hideously expensive suit, flanked by two domestics, the one he had brought with him and another, presumably recently acquired. Saul clicked his tongue in annoyance. Domestic hunting was supposed to be off-limits during reckoning... this many Mashiekeh gathered in one place could easily deprive an area of all the fine young flesh it had to offer, something bound to attract notice. Gustav seemed to be making up for his earlier following of the rules. While respect existed all around, there was no doubt that some gathered were stronger than others... and were treated with due respect. Saul had always before assumed that he would be strongest but doubted that would be the case today, with his recovery not yet completed. Gustav was a bearer of power, no doubt, but a certain aloofness followed him as well, as the others wondered (sometimes out loud) what the bumbling oaf had done to require a Reckoning to be held.

Pretending that he noticed none of this (even the strongest of Mashiekeh wouldn’t dare defy the pact in the presence of all the others) Gustav walked to a foremost position within the room... suitable for one who was among the strongest, as well as the one who had called the Reckoning. He raised his arms and spoke.

“My dear brothers, I welcome you, and thank you for attending. My most... humble... apologies go to those who had business unduly disturbed by this meeting, but I fear that I was left no recourse outside of barbaric uses of power. It seems that our dear friend Sparro, who didn’t even have the decency to attend...”

“I would ask, old friend, that you leave my decency out of this, particularly when you begin the meeting five minutes early. I am here.”

Everyone in the room turned to watch Sparro enter, Cheri at his side. He nodded to each in turn, but froze when he saw Saul. Saul had to smile.

Has it been so long, Sparro, that you have no words of welcome for your old master? How amusing that your own apprentice proved almost as troublesome as you were, in your time.

“Saul,” Sparro finally said with a small nod. “How long have you been...”

My vitality grows by the day, old friend. Yet when Gustav’s summons were new, it was all that I could do to heed them. It has been long years of loneliness, feeding only when the opportunity came.

Again, Sparro inclined his head. “As I’d expected, then. What is it to be, old monster? Battle, or deliberation?”

I’m stung, apprentice, that you would suggest that I violate the rules that I once established. Let us deal with the matter at hand. Our... private... affairs can follow, if you wish.

“Yes!” Gustav, not used to being ignored, interjected. “Let us deal with the matter at hand... unfortunately, it seems that new apprentice of yours has failed to arrive, Sparro. Is he running, yet again? Did you warn him to run, taking my property with him to who knows where...”

Enough, Gustav. It is still early, as Sparro said before. And whether or not the girl is your property is the matter up for debate, is it not? You always were too hasty.

“There is no debate,” Gustav snarled. “As an employee of mine she clearly fell under my jurisdiction, and my jurisdiction alone, and I demand satisfaction for this...”

Demand is a tricky word in a place like this,” Sparro said crossly. “We are not humans, for you to command.”

“You dodge the point prettily, Sparro, but I will not be diverted. What words of defense do you have for this... project of yours?”

“Words of defense? None. Kyle ceased to be my apprentice when he disobeyed my commands and left my care. He is Mashiekeh full now, and can defend himself when he arrives...” Sparro closed his eyes moment. “Ahh... yes, here he comes now, as well as,” suddenly his eyes opened wide. “Ahhhh, clever boy...”

The door opened again, and Kyle walked in, nodding briefly to Sparro before standing in the middle of the assembled group, Marlena close behind him. Gustav spat.

“It’s about time you arrived, whelp,” he said with venom. Now return my property to me, or deal with the consequences! Or would you try to steal what is mine?”

Kyle cocked an eyebrow. “Though I am new to your numbers, I would never think of denying a fellow Mashiekeh of his property. I must apologize to the others for having to meet me under such circum stances, but I feel you have all been horribly misled. Gustav, I presume,” he nodded to the enraged Mashiekeh, “feels that I have stolen property that is his. I have not stolen anything from anyone. Marlena, here, is not my property.”

Gustav smiled evilly. “Then she is mine now. It has been said that I had never marked her. I do so now, before this entire assembled body! She is mine!” He looked around in triumph, only to finally notice the startled or inquisitive looks around him. “There can be no doubt of this! Any human can be taken, if claimed!”

No one denies that, Gustav... Saul thought slowly, not even noticing the way Kyle and Marlena started at his unspoken speech, But if you were quicker to see, and slower to pounce, you would see that no human stands before you to claim.

Sparro’s look was absolutely delighted. “Yes! Friends, enemies, brothers … let me be the first to welcome Marlena to the ranks of the Mashiekeh!”