The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Like a Siren’s Song (Part 1)

Summary: Becky makes a wish with interesting consequences.

Prologue

I just love the summer time. Everything is so much more relaxed, especially for me, as I teach for a living. In the past I’d sometimes used the time to take various workshops to keep myself busy, but I’d made a conscious decision this summer to do as little work-related activities as possible. I was going to enjoy some time with friends and just enjoy myself.

It was evening, but at 8:00pm it was still daylight, another reason I enjoy this time of year. I’d left my small, one-bedroom apartment to go out and take a walk. I had my mp3 player on and was just lost in the sound of the music. It was a beautiful, sunny evening in Texas. At 5′5″ I felt I was neither too tall or too short. My hair was short, brown, and easy to manage, my eyes matched my hair color. Tonight I was dressed very comfortably in a pair of denim shorts, a solid red tee shirt, and my comfy walking tennis shoes. My name is Rebecca but most people call me Becky.

As I walked I found myself singing along to the sounds of Michael Buble.

I’m not surprised, not everything lasts
I’ve broken my heart so many times, I stopped keeping track
I talk myself in, I talk myself out
I get all worked up, then I let myself down
I tried so very hard not to lose it
I came up with a million excuses
I thought, I thought of every possibility
And I know someday that it’ll all turn out
You’ll make me work, so we can work to work it out
And I promise you, kid, that I’ll give so much more than I get
I just haven’t met you yet

I just love this song. It’s not a forlorn, “I’m all alone” song like so many out there. Rather, it’s one full of hope about the right person coming along. He knows she’s out there.

As I walked, the sun went down and it became dark. I know some people think I’m crazy to walk by myself at nighttime but I have always been a night person. I do my best thinking after the sun goes down. I had already turned around to go home but I decided to walk by the small pond that was near my apartment complex. There is a lovely bench there, a great place to just sit and be with yourself (or someone else if you are with the right person). I sighed softly as I gazed on the lights that were reflecting in the water of the pond. One thing all this down time has done is given me a lot of time to think about where I’m going in my life. I love teaching, but I’m not a person who can let my job be my life. I’d not been in a relationship in while. I wasn’t particularly unhappy about this, but at age 28 I was starting to think about wanting a family. Unfortunately, just like Michael I “just hadn’t met him yet.”

As I stared at my surroundings without thought, something caught my eye. I looked up in the sky just in time to see a shooting star. I had to smile, the last time I’d seen an actual shooting star I’d been in college. I was outside walking with a guy I had a big crush on and he’d suddenly pointed up and said “make a wish, it’s a shooting star.” I had to admit it had been a very romantic moment. I’d wished that he and I would find some way to be together as a couple. After looking more closely we’d realized we were witnessing a meteor shower and stars were shooting all over the sky. It was one of those nights that I still carry with me.

Tonight though, there was just one star in the sky. I needed to think of a wish quickly before it disappeared from my sight. I closed my eyes for a brief second and wished for my true love to find me. I then opened my eyes back up and watched as the star vanished from the sky. For a moment the world had a magical feeling to it, but I shook my head and laughed at myself. How silly of me, wishing on a star like that, as though I were a child. My wish hadn’t come true back then, and it wasn’t going to come true tonight. As if on cue my mp3 player shuffled to “Somewhere Out There” and I began to sing it softly to myself:

Somewhere out there
Beneath the pale moon light
Someone’s thinking of me
And loving me tonight
Somewhere out there
Someone’s saying a prayer
That we’ll find one another
In that big somewhere out there
And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing
On the same bright star

I laughed quietly to myself as I got up to walk home. I sang the rest of the song as I walked, not really caring who might hear me. This is normal for me, I think I’d almost rather lose my eyesight then lose my ability to hear music and sing it. Even in the classroom, the kids know I’m likely to burst into song for any reason or none at all. It’s why I teach at the elementary level, any older and the kids would probably give me a hard time about it. Ok, maybe it’s not the reason but it’s a nice perk.

When I got home I looked at the time, wondering how it could already be 10pm. Even though it’s summer old habits die hard and I found myself getting sleepy. I slid out of my clothes and into my nightgown. I turned on the TV but didn’t find much of interest on there. Logged on to the computer to check my e-mail and then decided to call it a day. Quietly I crawled into my bed and fell asleep quickly.

Day 1

I woke up the next day feeling well rested. When I looked at the clock I knew why, it was almost 11am. I couldn’t believe I’d slept over twelve hours, but apparently I needed it. Yawning and stretching I reluctantly got out of bed, telling myself I couldn’t be a total slug that day. I putzed around the kitchen looking for something for breakfast, wondering if at this point maybe I should just think about lunch. Unable to make a decision, I headed for the shower instead.

Showering helped me wake up a bit. I put my robe on and pondered what to tackle around the house. I had nowhere to go today, but that wasn’t an excuse to lay around and do nothing. I looked at the dishes in the sink. I’d been so ready for my evening walk that I’d neglected to do them lat night. It was an easy enough place to start so I rinsed them off and put them in the dishwasher. I got online and checked out the top news stories, not much was going on today. I turned on the TV, The View was on so I kept it on, but wasn’t really paying attention. I really didn’t feel like doing anything.

As it was about noon, I decided to go have McDonald’s for lunch. This may not seem like much of a treat to anyone else, but to be able to go somewhere, anywhere, for lunch on a Friday afternoon was a big treat for me. As a teacher we don’t exactly get to leave the school when it’s lunch time, not enough time for that. I pulled on some shorts and a tee shirt, got in my car, turned on the radio and sang all the way there. I very much enjoyed my burger and fries while listening to various songs on my mp3 player. I was careful only to hum them quietly to myself so as not to bother those around me.

After eating I decided to go back home and force myself to do some of the other chores I was procrastinating about doing. As I walked up the steps to my apartment building, I thought I noticed a man on the sidewalk watching me, but it was probably my imagination. I went upstairs to the second floor and let myself into my home. It was only a couple of minutes later that I heard a knock on the door. I wasn’t expecting anyone so I couldn’t imagine who it would be.

I opened the door to see the man I’d notice outside standing in my doorway. He had kind of an odd look on his face and I must admit, he looked a little familiar though I couldn’t place him. He was probably around six feet tall, with brilliant blue eyes and black hair. He was very good looking, but he looked very uncomfortable as he stood there not saying anything to me.

“Yes, can I help you?” I asked. He started to speak but was stammering in a bit of an awkward way.

“I, uh, had to come see you Becky,” he said. He knew my name? I was starting to feel a little creeped out to be honest. I asked him why he needed to come and see me.

“I heard you singing,” he told me. I’m sure my look at that point was as blank as his was awkward.

“What do you mean you heard me singing?” He stared at me a bit uncertainly. He asked if he could come in as it was awkward standing in the hallway. I hesitated, I didn’t even know him, what if he was here to do something to me? Yet, I had a feeling he wasn’t so I somewhat reluctantly allowed him to come in.

I invited him to sit on the couch and offered him a glass of water, which he declined. I sat down next to him, and still he hesitated. I suggested that telling me his name was a good place to start. “Oh, of course, my name is uh…David.” His voice, there was something about him that I was sure I knew. Why not just ask right?

I asked him if I knew him. He smiled a little at that and said we did know each other. In fact, we’d gone to high school together. I processed this for a moment, mind going through classes and people I knew and then it clicked. We had had a few classes together during the course of our high school career, an English class and biology class together our sophomore year, and a chemistry class our junior year. We had not been close friends, hung out in different circles, but we had been lab partners in chemistry. I smiled internally a little, remembering I’d had a bit of a crush on him. I was so shy though, especially with boys, he’d never noticed I existed, really. OK, so I knew him, that in no way explained what he was doing HERE.

I told David I did remember him, and now that this little reunion was out of the way would he mind telling me what he was doing here?

“I told you, I heard you singing.” I was completely confused, having no idea what he was talking about. My expression must have told him that.

“Were you at McDonalds?” I just had lunch there, I guess maybe you saw me there. Why didn’t you just come over and say hello rather than following me home. His look told me he was getting frustrated.

“I wasn’t at McDonald’s, I was here waiting for you to get home.” He then proceeded to explain. He told me that last night he’d been at his home when he heard my voice singing, clear as day. David said he recognized my voice, even though he hadn’t heard it in ten years because in high school I was always walking around singing one song or another. After hearing it he knew he had to come and see me, so he found my information through an internet search and here he was.

I must admit, I was still completely confused so I asked him, “where exactly do you live?” When he told me he was in South Carolina I’m sure my mouth dropped to the floor. “You do realize I live in Texas don’t you?” He assured me he did, but he had heard me and he had to see me. Apparently he booked the first flight out this morning so he could get here as soon as possible.

“David, you could not have heard me singing in South Carolina.” Still looking as confused as I was now feeling he insisted he did. I pondered this and decided to ask exactly what song I was singing. When he answered “Somewhere Out There” from the Fievel movie I just looked at him, not knowing what to say. That was exactly what I’d been singing last night, but he could not have possibly heard me. Maybe this was some kind of joke, and guys with cameras were going to appear and tell me I was on some new television show.

Deciding to play along for the moment, I asked him exactly WHY he’d had to come see me. David told me he had no idea but he just knew he had to, that he couldn’t stop thinking about me. I was really starting to suspect some kind of trick was being played now, wasn’t our ten year high school reunion coming up? My head began to think of all sorts of reasonable explanations. Maybe one of my old friends remembered my small crush on David and thought this would be a funny joke to pull and then tell everyone about at the reunion. It seemed like the sort of thing my old pal Crystal might do. The joke was going to be on her as I had absolutely no intention of attending the reunion anyway, so they’d be laughing about someone who wasn’t even there.

I studied David for a moment, he certainly “seemed” genuine, but maybe he was that good of an actor. I hadn’t known him really well in school, though he’d always been nice and really cute. The last ten years had only improved his appearance, as he was quite good looking.

I decided to just go along with it for now, what else could I really do? If this was a joke I doubted I could get him to fess up. Instead I decided to act like all of this was normal and make conversation with him. I asked him what he’d been doing since we left high school, besides move to South Carolina (we’d gone to high school here in Texas). He told me he’d gone to the University of Texas, when he mentioned it I seemed to recall hearing something about that. He’d gotten a business degree and received a great job offer in South Carolina immediately after graduating. Having no real love of Texas, he’d taken the offer. He’d been working for the same company ever since, doing really well and had received a couple of promotions along the way.

He come back to Texas to see his parents sometimes, as they still lived here and he’d pondered coming for the 10 year reunion. At that statement I looked at him suspiciously but he seemed completely oblivious. In fact making the small talk seemed to relax him and he was more at ease than he’d been since he’d arrived. He had been in a couple of serious relationships but none had made it to marriage. David then asked me about my life.

I told him I’d attended The University of North Texas, getting my degree in education. I’d spent a couple of years teaching at an elementary school near my parents’ home, so I could live with them and save money. Two years ago, I’d decided it was time to leave the nest, and I’d gotten a job near Dallas and left the Houston area. I was happy to be on my own and like him, was still unmarried. I mentioned that I was lucky enough to have my friend Crystal from high school living nearby. I watched for a reaction on his part, but he just said he vaguely remembered Crystal. OK, whatever was going on, she probably wasn’t involved.

I have to admit I lost track of the time and only my rumbling stomach reminded me that it had been a while since I’d eaten. I could see he’d heard it too. He asked me if I was hungry, and I had to admit I was. Looking at the clock, I was stunned to realize it was after 5 o’clock. Had we really sat there talking for that long? I’d been enjoying myself despite the weirdness of his visit. He suggested we go to dinner, his treat. Well, why not, we may as well continue our conversation, right?

We decided to head out immediately, since it was Friday night and places would get busy. We got in my car and he told me to decide where to go, because he didn’t care as he wasn’t really hungry. I asked when he’d last eaten, and he gave me an odd look before admitting he’d not eaten since last night, had been too focused on thinking about me and getting here to see me. This all was strange to me, but his voice said he was as perplexed as I was.

We talked the whole way to the restaurant. I guess when you haven’t seen someone in ten years, you have a lot to catch up on. We talked about people we used to know, who we were still in touch with, things like that. The conversation continued through dinner and until the check came. I thanked him for dinner and asked him where he was staying so I could take him there. Now he looked uncomfortable again.

“The truth is I, uh, am not in a place yet, I came straight to your place from the airport.” I processed this for a minute.

“You had no suitcase with you when you arrived on my doorstep,” I pointed out.

Again he stammered, “I, um, didn’t really think about things like, uh, packing. I could only think about you and getting here to see you.” He really didn’t seem to be joking, and if he was, this was carrying a joke awfully far. I asked him how long he planned on staying and he said he didn’t know, he had bought a one way ticket, maybe ‘til Sunday, he supposed. Inside my head, I thought about all of this. One way ticket? Nothing packed? Showing up on my doorstep, someone he hadn’t seen in ten years, and hadn’t been all that close to when he did know me? I was very confused.

I said I was very sure he would still have no problem getting a hotel, it’s not like there was a convention in town or anything. He nodded his agreement, but he didn’t seem happy about it. I suggested perhaps running to a store first, and getting a few basic essentials for his weekend stay. David readily agreed to that, so off we went to the local Wal-Mart.

It didn’t take too long for him to find a few essential toiletries and some shorts, shirts and something to sleep in. We loaded the stuff up into my car and he stopped me from putting my keys into the ignition by taking my hand. This startled me so much I almost jumped out of my skin.

“Becky, I know it’s a lot to ask, but can I please stay with you? I promise I will behave myself, it’s just that I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you since last night and I really want to know why. I think I’m more likely to figure that out if I am with you.”

I pondered his request while awkwardly removing my hand from his. I felt very strange about having this person I barely knew staying with me. I had a one bedroom so he’d have to sleep on the couch, which at least did pull out into a bed. He certainly seemed in earnest about his request, I’d almost completely given up the notion that this was a set up. If it was? Well, I’d get some nice company for a couple of days, right? I agreed, as long as he was ok sleeping in the living room. He readily agreed, and looked so relieved I almost felt sorry for him.

Conversation came to a halt as we drove home. Unable to stand the silence I turned on the radio. I came on in the middle of The Kinks singing their song “Come Dancing.” I joined in as they sang:

Another Saturday, another date.
She would be ready but she’s always make them wait.
In the hallway, in anticipation,
He didn’t know the night would end up in frustration.
He’d end up blowing all his wages for the week
All for a cuddle and a peck on the cheek.
Come dancing,
That’s how they did it when I was just a kid,
And when they said come dancing,
My sister always did.

David interrupted me while I was singing. “Do you want to go dancing?” I couldn’t look at him because I was driving so I settled for telling him it was just a song. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see he looked a little perplexed. He told me he really thought we should go dancing. I protested that it had been a long day and he had been up since very early, and we should really just go back to my place. Again he persisted, saying we really should go, that he really thought I wanted to. I put my foot down, in the figurative sense, and told him we were not going and that was that. “Tomorrow night then, cause then it will be Saturday.” I groaned internally, wondering seriously what his deal was. What did Saturday have to do with it anyway? I turned off the radio and we drove home in silence.

We got back to my place and he took his things out of the car. He asked if I minded if he took a shower which of course I didn’t. I sat down in front of the TV, not really paying attention. I had really enjoyed David’s company today, but I did not understand his reason for being here. It was not possible that he’d heard me singing of course. However, he seemed convinced that he had, and confused himself about why he was here, yet determined to stay. It should be an interesting weekend at any rate.

He came out of the shower wearing a pair of the shorts and one of the tee shirts he’d bought. I told him that I frequently liked to go out for walks in the evening and he said he wanted to come with me. I wasn’t really thrilled about this, my walks are my time for solitude, but as he was my guest I also couldn’t really say no. I gazed longingly at my mp3 player for a moment, I’d miss my music tonight. Oh well, maybe it would do me good to have some conversation with someone.

As we walked the awkwardness faded and we chit chatted. I told him I had done this very same route last night, when we got to the bench by the pond I told him this is where I was sitting when I sang that song he said he heard. I looked at him unblinkingly when I asked him if he truly believed he’d heard me singing. He told me he was as perplexed about it as I was but he definitely heard me and couldn’t get it out of his head. So he was hanging on to his story. I sighed a little and we walked on for a while. We came back and I let him use my computer to check on his work e-mail and see what he’d missed for the day. Then I got on and checked my e-mail briefly and said I was going to get ready for bed, he said he’d do the same.

I went into my bedroom and turned on my CD player for a little music while I got out of my clothes and changed into pajamas. I chose pajamas that were long and covered everything. I took some time brushing my hair and singing along to a little Billy Joel:

All night long, all night long
You’re only standing there ‘cause somebody once did somebody wrong
All night long, all night long
But you’ll be sleeping with the television on
You’re eyes are saying talk to me, talk to me
But your attitude is “don’t waste my time”
Your eyes are saying talk to me, talk to me
But you won’t hear a word ‘cause it just might be the same old line
This isn’t really easy for me to say Diane
I know you don’t need anybody’s protection
I really wish I was less of a thinking man
And more a fool who’s not afraid of rejection

I poked my head out to say goodnight to David and make sure he had everything. We’d made up the sleeper sofa and he was on it watching TV. He told me he was fine, but he had an odd look on his face, like he wanted to say something and was struggling not to. He thanked me for letting him stay and I closed my door and went to bed.