The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Tome Reader 2013: Laura Crofton and The Amulet of Kousen

Summary: Laura Crofton on her second mind-blowing adventure.

CHAPTER 1 : Character Development

Laura hastily made her way down the mountain ridge carrying her friend Samara on her shoulder. She could hear angry natives in the distance closing in. They would be looking for blood after what Laura had done. She interrupted their ritual, killed their leader and escaped with their sacrificial offering; namely Samara. The confusion may have given her a head start, but they were hot on her trail.

Laura rounded a corner and gasped at the large chasm before her. The wooden bridge that once provided passage to the other side was gone. All that remained were the posts.

Laura dropped to her knees. Exhausted, she set her unconscious friend on the ground. She took a moment to catch her breath. “Think Laura,” she said to herself, rising to her feet. She looked up at the sky as if praying for help and then noticed several large trees on the opposing ridge. They would have to do. She quickly began to thread rope into one of her arrows. She had used arrows to create grapple lines before, but she had never grappled with two people. Hopefully the rope and arrow would hold.

Laura shot an arrow across the chasm squarely into an opposing tree. She then took her end of the rope and threaded it through her bow before tying it off at the post. Laura sat on the ground and rested her feet within the bow, turning her body into an aerial cart. She rolled Samara on top of herself and began to pull their bodies across the chasm with her hands.

Getting to the middle was no problem, but the incline made the second half much more difficult. She was about six feet from the cliff edge when she felt a sudden jolt from the rope. She looked down and saw two excited natives hacking away at the line. Laura braced herself. A moment later, the rope gave way.

Laura abandoned the bow, wrapping her legs tightly around Samara. Within seconds, the rocky edge of the cliff slammed into Laura’s back. Her upper body had managed to clear the ledge, but her lower body still hung off with Samara in tow. She didn’t have enough purchase to let go of the rope and her arms were too tired to lift their combined weight.

“Wake up Sam! Oh god, please wake up!” Laura shouted, tears beginning to run down her face.

An arrow landed on the ground about three feet away. It all seemed hopeless. Laura knew she could never let her best friend go. She closed her eyes and accepted that they would die together. Then she felt something move.

“Sam!” Laura shouted looking down.

“Yes Laura,” Samara said with an airy tone as though she was only half awake. She sounded disoriented, but at least she was responding.

“Sam, reach up and grab the rope.” Laura instructed.

Laura looked down and saw Samara’s arm reach up and take hold of the rope. Laura continued, “Good, now wrap it around your wrist a few times and hold on to it. Prepare to support your own weight.”

Samara complied.

Another arrow landed nearby, only this one was on fire. The flames began to spread quickly.

Laura was out of time. She released Samara and pulled herself up over the cliff edge. Smoke filled the air, making it hard to breath. Laura grabbed the rope and pulled Samara up to safety. Laura waited for Samara to stand up, but she simply went limp again.

“No time,” Laura thought out loud. She bent down, hoisted Samara back onto her shoulder and continued down the trail.

Thirty minutes later Laura caught sight of the boat that her tiny crew had been trying to salvage. She noticed Joe and Renee making their way up from the bottom of the hill.

“You made it!” Joe said approaching

“Just barely,” Laura replied, handing Samara to Joe. “How about you two. Is the boat working? Can we take off?”

“It is as ready as it will ever be. Is Sam Okay?” Renee asked.

“Yeah, I think she will be okay,” Laura replied.

“What happened up there?” Joe asked with some hesitation.

Laura simply shook her head. “It’s over... ”

“Fine, let’s get the hell out of here,” Renee said.

* * *

Laura watched as the island slowly disappearing into the horizon. It was quickly swallowed up by the sunset.

Renee began announcing the first of what would likely be many distress calls. “Mayday, Mayday, this is Jasmine Renee of the Hindrance requesting emergency pickup. I repeat this is Jasmine Renee of the Hindrance requesting emergency pickup.”

Joe took the opportunity to carry Samara below deck to the crew quarters, leaving Laura and Renee alone.

Renee put the radio receiver down, “Well, I will have some stories to tell my grandkids now. Too bad no one will believe me. The things we saw on that island were nothing short of supernatural.”

Renee waited for Laura to pipe in but Laura said nothing. “So Laura, what’s next for you?”

Laura took a minute to gather her thoughts. “I don’t know. But it seems my father was right.” Laura spoke slowly as though the words were hard to say. “When he was alive, I doubted him like all the others. Now all I can think about is how badly I want to see him...to tell him I’m sorry.”

Renee tried to comfort her, “I am sure your father would be proud of what you’ve done”

“Thanks,” Laura replied.

“Hey, it is getting dark. Why don’t you head down and get some well deserved rest. Send Joe up and we will take the first shift,” Renee suggested.

“If you insist,” Laura replied.

Laura entered the crew cabin and saw Samara sprawled out on a bunk bed. Samara was still wearing the ceremonial dress from the ritual. It was singed and had bloodstains, though it wasn’t clear whose blood.

Laura loosened the collar near one of the stains to see if Samara was injured. There was no wound, but Laura was surprised to find something else. There was a rather intricate gold necklace beneath the collar, adorned in inscriptions. It looped through a simple yet beautiful ruby that seemed to glow. Laura knew Samara didn’t own anything like that.

“Hmm, I wonder if this was part of the ritual?” Laura said to herself.

Laura pulled the necklace off and examined it more closely. She did not recognize the language of the inscriptions. As she turned her attention to the ruby, Samara suddenly sat up with a jolt.

“Where... where am I?” Samara said, a hand coming up to hold her head like she was waking up from a hangover.

“Its me Laura. You’re safe,” Laura said, placing a hand on Samara’s shoulder. “We found a boat that Joe and Renee managed to get working. We are probably about an hour away from that wretched island now. How are you doing? You were acting a bit odd earlier. Did they drug you?” Laura asked with some concern.

Samara took a deep breath, pulled her hand away from her head and then looked down patting the base of her neck. “Thank god you took it off. I thought I would never find my way back,” Samara said.

“You mean the amulet?” Laura asked.

“Yes. Where is it?” Samara asked.

“It is right here,” Laura said holding it up. “But you lost me. What do you mean never find your way back?”

Samara gathered herself. “Sit down. I have a lot to tell you.”

* * *

Samara began, “The leader of that cult made me put the necklace on about an hour before the ceremony. He spoke some sort of incantation and the next thing I knew I was floating above my body. There was a tiny silver string that connected me to the ruby. I was constantly pulled up into the air, but the string would only let me go so far.”

“An out of body experience?” Laura asked.

“Sort of. I could feel everything and hear the words from the room as if I was still in my body. The only thing that was different was my perspective. I no longer saw with my own eyes. Someone told me to stand and I watched from above as my body obeyed. I could resist, but it was like breathing. The longer I resisted, the harder it became until I had to give in and...” Samara stopped a moment to prevent tears from forming, “... and allow my body to follow whatever orders it had been given.”

“Did they... you know?” Laura asked cautiously.

“They made me strip to put on the ceremonial robes, but no one touched me.”

Samara paused once more and regained her composure, “I did however notice my elevation rising. The string stretches as time goes on. I kept rising farther up into the air. The farther I got, the less I could feel my body. It was sort of like when you get really cold. At first you stop feeling temperature. But over time you lose the ability to feel pressure as well. It coincided with my loss of control.”

“Go on,” Laura said.

“By the time the ceremony began, I was completely numb. I couldn’t hear or feel anything. I watched my body obey like some puppet and I could no longer resist. It was horrible.”

“Maybe we should just throw the damn thing into the ocean then. Be rid of it”, Laura said.

“Well, there’s more.” Samara continued, “I was floating maybe four stories up when you arrived at the ceremony. I saw you take out the guards and mount your attack. And then ... it showed up. This bright red light came down from the sky and settled on my silver string. It was the first thing I had felt in almost 30 minutes and it was pure pain. I could tell it was trying to sever the line. Then these tiny white lights appeared and began buzzing around it, keeping it occupied. There was a giant explosion below on the ground and the red light vanished.”

“That must have been when I interrupted the ritual,” Laura said.

“Probably. But you didn’t know about the necklace. As you carried me down the mountain I was pulled farther and farther away. Your escape across the chasm was the last thing I could make out. I saw my body holding on to the rope, yet I wasn’t even there.”

Laura spoke up, “I remember, you were acting weird. I thought you were drugged.”

“I floated up into the clouds until I couldn’t see either of us anymore. That is when the white lights returned. But they were bigger and started to take shape. I soon realized they were... spirits, friends that we had lost on the island. I saw Grimmas, Ross, Alec and... And a man I didn’t recognize.”

Laura suddenly felt chills come down her spine.

Samara continued, “The man explained everything. The red light was Fimeko, a powerful sorceress from a different age who sought to be resurrected. The necklace is known as the Amulet of Kousen. It is a conduit to the spirit world. Fimeko used it to visit and talk to spirits. It was through the necklace that she bargained for her powers. Whatever you did, took her power away. But my conversation was interrupted. I suddenly found myself opening my eyes and I was here. It all feels like a dream now, but I know it was real”

The two girls sat in silence while Laura digested the story and its implications. “The man you saw. Did he identify himself?” Laura asked.

“No. But I think... I think he was your father,” Samara said.

Laura stared at Samara in shock. “My father?” she repeated. Laura paused and stared at the necklace in her hand. “My father...” she repeated again.

“Laura, I know what you are thinking, but the necklace is dangerous. The silver string... it stretches. The longer you wear the necklace, the farther up you go and the weaker the string becomes. If one wears the necklace for too long, the string will break.”

“But you would be here. I know I could count on you to take it off before anything bad happened”, Laura said her voice wavering on tears.

Samara was concerned, but she could also see the emotion in Laura’s eyes. “Alright Laura. I owe you that much. If this is what you want, I will help you. But I don’t know the incantation. I don’t know how to activate it. Is it written on the necklace somewhere?”

Laura looked at the necklace in her hand and let out a deep sigh. “Probably, but I don’t recognize these inscriptions.” She brought a hand up and played with the ruby, as though it might reveal some secret, but it was just a ruby.

“I’m sorry Laura,” Samara said.

Laura didn’t respond but just played with the necklace for several minutes. She finally spoke, “We’ll figure it out when we reach the mainland. I know we will.”

“We should get some sleep,” Samara suggested.

“Agreed,” Laura replied.

* * *

Laura opened her eyes. Her hand instinctively reached for the gun that had been tied to her waste for the last week. Feeling nothing, she briefly panicked until she remembered leaving both guns with Renee. This was quite a change for her. She used to be uncomfortable around guns but now she felt naked without one. She began to wonder if she could ever be normal again after all she had done. How many had she killed to survive?

And that is when she noticed the sound of waves splashing against the hull of the boat. It was relaxing, but why hadn’t she noticed it before? The engine was no longer purring, drowning out the sounds of the world. The revelation startled her and she suddenly sat up.

Samara’s ceremonial dress rested on the bunk where Samara had been sleeping, but she was gone. The boat was eerily quiet. It felt empty. Laura looked to the foot of her bunk; the amulet was gone as well. Something didn’t feel right.

Laura cautiously made her way to the bulkhead door and cracked it open. She froze. There was an armed man she didn’t recognize standing in the doorway, his back towards her. What was going on? Her survival instincts once again took over. She slipped through the door, and kicked the man’s legs out from behind. As he fell to his knees, Laura brought an arm around his neck placing him in a chokehold.

“No Laura!” Samara’s voice cried out.

Laura looked up and saw Samara standing at the end of the narrow hall in a fresh pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt. “Don’t hurt him!”

Laura released her grip on the man’s neck, who fell forward coughing. Samara ran forward and put a hand on his back, “I’m so sorry! Are you okay?”

“What is going on Sam?” Laura demanded.

Samara looked up, “This is Jack, captain of The Morgane. His ship answered our distress call.”

Laura felt a sinking feeling. “I’m...” was all she could manage to get out.

Jack stood up and turned, “No worries. I understand from Samara that you two have been through quite a bit. I should have stayed away until someone more familiar had a chance to wake you up.”

Before Laura could apologize, Samara grabbed her arm, “Come see his ship Laura. It is absolutely huge!”

Emerging onto the deck, Laura turned and saw a wall of steal rising six stories into the air and about three city blocks in both directions. They were moored to a cargo boat. A metal ladder descended down where the two vessels met.

Renee walked up to Laura, “About time you woke up,” she said with a smile. “Here, I imagine you will be wanting these back.” Renee handed Laura two pistols.

“Where is Joe?” Laura asked as she tied the guns around her waste.

“He is already aboard,” Renee replied. “Most of our stuff was on the deck so he decided to move it into the rooms. All that is left are the rations and well ... you. Samara here wanted to let you sleep since you had been through so much.”

“Thanks,” Laura said. “And where is ... my necklace?” She directed the words towards Samara with some emphasis on the last two words.

“With all the excitement, I didn’t want to risk someone misplacing it, so... I hope you don’t mind if I borrowed it?” Samara replied. She pulled the edge of her shirt collar down slightly, showing a hint of gold beneath.

Renee rolled her eyes, “Rescued for an hour and you two are already swapping clothes again. Really?”

“Your just jealous I thought to take it first, " Samara said with a grin.

Laura turned towards Jack and held out a hand, “I’m sorry about what happened below. Thanks Mr.?”

“Marenoff, Jack Marenoff, but you can just call me Jack,” he offered.

“Thank you Jack.” Laura said smiling. “I will see to it that you are well paid for your trouble when we reach the shore,” she offered.

“Oh, don’t worry about it Miss.” He replied.

Renee interjected, “In that case, Laura feel free to give me whatever he doesn’t want.”

Laura chuckled at the remark.

“Lets head up, I need a shower and some fresh clothes,” Laura suggested.

Climbing the ladder, Laura took note of some of the crewmembers watching from above. One thing that struck her was how heavily armed most of these men were. It seemed all of them had a pistol and some even had semi-automatic weapons.

Laura shook her head. If she had been armed, she probably would have killed Jack before Samara had stopped her. Laura needed to accept the fact that they were safe and stop being so paranoid. Hopefully a shower and some time with her books would help her settle back into normal life.

Jack waited until the three girls were out of sight and then turned to one of his men, “So tell me Henry, what are the odds of running across a heavily armed WWII PT boat filled with various survivors, the majority of which are hot women?”

“I don’t know, but I am buying me a lottery ticket tonight,” Henry replied. They both laughed.

Down below in the PT Boats gallery, a cabinet door slowly opened beneath the sink. An uninvited pair of yellow eyes peered out from the darkness.