The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Goddess Blessed

by J. Darksong & Gbrn32e

Ch. 8)

There was just something in the air tonight. A strange kind of feeling... that something special was happening.

I sat atop the small landing of the two-story building, staring down at the street below. My newest partner and I had followed the sounds of chaos to its source, an alarm going off at the central plaza KeyBank building. I glanced at Pinnacle sidelong as she continued to drum her fingers restlessly along the edge of the roof, her impatience obvious. “Take it easy, Rookie,” I murmured, peering down at the shattered and broken doorway through my binoculars, trying to catch sight of the burglars. “Remember Parker’s rule number eight when on patrol.”

“Yeah, yeah, ‘Hurry up and wait’. I remember the drills. But I don’t think it was supposed to mean waiting around aimlessly while the bad guys rob the city blind! We should be down there!” Her frown deepened. “And I’m not a rookie, you know. I’ve been doing this for close to a year now.”

“Oh? Which part?” I asked archly, “the heroine part, or the brainwashed minion part?” I sighed inwardly, as Pinnacle stiffened and turned away. I hadn’t meant to snap at her with such a snarky comment. Truth be told, I liked her. And I understood her frustrations. Unlike my other partner/trainers, I had the most in common with her. I was basically a reformed villain as well, and even if she hadn’t planned on walking down that dark path, she’d spent several months earning a rather notorious reputation as a villainess to be feared.

I can totally emphasize with her, too. All she wants is to help people, yet a large part of the hero community is judging here by her past deeds. Huh... I guess my prodding her on such a sensitive subject isn’t helping matters, either... Swallowing my pride for once, I apologized to her, saying that I was stressed out too. “I’m still kind of new to all of this too,” I added with a shrug. “Like you, I was a villain for longer than I was a good guy. And, like you, I’m trying to make a fresh start.” She nodded, a small smile creasing her lips then.

Before the conversation could continue, however, the two crooks emerged from the bank, two large sacks of money slung over their shoulders. Frowning, I focused the binoculars lenses, clearing the vision, then cursed inwardly, instantly recognizing the twin terrors. Shit... Minnie and Maxie Munn. Not a good scene. I think we should let this one go and call in someone a bit more ‘durable’ in case they decide to get aggressive—

“All right! Finally! Time for some action!” Pinnacle called out from beside me, leaping over the edge of the building.

“Wha... wait! NO! Pinny!” I hissed, slapping my forehead as the youngster charged straight towards the lion’s mouth. Damned idiot! Do you even know who you’re up against!?! Did you study the files Parker told you to memorize? No... of course not... because you’re in too much of a damned hurry! I grumbled silently, rushing down the side of the building after her.

I had, of course, read HER file, the details about what had happened to her. An invasion of privacy? Maybe. But I liked to know about the person I was teaming up with, all things considered. Besides, she could have easily looked up and read through my file, if she’d been interested enough to do so. At this point, it was pretty much common knowledge, anyway. Pinnacle reminded me a lot of myself in my angrier youth. As I drew near, catching her reading Maxie Munn the riot act, I wondered idly if she’d live long enough to learn from her mistakes.

“...better drop the cash right now, while you still have a chance of walking away from this,” Pinnacle stated, hands in her hips in defiance. “This is your last warning.”

“And, as I just said,” Minerva Munn stated, scowling, “this is your last chance to get the hell out of our way! My sister and I have been having one hell of a day, and right about now, stomping a mudhole into your ass would be just the perfect way to end it!”

“Well, we certainly wouldn’t want that, now would we, Minnie?” I said casually, walking up alongside my partner. “So, you two have gone back to petty theft again I see,” shaking my head dramatically. “That’s actually kind of sad. Any chance that this is just a mistake... an error in judgment? I’d heard you two had reformed after the Incident... that you two had decided to turn over a new leaf.”

“Huh. Yeah, we wish,” Maxine replied with a frown. “We did actually give it the ol’ college try, yanno? But being a goody-two-shoes doesn’t exactly pay the bills. I have a mortgage and student loans to pay off, and my nine-to-five just doesn’t cut it.”

I nodded in understanding. “Yeah, It’s rough all over. It’s this economy. Still... surely there are other options besides robbing a bank?” I let out a soft sigh, causing my chest to bounce slightly. I had their attention. I just needed to keep talking long enough to—

SMACK!

“Uhhnnngh!” Minerva grunted, stumbling back, clutching her bleeding nose from the punch Pinnacle had just given her.

“Enough talking!” the nitwit stated, assuming a fighting stance. “Throw down the money, throw UP your hands, and surrender before I... I, um... get... rough...” she said, faltering at the end as the woman in front of her, Maxine, began to expand, growing taller and wider at an exponential rate until she towered above us at around twenty-five feet tall. “Oh... wow,” Pinnacle said, taking a step back towards me. “This... might be tougher than I thought...”

“GEE! YA THINK?!?” I yelled, grabbing her, rolling out of the way as a massive hand the side of a small car swung at us. “What the HELL were you thinking? Charging in blindly without a plan? THIS is what Parker and the others are talking about when they say that!”

“Okay! Got it! Message received,” she replied back, as we ducked and hid behind a nearby dumpster for cover. “So what the hell do we do now?”

“Oh? NOW you’re asking me? You’re the one with super strength and super agility, right? Try and take down Maxie. If you can knock her off her feet somehow, you’ll stand a better chance of knocking her out.” I sighed heavily. “While you’re playing with her, I’ll try and keep Minnie busy.”

“I get the gigantic one and you take the one that shrinks?” she said, incredulously. “How is THAT fair?!?”

Just then, the dumpster creaked, then rose slightly into the air. We both moved aside just before it went sailing, tossed aside, revealing the aforementioned Minerva Munn, shrunken down to about eight inches tall. Pinnacle stood gaping. “That’s why,” I replied, pulling her back, sprinting further down the alleyway, putting some distance between us and them. “Just because she’s smaller doesn’t make her any easier to beat—hell, being smaller, making her less of a target, makes her even HARDER to fight! She’s even stronger and tougher as at that size than she is at her normal height!” I smirked. “Besides, you’re the one that charged in, guns blazing. It’s too late to call dibs now.”

Growling, the girl nodded grimly and headed back out into the street to face her opponent. My heart went out to her. It really did. This was a tough lesson for her to learn. She’d done really well for herself at the beginning of her career, flying by the seat of her pants and making it up as she went along. But most of her success had been more good luck than anything else. Back then, she’d been mostly unknown, and her opponents had underestimated her, giving her an advantage. Now, though, she was going to have to learn to think and plan before she acted, otherwise she was never going to survive.

Still, better to learn that lesson now when she has a partner to help out, I thought, assuming a fighting stance of my own as Minimum came charging at me, assuming I manage to get past shorty here, that is. Ugh... this is going to be rough...

* * *

Hmmm... this might be a little rough...

Chloe and Rosella glanced at each other, considering their options. A small group of armed men were robbing the federal gold repository just down the street, loading the precious heavy metal into the back of a large truck. While the thugs doing the thieving were common crooks with no powers, they were many, well organized and disciplined, bespeaking a higher power at work guiding them.

“Hmm... what do you think? Stealth and surprise?” Discharge asked her partner.

“I dunno... It puts you all alone in the middle of a pretty bad situation,” Ghost Girl remarked. Chloe merely smirked.

“Well, it is nice to be back in the spotlight again for a change,” she quipped, “but don’t worry, I should be okay. This snazzy new costume is more than just for show after all. I can take a few hits... at least long enough for you to take out the rest of them before they even realize you’re there.”

“Well, that’s the idea,” Rosella replied, “that, and to hopefully draw out their boss. It’s just, we don’t know what we’re up against here, and you’ll be up front and visible with a bullseye on your chest.”

“So, what else is new?” Chloe asked. “Back in the ‘old days’ we didn’t have as much as we do now, and we still managed to get by. Plus, Echo and Shinobi are out and about a few blocks over, so backup is only a quick radio call away.” She cracked her knuckles. “I say we go for it.”

“Okay then, let’s do it,” Ghost Girl replied, pulling the hood of her cloak over her head. “Give me two minutes to get into position, then start the show.” With that, she tapped into her powers, fading from sight. Discharge chuckled at that—girl loves to make a flashy exit—and after giving her partner enough time, she made her way over to the group of thieves.

“Good evening, boys,” she said grinning as she stepped into view, causing the group of masked men to turn. “Sorry to interrupt you, but I was wondering if you could direct me to the police station on West Elm? I’m running late for the Policeman’s Ball, and I figured who would know better where the police station is that a bunch of hoodlums?” Unamused by her joke, the would-be thieves raised their guns. “Awww. Did I upset you?” she said, raising her hands. “And here I thought you’d all enjoy my company. You know, because of my—” she stated as arcs of electricity began to dance along her fingertips, “sparkling personality?”

Several of the hoods jerked back in surprise, then ducked for cover as Discharge lay down a barrage of electrical blasts. She giggled slightly at the way they dove out of the way. “If nothing else, you have to give me credit for putting on an ‘electrifying’ performance,” she joked. Several other gunmen emerged from inside the depository, guns raised, but before she could react, they each let out a groan and slumped to the ground, unconscious.

“Ughhh... can you knock off the puns?” Ghost Girl moaned, reappearing behind the downed thugs. “Seriously, I think Echo’s warped sense of humor has started rubbing off on you.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” the criminals’ boss replied archly, causing Chloe and Rose to glance over at the side of the building. A short haired redhead stepped forward, clad in a light aqua colored leotard with seemingly random darker colored swirls all over the sides. “Seriously, I like a good turn of phrase as well as the next person, but there is such a thing as excessive, you know?”

“Wait... I know that costume,” Rosella said, frowning. “Fluidia? What are you doing here? I thought you’d retired from the hero gig.”

“That’s still undecided,” she replied with a smirk, hand on her hips. “But that’s okay. I’m not actually here... as a hero.” Ghost Girl and Discharge both let out a loud gasp of shock as their costumes morphed, flowing like liquid around them, reshaping into something closer to a straight jacket, binding them in place, hand and foot. With an effort, however, Ghost Girl shifted, phasing through her costume, stepping out completely naked but free. “Heh. Not bad. And... mmm... ‘not bad’,” she added, glancing meaningfully at Rose’s naked form. “Unfortunately, I don’t have time to play with you. Mistress wants you and your partner both wrapped up tightly like a present with a bow,” she said, gesturing with a hand, “and I intend to deliver!”

“What th... HEY! Aaaahhh!” Ghost Girl yelped, as the ground around her surged up, flowing over her, forming a large ball of grass, mud, dirt, and debris, that swirled and churned like hot molasses. She again tried to phase through, only to gasp again in surprise, as she hit some kind of barrier, pushing her back. “What is this?!? Why can’t I phase through?” she yelled.

“Because of this,” Fluidia gloated in triumph, holding up a small silver bracelet clad around her right wrist. “My Mistress does her homework. She paid a visit to an old enemy of yours back in Crescent City, and it seems that after your last encounter the Gadgeteer came up with a little something in case you two ever crossed paths again! Intermingled in that mess of earth are several of the Gadgeteer’s miniature multiphasic shield projectors. As long as this control bracelet is active, you won’t be phasing anywhere.”

“Good! That’s all I needed to know,” Discharge said, stopping her struggles. With a thought, she dissolved her tangled mass of Neuroweave clothes, leaving her naked but unbound. “I just need to short out that control ring and this little encounter will be over!” She pointed a hand towards Fluidia, summoning a small bolt of electricity, but rather than strike the bracelet, the electricity arced away, zipping up towards the white-haired woman emerging from inside the depository. Chloe blinked in surprise as Voltaire greeted her with a smirk. “Wh... how di... Voltaire?” she asked, taking a step back. “What are YOU doing here? And how did I not sense your electrostatic signature until just now?”

“With this,” she replied, holding up a silver bracelet of her own on her right arm. “Another little present from the Gadgeteer. My partner just mentioned that our Mistress paid her a visit recently. But she gave her more than just a way to hide my presence from your finely tuned senses. She also told her all about you... about your strengths and weaknesses!” With a shout, she pointed a hand at Discharge, sending a bolt of electricity directly at the startled heroine. Reacting instinctively, Chloe absorbed the power, channeling it into herself, using it to restore her reserves and empower herself.

“For someone claiming to know my strengths and weaknesses, you just made a serious mistake,” Discharge stated, powering up, sending a bolt of lightning back to the white-haired villainess. Rather than be upset, however, the villain merely laughed.

“Mistake? No, not at all,” she replied, pushing back, pumping more current into the blast, sending it back at the blonde. “You and I have very similar powers, girl. Similar... but not the same. The power you can generate is... arguably stronger,” she stated with a scowl, as if just saying the words left a bad taste in her mouth, “but limited. Whereas MY power comes from the elements themselves. My power source is infinite.”

Shit! Chloe realized, beginning to sweat, struggling as the current flowing through her began to take its toll. She’s right! I’m basically a human capacitor. I can absorb and control electricity a hell of a lot better than she can... but there’s a limit to how much my body can handle at one time. She, on the other hand, is like a damned human power generator... uhhhnnn... capable of putting out as much... voltage... as she wants! I... can’t win this! Maybe if I’d overwhelmed her with a major burst from the onset... gggrrrrraaahhh... but now... she’s pushing me... past my limits... can’t hold... any... more... gotta.... release it all... nnaaaaahhhhh....

With a loud cry, Discharge lived up to her name, letting out a cataclysmic burst of electrical power, flooding the area with random arcs of lightning, blackening the side of the building and utterly decimating the truck the thieves had planned to load the gold into. When the flash finally faded, she lay face up on the ground, groaning softly, utterly spent and drained. Satisfied, Voltaire nodded to Fluidia, who gestured with her hands again.

The orb of dirt and sediment released, revealing an unconscious Ghost Girl, having passed out from the lack of oxygen. “Well, looks like we’re two for two,” Fluidia replied, signaling to their minions to load the two unconscious heroines onto a gurney. “We have both of our assigned targets. I guess now it up to the others to take out theirs.”

“Yes, let’s hope so,” Voltaire stated, dismissively. “Let’s get these two back to base as quickly as possible. The city seems abnormally busy tonight, and the last thing we need is to run across another group of so-called heroes to complicate things...”

* * *

Well, this was a lot more complicated than I’d hoped.

I jumped back, panting, rubbing my bruised forearms and sore chest, glaring down at the slightly panting Minnie Munn, glaring back up at me. We’d traded blows fairly intensely for the past several minutes, with her scoring only a few glancing blows here and there. Unfortunately, her smaller stature and unnatural quickness made it hard to land a blow on her at all, forcing me to play a defensive game. Which wasn’t really my style at all. Still, I had a plan. I just needed to wear her down a bit more to get her to stay still long enough for me to entrance her.

“What’s wrong, Divine?” Minnie asked, bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet, “not getting tired already are you? I’m just getting started. If you’re huffing and puffing already, you’re never going to last when I actually get serious.”

Hah. Trying to provoke me. I wasn’t falling for it. “That’s funny. I actually think you’re more winded and tired than I am,” I countered, taking a moment to center myself, lowering my guard. “Of course, it IS a bit harder to tell on your smaller form. For all I know, you could be breathing just as deeply... but hiding it better.”

Minimum smirked. “Nothing to hide, Red. My breathing is just fine. And frankly, you’d probably be lasting longer if you saved your breath and talked a lot less!” she added, charging at me again.

I reacted, however, drawing her in, waiting to the last second before shifting abruptly to the side, letting her skirt past me. “Awww, but I enjoy talking,” I said, with an evil grin, dodging again as she came at me once more, keeping my body more or less in the same place, merely dodging by shifting my hips or my chest slightly to avoid her blows. “Maybe its because Echo was the one who mentored me, or maybe its just a natural love of language,” I said, shifting my hips back and forth, dodging and dancing lightly in place, “but I like conversing with my enemies. And, maybe it’s just me being presumptuous, but I think my adversaries actually enjoy talking with me as well.”

Minnie scowled up at her. “Well, I guess I’m one of the unlucky ones that DOESN’T enjoy conversing with you. Now shut up and stand still so I can knock your teeth down your throat!”

“Oh, but I don’t think that’s really what you’re feeling, Minnie,” I said, dancing away lightly, turning a full pirouette before spreading my arms upwards in a flourish. I smirked slightly noting the way her eyes were drawn to my hips, which continued to move lightly as I shifted my stance from one leg to the other. “Tell me, truthfully now... you’re not really angry with me at all, are you? It was my partner that punched you, after all.”

Her frown lifted as she blinked. “Um... well, actually... no, it IS her I want to strangle—”

“Exactly,” I cut in, exaggerating my nod, causing my breasts to jiggle freely, my smirk growing. “You’re not angry with me at all. In fact, before this all started, we were all talking nicely, remember? I didn’t attack you. And deep down, you know you don’t want to attack me.”

“I... I don’t... wanna attack... you...” Minnie repeated softly, her eyes staring for a long moment before blinking again. “But... but I will...” she said after a moment, “if that’s what it takes to get past you—”

“Oh, now shush,” I said, interrupting her again. “You don’t need to get past me. And you CERTAINLY don’t need to fight. All you have to do is ask nicely,” I stated, staring directly into her eyes. They were noticeably glassy now, and as I moved ever so slightly closer, my head looming up above her, she actually shifted her height subconsciously, growing slightly taller to maintain eye contact. “You’ll find that I’m a very nice person, Minnie... especially nice to my friends. So all you need to do is... ask me nicely... and I’ll do whatever it is you want me to. You can do that, can’t you? Ask me Nicely,, I mean...”

“Yes... I can.. ask... nicely,” she muttered softly again, nearly back to her normal height now, as we now stood nearly eye to eye. I reached out to caress her face, and she inhaled sharply, groaning softly as her eyes fluttered from the contact.

“Yes, sweetie,” I intoned, caressing her cheek, close enough now that my body’s pheromones could really do their job. “Ask me nicely. You know what to say. What’s the magic word?”

“Please?” Minnie said, hesitantly, sounding all the world like an unsure, lost little girl.

“Good girl,” I replied with a nod, granting her a smile. “Very good. I’m very proud of you. Now, since you asked so nicely, I’ll do just what you wanted me to do. So... tell me, what did you want me to do for you, Minerva my sweet?”

“I...” she began, only to pause, the wheels spinning but her gears idled. “I... don’t... I can’t...” she said helplessly, caught in a helpless circuit of want and desire and no idea of how to achieve it. I let her stew helplessly for a few precious minutes, simply savoring the sensation, the thrill, the power of controlling her easily, so utterly... before snapping back to myself, remembering that I had a partner fighting for her life a block over that needed my help. I needed to bring this to a close quickly, and get back to her.

“Don’t worry, sweetie, I know what it is you want. You want to submit to me... for me to allow you to submit, so you can rest your poor, tired mind and body, and just rest.” I pulled her close, my lips just barely brushing her ear as I whispered softly. “you’d like that wouldn’t you, Minnie? It would give you... just so much pleasure to submit to me right now, wouldn’t it?”

“Y-yeessss,” she gasped, panting softly again, her body shivering and shuddering in my arms. “Please... please... let me submit... please let me... want it... need it... need to submit to you... will feel soooo gooooooddddd...”

Again, I had to bite back my own moan of pleasure, her need ratcheting up my own. FUCK! It was Roni’s night with Parker, but goddammit, I was getting laid tonight! Chloe and Rosella had their work cut out for them when we all returned home.

“Then close your eyes and submit to me now, my little pet,” I said, drawing back just a bit from her, taking a deep steadying breath to clear my own head for the next part. “Surrender your mind and will to me, completely and totally... and received your reward,” I rasped, hands sliding down the front of her scarlet and white costume, stroking and rubbing her sopping wet crotch. “Cum, my pet... cum for me now!” I said with a growl, pulling her lips to mine, kissing her deeply, my own orgasm bursting forth as the nubile young girl climaxed mindlessly in my arms. Her scream and mine were both muffled in our kiss, and I was tempted, oh so very tempted to take her completely, to make my permanent mark on her and claim her as my own...

But... that wasn’t allowed anymore. Damned Nornir, and their thrice-damned rules! With an extreme effort, I whispered the swooning girl into a restful slumber, with a few words to surrender peacefully to the police when they eventually showed up. Then, clenching my thighs, straightening my costume, and teasing out my hair a bit with my fingers, I ran off after Pinnacle.

And arrived just in time to see her dropped lightly to the ground by a stunned and incapacitated Maxine Munn, just before she stumbled and dropped to the ground, shrinking slowly back to her normal size. In the skies above, three familiar figured dropped down lightly, wings flaring at the last moment to assure a perfect landing, and moved in to contain Maximum and check on the downed Pinnacle, who appeared to be more shaken up than actually injured.

“...think you’ll be okay,” Ravenheart was telling her as I drew near. “Honestly, she’s not all that strong when she’s not at her maximum height, so I doubt she broke any bo... YOU!” she shouted suddenly, drawing back, silver arm gauntlets glowing lightly. I froze, scowling.

“And a very nice hello to you, Miss Ravenheart,” I replied stiffly. “Thanks for checking on my partner, and making sure she’s okay... nice bedside manner, though I have to say your greeting could use a bit of work.”

“And you’re... ‘Divine’ is it?” Sioban replied just as stiffly, as she and the blonde Frasier girl moved to join their partner. “Nice code name. Seems a bit pretentious... but then again, there’s the personality of the person who picked it to consider.”

“Hah hah hah hah...” I said drily. “You’re a real comedienne, Dragonfyre. Seriously. You and your partner there should totally give up the crime-fighting business and go into show business instead.” I sighed heavily. “Nice greeting for a fellow heroine... I got a warmer welcome from the Munn Sisters.”

“Er, sorry, Ve... ah, I mean, Divine,” Luminaire replied, glancing from face to face, trying to play peacemaker. “It’s not personal, really. It’s just... well, you know,” she shrugged. “They do both carry with them the memories and experiences of the previous Tearbearers... and you did have a bit of... ahem.... ‘history’ with them both.”

“Look, kid, I will be the first to admit that I wasn’t always a saint,” I replied, arms crossed at my chest, “but I’d paid my dues. I already made my peace with the two who’s memories that share,” I said, glaring at both the ebony and ivory angels, “and while we’ll probably never be ‘besties’, they DID both forgive me. And aside from trying to take over YOUR mind, and getting my own twisted like a piece of saltwater taffy, I haven’t done ANYTHING to the three of you that warrants that kind of attitude.” We all stared at each other for a long moment, a three-sided Mexican stand-off of sorts, until my partner coughed loudly.

“Well, um... I have no idea what any of this is about,” Pinnacle stated, glancing around, “but it seems to me that we ARE all on the same side here. We stopped Maxie, and assuming Divine took down Minnie, we have two very strong and dangerous villains to take care of. So, er, maybe we can put our differences aside for the greater good, and make sure those two go to jail?”

I glanced down at my feet at that, feeling more than a little embarrassed. Leave it to the rookie to cut through all the bullshit and get to the heart of the matter. “You’re right, Pinny. You’re absolutely right. I’m just being... overly sensitive. Never mind... forget what I said—”

“No, no,” Tawnya replied with a heavy sigh. “We... we did kind of... overreact,” she admitted, glancing away. “And you’re right. We don’t have a problem with you, specifically...”

“It’s more about what you did to people we care about,” Sioban replied, still scowling. “Look... you’re right. You didn’t do anything to US... and we can’t let the lingering feelings of what happened in the past affect what we do in the here and now. But you have to understand what its like for us. It’s like—”

“Experiencing everything I put them through yourself,” I finished for her, getting a surprised look from them both. “Yes, I know. Believe it or not, I have more than a passing familiarity with exactly what I put them through, courtesy of Miss Luminaire’s mom and her kin. I got to relive exactly what I put your two mentors through... its part of the reason I reformed. I realized what kind of a person I’d become... and I decided that I didn’t want to be her anymore.”

“Yeah, I know,” Luminaire replied softly, placing a hand on my shoulder. I smiled slightly at her. We’d shared a moment. Even if she had emptied out my brain and turned me into her obedient puppet, I couldn’t really fault her. If nothing else, she understood exactly the pain and loss I’d suffered, and how I’d become the person I’d been before all this. “Mistr... Miss Dragonfye,” she hastily amended, blushing fiercely, “maybe we should take Minnie and Maxie to the station and drop them off? It would only take a second or two to teleport them there.” She smirked at Sioban’s expression. “Besides, you really DO need the extra practice.”

“Tch... fine,” she muttered ruefully, shaking her head. “That was the plan, anyway. If you don’t mind sharing the credit for stopping these two, we’d be happy to drop them off.”

“Fine with me,” I said with a sigh. “Minnie’s over in the alleyway to the right,” I pointed out. “I managed to put her to sleep. And, er... don’t mind the state of her costume too much. It was a very intense... confrontation,” I added sheepishly.

“Intense... confrontation?” Ravenheart repeated, frowning, as she went into the alleyway. “I found her. She’s... oooh! Heh. Heh. I see what you mean.” I couldn’t help but blush as she returned moments later, the unconscious girl slung over her shoulder. “You know, Divine, we might have to spar sometime. You might not be as bad as I thought if this is how you treat your enemies.” Chuckling softly, the angels and their captive villains teleported away.

“Um... what did she mean by that?” Pinnacle asked me, once we were alone again.

“Nothing,” I sighed, shaking my head. “Nothing at all. Come on, Rookie. The night’s still young, and there’s plenty more crime to stop. Let’s go.”

* * *

“Let’s just go already!” Shinobi grunted, tapping her foot idly. “This place is clearly not one of the targets.”

“Okay, fine, moving on,” Echo agreed, lifting his wife into his arms before speeding along the city streets again in a blur. “Ummmnn... wow, honey, you’re starting to get a little heavy,” he quipped as he ran. “Might be time to cut back on the pickles and ice cream a bit—”

“Parker, love, if that’s your fat of calling me fat,” she replied in a deadpan voice, “I feel I should remind you that I’m carrying a katana that can slice through tempered steel like a hot knife through butter on my back. And I know how to use it.”

“Calling you fat? NO... wouldn’t think of it,” he said with an exaggerated smile. “On a completely different note, remind me again why I decided to let my pregnant wife tag along with me on patrol tonight instead of keeping you safe and sound at home?”

“Because I’m also your partner, not a delicate little flower that needs to be protected or sheltered,” Roni replied with a smirk, “And because I was going nuts cooped up in the house all day long! I’m barely showing, I’m a healthy and fit woman with no health issues, and I want to get out and DO something constructive for a change! Is that so much to ask?”

“Ahh... now I remember. I agreed because I was afraid your rampaging hormones would cause you to lead you to either fuck the life out of me, or stab me repeatedly with your sword. Either way, my chances of survival were not looking good, so I figured why not let you loose on a few criminals and let you get it out of your system...” He paused, skidding to a halt in front of the Maxx Pharmaceuticals company, as his wife leaped from his arms, glaring at him.

“Parker, that was not—” she began, only to be shushed.

“See that? Flashing light up there on the second-floor window, moving around?” he pointed out. “Definitely a flashlight. Someone’s snooping around.” He closed his eyes, and extended his hands, letting out a hypersonic pulse, then frowned. “Huh. That’s... weird. I can hear voices, people talking softly, whispering, but I can’t pick out exactly where they are. My sonar isn’t giving me anything... must be too much interference from something inside the plant.”

“Could you at least tell how many of them there were?” Shinobi asked, rechecking her gear.

“At least four,” he replied, drawing his telescoping bo staff from his belt. “Three coming from the main room on the second floor, and one more from inside a small office in the back.”

“Only four? Damn... and here I was hoping for an actual work out,” Shinobi sighed. “Ah well, beggars can’t be choosers. Let’s go, partner.”

Moments later, inside the factory, Roni was beginning to regret her earlier enthusiasm. “Okay... this is really weird,” she whispered softly as they made their way stealthily to the second floor. “We’re in far enough now that even I can hear them just above us... I should be close enough now to pick up their thoughts, or at least their presence, but I’m not sensing anything here.”

Parker nodded. “Yeah, and my sonar isn’t giving me anything either. This isn’t exactly ideal... but we’re here, so we’d better just make the best of it.” He paused considering. “If you want to just hang back, I can zip upstairs really fast, scout out the scene, and—”

“Uh-uh. No way. I’m not sitting this one out and letting you take on the danger by yourself,” Shinobi insisted, drawing her sword. “We’re a team. If this just turns out to be some kind of elaborate trap... we’ll face it together as a team.”

“Glad to hear it,” a female voice said loudly as the lights suddenly snapped on, flooding the area with light. Both heroes froze, closing their eyes, momentarily disoriented from the brightness. When they opened their eyes again, however, they actually wished they hadn’t. A series of metal poles had emerged from the floor and ceiling around them, encircling them in some kind of energy field. “Congratulations,” Ms. Machina’s digitized voice replied, her image showing on a large video monitor mounted on the far wall, “you were right. This was indeed an elaborate trap. Not exactly my best work, I admit, but I’m on a bit of a shoestring budget.”

“Ms. Machina,” Echo grunted, shaking his head. “Talk about throwing us a curve ball. You DO realize this is a pharmaceutical factory, right? Not an electronics supply shop? If you’ve decided to change up your game you’re required to send us a memo. I’m afraid I’m going to have report you to the Bad Guy’s HQ.”

Larissa chuckled. “Ah, yes. Echo... always the comedian. Well, let’s see how well you laugh this off.” From the floor above them, the sound of slow heavy footsteps began to make their way across the room. “That lovely ‘Thump Thump Thump’ is the sound of one of my three lovely killbots upstairs coming down to pay you a visit. And rest assured that there’s more to them than simply bouncing voices back and forth off the walls.” Shinobi growled, pulling a shuriken from her belt, tossing at one of the glowing nacelles. The metal star vanished, however, dispersing in a small cloud of black smoke. Ms. Machina laughs. “Oh, did I forget to mention that the energy field being given off is high energy plasma? You probably shouldn’t get to close unless you’re looking to lose a limb or two.”

”Fine,” Veronica grumbled, drawing her sword. ”If we can’t go through the field, we’ll just go up and over,” she said, slashing upwards, cutting a swath of the ceiling down. Larissa’s televised grin merely widens, however, as a thick white gas begins to issue forth from the hole cut into the ceiling.

“Uh oh! Looks like you found one of the hidden gas canisters I had stashed up into the ceiling,” Ms. Machine replied in mock distress. ”It’s pretty potent stuff, too. Looks like you might not have to wait for my killbot to arrive after all..”

“Dammit!” Parker cried, letting loose a barrage of sonic blasts, only to have them dissipate against the energy field. “What the hell, Machina?” he yelled, covering his mouth and nose. “All this time and effort just to take us out? It’s not as if we have history or anything! Why are you doing this?!?”

“Well, truth be told, it’s not really you two that I’m after,” Larissa said after a moment. “You two are just bait for the one I’m really after.”

“Then... cough take me... and let my partner go,” he rasped, shaking his head to keep it clear. “I promise... I won’t... I won’t fight you. Just... cough cough let her go...”

“Let her go?” Larissa repeated back, incredulously. “Are you serious? You’re in no position to be making demands here, hero boy—”

“SHE’S PREGNANT DAMMIT!” Parker yelled, before collapsing down to one knee. The gas was definitely getting to them. His vision was fading in and out, and his head felt like it was stuffed with wet cotton.

Ms. Machina blinked, then blinked again. “You... she’s... you brought a pregnant woman with you to fight criminals?!?” she yelled back in disbelief. “Are you fucking INSANE?! Sheesh... and people think criminals are the crazy ones...”

“Not... his fault,” Shinobi managed to cough out, dropping to the ground, sword clattering into the floor. “Insisted... on coming... had to... watch his back...” Just then the mechanoid from upstairs walked into the room, stepping into view.

“Fredrickson...” Parker managed with a soft sigh, fading fast. “Just... let her go... please. Don’t... don’t do... do this...”

Larissa bit her lip, considering. She hadn’t planned on actually hurting anyone, not really. Hence the knock out gas. Roughing up a bunch of so-called heroes and working through some angst at her own situation was one thing. But... hurting a pregnant mother-to-be? That wasn’t what she’d signed up for. With a deep sigh, she flipped the switch, deactivating the energy field, sending her mechanoid into the enclosure after them.

“Listen... Echo... I need both of you. But I promise... I swear to you, that nothing is going to happen to you, okay?” She sighed inwardly, considering. “I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure you two are safe and unharmed. But for me to do that, you two have to surrender to me, now. Don’t fight me on this,” she added with a slight smile, as the mechanoid raised his fists towards them. “After all... it’s not as if you have a choice in the matter...”

* * *

“Really? I get to choose?”

I nodded. “It’s only fair. I brought us here to the financial section of town. You should get to decide where we head to next. Just keep in mind that this is a really huge city,” I said, as we headed back towards the flashy red convertible I’d bought for hero work. “Spending all our time cruising up and down the streets, driving aimlessly, it kind of defeats the purpose, you know.”

“Well then, I guess it’s your lucky day,” a vaguely familiar voice spoke from behind me, causing me to turn, “because for once, you don’t have to go looking for trouble.” A tall muscular woman in dark-colored spandex with a blonde spiky mohawk stepped forward, sleeveless arms crossed at her chest. “Trouble just found you!”

“Ooooh! ‘Trouble found you’?” Pinnacle repeated sarcastically. “Wow! That was SOOOO original! Let me guess. That’s your superpower—coming up with original wisecracks that no one has ever used before a few MILLION times.”

Janet smirked. “I see you’ve found yourself a new champion. Interesting... very interesting. Normally you surround yourself with the best, brightest and most beautiful. But I see THIS TIME you decided to go in the opposite direction.”

Hannah growled, taking a step towards the blonde before I placed a hand in front of her, blocking her path. “Rule one, rookie,” I reminded her. “Calm down and assess the situation.” Scowling, she backed off, only to stiffen as our adversary burst into fresh laughter.

“‘Rule one’, eh? So this pasty skinned nerd is who you picked to be your new High Priestess, huh? Can’t say it much of an upgrade from Parker Albinn,” she said lightly, as I went still and cold inside, “or your newest acolyte.... Rose Contreras, was it? No, no... you called her ‘Rosella’ I believe.”

I nodded stiffly. “Okay. You have my attention now. Why don’t you explain what this is all about? Who the hell ARE you? And how do you know so much about me?”

The woman chuckled darkly. “Who am I? I’m no one of any significance... at least according to you.” She shook her head. “Just another discarded toy of no more use to her owner.”

I bit my lip, her words tickling something deep inside my mind, a memory from years back, I’d heard those words before, those EXACT words, from someone. But who? “Alright. You obviously have a problem with me,” I stated even as my mind whirled, trying to recall this girl from my past. “If you’re looking for an apology, fine. I apologize. I can admit it... I wasn’t a very nice person in my past. I made a lot of mistakes—”

“Heh. Understatement of the year, there,” the mohawk woman commented.

“—but I am trying to make up for it now. So just tell me what you want. What can I do to make up for the way I hurt you in the past?”

“Well, for starters,” Janet said, walking over to the side of a building, “you can DIE!” Rearing back, she punched the building. Through the building, her fist smashing through stone and brick and mortar, jerking free a piece of steel girder, which she then proceeded to bend and twist and shape into a functional club. “I am going to pound on you until there’s nothing left but a greasy red smudge on the pavement!”

I dodged back as she swung at me, not wanting to get anywhere near someone of her strength level. “Actually, I was thinking more of a gift certificate, maybe a coupon for a free dinner at Shoney’s, something like that. But I am open to talking it over with you, say over the next several hours? My gruesome death seems like a bit of a steep price to pay for a personal slight, after all.”

“Stay back, Divine,” my partner stated, stepping forward. “I’ve got this.”

I winced at that. The girl was definitely brave. We’d both watched this unknown figure punch through a wall and bend tempered steel like it was modeling clay. Pinnacle was strong, but this girl clearly outmatched her. And the blonde clearly knew it, from her relaxed and amused demeanor. Still, Pinny seemed confident enough in her abilities. When this was all over, I’d have to remember to thank her for stepping up.

“I don’t know who the hell you are, or what problem you have with my partner,” Pinnacle stated, placing her hands on her hips, “I’m ending this little confrontation here and now. Pinnacle Stare!” she yelled, glaring at the villainess, using her most potent power...

And the villainess again let out a laugh.

“Hehehehehe... was that it? That was your best shot, your ultimate weapon?” she taunted us. “Sorry little girl. I guess your best just isn’t good enough.” Pinnacle growled, hands clenching into fists. She looked ready to charge at blondie, but I placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Rule seven, Pinny,” I murmured softly, feeling her tense underneath my hand. We were in a bad situation here. Hannah’s ‘Pinnacle Stare’ really was her trump card. As far as we’d learned in training, it was really really potent. Hell, it was stronger than my own hypnotic and seduction powers, as well as instantaneous. The fact that mohawk girl was completely unaffected was definitely a game changer. We were totally outclassed. And Rule 7 was a bit trite but true enough: He who fight and runs away lives to fight another day. In other words, if you get in over your head, there is nothing wrong with a timely strategic retreat to reassess and come up with a new battle plan.

As we turned to run for it, however, I got a glimpse at just how bad our situation truly was. “Going somewhere?” a trim muscular brunette dressed in dark brown asked, stepping forward to bar our path. “Mistress Kinestia isn’t done with you just yet. I’m afraid you’re not escaping your fate... not on my watch.”

Siphon. All the pieces were starting to fit into place now. This wasn’t just some random thug carrying a beef with me. This had all been planned out in advance. What better way to tackle a goddess than bringing about a Super capable of neutralizing her powers yet allowing you to still use your own? And her boss’ name... Kinestia? Kinetic powers? Yeah... we were royally fucked.

“Good job, pet,” Kinestia replied with a smirk, stepping forward. “Do you see now, Satore? You were beaten before the fight even started, But don’t worry... I’m not going to kill you and your little friend out of hand.” She shook her head. “No... that would be WAY too easy for you. I intend to see you suffer first. I want you to feel some of the pain you’ve dealt to me before I finally end you.”

I swallowed at that. “Fine. So you’re pissed off that I did something to you back in my past. I get it, okay? But this girl... Pinnacle? She has nothing to do with this. Let her go... and I’ll surrender without a fight.”

But Janet shook her head. “Sorry, bitch. You’re not in a position to demand anything. I decide how this is going to play out.” She smiled an evil grin that actually made me shudder. “Not a nice feeling, is it? Being so helpless, not having any control over what happens? Well, that’s just a taste of what all of your former slaves have been through!”

Ah. Another piece of the puzzle. And her ‘discarded toy’ comment made more sense now. Before I could call her out on it, however, I looked up to see Siphon standing right in my face. “Enough for now. Time for you to rush off to dreamland.” A large meaty fist snapped forward... and I slumped to the ground, head snapped back, as the stars in my vision sparkled, then dimmed, then faded to black...