The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Title: Delayed Resistance

AN: This story is intended to be enjoyed as a fantasy by persons over the age of 18—similar actions if undertaken in real life would be deeply unethical and probably illegal. © MoldedMind, 2021.

* * *

Time to get up, Carrie thought to herself. It was once again a Sunday, and she had once again spent the night listening to her self-hypnosis recording. She had successfully put off listening to it all of that week, telling herself she was done with it. Telling herself she wouldn’t listen to it anymore, wouldn’t listen to it ever again.

But every week it was the same. She swore she wouldn’t listen to the recording. She swore she would delete it first thing on Sunday morning, after once again failing to keep herself from putting on to listen to over the course of Saturday night. And yet every week, something stopped her from actually deleting the recording from her phone. I’ll get to it tomorrow, she would tell herself. This refrain would repeat each day of the following week, until Carrie once again found herself face to face with her Saturday night. The date would have arrived, and yet, Carrie would find herself slipping her headphones in her ears, pressing play, and closing her eyes.

Then she would tell herself, I’ll only listen it to it for five minutes, and then I’ll stop it before I fall asleep. But five minutes would become ten, and ten would become twenty, and finally Carrie would find herself drifting off to sleep. Carrie would be listening to the sounds of the recording echoing through her head as she became drowsier and drowsier, even as she cursed herself for being so weak and giving in to playing the recording for herself again.

It was a simple problem, really. Carrie wanted to give up the recording— really, she did.But the recording did not only affect her during the course of the night as fell asleep and slept. It also affected her during the day. She often woke up the next morning on Sunday feeling a lingering sense of confusion, and she found it hard to get her focus back throughout the day.

And even on weekdays, when the recording was a distant memory of the previous Saturday night, it haunted her. She thought of it during the week, remembered the last time she’d listened to it fondly, even as she told herself it couldn’t happen again— and thought ahead to the next time she could listen to it; thought how much she would enjoy it then, too. Even though every time after that she reminded herself it wouldn’t happen again, and there would be no “next time.” To put it simply, fighting the desire to listen to it was a complicated thing that spanned days.

So, for all her determination, and her desire to be free of the recordings effects and whatever it was doing to her as she slept, in practice, she never quite followed through. She would intend to forego listening. But then she would find consistently that her resistance would… well, sort of break down. Often thoughts about the recording would get out of hand. She’d get lost in her feelings of fond fond memories and anticipation, and suddenly find herself falling headfirst into a spiral of hazy feelings and confused thoughts that seemed to hijack her body. The result was pretty much the opposite of resistance: it was obedience.

And when this happened day after day, all week long— well, the end result was the same. Saturday night would come around, and Carrie would find herself cueing up the recording to play, just like every other week.

There was more at play than simple lack of willpower, of course. As Carrie suspected, the recording was doing something to her mind. After months and months of listening to it, she had changed a little. The constant drifting into dreamy thoughts and increasing mental confusion were a result of listening to it, Carrie was sure.

This made it all the more crucial that she stop listening to it before it could change her further. It made Carrie determined to double down and resist even more, and yet this increased motivation seemed to lead to the opposite of Carrie’s desired outcome. She struggled harder to resist… and found herself falling into mental spirals of obedience that pulled her down into lethargy, and apathy. The harder she tried, the more quickly she gave in. And when she recognized that, she would try even harder to fight back— and give in even sooner.

So Carrie’s only defense now was telling herself she would resist… in the future. Never in the present, because when she tried to resist in the present, she collapsed into obedience again. But if she told herself that she would resist tomorrow… or the day after, or at the end of next week… she could at least hold out a little hope that she would be able to turn her situation around. Next time, she would resist. This never changed the outcome.

Still, the thoughts and feelings that made Carrie obedient followed her through her days. They came with her to work, where Carrie frequently zoned out at her desk and started at the wall, losing herself in an internal sea which sometimes carried her right through the entire week to the point of reaching Saturday night again. She’d adapted to this state well-enough that it seemed her body could go on behaving normally even when her mind was otherwise occupied, or even all together absent.

However, she was only able to keep this up if she let her feelings of obedience carry her away. The times when she struggled against it, she was the least productive at all: caught in an internal war with no ability to turn her attention outside herself, and focus on the task at hand. Of course, these days resistance only meant faster surrender. But early on it had been different— she’d lost hours, days of work trying to fight her thoughts of surrender and her work performance had taken quite a dive.

It had been one more incentive to give in: when she resisted, it sapped all her energy and all her focus, and it took a toll on her life. When she gave in, not only did it feel great, but all of her work miraculously got done without her having to mentally engage with it at all. It had sweetened the temptation to surrender, and had convinced Carrie into doing so more than once.

But— there had been a cost, and after so many times giving in, Carrie’s mind had been altered. To the point where she couldn’t even directly resist anymore, without falling back down the spiral of obedience. The only resistance possible to her was avoiding surrender instead of directly fighting it. Putting it off— she would surrender later, it was inevitable, and then she would resist after that… but for now she would get on with her day while she was still capable of thoughts on topics unrelated to obedience.

Even that didn’t really help. It led Carrie into a gray, in-between state of being partially obedient and partially aware, on the borderline between surrender and resistance. It was a pleasant feeling, but Carrie suspected even this was changing her mind and driving her desire to obey deeper into her. But at least it allowed Carrie to hold on to the dream of resistance, without having to actively practice it, and lose control of herself that much more quickly. Maybe she could build back up to resistance, she thought. If she started by dreaming of it, and telling herself that she would do it in a little while… or the next day… or the next week, then maybe eventually she would have enough momentum behind her to successfully win her internal struggle and regain control of herself.

The result of this hope, however, was a greater temptation to give in— and each time she did, her craving for it strengthened, and kept Carrie, who once had really loved nothing more than her independence, mental and otherwise— from having just that.

Because Carrie really did love thinking for herself— she loved to learn, she loved to come to her own conclusions about the world based on a wide variety of information, loved to consider ideas and issues from all sides. She had had the delight of experiencing the satisfaction that accompanied this kind of thinking and learning more than once. In Carrie’s ideal world, and when everything was working the way it should—including her own mind—that was her favorite feeling.

She loved the feeling of learning, loved when she could look back on her recent past and see her growth. She loved to grow as a person, loved mental growth, loved to expand her horizons.

So this was another reason Carrie was frustrated by her struggles with the hypnosis recording. If the changes coming over her had to happen to someone, it was cruel that it had to be her— not only was it a constant reminder of her own weakness when she broke down and listened, but also, a reminder that she was losing her independence, changing from a free-thinker to a programmed thinker, because the recording was making her change into that.

But as Carrie once again got out of bed on that Sunday morning, she told herself that she would resist. All was not lost— she’d turn everything around and regain her former mental clarity. She wouldn’t delete the recording from her phone today, because she couldn’t. But she would resist… she’d resist tomorrow.

It was okay to leave her resistance until then. At least for now, it meant she could keep at least part of her mental focus. She wouldn’t put it off forever… only as long as she needed to. She’d resist later… she’d resist tomorrow… or by the end of this week, for sure. Tomorrow had to come around eventually… and until then, she could wait.

* * *