The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Camilla Tales — The Beginning

July, 1675 — Thuringia

The ancient castle dominated the valley, it overhung some buildings in the town below. Above, high in the castle there was some anxious people busying themselves with work.

Count Olaf Neidelmeyer paced the stone cold battlements nervously.

The work was not going as planned. Master Stonemason Helmut of Bergen was being paid a handsome sum, but was not working with the urgency the project needed.

Count Olaf let him know his feelings on the matter.

It was getting close to dusk.

Rudolf, the Count’s herald announced that a carriage was approaching. “See to it!” Olaf snapped as he rounded on the Master Stonemason again.

“But, your lordship” Helmut said, “I do not understand why you would want the tower sealed up…?”

“Your task is to do it as agreed!” Olaf said. If he didn’t need the Master Stonemason he would have had him flogged for his tarrying about.

With the advent of gunpowder, canons and the like the way of stone castles had gone. The Master Stonemason knew this… so why bother with a tower that could be demolished in less than a day by accurate cannon fire? Furthermore they were sealing the top of the tower. It made no sense. Helmut thought the Count was mad; but he was being paid well. Still, it seemed a sin to take money off of a fool.

* * *

“Father!” Camilla cried

“Camilla!” Olaf gasped as his daughter ran into his arms “What are you doing here?”

“You sent for Ulrik…”

“Yes, but only your husband”

“Father, I could not but come”

“You shouldn’t have”

“But why…?” she sensed her father’s anger.

“Sir” Lord Ulrik said, approaching

“What possessed you to bring your wife?” Olaf said angrily.

“Sir? Have we offended you?”

“You must turn around and leave!”

“Sir?”

“At once, damn you. At once!”

“If your Lordship may…?” Wilhelm the body servant interrupted

“What is it?”

“The time…, my Lord” Wilhelm bowed “Tis near sunset”

“Er…, yes” Olaf said, “very well… prepare their quarters”

Wilhelm bowed, “This way my Lord” he said to Ulrik

“Father?” Camilla asked, holding her father’s hand, “Tell me what is the matter?”

“This place is now cursed…” he said

“Father?”

“Cursed” he repeated, “I do not say this lightly.”

“I am sorry if coming here displeases you” she said

“I feel you are in danger”

“Danger?” she laughed, “From what?”

“Evil”

He broke away from her grasp and went on to harangue the workmen under the Master Stonemason.

Camilla turned to Frieda, her attendee maid. “Come” she said,. Frieda curtsied and followed her mistress.

Camilla made her way down to the Hall of Thurmin, the great hall of the castle built by her great-great-uncle Thurmin the Fowler. Across the hall she travelled with her maidservant. She went to a large tapestry that hung on the wall and moved it. It hung as a curtain across a tunnel entrance down to the family crypt.

Only the tunnel was also barred by a guard.

“Out of my way” she demanded

“I’m sorry, m’lady” he said, “The Count has ordered that no one is to go down here”

“What?” she gasped, “This is preposterous… I’ve come to pray over my mother’s vault!”

“Please, m’lady” he said, “I have my orders!”

“Come, m’lady” Frieda urged, gently tugging on her mistress’ sleeve.

“This is outrageous!” Camilla said. “I’ll have to have words with Father” she said as she showered away.

* * *

Count Olaf would not be swayed… the crypt was closed. Camilla sulked. She did not attend to dinner, but rather, in protest chose to dine in her quarters. Her husband made excuses but Olaf knew he had stung his daughter with his rebuff. She and her mother were incredibly close.

Camilla went to her quarters. She was shocked to find the balcony had been boarded up with heavy planking.

“Who’s doing is this?” she asked a servant of the castle

“You father, the Count” he said.

“This is ridiculous” she said. She went to the wooden boards as if she could tear these down herself. She beat at them futilely.

Her husband entered. “Are your quarters to your liking?”

“No they are not!” she said

“Is there anything I may do, my wife?”

“Please have these removed…” she said, “I miss the view of the town”

“I will see to it…”

At about ten o’clock there was a knock on Camilla’s door…

“May I approach, M’Lady?” Father Roman begged

“You may” Camilla said as she sat at her dresser, Frieda brushing her luxurious blonde hair.

“Please understand his Lordship” Father Roman said, “There is a curse upon this house…”

“Are you here to speak for my Father?” Camilla snapped, “Is he incapable of talking himself?”

“Please, M’Lady” Father Roman bowed, “I come not at his bidding”

“I do not need the services of a priest”

“Now more than ever, you do, M’Lady” he said, not looking up.

“Then you go pray over my mother’s tomb”

“There would be no point…” he began to say but caught himself

“What?” Camilla snapped again, she had her father’s fiery temperament, “What callousness is this… you need to attend the souls of the dead as well as those of the living”

“M’Lady” he bowed

“You are from the monastery…?”

“Yes, M’Lady”

“Perhaps you should return?”

Only then did Father Roman noticed that there was a gap in the wooden boards leading out onto the patio. “M’Lady”, he began

Suddenly a scream shot out through the night.

Father Roman forgot what he was going to say and turned around to see servants run past the door with lanterns.

“What is going on?” Camilla demanded, “Where is my husband?”

“I will see, M’Lady” Father Roman said. He went out into the corridor and stopped one of the servants.

He looked paled when he returned. “It is nothing” he said upon returning, clearly lying. “Please, M’Lady, if you could just wait here…”

He bowed and closed the door.

“I’ll do no such thing!” Camilla said. She turned to her servant “Fetch me a cloak”

Frieda bowed and did as she was ordered.

Camilla returned to the gateway to the crypt, having dodged the servants. She was pleased to find no guard guarded the way. “Wait here!” she said to her servant, “I will attend the family crypt alone”

“Yes, M’Lady” Frieda curtsied.

The crypt was dark, dank, but familiar to her; generations of her family were there. She knew the way. She found herself in the crypt of memories. She went to that of her mother, Lidia of Brogues. Camilla found the sarcophagus sitting prominently in its recess, but the lid was broken in half, with half missing. Camilla leaned over and peered into the void, and brought her torch to shed its light. The place of final rest was empty!

Camilla stepped back a few steps in horror. How could her father do this? She thought. Her mother, Lidia came from Brogues in Flanders as a child-bride. Olaf was ten years older but not the intended for her. Olaf was not expected to inherit the County being the second son; it was also why he was named after a Russian prince… which had been a gesture of good will on the part of his father Count Oscar. Count Oscar had negotiated for Lidia for his eldest son. A year later Eric died and she was berthed to Olaf. Lidia grew to beauty but disappointed with a single child.

Olaf turned to a maid-servant Hilda and through her fathered three sons; Peter, Maximilian, and Henry. Lidia was outraged and she arranged to have the boys poisoned. Lidia also brought charges against Hilda of witchery.

Two of the sons suffered a terrible fate, but the youngest had managed by sheer luck to have survived.

She failed in her bid to kill all the rivals to her daughter’s inheritance, but Hilda was found with a forbidden book. It had surprised some in court that she could read at all, but they examined her and she was found with witch-markings.

To protect him, young Henry was sent away.

At the stake before she burned she cursed Olaf—for not doing enough to intervene. He did not care to risk his reputation; and he had his remaining son to think about—that was enough he needed from her. She turned to Lidia and cursed her as well. Lidia quietly smiled.

Only Camilla escaped the wrath; being absent in a nunnery for her upbringing. No one took the curses too seriously, despite the fact that they were prepared to sentence her to a painful death for her evils.

Lidia knew that her daughter would not inherit the titles of her father; Salic Law allowed only the male heir to do this; but she could prevent those boy from being made legitimate.

It was then she lost her mind. Lidia retrieved Hilda’s book and began making a pact that would be the ruin of her soul…

Her death was sudden and unexpected. The cause of which seemed to suggest suicide. No one could know how true this was, or the blood pact she had made, for the price of her life.

And now she was missing from her crypt.

Camilla was marred off at fifteen. Without her knowing her father petitioned the Emperor to have her disinherited and his son made legitimate.

And then Olaf began losing servants too … A maid was found pale, and cold. Then another maid. Then people in the village. It seemed that every few nights another would die.

Olaf realised there was a curse upon his house, and he had sent for his son-in-law in desperation. Neither Ulrik nor Camilla knew how Olaf was trying to legitimise his last remaining bastard.

Thus Camilla was furious with her father, but for different reasons; it seemed to her that her father had desecrated her mother’s resting place.

She turned from the crypt and left, in disgust. She collected Frieda on her way back to her room saying only that she would leave in the morning, and hopefully persuade her husband to do so as well.

It came as a total surprise upon re-entering her room to see Lidia standing there.

“Mother!” she gasped, she swooned and almost fainted.

“My child” Lidia said. She crossed the room in an instant, catching her daughter before she fell.

“M’Lady…” Frieda began.

“Silence” Lidia said, her eyes boring into Frieda. Frieda felt her mouth clam up.

“Mother?” Camilla cried, “Is it really you?”

“Yes, my child” Lidia smiled

“Mother…” Camilla began “You’re soooo cold”

“I am” Lidia said, “But seeing you again can only give me warmth and comfort”

“But…” Camilla said as she was able to stand again, “How is this possible..?”

“Anything is possible to our Lord” she smiled.

When she did Camilla noticed her upper canines were slightly long and sharp-pointed.

“I am confused” Camilla said

“Don’t be…” Lidia said, “Just be aware that I am here, and that I love you…”

Camilla smiled and threw herself into her mother’s arms “Oh, mother!” she cried into her mother’s bosom “I have missed you so much”

“Bu…?” she continued, “Why are you here… here now?”

“I have work to continue here” Lidia said

“Work?”

“Yes…” Lidia said, “I am here to destroy this house that tried to disinherit you”

“What do you mean?”

“Your father…” Lidia said, and at mentioning him her eyes seemed to go blood red in rage, “He married that whore and fathered those bastards to steal from you…”

“I could never inherit it…” Camilla said

“No, not the titles…” Lidia said “But you could have had the land, the money…” She looked into her daughter’s eyes “None of that matters to me anymore…” she continued, “But I do this for you…”

“Unhand her!” Father Roman cried, stepping into the room

“Priest!” Lidia screamed. She moved at the man of the cloth. He held his cross up from his neck.

She screamed and looked away.

“Please, M’Lady…” Father Roman said to Camilla, wishing to get between woman and witch.

“What are you doing?” Camilla cried, aware that her mother was in pain.

“Please…” he began

Camilla turned to Frieda. Her eyes boring into the young woman.

“Be gone” Father Roman said

“Please, stop hurting her…” Camilla cried

“You, priest!” Lidia spat, cursing him.

Frieda had, unseen by all gone to the dresser and retrieved a hair-brush. It’s thin metal handle crashed into Father Roman’s back. He screamed in pain. He let go of the cross and in that instant Lidia had flown across the room and knocked him to the ground.

She was on top of him. She bit into his neck and she fed.

“Mother?” Camilla cried. Her mother grunted like an animal as she filled her belly on hot warm salty blood. And Father Roman resisted not. He lay there under her power, lying, dying.

“Mother, what are you doing?”

Lidia sprung o her her feet, panting, invigorated. She turned to her daughter, smiling as blood dripped off of her pale white chin.

“Darling daughter” she said. Camilla wanted to turn and run

“Don’t go” Lidia said and suddenly Camilla found her feet fastened to the ground, as if she was standing in concrete.

“Mother… please…” Camilla said, “Don’t hurt me”

“Oh, I’m not going to hurt you!” Lidia laughed, her fangs only now retracting “I’m going to give you a great gift”

She held her right arm up and with her left hand she showed her nails. Suddenly the left index finger’s nail extended out like a talon. She dug it into her right wrist, breaking the skin.

“What are you doing?” Camilla cried as she watched her mother draw her own blood

“Drink this…” she said, offering it to her daughter.

Camilla wanted to look away, but her mother’s words were so compelling. She sucked at the red rivulet. It tasted like nectar.

“That’s enough… for now” Lidia smiled As she drew her arm away the wound closed over and then healed immediately till there was no discernible difference.

Lidia turned to Frieda. “Come here” she said. Freida did.

“You will obey my daughter and with your life protect her” she said, “And say nothing of this!”

Frieda nodded blankly unable to resist.

Lidia returned to her daughter and undressed her. Camilla swooned, the blood in her burned her. Lidia took her daughter to the bed and lay her in it. Camilla shivered, she both chattered her teeth and burned at the same time.

Lidia drew the sheet up over her daughter like a shroud, then she left. “Soon, my darling” she could be heard saying.

In the morning Olaf demanded that Ulrik take Camilla away at once.

“Sir…” Ulrik asked, “Have we offended thee?”

“This place is cursed!” Olaf said, “I do not want my daughter tainted with the evil that walks these halls”

“I will attend to her”

“Do it” Olaf said.

Ulrik walked to his wife’s quarters and knocked on the door. Frieda answered, but kept the door open only a little

“I must see my wife”

“M’Lady is unwell”

“Unwell?”

“Err… yes, M’Lord…” she said “Women’s problems”

“Can she travel?”

“I’m afraid not, M’Lord” Frieda said, “Travelling now might spoil her…”

“I see…” Ulrik said

“Can I see her?”

“She is attending to her ablutions” Frieda said, “And is not fit for a husband to look upon”

“Very well” Ulrik said. He was resigned to the fact he would have to just bear the wrath of his strange-acting father-in-law.

Frieda went back to the bed and could see the sheets in flux as Camilla struggled underneath them; her body losing to the poison inside her.

Frieda stood watch.

“Well?” Olaf asked as Ulrik returned

“She is in her period of flux” Ulrik said, “And it is dangerous to travel”

“Is she?” Olaf sighed.

“M’Lord” came the Master Stonemason… “We have raised the wall”

“Let me see…” he said, distracted by the issue of very important works.

At sunset Frieda removed the shroud. Camilla lay there still. Her skin deathly pale. Her eyes opened. She looked at Frieda and smiled… her upper canines were slightly loner, sharper.

Lidia suddenly appeared at the window. She entered

“Mother!”

“My darling” Lidia said going to her daughter

“What have you done to me”

“I have given you a great legacy”

Camilla looked about. As she saw Frieda she seemed to see inside, through the woman’s skin; the blood coursing around her, bones, heart. She looked about the room. Suddenly she heard stomping feet. Her eyes zoomed in on a rat that skirted across the floor. Concentrating she could hear its hear beating. She hated rats. As she thought about the rat the rat squealed in pain. It lifted up from the ground a few inches and then seemed to collapse in on itself, it’s body crushed by an invisible force collapsed lifeless on the floor.

“You need to feed” Lidia said, opening her top. Her breast leaked fluid. It was blood!

Camilla smelled it, as the drop hit the bedding. She salivated. Lidia moved closer and guided her daughter to her teat.

Camilla suckled, grunting in delight as she supped.

“My darling” Lidia said, gently rocking her daughter. “Now, you have your strength” she said, “We will hunt together”

“Hunt?”

“Yes, come…” she said rising and tucking her breast away

“I want more!” Camilla whimpered

“Yes, my sweet” Lidia said, “Come, you may have as much as you want”

She drew her daughter out of bed and to her feet. Camilla reached for her mother’s breast.

“No, not from there”

“But I want more!” Camilla cried

“Yes, my darling child” Lidia said, guiding her to the window… “But it’s out there…”

“What is?”

“The blood” Lidia smiled, “All you want”

Lidia showed her the way. She went head-first down the side of the wall, her feet and hands holding on with some mystical force. She clambered down like a spider. Camilla followed.

Camilla knew it was night, but everything seemed so bright. Her eyes adjusted to the dimness. They moved swiftly through the village. Camilla was fascinated by her senses. Without thinking she looked at her left hand. The nails there extended out like talons and then as she wished, retracted again. It thrilled her.

But underlying all this was a hunger she had never known before.

Little Heidi lay in her cot in her parent’s loft near their bed. Downstairs Flavian and Anne busied themselves attending to their guests. The Inn was busy. Anne’s sister Julia drew beer into large steins and handed these to Anne who pushed her way through the throng of patrons to a table.

“Thank ye, M’dear” one customer said, before slapping her on the ass.

“Careful!” the other said, “That’s Flavian’s wife”

“Who is Flavian?” the visitor asked

“He’s the bull that runs this place” his learned friend said

“That’s right” Ann said, “He can beat any man in the valley”

“No disrespect” the friend said

Anne passed the stairs when she heard Heidi crying. She went to her husband “I need to feed Anne”

“Be quick, woman!” he said.

“Yes, husband” she nodded.

Julia watched as she drew another mug of beer.

Flavian was a large man, strong, and twenty years older than Anne, who was barely out of her teens. It was an odd match.

Anne climbed the wooden stairs up to the attic. She drew her breast out and then picked up her baby and drew her onto her breast. “That’s it” Anne cooed, “Oh, you are thirsty”

Outside Camilla stood. She turned to her mother. Lidia smiled. Camilla bent her knees just a little and then sprung in one bound the fifteen feet to the window ledge.

Anne sung a soothing song to her sprog. She then felt the hairs on the back of her neck rise. She looked to the window. “Oh!” she gasped seeing a pair of eyes watching her.

Camilla’s eyes burned like fire; like the unquenched fire in her belly. She gazed into Anne’s eyes.

Anne felt a calmness overcome her. She stood up, still breast exposed. She stepped towards the window. Heidi tumbled out of her arms to the floor and she didn’t even notice. Drawn forward she reached out and undid the latch on the window. The cool night air rushed in, kissing her exposed breast.

Camilla felt her canine’s extend. She could smell Anne. She could see her in ways she had never thought possible. Camilla stepped in through the window. She took hold of Anne’s clothes and pulled them free, exposing more than just her breast.

Anne looked down at her own bared top, as if it were another’s and she was watching a dream. Camilla pressed her mouth to Anne’s neck

“Oooo” Anne sighed as Camilla fed.

Lidia climbed in too, drawn to the crying baby.

Mother and daughter fed on mother and daughter.

“Anne! Flavian cried as he entered the loft.

Anne stood there before the open window. Blood tricked down her chest. “Anne!” he growled “i’ve been calling you for ten minutes!”

Anne blinked, as if coming out of a coma. “Where…?” she gasped, “Where’s Heidi?”

She turned, saw her daughter and screamed. She barely noticed the wound on her neck.

The townsfolk sent a delegation to the castle to humbly petition the Count to act. He listened to their story with sorrow and anger.

“Where is my daughter now?” he asked a servant. “And fetch my priest!”

“At once, M’Lord” the servant bowed.

An hour later found Olaf, also searching for Father Roman. He went to his daughter’s chambers. Frieda barred the way

“Move aside!” he demanded

“M’Lay is not to be disturbed” she said

“I said move aside!” Olaf hollered

As he stepped forward Frieda pulled a dagger from her sleeve. “No one is to disturb M’Lady!” she screeched mad with rage.

One of Olaf’s guards stepped forward and Frieda slashed at him with the blade. He staggered back, clutching his throat. Another guard hit her with the pummel of his sword. She gushed blood from her forehead.

In her dazed state Olaf pushed past her and went into his daughter’s room. He found her covered in her shroud-like state. Frieda grovelled around on the ground trying to regain her senses.

Olaf pulled the sheet back. A beam of sunlight struck her cheek; it seared her flesh. He covered her back up. A guard found Father Roman’s dead body.

Olaf drew his sword and pointed the tip to his daughter’s still body. He cried. He could not do it.

Olaf had his daughter carried “Don’t let her exposed to the light” he said. The guards obeyed.

Camilla was conveyed to the crypt. Olaf placed her in the crypt of her mother. He ordered the Master Stonemason to come and he commanded that the crypt be sealed up.

Helmut ordered his men to work. “Bring that wench to me!” Olaf ordered “I will want to question her”

“At once, my Lord” a guard said. Returning to the room Freida was nowhere to be found.

Frieda stumbled about. She tore some of her dress to bandage the wound on her forehead. She made her way to the great hall and saw the workmen covering up the crypt entrance. She was in pain, but she had an over-arching need to serve her mistress. She fought through the blinding pain.

Frieda grabbed a faggot from a near-by fire and threw it onto a curtain. In moments it soldered and then caught alight.

The workmen rushed over to attend to the fire and in that moment Frieda rushed into the crypt to be with her new mistress.

She sat content b the crypt as the light disappeared; sealed inside…

Olaf was furious that Frieda had managed to escape. The day dragged on and then as all days it came to an end.

Ulrik stormed into Olaf’s personal chambers demanding to know where his wife was.

“I’m afraid, my son” Olaf said “She has fallen to the curse…”

“Curse?” Ulrik scoffed, “What curse…?”

“There is a great evil here”

“The only evil here is your ignorance”

“You dare mock me in my own home!”

“You dare keep me from my wife… she is legally my property!”

Olaf rose. Ulrik stepped back and drew his sword. Olaf drew his too.

“Masters, Sirs!” Rudolf begged.

There was a blood-curdling scream.

Everyone turned to see… Lidia stepped into the room.

“Lidia!” Olaf growled

“What have you done with our daughter?”

“She is no longer in your reach!” Olaf said

“If you do not return her I will destroy you all!” Lidia said.

She turned to a guard who had his hand on his sword hilt “You will obey me!” she snarled.

He stood to attention, then turning to Olaf drew his sword and charged. Like a madman; a man literally possessed he slashed and hacked; striking down Rudolf and going at Olaf.

He struck Olaf a heavy blow and then Ulrik parried another thrust.

Ulrik was a fine swordsman but was shocked at how furious the guard fought.

Then she possessed another guard with her will and he was launched at them both.

Lidia grabbed a third guard and tore into his throat and fed. When she had his energy coursing through her own veins she turned and joined the attack.

Ulrik scored a fine hit on one guard and as he pulled his sword from the man’s side Lidia struck him.

He brought his sword over his head and crashed it down into her body, right at the base of the neck. He did so with such youthful power the sword cut down into Lidia’s body. She howled in pain. He drew the sword from her and then watched in horror as the massive wound on her body simply closed over.

She looked at him smiling. She tried to impose her will on him but he was not a simpleton like the guards. But she stayed back for a moment till her body healed. In that moment Ulrik turned to defend again his father-in-law.

Finally there were just the three of them. Two there; one wounded… Olaf wheezing, exhausted, wounded. Ulrik worn down a little, but still defiant…. and the vampire. She moved back and forth gauging the moment looking for an opening, ready to strike.

“I want my daughter!” she paced.

“Be gone demon!” Olaf cried.

Suddenly there was the rumble of more footsteps. More of the household were coming.

Lidia ran past the two swordsman and leaped out the window. Ulrik rushed after her and looked out to see her clamber like a spider down the stone wall surface.

Ulrik had now a moment to think about what he witnessed, and he trembled.

Olaf grabbed him by his hand “You must finish the defences” he said, “Or tomorrow night she will return”

“Where is my wife…?”

“She is gone” Olaf said

Ulrik took this to mean she had passed on

“Where is her body?”

“She is with our family now” Olaf said.

“I must attend to her…”

“No!” Olaf cried, “The living must take priority!”

He squeezed Ulrik’s arm to emphasise the point. Ulrik realised the wisdom of the words and nodded. Only then did Olaf let go, slumping into unconsciousness.

“Take him!” Ulrik ordered the men attend to Olaf.

“You!” he sad, “What is your name?”

“Rudolf” he said, “Like my father before me”

“Very well” Ulrik said “Can you read and write?”

“Yes, M’Lord”

“I need you to write for me”

“Yes, M’Lord” he said

“Also, send for another priest!”

“At once M’Lord” Rudolf nodded.

Ulrik turned to another servant. “You!” he snapped

“Yes, M’Lord”

“Hasten to the monastery and bring me back a priest”

“Sir?

“At once!” Ulrik snapped

“Yes, M’Lord”

Ulrik then helped the masons—even working himself to bring a new metal barred gate into place

That night Lidia returned. She found a guard at the top of the west tower, that she had scaled within minutes. She fed from him. He never made a sound. The next guard she found stood behind an iron gate that had been recently installed.

Lidia grabbed the iron bars and twisted them like they were rubber. The guard heard the noise of metal grating on metal and came running. He saw her and thrust his spear at her through the bars. She caught the spear and pulled it so hard he smashed against the bars. She continued bending them; enough to fit in. The guard was stunned and lying on the ground. She hovered over him “Look into my eyes” she said, and she enslaved his mind.

Olaf was in his bed. Lidia felled a guard and then another. All in silence. A maid—she was caught and joined Lidia in unholy service. Lidia stepped into the room smiling. She moved stealthily to her husband. She drew away the sheet and bit into his wrist. His blood surged into her body.

Lidia sucked. Olaf began to cough. Lidia looked into his eyes. She had nothing but hatred for him.

And yet he was smiling.

“You fool!” she spat, his blood drooling down her face, “You have lost”

“And in my loss, I take you too!” he smiled.

Lidia suddenly felt sick. She doubled over. Even as Olaf bled out he smiled, he had poisoned his own blood and she had drunk it herself.

Camilla felt this loss. She turned to Frieda and drew suspense from her loyal servant and fellow prisoner.

Ulrik found them in the morning. Lidia’s body now a husk. Olaf paled. Father Lucas from the monastery stepped forward and sprinkled holy water on the bodies. He wanted to administer last rights but realised that Olaf had poisoned himself—thus he had committed suicide.

“What are you doing?” Ulrik asked, seeing Father Lucas simply standing there

“I cannot help him” he said, “For he has taken his own life”

“He poisoned himself to kill this evil witch”

“Yes” Father Lucas said “He has paid an enormous penalty, but the fact remains that he has died outside the grace of the church.”

“You fool!”

“Would you challenge the church?”

“No”

“Then these bodies must be consigned to a purifying fire!”

Ulrik nodded and signalled a servant to act. They took the bodies away, out to the castle’s courtyard.

Ulrik went to the tomb entrance.

“Husband?” Camilla cried from within

“Camilla?” he called,

“Husband… help me”

Ulrik turned to a workman “Unblock this..!”

“Yes, M’Lord!”

Ulrik watched as workmen rushed to unblock the entrance.

Then he saw his wife, she was pale, but beautiful

“Come” he called

She steeped forward but the light of the sun burned her and she retreated into the shadows

“Husband, please come to me”

“Come out” Ulrik said

“M’Lord, I cannot” she said

“Why not?”

“They have cursed me…” she said, “You must come to me!”

At the same time Father Lucas was returning from the courtyard. “M’Lord!” he called at once seeing Ulrik and the opened way to the crypt

Ulrik stepped inside.

“Dear wife?” he called

Father Lucas ran to the edge of the darkness but would not go forward.

He peered into the dimness

He saw Ulrik lying on the ground his wife atop of him, grunting as she fed.

It was too late.

Father Lucas urged the workmen to re-seal the entrance. One muttered that he wished they would make up their mind. But he did so, at the suggestion of a flogging by the Master Stonemason

“You can’t hold me!” Camilla said from just inside the shadows. “I am stronger than stone”

Father Lucas urged that they make a round piece of mortar, and into this as it dried he carved a prayer into it. He began to pray. Camilla shrieked in horror as she heard this.

Camilla heard this… “Please, no, don’t do this to me” she begged

Her chance at escape sealed off. She screamed in rage. She tried to touch the new wall blocking off the tunnel and her skin burned from the seal’s power.

Father Lucas shed a tear. He asked that the heir, Henry be sent a message of the fact he now was the new master of this place.

Then the castle was evacuated and closed up.

“What shall we do now?” a mason asked Father Lucas

“It is not for us to decide now… but the new lord of this place.”

“What will you do?”

“I shall stay and when the new lord comes I shall endeavour to guide him”

Father Lucas could only hope that the new Count, Henry, would leave this cursed place alone.

The End

(for now)