The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Boomerang Bang

This story is my way of proving that Jukebox isn’t the only MC Erotica author who can choose his story titles to match a song title, even though I don’t know how well-known Lauren Christy’s song really is. Go ahead and Google the song title. I’ll wait. At any rate, I owe a huge thanks to grey_shadow, who hosted the July, 2008 MC Forum contest into which this story was originally entered. This story has adult content, including some sexual situations and, if you’re either underage or otherwise put-off by such things, you should close this window now before I can inflict any more damage. If you’re still reading this, you can e-mail comments and criticism to me at . I appreciate all commentary.

“And, in our top story tonight, local police are baffled by the appearance of yet another young woman who has been found, wandering nearly naked along a dark stretch of highway just outside of town. For more on this story, we go live to the police headquarters where Melissa Fine has the complete story.”

Scores of living rooms and bedrooms throughout this small community were fascinated by the news of what had been happening for the past week. Although it was obvious that the police weren’t revealing everything they knew, this story had it all: sex, mystery, and a sense of confusion that came about as a direct result of the limited information. Most households watching the news fell silent as many people were hoping for more information about these strange occurrences.

“Thank you, Steve. Tonight, another young woman, believed to be in her mid-to-late twenties, was found walking along a dark stretch of Highway Six shortly after 9:30 tonight. Although her name is not known, she has many of the same characteristics as the four other women who were previously found in this same area over the course of the past week. Specifically, she was nearly naked and ambivalent about her lack of clothing, in about the same age group, and athletic looking.

“Because of an increased police presence on Highway Six, she was picked up by Officer Ron Fitzwater and taken here to the police headquarters for her own safety.”

* * *

On hearing this news, Ed scowled. He glanced over at his last slave-girl, who was casually stroking his stringy, gray hair, and sighed.

His slave-girl paused. “That was a pretty heavy sigh, master. Are you all right?”

“The cops were out tonight, half-expecting to see something. That’s how they got Kimberly. The last thing we need is to have the police catch me. Fortunately, Kimberly can’t tell anyone anything.”

“Can’t tell anyone anything...” Her voice trailed as she resumed running her fingers through his hair. Both turned their attention back to the TV screen.

“... have released this photograph of the woman they picked up.” The TV screen switched to the image of Kimberly, her face emotionless. If you looked closely at the makeup around her eyes, you could see the last vestiges of the fact that she clearly had been crying at some point before the picture was taken.

Melissa Fine, the reporter, appeared on the TV screen again. If you have any information about this woman, or any of the previous four who have been discovered, please contact the police department immediately. Back to you, Steve.”

“Thank you, Melissa. Once again, the phone number for the police headquarters is 476-5423, or 4-POLICE. If you have any information regarding the identity or background of any of these five women, please contact the police immediately.”

The screen turned to black and showed the pictures of all five women who had been discovered. The phone number of the police station was displayed in white below the lower photographs.

“In other news, today, City Zoo officials laid out plans for a new snake exhibit. Many curators and members of the zoo have complained about the lack of such an exhibit for our zoo. After raising the necessary funds, though, this future exhibit will give these reptiles a pit to hiss in....”

* * *

Nancy buried her face in her hands as the news shifted from the story of all of these girls appearing out of nowhere and lay her head on her husband’s shoulder. “Every time,” she whispered. “Every time they report another found girl, I can’t help but wish, can’t help but hope...”

“I know,” responded Gary, dispassionately. “I do, too.”

* * *

Officer Fitzwater finished his report and slumped in his chair. He had been the first police officer to pick up one of these five women, wandering aimlessly along Highway Six, but all five women were now in police custody.

The woman he had picked up, was pacing around in her holding cell. She didn’t present any obvious danger to herself or to anyone else, but if she didn’t have anywhere else to go, the police had no choice but to keep her in the some kind of custody. She was still wearing the flowing skirt she had when she was picked up, but now she was also wearing a light blouse, courtesy of the police department.

Another police officer, Angela Michaels, slowly approached the new girl’s holding cell. The girl stopped pacing and stared at the woman who approached her. Cautiously, Officer Michaels said, “Hello.”

The girl nodded.

“My name is Officer Michaels, but you can call me Angela. What’s your name?”

The girl cocked her head and smiled. “Are you my master?”

“What?”

“Are you my master? Please say the trigger.”

“Um. I don’t want to be your master.”

The girl’s face tightened and it appeared as though she was about to cry.

Angela quickly responded. “No. No. No no no no! Please don’t cry. I’m sorry. I’ll be your master.”

The girl stopped crying immediately and a wide, almost comical smile, crossed her face.

“Can you please tell me your name?”

“My name?”

“Yes, what can I call you?”

“You can call me whatever you like, once you demonstrate that you are my master. I’ve never served a woman. This will be quite exciting. Please say the trigger.”

Angela paused. She had no idea what the trigger was, and really wasn’t all that interested in finding it out, but she had already made more progress with this girl than Ron had, and she wasn’t about to let it go. “Tell you what. I seem to have ... forgotten the trigger, but...”

The girl started to cry.

“But, wait! I’ll see what I can do to remember it. Just be .. you know, just be patient with me. Can you, you know, give me a hint or something?”

“No hints. But I can wait for you. You must pray no one else comes with the trigger first.”

“I’ll do that.”

The girl put her head down and started to pace around her cell again.

Angela turned around and saw Ron standing directly behind her. His presence startled her and she jumped.

“Sorry. Didn’t mean to frighten you.”

“That’s okay, Ron. What do you think?”

“I’m not sure. This sounds like she’s looking for a hypnotic trigger. It could literally be anything.”

“Yeah. I just wish we knew ... well, anything about this girl.”

“Yeah. But we’ve got to keep looking. I’m going to stay here for the night, but tomorrow, I want to search the area around Highway Six in the daylight. Would you like to join me?”

“Sure.”

* * *

Ed glanced over at his last slave, who was glancing at him lovingly. She doesn’t know why all of her fellow slaves were released, and she doesn’t suspect that she’ll be released shortly, either, he thought. But she can’t stay either. Not with the sickness. It was better this way. “Briana,” he said, “I’m tired. Why don’t we go to bed?”

Briana’s face lit up at this prospect. “Yes, master!” she said excitedly. She started to peel off her skirt and stockings. Before she was in the bedroom, she was completely naked.

He climbed into bed and said, “I’d like to just watch you tonight. I’m too tired to do anything myself.”

“As you wish, my master!”

She cupped her hands over her breasts and started to dance the slow, sensual dance that she knew always pleased her master. He was a good master, always allowing her the freedom to explore her body in ways only she could imagine. As her hands ran up and down her sides, one hand slipped casually between her legs.

“That’s right, Briana. Now finger yourself.”

She bit her lower lip as her fingers found every pleasure point between her legs. She was used to doing this and she knew herself well.

“That’s it, slave-girl.”

She let out a squeal; she loved being called a “slave-girl.” In her heart, she would always be Ed’s slave-girl.

“Now I’m going to count to five. On the count of five, you’ll have a massive orgasm that won’t stop until I say so. Then you’ll cuddle in next to me and fall into a deep, restful sleep. Do you understand?”

“Yes, master.”

“Good. One. It’s feeling really good. Two. That’s it. You’re getting closer and closer. Three. You love doing this. Four. Almost there. And ... five.”

Briana’s voice cracked as she vocalized the pleasure that was coursing through her entire body, making her shake and convulse.

“Keep going! That’s it. You can keep it up!”

“Yes! Yes! Oh, master, yes!”

“All right, Briana. On the count of five, you’ll stop. Ready? One. This is the most amazing feeling. Two. You love this. Three. You’re feeling lightheaded. Four. You can take your hand out from between your legs. And five. Stop!”

She collapsed from the pleasure next to him on the bed, snuggled in, and started to snore. Ed looked at her, closed his eyes, and thought about how much he was going to miss her. After all, she was his favorite slave. That’s why he saved her for last. He wished there were some other way, but he knew that there wasn’t.

He just hoped that Briana wouldn’t respond to the news of her liberation the same way Kimberly, Megan, Danielle, and Tanya did. But that’s all it was: hope.

* * *

The following day, Officers Fitzwater and Michaels drove out to Highway Six, hoping to find some evidence that could help identify this latest young woman.

Officer Fitzwater reviewed the details of the previous night in his mind. He saw a couple of cars in the bar parking lot, but he had no way of checking to see whether they belonged to people out for a drink.

Still, there was no harm in talking to people in the bar. He went into the bar, while Officer Michaels examined the field that was dissected by the road, in hopes of finding a footprint or something.

The two police officers parted company to perform their respective tasks.

In the end, no one in the bar had seen anything suspicious the night before, and, although it was clear that the girl who was walking along the highway occasionally stepped off of the pavement and into the dirt and grass along the side of the road, it wasn’t possible to determine where she had come from, or how long she had been walking when Ron picked her up.

* * *

Night began to fall and Briana lovingly prepared a gourmet meal for herself and her master.

“This is delicious, Briana!”

“Thank you, master.”

“May I be completely honest with you, my dear?”

“Of course, master!”

“Of the six girls I have had working for me, you were always my favorite.”

“Thank you, master! I’ve really enjoyed being here with you.”

“I know you have, my dear. And that’s.... that’s why.... I have to.. I don’t want to but I have to.....”

Briana’s eyes widened in shock. She knew that master was releasing her fellow slaves but never thought she’d be let go, too. “Don’t tell me you’re ... you’re going to.. No!” She started to sob.

“Briana, I need you to understand something.” He stood up and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “I don’t have much time left, Briana. My body is being destroyed by diseases that have been laying dormant for decades. I don’t want you to see me get any worse.”

“But, master, I love you!”

“I know you do, Briana. That’s why I don’t want you to see me die. You deserve your own life. If I die and you’re still here under my control, then you won’t have anything to turn to, and you might die too. And that’s not right. I’m so much older than you are.”

“But master, what are you going to do? Don’t you need me here with you? I don’t care about the age!”

“Yes, I do need you here, and I do care about the age. I want to make sure you’re well cared-for. Maybe you can return to your former life before you came to be with me.”

The tears were streaming down Briana’s face at this. Her makeup, by this time, was badly smudged. “But master! Please! I’ll do anything. Let me stay with you until the end! Please! Don’t let me go like you did the others! Please, I’m begging you!”

“I’m sorry, Briana. I don’t have any choice. I need you to be safe. Now, here’s what we’re going to do.”

“I don’t want to hear it, master!”

“You must. You’re a good slave-girl and you will obey me.”

“I ... will ... obey ... you.” She never had a hard time responding to his commands before, but knowing the command that was about to come, she fought against her own programming. In the end, though, her hands fell limply by her sides and she gazed, expressionless, straight forward.

“Very good, Briana. I need you to go wash your face.”

“Yes, master.” She stood up and casually walked off towards the bathroom. A few moments later, she was back, her face clear of makeup but it still had a youthful shine.

Ed glanced at her, admiringly. She had such a natural beauty that she really didn’t need to wear cosmetics, but it was something she enjoyed doing, so he had no reason to stop her from doing it. He’d always considered himself a benevolent master to all of his slave-girls and he made up a story in his own head about how he hoped they appreciated it.

He opened the hall closet and pulled out a white blouse and a long, flowing cotton skirt. A “hippie” skirt, if you would.

“I want you to change into this. No bra, no panties, no stockings. Just this.”

She casually removed her household clothing and stood naked before her master, allowing him to appreciate her body, before she reached forward and put on the clothes he had chosen for her. “Will I be wearing shoes, master?”

“No.”

Once she was dressed, he smiled. “That’s very good, Briana.”

“Thank you, master.”

He walked over to the window and glanced out at the sky. “It’s nearly dark. We should probably get going.”

“Where are we going, master?”

“You’ll see.”

Briana’s reluctance returned to her face and she walked slowly, purposefully, out the front door and to the passenger’s seat of the car.

After locking up the house, he joined Briana in the car and started the ignition. He glanced over at her. “You know that I don’t want to do this, but... but I have to.” He wiped a tear out of his own eye. “I’m going to... I’ll miss you, Briana.”

He took her face in his hands and gazed into her eyes. He leaned forward and planted a final kiss on her lips, which she gladly returned, with passion and vigor.

By now the sky was a deep violet, with a low cloud cover that partially obscured the moon. “Let’s get going, Briana.”

“Yes, master.”

Almost immediately after they started moving, Briana’s hand found its way to Ed’s thigh. He decided not to tell her to move it.

They drove for nearly an 45 minutes before they reached a closed gas station on the outskirts of town. He pulled in.

“All right, Briana. Here’s what I want you to do. Are you ready?”

She turned to face him one last time. “I am ready for you to command me, master.”

“I want you to get out of the car, remove your blouse, and throw it in the trash.” He paused for the briefest of moments, thankful for having instructed Megan a week ago to walk away topless. In retrospect, he probably wasn’t sure why he thought of it in the first place, but it guaranteed a spot on the news. As a result, he now had a way of knowing that his girls would at least be safe without him.

“Then you will walk out behind this building,” he continued, “and walk across the field over there. I want you to count fifty paces. Once you have reached fifty, you will be free from my command. Please keep in mind that freedom does not give you the right to speak of me or anything I may have had you do.

“You know the trigger word. If something should change, I will come for you and use the trigger to re-enslave you. If someone else should use the trigger on you, I expect you to be just as dutiful to him or her as you were to me. Do you understand?”

“Yes, master.”

“Good, Briana.” He got out of the car, walked to the other side of the car and opened the door for her. He helped her out of the car, looked into her eyes one last time, and whispered, “Goodbye.”

He left the gas station as she disappeared behind the building. None of these liberations had been easy, but this one had been particularly gut-wrenching. He cursed the day he had ever found that artifact in Africa.

On the drive back home, he made up his mind. Once he was back in his own house, he surveyed the living room, pulled out a pen and paper, and started to write.

I am writing these words to whomever finds my lifeless body. I have lived a good life, making a name for myself by going on countless journeys across the globe, through danger and peril.

In the past few years, I have actively hidden from public view. I do not regret either being so visible in my younger days, nor do I regret being so invisible in my later days.

I do not know what divine providence afforded me the luck to achieve some of the things I achieved, nor do I know if that same divine providence now fills my body with pain and disease. I know I do not have long on this earth and I wish to ensure that all of my affairs are in order before I leave.

I therefore bequeath all of my worldly possessions to the local museum in hopes that they may put some of the artifacts I have collected and/or used to my advantage to a better use than I, a simple, hard-working man, could have done. The curator of my museum shall have all powers of the executor of my estate.

It is my desire that my remains be cremated and the ashes spread across the Serengeti. Please use whatever resources my estate can provide to accomplish these ends.

God bless!

Edward “Jungleman” Comstock

Now, all he needed to do was make sure Briana was all right. The news would be on in just over an hour. He retrieved his shotgun from the cabinet where it hung and started to polish it.

He glanced down at the gun and smiled. This was his second most trusted weapon in his arsenal. He hadn’t used it in years, but when he had used it, it always did what he needed, when he needed, and it had a way of transcending the fear of the situation. If there was ever a weapon to be used at a time like this, it was this one.

He turned on the television in hopes of seeing a preview of the news. He saw a few previews, one reporting on the weather and another mentioning the story of the nearly naked women found along Highway Six, but nothing that gave him any sense of certainty that Briana had been found and brought to safety.

The time dragged along slowly until the strong music that signaled the nighttime news came on. “Good evening and welcome to Action News. I’m Steve Kennedy. Our top news story today is the latest in the ongoing saga of the nearly naked young women who have been turning up along Highway Six on the outskirts of town. Live, at Police headquarters is our own Melissa Fine. Melissa?”

“Thank you, Steve. It seems that yet another young woman has been found along the highway. She was picked up by Officer Angela Michaels, who was patrolling the area.”

Ed heaved a deep sigh of relief.

“I’m here with Officer Michaels. Officer, what can you tell us about this girl?”

“Well, she seems to fit into the pattern that we’ve seen over the past week with young, nearly naked women, turning up along this stretch of highway. She apparently had been walking across the field, but we haven’t been able to determine how long she had been outside or where she was when she started walking.”

“Are you any closer to identifying any of the six women who’ve now been found?”

“No, unfortunately not, Melissa. That’s why we’re asking for everyone’s help. We’ve been distributing pictures of all six of these women to local media outlets in hopes that someone will recognize one, some, or all of these people.”

“Thank you, Officer Michaels. Back to you, Steve.”

Briana’s face appeared on the screen. Ed, now assured of the safety of his last, favorite slave, was at peace. He casually walked to the phone, dialed a phone number and said, “Hello? Yes, this is Edward ‘Jungleman’ Comstock. I live at 25 Safari Way... That’s right... I need you to send someone to my house... I am about to kill myself.... Yes... No, please don’t try to talk me out of it. My time is limited as it is. Just please send someone out to retrieve my body.... Just do it! Thank you.”

He hung up the phone, picked up the shotgun and placed two shells into the chamber. He looked around and decided that the backyard, secluded, dark, and private, would be the best place to do it. He glanced over his letter one final time, stepped out of his house, put the gun in his mouth, and pulled the trigger.

* * *

Nancy was talking to her sister on the phone when she heard Gary call her excitedly from the next room. “Nancy! Come in here, quick!”

“What is it, Gary?”

“Just come in here! They’ve found another girl, and... and...”

Nancy came running into the living room. When she saw the picture on TV, she nearly dropped the phone. “Um, I need to call you back, Maureen.” She looked at her husband. “Could it be? Is that.. do you think that’s...”

Gary, overcome with emotion, simply nodded his head.

“What was the number they said to call?”

The news anchor answered her question, as if perfectly timed. “Once again, if you have any information, please call the police at 476-5423, or 4-POLICE.”

With trembling hands, Nancy dialed the number. “Yes. Um, hi... The woman that got picked up tonight. I think she’s my daughter.” There was an eagerness, a rush to her voice. Gary looked at her and made exaggerated movements of breathing deeply to get her to calm down.

“Sorry. I’m just... well, it’s just that my daughter disappeared ten years ago and now... well..... Anyway, my name is Nancy Somers. I believe you have my daughter, Briana, in custody... My husband, Gary, and I will be there as quickly as we can.”

Nancy and Gary collected as many photographs, memorabilia, and police reports from Briana’s disappearance as they could, and rushed off to the police station.

When they reached the police station, they were greeted by Officer Michaels, who introduced herself. With a smile, she shook their hands. “Thank you for coming here so quickly.”

“Please. If this ... if this is our daughter, well, you don’t know how much it would mean to us.” Gary realized that his words sounded stupid as he said them, but he figured he could be forgiven for his excitement.

“Now, Mr. and Mrs. Somers, you have to understand that this woman—if she’s your daughter—may not recognize you. What’s more, like all of the others, has been asking for her master and hoping for a trigger of some sort.”

“What does that mean?” Nancy didn’t mean to sound as indignant as she surely did.

“Well, if this is your daughter, we suspect that she was a part of some kind of slavery ring for quite some time. How long ago did you say she disappeared?”

“Ten ... ten years ago, when she was 18.”

Gary looked at his wife and finally said what he feared. “What if, well, what if she doesn’t recognize us?”

“Then we won’t be able to turn her over to you, but we could do a paternity test if you’d like.”

“Let’s worry about that when and if it happens.”

Officer Michaels took a deep breath and said, “Let’s go in.”

The walk down the corridor to the holding chambers was short, but, to Gary and Nancy, it took forever. The newly discovered slave looked up as the three people approached her cell.

Nancy let out a gasp. It had to be Briana, it just had to. “Briana?”

Briana opened her mouth slightly. She was clearly unsure of what to say. She squinted her eyes and, after a moment, opened them up again.

“Briana?” Nancy sounded somewhat more desperate, hoping that her daughter would recognize her.

“Mom?”

“Is it? Are you all right? What happened?”

“I, um... I don’t ... Where am I? What are you doing here?”

“We heard you were here, and we came down.”

“But I thought. I, well, you were so angry with me and, you know...”

“Yes, and I’m so sorry! You father and I, we’ve missed you so much!”

“I’ve missed you, too, mom!”

“We’d like to take you home.”

“Yes. I’d like to go home.”

Officer Michaels interrupted them. “Briana. Do you remember where you’ve been these past ten years? We’d like to go after whoever did this to you.”

“Of course. I... well, I ... I don’t remember ... anything.”

The officer leaned over Gary’s shoulder. “With your permission, I’d like to get a rape kit and see if she’s been sexually assaulted. Even if she hasn’t been assaulted, maybe we could learn something if she’s been with someone recently.”

“Yes, please.”

“Briana, could you please come with me? I’d like to do a quick test before I send you home with your parents.”

“Um, sure.”

Officer Michaels led Briana to a private room and another police officer joined them.

After about fifteen minutes, they had taken the necessary samples but it didn’t appear as though she had had sex with anyone in the previous three or four days. Angela wanted to test the samples anyway, in hopes of finding something actionable.

Briana was reunited with her parents, who finished filling out the paperwork, promised to notify the police if they learn anything new, and drove home, ecstatic at the return of her daughter.

About an hour or so later, Officer Ron Fitzwater returned to headquarters and let out a sigh. “Edward Comstock, the famed wild game hunter and nature enthusiast killed himself tonight. He left this note.”

He handed the note to his colleague. “I’m sure the museum will appreciate it.”

* * *

The following day, the news of Ed’s death competed with the successful identification of Briana Somers as one of the six mysterious women. Gary and Nancy agreed to insulate Briana from the news media, at least for now.

Being rebuffed for any real information about the discovered young woman, the TV news decided to report on the news of the sportsman’s death first.

“Did you see that, Nancy?” Gary called to his wife and daughter. “I remember Ed Comstock. Legend has it he killed a lion with a boomerang!”

Briana stopped in her tracks. “You’ve returned to me, master! Thank you for saying the trigger. How may I serve you?”

Gary and Nancy just looked at each other, unsure of what had just happened.

Gary cautiously, tentatively spoke after a long, uncomfortable silence. “Um, Briana?”

“Yes, master?” There was an excitement in her voice that simply wasn’t there previously. Even though she had been home for the better part of a whole day, only now did she sound like she was at home, where she wanted to be.

Gary diverted his eyes over to his wife, silently asking her what he should do. Nancy simply shrugged.

“What’s supposed to happen now that I’ve provided your, um, trigger?”

“I shall serve you, pleasure you, do whatever you require of me until you set me free or until I die.”

“Well, Briana. I want you to be my daughter. Be the woman your mother and I raised to adulthood. The woman who left us but came back smarter, stronger, more worldly, more confident, but still our daughter. I want you to be the daughter who loves her parents and whose parents love her back. Can you do that?” He crossed his arms with a satisfied gesture. He noticed his wife nod her approval.

“Yes, master.”

“Good. Now, Briana, I know it’s late. Are you tired?”

“If you want me to be, master.”

“Yes. Be tired and go to bed. In the morning, we will take you down to the police headquarters and you can provide a more complete picture to the police. But for now, go to bed.”

Briana turned around, casually stripped out of her clothes, and went to sleep in her old bed.

Gary looked at Nancy and whispered, “I’m worried about this, but for now, we probably ought to use this to help out the cops. I wonder what the trigger word was.”

Nancy cocked her head and mused. “Probably either lion or boomerang. You were talking about Ed Comstock’s death.”

“Yeah. That’s right.”

* * *

The following morning, Gary and Nancy took Briana back to the station, where she revealed everything she could remember, including the secret code, which turned out to be ‘boomerang’.

In relatively short time, the cops were learning the identities of the other five women and were on a path to locating their families. Even though she was the last person released, she was the first to be identified by virtue of the fact that the other girls either (1) had run further away from home when they first encountered Ed, or (2) had no known living relatives (as was the case for Tanya and Kimberly). Within a month’s time, all of the ex-slaves were either settled back with loved ones, or placed in a halfway house as they sought to re-integrate back into society

The one thing none of the girls was capable of doing was naming their previous master, providing any information about his appearance, current whereabouts, or identity. The most they would say was, “He was good to me.”

The cops wanted to pile up a laundry list of charges against the six slaves’ former master, but none of them was interested in pressing charges and they all exhibited hostility to attempts to identify him in the first place. Officially, the police file on the case was never closed, as each of the six young women was reunited with their family. After some difficulty, they all had regained most of their free will, although they occasionally would require some instruction to perform some relatively simple task and/or would stop whatever they were doing to assist their new “masters”.

* * *

Ed Comstock’s ashes were spread in the Serengeti in accordance with his wishes, about two weeks after he died.

Two weeks later, the local museum sent a few workers to his house, to rummage through the items the museum now owned.

Two young interns were cleaning out a closet when they found women’s clothing. Jake started to lay the clothes on the floor and asked Sherri, “Was he ever married?”

“Yes, she died about ten years ago.”

“And he kept her clothes ever since?”

“He must’ve.”

“Was that when he kind of disappeared from society?”

“Yup. The death of a loved one can do that to you, I guess.”

Jake shrugged and continued to empty out the closet. Tucked away in a corner in the back of the closet was an ornate wooden box, heavy and beautifully decorated. “I think I found something!”

“What?”

He pulled the box out of the closet and lay it on the floor. “Should we call the curator?”

“Probably, but let’s see what’s in it.”

Jake lifted the metal clasp holding the box closed and opened the lid. He had a more direct line of sight into the box than Sherri did and, without thinking, he said, “Whoa!”

“What?”

He lifted the golden boomerang out of the box and showed it to Sherry, casually waving it back and forth due to the way it comfortably fit in his hand. “Take a look at this.”

He didn’t need to say this, since her eyes had already found the item and were following it as he waved it back and forth. She said nothing.

“This is beautiful. I wonder if this is what he used to kill that lion.” After a long silence, he said, “I wonder how you get a boomerang like this.”

Sherri finally spoke, her gaze distant and vacant. “I am yours to command, master, mind, body, and soul. How may I serve you?”

Jake glanced back and forth between the boomerang and his attractive colleague who was offering herself totally to him, and chuckled. “We can talk about that later.”