The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

BEST SELLER

By Milo Minderbinder

Ted Armbrister walks into the Barnes & Noble. A six-foot color poster announces the arrival of his newest thriller, The Perth Protocol. Pre-orders and a score of favorable reviews ensure the book will land at the top of the best-seller lists.

Armbrister will sign copies on the second floor in an hour. In the meantime, he wanders the store. He’s not as well-known as Stephen King or James Patterson. No one recognizes him.

No one, except for a willowy blonde in black suede, over-the-knee boots. She pretends to read a magazine while she watches him, nods,and smiles to herself.

* * *

Six years ago, Armbrister’s first book signing at an independent bookstore in Louisville garnered three buyers. And two of those were relatives.

But he kept writing, grinding away, sacrificing time with family and friends. No vacation travel. No holiday getaways. He rose at four in the morning to write before work and suffered from sleep deprivation for months. He devoted all his free time to perfecting his craft. It’s finally paid off.

* * *

The line of book lovers snakes through the store, stretching all the way to the cafe. His agent is working on a movie deal with Ryan Gosling and Rebecca Ferguson as the leads. His college alma mater invites him to give the commencement at graduation.

Ted Armbrister has arrived.

He loves his newfound notoriety. He laughs and jokes with his fans, scribbling inscriptions on the title page.

An hour into the signing, feminine hands with slim fingers hand him a copy.

Head down, he asks, “Who shall I make this out to?”

“Sapphire Rain,” says a voice as sultry as a summer day on the gulf.

Armbrister looks up. He’s staring into blue eyes so pale, they border on transparent. But they also hint at a great power hiding behind them. Time stands still. Armbrister’s intern nudges the writer’s elbow.

Ted Armbrister, master of words, is at a loss. He blinks, shakes his head, clears his mind. “What was that name again?”

The woman smiles, like she knows the world’s greatest secret, but it’s one she’ll never share. “Sapphire Rain.”

“Sapphire Rain?” The name echoes in Armbrister’s mind. “That’s a very unusual name.”

The woman arches a perfect eyebrow. “I’m a very unusual woman.” She has blond hair, like spun gold, resting on her shoulders. Cheekbones sharp enough to slice bread. A cashmere sweater, clinging to her curves. Armbrister can’t see the rest of her, blocked by the table.

“Indeed you are,” Armbrister says under his breath. With great effort, he breaks eye contact, grabs the book, and flips to the title page. He writes: BEST WISHES TO SAPPHIRE RAIN, A VERY UNUSUAL WOMAN, then signs his name.

Sapphire reaches for the book, gold bracelets jangling on her wrist, silver ring with a turquoise setting on her finger. Their hands momentarily brush. Armbrister jumps in his seat, like receiving an electric shock. Sapphire smiles mysteriously and walks away. Armbrister tries to keep track of her, but the crowd is too thick. She disappears from view.

The intern nudges Armbrister again. The book signing continues. But Armbrister’s thoughts return to Sapphire Rain, her pale blue eyes, and her enchanting, sultry voice.

* * *

Back in his hotel room, Armbrister orders room service (half-pound bacon cheeseburger—medium-well, fries, and a beer), forty-two dollars plus tip. But that’s a luxury he can now afford. After dinner, he’ll work on the outline for his next novel, then turn in early. He has a three-hour drive to Charlotte for a singing tomorrow afternoon.

Armbrister’s typing on his laptop, but his new book is lacking something. His thoughts again drift to Sapphire Rain. What a great inspiration to build a femme fatale around. Armbrister’s fingers fly across the keyboard. He cranks out two-thousand words in thirty minutes. His head buzzes with ideas for this character.

A knock at the door. Room service! Armbrister didn’t realize how hungry he was. And he’s also sweating. He saves the file, goes to the door.

It’s not room service.

Sapphire Rain stands in the doorway, one hand on the jam, her lips curled into a triumphant smile. Now that they are both standing, he can see she’s taller than he. At least she is in her black suede, over-the-knee boots.

Armbrister’s eyes flick to the boots, lingering for more than a moment, then back to those pale blue eyes. With the greatest of efforts, he says, “Sapphire Rain.”

“It’s good you didn’t forget. That would displease me.”

Armbrister’s heart skips a beat. The idea of displeasing her makes him shake.

Sapphire doesn’t wait for an invitation. She pushes into the room, letting her hand caress his chest. Her scent is like a flower garden in spring. She walks to the laptop, inspecting the document. “I see I’ve made quite an impression on you.”

Armbrister is confused. He shakes his head to clear his mind, but it doesn’t help. “What are you doing here?”

“You want me here,” Sapphire says. “I saw it in your eyes, the moment we met.”

“I’ll admit I find you intriguing. But I’m not su—”

“You want me to leave?” Sapphire says in mock distress. “Most men are grateful to be in my presence.”

Armbrister’s chest tightens. Sapphire is more beautiful than he remembers. The cashmere sweater. Faded jeans, like the color of her eyes, hug her curves and tuck into her boots. A tiny purse in her lovely hand. He feels his will twisting. “I suppose I can understand that.”

“Suppose?” She makes her annoyance clear.

“Um, I mean yes, I understand why they’d be grateful.”

“That’s better.” Sapphire sits on the bed, crossing her legs. The boots look like they go on forever. “You’ll find you like saying ‘Yes’ to me.”

“Yes.” Armbrister nods.

Sapphire giggles. “Come sit with me.” She pats the bed.

Armbrister sits. His gaze flicks from her eyes to her boots. Back to her eyes, then the boots.

Sapphire says, “I want to pay close att—Are you listening to me?” Her voice takes a sharp tone.

“Uh, yes.” Armbrister forces his eyes up from her boots.

“Really? Because you seem pre-occupied with my boots.” Sapphire giggles, swivels on the bed, dropping the boots into his lap.

Armbrister gazes down. His jaw drops opens. His heart pounds.

“I’ve noticed that the femme fatales in your novels wear boots with a surprising frequency. I figured you had a fetish.” Sapphire lifts her right leg to Armbrister’s eye level. She traces a shiny red nail the length of her calf. She flexes, rotates her foot.

Armbrister’s forehead drips with sweat. He gasps for air.

Sapphire spins again, removing her legs from his lap. “Of course, that’s only one method of my control.”

At the mention of ‘control’, Armbrister’s hands shake.

Sapphire giggles. “That’s right. I’m going to control you. She pulls a silver pocket watch from her purse, dangling it before his eyes, sets it spinning.

Armbrister swallows hard. “I must insist th—”

“Men don’t insist,” Sapphire says, “I do the insisting.” Her voice becomes a sultry whisper. “Go ahead...

“And watch my watch...

“Listen to my words...

“And relax to my voice...

“It’s so easy to do...

“Not a care in the world...

“Watch the spinning watch...

“The reflection of the light...

“My voice in your mind...

“My words becoming your thoughts...

“Watch the spinning watch...

“The reflection of the light...

“My voice in your mind...

“My words becoming your thoughts...”

She moves closer. Her lips an inch from his ear.

“You want to obey me...

“You need to obey me...

“You must obey me...

“You will obey me...

“You want to obey me...

“You need to obey me...

“You must obey me...

“You will obey me...

“Feeling so tired...

“Feeling so sleepy...

“Feeling so tired...

“Feeling so sleepy...

“Eyelids so heavy...

“Wanting to close...

“Eyelids so heavy...

“Wanting to close...

“Desperate to sleep for me...

“Desperate to sleep for Sapphire...

“Desperate to sleep for me...

“Desperate to sleep for Sapphire...

“Wanting to go so deep for me...

“Wanting to go even deeper for me...

“Wanting to go so deep for me...

“Wanting to go even deeper for me...

“Desperate for sleep...

“Desperate to sleep for me...

“Counting you down to five...

“And when I reach zero...

“You will drop into the...

“Deepest...

“Dreamiest...

“Trance possible...

“When I reach zero...

“You will drop into the...

“Deepest...

“Dreamiest...

“Trance possible...

“Five...

“So sleepy...

“Four...

“So helpless...

“Three...

“So weak...

“Two...

“So tired...

“One...

“So vulnerable...

“Zero! Deep sleep now!” Sapphire snaps her fingers three times in quick succession.

Armbrister’s eyes slam shut. He slumps to one side. Sapphire grins. Long ago, dropping men into trance ceased to be any sort of challenge, but she still thrills whenever they fall under her hypnotic spell.

“Listen closely, my pet.” Her voice is less sultry, more authoritative.

“You are under my spell...

“Compelled to do whatever I ask...

“Always eager to gain my approval...

“You are under my spell...

“Compelled to do whatever I ask...

“Always eager to gain my approval...”

She smiles wickedly as an idea pops into her head.

“And you are desperately in love with me.”

Armbrister’s body convulses.

“Jackpot!” Sapphire blurts out.

“Madly in love...

“Feel your heart...

“So filled with for me...

“You fear it will burst...

“So in love...

“Never felt this way before...

“Only I make you feel this way...

“In love...

“All the emotional...

“And physical sensations of love...

“In your heart...

“In your minds...

“All throughout your body...

“You love me...

“And you need to please me...

“You love me...

“And you need to please me...

“You love me...

“And you need to please me...

“You love me...

“And you need to please me...

“Sealing my suggestions with a finger snap...

“Ten times stronger.” She snaps her fingers.

“A hundred times stronger.” She snaps her fingers.

“A thousand times stronger.” She snaps her fingers.

“My love spell is a thousand times stronger than it was a moment ago...

“My love spell is a thousand times stronger than it was a moment ago...

“My love spell is a thousand times stronger than it was a moment ago...

“And now, my besotted, love struck, addicted, good boy, I’m going to wake you up...

“You will feel a love for me you can’t contain...

“You will be desperate to please me...

“Desperate to gain my favor...

“You will feel a love for me you can’t contain...

“You will be desperate to please me...

“Desperate to gain my favor...

“One... Two... Three... Wide awake!” She snaps her fingers.

Armbrister’s eyes flutter open. He looks at Sapphire with undying devotion. “Sapphire, I adore you. I love you.”

She laughs. “Of course you do. But Sapphire is a little informal, don’t you think? My full title is Her Royal Highness Princess Sapphire Rain.”

Armbrister nods. “Your Royal Highness Princess Sapphire Rain, I love and adore you.”

A look of mock confusion crosses her face. “I don’t think sitting beside me is your proper place.” She extends a slim finger and points to the floor.

Armbrister kneels on the carpet.

“Good boy,” Sapphire says. “How does it feel to be at my feet?”

“Wonderful,” Armbrister says.

“And you are grateful for this privilege?”

“Yes, grateful.” Armbrister’s heart pounds.

“And how will you show your gratitude to me?”

Armbrister is silent. What does she want from him?

“I’m waiting.” Sapphire taps her foot impatiently.

What can he offer her? “Whatever you want.” Armbrister swallows hard at the realization that he means what he says.

“Yes,” Sapphire agrees. “Whatever I want.” She reaches for her tiny purse and pulls out a thick sheaf of papers.

His mind is dulled, but still the sight is odd. He looks curiously at her. “How?”

Sapphire shrugs. “The purse is larger on the inside.”

He doesn’t understand, but nods. He accepts her explanation, believes everything she says.

“Up.” She lifts her free hand. “Time for business.”

Armbrister stands. Sapphire leads him to the desk, where she spreads out the papers. His eyes flick over the large print at the top: Transfer of Copyright, Assignment of Royalties, Irrevocable Trust, etc.

“I don’t understand,” he says.

“I think you do.” Sapphire whispers in his ear, her hot breath on his cheek. She traces a finger across his cheek. “Every word you write, every word you have written? Mine. Author advances? Movie rights? Foreign distribution? All mine. You work for me now.” Sapphire giggles with uncontainable glee. “Doesn’t that sound marvelous?”

Armbrister’s body shakes. All the years of hard work, pounding away at a keyboard. It’s finally paid off. He can live the life of luxury he always dreamed. And he’s giving it away. Giving it to her. Yes, it feels good. He wants her to have it. She deserves it.

“Yes, Sapphire. I want you to have it all.”

“Good boy. Sign the papers, and make it official.” She snaps her fingers.

Armbrister doesn’t read the documents, scribbling his signature wherever there’s a yellow-highlight. When he’s signed the last paper, Sapphire gathers them up. Somehow, she folds the stack into her tiny purse. She stands, pointing to the floor, and Armbrister slips to his knees.

“Thanks so much, pet. It’s been a pleasure doing business with you.” She starts for the door.

“Don’t go.” Armbrister looks up at her with pleading eyes. “Sapphire, I love you. I adore you. I’ll do whatever you want.”

She smiles smugly. “I know all that. And right now, I want you writing another best-seller. And while you do, always remember you’re working for me.”

“Please stay.” Tears stream down Armbrister’s cheeks.

Sapphire’s laughter fills the room, gnawing at his soul. “Why should I? I have everything I want from you.” She checks her watch, a silver Cartier Panthere De Cartiernsert. “And John Grisham is having a signing at Books-A-Million in an hour. I’ve been dying to add him to my collection for the longest time.”

Sapphire glides across the room, Armbrister’s eyes locked onto her boots. She pauses at the door. He lifts his gaze to her lovely face. She winks. His head spins. She disappears into the hall. The door closes.

Armbrister is gasping, fighting the ache in his empty heart. He needs Sapphire. Needs her control, her beauty, her voice.

He returns to the laptop. He will write his best book yet. That will get her to come back.

He needs her to come back.

THE END