The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

AMNESIAC

Chapter Eighteen — The End of Kate

Decker slid the envelope across the table. “Well?”

“Jesus, Decker. Who uses cash these days? Are you trapped in 1995 or something? You might want to try using a computer now and then.” The large man sighed loudly. “But to answer your question, no one’s heard from Alice in a long time. She’s dropped off the radar entirely. The best guess anyone has is that she’s retired and living somewhere in the Balkans. That raid was apparently her last job.”

“But she’s alive?”

“Probably. Look, Decker, if she still wanted you dead, you’d be dead. You want my opinion? She kicked you in the balls on her way out the retirement door. Like a kid blowing up the school toilets on his graduation day. She could be anywhere now. With all of the money she made in Germany, she could afford to live on the Moon. She’s not going to risk exposing herself by attacking you. You’re—and pardon me for saying so, Decker—but you’re too small time for that now.”

“I will find her one of these days, Frank.”

Frank rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Sure. Here’s the details on the other one.” He dropped a manilla folder onto the table. “Honestly, you could have just Googled this one. She didn’t even change her name.”

Decker leafed through the paperwork. “Freeport?”

“Sometimes moving cross-country is the best way to get a brand new start in life. Got her home address, phone number, work details, general schedule… I even threw in a few photos free of charge. She’s cute. Works out a lot.”

“Thanks, Frank.”

“No worries. I have some free time coming up soon. Let me know if you have any other hot women you’d like me to chase down.”

“I wish I did.” Decker tapped the photo in his hand. “This one’s going to fix all of that.”

* * *

“Come on, Kate, let that tiger out of the cage.” Decker patted the edge of the bed. “You’re finally remembering who you really are. Did you know that I never had to tell you how to kill any of your targets? I just pointed you in their direction and let you go.”

“I’m not your little wind-up toy anymore, Trenchy,” she said. “James is right. I’m not a killer. Not anymore. Even Mulroney had to hypnotize me into it. Did you think about that? He could have just handed me a gun and sent me here to save James from you, but he knew I’d turn him down. He had to force me to kill.”

A shout came from the stairs. Decker rose from the bed and peered into the hallway. “Is everything all right, Nikki?”

“Yes, sir. He won’t be a problem again.”

“Very good, Nikki.”

“So tell me why, Decker.” Kate’s face was once of genuine curiosity. Her voice was calm, deliberate, tinged with regret and sadness. “Why this? Why all of this? Why me? Before we go, before you do whatever you’re going to do to me, you at least owe me that.”

“Oh, Kate.” Decker returned to his spot on the bed. “Let me tell you a little story about a sad, lonely little girl who got sucked into a cult. She’s a quiet girl, the kind cults love, especially the ones who aren’t above doing a little mind-bending to get what they want. But she’s not just a little sex slut, this one. She’s smart, and skilled, and special, and now her brain is wired to crave obedience. So when the idiot who runs the cult gets careless, and the FBI kicks in his front door, I was there to scoop you up. I saw that potential in you from the beginning.”

“You could have asked us. ‘Hey, Kate, would you like to be a secret agent? How about you, Nikki?’ Instead you stole us, and our lives, and our free will. Maybe I would have said yes to you.”

“Heh,” he scoffed, as if the idea was ridiculous. “You did eventually say yes, didn’t you? I’ll tell you a secret. I lied to James just now. You fought like hell. Against the machines, and the deprivation tanks, and the drugs. Then one day you finally broke, and then you were mine. You were perfect. Obedient, skilled, willing to kill anyone I wanted and without any conscience problems afterwards. Claire’s going to be a great fuck, and Nikki can point a gun when she needs to, but you, Kate. You were my one and only. Contract killers are rare enough these days. Sleeper agents who can kill? I had clients lined up around the block for your services.”

“And then something happened. There was blood. Fighting. I remember it, a little. You blew it.”

“I blew it? Kate, you blew it. You got my men killed, got my funding cut, and then you ran all the way out here to Freeport to spend your days managing accounts and screwing random dipshits. And you got away with it, at least until you got that very special phone call from me with those very special words. After that, you were mine again.”

She leaned back against the bedpost. “And then you made me marry James.”

“I thought it would make the perfect cover for you. Nice stable home, unsuspecting husband, boring little suburban life. I bet you post things on Instagram. Do you post things on Instagram? You look like you do. Anyway, it was all fine until someone dropped you on the floor and broke you. Then again, who knows, Kate? Maybe this is all a dream, too. Maybe you really are just plain old Kate Pendleton, a budding housewife with an overactive imagination. Maybe you’re still in a coma from that fall you took. Maybe you’re deep in trance, locked inside my brainwashing machine, and this is all part of your programming. Or maybe Doctor Mulroney wasn’t lying about that brain tumor after all, and it’s starting to chew through some of the cords? You don’t know. You’ll never know, will you? That, pretty little Kate, is the one and only thing you can be sure of.”

“No,” she growled. “There’s another.”

Before she could finish, they were interrupted by the unmistakeable sound of a woman’s terrified scream.

* * *

“Decker, no. He doesn’t mean it. Decker, please. If you kill him…”

“My problems go away? Thank you, Kate. I always value your insight into situations like this. Should I kill you, James, or should Nikki have the honor?”

“Okay,” Claire whispered. Together with Jane, she’d managed to get the back door unlocked and the two of them into the house without being detected. The ground floor was empty. All of the action appeared to be taking place upstairs. “There’s two of them. That girl from the park and some other guy. Listen to me, Jane. You’re going to be my backup. Listen to me.”

“Yes, Claire. I’m listening.”

“Good. When I tell you, you’re going to go out the back door and circle back to the front of the house. Then—“

“Decker, NO. Do you want to make this easy or hard? Think about it. If you shoot James—“

Claire looked up at the ceiling, and frowned. Things were getting bad up there. She had to act fast. But Jane was only hypnotized. She wasn’t a wonderful brainwashed slavegirl, not yet. She wouldn’t just rescue Claire on demand, much less actually fight or kill someone if she needed to. She’d just snap out of her trance and run back home. No. There had to be a better way.

“Decker, listen to me. Put. The gun. Down.”

She thought about options. Hypnotists got people to do weird things, right? They just had to trick people into thinking that they were freezing cold, or were naked, or had bugs on their skin. Then people would react to that as if it were real. As if it were real…

“I want you to repeat after me, Kate. I want you to say ‘I will go with Decker—“

Claire crouched right next to Jane. She could hear the brunette’s calm, even breaths. The waitress was as deep in trance as she was going to get. Claire hoped that it would be deep enough. “Jane, listen to me. Once you get outside, you’re going to watch the front door…”

* * *

Jane stared at the front door, hardly noticing the chill that came with the setting sun and the strengthening wind. She’d brought along her coat when she stepped out into the alley behind Franklin’s for a smoke, and besides, nothing mattered but the front door. She would watch the front door. She would wait for Claire. Claire would give her the signal that would indicate that everything was okay, and that they were all safe. She would watch the front door until then.

Finally, the door opened. The checklist in Jane’s mind recorded the event dutifully, and moved on to the next command. Three figures emerged from the house. A woman, and a man, and Claire. The man was saying something, but from Jane’s position behind the Nissan, she couldn’t make it out. Her brain reminded her that it didn’t matter, anyway. All that mattered was Claire, and Claire’s all-important signal. She had her arm wrapped around the man’s, and was pulling him towards the street. The blonde behind them walked purposefully towards the car. She had a gun in her hand.

“Five,” said Jane. “Four. Three.”

Claire paused to give the man a deep kiss on the lips. He struggled and pulled away, tripping and falling to his feet. Claire laughed and dropped to her knees to help him up. She still did not give the signal.

“Two. One.”

The brunette’s eyes closed. The checklist in her mind moved on to the next box, and her eyes opened again. “Holy fuck!” Her shout was strangled by the fear rising in he throat, and the curse barely escaped her lips.

The man was struggling to his feet, and Claire was helping him up. They were seemingly unaware of the holy fuck holy fuck holy FUCK WHAT IS THAT six-foot THING that was approaching them from behind. Jane stared at it in shock. Tall, slimy, black eyes and some kind of claw-like appendage that kept clicking and clacking, like a lobster claw. About to chop the two humans in half. Claire was giggling and laughing and not paying attention, like one of those girls in the horror movies. She was going to get killed!

Jane looked down, and realized that she was holding an enormous can of bug spray in her right hand. Of course! She was lucky that she’d brought it along with her. If she could get close enough, she could kill it before it could kill Claire. It had its back turned to her. It was only a foot or two away from the humans. The claw-thing clacked viciously, and the little antennae on top of its head quivered with excitement.

It was now or never. She took deep breath, readied the bug spray, and sprinted for the front lawn.

* * *

As deep as she was, lost beneath layers of hypnosis and brainwashing, Nikki didn’t think about how many times she’d been asked to point a gun at James, or Kate, or Claire. Or anyone else, for that matter. What troubled her even in her trance, however, was deciding the line between resisting and stumbling. James was doing a bit of both, and the hypnotized Claire only made things worse—she kept trying to kiss James, and although that didn’t seem to count as resisting either, it was making the simple trek from bedroom to car far longer than it needed to be. Nikki didn’t feel the pressure of time, but she did feel the compulsion to obey without question, and her prisoners were making Decker’s orders difficult to carry out. Her programming decided that James, sitting on the ground like he was, merited a fresh warning. She raised her gun.

Suddenly, there was a high-pitched scream from behind her. She spun around, only to catch the brunt of Jane’s mace. The spray washed over her like acid, burning her eyes and causing them to slam shut. Blinded, she fired the gun wildly, hoping to hit whatever was coming at her. I will kill anyone who tries to interfere.

More screams. The sound of shattering glass and the softer thlunk of bullets hitting metal. A car alarm, loud and close. Still more screaming, more shrill this time. She fired twice more as she struggled to her feet. Blinking, trying to clear her eyes, desperate to see again so that she could carry out her orders. The screaming and yelling surrounded her now.

A heavy, crushing weight came down against the back of her head. The fuzzy blindness gave way to a brief shower of bright stars, then blackness, as she dropped bonelessly onto the front lawn.

Claire stood above Nikki’s prone body like a victorious heavyweight boxer. She let the paving stone in her hand fall to the ground. “Try to hypnotize me again, you fucking bitch.”

* * *

The police radio crackled to life.

“Two adam four.”

“Two adam four, Taft and Fulton.”

“422 Franklin with a 10-71 outside the residence. 422 Franklin.”

“Two adam four, copy. Already en route.”

“Four twenty two is our suspect’s address, Joe.”

“I know, I know.”

* * *

Decker was on his feet the instant the screaming began, his gloating to Kate already forgotten. “What the fuck is going on out—“

In his haste, he passed directly in front of Kate, and she swung her feet into the air just in time to catch him at the knees. He tumbled forward, striking his head against the open bedroom door. She managed to stifle a happy yelp and let herself go limp, worming her body free of the loosened bed sheets. In the corner, Decker was crawling to his feet.

For outside came the sound of gunshots, three in quick succession. More screaming followed. Kate squeezed her eyes shut and pulled her head free of the bed sheet, feeling her body slide gloriously, amazingly, to the bedroom floor and freedom.

Decker was standing now, reaching for his gun. “You fucking goddamn—“

“KATE!” James, calling from the first floor. “KATE!”

The sound was enough to make Decker turn away for a moment, enough time for Kate to reach her feet and steamroll directly into him. Her hands were still bound by the plastic tie, but she could still use her shoulders, and she aimed her left one directly at Decker’s chin. They crashed together against the bedroom door. It groaned against its hinges before springing back, knocking them both to the carpet in a pile of tangled limbs.

Two more shots rang out. More screaming. She could hear James pounding up the stairs. Half of Decker was on top of her, the other beneath her. Something—a fist, or a knee—jammed against her ribs, and she cried out. Her opponent was yelling, cursing, struggling, tied up in his own trench coat.Trying to kill me. The gun was still somewhere in the room.

She lashed out and connected with flesh. There was a satisfying, angry growl in response, and she managed to land a glancing second blow. Then Decker was crawling away from her, on his hands and knees. She pulled herself to her feet, and froze. Decker was headed for the gun, which was only a foot away from him. He was still between her and the bedroom door.

Another yell, and a blur of blue and brown, and suddenly James was in the room, kicking Decker in the stomach. “You stay away from! My! Wife!”

Kate took a deep breath, and raised her arms above her head, bringing them down against her hips. Sharp, searing pain ripped through her wrists and arms, and she screamed. The broken plastic tie dropped to the ground, and she briefly stared at it in wonder. Holy shit, that actually worked! Thanks, Internet!

Below her, the two men continued to battle. Decker, on his back, caught James’s incoming kick with his hands and savagely twisted the shoe sideways, causing the younger man to collapse to the floor with a painful shout. Decker slugged him twice, once in the face and another in the ribs, until James was immobilized and moaning.

The gun Decker thought. It was no longer where it had been, probably knocked away during the scuffle with James. Bewildered, he frantically scanned the ground in front of him for any sign of it. It was the only way to-

“Freeze,” said Kate. “Master.”

* * *

“Oh shit, Jane! Are you okay?” Claire rushed to the side of the VW. The waitress was huddled against it, staring at Nikki’s prone form and shaking violently.

“What… what was that? Where am I? What’s going onnnnn,” she whimpered. “Where am I? What’s happening right now?”

“Hey,” said Claire. She reached out to touch Jane, but the brunette shook her head and recoiled.

“What… is that? What was that? Is she okay? Is she dead? Oh my God is she dead?”

“She’s just knocked out. She’ll be fine. Look, my name is Claire. We got kidnapped. They fed you some drugs, so you’re probably gonna feel a little weird and trippy for a bit. Are you hurt? Jane. JANE. Are you hurt?”

“N…no.”

“Good. I’m going to go into the house real quick and make sure my miss—friend’s okay. You sit here. The cops are on their way.”

“No! Don’t leave me!” Jane’s face was full of panic and fear. “Don’t! They’ll… there could be more, please, don’t leave me!”

“Girl. Listen. You’re a magnet, okay? You just stay stuck to this car door until I get back. Nothing is going to hurt you, I promise. Can you stay put for me?”

Jane nodded. She was crying now. She dutifully waited by the side of the VW as Claire cautiously ventured into the house.

* * *

“Kate, you’re bleeding.”

She looked down at her wrists. The skin was missing in patches from where the plastic tie had torn it away, and blood dripped onto the carpet. An odd thought popped into her head. Will insurance cover bloody carpets? Maybe?

“Kate, hun, are you okay?” James was standing next to her. His hands were still bound, and he leaned against her. His breath was ragged and harsh. “I think he cracked one of my ribs. You’re… hey, hun, talk to me. Kate.”

The gun fit nicely in her hands. It felt good to hold. Powerful. Correct. Hints of memories flashed through the back of her mind.

Azure… azure…
Bitte, nein, töte mich nicht…
Sweetcheeks, put that gun down before you hurt someone…
Ella tiene un arma! Ayúdeme!

“Do it, Kate,” said Decker. He was still on the ground, motionless, looking up at her with cold eyes. “It’s what you were made to do.”

She narrowed her eyes. The muzzle was only a few feet from Decker’s head. Her finger curled around the trigger. James was saying something to her. Decker was saying something to her. She ignored them both, hearing only the voices in her own head.

Endless spirals, turning and turning and turning. She couldn’t look away. “Listen and obey,” she said softly. “Listen and obey. Listen and obey.”

Ault stumbled backwards in a blind panic. She had him cornered. She advanced forward, switchblade in hand.

“Whaddya say, Tim? Care to try your luck at the old Russian… oh wait, this isn’t a revolver. It’s either loaded or it’s not. Oh well! Good luck, Timmy.”

“Hey hun, guess what? I got your watch fixed. It’s in the bag on the kitchen counter.”

“Aw, James, you rock!” She pulled a black plastic box from the bag and flipped the lid open. Instead of a watch, she found a beautiful ring nestled inside. Diamonds sparkled back at her. She gasped in surprise.

“Kate Thomas, will you marry me?”

She held the gun steady, and took a deep breath. “Let me tell you a story, you son of a bitch. It’s about a girl who lost her freedom, who lost her mind, who lost herself. She lost everything. It’s about a girl who is nothing but an empty, hollowed-out shell. She hates being an empty shell. It’s all she can do to keep that anger and rage below the surface, hidden behind sweet, pretty Kate. My whole time on Grant Street, before you stole me again? Nothing but rage, and I had no idea where it came from. Turns out that was all your doing, too.”

“And then one day she finds a reason not to hate the entire world. The voices tell her to fall in love with him, command her to fall in love with him. But what if… what if she really did? She didn’t plan on that. Nobody did. It just happened.”

Decker groaned.

“SHUT IT. Is this Kate made up? Not anymore. Is this Kate dreaming? You bet your ass, Trenchy. Pretty little Kate Pendleton? The best thing that’s ever happened to me. The thing that saved me. What was that you said earlier about irony? Here’s an ironic story. You created the thing I needed to free myself from you. The thing I’d been looking for my whole fucked-up life. You created ME.”

“Kate!” Claire’s voice echoed up through the entry hall. “You okay up there?”

“I’m on it!” she yelled back. “Where’s Nikki?”

“Out cold! Bitch tried to kill me and Jane. One hit, down and out!”

Kate paused. “Is she alive?”

“Yes! I… okay, I’ll double check. But YES, obviously.”

“Then call the cops!”

“Are you kidding?” Claire sounded incredulous. “Who didn’t hear that shit go down?”

“Claire!”

“Doing it! Lemme find my bag!”

James toppled onto the bed. “Have her call an ambulance, too. I think he really broke something. I feel… ugh. I feel like I just fell down the stairs.” His eyes closed. “Oh, fuck that hurts.”

Kate patted his leg. “It’s okay, James. Just lie down. I’ll get… Claire! Call an ambulance!”

“Onnnn it!”

“Kate,” said Decker. She looked down at him as if she’d momentarily forgotten that he even existed. The look of surprise on her face made Decker grin. “Aw, just look at you. The apprentice has become the master.”

“Shut it, Trenchy. I’m sick of listening to you. We all are.”

“Jane… is that the girl from the coffee shop that you hypnotized? Another little minion, just like Claire. It’s fun having little brainwashed slaves at your beck and call, isn’t it? So easy to just tell them what to do.”

“Fuck you. I’m not a monster like you. I’m going to free all of them once this is over.”

He got a laugh out of that, too. “That’s what everyone says at first. Funny thing. The freeing part never seems to happen.”

* * *

“Hey, Jane!” Claire was outside again, covering the length of the front lawn and out to the street in a matter of seconds. She paused for a moment to check on Nikki, who was just starting to stir. Jane was still huddled against the VW. “Cops are on their way. Should be here in a minute or two. We’re saved!”

The brunette smiled weakly. She was still trembling. “Who… who are these people? Why did they kidnap us? I don’t understand. I’m just… I’m just a nobody. Why?”

Claire was no longer hypnotized, but like Nikki, she was still a brainwashed slavegirl. Kate had made certain of that. The programming was clear. She had to protect Kate from harm. She had to make sure that Jane helped her, and helped Kate. There was only one way to do that. She reached into her handbag and found the lighter.

“Jane. Look at this.” Four flicks of the lighter, the last producing a flame. The brunette gasped and slumped forward.

“Deeper and deeper, Jane. Hearing only my voice.”

“Yes, Claire.”

“You’re going to forget everything that happened just now. Listen to me, and remember. Listen to me, and forget.”

* * *

“I’m not your Kate any more, Trenchy. Like I told Tim, that old Kate… she’s dead now. She died the second she fell off of that ladder. Everything you think you know about me is wrong.”

“I think I know a lot about you, Kate. You turned your best friend into a fucktoy for your husband—“

“Because you were going to kill us!”

“—and you’re never going to turn her back into what she was. Because it’s too easy to leave her that way, ready to make her do whatever unpleasant things you need to have done. Like make her come here and try to attack me, to defend you. Was that her acting of her own free will? No?”

Kate shook her head.

“I didn’t think so. So I’m going to leave you with your little harem, and I’m going to walk out of here before the police arrive. I’ll see you around, Kate.”

“Don’t.” She held up the gun. “Don’t move.”

Decker gave her a mocking, skeptical glance. “You said it yourself, New Kate. You’re not a killer anymore. Prove me wrong. Prove yourself wrong. Either way, I win. Goodbye. Hmph. For now, anyway.” He rose to his feet, eyes glued to the muzzle of Kate’s gun.

“I said don’t… fuck. Fuck you, Trenchy.”

With a final, parting smile, Decker turned and walked out of the room. Kate followed him with the pistol, but her fingers refused to act. Then he was gone.

On the bed, James groaned. “I should have let you kill him.”

Kate put the gun on the floor, exchanging it for the pillow that Decker had forced Claire to sit on. She tucked the pillow under her husband’s head. “No, you did the right thing. And you saved me all over again. Thank you for believing me. For believing in me.” She kissed him on the forehead, and again fully on the lips. They lingered like that for an eternal moment, before James pulled away in pain.

“Ugh. I… ow, ow.” He tried to climb off the bed. “Decker’s going… fuck, ow, my ankle too! Oh Christ, that hurts. Kate, he’s getting away!” He fell back onto the covers, feeling defeated. In the distance, he could hear sirens.

“The cops will get him. He won’t get away forever. But we got away. I got away. That’s all I care about right now. That, and you.” She placed her hand on his face, and kissed him again.

He began to kiss her in return, then stopped. “What about Claire?”

She jumped up. “Oh shit, you’re right!”

* * *

Decker made his way down the stairs. He could hear the sirens. The police would be arriving soon. He weighed his options. The back door allowed for a quiet exit, passing through back yards and alleys until he was outside of the police cordon. But it left him without a car, without Nikki, without everything. The front door offered a direct route to the BMW and a better escape. If he was lucky, he could take Nikki with him. It would let him start over again, with just one agent, until he was able to get back on his feet again. He always did. He’d never been caught, and he’d never be caught. That was a certainty. And then Kate would pay. Finally, she would pay. That was a certainty, too.

He opened the front door.

Fuck.

There were two detectives in the yard. One was kneeling beside the fallen Nikki. The other was standing next an unmarked police cruiser, talking to Claire and a brunette woman. The sirens were much closer now.

“Hands in the air where I can see them! Don’t move!” The kneeling detective was on his feet and headed straight for the front door, weapon in hand. His partner was following closely behind. The two women quickly slipped behind the police cruiser. Nikki remained on the ground.

Decker backed into the entry hall. Blue and red lights filled the ground floor as a second police cruiser arrived on the scene. The thump thump of car doors followed.

“Hands in the air! NOW!” The two detectives were at the front door.

“I’m with the FBI,” Decker lied.

The detective was unimpressed. “Hands in the air, and get down. On. The. GROUND.”

Decker stepped backwards. A flash of auburn hair caught his attention, and he looked up to see Kate watching him from the top of the stairs.

The second detective was now inside as well. “You, upstairs! Stay where you are!”

Decker took another step back.

“Last warning! Hands in the air!”

Decker looked up at Kate again. “You always ruin everything, Kate. Always.”

He turned again to the detective. He slid his hands inside the pockets of his trench coat, and charged forward.

Two loud bangs, then a third, and he tumbled into the blackness of eternity.

To be concluded…