The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Why Did Freud Abandon Hypnotism, Anyway?

Chapter 4

I’m very unclear about what happens next. I hear commotion, shoes running down the corridor, and then male voices shouting. In my trance, I feel disconnected, unconcerned.

I feel arms lift me, and then I think I am carried outside. It is hard to say; my entranced body feels both warm and chilly, and my mind is disconnected from my surroundings. I do not hear Professor Talgarth’s rich English accent. My thoughts wander without any concern in the slightest.

Gradually, I become aware that I am inside again, and sitting in a wooden chair. My senses are slowly returning. I can’t move my arms or legs, but I can flex my fingers, just a little.

I hear men’s voices. And then… yes, I distinctly hear Betty. She is explaining something. I can’t tell what. My mind is still distracted, uncaring.

But gradually my thoughts become unfrozen. I feel my arms and legs. I wiggle my toes, and then I can move all my limbs. I blink, and bright light stabs my eyes. It hurts.

Where am I…? I look about. I am sitting in Headmaster Regan’s office, a well-decorated space lined with crammed bookcases and a large hearth. A massive desk coupled with a massive globe dominates the center of the room. I am sitting off to one side, in a plain chair that I doubt was originally placed in this room. My bottom hurts.

In the next room, I hear voices. Betty is saying, “…and he put her right under! In front of all of us! Honest, Headmaster!”

“I see,” Headmaster Regan says curtly. “Thank you, Miss Stone. You may go.”

“But Professor has been hypnotizing Sally—” Betty protests.

“You may go,” repeats the headmaster, and his voice does not suggest he is amused.

I hear Betty sigh, and then depart. The outer door shuts.

“Christsakes,” Headmaster Regan growls. “What do you think, Harry?”

“It seems pretty cut-and-dry, Jim,” a second man says. I think this is Dr. Connors, the school’s psychologist.

“Jesus Christ!” Headmaster Regan explodes. I jump a little. I’ve rarely heard adults use such blasphemous language.

“What was Allister Talgarth thinking?” the headmaster fumes. “When I hired him away from his Manhattan practice, I heard rumors that he… improperly associated with his lady patients. But this?”

“New York women have suspicious husbands,” Dr. Connors theorized. “A hypnotist determined to seduce his lady patients would not be successful at such a, ahem, carnal enterprise for long. But a hypnotist determined to seduce impressionable Wendell Hallows girls… they are much more easily picked off.”

“Indeed,” Headmaster Regan says.

There was a heavy silence. I could hear my own heart beating.

“So what do we do?” the headmaster asked.

“I’m not sure,” Dr. Connors admits. “Allister Talgarth must be let go immediately. I can teach his classes.”

“That is obvious.” I hear a cork being pulled, and then the clinking of glasses. “Brandy?”

“Yes, a stiff one, please,” Dr. Connors says.

“Alright, what else?” asks Headmaster Regan.

“That Miss Betty Stone might be a problem,” muses Dr. Connors. “She writes for the student paper. She’ll want to write about this. Plus, a whole classroom saw Miss Gardner’s hysterical antics, Jim. That’s not so easily explained.”

“Goddamnit,” growls the headmaster. I hear him gulp and set down his glass.

“I’ll talk to Miss Stone,” Dr. Connors says quickly. “I’ll explain that… I don’t know… Miss Gardner was under a tremendous amount of stress and her feminine constitution simply couldn’t handle it.”

“Make sure,” Headmaster Regan rumbles, “that Miss Stone never writes about this incident in that silly student paper. There must be no traceable record of this, Harry.”

“Indeed,” Dr. Connors agrees.

Another pause. I fidget slightly, wondering when I can get out of here.

Headmaster Regan spoke next, his voice heavy. “That just leaves Miss Gardner,” he lamented. “What can we do? The instant her parents find out about this…” He gulps again. “We might have to expel her.”

My heart drops into my shoes. EXPEL ME?!?

“What?” Dr. Connors exclaims. “Why?”

“Harry, we can’t have a student on campus who had sexual relations with the faculty!” Headmaster Regan thunders. “Think of all she might tell her friends! Do you want all our girls corrupted and turned into crazed harlots?” He huffs. ”Best to drum up an indecency charge and kick her out. Cauterize the wound.”

I feel sick to my stomach. I’M TO BE EXPELLED FOR INDECENCY??? My father will disown me! My parents’ shame burns me even before anything has happened.

Somehow, I have to think of a way out of this mess. My mind desperately races.

“Hmm,” Dr. Connors remarks. “What if… If hypnotism got us into this mess, perhaps hypnotism can get us out? I have an idea.”

“Eh?” Headmaster Regan asks.

Dr. Connors sounds earnest. “Let me try something,” he says.

There’s a pause.

The headmaster sighs. “Fine,” he says. “It had better work. Or I will expel Miss Gardner this afternoon.”

I hear the men approach the door.

My mind races. If Headmaster Regan realized I’ve overheard that conversation, I’ll be expelled for sure. Better to play opossum.

I quickly arrange my body as if I am still in a trance. Then I pretend to be waking just as the two men enter.

Its been some time since I’ve seen either Headmaster Regan or Dr. Connors. The headmaster is a towering figure, in his sixties with no hair to speak of and a permanent frown etched into his face. I have a hard time imagining that he was ever a child. Dr. Connors is the fattest person I have ever seen. Although he looks silly in that enormous moustache and spectacles, he has a kind face.

When he sees me, Dr. Connors breaks out into an unconvincing smile.

“Well, hello there, Miss Gardner,” he says. From his tone of voice, you would think I was five years old.

“Why, hello,” I say, and then remember that I’m just supposed to be waking up. “Where am I?” I ask, faking a confused expression.

“You’re safe now,” Dr. Connors says, not really answering my question. He stands before me and leans forward. I smell the brandy.

“How do you feel?” the doctor asks.

“Fine,” I reply.

“What’s the last thing you remember?” he queries.

“Oh…” I say, playing dumb. “I remember feeling mighty confused about Professor Talgarth. Where is he?”

Headmaster Regan and Dr. Connors exchange dark glances.

“Don’t you worry your little head about that,” Dr. Connors says. “Look, there’s something I want to show you.”

He fumbles in his jacket pocket and draws out and unclips a pocket watch. “You see?” he asks, as if I’ve lived such a sheltered life that I’ve never seen such a contraption before.

“Its very nice,” I offer.

“Yes,” Dr. Connors agrees, and begins swinging it before my eyes. “Watch the watch, Miss Gardner. Watch the watch…”

Alarm courses through me. The last thing I want in the world is for another adult man to hypnotize me. I tense up in the chair and pull back as much as I can.

“Oh, there’s nothing to be afraid of, my dear,” coos Dr. Connors. “Just watch the watch and relax…. Relax…”

There’s something fake and unconvincing about Dr. Connors’ voice. When Professor Talgarth mesmerized me, his voice was silken, commanding, and inescapable. It slithered into my mind and lulled me under his power. Dr. Connor’s voice is shaky and sing-song. He sounds more like he is reciting a lullaby. I feel none of the magnetic pull that I felt from Professor Talgarth.

In a flash, of inspiration, I see Dr. Connor’s plan. All I need to do is play along… and not get hypnotized.

Inside my shoes, I scrunch up my toes until they hurt. That should keep me from falling asleep.

“You are watching the watch…” Dr. Connors intones. “You feel relaxed… You feel sleepy…”

And so, I pretend to fall asleep. Having been actually hypnotized, it is pretty easy to fake it now. I let my face go slack, then my eyes shut down.

“…you feel relaxed…” Dr. Connors blabbers on. “…you feel sleepy…”

I lower my shoulders and drop my head downwards.

One last time, Dr. Connors tells me, “…you feel sleepy…” Then he grunts and stand upright, putting away his watch.

“There,” he says proudly to Headmaster Regan. “She’s asleep. She’ll be responsive to me now.”

I hear the headmaster approach and lean over me. “Are you sure?” he asks skeptically.

While I’ll allowed my body to relax, I’ve been very careful. My mind is clear and my thoughts my own. This is nothing like Professor Talgarth’s mesmerism. Dr. Connors may believe he is a good hypnotist, but he hasn’t a hundredth of the talent of the psychology professor.

All I have to do now is fake this trance. If I’m right, I’ll be off scott-free.

“Oh, of course Miss Gardner is under hypnosis,” Dr. Connors promises. “No doubt Professor Talgarth picked her because she was an excellent and weak-willed subject. She goes into hypnosis with no resistance at all.” He pauses. “Her husband will be a very lucky man, if he can learn this.”

“Harry!” snaps Headmaster Regan. “Keep your mind on the tasks at hand.”

Dr. Connor raises his voice. He half-yells, “Miss Gardner, can you hear me?”

Time to play the part. As softly as I dare, I reply: “…yes…”

“Very good,” Dr. Connors compliments me. “Miss Gardner, you will respond to my every suggestion, do you understand?”

Again, I murmur, “…yes…”

“Find out what happened,” Headmaster orders.

“When I snap my fingers,” Dr. Connors tells me, “you will tell me everything that you and Professor Talgarth did while you were alone.”

He snaps.

Speaking in a neutral tone, I tell both men how I was compelled to visit the Sleepy Hollow Motel. I go into some details about taking off all my clothes. It is incredibly embarrassing to speak about this out loud, but what choice do I have? Inside, I steal myself and force the words out.

If the two men detect that I’m really awake, they make no reaction.

Then I describe how I was forced to open the professor’s trousers. I am about to talk about touching his penis when the headmaster erupts with indignation.

“Goddamnit!” he growls, almost making me jump. “Such depravity!” Sounding like he is frothing at the mouth, he barks at Dr. Connors, “I’ve heard enough! Make her stop! Make her forget.”

“Stop talking, Miss Gardner,” Dr. Connors says quickly, and I am grateful to fall silent.

The psychologist leans close. “Listen to me,” he instructs. “When you awaken, you will remember nothing. You will remember nothing about Professor Talgarth. You will remember nothing about having sex. In fact, you will remain a chaste young woman who will only ever, ever have sexual intercourse with her husband on her wedding night. You remember nothing. Do you understand?”

I’m a little taken aback by the good doctor’s attempt to program the rest of my sex life, but who cares? I’m not hypnotized. All I have to do is tell him what he wants.

“Yes,” I respond in my monotone.

“You see, Jim?” Dr. Connors says, sounding pleased with himself. “Damage averted.”

“Hmmgh,” Headmaster Regan replies.

Dr. Connors snaps his fingers loudly in my face, crying, “Wake up, Miss Gardner! Wake up!”

How annoying. Nonetheless, I blink, pretending to rouse.

“Where am I?” I say, hoping I sound very dumb. “What is happening?”

Dr. Connors looks down at me. “You were asleep, my dear. Tell me, what is the last thing you remember?”

I screw up my face, pretending to be lost in thought. “I was going to Intro Psychology,” I lie. “And now… I’m here.” I fake concern. “Headmaster Regan, am I in trouble?”

The headmaster scowls down at me, but then shrugs and rolls his eyes slightly.

“No, Miss Gardner,” he drawls. “Go on, go back to class.”

* * *

I am a minor celebrity for the rest of the week. The girls are talking about my grand scene in Professor Talgarth’s class earlier. Supposedly, the grapevine reports, I had some sort of weird reaction to my hypnosis from earlier in the week. I went momentarily crazy, but the episode passed.

Oh, but the bigger scandal involves Professor Talgarth. It seems he was abruptly forced from his position for “improper conduct.” The student body is convinced that he has an illicit affair with someone. Consensus is that his lover was Ms. Hanover, our fitness instructor. And Mrs. Talgarth—who knew the professor was married?—is furious and looking at returning to England.

After a few days, my life has settled back to something feeling like normal. Introductory Psychology, now taught by Dr. Connors, is duller than the History of Dirt, but perhaps that’s just as well. Lavender, Joan, and I have decided to join the Wendell Hallow Chess Club… although we are terrible.

I can tell Betty is deeply curious about this whole affair. Someday I’ll tell her. But not now.

* * *

On Friday night, I slip away from campus, making sure no-one notices me escape. Wearing my best dress, with my hair carefully put up, and with just a little make-up, I look beautiful. I feel beautiful inside.

I stroll down Willard Ave, then Custard St, and find myself at Chat & Brew. It is just a few minutes past seven o’clock.

So I breeze through the front door. There, in the back, in a dimly-lit booth, is Johnny. He is dressed in a poorly fitting suit, probably his father’s. His hair is sort of combed. And sort of not. He looks positively gorgeous.

Johnny looks up and our eyes meet. He breaks into a smile. I smile too, and slide into the booth, right next to him.

* * *