The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

MERINO APOTHEOSIS—2008

FEMALE BY DESIGN

4

Seated at the table in the restaurant and waiting for the seafood dinner to arrive as they sipped their drinks, the silence that had ensnared John Silverton and Christie Summers since sitting down, was comfortable.

He had picked her up from her home, after having not a little trouble finding it in the suburbs. He was a hopeless navigator, at the best of times. The drive into town had been quiet, such that he’d wondered if he had done his dash, as far as any sort of working relationship went with her because of his antics with the truck driver. But, since sitting down at the table, she had smiled at him twice when their eyes had met as they’d roamed around the nice restaurant, giving the other diners the once-over. He decided to break the silence and make it official.

‘I’m sorry,’ he apologised sincerely, ‘I really am.’

She held his eyes for a second or two and then grinned.

‘I know you are,’ she said quietly, and then took another sip of her lemon, lime and bitters. ‘Any man who cries at the pain of missing people can’t be all bad.’

And then she smiled again, warmly this time, as if she meant it. He decided to let her get away with that one for the sake of their friendship, or the possibility of it, at least. So, he just smiled warmly back at her, and then sipped on his own drink-a Rum and Coke.

During their dinner of lobsters, fish and king prawns, he had the chance to really study his new partner as they settled into their comfortable silence once again. He guessed she was doing the same to him. Occasionally, their eyes would meet and they’d both smile, as if knowing some sort of secret yet to be discovered about the other. He knew he had a gleam in his eye, and he sure believed the one he one in hers.

Dressed in a beautiful, form fitting, royal blue evening gown she looked even younger than she had earlier, with that special look on her face. She was a tall blonde woman, solid of stature, yet not fat or heavy looking-just solid. Her form-fitting dress hugged her shapely buttocks gracefully through the curves. Her handsome breasts weren’t small, either. They filled out the front of her cleavage nicely. At any rate, he thought-they were in proportion to the rest of her frame and figure.

Her face was definitely triangular in shape-unusual with her high Asian-type cheekbones. Her eyes were blue and were shaped like almonds. Her lips were full; showing nothing of the thinning that naturally came with passing thirty years of age in most women.

No, he figured-she had definitely looked after herself-of that, there was no doubt at all. She looked better than a lot of younger women he’d seen over the past few years. Then he wondered what she was thinking.

‘Penny for your thoughts,’ he smiled warmly at her.

She smiled back with a mouthful of lobster, but finished chewing and swallowing before she answered.

‘I was actually thinking you look pretty good for your age,’ she said straight out. ‘How old are you? Forty-five? Six? Seven?’

He smiled at her having the same thought as he’d had, and, at the same time.

‘Forty seven,’ he answered, then crunched into a king prawn, tail and all.

He began chewing and crunching noisily. It sounded loud to his ears anyway. ‘You?’ He said when he had swallowed the tasty meat of the prawn with its own roughage.

‘Thirty-one,’ she told him, just before slipping a fork-full of lobster meat into her mouth.

She had a nice mouth, he decided-unusual, in that the more he looked at it, the more attractive it seemed: full lips with a slight curl upward at each corner of her mouth, giving her face the appearance of always having the beginnings of a grin showing. He thought it was cute.

He met her gaze when she looked up again. It was then that he realised the silence that had formed between them on occasion was very natural: one that he felt quite comfortable with. He wondered if she felt the same way about it. She seemed quite relaxed.

She finished her meal and placed the knife and fork evenly on the plate in front of her, signifying to anyone who cared to look that she had finished eating. He finished and did the same a few minutes later while she watched him down the last fork-full of fish.

‘That was very nice,’ she said. ‘Anymore and I’d be uncomfortable for the rest of the evening.’ Then she smiled. It was warm and friendly.

He nodded, swallowing the last of what turned out to have been a delicious meal of mixed seafood. Then he settled back into his chair, relaxing a little further. The waiter called and asked for fresh drinks, standing rigidly in his sparkling smart uniform beside their table.

‘Another of the same?’

She smiled. ‘No. I’ll have what you’re having,’ she answered. She then smiled again.

He knew most women didn’t like Rum and Coke, for some reason.

‘Two, please,’ he told the waiter who disappeared as quickly as he had arrived. Then he watched as she settled back into her chair, mirroring his own movement and relaxing a little more noticeably.

‘What do you think?’ She asked without leading the question to any particular subject, although, he figured he knew what she meant.

‘Might work,’ was all he said, but he was smiling when he said it. Then added, ‘with a bit of luck.’

‘We won’t need luck.’ she grinned cheekily at him. ‘Just a bit of mutual, healthy respect.’

Then she settled again and seemed quite content to just sit and gaze at him from time to time, as he did the same to her. It was then that he had the distinct feeling that they were playing discovery mind-games with each other. It was strange, almost like the thrill of meeting a new woman to become romantically involved with, which he wasn’t, and didn’t want to be-with her, or any other woman, for the time being. Still, it was a nice feeling, he decided-to be so comfortable in a woman’s presence without having to constantly keep up a running stream of mindless conversation, just for the hell of it.

‘Do you think we’ll talk any more together, once we get on the job?’ He asked. Then he grinned at her just before the waiter brought their fresh drinks. She took hers’ and sipped it lightly, waiting for the waiter to leave before answering his question. And when she did answer, her face had a quizzical expression on it. One of her eyebrows arched upward slightly, as she spoke.

‘Are you bored with my company?’ She asked semi-seriously, but with a grin on her face.

‘Quite the opposite,’ he replied. ‘In fact, it’s been a long time since I’ve felt so naturally relaxed in the company of a woman, without feeling the need for constant chatter, just for sake of conversation.’

That answer seemed to please her, he thought. And why shouldn’t it? It was the truth.

‘My father used to say, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” she grinned.

He knew instinctively what she meant and smiled as a reply, nodding in agreement with her absent father who obviously must have been a very wise man, he figured-to produce such a wise daughter sitting opposite him with a little smirk on her face. She had a strange face, he concluded. The more he looked at it, the younger she seemed. It was puzzling to say the least.

‘Married?’ She asked suddenly, after grimacing with a mouthful of Rum and Coke as the aftertaste kicked in.

‘I believe you already know the answer to that question,’ he smiled, knowing the boss would have completely filled her in on his marital status. His, boss, the senior editor, had never been able to help himself when it came to gossiping. John knew nothing about her, however, except, that she lived alone in a very large house in the suburbs.

‘How long were you married?’ She asked quietly.

‘Twenty six years together and twenty four married,’ he answered, trying not to think any further on it than he had to. It didn’t upset him. He just figured it wasn’t a productive line of thought. It simply couldn’t go anywhere.

‘Children?’ She asked further.

‘Two. Fourteen year old boy and a twelve year old girl,’ he replied. ‘What about you? Any that you know of?’

‘Funny,’ she said dryly. Then asked, ‘What happened?’

She was probing. He didn’t know whether he liked this line of inquiry or not, but assumed she was just trying to get a bit of background on him, so she knew where she stood. He lifted his gaze from the Rum and Coke, holding held her almond eyes evenly.

‘For some reason, I still don’t quite understand,’ he answered honestly, ‘the magic seemed to disappear or maybe I’d just passed my use-by date. Once we admitted that fact to one another, we just seemed to drift further and further apart. Then, one day, we just called it quits, believing that our lives had been meant to take a change in direction at that point in our marriage. We’re still very good friends, but that’s all. No hope for, nor talk of, or wanting any reconciliation.’

Then he grinned at her and shook off the mental gloom that had attempted to settle over him while he had been speaking.

‘Anything else?’ He smiled.

Her reply was only a cheeky smile. He decided to ask, in case she thought he wasn’t interested enough in her past, although he didn’t have the least interest in knowing anything about her at that stage, other than that which he already knew. For the time being, that would have been enough for him. He simply looked at her and raised one eyebrow. She smiled.

‘Similar,’ she said softly.

He nodded, seeing the softening of the blue almond eyes buried inside her gaze. And with that, she took another sip of her drink, and then grimaced once again as the after-bite kicked in along the back of her taste buds and the inside of her mouth. He smiled, and then grinned widely as he shook his head in amazement.

‘What?’ She asked of the puzzled expression on his face.

‘Why did you order that drink if you don’t like it? You don’t have to drink it, you know,’ he said with a smile in his voice.

She smiled back as she stared hard at the half-empty glass of Rum and Coke. ‘Just for something different,’ she said quietly. ‘I like different.’

He could feel the Rum settling its heat into the depths of his stomach and loins. His thoughts were beginning to range into an area he didn’t want to go. It was time to move. She didn’t want the drink anyway.

‘Would you like me to take you home now?’ He asked her.

For the first time, he believed he caught her off-guard, and, it was not intentional. Her eyebrows arched, but she said nothing. Her face, however, took on a serious demeanour. She reached beside her chair for her handbag.

‘Okay,’ she answered without looking at him. She stood up from her chair, waiting for him to lead the way. He paid the girl at the front desk, and together, he and Christie walked to where he had parked the car. She said nothing until after he had driven out into the traffic and settled into the drive back to her suburb. When she did speak, it was in a very subdued tone from her side of the car.

‘Is anything wrong?’ She asked quietly.

‘Of course not,’ he replied. ‘I’ve had the most relaxing night out, with the most charming woman I’ve met in a very long time; one who showed her forgiveness of a fool in going out with him after he behaved like an idiot.’

She was silent for a few minutes then spoke again.

‘Are you sure?’ She queried. ‘I mean, I thought we were getting on all right: comfortable with each other?’

He sighed quietly under his breath. He didn’t think he’d be back in this position so soon. He knew what she meant.

‘I think I know what’s bothering you,’ he said quietly, concentrating on the traffic ahead as he formed the thoughts for his mouth to use without putting both feet in it at the same time. He didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

‘When I said the magic had disappeared between my wife and I, I meant it, literally,’ he told her. ‘For me it had, at least, at any rate. I had actually lost complete interest in her altogether.’

She remained silent, listening and staring straight ahead through the windshield.

‘I guess what I’m trying to say is, that I think you’re a unique lady, and a real looker. And I’d very much like to get to know you better, on a personal basis. It’s only been three months since my wife and I have separated. During that time, I haven’t had any interest in any women, period. The urge just isn’t there. Maybe I’m still getting used to the idea of being alone? Who knows? I just don’t want to get involved in anything, other than genuine friendships, at the moment. And if they’re not genuine, I’m not interested in them.’

He remained silent for a few minutes, as did she. ‘I hope I haven’t hurt your feelings,’ he apologised. ‘I didn’t mean to, just wanted to be up front and honest. That’s all.’ After a few more minutes of silence, she spoke, and when she did, he could have sworn he detected a little emotion in her voice as she spoke.

‘It’s a change to meet an honest man,’ she said softly, such that he had to strain to hear her at all, ‘and “friends” will be just fine with me,’ she finished. Then she added with a cheeky smile in her voice, ‘for the time being, anyway.’

She chuckled. He did, too. The moment of embarrassment for both of them had passed and been resolved to their satisfaction, and that suited him fine. Something told him that his new partner and he were going to become very good friends. He dropped her off at her home and saw her to the door. When he said goodnight and thanked her for a wonderful evening, he was about to turn to go when she quickly leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. Then she smiled that cheeky grin.

‘That’s all right for friends, isn’t it?’ She smiled at him.

It was a change to almost look a woman in the eye when she spoke. She wasn’t that much shorter than he was. He grinned.

‘Devil woman.’ He said, then turned and walked back to his car while he felt that she watched until he had driven off down the street.

For some reason, he felt unusually happy that night as he lay down on the bed and stretched, patting the seafood down into place for the last time. He was considering seriously that maybe he hadn’t lost it, after all. Maybe?