The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Jilliad

Book 3

Mark’s Expanding Family

Chapter 16

A Little Night Intrigue

“Hey Roommate, I didn’t get a call. How did the weekend in Brooklyn go?”

“Good and bad,” said Marcus.

“Her Dad?” asked Mark.

“Yeah. Normally he and I get along pretty well. Then the talk turned to the future and I could tell he wasn’t thrilled that we were hinting about us getting engaged.”

“So you think that Ol’ Hector doesn’t think you are worthy of his princess?”

“Yeah, something like that.”

“So what was the good?”

“I can tell that her Mom was excited.”

“Well, my friend, you are so in!” laughed Mark.

“What do you mean?”

“Moms always overrule Dads when it comes to matters of the heart. Let’s face it bro, you’re a catch and Mrs. Ruiz knows it. Mr. Ruiz is probably having a hard time letting go. Besides, there is no way Angie could love anyone else.”

“Except you.”

“Well we both know that I’m never going to let that happen.”

“Yeah, I’d hate to have to kill you,” laughed Marcus.

“I’d hate to have to die,” grinned Mark, quoting from “The Princess Bride.”

“Enough about my weekend. What about yours? Pete told me he and Kimmy were getting married. Trish hinted to Angie that a lot more than that happened.”

“Yeah, it’s a long story,” sighed Mark.

* * *

“He’s what?!” screamed Anatole Brzenko.

“Asa’s not here, boss. He got us a flight out of Rutland. When we got here, he was nowhere to be found. There is no sign that the Garnier’s ever arrived either,” said Yuri.

“Find him!” barked Anatole.

“We’ve tried. He is not at the hotel and he is not answering his cell phone.”

Anatole frowned. Asa had double-crossed him. He had no leverage on the singers, at least yet. “Yuri, get Richie to go through Asa’ computer. I want to know what he was working on. You and your partner have not been on campus yet, right?”

“Yeah, that was Yosef and Olaf who were with Rivers.”

“Did the mark see you in Vermont.”

“No. We never left the vehicle until after they were through the gate.”

“Good. I might need you up there soon. In the meantime, I’m sending Viktor Brasovich from Vegas to take over Asa’s responsibilities. Speaking of Asa, send somebody to Newark to canvas the airport to see if anybody saw anything. Have them concentrate on international flights.”

“OK, Uncle Anatole.”

* * *

Paul Rivers had a pretty lousy Thanksgiving. His parents were fighting again. His mom stormed out of the house to go to his grandmother’s. He could tell that his Dad was under a lot of pressure. He also knew it involved not being able to sign Josie Garnier and Amber Lynn Portnoy. Paul blamed himself for his “casting couch” approach.

He was awoken from his thoughts by a knock on the door. When he opened it, he was greeted by Jason Martino, a senior football player and some other guy. “Paul Rivers?” asked Mark.

“Yeah?”

“Just the guy we’re looking for,” added Jason, as both guys stepped into Paul’s room unbidden.

“What can I do for you guys?” asked Paul.

“Tell your father and have him tell his friends to keep away from Josie and Amber.” stated Mark.

“Why should I? It’s none of our business. It is between them and my dad.” said Paul arrogantly.

“Josie’s my fiancée!” growled Jason.

“And Amber is someone I care deeply about, so we are making it our business,” said Mark.

“If you’re smart, you’ll make it your business too,” said Jason.

“Are you threatening me?”

“No, we are promising you that if your family bothers Amber or Josie our family will bother you,” said Jason.

“It’s only fair,” agreed Mark.

“What do you mean ‘family’?” asked Paul.

Mark and Jason chose not to answer his question.

“Look, what did I do to get you that pissed at me?” bluffed Paul.

“You were hitting on Josie and Amber. That alone would be a good reason for payback. You also told your father about them too. To me, I hold you just as responsible as your father, so we are telling you and him to back off,” said Jason.

“That includes your Daddy’s mob buddies too,” added Mark.

“Mob buddies?”

“I suppose that you might not know about your father’s ties to organized crime, but we know it’s true.”

“It can’t be true!” exclaimed Paul.

“Ask your father if he knows Anatole Brzenko,” asked Jason.

“We’re telling you the truth. You can believe us or not. Just tell your father to lay off or else.” said Mark.

* * *

The Concord compound was now fairly empty compared to several hours earlier. The only people left were Bill, Marie and Michelle, her mother Elise, Claud and Dolly Portnoy, the Garnier’s and Chip, Edith and Marcy.

“Bill, I’m grateful that you decided to stay. I can tell both Pierre and Claud are pretty rattled; especially Claud, as he is worried about Aaron and his niece. I really can use some help coordinating this rescue,” said Chip.

“I’m glad to help, though I don’t have a lot of experience with this kind of thing.”

“Trust me son. The most important thing is to keep a cool head. We have professionals doing the heavy lifting. All we need to do is help with the lines of communication and provide information on the targets. I dispatched the jet with three Wedgewood men, including their top operative, Jack Blake on the flight. They should be in Knoxville in about 90 minutes.”

* * *

Back in Atlantic City, Yuri, Richie and Petrov were excited. “Hey Uncle Anatole, we found what Asa was working on!” exclaimed Yuri.

“This better be good!”

“Asa found out where the Portnoy’ girl’s nephew and her cousin are stashed.”

“Excellent. That is the kind of leverage we can use,” smiled Anatole. “Are our people in Knoxville still in place.”

“Yeah, they’re local city cops. They’re not in their jurisdiction, as the cousin lives in the suburbs.”

“That’s OK. They won’t need any jurisdiction for what they will need to do. They will just need to sit on the girl and the kid until we can get a plane to Knoxville,” said Anatole.

* * *

Mark, Jason, Marcus and Angie drove back to Elsie’s. It was agreed that all the kids would stay there for the rest of the week and commute to classes. The only exception were Sarah, Jeff, Kelly and Pete. As Sarah, Jeff and Pete were RA’s they had responsibilities to their respective dorms. Kelly stayed to keep Sarah from feeling lonely. Additionally, Pete knew it was time to face the music with his boss, the Resident Director, concerning Kimmy.

“Hello Pete. Did you have a nice Thanksgiving?”

“I had a great Thanksgiving, You could say it was life changing, Laura,” said Pete to his RD. “May I come in? I have something important to tell you.”

“Of course,” she said. “Have a seat,” she indicated to a nearby chair, as Pete sat down and she sat in her chair.

Pete sighed. “It’s about Kimmy Martino.”

“I was hoping that the rumors about you two weren’t true,” sighed Laura. “We were in the process of investigating them.”

“I understand that I’ll be fired and removed from campus housing.”

“You might be expelled too. Pete, I can’t believe that you were so foolish to have a dalliance with a freshman resident.”

“There are extenuating circumstances. I love Kimmy. I don’t consider our relationship a ‘dalliance’.”

“That sounds a little too convenient. The Housing Director most likely won’t buy it. He will not only fire you and separate you from campus housing, but he will probably suggest expulsion to your Dean. Pete, I’ll do what I can to help you, but the HD is pretty strict about these things.”

“I know Laura. I appreciate your help and friendship. Please don’t put yourself at risk. I am fairly confident, I won’t get expelled. I have a really good relationship with Dean Rowan and even better relationships with all of the psychology faculty.”

“Well, that is good to hear. I do regret losing you from my staff and sorry for you concerning your housing situation.”

“I needed Off-Campus housing anyway as Kimmy and I are moving in together,” he smiled.

“You really are serious about the girl. But that may not be wise. Her parents may object and might demand your expulsion.”

“No, I get along really well with my in-laws.”

“In-laws?” asked Laura.

Pete held up his left ring finger to reveal his wedding band. “Kimmy and I were married this afternoon. Her brother, Jason was my best man.”

Laura Fulton was shocked. She knew that Pete was a self-styled player with girls and a wicked flirt. He had even flirted with her on a number of occasions and she had flirted back. The last thing she thought him capable of was a monogamous relationship. Now he had just signed on to the ultimate monogamous relationship. “Pete congratulations! Now I know you won’t get expelled,” she laughed.

“I’m hoping you’ll give me and Kimmy a special wedding present, that only you can give us right now.”

“What?”

“Fire me.”

* * *

Rebecca Portnoy had just finished packing when she heard her cell phone ringtone. She saw who it was and answered it. “Hello Uncle Claud?”

“No Becca, this is Chip Winthrop, we spoke earlier.”

“Yes, Mr. Winthrop.”

“Are you and Aaron packed?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Do you know your Uncle’s friend, Captain Garrison?”

“Yes. Since I was a little girl.”

“He should be with you in under 15 minutes. He is going to drive you to the city limits, where he is going to hand you and Aaron off to a couple of my men. The leader will identify himself as Jack Blake. Then they will accompany you to the downtown airport and you will board my plane...”

Chip was interrupted by a loud voice in the background “Open the door! Police!”

“Mr. Winthrop!”

“I know. I heard them. Tell them you are coming, but don’t trust them!”

“Coming!” cried Becca.

“Good, Now before you let them in, find a place in the room to quickly stash this phone but leave this call connected. If they ask about the luggage, tell them you are waiting for a cab to take you to the airport. You and Aaron are visiting a family friend in LA.”

“I’m scared.”

“Just be calm and do everything they say, but don’t tell them about me, where your family is or Captain Garrison, OK? Now stash that phone!”

“Lady open up now or we will break down the door!” yelled a loud, but somewhat muffled voice.

“OK!” she yelled.

Chip put Claud’s phone on mute. He then heard some muffled voices.

“Why did you take so long?”

“I wasn’t decent. I was getting dressed because my young cousin and I are traveling. We’re waiting for a cab.”

“I’m sorry Miss. We cannot let you go anywhere until you answer some questions for us.”

Chip looked at Claud. “I need to talk to Tim Garrison fast!”

About five minutes later, Becca’s doorbell rang.

“Yes?”

“You call for a cab Ma’am?” said a voice familiar to Becca.

One of the police officers walked to the door and opened it a crack. He flashed his badge at the “Cabbie” and said “Beat it!”

Tim saw Becca and Aaron sitting on the sofa, apparently unhurt. “OK, I’m leaving!” he groaned, as he walked off.

A couple of minutes later, Chip got a call. “Hello Mr. Winthrop? Tim Garrison.”

“Hello Captain.”

“Thanks for the tip about the Tyson McGhee airport and for helping to keep Becca calm.”

She’s a good girl. I was able to overhear the men talking about the airport. Anyway, it is getting very quiet in there. What’s the news?”

“Aaron and Becca appear to be OK. Our bad guys seem to be off-duty, city cops, judging from the squad car parked outside. Arrogant S.O.B’s too.”

“That’s good news. Since they are cops, they won’t be likely to hurt our friends. My boys are standing by if they are needed. Jack suggests confronting the bad guys at the other airport before the cops hand off Becca and Aaron.”

“I’m sorry sir, we can’t do that. Once they attempt to move Aaron, it should automatically generate an “Amber Alert”. We will have no choice but to act while they are in our jurisdiction.”

Chip was concerned. Then he heard Bill’s voice, as he put the call on mute. He seemed to be reading the older man’s mind. “Chip, it sounds like Captain Garrison has everything under control. Claud assured me that he trusts Tim with his life, so he would with Aaron and Becca’s too.”

Chip smiled. He remembered what John Wedgewood told him. “Sometimes you just have to let go if you want to get the result you want.” Now Bill Samuels was channeling that same philosophy and it made sense.

Chip took the line off mute. “OK, Captain Garrison, please keep us informed,” said Chip. “We still have ears here. If we hear when they plan to depart, we’ll let you know.”

“That would a big help, but, Mr. Winthrop, you do realize that if an Amber Alert is issued, your men will be unable to remove Aaron from the state.”

“Is there anything you can do?”

“You know, ordinarily I would say no, but since our would be kidnappers are police officers, I think I have something that just might work.”

* * *

Back at Elsie’s, Jason and Josie retired to their room, as did Marcus and Angie. Poor Kimmy was depressed that she would be alone on her wedding night. She spent some time talking to her dorm mate Monique. “Well, I never thought I would be spending my wedding night without my groom,” bemoaned Kimmy.

“We both know that Pete would be here if he could. Besides, this gives us a chance to catch up,” smiled Monique.

“We both know where you want to be right now,” grinned Kimmy.

“Hey, contrary to popular belief, I’m not all about sex.”

Kimmy laughed.

“What?” asked Monique.

“You certainly are a far cry from where I met you a few months ago,” replied Kimmy.

Monique sighed. “Yeah, I was very different back then.”

“In some ways. You’re still a great friend.”

A knock came at the door and Kimmy opened it and she cried out in surprise. “Pete!” as she pulled him into the room. “But how?”

“Let’s just say that this is the first time I am glad that I got fired,” he said before pulling Kimmy into his arms for a deep kiss.

“Well, I guess you two want to be alone, so I’ll be on my way,” said Monique.

Kimmy and Pete groaned their unintelligible reply into each other’s mouth.

Then Monique closed the door behind her and sprinted to the master bedroom and the sounds of sex coming out of it. “I may not be all about sex, but I’d being lying if I said I didn’t really like it,” she thought with a chuckle.

* * *

Mark saw Monique walk into the Master bedroom and begin to remove her clothes, before settling into Amy’s arms. He went back to kissing Alexis, his flaccid penis still embedded inside of her from their love making. “So you’d rather be with me than Jason?” he teased in between kisses.

“Don’t be silly. I love Jason, but not like you. It is always best with you and I know you love me more than any other man could.” she smiled, as she broke the kiss before resuming.

“Good! I think of when you were suffering, how badly I wanted you. Now I have you.” he grinned. “I love you Alexis! You’re an amazing woman,” he said, as he felt himself getting hard again.

“I can feel how much you love me,” moaned Alexis, as she began to grind his embedded member in her depths.

After he and Alexis disconnected, Mark noticed Tammy sitting in the corner.

He walked over to her nude form and gave her a comforting hug. “You, OK?”

“Aaron and Becca are still in trouble, but dad, Mr. Winthrop and my godfather are working on getting them up to Concord.”

“My Dad is there too. He is one of the wisest people I know. So is Chip. Between them, your Godfather and the Wedgewood team, your son and cousin are in good hands,” comforted Mark.

Tammy melted into Mark’s embrace. She felt safe in his arms. She hadn’t felt like that since she had been held by her father as a little girl. The difference was when she looked at him, she did not see her father. She flashed her baby blues at him and leaned over and gently kissed him. He kissed her back softly. They were content just to do that for a while.

* * *

Back in Greater Knoxville, Officer Kyle Singletary’s cell rang. He walked out of the parlor and into the kitchen to answer it.

“The plane has landed, so bring them to the airport. Any problems?” asked Yuri.

“The girl isn’t saying anything about where her family is.”

“Haven’t you tried any more persuasive methods?”

“Hey, we’re cops. We’re not going to torture some girl or little kid. If you assholes get off on that kind of thing then you do it! We’ll get them to the airport.”

“When do you expect to have them there?”

“About forty-five minutes.”

“Good. Go to Hanger seven.”

“OK,” said Kyle as he disconnected the call.

Kyle walked back into the living room. “It’s time,” he said to his partner.

* * *

A few minutes later, the two officers led the young woman and the boy out the door and into their squad car. They put their baggage in their trunk and then got into the car and pulled out of the parking spot. All of a sudden, two cruisers with sirens blaring came in one in front and one behind the target vehicle. Captain Garrison jumped out of the passenger seat of the car in front, and brought his assault rifle to bear, as he aimed it at the divers side. A third vehicle appeared from behind, with additional police officers jumping out and taking ready positions. “Come out with your hands up,” said a voice from a megaphone that came from the rear.

“Shit!” exclaimed Kyle. He knew that he and Mick were in trouble. He recognized the man holding the rifle on the vehicle in the front, as the cabbie. The local cops somehow knew what was happening. Kyle slowly opened the car door. “I’m coming out,” he said as he put his hands behind his head as he stood up.

A cop came up behind him and unholstered Kyle’s weapon and took it.

“Now your partner,” said Tim.

Slowly Mick did the same thing as his partner.

“Captain, this is all a big misunderstanding. The girl is a material witness in a homicide. We are just bringing her to the station...”

“Look son. Don’t say anything else and listen to me,” said Tim Garrison. “We both know that if this was going to be handled correctly, you would have had to observe protocols which were ignored. You are out of your jurisdiction without consent. As you have a juvenile in your vehicle, this could be constituted as an ‘Amber Alert Event’.”

“But sir...”

“Son,” interrupted Tim, as Kyle became silent. “This is what we are going to do. We are going to have a nice chat for the next hour or so. Then I want to call your commanding officer to see if he can justify this breach of protocol and with details about this ‘so-called’ murder, this woman had seen. Now If you don’t want me to call, l won’t. I’ll just assume that, you two have made a good faith mistake that you are too embarrassed to report to your commanding officer...”

“Sir, you don’t know who you are dealing with... we can’t fail...” moaned Kyle.

“Son, that’s your problem. Just to be clear, Eventually, I’m going to let you go, but when I do, I want to give you and your partner some advice. Stay out of my town! Also, should anything happen to me or anyone I care about, my buddy at the FBI will launch a complete investigation of you two. You can tell your boss that knowing how thorough my friend is, I’m sure that it will lead back to him.” smiled Tim smugly.

* * *

In the parking lot of a nearby convenience store, Jack Blake and one of his men were waiting for their “packages” to arrive. He saw a police cruiser pull into the parking lot. Then a couple of officers walked over to their vehicle. He could see the forms of two people in the rear of the squad car.

As they approached his window, he smiled. “Hello Officers. Do you have a big package and a small package for Jack?”

“We do,” said the officer who stayed, as the other walked back to the squad car.

“Where is Captain Garrison?”

“He is detaining those crooked cops so you can get to the airport unmolested,”

“Copy that. Please pass him along regards from Mr. Winthrop and Mr. Wedgewood,” said Jack.

The other officer opened the car door and a young woman and a child climbed out. Jack carefully exited the SUV and approached them, as his partner and one of the officers began to remove the luggage. Jack saw the boy was scared. “Don’t worry, son, You’re safe now. I’m here to take you to your grandparents.”

“Are you one of the good guys?” asked Aaron.

“Yes he is, Aaron.” said the lovely voice from above.

Jack looked up and saw the beauty of the voice was matched by the young woman’s appearance. Her lovely dark hair shone in a nearby streetlamp. She was looking at him with a mixture of bemusement and relief.

“You two are in good hands, Mrs. Portnoy,” smiled Jack.

Becca laughed a musical laugh. “That was smooth.”

“I take it that you’re a ‘Miss Portnoy’,” grinned Jack.

“At the moment,” she said cryptically.

Once everything was packed, they drove off for Knoxville Downtown Island Airport.

* * *

At McGhee Tyson Airport, three men waited at a private hanger. The leader of the group’s phone rang. “Sasha, I have not been able to establish contact with our men. My guess is that they were overpowered and the girl and the child were taken.” said Yuri.

“What should we do?” asked Sasha.

“Send two of your men to search the main concourse and the ticket windows. They have pictures to identify the girl?”

“Yes.”

“Good. You will remain in case they show up at the rented hanger.”

“Any news on what’s going on?”

“I can tell that the boss is going to explode. It seems like someone is always a step ahead of us. I just spoke to the men about an hour ago and they assured me that they were successfully detaining the girl and the child. Somehow, someone must have found out. I’m sure that Uncle Anatole suspects that there is a traitor in our organization.”

“Knowing your Uncle, he will get to the bottom of this and no matter who is responsible, someone will pay!” exclaimed Sasha. “Still, we have that leverage against Rivers at least. My best guess is that the boss will keep this hanging over Rivers’ head for a long time.”

“When we’re finished with Rivers, he’ll be destroyed!” snarled Yuri.

* * *

“Mr. Winthrop. We just took off. ”

“Great news Jack. What’s your ETA?”

“We should be arriving at Logan in about three hours. Depending on late night traffic, we should be with you a bit less than four.”

“We? Jack, haven’t you been on all day? I thought you were going to hand off ‘the packages’.”

“Yeah, I just want to be along for the ride to make sure you get them.”

“Jack, you know I’m always in your corner with John. You don’t have to impress me. I’m already impressed. Go home,” said Chip, as if he were talking to a son.

“Thanks Mr. Winthrop, but I would feel a lot better if I knew everything was OK. Besides, I think Miss Portnoy and the boy would like me to stay for reasons of continuity.”

“Well, copy that, Jack,” laughed Chip, as he could sense something from the younger man’s tone. “See you in about four hours then.”

“Copy that, sir.”

Chip disconnected the call and looked over at Claud. “Everything’s fine. They should be here in four hours.”

“Good. That should get them here by about 2 AM,” said Claud before pausing. “Chip, I can’t begin to tell you how grateful I am.”

“Claud, I’m not sure how to explain it, but I think of you and your family as my family. ”

“I feel the same way and I’m not sure why,” admitted Claud.

“I know. Mark,” said Chip. “He has somehow tied us all together and I must say that I am the happier for it.”

“I must admit, that Dolly and I have been a house on fire since we got here, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I feel a real fondness for the boy. I know he is engaged to your granddaughter and sleeping with my daughters, but it doesn’t bother me and I don’t know why.”

“It doesn’t bother you for the same reason it doesn’t bother me. I know that he loves all of the girls. He will take care of all of them as if he were their husband. More importantly, they love each other too. He loves all of us too, but obviously in a different way,” laughed Chip.

“Actually I’m quite grateful for that,” laughed Claud.

“By the way, just for the sake of curiosity, is your niece a beautiful girl?”

“She’s lovely. She’s a bright girl too. She can be sweet, but she does not suffer fools gladly,” said Claud.

Chip smiled to himself. Jack Blake was not exactly a ladies’ man, but he was a strong and handsome man. “Had he finally met his match?” he thought.

* * *

They spent the flight in silence. Once the plane touched down at Logan Airport, Jack picked the sleeping boy up in his arms and carried him off the plane and into a waiting SUV. At that point his associates left to return to their homes. “Aren’t you joining your friends?” she said with a very light touch of Tennessee twang.

“No Ma’am. It is my responsibility to get you and the boy to the secure location.”

“It’s Miss, or have you already forgot,” she whispered, as her eyes smoldered dangerously.

Jack Blake had been a decorated combat officer in Iraq. He had done three tours of duty (one prior to the Iraq war). His last mission had broken him. What he saw reminded him that he was a man, not a soldier. He had been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and sent home with a medical discharge. For a year he had been shuffled around from one veterans hospital to another. He then met John Wedgewood.

Prior to becoming Chip’s Military Attaché in West Germany, John at had fought in Vietnam. He knew the horrors of war. He was a friend of a friend of Jack’s father. Once Jack had been pronounced “cured”, John hired him to work at his private security firm and mentored him. While Jack had improved, John knew he was still haunted by what happened to him.

Despite this, Jack learned quickly. His training and mentoring by John had turned him into top notch operative and soon, John began to see Jack as his heir apparent to the business. So far Jack had not showed any effects from his condition. In fact, he had been in several fire fights and never lost a client he was protecting.

Now for the first time in a long time, he felt helpless. He had fallen in love at first sight with smart, tough woman. To make matters worse, he thought that she was showing interest in him.

“Sorry, Miss Portnoy it is,” he smiled uneasily.

“You could just call me ‘Becca’.”

“I’ll just stick to Miss Portnoy for now.”

Becca’s eyes took on an amused look. “Well, I do declare, a gentleman to the end.” came her now exaggerated drawl.

“Just a man with a job to do,” he said quietly, but making eye contact.

“Am I just a job?”

“No. You ceased being ‘just a job’ five minutes ago.”

“So, I’m not a job anymore?”

“Oh, you’re still a job, alright. Just one I’m not getting paid for, at least not at the moment,” he said evenly.

Becca laughed. She had grown weary of the mid-late twenties dating scene in greater Knoxville. Jack was intriguing, dangerous, yet refined, stoic, yet seemingly interested. He was the proverbial iceberg and she wanted to dive beneath the surface so she could see more than just the top. “Isn’t my charming personality and sparkling personality enough payment for you?”

“It should be for any man in his right mind. I’m not in my right mind,” he said with a serious expression, but cracking a smile when he saw a mortified look crossed her face. “Sorry, I didn’t mean for it to come out that way. I need to keep my focus. While I am technically ‘off duty’, we are not out of the woods yet.”

“I thought we were heading into the woods, the Winthrop’s place is fairly near Walden, right?” asked Becca.

A wry smile came over Jack’s features. “True. Right in Henry David Thoreau’s back yard, I guess.”

“’I went to the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts and see if I could not learn what it had to teach..’” started Becca.

“’... and not when I came to die discover that I had not lived.’” said Jack, finishing the quote.

Becca’s mind began to reel. When she first saw him, she thought that he was very attractive, but now that she had her first look at the iceberg beneath the surface, she came to a startling conclusion. “He can quote Thoreau. I think I’m in love,” she thought.

* * *

David Rivers sat in his home office. His life was in shambles. His wife of twenty years was threatening to leave him. She had stormed out of the house last night to go to her mother’s. She must still be angry because she had not called him or returned his calls. His son, Paul, was threatened by a couple of guys who had ties to Amber Lynn Portnoy and Josie Garnier. Paul also began to question his business activities. Somehow these guys knew of his involvement with the syndicate. He had hung up on Paul out of anger.

David also received an angry call from Anatole Brzenko. David knew that this was not a man to anger. He had to sign the girls or else. The irony of it all was that from a professional stand point, he was dying to work with the girls. They had a shot at greatness and as one of the top A&R guys in the business, he could really help them. In another reality, he would have repped them for free just for the chance.

“What happened to me?” he thought. This was never about making tons of money. He had done that already. This was about finding the good music the world had to offer. He was just putting himself in a position to bring it to light.

He thought about the object in his top desk drawer. It would be so easy. So easy to remove the object, so easy to turn off the safety, so easy to stick the barrel in his mouth... David Rivers put his head on his desk and began to weep inconsolably. After five minutes, he knew what he had to do. He picked up the receiver on his desk and dialed a number in the 413 area code. “Paul? I am sorry son.”

“It’s OK, Dad.”

“No its not, son. I’m in a terrible fix and I don’t know how to get out of it. I am going to do something I should have done from the start. I’m going to tell you the truth.”