The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Dawn Covy, Dove by Day

Chapter 2: Pick Up Artisan

Synopsis: Dawn Covy: entrepreneurial proprietress of the Dove by Day Cafe, vintage music enthusiast, and apparently gifted with an irresistible control over other women. Will she be able to keep her fledgling cafe afloat in a world of high-paced trading teas, percolating profits, and... banging baristas?

Disclaimer: All characters in adult scenes are over 19 years of age. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is coincidental. Story may contain nudity, coarse language, obscure coastal dialects, graphic sexual depictions, and a variety of willing and unwilling mental and physical changes.

Dawn Covy, Dawn’s Apartment

I sighed and stretched as my alarm brayed for my attention. A heap of blankets littered the bed as a cold morning breeze filtered in through the open window. I’ve always liked it cold when I sleep, but it does make it so much harder to get out of bed in the morning. I brushed the stray bangs from my face and tucked them behind my ear, then felt around on the frozen floor for my slippers. Closing the window and checking to make sure there was no actual ice or frost around I shuffled to the closed bathroom door and stepped inside to do my morning ablutions and get ready to start the day.

One steamy shower and intense conflict with my hair later and I was ready to meet the day with a smile. The smile lasted until I grabbed my work pants and a business card fell to the floor. Scooping it up and scowling at the lazy font and uninformative text I thought about thinking, and I thought about doing. Needless to say this accomplished nothing, and the morning was wearing onward to sunrise, so I tucked it back into the pocket and get dressed for my shift.

When I say shift I mean being at work all day. We open at six thirty in the morning and close at four in the evening. During the morning rush I get Parker and Foley to help out, and then one of us works the rest of the afternoon. Yesterday it had been myself, and today I would get off just after noon and most likely spend the rest of the day doing tallies on supplies and contacting distributors to make our orders. Being the owner of a coffee shop is a lot harder than I’d have thought, but it is far and away better than working for someone else.

I tossed on a light sweater and stepped out the back door, crossed the alley, and unlocked the back door of Dove by Day. Needless to say I live in a small world of work and home, and the commute alone has saved me money on a car, bike, or even transit passes. Parker and Foley each drove in and I let them alternate in my apartment parking spot since I wasn’t using it. I flicked the lights on and went about the pre-opening procedures while setting some choice coffee’s to brew for my own selfish use. Once the food prep was done and the percolator making an encouraging burble I got the boiling water dispenser up to temp and set up the place settings for the morning rush.

“Morning!” an overly cheerful voice called from the back room, a strange lilt in her voice heralding the arrival of my Canadian employee. Emilia Parker was my first hire, and I always forgot to get around to firing her. Parker hails from a place she fondly refers to as ‘The Rock’, which I had to look up to make sure she didn’t mean Alcatraz. As it turns out she is from a part of Canada called Newfoundland, and her frequently impenetrable euphemisms were something of an attraction for our patrons.

“Good morning, Parker.” I called out as her red curls appeared from behind the doorway and she beamed me a bright smile.

“No need to call’s me Parker, Ms. Covy. Emi’s fine.” she said with a wink like she did every day, her playful dialect at odds with her expertly applied make-up and perfectly styled hair. A stray curl of red hair bobbed playfully to the side of her face and her tip-hunting breasts were making quite the showing. “How’s you getting on?”

“Fine. Had a rough day yesterday, but I’m hoping to make up for it today.” I said evasively. I knew I probably looked tired even after a full night’s rest, I certainly felt it, but I was going to let some busy body from the coast think I couldn’t handle a few customers on my own. I may be her boss and her senior of five years, but I did try to keep a friendly professional vibe among the staff.

“Oh? I know what you mean. One second you knows you can’t go and then the next the arse is gone out of you, eh b’y?” she said with a knowing smirk.

“Yeah... uh, right.” I smiled and nodded as if I understood, and wondered, not for the first time, if she wasn’t laying it on thick just to mess with me.

I glanced at the clock a few times as we worked quietly, and noted with some irritation that my second employee had yet to show. She was frequently late by as much as ten minutes, but she usually made up for it by pushing our highest priced products out the door with crazy efficiency. Foley was also a student at the university and pushed our products rather heavily on campus, making us a go-to spot for most of the hipsters and art students. Something caught the edges of my attention and I watched out the window for several moments as the disturbance resolved into the whine of a siren and finally into a pair of police cars whizzing past the otherwise empty street.

I turned to say something to Parker when the front door chimmed open and drew me back around. Foley was standing in the door with her signature mildly amused expression.

“Amber, that you, b’y?” Parker called out irritably from the back as a chill wind swept across the store, “Oh me nerves it’s cold. Put the wood in it!”

“Um, excuse me?” Foley lifted her eyebrows slowly and I realized she must have woken up late again.

“Get in and close the door.” I said tersely, then poured her a coffee, holding back any complaints as she took a seat and camped out over it. “What took you so long this time?”

“What? Oh. I’m only, like, five minutes late. Lay off, okay?” she muttered, her heavy blond bangs down over her eyes so that there was no forehead visible, just perfectly straight locks. She caught my severe look then sighed and flashed me an apologetic smile as she added, “Sorry, boss, broke up with the boyfriend last night.”

“Third in a month.” Parker muttered coolly from the booths as she wiped them down and got them cleaned for the day.

I continued as if I hadn’t heard her and asked, “Another cheater?”

“Nope. Nice to be surprised once in a while.” Foley stretched like a cat, took deep sip of the piping hot liquid, then closed her eyes as the go-go juice did its work. “He said I wasn’t compatible with his starsign or some new-age bullshit. I’m not going to miss him though. Too much of a space cadet if you know what I mean.”

“Yeah.” I agreed with a sage nod, not mentioning her obvious relation to her own critiques. Foley tends to space out while not under direct supervision and I had more than once caught her chatting away amiably with one table while the others sat without refreshment. If you kept her on track then she was as valued an employee as I could hope for, though I shudder to think how much trouble she could have caused if it was her in here yesterday afternoon. “Alright, enough chit chat, we have to get this place ready for the rush.”

“Right on, Boss.” Foley snapped a laconic salute, then stepped behind the counter and started arranging the food prep area.

The three of us worked hard for nearly half an hour before we were finally ready to open the door, and by that time a small line of half a dozen people had gathered. I let them in and the rush began. When the dust settled six hours later we had poured nearly three hundred cups of tea or coffee, made four dozen sandwiches, and collected enough tips to fill the spare tender to the brim. Not a bad sales day, but my feet ached and my head was throbbing lightly by the time the afternoon rolled firmly around.

“Can not wait to get out of here.” Foley sighed and plunked down in her favourite stool and inhaled deeply over a cup of tea. “If I had to let that greasy old man leer at me for much longer I think I’d have thrown hot water in his face just to make him close his eyes.”

“No hurting the customers.” I mumbled absently as I counted bills and checked receipts to make sure the day’s take was accounted for, then locked the tender and tucked in into the store safe. “My shoulders are killing me though. I wonder if there’s enough to justify a company spa retreat.”

“Actually?”

“No. Hell no.” I laughed at her enthusiasm, “I’m not wasting shop resources to get you a mani and a pedi, Foley.”

“Eat a bag of dicks, boss.” she retorted and visibly deflated.

I tsked absently then wagged a finger at her. “Hey, lets have some respect. I am your boss after all.”

“That’s why I called you boss, boss.” Foley chortled and then stuck out her tongue. She quickly pulled it back in when the door chimed and a woman entered. Foley was quicker to the draw and stood with a smile as she greeted the customer. “Afternoon, miss. Welcome to Dove by Day.”

“Hi.” the woman said absently as she glanced up at our intimidating menu. She was tall and fit, her blonde hair tight in a pony tail that bounced playfully behind her smooth neck and toned shoulders. She was wearing white cardigan over a pastel pink shirt against the chill morning, which complimented her tanned skin and smattering of light freckles, while her legs were fashionably dressed in a pair of faded skinny jeans. “What’s good?”

“Well if you’re feeling adventurous then you could try the Pick up Artisan blend.” Foley pointed to the third most expensive tea on our list.

The blonde paled when she saw the price then lowered her eyes to meet Foley’s. “Is it any good?” she asked.

“Guaranteed to get the girl. If you believe the label, that is.” my employee laughed at a joke that she had come up with months ago and I hadn’t had the time to train out of her. “Want a pot?”

“No, I think I’ll...” the customer started to protest, then trailed off as she looked in my direction.

At first I thought something was behind me so, like a rube, I checked to see if there was a spider or something on the wall. When I couldn’t find anything I looked back and realized she was looking directly at me. Not eye contact, mind, but instead trawling her eyes over my blouse and work apron like a baker with a rolling pin. Eventually her stunned gaze found my bewildered expression and we locked eyes for only a second before her face flushed and she made a detailed study of her shoes.

Foley, for her part, watched this exchange at first with polite confusion and then with a growing mischievous grin. “Boss, what do you think she’d like?”

I took only as long as it took to make sure Foley caught my glower before smiling at the perplexed patron and shrugging earnestly. “I don’t know what kind of mood you’re in or what your preferences are, but I haven’t met anyone who didn’t like the Monk’s Blend on a cold day.”

“Um... I don’t know.” the customer muttered as she shifted her weight from foot to foot uncomfortably, “I think I might just go.”

“Sit down and have some tea.” I said as endearingly as I could, always eager to sell an extra cup or pot. “I’ll get some brewing for you.”

The customer hesitated for a moment then took a deep breath and stepped up to the stool I’d indicated and sat down. Shooting a worried glance at Foley I caught a glint in her eye as she grinned fiercely and winked at me, then I turned and got a tea bag ready and into a cup of water. The patron looked up when I placed it in front of her, her eyes unsteady as if they fought to hold onto my gaze, her lips half opened as if she had something to say and her breath was surprisingly heavy.

“Foley, can I have a word with you?” I said when the blonde pried her eyes from my face with her tea and made a miserable expression. I walked over to my barista and scowled at her, “Did I miss something? Why are you grinning like a clown over here?”

“You didn’t notice it, boss?” Foley’s eyes bulged slightly as she fought back a sudden fit of giggles. She managed to keep her voice low, but as Parker was in back and there was no one except us and the customer in the shop it was still louder than I’d liked as she said, “I’ll bet you twenty dollars she tries to hook up with you before she leaves.”

I must have blanched.

“Hey now! Don’t be a homophobe, boss. You’ll put off some of our biggest customers. Half the people I pull in here from the Uni I meet at the Gay-Straight Alliance.” Foley waggled her finger as she did her best to stifle her chortling and pretended to be serious, “I’m just saying she is clearly interested in steeping something other than tea leaves, if you know what I mean. Maybe you should, you know, try it out and see if you like it. ”

“Oh my god. You don’t say another word until after she leaves.” I growled unsuccessfully while suppressing a voice crack and trying to seem as stern as I could, “I am not a homophobe, I am not going to date a customer, and I am so not willing to talk with an employee about that kind of thing!”

Foley opened her mouth to say something sarcastic in reply when she suddenly flushed and her eyes went wide. I watched a series of expressions chase each other across her features for a moment before she closed her mouth then opened it again to no great effect. I didn’t know what was going through her vapid little head of hers, but I was ticked off and flat-footed for the second time in two days and I wasn’t going to take any of her shit right then.

I pointed at a booth in back and added, “Go sit down until I come get you.” With a bewildered looked in her eyes Foley did as I ordered, sat down unsteadily, and to my utter amazement continued to keep quiet. Maybe I should be bossy more often. I walked back to the customer just as she was taking her first sip of the slightly-cooled tea and smiled as pleasantly as I could. “How is it?”

“Um... good.” she managed, not looking up from her beverage. “I... Could you pour it in a to go cup? I was sort of on my way somewhere when I stepped in.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. You didn’t have to sit down if you didn’t want to.” I said and took her cup from her to do as she’d asked, “You can get up and leave anytime. I didn’t mean to bully you into staying.”

As if a switch was flipped the blonde took to her feet and smiled in self depreciation as she muttered, “Thanks, I guess you were just so... so forceful. It caught me off guard.”

I didn’t think I’d been very forceful, but then I don’t always watch my tone when I speak. I shrugged as if it were an accident and then handed her the to-go cup now filled with her tea. “Here you go. two fifty.”

“Here.” she said after a moment’s hesitation then handed me the coinage before snapping her hand back as if she was worried I’d bite. She hesitated a moment and seemed like she wanted to say something more, but eventually settled on leaving things as they were and turned to leave. I watched her go and waved awkwardly when she stopped to look over her shoulder, causing her to blush furiously as she stormed out onto the street.

“Alright Foley, get over here. We are going to have words about work place conduct.” I said angrily as Foley hopped out of her seat and raced over so quickly she almost slipped on the floor. I grabbed her wrist quickly to help steady her and then threw the wrist down and shook my head. “What is wrong with you? Are you high or something? Well? Speak up!”

“No, I just... When you said... Are you okay, boss? Do you feel alright?” Foley stammered for a moment before trying a different track. “Parker! Get over here! Something totally fucking cool is going on!”

“Eh?” was the muffled reply from the back room. It was quickly followed by a shuffling of materials and then the bobbing of a stray red curl that made its way towards us. Parker dusted her hands off on her apron and came over on the assumption something terrible was going on. “What’s after happening now?”

Foley missed a beat as she tried to mentally translate that into English before giving up and pointing at me with a wicked grin. “Boss has super powers! She totally just super-seduced a lady and then she was bossing me around like she was my... my...”

“Boss?” I supplied without amusement.

“...boss or something!” Foley finished as if uninterrupted.

“Go on, b’y.” Parker snorted derisively, then met my own unamused gaze. “She’s right contrary, isn’t she.”

“You have no idea.” I sighed and turned back to Foley and her meltdown. “Are you going to like this all day? Because I have things to get done and you aren’t helping.”

“That lady was all like ‘oh, I’ll think about tea.’ and you were like ‘bitch better have some brew!’ and she was all ‘oh my god you’re so sexy I need the tea!’” Foley said while gyrating her arms in some absurd pantomime. “And then you told me to shut up and what did I do?”

“I... Well I mean you shut up, but I assumed you were just being a normal employee and not losing your freaking mind.” I said as I crossed my arms and tapped my foot irritably.

“I did shut up! Yeah, I did, but I didn’t want to until you told me. And then it was like... it felt... If I shut up then I’d feel good in a... really good!” she gesticulated again, on the verge of losing her balance along with her marbles. “Just try it! Order Emi to balance on her hands or something! Tell her to juggle her giant tits or, like, lick the floor! Something she wouldn’t do normally.”

“Eh? Now I know’s you’re a stun. Ms. Covy, just do it so’s she shuts up.” my Newfie said impenetrably.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and tilted my head back and muttered, “I can’t believe I’m humoring you.” before scrunching my eyes shut and turning to Parker. “Parker, please punch Foley in the arm.”

“Hey! Wait! Ow!” Foley said as Parker slugged her and nearly knocked her down. “What the hell! Boss, I said something harmless! That fucking hurt! She hits like a freight train! Ah!”

“Oh, walk it off.” I chuckled and watched her stumbled around flexing her arm to try and shake off the spreading numbness. After a moment I held up my hand to give Parker a high-five. “Well, do you feel at all coerced? Did a demon possess you and force you to slug your coworker?”

“Nah, but it was a right good thing for the soul, Ms. Covy.” Parker laughed along and slapped her palm against mine.

“No cool! Not cool! God that smarts!” Foley winced as she rubbed her arm. She shot venom at both of us before she grumbled and said, “No, something she wouldn’t do. And don’t be a punk about it, boss, order her like you did me!”

“Oh my god, I swear you are just setting me up for some kind of prank.” I moaned, then sighed, “Fine, what do you want me to order her to do?”

“Punch herself in the face.” she muttered under her breath, probably assuming we couldn’t hear. When she saw our scowls she quickly corrected herself and made a suggestion. “Order her to run to the back wall and then run back as fast as she can.”

“You saying I’m lazy?” Parker cocked an eye brow and a fist, causing Foley to flinch back nearly a foot with a squeak. Laughing and changing the fist into an open hand she patted Foley on the top of the head and said, “Yeah, okay, Ms. Covy. Go ahead.”

“Parker. I order you to run to the back of the store and run back as fast as you can.” I said, and to my utter amazment she turned and bolted like a startled deer. Indignant, I hastily shouted “Hey! Get back here!”

My newfie, to my shock and Foley’s vengeful amusement, completely turned her body around without arresting her momentum first and went ass over heels then, heels over head, into a stack of empty boxes by the rear door. I made to run over and help her but before I could take a step she was back on her feet and sprinting back at me.

“Stop!” I screeched and held my hands up inefectively as she slammed bodily into me and bowled us both into a heap. Through the grace of some otherwise perverse and laughing god the various sharp objects and boiled liquids didn’t stir as we shook the counter, but a loose napkin fluttered off the counter and landed on my face before I could find my limbs to prevent its descent.

The last thing I saw before it reached beyond my focal length was the name and phone number that the patron had written down in a trim and exact font. “Call if you’re interested.” it read, and it took me a second to realize the low keening sound I was hearing was coming from my own throat.

“Foley, I am going to kill you.” I said as I extricated myself from my dazed employee and tried to reach my feet. “This is why I never take your stupid bets.”