The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

The Reality

by asianpersuasion & J. Darksong

Subterfuge

Kyle yawned and stretched, sitting up and hitting the alarm simultaneously, kicking aside the covers. A small amount of sunlight trickled in through the curtains, but he pushed them open, allowing the full daylight in. Feeling brisk and well rested, he slipped on his workout clothes and cross trainers, and made his way outside for a quick two mile run. Running alone, making his way along the well worn track, he let his mind wander, going over his current agenda while his body went through the motions on autopilot. Kyle was very proud of his body—as well he should be. When he’d started playing The Reality years ago, he, like most players, simply looked on it as a game, as entertainment. It was simply a way to pass the time, a way to relax after school, or to meet up with and hang out with friends. Like most, he hadn’t really made the connection of one of the game’s most well known, but overlooked, secrets: that a person’s skills and abilities in real life were reflected in their online persona.

Basically, the stronger, faster, or more fit a person was in real life, the better their online character performed.

Back in the early days of MMORPGs, it was usually the opposite—that the best players, by necessity, were the ones who spent nearly all of their free time playing the game, utilizing their brain power instead of getting out and exercising their bodies. Indeed, it had become something of a cliché, the fat pasty-faced nerd, sitting in the dark in his parent’s basement, playing on the computer. As the technology advanced, however, becoming more immersive, the social stigma and health issues of such a lifestyle become more pronounced, prompting players to try and find a happy medium between the physical and mental aspects of game playing.

As he neared the home stretch, Kyle began pushing himself, running flat out, working his muscles harder as he neared the goal. Many players in The Reality worked out, pushing their physical bodies to try to obtain the same perfect that their online personas enjoyed, but few took it to his level. As a teenager, he’d been... well, stout. Not fat, by any means, but stocky, with enough meat on his bones that when creating his first character, the tank-like Juggernaut had seemed a perfect fit. Big, strong, able to take a punch, able to absorb damage that would fell a lesser man, being able to shield another and keep them safe. At the time, it had seemed like the embodiment of true strength. Now, years later, he knew better.

True strength is being able to look after yourself, he thought furiously as, muscles burning, gasping for breath, he reached his goal, pulling to a stop in the driveway of his home once more. He glanced down at the chronokeeper around his wrist, and grinned. A new record. Taking a moment to stretch and cool down, he made his way back into his home. In the kitchen, he turned on the stove, set the automatic timer for ten minutes, and placed in his standard breakfast package before heading in to the bathroom. Slipping off his clothes, he indulged himself in a quick, brisk shower, letting the soap and water wash away the sweat and grime. Toweling off, he paused for a moment to appreciate himself in the mirror, clenching the muscles of his stomach, making his ‘six pack’ wriggle for a bit. Mindful of the time, however, he quickly dressed, pulling on a black t-shirt and matching black pants, running a comb through his hair, and arriving back in his kitchen just as the timer beeped.

Eating breakfast, he used a free hand to scroll through his tablet, checking his emails and announcements, noting any that were of interest. He made a mental note to check back in with his sponsor, Ethan, when logged off for the day, and update him on his current status. I’m pretty close to reaching level eighty. Maybe if I have a good workout session in the Hinterlands later... He chuckled slightly as he sifted through some of the messages for his Player Character account—a full day after his televised defeat of Marion in a duel, his popularity had grown by leaps and bounds.

Nice. I bet Marion is beside himself with anger at this. Beaten and humiliated publically by a ‘complete unknown’ had to hurt his reputation. I expect he’ll try and come up with a way to retaliate soon. Preparing to close it down, he paused, as one email in particular caught his eye, from the Lynx Guild. Opening it, he found it to be an invitation.

Dear Mister Shadowchaser,

Allow me to once again thank you for your timely intervention the other day. I meant it when I said that I owed you a great debt, and I never let a debt go unfilled. My loyal Lynx members and I would like to throw you a party in your honor. I’d be ever so pleased if you could attend! The celebration will begin at six PM, SRA. I promise, it will be a celebration to remember! Be there, or be square!

—H. Crayfellow, Guildmaster

Kyle laughed aloud at that. The Lynx Guild, and Honor herself, had something of a reputation as a bunch of partiers. A typical Lynx party would put the raunchiest, wildest, most outrageous college frat party to shame. He couldn’t even begin to imagine what their definition of a ‘celebration to remember’ would be like. His itinerary was a bit full today, but he decided to reply, saying that he would try and stop by, but not making any promises. Typical Lynx parties often lasted for several days as well, so if he didn’t show up tonight, he could always drop by the day after. Finally, after sorting through a few bills, making the appropriate payments, and sending back a reply to his patron, he slipped back into his bedroom, retrieved his neural interface, lay down on his bed, and logged in.

The breath exhaled from Kyle’s mouth was visible in the deep icy chill of the Hinterlands as he circled slowly around his prey, his nostrils flared, his senses sharp and focused, ready for the slightest sign of movement. His sword hung behind his back in its sheath, strapped down tightly to keep it in place; the simple dagger his clutched in his right hand was a bit of a handicap, but then again, he didn’t want things to be too easy. And, of course, the giant white furred yeti chieftain glaring at him across the field, the makeshift club made from the trunk of an overturned Silverwood tree, didn’t appear to be the type to pull his punches. They stared at each other for a long moment, neither moving a muscle, as the icy wind continued to blow and howl around them.

Then the yeti chieftain let out a loud howl, and, brandishing his club, charged forward.

Kyle stood his ground, waiting, counting the seconds in his head, his calm and still demeanor masking the rapid beating of his heart as his excitement and adrenaline-spiked blood rushed through him like river. This fight was a definite challenge—as well as the definite size and weight advantage the twelve foot tall heavily muscled yeti possessed, the Silverwood club he carried was doubly dangerous. As if the lethal poisonous effect were not enough, the sheer size and heft of the weapon meant that a single strike would not simply crush him, but completely obliterate his character, leaving behind only a bloody smear.

Best to avoid getting hit then, Kyle thought grimly, as the chieftain drew into range. Reversing the grip on his dagger, he charged, pushing himself forward with a sudden burst of speed, faster than any mere human could possibly move, sprinting towards the danger instead of away, which, as hoped, caused the Yeti to pause for a second in confusion. Only a second, and then the club came lashing down, but that second was all Kyle needed. Closing the distance, he ducked, moving underneath the huge panel of wood as it swung by, coming up inside the yeti’s range, lashing out at the beast’s arms as he passed, then again, catching the yeti’s lower thigh, cleaving a small gash into both.

Howling in pain and outrage, the yeti chieftain, whirled around again, swinging his club in a wild fury, waving it about like a person with a fly swatter trying to smash an annoying insect. The analogy wasn’t lost on Kyle, however, as a near miss scored the ground inches from him, leaving a deep uneven groove in the hard frozen permafrost. Another charge left more bloody grooves on the raging yeti, and despite the danger, Kyle felt a smile creasing his lips. This was what he lived for... the thrill of battle, the danger and peril of possible death, and pushing himself to the limit. Perhaps it was the werewolf in his makeup, pushing him to let go completely and give into his wild savage instincts, but he found himself toying with his opponent, passing several crippling or death strikes, content for the moment to simply enrage the creature more and prolong the contest.

A dangerous state of mind, to be sure. One slip, one mistake, one misstep, and he was done. The Hinterlands were among the toughest and most savage regions of The Reality, a place where very few ventured, and fewer still returned from in one piece. High level, high ranked monsters roamed in droves, and even someone as strong and skilled as Kyle could easily loose his life if he got in over his head. As he rushed forward, preparing for yet another strike, fate, it seemed, was prepared to make an object lesson. The patch of ground he was running across, already cracked, broken and uneven from the yeti’s missed attacks, shattered at his crossing, and his boot caught, causing him to trip.

Kyle gasped at the ground rushed up to meet him, and the yeti, sensing his moment, struck again, determined to end his annoyance in a final attack. His death imminent, no way out, he reacted instinctively, tapping into that forbidden part of himself kept always in reserve. Brown eyes glowed red, smooth tan skin grew rough and hairy, and his teeth narrowed and sharpened into fine points as a growl escaped his lips. In a sudden burst of strength and speed, Kyle leapt, twisting with unnatural agility in midair , dodging the deadly club, and using it as a springboard, launched himself at the giant’s face, raking the dagger across its eyes, blinding it.

With a screech, the Yeti chieftain dropped its club, raking at its face, lashing out vainly with its free hand. Taking a moment to collect himself, Kyle moved again, taking out the yeti’s legs, sending it to the ground. Now, with his opponent down and finally helpless, he was able to apply a finishing move, and decapitated the beast in a wide spray of blood and gore. Panting, still caught up in the adrenaline high, he glanced aside wildly, wary for another enemy, someone else to attack, before the moment passed, and his reason once again overcame his animal instincts. With an effort, he willed the wolf inside him away, regaining his full human persona once more.

Damn... I lost myself to it again, he grumbled inwardly. Looks like I need more practice in controlling that side of my nature. Straightening up, he cleaned the ichor from his blade before sheathing it again. I can see how a less restrained character could lose himself to the rush of their werewolf side. Maybe old man Kormak was justified in his one-man crusade after all. Sighing, his shook his head. No. Just because some players couldn’t resist the call of the wild side doesn’t mean others couldn’t learn to control it. His personal hang-ups don’t give him the right to try and exterminate an entire species.

A loud beeping caught his attention, and he glanced down at the interface on his wrist, opening the main menu. The fight with that yeti had pushed him up to the next level, opening a new set of skills. Scrolling through the menu, nodding to himself as he moved past the unimportant data, he paused as he found the one he had been hoping for. He laughed aloud, shaking his head in disbelief. “Finally!” he chuckled. “Almost an entire year leveling up here, and it finally becomes available. The entire reason for adopting this class! Maybe the goal I set for myself is possible after all...”

A loud lupine howl called out from far afield from one of the tree lined peaks, and grinning, he answered in kind. Hollowclaw. Of course he’d know I was in his territory... probably knew the moment I arrived in the Hinterlands. I should probably go and say ‘hi’, pay my respects... but I have to get back to civilization soon and I need to check in at the Schoolmance before I leave. He tapped his item menu briefly, then grinned, confirming that he had remembered the gift he’d picked up earlier. A single tap, and the gold and emerald necklace he’d recovered from his last quest dropped lightly into his hand.

Maybe I’m just a bit overly sympathetic, getting so attached to an NPA, he mused, heading towards the hidden cove near the northern end, but she means a lot to me. Heck, I probably wouldn’t be the person I am today if not for her.

* * *

“Wait here,” the black clad guard stated, heading deeper into the fortress, leaving Marion alone in the audience chamber. Truth be told, he was more than a little anxious about this meeting. East Greywind, leader of the assassin troupe known as DEATH was an intimidating figure in and of itself. It took a lot of drive and skill to make a living as an assassin in this world. Only the best were allowed to join DEATH’s guild, and their leader, East, was the best of the best of the best.

And East Greywind didn’t like him much.

“Well, well, well,” the familiar dry raspy voice spoke as the man himself stepped into view, silent as a shadow, despite the armor and various knives and daggers concealed about his person. “Look what the cat dragged in. One real bastard of a Bastard Knight.” He shook his head ruefully. “I’ve got to hand it to you, Marion... you’ve got balls to come here after the last time we crossed paths. Tell me why I shouldn’t simply eviscerate you here and now, and take my time peeling the flesh from your bones?”

Despite himself, Marion shuddered. “Er, I have a proposition for you. A business proposition. And I’m willing to pay handsomely.” He tapped a key on his menu, and a large chest filled with gold coins appeared. Grey glanced at the chest, eyebrow raised slightly.

“Okay, you have my attention. Name your terms.”

“I’d like you to eliminate someone for me... an insignificant pest that has disrupted my plans once too often. " Marion scowled in distaste. “He is an insect, a mere flea... and normally, I would handle it myself, but I have other pressing matters that need attending to, and I cannot afford to be distracted right now.”

“Uh huh,” Grey replied, smirking, drawing a dagger form its sheath, running his thumb idly along the point. “And this pest... this ‘insect’... it wouldn’t happen to be the man who quartered you in a duel in the Netwide broadcast two days ago, would it?” Marion’s sharp glance confirmed it. Grey chuckled. “So... apparently the ‘insect’ has a pretty powerful sting, eh, Marion?” With a flip of his wrist, the dagger vanished, as if in thin air. “Any specifics on how you want it done?”

“Only that it hurt,” Marion replied with a savage grin, “something slow and painful. Other than that... feel free to be as creative as you like.”

“Hmph. Fair enough.” Grey glanced behind him at the shadows of the portal archway. “So, who wants the job?”

“Sounds easy enough. I’ll take it,” a young dark haired woman with a red bandana covering the bottom of her face, replied, stepping out of the shadows. She walked over to the chest, kneeling down, accessing it through her online menu. “Hmmm... three hundred thousand gold? You must really want this guy out of your way.”

Marion scowled at Grey. “You... you’re not taking the job yourself?” he sputtered in outrage. “I’m offering you a fortune here, and you’re delegating it to one of your minions?” The girl jerked up sharply at the insult, but Grey merely held up a hand.

“Call it the privilege of being the man in charge,” Grey replied evenly. “Leila is more than capable of fulfilling the contract. As for the amount of money you’re offering, think of it as the price of doing business... and insurance that I don’t change my mind and simply kill you before you make it out of my guild hall! Now leave us. We have work to do.” Grumbling loudly, Marion took his leave.

“Well... that was more enjoyable that I thought it would be,” Grey said with a smirk. “So, Leila... about the mark. Are you sure you want to take this one on? This kid is pretty good. He did manage to quarter Marion easily, and that guy is no pushover.”

“I know. I saw the feed. And that’s why I want to take the job,” she said with a grin. “The challenge! I want to test my skills against a dangerous opponent. Besides, it will be good practice for the tournament.”

“Indeed,” Grey replied with a nod, his long black braid landing idly on his shoulder. “You are one of my best students after all. I expect you to do well, to at least make it to the semifinals.”

“Semifinals?” she replied with a wicked grin, drawing a dagger, twirling it lightly with one finger before sliding it back in its sheath. “I plan on making it all the way and challenging you in the finals! And after I beat you, maybe I’ll let you be my second in command!”

Grey laughed heartily. “Still think you can take the old man, eh, kid?” he replied with a grin. “You’re certainly welcome to try. Just remember, student of mine or no, guild member or no, once you challenge me, there will be no mercy, no time out, no quarter given—”

“And no quarter asked,” Leila finished with a nod. “I wouldn’t have it any other way, Sir. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’d better get prepared to depart.” Grey nodded simply, then watched as his young protégé departed. After a moment, he spoke over his shoulder. “So, what do you think, Falithe?”

An instant later, the small, thin redheaded beauty appeared at his side. “What do I think?” she asked, her voice both amused and irritated at the same time. “I think she’s an arrogant, overconfident little snot. And I think you’re encouraging her irreverent behavior.” She sighed softly, pressing up enticingly against her leader’s shoulder. “I used to think she wanted to take my place as your second-in-command, but now I see she wants to take YOUR place!“

“Now, now, no need to be jealous,” he chuckled. “Leila is young and headstrong, full of piss and vinegar.. a lot like you were before you matured. Give her some time and she’ll settle into role. She has a lot of potential, and I merely want to see what she does with it. And this Shadowchaser should be a good test.”

“And if she fails the test?” Falithe prompted, leaning forward to trace a blood red fingernail lightly along her lover’s facial tattoo.

“If she fails?” he repeated, shrugging. “Well, there are plenty of other promising candidates out there, you know.” He grinned, pulling her right against, enjoying the feel of her ample bosom on his chest. “And somehow, I doubt Marion would come back here again to demand a refund.”

* * *

“Nora! Now!” Rald yelled, charging forward, “Boost my defense!”

“Y-yeah, okay,” she said, frowning, gripping her staff in sweaty nervous hands. “Boosting your, um, defense, now!” A soft pale blue glow emanated from her staff, and a subtle flash of light illuminated the combatants. She let out a soft sigh of relief that the spell went off without a hitch this time.

“Dammit!” Rald grunted, stepping back after exchanging blows with the other guild member. “Nora. You raised BOTH of our defenses up. I’m not taking any damage, but I can’t damage him either!”

“Oops! Sorry! I’m sorry!” she apologized, blushing fiercely, banishing the spell. She groaned inwardly. Come on, Nora. You can do this! You’re just practicing... there’s no reason to be so nervous! Taking a steadying breath, she closed her eyes and tried the spell again.

“Okay. Good. You just got me this time,” Rald replied, flexing his arm a bit. “Shall we go back and try it again from the top, or do you think you’re ready for something more advanced?”

“Um... could we maybe try it... one more time?” she asked timidly. The other participants let out an audible groan.

“Okay, everyone, let’s take a break,” Anadriel announced, stepping into the field. Passing Rald, she glanced at him, and he sighed shaking his head. Nodding in response, she continued on to her cousin, who continued to stare down at her feet. “So... tough day so far?” Anadriel prompted.

“I’m hopeless,” she moaned, leaning against her staff. “I just can’t seem to get it right! Everyone hates me for having to do these drills over and over again.” She sighed heavily, resisting the urge to break into tears. “I didn’t think it would be this hard. I mean, I’ve seen you guys do this stuff all the time...and I know my spells well enough, I’ve practiced them a few million times... but doing them in the heat of battle, with everyone moving around all over the place...” She shook her head. “I just can’t... I don’t think I’ll ever get the hang of this.”

“You can do this, Nora,” her cousin said, squeezing her shoulder gently. “Everyone struggles at first. It just takes some getting used to. The thing to remember is that when all is said and done, this is all just a game. If you mess up, it’s not the end of the world. There’s no reason to be so anxious.”

“Well, I beg to disagree,” Kyle replied nonchalantly, walking onto the field, causing both females to turn. “This might be VR, but this isn’t just a game. Our characters might just be avatars of our real selves, but they still feel pain.” He stared at them both with a serious expression. “When a character is defeated, they ‘pass out’, turning into a flame icon until they respawn... but when a character actually dies, they’re gone. Everything they did, everything they accomplished, is gone for good. They have to start over from the beginning. So yeah, I think there IS a little reason to be concerned.“

“Kyle!” Anadriel scowled, glaring. “Why did you say all of that? I was trying to comfort her! She’s having enough trouble getting used to things as it without you making it a thousand times worse!”

“I’m not trying to make it worse,” he said, turning to face Nora. “I’m just putting it into proper perspective. The Reality isn’t for the faint of heart. You’ve already experienced the darker side of the world as it is. This place can be fun. It can be a wonderful experience. But you can’t take it lightly. If you do, you will not only let yourself down, but everyone who depends on you.” Nora sighed, looking down, but Kyle took her chin gently, lifting her gaze back to his. “With all that in mind, Nora... relax. You can do this. I know you can. Heck, you’re already better at this than I was when I first started out.” He grinned, mussing her hair.

“Ugghhnnn! Cut it out!” Nora yelled, jerking away, running her hands through her hair. “I hate it when people mess with my hair like that!”

“Sorry. But, tell me, do you feel a bit better now?” Kyle asked, smirking.

Nora blinked. As a matter of fact... she did. Everything Kyle had said made sense. The Reality was a game... but it was also more. Her fears and anxiety weren’t unfounded—she was right to be nervous. And yet... she couldn’t let her fears hold her back. And, while she doubted that Kyle had EVER been as hopeless as she was right now, the fact that even HE had been a rookie once, just starting out, making mistakes just like her, helped her feel better about her own predicament. He’s right. If he can become so powerful after starting off as weak as me, then there’s hope for me yet!

“Yeah. I do feel better,” she said, giving him a real smile this time. “Thank you, Kyle. You’ve given me something to shoot for.”

Anadriel bit her lip hard, feeling a wave of jealousy spike deep within her... jealous that Kyle was paying attention to her cousin instead of her? Or that Nora was actually flirting back with him? Growling in frustration, she channeled her annoyance into anger instead. “Well, Kyle, if you’re done socializing,” she spat, crossing her arms, “perhaps you’d care to explain why you took it upon yourself to trespass into our hall and interrupt our practice?“

Trespass? Hmm... someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Kyle thought dimly. “What? Can’t an old friend come by and check up on another old friend unannounced?” he queried, eyebrow lifted. “Anyway, I thought I might share a bit of information I’d come across about our ‘friend’ Marion, and what he’s been up to.“

That got her attention. “Really? Is it something concrete, or just more rumors and postulation?”

Kyle considered. “I guess it depends on what you mean by concrete. A friend of mine with the gift of Foresight passed on a prophecy she’d recently uncovered. Without getting into it too deeply, it seems to match up pretty well with current events. Marion’s big play here is to sweep the Obelisk Cup tournament in a few weeks and dethrone the entire Pantheon, with him and his team of cutthroats taking over the top spot.”

“Hmph. A pipe dream, that,” Anadriel scoffed. “He might as well aspire to revive the dragons of old and take his place among the gods themselves.”

Kyle started slightly at the mention of gods and dragons, but held his cool. “Pipe dream or not, he actually has a chance of pulling it off. And Nora,” he stated, turning to point at the Healer, “is the key.”

“What? Me?” the young blonde jerked in surprise. “Th... that’s crazy! I’m nothing... a nobody! Yes, I’m a Healer, but I’m just starting out! I just recently completed the Proving Grounds as part of a group, and they did all the heavy lifting. I’m only at level 20! And, in case you didn’t notice earlier, I stink at this! There’s no way I would be anything more than a distraction in a real competition.”

“Not necessarily,” Kyle pointed out. ”With a strong enough party protecting you, you could partake in a few high level quests and level up dramatically in just a few weeks time. Maybe not as high as the other members of your party, but enough to be a potent and valuable ally, enough to truly make Marion and his team unbeatable.”

Nora turned up her nose. “Huh! As if I’d work together with that creep anyway! After trying to kidnap me, twice, and force me to be on his team... I wouldn’t help Marion if my life depended on it!”

“And that’s the thing.” Anadriel added, her frustration showing. “Marion must know that Nora would never willingly work for him. So why bother even going through the trouble of taking her anyway?”

“Because he has an ace in the hole,” Kyle replied wearily. He hadn’t wanted to broach this particular subject just yet, but there seemed no way around it. He needed Dri to take this threat seriously. “Mind control,” he continued a moment later. “A very rare, very specialized form of magic that exists in this world. When Viridian Sun went after Nora the first time, the captain in charge used it on several of his subordinates when they balked at attacking a helpless defenseless girl en masse.”

“Mind control? Really?” Dri snorted. “You expect me to believe that?”

“It’s true. Nora saw it too,” Kyle said, turning to face the young Healer. Staring her straight in the eye, he nodded. “Tell her.”

“It’s true,” Nora replied instantly, the words all but tumbling out. “The captain, he said something... some kind of guttural language I’d never heard before, and the mage and the archer just... they stiffened like and responded like robots or something!” She shuddered in remembrance. “It was totally weird.”

Anadriel’s scowl deepened. “And you’re only now just mentioning this?” she demanded of her cousin, arms crossed at her chest.

“I asked her not to say anything about it,” Kyle answered, going to the girl’s defense. “Not that I thought you’d believe her anyway, but I thought spreading the news about the Viridian Sun’s newly acquired powers would only make her a target and put her in more danger.” He shrugged. “Of course, since the Suns are after her specifically, I guess it’s all a moot point anyway.”

“Mind control,” Anadriel mused softly, considering. Finally, she shook her head. “This will require some thought. I’ll need to confer with my most trusted advisors on how to deal with this threat. I’ll also need to inform the Pantheon as to the specific cause of this threat against us.”

“Already taken care of,” Kyle replied with a smirk. “I spoke to Stein shortly before coming to see you. He’s likely already at work on a strategy on how best to deal with Marion once and for all. But I’m not so sure about you going to your advisors with this. We talked just yesterday about the possible traitors within your midst, members whose loyalty has changed to the Viridian Sun’s cause. If one of your ‘most trusted’ turns out to be a traitor, then you’ll have exposed your hand and made yourself a target as well.”

So he does care, she thought with a smirk. Aloud, feigning contempt, she replied, “Ah, Kyle. Still trying to protect me even after all this time. But I don’t need you to protect me anymore. I’m more than capable of looking after myself. And while I appreciate the warning, I must insist that you leave the matter us to me, and trust in my judgment.” Kyle stared at her hard for several moments before sighing heavily and nodding.

“All right then. If that’s how you feel, I’ll leave it up to you,” he replied turning on his heel. “I have other business to attend to myself. That lovely young Seripin I saved at the conference the other day, the Guildmaster of the Lynx—Honor, I believe—invited me to a party in my honor later tonight. I promised to make an appearance.” Walking back to the entrance to the hall, he paused to add, “You know how Lynx parties are. Feel free to stop by if you’re in the neighborhood.” With that, he stepped through and disappeared.

Anadriel glared after him for several seconds, her fists clenched in a fury she didn’t quite understand. Why was she so upset? It was no bother to her is Kyle wanted to spend time with that... that.. stupid airheaded cat-girl bimbo! No bother to her at all! Still... it was all she could do to keep from screaming in frustration.

“Dri... why do you do that?” Nora asked suddenly, breaking through her thoughts. Anadriel turned, surprised, nearly forgetting that she wasn’t alone. Her cousin stared at her intently, causing a deep blush to color her cheeks.

“I... don’t... what do you mean?” Anadriel asked, averting her gaze, “Do what??”

“Why do you act like you don’t like Kyle,” she asked, crossing her arms at her chest, mimicking her older cousin’s pose. “Why do you go out of your way to act aloof and cold to him, then act all flustered and upset when he walks away from your rebuff? If you like him, you should just tell him flat out.”

The blonde elf’s mouth opened and closed several times, trying to find the words to respond. “Nora... you... you’re crazy,” she said finally, turning away. “I do not like Kyle... not THAT way. He’s just a... a friend, a former comrade in arms, that’s all. I have... no romantic feelings for him at all... not even slightly,” she insisted, the last part more to convince herself than Nora. Truthfully, her feelings about Kyle were... confusing. She hadn’t thought about him once since the day she’d left him behind at the Proving Grounds, several years earlier. When he’d first showed up escorting Nora back home, she’d actually felt annoyance at his return, as if a bad part of her life best forgotten had suddenly reappeared and been thrust right up into her face once more.

And then... then he’d appeared at the meeting between her Guild and the Lynx, just in the nick of time, before the Viridian assassins could make good on their threat. She’d watched him in action, easily dispatching other fighters with a skill and prowess that she would have thought beyond him, moving with a quiet grace and ease that belied just how little effort he was actually expending. The emotional, simpering lovestruck little ‘meatshield’ she’d known all those years ago had grown up into a calm, cool, and collected badass! And... god help her, but she’d felt a flutter between her thighs she had never felt before.

But... that wasn’t the same thing as love! Far from it. And she’d be damned if she was going to go crawling after HIM, playing the part of the simpering lovestruck little puppy nipping at HIS heels!

Nora, for her part, said nothing. She was actually struggling with her own feelings about the enigmatic Kyle Shadowchaser. On the one hand, she had to admit that she didn’t know him very well at all. He was paranoid, closed, introverted. He had secrets that he wasn’t sharing, and she was convinced that he knew more about current events than he was letting on. On the other hand... he also seemed every bit the good guy, the heroic figure that she thought him to me. Again and again, he’d gone out of his way to help them, even coming back to warn Anadriel about the Viridian Sun’s plan, despite having no allegiance to them at all.

Could it be that he’s... concerned about me? she thought, blushing hotly at the idea. No. No way...its Dri that he’s making all this trips to see, not me. But... she says it’s not romantic, that she has no interest in him... that they were only ‘friends’, and former comrades. And with the way she keeps brushing him off, I can’t imagine them being good enough friends for him to continue putting up with her abuse. So... maybe he IS coming by to check up on me... maybe.

“Nora!” Anadriel barked, startling out of her inner monologue. “I said come on. We need to hold an emergency meeting. I want you there with me when I speak to my advisory staff.”

“Of course, Guildmaster,” she said formally, following her cousin out into the grand hall.