The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Psionics Special Investigations

Chapter 12: Operation Manhunt

I looked upon the establishment with something akin to…disgust.

‘Susan!’ Gloria’s outburst was completely unjustified, I was well within my rights to be disgusted by a den of depravity such as this…PoppyRose.

‘The name is just two flowers smashed together. God, can you say “I’m a lesbian fuck club” any louder?’

‘Monica! Please, both of you! We’re not here to judge, we’re to help! Willow came to us in tears! Her friend has been taken and she believes it’s all her fault. Surely we can pull together an ounce of sympathy, if not empathy!’ Monica and I shared a…well it wasn’t an actual look. She’s my boob, I’m not gonna take her out and give her a meaningful look, but we did have a mutual experienced understanding between the two of us. This was for Wend- Willow, and we were gonna see it through.

“T-this is the place…” Speaking of whom… Wendy looked incredibly nervous, like…well like a kid sister showing her secret porn stash to her older sibling…who worked in law enforcement. Only this wasn’t just a secret porno folder hidden on her laptop, it was a full on brothel. It took some tremendous courage for her to be here with me at all. So, I was going to do what Monica suggested and scrounge up all the empathy I could muster.

“PoppyRose, that name sounds familiar. Wheels you got anything?” I said into my mic. The rest of the team was nearby in the van, minus Veronica obviously. Constance didn’t want me on this mission, it’s the textbook definition of being too close to a case, but Wendy came to me. Came in tears to me. I wasn’t sitting this out no matter what, and Constance knew that she’d be able to safeguard me better if she could see me.

“Mm…” Butters affirmed solemnly, “Reports of influencing guests illegally a few years back… Identity theft… Nothing recently.” I rolled my eyes, great this place had a history, what was Wendy thinking?

‘HAD a history Susan, you heard as well as I that there’s nothing illicit going on now.’

‘No, we heard that there’s nothing illicit REPORTED now. I’m not saying that we go in there in full SWAT gear, but we can’t really afford to look at things so optimistically. Right?’ Gloria hesitated a moment, but we all knew she was thinking Monica had a point. The situation was screwed up certainly, and while we’d like to have the latitude to give our fellow human beings the benefit of the doubt, it just paid to be safe.

‘Fine, but we don’t need to treat them like criminals either. We have an in, Willow is, by her own admission, a regular here, so playing good cop for a bit can be beneficial for everyone.’ Right, good cop… Well, I’d give it a try at least, but ‘good cop’ wasn’t exactly my strong suit. Gloria was right though, we did have an in, it was why Willow was here in the first place, and thus why I was allowed within 1,000 miles of this case.

“Understood. Thanks Wheels, if you find anything relevant, let me know.”

“Mm…”

“Okay Willow,” I said, trying to sound soft and understanding. Willow flinched, refusing to look me in the eye. Sheesh, I know it’s embarrassing but we’re both adults here, honestly this whole skittish act seemed really out of character for my usually brash little sister. “Let’s go inside…if you’re ready. Don’t worry, nothing will hurt you as long as I’m—“

“Oh my god Susan stop.” Willow said, pushing the nerves out of her voice with brash force. “I’m not a child, and I’m far more capable of handling myself here than you are.” Well, that was…better? She looked a little flush, was she angry with me? I can never read her!

‘She’s scared Susan, let her take refuge in the familiar for a time. Let her feel some of the control that was taken from her.’

‘If she was really so capable she wouldn’t need us in the first place…’ I sighed, sometimes being of 3 minds about something was a real pain.

“Okay…follow me,” I said, entering the club. Willow did hesitate for all her bravado, but proceeded inside regardless, her all black ensemble disappearing behind the rose decorated door behind me as I flashed a signal to the nondescript white van parked nearby. Willow’s little black dress looked right for clubbing, if a little gothy with her full make up and everything, honestly you’d NEVER catch me wearing something like that…but what I was wearing, my office casual blouse, blazer, and skirt combo… Well, it wasn’t exactly a great disguise. I might as well have just worn my badge. There wasn’t any hiding what I was here to do, so subtlety was not going to be my plan of attack. Luckily I always have a backup that tends to work well enough. Attack.

‘Good cop Susan…’

As soon as I was in the door I was in cop mode, staring down the muscular door woman with the frosted tips as though daring her to try to bar me from entry. She looked from Willow to me, eyes wide with shock. It made sense, Willow had been coming here for awhile now, finding out that she had a sister in PSI was probably the last thing this person expected. Her hesitation was all the invitation I needed to step through into the club proper, she didn’t even try to stop me. Willow hurried along behind, scrambling to keep up.

“What are you doing? Aren’t you going to ask Kris any questions?” Willow hissed, looking back at the still agog door woman…Kris evidently.

“Probably later, first I need to introduce myself to the owner and let her know this is an official PSI investigation,” I said, feeling unusually warm for some reason. My skirt and blouse had felt fine just a minute ago but now…now they rubbed at me all wrong. I kinda wanted to take them off…

‘Blanket Susie. Fists up!’ I nodded, that made sense, a brothel like this would want to reduce the inhibitions of their patrons, give them desires that would make them easier to fleece a few extra bucks out of. I hardened my shield and the sensations of heat and a desire to disrobe went away. A Psionic blanket would keep soaking through the shield if I let it though, I needed to get the staff to turn it off. They wouldn’t be making any more money tonight anyway. I could already see the patrons turning toward me, reacting to my presence. First with sexual interest, then they noticed what I was wearing, how I carried myself, the look in my eyes. Suddenly they seemed real interested in packing up whatever it was that they brought in with them and inching their way closer to the exit, or wait for me to vacate. I stood right where I was, there wasn’t any need to go looking for the manager, they’d be coming to me.

I looked at Willow, who was making a huge effort to not look in my direction right now. Her cheeks were flushed and she looked a little wobbly on her feet. The Blanket was obviously affecting her too. Monica was covering me, so I extended Gloria out toward Willow, covering her mind with a little protection. Suddenly, Willow gasped and turned toward me.

“What do you think you’re doing? I don’t need your protection! Get…get it off me right now!” she panted, her face really, really red. Was she that embarrassed? She could’ve waited in the van, she was the one who absolutely insisted on coming with to help sort out any altered memories.

“You just looked a little flushed is all,” I sighed, bringing Gloria back. Willow’s eyes widened instantly and she spun 180 degrees around to stare in the exact opposite direction.

“That’s…th- Uh, that’s just because you’re so embarrassing. Barging in here like you own the place. Just waving around your authority and how tall you are and… Aren’t we going to find Vanessa? We’re just standing here…”

“She’ll find us.” First name basis with the owner? Willow was way too comfortable in this place, who knew how much money they were scamming from her. “Is that her now?” I asked, pointing to a short, beautiful, and very finely dressed woman hurrying over toward us with two other much larger women in tow. When she spotted us her jaw dropped so low I wouldn’t be surprised if it fell right off her face and hit the floor.

‘Be nice…’

‘Don’t let her walk all over you. Tough but fair. This Blanket is straddling legal limits as it is.’

“T-that’s her…” Willow replied, sounding like a child about to introduce their cringey mother to their school friends. That was rude, I am not a cringey mother!

‘Well…’

‘You can give off that vibe where Wendy is concerned Susie…’ I scoffed then started to make my way toward the Madame of this establishment.

“You in charge here?” I asked, ignoring Wendy’s audible groan behind me, as well as Gloria’s audible groan inside me.

“I… Yes, I’m… Vanessa Bombey.” She looked behind me at Wendy with a questioning glance. Yeah that’s right, your little target has a big sister in law enforcement, your free meals are officially done!

“My name is Susan Tanner, I’m—“

“Oh trust me Susan I know who you are,” Vanessa interrupted, still looking at Wendy, eyes widening a little. I blinked, she did? That was a bit surprising. Wendy groaned again.

“Then you know I’m with the Psionic Special Investigations division currently based here. I’ve been informed that someone at your establishment has been using Psionic abilities illegally and is involved in the mind alteration and kidnapping of a civilian.” Vanessa blinked hard then finally turned to look at me. I gave her a cold stare.

‘Please Susan GOOD cop…’ This WAS my good cop!

“That’s quite the accusation. I assure you I run a legitimate business. This is the first I’m hearing of something like that!”

“A-actually Vanessa… It isn’t.” Wendy stepped toward Vanessa, who looked at her like she’d sprouted a second head.

“Last night…do you remember my chaperone?”

“You didn’t come in here with a chaperone Willow…” Not a hint of doubt in her voice, nor even a light glaze to the eye, nothing to indicate that Miss Bombey…Vanessa thought anything suspicious had happened last night. Psionics were truly terrifying sometimes.

“And yet you let me see Sylvia?” Now who the hell was Sylvia?

“I did. You looked like you…” Vanessa turned toward me, then looked around. “Perhaps this is a conversation better had in my office?”

“I agree,” I said, placing myself firmly between Vanessa and Wendy. Vanessa looked amused by that, which just ticked me off. There was something going on in this place with Wendy that I wasn’t privy to. I was missing out on a lot of context, and I needed to find out what it was. “Take down the Blanket you have up, I’ll consider any Psionic manipulation a hostile action.” Vanessa blinked, then frowned, putting her back up, she didn’t seem to like being bullied.

“Now see here officer, this is MY place of business. I’ve given you a lot of leeway thus far because you’re Willow’s sister, but don’t think I’m just going to roll over for whatever you want. I have a right to my business, and I have a right to toss you out unless you have a warrant. The literal only reason I don’t is because of that young woman behind you. So, let’s remain a bit cordial shall we?” There was DEFINITELY some context here that I was missing. Now I was getting mad, these people were hiding something from me, something about my sister, who came to me IN TEARS after her friend was kidnapped from this place! And this woman wanted to play with legal loopholes? Good cop could take a hike. I could see Vanessa shrinking back already as I took a step forward, threateningly. Both bodyguards looked ready to intervene, but they were very unsure of themselves, hesitant, I could have them both asleep at my feet before they thought to surround me and overwhelm my barrier. They couldn’t take me. They couldn’t even keep my sister safe.

“Susan…” my sister’s soft, pleading voice snapped me out of my rage fugue and I turned toward her, she looked to be on the verge of tears again. “Please… The Blanket doesn’t go into her office. We can talk there…” Damn it… This is why you don’t go on missions you’re emotionally invested in.

‘Cooler heads will prevail here Susan. From what Willow told us the Madame is as much a victim as anyone else.’

“I apologize ma’am,” I said, taking a step back and relaxing my posture, I’d been tense ever since I stepped foot in this place. “Lead the way, I think once we’re all on the same page things will make a lot more sense. I have reason to suspect that you and a few of your staff have had your memories Psionically altered, and an innocent is in danger. A friend of my sister. That is why I’m here, the only reason I’m here, I don’t mean to come after you or your business.” Vanessa turned toward Willow. Damn it, I came in too hot, now I needed Willow to vouch for me?

‘Emotional investment is bad Susie. I thought you already learned that lesson.’

“Willow,” Vanessa’s voice was remarkably soft, reassuring even. “Are you sure about this?”

“Yes.” Vanessa sighed, and gestured for us to follow her toward the back. As we started to head to her office I held back a little, waiting for the bodyguards, and Miss Bombey herself just in case, to pass outside of my field of psychic perception. I looked backward toward the exit, orienting myself as to where the building was in relation to the street, then fired a Dart toward the van my allies were currently waiting in.

‘BACKGROUND CHECK. VANESSA BOMBEY.’

I gave it enough juice to get there, my psionic fist passed out of my field of perception and hopefully smacked the right person upside the head. A little quick and dirty to be sure, but I didn’t trust anyone in this building, especially not the owner with the altered memory. It meant that I arrived last into the small but richly decorated room in the back, but no one seemed to have noticed what I did.

True to Willow’s word, once inside the Madame’s office I could feel the Blanket disappear. The subtle compulsion to relax and let my body become aroused while taking off some suddenly warm clothes disappeared from the outside of my shield. Tentatively, I relaxed my shield a bit, letting it go soft as I scanned my mind for any continued influence.

‘All good on this end Susie.’

‘I’m not seeing anything either, but these things can be tricky. We’ll keep an eye open for any abnormal behavior, but you should be okay to relax.’

Good, keeping a shield hardened is like keeping a muscle tense. Good for a little bit but it can lead to some painful consequences if you tense it for too long. They didn’t make Aspirin that could handle THAT kind of headache…

“I truly never thought this day would come…” Vanessa said as the door behind me was closed by one of the bodyguards, a tall woman with long black hair and faintly Oriental features. Willow’s gaze swung toward her nervously, someone she recognized? “Why don’t you tell me everything starting from the beginning?”

“Of course—“ I started to say, only to be cut off by Vanessa immediately.

“I’m sorry Officer, but I’d like for Willow to be the one to explain. There are certain…sensitive issues here that I would prefer not to disclose unless absolutely necessary. Willow will be able to tell me everything pertinent, while allowing me to keep my clients’ secrets. Willow? If you would…,” Vanessa said, looking at me cooly before turning to look warmly at Willow who took a seat, and a deep breath.

‘Susan I think Vanessa is…fond of Willow,’ Gloria said, almost as though she were TRYING to make me lose my cool! ‘Look at the way she treats her, looks at her, gives her space. She’s on friendly terms with Willow, trusts her. We need to keep that in mind.’

‘She could still be manipulating Willow…but she’s a really great actress if she is. Best to let Wendy handle the recap Susie. Bombey will accept her word more readily than ours.’ I suppressed a sigh, but swallowed my pride, and my tongue, and stepped back, letting Willow tell the story. It was pretty much the same story she told me…only the details were much sharper. She came here, with Katelyn Young, exactly as she’d told me and my team, but she neglected to tell us that Miss Young was taken here as a chaperone. Kris, the door guard, let them in, and she booked an appointment with Sylvia. I was dying to know the exact details about all of it, but even with these extra details Willow was still being vague. Protecting the employees here? From me? As if I’d do anything!

‘She doesn’t know what you’d do…and you certainly felt ready to do something earlier.’

‘We don’t know if there’s anything we’d be legally obligated to do either. It’s hard to take that risk for someone like Vanessa.’ I remained quiet…

She skipped over what she did with Sylvia, but Vanessa seemed to already know, so that was again information kept strictly out of my hands. The important bit was her describing the assailant, which Willow seemed to describe in as much detail as she did with us back at the field HQ. Seeing Katelyn with someone dressed…flamboyantly, even for this place. Her concern… Telling the Madame, Vanessa, hiding as Vanessa sent Ami over. The large Oriental guard looked quite surprised by this. The fear she felt as the kidnapper made her way over and used a pocketwatch of all things to effortlessly overwhelm Miss Bombey, a Grade 3, and erase all memory of Katelyn Young ever entering the building. The desperation as she forced herself to calm down and ran out to Kris to ask where they went, only for Kris to have no recollection of Katelyn or the mysterious hypnotist. Finally, a mixture of fear and grief that degraded Willow into a desperate sobbing mess as she ran outside looking around desperately for them, before making her way to her sister…to me.

Vanessa listened to the whole story in silence, unmoving except when she took some tissues out of her desk and handed them to a misty-eyed Willow, voice cracking. My hand was balled into a white fist and I had to strain to release it. Hearing the whole story again, of some unrepentant criminal galivanting about in a direct flouting of the law, throwing around unreal power without any regard for those around her…for my sister nearby.

‘Calm down Susie! She isn’t here now, save it for when we track her down!’ Monica said, exuding the same level of anger I was feeling.

“Well…that explains…” Vanessa turned toward me briefly as she spoke, her voice calm and gentle. “…a lot. What can I do to help? You’ll have my full support. I can arrange for speaking to the witnesses, such that they are, any relevant camera footage is at your disposal, and I am willing to provide Psionic testimony for you as well.” I let out a laugh.

“Full support hmm? That’s a lot of qualifiers for FULL support. Relevant camera footage? Who decides what’s relevant? YOU’LL provide the Psionic testimony? I assume that means we can’t dive into your head and just find out the information for ourselves.”

“That’s right,” Vanessa said, back straight. “I still have secrets I am obligated to protect, missing girl or no you have no right to go rooting around in my employees’ minds, or mine for that matter, without our consent. There are privacy issues, personal and professional to consider.”

“You did just hear what was said right? That someone, a single person, just took you and all your employees for a ride. You don’t want to do everything in your power to get them back?”

“You’re right Susan, I DID hear all that was said, I also heard what WASN’T said. So yes, I’ll do everything in my power to help, but I won’t allow you to define what that means. I will decide what information is relevant and what isn’t. Tell me what you need and I will get it, but I won’t give you anything further. My customers trust me, and I won’t break that trust, even if you ask.”

“That trust is already broken! You’re compromised, you have no idea what she could’ve put in your head. For all I know this is part of the programming she installed in you, to keep her secrets safe. You could know exactly where she is, and never tell…”

“Susan…” I winced…my voice had started to raise and Willow’s soft tones, distorted by her slight sniffling, had made me realize just how loud I was being. “Vanessa… You’re both trying to protect me, but right now I just want to help Katelyn… I put her in this mess. I’m responsible. So I’ll go with Susan and identify the woman who kidnapped her. That’s what you wanted anyway right Susan? You wanted to go into someone’s mind to get a feel for what she sounds like, how she looks? I saw her, I heard her. I…I was the closest to her without having my memory affected. I can identify her.”

“Absolutely not!” Vanessa and I shouted in one voice, Vanessa rising up out of her desk chair. We looked at each other, temporary allies in circumstance, before focusing on Willow.

“Wen- Willow you cannot come with me on a mission,” I said, trying, very hard to keep my voice calm…or at least calm-adjacent. “Hell, I don’t even know if I can come on this mission! I’m just here to get information with you, but my team will likely not be allowed to participate, or if they are not with me. I’m…well I’m too close to it. Too emotionally invested.”

“No, you have to be the one Susan!” Willow said, eyes looking up at me fiercely, tears fading but still visible in her shining blue eyes…so warm and so blue, a mirror of my own. “I…I won’t help anyone else. You have to do it. I need you…”

“Why me? There are plenty of capable field officers at PSI I’m not the only one out there you know.”

“Because you’re Mary Sue…” Willow said softly, smiling at me. For once it felt like her using that nickname wasn’t an insult…but compliment, perhaps even something very dear to her. “You can do anything.” Why was she suddenly being so nice to me? She’d never said anything like that before.

‘People are complex Susan. Sisters especially so.’

“Think about your friend…” Vanessa chimed in, her own voice so gentle and understanding, almost uplifting as Willow turned to look at her. The bitch…

‘You could learn to speak like that too…you just need practice Susan.’

‘A lot of practice…’

“I am…”

“No, you’re thinking about yourself. Thinking you have to fix this problem all on your own…or mostly. But you don’t have powers Willow, you’d be defenseless.”

“Like you were?” Willow bit back, taking Vanessa by surprise. “All your power and you folded instantly. At least I know what I’m up against, at least I know what it’s like to be powerless. I don’t have those false securities to take advantage of. If I think I’m in danger, I’ll run, I swear. But don’t make this about having abilities or not, because from where I was sitting…cowering under your desk as that bitch systematically snipped away every memory of Katelyn like it was just a mild inconvenience…none of your abilities meant anything. I don’t trust anyone, no matter how Psionically gifted, to deal with that…only Susan.” Vanessa turned toward me, her eyes full of…I don’t know what she was feeling, but it looked like she was starting to fold!

“This is insane!” I said loudly. I was feeling positively exasperated.

‘And a little touched… Shut up Gloria…

“You’re not going, that’s that. Either you cooperate with us or you don’t and your friend stays somewhere we can never reach. Is that what you want?”

“I am going. You can’t threaten me with Katelyn, because you’d never let an innocent stay in the hands of someone who would abuse her.”

‘She’s right, but this is still incredibly dangerous.’

‘No one in charge of PSI would let a civilian tag along, and for good reason! We can’t take her even if she doesn’t give us access to her memories.’ I knew that…obviously, and yet…

“Willow…” Vanessa almost sounded like she was pleading. “I believe you, about everything. I do. I believe in the danger you describe, but given that, do you really think you’ll be helping anyone by tagging along? You can end up used against your sister. You can end up captured just like Katelyn. You can end up doing more harm than good.”

“Susan would never let me get that close. I’d be in the van or whatever, surrounded by her team, listening and observing. I wouldn’t be in the way. I’d do whatever I was told…so long as I got to help.” Willow looked over at me, her tears nearly completely gone now, her gaze so serious that I knew I couldn’t change her mind… Well I could but…that would make me no better than the monster I was chasing. Willow wasn’t my only option though…

“Listen,” I told Vanessa, putting on my most serious cop-face. “I don’t want Willow anywhere near this mission, and neither do you…so help me out.” Willow’s face turned to a look of disgust, her mouth opening as if to object, but I lifted a finger and just spoke right over her. “Give me permission to scan your memories. Take away any leverage she has over this case. Or, if not you, anyone who saw or heard this person. Your guard…your door woman…anyone.”

“I…”

“No!” Willow shouted, standing up and frowning at both Vanessa and myself. “I can help fix this without revealing…anything.” Now what did THAT mean? “At least…let me try. Please? This is my chance to fix…everything.” Was that what this was all about? Some secret Willow had that she didn’t want me to know about? How absurd! A person’s livelihood was at stake here! Surely Vanessa saw the bigger picture!

“…If that’s what you want.”

“Excuse me?” I asked Vanessa, who looked at Willow like they had some kind of quiet understanding. “No, I’m sorry this is not happening. I’ll get a warrant for your mind first. My sister is NOT going to be chasing bad guys!”

“You can’t get a warrant for this Officer,” Vanessa said, crossing her arms. “The Free Thought Amendment means you can’t compel a memory transfer except under very specific circumstances. None of which have been met.”

“There’s a life at stake…” I said through gritted teeth.

“And no evidence that any memory myself or my employees have would save that life.”

“Bull! You know what she looks like, what she sounds like! Even if she made you forget I can still get that memory! Let me! Please.”

“Knowing what she looks and sounds like is helpful, but that’s all you’d get. We have no knowledge of where she would be going, and you have no evidence that any of our memories would help with that. I refuse.”

What just happened?

‘Willow has a secret here. Something everyone from the Madame to the door guard is in on and willing to go to extreme lengths to protect.’

‘I don’t know if I’d put it like that, but Monica is right. There’s no point in arguing any of this Susan. We don’t know what kind of leverage we’d need to stop this from happening, best to put it out of our hands. We know that PSI is never going to be on board with this. Willow can’t object if we have rank pulled on us.’ Ah, the beauty of red tape. Never thought I’d see the day where I was looking forward to the bureaucratic process raining down on my parade…

“Fine,” I allowed, throwing my hands up. “But don’t think any of this means anything. I still have to run it by my Captain and she has to run it by her Chief. There’s basically zero chance that any of this will happen.”

“It’ll happen,” Willow said, dead serious. “You’ll make it happen.” What, did my sister think I could work miracles? There was no way I was making this happen…

* * *

“There’s no way you’re making this happen!” Belluci screamed at me inside Vanessa Bombey’s office, as Vanessa worked silently to scan for video footage for the perp, and doing her best to not draw Constance’s ire. “Your sister is a civilian, and you’re on medical leave pending psych eval! Seriously Tanner, what the hell?” Music to my ears…

“I won’t give you permission to enter my mind otherwise,” Willow stated sourly, folding her arms under her chest, her little black dress giving her a deep cleavage that probably got her used to getting her way, at least where the opposite gender was concerned. Not this time though!

‘Hello pot, it’s kettle. You’re black.’ Shut up free favor ticket number 1!

“Oh, you think this little pouty teen routine is gonna work on me?” Belluci turned to Willow, fire in her eyes. Willow, to her credit, stared back without blinking. She was so stubborn… Couldn’t she see that Belluci was just trying to help, and wanted what was best for everyone, but this insistence on getting her way just made everything harder?

‘I don’t want to just repeat what Monica said but…’ Shut up free favor ticket number 2!

“I’m not pouting, I’m putting my foot down. I have information you need, and I want to help. That’s a clear transaction from where I’m standing.”

“A clear transaction? Oh well why didn’t you put it like that in the first place? Tell you what Wendy,” Willow’s eyes narrowed, the dark eyeliner made the blue pop, but somehow she made that bright warm blue look devastatingly cold… “You go through a few years of basic training, pass your exam, then get yourself some Psionic defenses and THEN we’ll talk about a balanced transaction! Till then, you’re coming up short.”

“Ahem…” James Patton cleared his throat drawing two pairs of dagger-like eyes toward himself. A brave man our Mr. Silvers… “Miss Tanner…Willow. I can, only imagine what you’re going through right now, but I it isn’t hard to see that you feel guilty and you want to do something to assuage that guilt.”

“Ugh you sound like you’re trying to be my father, and I definitely don’t need another deadbeat like that weighing me down. You wanna be a role model? Donate to charity. You wanna help, don’t make me your charity case.”

‘Scathing…’

‘Willow was always sharp with her tongue. At least it’s not being used in our direction this time.’

“Well let me treat you like an adult then,” James continued, making his voice firmer, less condescending, without missing a beat. The man was utterly unflappable. Having kids was apparently a great way to forge mental toughness. “Here are the facts Willow. Your friend is missing. No two ways about it she’s in dire straits and needs help. We are the only ones who can reliably help her. PSI has been doing this for a long time, if anyone can find Katelyn it’s us. You are not PSI. You are not trained to handle yourself in the field where anything and everything can go wrong. You are not able to defend yourself in case of an emergency. You are an extra variable for all of us to keep track of, one more thing to divide our attentions between while we try to rescue Katelyn. Do you truly think the value you add is worth the cost? Especially when that value can just be given to someone else? It doesn’t have to be Susan that probes your memory you know, any one of us can do it. We can swear ourselves to secrecy, Susan will never know unless you want her to, but the priority is finding your friend, safe and…whole.” I glanced toward the exit, Butters was waiting for us in the van completing the background check on Vanessa that I asked for. Apparently her mother was the one who ran the PoppyRose back when it stole identities, and Vanessa’s ownership had turned over a new leaf for the Psionic brothel. James wasn’t entirely correct when he said ‘any’ one of us could probe Willow’s memories, our wheelman was crazy strong but precision was not his strong suit…and given his discomfort around beautiful women, plus what my sister was likely doing during this time… Well, James’ point was still solid. I did want to know what it was Willow didn’t want me to know, but not so badly that I’d risk an innocent woman’s mind.

‘I want to know too…’ Monica projected a deep frown. ‘I get the feeling it’s important, more important than we suspect.’

“Facts aren’t very meaningful if you don’t count all of them, sir! Next fact: I have the information you need to identify the person responsible. Next fact: I am willing to give this information to you, but only so long as I can protect what’s important to me too. Next fact! I am the only one here who has all the details, all the facts needed to make an informed decision. I have made that decision, and everyone who shares the knowledge I have has agreed with this decision. So, Mr. Adult, maybe you should consider that I’m not making an emotional decision, but a reasoned one. Maybe, just maybe I have thought this through, and deserve a little credit.” What the HELL is this secret? James just shrugged and moved back to his seat, smiling as though he was proud of my sister! Proud? For going to such lengths to hide what was likely just a stupid sex fetish? What was she worried I’d stop talking to her if she came out as lesbian? I mean she practically did…which was a surprise in itself, Wendy never seemed to be interested in girls, and Mom would be supportive if she was, she ought to know that. Was she into something kinky? BDSM? Maybe she got off on being Psionically manipulated? There were certainly people like that out there… I just couldn’t imagine any of that being enough to hide details about her friend’s kidnapper and insisting on coming with us…

‘It’s obviously important to Willow, and the women at the PoppyRose agree with her thinking. Maybe it’s time to trust our sister?’ Gloria has always had a soft spot for Wendy… ‘Willow.’ For Willow… Hell, we all used to have a soft spot for our sister… ‘We still do…’ Gloria said, broadcasting a young 10-year-old Wendy into my mind. Bright blue eyes and yellow hair, just like mine, her face always lit up in a wonderful smile whenever she saw me home from college. She was with me when my powers unlocked, when Monica and Gloria were essentially born… She was the one who gave Gloria her name.

‘And 8 years later there’s nothing of that little girl left, especially when she wears contacts. Look at her, she’s a walking, talking cry for help. I love our sister as much as either of you, but sometimes a little tough love goes a long way.’

‘What she needs is understanding.’

‘How can we understand her if she doesn’t open up to us?’ Alas, Gloria didn’t have a response to that…neither did I. The fact was, that bright, sunny 8-year-old girl was gone, and in her place was a bristly, edgy 18-year-old who had built up this massive wall between us.

‘Loving someone doesn’t mean hoping they’ll never change. We all change. Loving someone is about supporting them no matter how they change, and trusting that the feelings they have for you never really go away. Even if they come out differently.’ Well…maybe Gloria did have a response to that after all.

“Um…” Suddenly all eyes turned toward Vanessa who was looking at her computer with a wide eyed expression. “I deleted it,”

“Excuse me?” Constance asked, looking ready to explode.

“The camera footage from last night. I deleted it, I didn’t even remember doing so until just now when I saw it was gone…just a routine system wipe, nothing I even needed to think about.”

‘Shit. The pocketwatch girl apparently thought of this too.’

“Well,” said Willow, smirking a little. “Let’s add another fact to the equation. You don’t have any video footage to identify the kidnapper with.” Constance turned toward Willow and leaned in close, their foreheads almost touching.

“One last fact you’re forgetting princess,” Belluci said, dangerously calmly. “None of us have the authority to assign any missions to anyone, least of all ourselves. Chief Cisler is the boss here, and there’s no way he would ever accept the risks associated with having you out in the field with us. We tell him what you want to do, and he’ll shoot it down and assign some other, less involved, team to hunt for your friend. We don’t even have a full team anymore with Tanner and Rogers in recovery. To be frank it doesn’t matter why you don’t want us looking at your little sexcapades last night, all we’re really doing is gathering intel for the next team to investigate. Roy isn’t going to budge on protocol.”

Constance then walked out of the office like a lioness stalking her prey. James gave us all a smile and quickly followed her out. I moved next, stepping outside as Willow cleared her throat.

“Ahem, also Vanessa…I didn’t mention this before because I wanted to wait until there was some privacy, but there was one more thing the woman did to you… It involves Ami…”

I left before I heard exactly what it was, by the sound it was probably something sexual and for all that she wasn’t my favorite person in the world right now Vanessa didn’t deserve to have a PSI officer nosing in on those kinds of suggestions.

“Susan Tanner…” I turned toward the source of the voice, coming eye to eye with a tall, blonde woman with blue eyes and large breasts. She had a salon tan and was wearing some tight slacks and a button-up blouse way too small for her.

“Yes?” I asked, wondering how this mystery woman knew who I was.

“Sorry,” she said quickly, averting her eyes and pulling her blouse together to do up a couple more buttons. “I just…well I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“From Willow?” I hazarded, resisting the urge to facepalm. “Look, whatever she told you I’m not some prude hardass who hates sex workers. I don’t hold anything against any of you, just for the record.” The blonde smiled.

“Oh she tells me nothing but good things about you.” I snorted.

“Willow? Good things? About me? You sure you got the right Susan Tanner?”

“You’d be surprised how much she admires you…but I don’t think any of that is my place to tell. Just…well just keep in mind that you mean a lot to her, even if she comes off as a total bitch sometimes.” I smiled despite myself; the woman spoke so fondly of Willow even while calling out her personality flaws. “Take care of her okay?”

“That’s the plan.” The woman nodded and smiled before turning and walking away.

‘Was it just me or did she seem…really sad?’ Monica asked, projecting a lot of confusion.

‘Yes, she was… Why though, I couldn’t say.’ This visit was just so weird… Willow taking me to a lesbian sex club was weird enough, but everything else on top of it…it was just too much! I needed to get back to the Primary Field Headquarters and a sense of normalcy. Just gonna march straight into Cisler’s office, explain the facts, let him know Willow wasn’t cooperating until she was allowed to join and let him say…

* * *

“Let her join,” said Roy Cisler, Chief of Operations of the PSI Primary Field Headquarters. I immediately gagged, choking on his cock as it slid down my throat and immediately pulling back to gasp for air. Constance Belluci, on her knees beside me, looked awe struck, completely at a loss for words.

“Sir!” I coughed, trying to regain any semblance of professionalism I could…while on my knees giving my superior a blowjob. For security reasons! “I…why? She’s untrained! She’s not an officer…she…she doesn’t even have Psionic powers!”

“Exactly.” I looked to Constance for a moment and was happy to note that I wasn’t the only one confused by this. Chief Cisler gain us a meaningful look and Constance sighed, wrapping her lips around his dick and resuming where I’d left off so…abruptly.

“What do you mean?” I asked, looking up at the large, well-built man with steely hazel eyes and gray eyebrows looking directly into my soul.

“I’ve been waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time. It seemed completely impossible, but somehow all the pieces have now fallen into place for finally going after Free Soul Gardens.” Now it was Constance’s turn to gag.

“Free Soul? You said it was impossible to go after them without legislative changes!”

‘What is Free Soul Gardens Barbie?’ I had no idea! If I did Monica would know too!

“Apparently I was wrong, it’s possible, just very very difficult, but let’s bring Barbie up to speed.” Constance looked like she was about to say something else, but then resumed the blowjob, going at a noticeably slower pace. Apparently this meeting was expected to take some time…wish I had a pillow. “Free Soul Gardens is a gated community for people with altered Cores,” Chief Cisler said, opening up his desk and handing us two pillows to kneel on. Fucking psychics acting like mind readers…when did I get to learn that trick?

‘Once you learn to recognize social cues blondie,’ Monica said playfully as Gloria listen attentively for the 3 of us.

“Officially, it’s a therapeutic safe space where those who have been permanently altered by Psionic abilities can go to live free of judgement and in comfort. It is officially recognized by the U.S. government as a medical facility, which means that we have no jurisdiction there. Unofficially, we have suspicions that the people in Free Soul are being taken advantage of and used as cover to hide illegal Psionic activity. There are also questions as to whether the people who live there are all victims, or whether some are hidden abusers allowed to terrorize their victims away from prying eyes. I think Free Soul, and other places like it are the biggest cesspools of abuse left. If we can uncover evidence of wrong doing, even just enough for an official investigation, we can establish precedent against gated communities like Free Soul, and similar self-contained support structures elsewhere in the nation.”

“So this is a sting operation? But why do we need Wendy?”

“Not just Wendy Susan. Free Soul is a very exclusive community, you cannot get in unless your Core has been altered, they do a deep background check, not something we could easily fake, and not legally unless we had a warrant, but we just so happen to have an officer with exclusive access to a Core afflicted person.”

“Angie…”

“Yes, Angie can get into Free Soul, and because you are tied to her as her Mistress, that means you can too.”

“They’d just let a PSI officer waltz right into their gated community? Just like that?”

“Heh, no, we’ll have some work to do on our end as well, but if we say you’re going on a sting operation, certainly not a lie, we can put a scrub on all your PSI affiliations so that you’d pass the background check. We’d give you a job at Axis Pharmaceuticals, alongside Angie. We’d have to hope it passes the background check, but given how important this case could be I’m planning on using whatever resources we have available.”

“But what about Wendy?”

“Wendy is the last piece of the puzzle I needed. Someone without Psionic abilities can do things inside the community that a psychic can’t.” Constance gagged again, withdrawing from the Chief’s cock with an audible pop.

“You don’t just want her to sit in the van you want her on the front lines?! Sir with all due respect, have you lost your mind!”

“Psychics are tracked in Free Soul Belluci, you know that as well as I do. The claim is that it’s for security purposes, to ensure that no one is taken advantage of, but the fact that this makes it especially difficult for PSI officers to infiltrate is awfully convenient for them. Now, I’m not exactly giddy about sending an untrained civilian into the fire like this, but if she’s as committed to helping her friend as you made her sound, she could be a real help.”

“You could also lose your job if something happens to her…”

“Ha! I could lose my job if nothing happens to her, but if I can unearth the underbelly of Free Soul, and possibly more places like that around the country, perhaps even the world…well I’d take an early retirement for that.”

“She’s my sister…” I said, surprised at how close to pleading it sounded. “I don’t want her anywhere like that! She’s only 18!”

“She’s an adult in the eyes of the U.S. government,” Cisler said solemnly, gesturing downward. Constance begrudgingly went back to work ensuring the meeting was secure. “You can’t stop her from making this call…that said you can stop this whole mission. I need Angie to get you in there, and I need Wendy to do the things you can’t, but most of all I need you to be onboard or the whole thing is destined to fail. You’re Angie’s legal guardian, if you don’t sign off on her I can’t force the issue, so let that be your answer. You’re the lynchpin that holds all of this together Tanner. You can protect Angie, and guide Wendy. You have the training, and the power. I need you Susan. Otherwise I have to wait until next time a PSI officer happens into a guardianship of a Core altered individual with a non-Psychic volunteer willing to assist.”

‘The fact that it happened even once is a miracle honestly… No wonder he’s got such a hard on for this.’ Yeah I think that might’ve been Belluci…

‘Comedic nonchalance won’t save us this time Susan. We have to take this seriously. This Free Soul could be exactly what it says it is. Suspicions aren’t always right.’

‘But if they are? What the Chief is telling us is that this place could be an abuser’s paradise! A candy shop for the most twisted Psychics to live out their sick fantasies free from reprisal!’

‘It’s even worse than that Monica dear. Read between the lines, the Chief is also telling us that Free Soul could be the staging grounds for sex trafficking, targeted Psionic ‘hits,’ cult-like indoctrinations, and all manner of Psionic based crimes. Not only that but that other places could exist elsewhere in the country using the same laws that are supposed to protect victims from government harassment to create more victims without anyone even knowing.’

‘Fuck… Can we really afford to sit this out?’

“What does this have to do with locating Katelyn Young?” I asked, almost desperate to find some reason to keep Wendy…to keep Willow out of this. “Willow won’t help us with this, she only wants to help her friend. She blames herself for the kidnapping…”

“If Free Soul is what I think it is, it is the best place to look for Katelyn Young,” Chief Cisler said solemnly, not an easy feat when a beauty like Constance Belluci is going down on you… “This kidnapper clearly is used to working outside the law, that means she’s part of the criminal underbelly of the city. If Free Soul is connected to that criminal underbelly, it’s where we’ll find what we need. I’ll have another team working the case from other angles too, but Psionic criminals are rare to find out in the open, especially smart ones who cover their tracks.” I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding…not out of relief, but out of resignation. Chief Cisler was right, a mission like this was worth risking your career for…even sacrificing your career for, but could I sacrifice Willow for it?

‘We’ll be there for her,’ Monica said, her voice a source of strength that gave me hope.

‘Don’t forget Angie. We’ll have to protect her too.’ Gloria didn’t sound afraid either, she sounded confident. ‘Willow believes in us. We’re her Mary Sue. Let’s believe in her as well.’

“I’m in.”