The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Pretender to the Throne

by ”URN My Power

Chapter V: “The Fall”

Kevin perceived nothing but pain for quite some time. It seemed he was drowning in a sea of agony, until a soft, gentle light penetrated the darkness.

“Kevin?” Kevin didn’t respond. “Kevin!” The light swirled and took on a familiar shape.

“Father?”

“It’s always the one you least expect, isn’t it?” Kevin’s father asked. “You’ve been pushing yourself very hard lately, Kevin. You can’t rely on healing powers to get you out of tough scrapes, no matter what Marvel Comics would have you believe.”

“You’re not mad at me for killing you?” Kevin asked.

“Why would I be mad? You rid me of the dark hunger which bound my soul to evil, and cleansed my soul in fire while you were at it. I was crazy with bloodlust when we last met, Kevin. There was no way I was going to let you get your new fangs into me. You did what you had to do and I’m proud of you for it.”

“And here I’ve been eating myself up with guilt over that for the past two years.”

“You don’t have to anymore, Kevin, my son.” his father said. “Listen carefully. You’re not yet ready to face Pirondael.”

“He forced my hand.” Kevin replied.

“And as regrettable as that is, you’re lucky to have survived that final attack.”

“So I’m not dead?”

“If you were, you’d be speaking with someone else entirely. No, you will have to face Pirondael again, at another time. You have the power. You and your apprentices need to master your powers. Like I always used to say, it’s better to be a dead-on shot with a pea shooter than a blind man with a bazooka.” Kevin laughed, and the action caused him pain. “It’s time to wake up.”

* * *

Kevin’s eyes fluttered open. He was surrounded by plastic. IVs and various other tubes projected from him like the tentacles of some unearthly being. He felt terrible. He reached out with his mind and drew some of the energy around him into himself. When he felt he had enough, he began healing himself. IVs popped from their moorings, as did several of the other tubes. A nurse who had been watching gasped. Kevin removed the feeding tube from his throat and glared at the nurse.

“I’m ready to check out now.” he said, taking off the ID bracelet which read “Doe, John.”

* * *

Jessie had suddenly stopped crying. Suzy and Suzie were worried—it was so confusing having Jessie’s sister and Kevin’s adoptive sister in the same room. Suzy opened the door to Jessie’s room. She was staring out the window, her head cocked to one side as if listening to something.

“What is wrong, sister?” Suzy asked.

“Nothing.” Jessie replied. “For the first time in weeks, nothing’s wrong. Can’t you sense him?”

Suzy hadn’t a clue what her sister was talking about. Could she be...Wait, I do sense something. she thought. She joined Jessie at the window. Something was definitely out there, calling to them. There was a shifting at the gate. The sisters teleported there to see who was coming through—and Suzy dropped her jaw in amazement. Jessie threw her arms around Kevin as if it had been years rather than weeks since she had seen him. Suzy let them kiss and make out for almost ten minutes before she reminded them of her presence. Kevin put his arm around Suzy, including her in the embrace. Suzy felt the empty place that had appeared within her after Kevin’s disappearance begin to fill again.

“Where have you been?” she asked.

“A hospital in Mississippi.” Kevin replied. “Coma ward. That powerhungry son of a bitch sure can blow people far away.”

“That’s milder than what Krystal called him.” Jessie said, still clinging to Kevin’s torso as if she feared he might disappear if she lost physical contact. “She had some rather interesting ideas on his ancestry and sexual habits.” Kevin laughed.

“Looks like I’ve got some mourning to interrupt.” Kevin muttered.

* * *

Kevin didn’t like trying to sift through all the red tape that came with any sort of change of status, like a change of address or what-have-you. He had just finished the change of address paperwork required by the high school, as well as several other things the school wanted him to fill out due to some other recent changes.

At least you don’t have to fill out a change of name form. Jessie sent via their mindlink. Kevin smiled inwardly, afraid to let it show on his face, lest the office personnel think he LIKED doing paperwork and give him a half ton more. It had been a week since Kevin’s “triumphant return from the jaws of death,” as Jessie had called it. Since then, Kevin had arranged for a semi-modest wedding for himself and Jessie in Nevada, followed by a honeymoon in Puerto Rico. The ring on Jessie’s finger had been magically forged by Kevin himself, and was imbued with a spell which would dispel any energy attacks which might otherwise harm her. The ring on his own finger served the same purpose, and he had given armbands with similar spells to the others. Jessie was very permissive when it came to the other apprentices, because of the highly sexual nature of their Kind, but Kevin had insisted on the wedding—if nothing else, as a sign that she was and would always be first in his heart, that she was, in essence, his Queen. You’re going to make me blush. Jessie sent.

When a married man can’t mentally gush over his wife, there’s something wrong with the world. Kevin replied.

There, I’m finished. Let’s head to lunch. You can gush over me all you want, mentally or otherwise. Kevin chuckled.

“What’s so funny, Mr. Shadows?” asked the secretary.

“Just my sense of the unusual kicking me in the funnybone.” Kevin said. “Nothing for you to worry about.”

* * *

“So how’s it feel to be a married man?” Paul asked.

“Words don’t describe it.” Kevin replied.

“You realize, of course, that this makes you a prime target for homewreckers and heartbreakers who can’t resist the challenge of the ‘forbidden fruit.’”

“Good thing I’ve got my enhanced senses.” Kevin said. “I can smell ‘em coming a mile away.” Paul’s glance shifted to one side, where a young woman in a diminutive tank top with a chest that was anything BUT diminutive was approaching with a purposeful stride.

“And here comes Contestant #1.” Paul remarked.

“Hi, Kevin.” the young woman said.

“What’s new, Tessa?” Kevin asked in a nonchalant tone that surprised even Paul, the King of False Innocense.

“Just wondering if you’d like to attend a little social get-together I’m having this weekend.” she said in a sweet tone. Kevin didn’t need his powers to see where this was going.

“Sorry, Tessa, I can’t. I’m really far behind and I need to catch up.” Kevin said. Tessa was about to launch her second attempt when Kevin fixed her with his gaze. “You’re bored with me. Paul seems a more promising candidate. You’re going to focus on him now.” When he released her mind, Tessa blinked, then turned to Paul, turning on all her feminine, seductive charm. After only a few sentences, Paul and Tessa were walking away, arm-in-arm. “Have fun at the party, bro!” Kevin called.

“You bet I will!” Paul called back. “Thanks, man!”

* * *

“How goes the reassembly of our forces?” Pirondael asked.

“Slowly, Lord.” replied one of the Vampires in attendance. “A great many have gone into hiding, fearing for their lives.”

“I destroyed the Shadows boy myself.” Pirondael snarled. “They need fear only my wrath should they DISOBEY!!” The Vampire cringed, ready to be vaporized at any moment by the wrath of the Emperor of Vampires. When his disintegration did not come, the Vampire opened his eyes. “Continue gathering my forces...and bring me the head of the shadow-sorcerer who failed me.”

“Yes, Lord Pirondael.” the Vampire said, grateful for the opportunity to leave. Hidden in the shadows, an Enforcer took leave of his comerades to report back to Monkshood.

* * *

“Pirondael still believes you dead.” said a semiattractive female Enforcer, who had appeared in Kevin’s home only minutes after a similar message had been delivered to Monkshood.

“Good.” Kevin said. “Let him continue to think so. It’s an advantage that he thinks our total strength is fifteen grieving, half-trained apprentice Transcendents, then it’s an advantage.”

“Should I ask for the aid of the former Djinn and her love-master?”

“Can you even find them?” Kevin asked.

“Well...no, but...”

“Then my protections are still working.” Kevin said. “I can contact them myself if need be.”

“You don’t need us, do you?” the Enforcer asked, a little angry.

“On the contrary.” Kevin said. “I’m glad to have informants in the rat’s nest. Thanks to your help, I can stay one step ahead of Pirondael, and that means he’ll be out of all our hair eventually.”

“Then what?” the Enforcer asked.

“Hey, one step at a time, okay? Rest assured I won’t leave the Enforcers forgotten in the dust.”

“You’d better not, or...”

“Or what?” Kevin demanded, his tone turning dangerous. His eyes glowed red with anger. He did NOT like threats.

“Um, we...haven’t quite figured that out yet.” the Enforcer said sheepishly, averting her gaze. Kevin took a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

“I’m sorry. I’m afraid I have my great-grandfather’s temper.”

“You mean Oberon?” the Enforcer asked.

“He’s the only great-grandfather I’m aware of.” Kevin replied. “I seem to have caught some of the Vampiric arrogance, too.”

“In spades.” the Enforcer muttered. Kevin glanced at her, and she feared he was going to lash out, but a smile curled his lips, and he laughed. The Enforcer was relieved to find that his sense of humor (something she had never understood herself) had just saved her life.

“What’s your name?” he asked.

“Does it matter?” the Enforcer asked.

“I wouldn’t have asked if it didn’t.” Kevin replied.

“Daphne.” she replied.

“I didn’t think Enforcers used names that humans would use.”

“We use the names of poisonous things.” Daphne replied.

“I noticed.” Kevin replied. He extended his consciousness, checking to be sure that no other Enforcers were watching. Once he was certain they were alone, he gazed into her eyes, pinning her with his powerfully hypnotic stare. She resisted with her strong Enforcer will, but eventually his power won out. “Relax, Daphne. I’m not going to hurt you.” he said. Her arms slumped to her sides. Daphne’s facial features were strongly feline due to her Enforcer nature, but her body had a very pleasing shape. “I want you to come back here in a few weeks. Volunteer to take my progress report or something. When you return, we will discuss the future in more detail. Now, block the events which happened while you were under my power out of your conscious mind. You will still act on my suggestions, but you will not be conscious that you are doing so.” He released her mind, and she blinked. “Are you okay?” he asked. “You seemed a little woozy there for a minute.”

“I’m fine.” Daphne said, refusing his assistance.

“Maybe you’d better get home.” Kevin said.

* * *

Tannin moved into the back room of his establishment. The small, magical light floating beside him illuminated a crate of the liquor he was running low on in the front. He conjured a hardwood pry and the nails creaked as he pulled them free. An arm around his chest and another around his mouth sent a thrill of panic through his system as he was yanked backwards into the concealing shadows.

“Keep your mouth shut and there won’t be any trouble.” said his captor’s voice. “Listen closely. I’m going to say two words, and then remove my hand, and you’re going to play professor. You’re going to tell me everything you know about the subject I’m going to give you. I will be a seminar of one. Think you can handle that, smart guy?” Tannin nodded. “Here goes: Vampire. Gatherings.” The stranger removed his hand, and Tannin told him about how Pirondael was summoning as many Vampires as he could to rebuild his army, but the stranger said he already knew that. Tannin thought for a split second and told the stranger about a couple of places where Repentant Vampires were holing up, of three Vampire conventions being held by local Kings, and a couple of Princesses who have challenged each other to a Mind-Duel just outside of town. The duel was set for midnight tonight.

“Interesting.” the stranger said. “Thank you, my friend, you’ve been a great help. Turn around.” Tannin turned around fearfully. Eyes shining in the darkness gazed back at him. He could feel power coming from them stronger even than Vampire hypnotism. His best efforts to resist failed. “Nothing happened.” the stranger said. “You came down to get some liquor and heard a noise, but it’s nothing.”

“Nothing.” Tannin said. Then the stranger was gone, releasing his hold on Tannin’s mind. Tannin felt a deep, throbbing ache in his head.

* * *

Kevin felt a little guilty for treating Tannin so badly, but he needed to keep his exposure to a minimum. Perhaps he could make it up later. The two Princesses were approaching, each accompanied by a several of her sisters—twelve each. The two teams were evenly matched, it seemed, judging from their auras. This would be interesting. Kevin was glad, too. He’d never seen a Vampiric Mind-Duel before. Hidden in the shadows, for all intents and purposes a part of them, he watched. The Princesses gave each other highly ritualized greetings.

“Hail Princess Andrea!” said one. “It gladdens me that you have accepted my challenge.”

“Hail Princess Tamara!” said the other. “It gladdens me that you have not withdrawn the challenge.” With the greetings over, their respective cadres took their places, and the duel began, each Vampiress locking onto the other with powerful hypnotic stares. Kevin permitted himself an inward smile. They were trying to enslave one another! He had heard of such duels from Suzy, Jade and Katarina, but had never heard of two evenly-matched groups going at it like this. Kevin watched for five minutes as the combatants sized each other up, trying to measure offense against defense. When nothing seemed to be happening, one of Andrea’s sisterhood took a place beside her and tried to tip the balance in her sister’s favor. In response, one of Tamara’s cadre joined, and soon all the Princesses were engaged in a battle of wits. Nothing seemed to be happening. For almost an hour Kevin waited, before he noticed how relaxed everyone seemed. He couldn’t believe it! The battle had ended in a stalemate, with both groups deeply hypnotized, their hypnotic power still pouring from their eyes, deepening the trances of the other group. Kevin knew an opportunity when he saw it. He emerged from the shadows, cautiously.

“Can you hear me?” he asked.

“Yes.” the groups replied, their flat voices advertising the depth of their trances. Kevin was rock-hard and smiling. He’d read about something like this online, except that it was two humans not Vampires. Still, the possibilities were endless.

“Look at me.” he commanded. They obeyed, and he used his Enforcer-strength hypnotic power to key them to his frequency. “You have battled each other to a standstill, and left yourselves susceptible to my power. Now you are helpless to resist me.”

“Helpless.” they agreed.

“Good. Now, I want you to follow me.” They followed, their movements still oozing sexual energy due to their Vampire nature, despite the depth of their trances. They entered Kevin’s Shadow and were transported in all their helpless, sexual glory to Kevin’s palace.

* * *

Tamara’s body sang with pleasure as she opened her eyes. She knew she had made a mistake—but she wouldn’t trade it for anything. She was now emotionally bound to Kevin, and more powerful than she could possibly have imagined. It took some doing, but she managed to exhume herself from the tangle of naked, wet-cunted bodies. She had had no idea that twenty-six could be taken as apprentice in one night, even by the legendary Kevin, but the orgy had been a wonderous, mind-blowing experience she would treasure for the rest of her days.

“I’d forgotten how beautiful it was.” Andrea said from the window.

“What?” Tamara asked, sitting beside her new Transcendent sister.

“The sun.” Andrea replied. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen it. I couldn’t really remember what it looked like.”

“We’ve both had a long evolution to get through to become Princesses.” Tamara replied. “I guess things do get lost along the way. Important things. Where’s our Master?”

“At school. I think they’re having lunch now.”

“Lunch.” Tamara muttered thoughtfully. “It’s been so long since I’ve had solid food. Even halflings eat it. You’d think five thousand years of blood, night in and night out, would get boring after a while.”

“Are you hungry?” Andrea asked. Tamara was mildly surprised that she felt absolutely no hatred for her former rival and enemy. She reflected that they had been friends once, before becoming Vampiresses. Perhaps this was a second chance. A chance to renew her old friendship. She placed a hand on Andrea’s shoulder.

“Let’s go see what we can find.”

* * *

Kevin smiled with satisfaction as he watched Jade teach the new arrivals the basics of their new powers. Jessie was snuggled securely in his lap. He placed his hand gently on her belly. She was just beginning to show.

“Who do you think we should get to babysit?” he asked.

“Mmm?” Jessie asked sleepily.

“I’m sorry, honey, did I wake you?”

“It’s okay.” Jessie replied. “I didn’t mean to fall asleep. It’s just I feel so safe in your arms.” Kevin looked into her eyes, and was reminded of the first time he had become aware of his deep, emotional connection with her. He opened his mind and let his emotions flow with hers. She kissed him, their tongues intertwined, and she let herself melt into him. You should be meditating. she said into his mind. We should all be trying to master our powers.

What’s the hurry? Kevin asked. Can’t we have a little time to ourselves?

I wasn’t complaining. she replied, lust clearly evident in her mind-voice. The increased hormone production brought on by her pregnancy gave one more tie to their bond, not that it was needed. She wasn’t going anywhere. Kevin drew her into one of the shadows, where they enjoyed complete privacy.

* * *

Kevin was definitely feeling more confident with his powers. Everything seemed so much easier, to take so little of his concentration. It was becoming almost second nature. The mixing of powers allowed him easier ways to get the results he wanted, using less of his much-needed energy. He closed his eyes and felt his aura warming him—a comforting warmth despite his close proximity to the lava fountain. And the power grew as he became more familiar with it, like a muscle being exercised. The shadow that hid his power flexed according to his will. Even now it served as a buffer between Kevin and the heat of the lava flowing from the fountain.

“I’m here to take your progress report.” Daphne said. Kevin opened his eyes and smiled. He stood, stepping over the rim onto the cool stone of the courtyard.

“It keeps getting easier.” Kevin said, shaking some of the molten rock from his shadow-protected body.

“So I see.” Daphne replied. “Monkshood wants to know how soon you will be ready to engage Pirondael again.”

“So eager to see Pirondael dead, is he?” Kevin asked, in what he thought was a halfway decent Yoda impersonation. Daphne nodded. “That’s one thing we have in common. However, if there’s one thing that TV and movies has taught me, it’s that we mustn’t let eagerness and haste get in the way of common sense. Don’t you agree?” Daphne nodded. “Still, it’s a race to see who will be ready to make the next move first. Pirondael is still marshalling his forces?” Daphne nodded. “Good. He still doesn’t know I’m alive?” Daphne nodded. “Good. I hope he hasn’t been asking about my apprentices with the other students.”

“We don’t think he’s thought of that yet.” Daphne said.

“Let me know as soon as you think he does.”

“Of course I will.” Daphne said. There was an uncomfortable (for her) silence. She was trying to work out how she was going to broach the next subject on her mind. Finally she spoke. “I’d like to discuss your plans for the future.” she said.

“Anything in particular you want to know?” Kevin asked.

“Um,” she said, trying to figure out what it was that had been prodding at her the last couple of weeks. Kevin hadn’t elaborated when he had instructed her on their last meeting. “I’m not sure.” she said. “I think it had something to do with me...or the Enforcers.” This last was added as an afterthought.

“I think maybe you were right the first time.” Kevin said. He pinned her with his hypnotic gaze. “And I do have plans for you. But they must wait for later. Right now I’m busy trying to train fifteen half-trained apprentices and twenty-six complete neophytes. When my original fifteen are ready to take apprentices of their own, I will call you, and you will come to me. In the meantime, study humans and particularly humor when you have the chance. I realize it is a difficult concept, but you’ll grasp it eventually. Be ready to come when I call you. When I release your mind, you will not consciously remember what I’ve told you.” He released his hold on her, and she blinked several times rapidly. Kevin continued as if he’d been talking for some time about how well Moonseed was doing and how she’d make a reasonably good apprentice.

“Your offer is generous, Mr. Shadows, but you are busy trying to train fifteen half-trained apprentices and twenty-six complete neophytes.” Daphne said. “I do not believe it would be wise to accept your offer at this time.” Kevin shrugged.

“Think about it.”

* * *

Sandra sighed as she flopped into the chair at the food court. What a day! She had enough in tips to get herself a foot-long hero sandwich, a diet soda and a bag of hot fries, and still have enough left over to get gas with, whereas usually she only had enough, what with her five dollar weekly ration after bills and groceries, to get a bag of M&Ms and a soda out of the vending machine at Wal-Mart. It was the same today as it had been every day since she had done the haircut on that young man with the silver hair. It seemed as though her confidence had risen so that she no longer made the nervous mistakes she usually did. And with her nervousness gone, she had the poise and presence to go with the courtesy that had been rammed into her from birth, and thus to get more customers, and therefore, to get the grades she needed, faster. She was weary, but in a good way. A flash of silver in the corner of her eye caught her attention. “Hi!” she exclaimed, waving her hand at the silver-haired youth whose hair she had cut. He was younger than her, probably high school, but he had a presence about him...no, she corrected herself, a Presence, almost like royalty in disguise—a celebrity incognito. He smiled and approached her table.

“Hi.” he said. “You’re looking better. You even look...healthier, somehow.”

“I’m getting enough in tips now that I can afford to eat better come lunchtime.” she said. “And what’s really weird is I think I owe it all to you. It’s like you triggered some hidden potential in me that my shyness kept chained down. Oh, by the way, I’m Sandra. Sandra Winthrop.”

“Kevin Shadows.” he said, shaking her hand.

“Wow, even your name is cool!” Sandra said. “When I was in public school, people would always call me stuff like Sandy Throwup.” She blushed. “I’m sorry, I don’t know why I said that!”

“It’s okay, Sandra.” Kevin said. “It’s usually better to get stuff like that out of your system anyway.”

“It’s just I’ve never been this turned on by someone I barely know before. Oops!” Kevin chuckled, not derisively, but in a kind, understanding way that made Sandra feel better.

“At least you’re not staring and drooling and gawking like, oh, say, those girls over there.” He glanced off to the right, and Sandra followed his glance to a trio of young women barely twenty-one who were staring transfixed at Kevin—one of them was even masturbating openly, as though she didn’t care who else was watching. It was lucky for her that the mall detective wasn’t watching. “I never thought of myself as attractive until I came here.” he continued. “It’s kind of embarrassing.”

“What’s to be embarrassed about?” Sandra asked. “You’re an absolute hottie. You could be in posters on girls’ ceilings, or in the movies or something.”

“It’s so nice of you to say that.” Kevin said.

“I’m serious.” Sandra replied in earnest. “I really am serious, and I...I...I want you. I want you more than I’ve ever wanted anyone. I’d trade in all the posters and magazines I have for...for a kiss, even.” Suddenly, the girl who had been masturbating reached orgasm, startling everyone. Kevin chuckled and turned back to Sandra. She knew he could smell her. She was hot and wet and ready. All she needed was him.

“Well, there’s no need to do anything drastic.” he said. “We both have somewhere to be later, but if you’d care to meet me sometime after school...”

“About five, maybe?” Sandra asked. Kevin nodded agreement.

“Five then, in front of the McDonald’s.” He gave her a gentle caress. “We’ll figure out where to go from there. You might want to finish your lunch.” He rose. “I have to be getting back to school soon, but I’ll be waiting for you.” She watched him leave, and it was only after he was gone that she remembered she had food in front of her. She finished it quickly, washing it down with the last half of her medium drink, and then headed for the bathroom, where she fantasized about the night to come and fingered herself to orgasm. Afterward she cleaned herself up and returned to the college.

* * *

Kevin maneuvered himself through the hallway with some difficulty, due to the large number of students in the hall. Looking ahead, there seemed to be a clot of freshmen causing the delays as they moved slowly down the hall. Kevin took advantage of the fact that no one was paying any attention to anything to slip through a shadow and come out around the corner.

“Hey, there.” he said. The freshmen all looked up at him as if surprised that a senior would deign to acknowledge them. “I remember what it was like to be a freshman, but you can’t move in clots like that, especially if you’re going to go slow. See all the cheesed-off people behind you? Form a line or something so people can get by.” The freshmen did as instructed (after all, who among them would DARE disobey a senior?), and those behind them moved on, giving Kevin appreciative nods. When the backup was gone, Kevin got a look at the packs on their backs. “I’ll give you a hint, guys...oh, and girls, too.” Kevin said, nodding to the two girls in the back. “Divide your books into groups so you don’t have to carry them around all the time. For example, you’ve got first and second period, then break. So at the beginning of school you get your stuff for first and second period. Then, after break, you get your stuff for third and fourth periods, since freshmen all have first lunch. After lunch, get your books for fifth, sixth and seventh periods, then after school just get the books for the subjects you have homework in. That way you only have to go to your locker four times, not nine. Get it?” The freshmen all replied in the affirmative, though none of them used the same word as any of his or her compatriots, and they moved on to their next class—except for one girl who just stood there, staring. Kevin gave her a gentle nudge in the right direction, and she recovered her wits and scooted off to class. “Kids.” he muttered.

“Socializing with the little fish are we?” Paul asked behind him.

“You know, I’m just about tired of people coming right up behind me when I’m busy with something else.” Kevin said. “You remember what it was like to be a freshman. I was just helping.”

“The great and benevolent Kevin picks up the small fry and carries them to the top of the waterfall when they should be learning to jump themselves.” Paul said. “You didn’t have anyone to help you when you were a freshman, did you?”

“No, but...”

“No butts, Kev. The fish need to face their challenges on their own if they’re going to evolve into the rest of the animal kingdom.”

“How are things going with Tessa?” Kevin said to change the subject.

“Her parents don’t approve of me.” he said.

“What’s not to approve of?”

“Mostly the fact that we broke the headboard on their bed.” Paul smirked. “Cheap brass piece of shit only lasted five rounds before it fell all to pieces.”

“And that little tidbit falls under the category of ‘didn’t need to know that.’” Kevin said, shaking his head as they made their way to class.

“It’s not like you and Jessie didn’t break your share of furniture. I’ve seen her room.”

“When did you see her room?” Kevin asked.

“I passed it on the way to the bathroom last March when we all had that big block party. This was after you started banging her, but before you got hitched. Anyway, did you see that girl fingering herself at the mall? What a slut!”

“You were at the mall? How come I didn’t see you?”

“You were too busy talking to that little peach in the food court. Man, all the girls were staring at you, you lucky stud.”

“You want I should kick a few your way?” Kevin asked.

“Maybe, if it doesn’t work out with Tessa, but I don’t think I could handle two at a time. Not if Tessa’s one of them, at any rate. I’m telling you that girl will milk a man dry!”

“Didn’t need to know that.” Kevin said.

* * *

Sandra had her hands in her pockets as she waited. She adjusted her hair one more time in the window of the Lazer Tag and walked back to the table. She felt a hand on her shoulder and jumped, but Kevin’s friendly, smiling face calmed her.

“Hi.” he said. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

“It’s okay.” she said, feeling her arousal grow uncomfortable again. She knew he could smell her, but there wasn’t anything she could do about it. She was, after all, a human female. She walked with him out of the mall and out to the parking lot to the Golden Corral that was across the street from the mall. They each got a buffet (he paid), and they sat in the non-smoking section. She felt like such a slut being this horny all through dinner, but nothing she tried seemed to help. She wouldn’t have been able to describe anything of what she ate had someone asked her about it later. Her attention was focussed almost entirely on Kevin. She house-sat for a couple who came during the summer, and it wasn’t far to the house, so she drove Kevin there. After slowing down to ten miles per hour to avoid the anal-retentive cop who prowled there, she pulled into the driveway and put her key in the door lock. She’d never been so horny in her life. All she wanted was to go upstairs and rip his clothes off and beg him to bang her so hard that they would break the legs of the bed, but she managed to take it slowly for the sake of decency. Her panties were soaking wet as they hit the floor, and she was having difficulty keeping control as she removed all her clothing. She waited for him to finish undressing. Her breath was coming in short gasps, and she was mentally pleading with him to Fuck Her, but she managed, barely, to keep control. She climbed into bed, and then he was in control. He gently inserted himself into her waiting slit. She was still tight, having had only two such encounters in her life, but he was gentle. She was so aroused that she didn’t last long, but Kevin was good for another and another. Again and again she orgasmed, until it seemed she would never stop, that she would burst from all the semen inside her. The clock on the nightstand read 6:52 am before they were finished. She knew she shouldn’t fall asleep, but that was just what she did. She didn’t wake up until 6pm that evening. She smelled food cooking and went downstairs to investigate.

“Sleep well?” Kevin asked as she descended the stairs.

“Like a log.” Sandra said. “Which means I slept through class today.”

“Sorry.” Kevin said. “I guess I do tend to get a little enthusiastic.”

“You were wonderful.” she sighed, sinking into a chair.

“I wish I were as good in the kitchen.” Kevin said, glancing at the disintegrated fish patties in the skillet before him, stubbornly resisting his efforts to scoop them out with the spatula. Sandra giggled. She watched as Kevin took a spoon and scooped the pieces into some taco shells he found in the pantry, then added lettuce, tomatoes and cheese to create fish tacos.

“I hear these are all the rage in California.” Sandra said as she accepted four of the tacos. Kevin put hot sauce on his.

“So how does beauty college handle make-up work?” he asked.

“Don’t know. I’ve never missed school before.”

* * *

“I thought I gave word that no one was to enter the protected zones.” Pirondael snarled. “I have not yet crushed Shadows’ apprentices. They still pose a danger. Especially the pregnant one.”

“Yes, Sire.” several Vampires said. The sounds of renewed activity within the hive were a welcome abatement to the silence of near-defeat. Pirondael would never admit it to anyone, but Kevin’s increased powers had frightened him. As far as he knew, the Transcendents had not yet obtained aspects of Ogre, Succubus, Incubus, Harpy, Basilisk, Chimera, Sphynx, Griffin or Wyvern, but they had powers he didn’t, which came from two races he had never been able to claim; the Win-lan, the last of which had become one of Kevin’s apprentices, and the Enforcers, whom no Vampire had ever claimed as apprentice.

“Too many things have gone awry.” Pirondael muttered. “The Transcendents must not be permitted to grow in number. Destroy the Schiff girl and her child. Recruit dark mages to help kill the other Transcendents. Find the disappeared Vampiresses—kill them if you must. The Transcendent threat must end before the Confluence with the two Dark Stars.”

“Yes, Sire.” the Vampires said, disappearing from the room. Unseen by Pirondael, Enforcers watched, relaying what was happening in the hive to Monkshood, who in turn, had it couriered via Daphne to Kevin. Unknown both to Pirondael and to the Enforcers, a shapeless evil watched, waiting, judging, hating.

* * *

It is time, Daphne. the telepathic signal stated. Daphne’s eyes opened. Compelled by commands she could not remember, she dressed and disappeared through a shadow, reemerging in Kevin’s bedroom. The words “and you will come to me” echoed in her head, and she was helpless to shut them out. She stood before him, as all his apprentices stood or sat in various places around the room.

“I promised to call you when my original fifteen apprentices were ready to take apprentices of their own.” Kevin said. “I’m sorry to say I procrastinated, waiting until they all were ready. Then again, maybe it’s better this way.”

“I don’t remember you promising anything of the sort.” Daphne said.

“But I did.” Kevin replied. “And now it is time. Come to me.” Compelled by commands in her mind which infuriatingly resisted all Daphne’s attempts to remember them, she approached. Kevin cut a slit in his throat and put her mouth against it. She felt his fangs sinking into her neck, and the memories returned. Conflicting emotions welled within her, at war with each other. Her face tingled. Her whole body tingled. The tingle was like liquid pleasure. She was drowning in it, but didn’t care. New, unfamiliar emotions joined the internal melee. She was going by instinct, sinking fangs into his neck when she felt the blood flow stop. She drank, and felt her body spasming. Her pelvis thrusted, her knees went weak, her mind clouded. Nothing mattered except her link to her Master. She felt consciousness fading and her fangs retracted. She felt herself being lifted and placed gently on the bed before all went dark.

* * *

“The Confluence is only six months away.” Daphne said. “Pirondael will make his move then.”

“Just what is his move?” Kevin asked, not turning away from the courtyard where former Enforcers, now apprentice Transcendents, trained with their respective instructors.

“We believe Pirondael may try to summon forth the Ultimate Evil, whatever that may be.”

“Why doesn’t anyone ever try to summon the Ultimate Good?” Kevin asked.

“I’m afraid I don’t have an answer to that, Master.” Daphne replied.

“Is Monkshood still bitching about how I should have come to him first before I apprenticed you?”

“You know him.” Daphne sighed. “Always bitching about something.” Daphne was still getting used to her new human emotions. Swearing, in particular, had always been a puzzle to her. Why have words and then forbid people to use them? Humor still defied definition. It simply was. She had learned to accept it. Something that was funny in one moment was not funny in another. It was a thing of the heart, not the mind. The second-generation apprentices had several advantages over the first generation, or even Kevin himself. First, each of the Mistresses only took one apprentice at a time. This allowed for more personal treatment of the situation. Second, they had the benefit of having been taught, rather than having to simply learn on their own like Kevin had, so they knew what teaching methods worked and which didn’t. Third, their teacher wasn’t trying to juggle school AND Vampire-hunting AND teaching forty-one apprentices AND a pregnant wife and still have time for the body’s needs, such as food and rest and the occasional bout of passionate sex. Because of these advantages, the new recruits advanced faster. Jessie, in particular, was a natural teacher (probably because of her arising maternal instincts). Her apprentice, Anemone, had already completed her training and taken an apprentice of her own. Jessie herself was enjoying a much-needed hiatus.

Speaking of whom... Kevin thought, slipping into Jessie’s room. He found her standing in front of a mirror made of ice, staring at her belly.

“I feel like a blimp.” she muttered.

“Oh, you’re only seven months along, Jessie.” he said. “Besides, I think you look beautiful. Why else would I be taking pictures of you all the time?”

“So you’ll have something to get at me with when we’re older.” she said. “Besides, I’m in trance in all those pictures.”

“Only because that’s the only way to get you to pose for me.”

“And how come you never fuck me anymore?” she demanded.

“Because I hardly think our baby would appreciate being squirted in the face.” Kevin replied. Jessie actually laughed at that. “Your laughter is like music, honey.” he said, putting his arms around her and gazing into her eyes. He turned on his hypnotic power. “Now, dear one, I want you to close your eyes and think back to the most passionate night of our relationship. Let me know when you’re there.”

“I’m there.” she sighed, deep in trance. Kevin gently maneuvered her to the bed and stood back.

“I want you to relive that night, especially our lovemaking, over and over again until you pass out.” Kevin was quickly glad he had stepped back. She began to kiss and bite at the air, moaning softly as she did so. That led to kicking and hitting and scratching and screaming. It was fortunate the room was soundproof. She came over and over again, thrashing wildly until she passed out. “I hope that helped alleviate your frustration a little.” he muttered, releasing his hold on her mind.

* * *

Sandra joyously threw herself into Kevin’s arms, glad to finally be off work.

“I love you.” she said.

“So I see.” Kevin replied. They went to the house Sandra was house-sitting in and made love five times.

“What’s wrong?” she asked as they were lying in bed after their fifth round.

“I was just thinking.” he said.

“About what?” she asked.

“About whether or not I should tell you...”

“You’re married, aren’t you?” she asked, hurt.

“That’s not what I meant.” Kevin said, and Sandra sighed in relief. “It’s just...the world’s a little more complicated than you think, Sandra.”

“How do you know what I think?” Sandra asked. “Do you read my mind?”

“No, I respect the privacy of your thoughts.” Kevin said. Sandra smiled.

“Well, all-righty then. Let me tell you what I think, and I want you to promise not to laugh.”

“Scout’s honor.” Kevin said.

“I think that half the schizophrenics complaining of voices in their heads are actually telepaths who can’t shut out other people’s thoughts. I think that vampires and werewolves and whatever are actually hiding and living among us. I think that UFOs are real and the government’s covering it up to keep from frightening people, and I think that the government puts cameras in all electronic appliances and makes people disappear if they find a way to jam their spy-signal.”

“Paranoid, but not without seeds of truth.” Kevin said. “It’s actually closer to three-fifths, and Vampires and Werewolves and other miscellaneous species actually ARE hiding among humans. I...I happen to be one of those miscellaneous species.”

“You?” Sandra asked. “Get out of town!” Kevin caused a fireball to appear in his hand, and tossed it into the trash, burning the balls of paper that sat in the can. Sandra gaped, her mind running at a mile a minute trying to think of how he could have faked it. Kevin conjured clothes for them. Designer clothes. Kevin allowed his wings to spread, wrapping them around Sandra in a protective embrace. “What are you?” she asked.

“All these species we were talking about...they’re called Pretenders, because they pretend to be human and hide among them. Anonymity is their...our...best defense. Many of them are the ones you’ve heard about in legends...Vampires, Elves, Werewolves, Banshee, et cetera, ad infinitum. My Kind is relatively new. I’d like to tell you more about it, if you’ll let me.”

“I want to know everything about you.” Sandra said. “I love you, no matter what species you are.”

* * *

Sandra awoke slowly, as was the habit of those who had just recently experienced powerful orgasms. Someone sat on the bed next to her. She looked up and saw Jessie, her belly protruding in the front, sitting on the bed.

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” Jessie said. “Kevin’s having a conference with Monkshood and Oberon right now, but he’ll be back.”

“It wasn’t a wet dream.” Sandra muttered. “It’s weird. I feel so...accepted.”

“Welcome to the world of Transcendents.” Jessie said, giving Sandra a peck on the cheek. “Kevin wanted me to teach you a simple illusion spell so you won’t have to explain to everybody what happened to your hair.”

* * *

Pirondael hadn’t felt the need to pace in a thousand years. Nevertheless, he was pacing now, circling his chamber on all fours due to its confining properties. Things were not going at all well. Korin von Dunkel had disappeared off the face of the earth, apparently. The Transcendents were hiding somewhere, and Korin’s locator globe was only keyed to Kevin, who was, as far as Pirondael knew, deceased. Even if it were keyed to the others, it wouldn’t work because they stubbornly refused to leave their ever-expanding protected zones. Through his agents, he had hired several humans to find them, but no one had seen so much as a strand of silver hair. An orange glow distracted Pirondael from his musings. He uncovered the glowing object with his talon and lifted it so he could see it better. It was the locator-globe Korin had made, which had been buried in the rubble of their last battle, which had yet to be cleaned up. It was glowing, and the finger within pointed unerringly west.

“He’s alive!” Pirondael snarled. “The boy has a coward’s luck! Vampires all, to me!” A horde of Vampires flooded into the chamber, wondering what had gotten their master so angry. “Shadows is alive. Find him! Tear him apart! Leave nothing to chance!” He tossed the locator to the feet of one of the higher-ranking Vampires, who picked it up and floated out of the room. Once Pirondael was alone again, he began to think. How did he survive? How?! He must be more powerful than I had imagined!

Push!” urged one of the nurses. “Push!” Jessie pushed. The baby was early, but not so much so that he was small enough to be easily delivered. Jessie figured she had miscalculated the due date. There was no way this brick of a child could be a premie. She gave one final push, and felt suddenly lighter. Or maybe just lightheaded. They had barely had time to get her on the table before the baby started crowning. Thus, the childbirth had been completely natural. They hadn’t had time to drug her. It hadn’t been quite as painful as she’d been led to believe. She’d had a couple of bowel movements in her life that had felt similar. Nevertheless, she would feel this for some time yet. She heard a noise, but her tired mind barely registered it.

I really shouldn’t have skipped breakfast. she thought. She felt an odd weight on her chest, and realized that Kevin was trying to give her something. She looked at the tiny being on her chest, silver hair contrasting starkly with its red face as it cried its first cries, and she melted, putting the infant to her breast so he could suckle.

“You’ve got male.” Kevin said with a wry grin.

“Shut up and get me a Big Mac.” Jessie replied. “And get Evan a blanket while you’re at it.” Kevin nodded and left, heading for the McDonald’s attached to the hospital’s ground floor. Evan made contented noises as he fed. Jessie was recovering quickly thanks to her Trancendent nature. She barely heard the sounds of battle raging outside. Someone touched her arm. The doctor. He was asking about the boy’s middle name. Jessie drifted, hunger and fatigue making her dizzy. Her mind grasped for an answer and caught hold of her mother’s maiden name.

* * *

Vampires were converging on the ground floor of the hospital. They seemed to be heading for the McDonald’s in one corner. One Vampire at the head of the group was holding a glowing, orange object that seemed to be leading him in that direction. He was the first one Suzy fried. She and a squad of five, including Katarina, Jade, Tamara, Andrea and Mamba, Suzy’s apprentice, dove from the roof and landed between the Vampires and the McDonald’s.

“For your safety and security, the drive-thru window will not serve walk-up customers.” Suzy said, igniting a fireball in her hand. Mamba emitted a low, threatening growl from deep in her throat. Suzy could sense an inner nervousness within her young apprentice, but it was understandable. They were facing a horde of Vampires, not just the magical constructs Kevin summoned for training purposes. Wait, that’s it! she thought, summoning magical constructs to arise and wear down the opposition. The others followed suit, each creating a thousand mock-Vampires out of the magical energy around them. By the time the Vampires had fought their way through the constructs, only the Vampiric Royals—Princes, Princesses, Kings and Queens—remained.

“The odds are still a hundred to one.” Mamba muttered.

“Boy, are they in trouble.” Tamara said, hurling a ball of pure concussive force at a cluster of Princes. Suzy picked up the strange, glowing ball that the leader had been holding and pocketed it. She would have time to look at it later.

* * *

“It’s definitely a locator.” Suzy said, showing how no matter where it was moved or how quickly it was spun, the finger pointed unerringly to Kevin.

“That’s gross.” Sandra said. “That poor Elf girl.”

“Who knows how many of these Pirondael has.” Jessie said between bites. She had commandeered Kevin’s Big Mac after finishing her own, leaving him to munch fries.

“Cat’s out of the bag.” Kevin said, setting aside his empty fry box. “I figured it was too good to last. When’s that Confluence thing?”

“We still have some time.” Daphne said. “I think we can get the current apprentices through their training before it happens.”

“By how much?” Kevin asked.

“A few weeks.” Daphne replied. “Why?”

We’re going to force Pirondael’s hand for a change.” Kevin said.

* * *

I sense something. Pirondael thought. A presence I have not felt since... “Leave me.” he said aloud. Obediently, the Vampires in the chamber left.

“It’s about time you noticed me, fool.” a disembodied voice said. “I’ve been making my presence tangible for ten minutes at the very least.”

“You’re dead.” Pirondael said. “The Vampire hunter destroyed you.”

“Fool.” the voice said. “Do you honestly believe that that was the only corporeal form I’ve had? Or that I’ve had destroyed? Ha! I laugh at you, Pirondael, constantly trying to maintain your power and importance in that corporeal existence when there are more important things to think about.”

“Such as?”

“Such as ensuring that OUR side will win the war between good and evil, of course.” the voice replied. “I have held as puppets such corporeals as Genghis Kahn, Vlad Tepish, Adolph Hitler, and thousands of others. Through them I have caused millions of deaths, hundreds of millions, even, and each of them adds themselves to the army being amassed. The one thing you’ve gotten right so far is that the Shadows boy has to die, and quickly. The Confluence is approaching, and unless he is destroyed, it will pass without harm to the Earth.”

“You are telling me nothing new.” Pirondael said.

“Well here’s news for you. If Kevin doesn’t kill you before the Confluence happens, it will only be through pure dumb luck. Perhaps I should have told the Vampiric secret of power to someone who knew what he was doing. Never before have I seen such incompetence in an agent of evil, and, brother, I’ve seen some stupid ones.”

“What do you suggest?” Pirondael asked.

“If you survive your next battle, we’ll talk more about it.” the voice said, and then its presence was gone. The roof came crashing down around Pirondael. He roared in rage. Who would dare to do such a thing?

“Pirondael!” Kevin’s voice called from outside. “Are you coming out or do I have to drag you out kicking and screaming?” Enraged, Pirondael climbed through the hole Kevin had created in his roof, and found that his apprentices had more than doubled in number. He recognized the one he had taken hostage before their last battle, but the child was not with her. Presumably she had left it with an ally of theirs.

“You shall regret this course of action, boy.” Pirondael snarled.

“Let’s have at it, then.” Kevin said coolly. He began to grow, his clothes absorbing into his body, a tail sprouting from his backside as wings sprouted from his shoulder blades. In seconds, he was a fully-grown were-dragon, the silver of his body contrasting with Pirondael’s black. He withdrew the shadow hiding his aura, and Pirondael was dazzled by the strength of his aura. His apprentices followed suit. Vampires fled the hive in terror. Pirondael was alone. Kevin lunged, the force of his attack shoving Pirondael backward to crash into the Black Cathedral. Pirondael clouted his opponent on the side of the head, knocking him into one of the towers that were still standing. Another caught him in the side, scratching his flank and sending black blood gushing onto the ground.

* * *

Kevin was careful not to let himself become overconfident. True, they had Pirondael outnumbered, and true, they had caught him by surprise, but he had hordes of Vampires at his command. He could summon them to his aid at any time...couldn’t he? Pirondael was fighting for his life, and he was fighting dirty. Several former Enforcers had sand thrown into their eyes, and Pirondael broke their necks while they were distracted. Kevin clouted him with his tail, and when Pirondael spun around, he grabbed the other’s tail and hurled him back down into his hole. Kevin was about to leap in after him when Pirondael emerged, flying full-throttle into Kevin’s underbelly. He used his talons to scratch at Kevin’s thighs, trying to hamstring him.

* * *

Sven Monsterhunter snarled to himself. It was bad enough that he had let one Pretender get the better of him, but TWO? He had been lucky to get out of that hive alive. Now battle-noises were coming from the direction of the Black Cathedral, and had been for quite some time; nearly an hour, by Sven’s reckoning. His mechanical horse galloped tirelessly toward the battle. He reined it in when he caught sight of the combatants. A flight of silver were-Dragons was giving Pirondael a run for his money. They were also causing quite a bit of damage to the scenery. Sven cocked his crossbow and waited.

* * *

Instinct drew Kevin’s attention to the presence of Sven Monsterhunter in the woods, waiting for the right moment to use his crossbow. He sensed the bolt being fired and instinctively grabbed Pirondael, pulling the demon between him and the bolt. It caught Pirondael in the flank. Just as Kevin had thought, Pirondael had the Dragons’ powerful allergy to Dragonbane. Thus, the bolt took some of the fight out of Pirondael. It wasn’t much, but it was enough to slow him down. He reached for Jessie’s neck, ready to snap it, but Anemone got in the way...and paid the price. Kevin called down fire and ice from the sky, lashing out at Pirondael with fire and brimstone, hail the size of train cars, lightning and gale-force winds that tore Pirondael’s membranous wings as the ice missiles were propelled into them. A katana made of pure psychic energy amputated an arm and the remains of a wing. Kevin ducked another of Sven’s bolts, which caught Pirondael in the neck. Kevin called upon all his power, determined to end this battle quickly.

* * *

Sven Monsterhunter caught sight of one of the fallen Transcendents. She had reverted to her humanoid form. He found himself staring, amazed at how human she looked. Unlike Vampires, she did not decay at an accelerated rate. Unlike Elves, she did not become energy when she died. She had simply reverted to her natural state...like a human. Sven didn’t know her, had had no idea that Pretenders like her existed, except for the male, but was struck by the tragedy of the loss of someone so beautiful. He heard Pirondael’s roar of pain. Sven’s enemy was their enemy as well. He knew what he had to do.

* * *

Pirondael stood over Kevin. He had struck down several of the boy’s Transcendents because unlike them, he followed no code of ethics. He had no qualms about striking a killing blow from behind, nor killing someone while they were down. Now he was about to show the boy just where ‘honor’ and ‘ethics’ got someone. He heard the whine of an engine and turned his head. A human on a mechanical horse was flying toward him, the horse’s VTOL jets holding it aloft while a normal jet engine propelled it. How pathetic. The human opened fire on him with a crossbow, and Pirondael roared in pain and rage. The human leapt off his horse and landed somewhere in the canopy of trees. Pirondael felt the machine clog his windpipe, but what use was such a tactic against someone who did not need to breathe? He had found the human and was bending down to bite his head off when he caught sight of a remote control...with a big, flashing, red button on it. Sven Monsterhunter smiled as he flipped open the protective glass cover and pressed the button.

* * *

Jessie held Evan in her arms while Kevin made his speech. To her right stood Suzy, and to Suzy’s right stood Jade, then Katarina, then Moonseed, then Tina, then Renee, then Bonnie, then Dara, then Nina, then Ephremelda, then Krystal, then Alicia, then Jubilation, then Sonja then Daphne, then Sandra, then Tamar, then Andrea. In front of them sat Kevin’s mother, his adoptive mother, his sister, Suzie, his brother, Kyle, and Kevin’s adoptive father. Behind these two rows hovered the Enforcers. Jessie knew she should be paying attention like everybody else, but she was preoccupied. Sven Monsterhunter stood off to one side, listening. When Kevin finished his speech, he approached Jessie.

“I am truly sorry about the outcome of the battle.” he said. “You maintained your integrity through it all. I wish that had resulted in a swift battle with no losses on your side. However, that is not how it works in real life. I, on the other hand, will make more of an effort to discern good Pretenders from bad ones.”

“Good for you.” Jessie said.

“Has Kevin had any luck locating his sister?”

“She’s well hidden.” Kevin said, interrupting them. “And with Pirondael out of the way, she’s as safe as can be.”

“Don’t be so sure.” Sven said. “There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

* * *

Enjoy your victory while you can, Kevin Shadows. thought the formless evil which had spoken to Pirondael earlier. Go ahead and raise your son. Teach him the use of his powers. I have resources you’ve never dreamed of. When you least expect it, you will die at my hands, and you will know the agony faced by the victims of the spirit of Dracula.