The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Prequel

Part 1: The Soft Curtain

Disclaimer: not a prequel.

I’ve used magic tricks as a plot device before, I know. I’m not obsessed with magicians, really. In real life they tend to be greasy and smell of used car salesman. But what I am interested in is that moment when a mind gets fed some information that doesn’t make sense and has to reconcile that. They can do brain scans to tell if a person is lying; I bet if you took a brain scan of a person as they were shown a good magic trick, it would show something interesting.

* * *

“I’m bored.”

is what the girl said and although Caitlyn couldn’t remember most of the rest of the day, she remembered that clearly.

She was at the library, studying for a history test. She remembered that. Her book and notebook were arranged on the heavy wooden table in front of her, and beyond those a stopwatch ticked away the time until the next study break (15 minutes of study followed by a 5 minute break was the way to do it, the guides all said, and they seemed to be right). The room was big and high-ceilinged and quiet; she came there when there was real work to be done, rather than the study hall, where no one actually studied.

The girl who had spoken was at the other end of the long table, on the opposite side. Her feet were up on the table. There were no books in front of her.

“Cause it’s boring here,” she added.

Caitlyn looked up, forced a smile, held it for the count of two, then went back to reading.

“Wanna see a magic trick?”

“I’m sorry, I really have to study.”

“It’ll only take a sec. Betcha can’t tell how I did it.” She came around and dropped into the chair to Caitlyn’s right, throwing one leg over the other.

No part of her looked like it belonged in a library. Her hair was dark with a purple streak down each side, Rogue-style, and she was wearing a black tube top that was brief enough to make her upper half more skin than cloth. On her lower half was a short, red plaid skirt and army boots. There was a tattoo on her ankle of what appeared to be a panda bear giving the finger.

“Pick a card,” she said. She held out a deck of cards.

“Hi—”

“Lexi.”

“Lexi. I’m sorry, I just don’t have a lot of time and I’ve got to get through this chapter.”

“Pick a card pick a card pick a card!” She punctuated each word with a shake of the deck, grinning.

Caitlyn picked a card.

“K, now look at it but don’t tell me what it is, then put it back in.”

It was the queen of hearts. She put it back in.

Lexi shuffled the deck, tapped it on the table twice, shuffled it again, then cut it.

“This your card?” She held up the queen of hearts.

“Yup.”

“I have clearly not impressed you and therefore we will do more.”

“I’ve really got to—”

“Card! Pick! You!”

Caitlyn took another card. It was the four of clubs.

“K, now put it face down on the table and put your hand over it.” She shuffled the deck in complex and quick motions, like a Vegas dealer, then pulled a card from it and held it up. “This your card?”

It was her card, the four of clubs.

Caitlyn laughed, that moment of childish wonder at being shown a good trick pushing the stopwatch out of her mind.

“If that’s my card, what’s under my hand?”

“Hell if I know.”

Caitlyn turned it over. The queen of hearts.

“All right, how’d you do that.”

“I’d tell you if I was the worst magician ever. One more, and if you can tell me how I did it I’ll leave you to study, even though I dunno why you are because you’re a senior, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Why are you even here? All the seniors I know don’t even bother coming anymore. Your grades are pretty much set in stone now, right?”

“No reason to drop the ball at the last minute.”

“All right, Grades. Tell me how I did this next one and you can go back to getting good grades.” She spread three cards out on the table, flipped one over to show that it was, of course, the queen of hearts, then turned it over again. “Watch close or you’ll miss it.”

“I’m watching.”

“You sure?”

“I’m watching!”

“Keep your eye on that card. Don’t lose track of it. I’m going to mix them up a bit, then see if you can pick the right one.” She began to move the three cards around in circles, just like the street performers with the cups and balls did, using only her right hand.

Caitlyn followed the correct card with her eyes. It was easy; they weren’t even moving that fast.

“K, now flip over whichever you think is the right one.”

It was the middle one. She’d never taken her eyes off of it. She flipped it over.

It was the three of clubs.

“The hell,” she said.

“Oooooh, sorry. Try another.”

She flipped over the left card. It was the six of diamonds.

“Well that last one’s gotta be it,” Lexi said, mock-puzzled.

It was not. It was the ten of spades.

“All right,” Caitlyn said. “Now’s the part where I find it in my bra or something, right?” Her tone was offhand, but she was thrown. She’d been watching closely, and in her mathematical mind, she was bothered that she hadn’t seen the trick.

“Please, if I felt someone up and they didn’t even notice, I’m pretty sure I’m the one that should be offended. It’s in your other hand.”

Caitlyn looked.

She was holding the card in her left hand.

She was holding it. In her hand. Her fingers were actually clasping it.

The sight was so strange that she had a moment of disorientation. Her hand was like some some alien thing in her lap that wasn’t even attached to her. It had apparently done something that she hadn’t told it to do. Looking at it gave her an inner vertigo.

Before she had a chance to react, Lexi said

“One more.” She produced a small gold coin from somewhere and held it up at eye level, about a foot away. “Eyes here.”

Caitlyn’s eyes went to it.

“Keep your eyes on the coin. Watch close, or you’ll miss it.”

She wasn’t going to miss it. She stared at the small golden disc.

“Good. Now, this is more of an illusion than a trick, and it depends on you keeping your eyes on it and not looking away, so I want you to focus all of your attention on it, as if it were the only thing in the room. Block everything else out. Nothing else exists.”

That wasn’t going to be a problem. Her moment of disorientation had become an odd sort of clarity. She felt like she’d stepped outside herself.

Lexi put a hand on her shoulder. Casually.

“Good. Now, hold your arms out, straight out, and clasp your hands together. Good. Squeeze em together. Tight tight tight! Tighter! Good. Make it so that, the stronger the grip your hands have on each other, the stronger the grip of your eyes on the coin will be. You’ll actually feel it happening.”

Caitlyn squeezed, her knuckles turning white, and... it worked. She could actually feel it. It was eerie, but it also felt neat, and somehow natural.

She thought, distantly, that she liked this trick. But she didn’t let that break her concentration.

“I’m going to move it, and your eyes will follow it, like they’re tied to it. Like there’s a laser beam connecting your eyes and the coin.” She moved it about a foot to the left, then a foot to the right, then back to the center.

Caitlyn’s eyes followed it smoothly, with no effort on her part.

“Good. You’re good at this. Squeeze until you feel like your connection with it is so strong that your mind is actually in your eyes. Like your mind is in your eyes and your eyes are on the coin. There’s no separation between you and it. You’re part of the same thing, and if the coin were to go up, you’d go up too, you’d float right up—” She raised it quickly and Caitlyn’s eyes went with it, accompanied by an actual rising sensation in her chest.

“And when it falls you fall down with it—”

She dropped the coin, still talking, but Caitlyn wasn’t listening. Her eyes were following it down, and a sinking sensation throughout her entire body was following it down too,

and Lexi was grabbing her wrist and pulling her arms down,

and Lexi’s other hand was on the back of her head pushing it down,

and Lexi was saying something in her ear, urgent words over and over,

and she couldn’t hear it but she could feel it and it felt like falling.

* * *

“Your eyes are here.”

Her eyes opened. The coin was in front of them.

Her eyes were there.

Lexi placed it on the heavy wooden table and gave it an expert spin.

Caitlyn watched it, aware on some level that she was being spoken to but perceiving it more as ideas than sounds. It spun in tight loops on the table, and she understood that if it fell, she would too, and she did her very very best to hold it up so that that wouldn’t happen, but after about twenty seconds it began to wobble and dip, and each time it dipped her vision dimmed a little, until the wobbles became uneven and it slowed and finally fell over, rattling as it came to a stop, and she fell down through the chair into

* * *

an escalator that went down forever, an endless silver staircase that disappeared into darkness, and around it was dark and beside it was dark and there was no floor or ceiling or anything but it.

She was speaking. Answering questions.

Her grades were pretty important to her, weren’t they?

Yes.

If she could be guaranteed a perfect score on her test, and all she had to do was sit there on the escalator and keep going down, would she?

Yes. Of course.

Well then she was in luck, because that’s all she had to do.

The metal grating hummed beneath her legs as she rode down. The darkness was warm, and nice.

* * *

Her history book was in her lap, open to the chapter the test was on. She wasn’t exactly reading it; it was more like she was absorbing facts straight off of the page, and she knew with an absolute certainty that she would remember every one of them, even the little details that people usually forget, as long as she stayed on the escalator and didn’t try to get up.

To prove it, Lexi took the book away and asked her things.

Who led the raid at Harper’s Ferry?

John Brown did.

On February 7th, 1861, the first seven states to secede from the Union established a temporary capital where?

Montgomery, Alabama.

It was like magic. She was so grateful. The test had been a worry in her stomach all day. History was her worst subject.

Well, she didn’t have to worry about that anymore. She could relax now.

The escalator kept going down, except now, instead of hard metal grating, she was on a comfy easy chair. That was convenient, to have one of those on an escalator. She lay her head back and sighed. It was wonderful.

She could stay on there all day if she wanted. While she did, Lexi could tell her how she could come back here whenever she wanted, and how to come back here to get answers while she took the test, and how Lexi could help her come back here later on, too. Did that sound like something she wanted to do?

Yes. Yes, it did.

It got darker. The darkness was like a physical presence, another element. She felt heavy and nice and sleepy and heavy and nice and heavy, and on and on.

And on.

She answered more questions. Not about the test. They weren’t important. The answers fluttered out of her into the happy ether and she didn’t think about them. She didn’t think about anything. Who would want to?

Down and down. There was no bottom.

* * *

The next thing she was aware of was sitting in class. No passage of time whatsoever; the 40 minutes in the library and the time walking from there to class were simply gone, and she did not think about them. It was like she was watching a movie starring herself, or a dream; it had its own internal momentum and she was content just to see what happened.

The test came and she looked at it blankly for a long time. She didn’t know any of the answers. Not one. It may as well have been written in Russian. She didn’t panic, though; she knew that that was part of the movie.

An odd calm was all over her, in her arms and her hair and the roof of her mouth, and the more she stared at the first question the more she became certain that she was about to know it, and then...

It was like she blacked out for a split second, and when she came back, her mind had narrowed to a point and she knew the answer.

She filled it in with her number 2 pencil and moved onto the next one.

It happened again: a tiny moment of vertigo followed by a split second of blankness followed by a sudden certainty and a pleasant feeling up the backs of her arms. It got easier and easier with each question. It got like a slideshow, with each slide a question and no time in between.

She got better and better at it without knowing or thinking about what it was. It was like magic.

Poof, tingle, knowledge.

* * *

And then she was standing in the hall outside of class.

She’d time traveled. Or something.

No, she’d handed the test in. It took a moment but it came back to her. She’d walked up to the front and put it on the desk and the teacher had looked up, owlish and surprised through his thick glasses, and he’d said something and she’d said something back, and he’d chuckled and then she’d walked out.

And now she was standing in the hall with the feeling that she was supposed to be doing something and unable to remember what it was. She stared at the lockers across the hall with the kind of idleness of someone lying in bed on the weekend, having just woken up and with no need to go anywhere.

She missed the poof and the tingle. For a moment she actually considered going back in and getting another test, but that would be ridiculous. Maybe she could quiz herself or something, or find a quiz online. There had to be thousands. The Civil War was not an unpopular subject.

Or she could go back to the library.

That gave her an odd sense of deja vu and a less odd sense of niceness. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but the shape of something loomed as if on the periphery of her vision, something glowing that felt like a sigh.

She wanted to go back there.

As it turned out, she didn’t have to.

“How’d ya do?” A woman’s voice—no, a girl’s voice that sounded like a woman’s—spoke from startlingly near her, and she spun.

Lexi.

Leaning against a locker not twenty feet away, smiling and gorgeous with her bare arms and shoulders and... all the rest of her.

The hall seemed to dim around her. To tunnel.

She approached slowly, letting one foot fall in front of the other, a kittenish grin curling the corners of her lips. Her plaid skirt swayed from side to side, propelled by the motion of her legs.

She stopped less than two feet away, just a hair closer than normal speaking distance, with her way of ignoring personal space and making it seem like that was a normal thing to do.

“Good, I think,” Caitlyn heard herself say, as if from a great distance.

“Did ya have fun?”

“Yeah.” A dopey grin spread across her face.

On one level she knew that there was something out of the ordinary about all of this. She did know that. But the knowledge felt remote and unimportant, like flashes of lightning that are too far away to hear the thunder.

She wanted to see what Lexi would do next. She didn’t know what it would be, but she was sure it would be... fun.

Lexi stepped closer. Her icy blue eyes were steady and engaging, vibrating with magnetism. The line of her jaw looked like something perfect.

“Do you have any other big tests coming?”

“The SATs again, tomorrow.” She sighed. She’d taken them twice and gotten a 1955 and a 2026. Above average for sure, but not Harvard scores. They were state college scores.

“How would you feel about a 2400?”

Caitlyn’s reaction was sudden and almost violent. The sensation that shot through her chest was more visceral than if she had been thrown down on the floor of the gymnasium and fucked in front of the entire school.

“That’s not even possible,” she mumbled. “For me.”

“Maybe not. If the answer’s not already in your head, I can’t put it there. But if it is...” She took a half step closer, never breaking eye contact. Her breath smelled like bubble gum. “I can make that happen. It’ll be like it was just now, in there. It’ll all just come to you. Like falling off of a log. You don’t even have to do anything, it’ll all just happen. Like magic.”

When she said like magic she grinned and Caitlyn felt herself smile back, like a child held rapt by a clown. She thought that Lexi would make a good politician. She had a way of saying things that made you want to agree. That made you feel as if you had already agreed.

“So whaddaya say? Do you want to go... study?”

Caitlyn felt herself nod once, slowly.

“Quick.” Lexi held her hand out, as if offering a handshake.

Caitlyn, as a natural reaction, reached for it.

But instead of shaking her hand, Lexi grabbed her by the wrist and yanked her forward, off balance.

In that moment of sudden confusion, time seemed to slow.

Lexi was speaking quickly and snaking a pale arm up her back, into her hair, and pulling her head down and saying something over and over, something that she felt rather than heard. The words felt like deja vu and letting go, like things with actual physical weight tied to strings deep within her. They pulled her.

She was only dimly aware of her feet getting tangled up with each other on the linoleum, or of Lexi’s other hand wrapping around her waist and pulling her into an embrace, or of the strength going out of her body, or of her head dropping forward, or of her eyes closing.

* * *

She was walking on a beach. In a cave. No, it was a cave but with a sandy floor like a beach. It was a tunnel that was long and dark and she was walking and enjoying the walking.

Sights and sounds occasionally filtered in from the outside, but they were like reflections on a murky pool. They fluttered out of her memory as quickly as they came.

They were leaving school; the previous class had been her last of the day. She passed some girls she knew in the hall. They smiled and said something and she said something back. It was outwardly normal and natural, but inwardly, it was like a soft curtain had drawn over her thoughts and she was traveling on rails.

They were in her car, but she was in the passenger seat. Lexi was talking in that way of hers that never quite let the mind rest and always led to a new idea right before the old one ended, and Caitlyn was listening without listening, hearing it more as ideas than words.

She sighed and leaned her head back. The seat had reclined. She felt trapped by the seat belt, but in a good way, and then Lexi reached over and drew a hand down over her eyes and she was back in the cave that was a beach.

“You’re very good at this,” Lexi was saying.

They were at Caitlyn’s house, in her room. Her mother was not home from work yet. She was sitting cross-legged on the floor with her SAT study guides spread out in a semicircle before her and one in her lap, which she was reading, or seemed to be. Her eyes were darting back and forth across the page, absorbing facts with a computerlike speed and accuracy.

But in her mind, all she saw was the coin. It hovered about a foot from her eyes: little, round, golden, perfect.

Her mind was in her eyes and her eyes were on the coin.

“I had a feeling about you, as soon as I saw you sitting there with that stopwatch,” Lexi said. “I don’t know what it was, I just knew. You’re better at this than anyone I’ve had the pleasure of... doing this with. You’re in the top five percent, maybe top two.

“This is still pretty new to me, too. I started learning a couple years ago and have done it with a lot of people since then, but never any that focused so easily, so naturally, as if their minds were a telescope and all I had to do was point them towards something they wanted to look at.

“Everyone’s a genius at something. You’re a genius at this.”

Caitlyn didn’t answer. It had been a long time since she had spoken or felt the need to speak. Her mind was in her eyes and her eyes were on the coin. Another theorem spun its way through the bottom of her mind.

“Actually, now that I think about it, there were probably one or two others like you, but I was too new and clueless to recognize it. I’m learning a lot from you. The signs to look for, what to do when I see them, how to... well.

“I think we’re going to make a great team.” There was a light smile in her voice. “And now it’s time for a break.”

The book disappeared and then she was on the escalator again, riding down into darkness. She’d spent a lot of time doing that: floating down, sinking down, sometimes suddenly falling down. Always deeper. She seemed to remember Lexi saying that the deeper she went the better she’d be able to focus and remember things, and that certainly seemed to be true. Sometimes Lexi quizzed her, and each time, the knowledge came more easily.

At the end of each exercise Lexi gave her certain words to remember that, when she heard them, would bring her back to that state of mind. It would happen instantly, automatically, with no action on her part. Like the power going out.

She got very, very good at it.

Over and over. Always deeper.

Always, right before they practiced those things, Lexi would ask her if that was something she wanted to do, and she would hear herself say yes. It seemed like Lexi had asked her the same thing fifty times. It was pointless. Whatever Lexi asked her, the answer would be a big yes. There was the kind of electric crackle behind everything she said that happens when you first meet someone whose company you enjoy. In that moment of discovery, everything is a big yes.

Caitlyn heard herself whisper yes again and couldn’t remember the question.

* * *

Lexi charmed her mother easily. The way she introduced herself was not unlike the way a male suitor might introduce themselves to a girl’s father. Caitlyn wondered whether or not she was imagining it and decided she was.

The only hitch came when she told her mother Lexi would be staying the night. Her mother raised her eyebrows and said

“Aren’t you a little old for sleepovers?”

And Lexi said

“Yeah, but for some reason boys think slumber parties are hot.”

Her mother laughed and that was that.

Caitlyn watched from the sidelines, thinking that Lexi was far smarter than she let on, and that even the backs of her arms looked good.

Then they were back in her room, and the door was closing, and there were fingers in her hair, and then nothing.

* * *

She had one more flash of lucidity that day. Or that night, as it turned out.

Motion on the bed woke her, and then the sound of a door closing. She opened her eyes and looked around the dark room, confused.

She’d been having a long and repetitive dream that she was a puppet in an old time marionette show. There was no audience; it was just her. Soft ropes were tied to her wrists, ankles, elbows and knees, and one about her waist held her up. She hung limp in the air while her limbs were manipulated in a sort of slow dance, like a ballet where her feet never touched the ground. It felt wonderful. Every little tug of the rope as it controlled her felt divine and somehow right and she wanted it to never end. But it did end, and always in the same way: she would dip back until her entire body was arched, her arms and head hanging loose, like a damsel on the cover of a horror magazine, and then the lights would fade, and then it would begin again.

As she blinked it away the door opened and Lexi stood on the threshold, silhouetted by the light behind.

She was wearing Caitlyn’s pajamas. They were purple and didn’t fit her quite right. Her body was more womanly than Caitlyn’s; her hips were wider and she was larger topside, too. Pajamas looked ridiculous on her but good, too, in a way that was silly but not quite, like an uncomfortable joke.

Then the light went out and she was just a nice smelling ghost and there was motion on the bed and she was in it.

They were sleeping in the same bed, side by side. Nothing strange about that; it was a big bed and they were a bit old for sleeping bags.

But for some reason the thought of it—that the body under the sheets with her, inches away, belonged to purple-pajamad Lexi—that it was her weight that was causing the mattress to dimple slightly on that side—caused a feeling in Caitlyn’s belly that was halfway between discomfort and exhilaration, and she closed her eyes to make it go away.

Her day began to replay on the backs of her eyelids. It was a rush of experience and not all of it made sense. Now, laying in the dark, was the first truly lucid moment she’d had since the library. She struggled to hold onto it. It was like trying to remember a dream: it had been fresh when she woke up but the threads had already begun to dissolve. She struggled to put words to what the nagging idea was but it kept getting farther away.

It was like her day had been a semi-conscious gestalt. Like she’d been hypnotized. There had been no pocket watch or counting backwards or imagining her eyelids getting heavy—it was all just talking. But something had... happened. She groped in the thick ether of her own mind.

A shift of weight beside her.

She pretended to be asleep.

But somehow Lexi knew.

Fingers brushed her neck, then slipped up into her hair, and there was a whisper—

She was heavy and tired and nice and heavy and nice and heavy and wanted nothing more than to sleep. The bed and the pillow were some kind of heaven. Lexi whispered something else. The words were like the dark hidden gears that drive the rides at an amusement park.

The idea that Caitlyn had been so carefully trying to construct fell through her hands and she sank through the mattress.