The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

“The Odyssey”

by ThatSquickGuy ()

Chapter 2

Part 6: Investigation

Evie was stuck. She’d been trying to get some answers about the slime for the last hour, but it seemed to mess with her scanners even at close range.

“I hope this means I didn’t miss anything in my exam of the away team.” Evie mused out loud. Then, as she leaned back in her chair she lightly tossed her data pad onto the counter. “I hate computers.” She groaned.

Evie looked over at David and Meg in the science lab through the thick, shatter resistant, mostly glass wall and hoped they were having better luck than her. They were still in their full suits for safety.

“I’m lucky. At least I don’t have to wear a full enviro suit anymore.” She mumbled.

They’d given her a sample of the slime in a tube she could hook up to her machines without opening it, but it seemed that scanners weren’t cutting it. Meanwhile, they were trying to break it down using ‘old school’ methods, namely a quickly constructed centrifuge, but it was going to take a while to hear about the results from that. So instead, she was going over the data that the away team’s handheld sensors recorded. While that was happening, she had set the computer to look for any inconsistencies with the medical data from the away team.

She slowly sat back up. “Might as well get back at it.” She picked up the pad again. “Hmm… 90% humidity, 37 degrees Celsius; no wonder Marybeth’s catsuit was drenched. Now I really wonder what this slime produces. And what could it do to the human body?” She looked over at the air readout on the scanner. “What else do we know? The atmosphere is… 71% nitrogen. 20% oxygen! That’s almost a perfect copy of Earth! What about the rest? The rest are ‘unrecognized gases?’ How is that possible?”

She quickly started trying to break down the other gases, but the computer came back with many unknown combinations. She groaned again. Now she was even more stuck. She needed to know what the slime was made of before she could figure out what it might do.

“Now I really hope I didn’t miss anything.”

She couldn’t do much without either waiting for David and Meg or testing the slime’s effects on a live person. She glanced back over at them and hoped they could work faster.

* * *

David was back in his element. He missed being able to just scan something and having its makeup instantly revealed, but doing it manually made him feel like a kid again with his first chemistry set. David smiled as he looked over at Meg, currently trying different liquid ways to break down the slime.

He’d had a crush on her since they’d first met on the ship, but he’d never act on it. She was so pretty with her green eyes sparkling behind her glasses and the way her hair was scrunched up around her face. She always had it pulled back in a ponytail, but he thought she looked great this way too. She looked good no matter what. He was really glad that the limited field of view afforded by the helmets they were wearing kept her from seeing him watching her. He knew should be watching the video footage of the trip while he waited for the results of his tests, but he had gotten distracted. He’d be so embarrassed if she turned right now and caught him staring at her.

“Could you hand me another sample of slime? It looks like the pure hydrochloric acid isn’t cutting it.” Meg turned and bumped her helmet against David’s who was already looking her way. She giggled a little. “Oops. Sorry.”

“Uhh… Yeah. Just, uh, just a second.” David stammered and fumbled for another small tube of slime. In his embarrassment and haste, he dropped it as he spun around to face Meg. Somehow, Meg managed to stick her foot out in time to slow it down before the container bounced off her boot, hit the floor, and rolled into the corner.

Meg was wincing and had her eyes closed, “Did I get it?” She said sheepishly.

“Nice catch!”

“It wasn’t really a catch…” Meg smiled as she looked over and went to get the sample. “It looks fine I don’t think we’ve got a problem. It’s a good thing these containers are about as tough as that slime.”

“Yeah… Thank goodness!” David chuckled awkwardly. “So, uh, any luck on the liquids side of things?”

“No, not yet. I think we’ll run out of slime before we run out of things to test against it. It seems like it’ll resist nearly everything. Even up to our superacids.” She paused and smiled at him. And imitating his awkward style, “So, uh, any luck on the laser side of things?”

“No, but I’m testing ultraviolet light right now. Wanna see?”

“Sure.” She said with a smile as she carefully put the tube back on the counter.

“I’ve had it on there about a minute, so we should know by now.” David turned off his machine and pulled the tube out of it. He waved his scanner over it, knowing it would probably return nothing. After a tense few seconds, the scanner beeped as it actually detected something inside. “Yes! We actually have something!” David turned around to hug Meg and almost hit her with the tube as he swung around.

“Ahh!” Meg screamed and managed to step out of the way just in time.

“Oh! Meg, I’m so sorry!”

Meg was laughing. “It’s okay! But be more careful. That’s twice you’ve almost killed me!”

“Sorry.” Now it was David’s turn to laugh. “But now we can finally detect this stuff and see what it’s made of!”

“I know. But you don’t have try to get it all over me.” She paused for a second. “Hey look! The slime is glowing!” She was right. The slime was now glowing a soft blue.

“You’re right.” David smiled as he looked at the glowing tube in his hand.

“So, what’s this weird stuff made of, cool guy?” Meg walked over and held David’s arm down so she could look at the scanner is his right hand. She leaned over his shoulder to get a good look. “Hey… aren’t these almost the same readings you got from the atmosphere? Do you think the slime breaking down is creating the whole atmosphere?”

David had always wanted to be this close to Meg, and so he absentmindedly answered her questions. “Uh… Yeah. Could be. Maybe…”

Meg held onto his arm for a few seconds longer and then she sighed lightly. “Well, at least that’s one mystery solved.” Then she said slowly. “Well, I better get back at it.” She headed back to her station to see if she could find something to dissolve the slime.

“Thanks.” David sighed. He was so stupid! Why could he never keep his cool around her? He wished they didn’t have to wear these stupid suits. That would have so much nicer if he could have actually felt her. He slowly set the still glowing sample down and went back to watching the video of the trip.

* * *

Evie had been watching the whole thing. Why wouldn’t those two just get together? Why wouldn’t Meg just tell David how much she liked him? He was basically all she talked about when they were alone. Evie always wanted to play matchmaker. She wished her own love life could be as simple as someone else liking her but never saying anything. Oh, well. Evie resisted the urge to call in there and ask what they’d found. And maybe ask a few other things too. Maybe move things along.

She sighed.

In any case, they’d tell her what they found pretty soon and she still had more data from the away team’s exams to go over. But at least this was more interesting to watch than staring at the stupid computer screen.

She slowly turned away and looked over the records that she’d taken from the team. She hadn’t found anything wrong with Marybeth, but that was something wrong. There should have been some kind of injury after the fall she took. Evie started to look over the blood samples she’d taken. She hoped that Marybeth would be alright until tomorrow.