The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Master PC – Child of the Program

TechnicDragon

Part 5: Clearing Sky

Chapter 38: Houses

Nervousness would have been expected as a small horde of people approached Michael and me. I was more than nervous. I was ready to run for my life. Michael honestly didn’t expect anything to happen, but I wasn’t so sure.

“Does your House Lady always travel with so many people?” I whispered.

“No. She usually has her personal assistant and one or two others.” Michael glanced at me sideways. “I can only imagine the others are curious about you more than anything.”

“Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of.”

Michael didn’t ask what I meant but stepped forward and held out his hand to Lady Laura Arneson of House Isaacs. I had almost expected him to bow or kneel, but he merely shook her hand and talked to her in low tones like someone might with anyone else. I guess the title and all the fears had me on such an edge I was getting ready for just about any possibility.

Lady Arneson was a very attractive woman. Her hair was a normal brown and tied up in a tight bun, but I could tell it would fall easily to her waist. Her face had high cheek bones and well-shaped lips. She wore light make-up and dark sunglasses. I didn’t think the sunglasses were necessary with the heavy overcast, but then some wore them outside all the time just like a coat in the winter. She did wear a long trench coat that was buttoned up and tied at the waist. It covered whatever she wore underneath and her hands were deep in her pockets.

I had gotten dressed after saving my family, but I was still cold even in my new coat and scarf. I huddled against the chill air and waited their approach. Lady Arneson didn’t waver or slow as she approached. She was determined to meet me.

Glancing over at my family, I noted worried looks on Chloe and Yvonne’s faces. They knew what this might mean and like me waited with bated breath to see what was going to happen.

~If I have to fight, get my family to safety, please,~ I thought to my girls. Everyone nodded.

I looked back at the approaching crowd and waited on the edge of a razor between holding my ground and running as Lady Arneson stopped in front of me. She had a pleasant smile and held out her hand to me. “Mr. Nautikuus, at last we meet.”

Michael looked a touch shocked. I don’t think he knew that she was aware of my birth name. Then again, I wasn’t sure there was much she wasn’t aware of. If she was anything like me, she could communicate with all of those bound to her and I was sure she had many, many more to draw information from than I did.

I wore gloves as did Lady Arneson. Slowly I reached out and took her hand. She shook mine slow and gentle. The pleasant look on her face never faltered.

“I know you must be nervous, maybe even a bit paranoid, so I will keep this short and to the point. I wish to thank you, Mr. Nautikuus for your assistance. We have been after the individual for quite some time and had not even found out who it was until you stepped in to help.”

She let go of my hand. I put it back in my pocket. “Well, considering he was after my family, I couldn’t just sit by and do nothing.”

She nodded. “I understand. Anyone would protect their family just as readily, though from the reports I received, not many would have necessarily survived the experience just as I heard you had almost not.”

“He didn’t hurt me so much as get lucky.”

“Luck holds more sway over any fight that anyone would care to guess. His luck was not enough. If he had killed you, then your family would still be at his mercy and we would be no closer to stopping him.”

“You do realize that his issue is with himself more than anyone else. He’s trying to find a way to justify what happened to him and needs help. He doesn’t need a prison or punishment.”

Lady Arneson shook her head. “He’s already killed before, Mr. Nautikuus. This is not a matter of what has happened only recently. He is wanted by state and local police as well as House Isaacs. He will stand trial for his crimes and face punishment.”

“What kind of punishment?”

“That is for the courts and our Council to decide.”

“Who will be looking for him?”

“Our Dragons alongside the civilian police and maybe even the FBI. I daresay that only we will be able to contend with his abilities though.”

“You should not send those who helped cause his psychosis to find him. That will only torture him further.”

She cocked her head to the side. “Oh? And how do you know of what ails Randal Nautikuus?”

I looked past the Lady to Michael. Obviously he had not told her everything he knew about me, and apparently neither had Andrea. That was more of a surprise. The problem was now, if I wanted to find Randal help for real, then I needed to be more forthcoming. I turned back to the Lady. “I can see the memories of others. His memories told me what had happened to cause his current problems.”

I could see the Lady’s eyebrow raise and she turned to look at Michael. His face remained neutral, if a bit surprised, as though my news had caught him off guard as well as her.

Lady Arneson looked back at me. “Tell me, Mr. Nautikuus. Just what are your intentions?”

I was taken aback for a moment. “Intentions? I guess I don’t understand the question.”

“What do you intend to do?”

“Do about what?”

She looked back at Michael again as if he might be able to help her ask such a vague question.

“Lady Arneson is curious, along with the others gathered here, about what you intend to do. You do not belong to a House, yet you have a colored mark. You have already bound one Mage to you, and that is the sign of a new House. If I am guessing my Lady’s curiosity correctly, are you planning on starting a new House?”

I shrugged. “I honestly don’t know. The binding with the doctor was accidental. I could easily unbind him but then he wouldn’t have the ability he asked me to share with him.”

Again the raised eyebrow. “And what ability was that?”

“My ability to heal.”

Whispers broke out among those gathered. I looked around and made sure the news and emergency crews were out of earshot.

“What is the extent of damage you can heal?”

I shrugged. “Cuts, broken bones, bruising. I even brought one of my... schiavi back to life once.”

The whispering slowed and died. Then one of the others asked, “You brought someone back from death?”

I nodded. “Her throat had been sliced open and she died in my arms. I just went after her and brought her back. She was one of mine. I think that if I had not been bound to her I never would have found her in the Void.”

The shocked faces that looked at me made me feel nervous again. I looked back at Lady Arneson. “I’m surprised you’re talking to me about all of this in such open air. What happened to the Second Law?”

“Everyone here and listening is a Mage. They know the laws. Everyone else is too distracted to care.”

I looked around. Sure enough, even my own girls, who I thought would have been watching our every move, were instead watching the paramedics care for my family. Anna was even helping. The news crew was busy packing up and getting ready to leave. The police along the street were pulling away one cruiser at a time.

“Are you doing this?” I asked turning back to the Lady.

“I am. I do not wish us to be overheard.”

“And are there any other surprises I should know about?”

She looked at Michael with puzzlement. He shrugged. She turned back to me. “What other surprises do you mean?”

“The prophecy and the First Law. What about the prevention of the first sign of this world’s end?”

“Oh. Ah, I see. Yes, the First Law. Well, the prophecy states that your birth is the first sign. Not you specifically. So, to be honest there’s nothing we can do to prevent the first sign any longer.”

“Well, then what does the rest of the prophecy say? If my birth is only the first sign, there must be others.”

She shook her head. “That information is classified. Only House Lords and Ladies are privy to that information.”

“And if I am now a House Lord...”

She shook her head again. “Officially you are not considered a House Lord until the Council recognizes your House. You will have to petition with them for an official title before you can learn more about the prophecy or any other classified information.”

“Then when might I meet with the Council and place my bid?”

“They convene once a season, or once every three months. Their next assembly will be in March.”

“Then that should be sufficient time to be prepared. What is required?”

Lady Arneson smiled at me. “You are persistent, and I have little time.” She turned to Michael. “Michael should be able to assist you with your goals. To know that he has already done so much to help you is a disappointment to House Isaacs.”

Michael looked from Lady Arneson to me and back again. This time I think the look of surprise was genuine.

“Michael, I do hope you enjoy your new House, and do call upon me and mine again if you have need,” the Lady said and Michael’s mark, the halo around his head, became visible and faded from gold to gray. Lady Arneson had set him free.

She turned to me. “I do have to leave, but I ask, is there anything I can do as payment for your assistance.”

I was again caught off guard. “I don’t require payment for my help.”

She smiled. “Then think of it as a reward.”

I glanced at Michael and he was nodding slowly with wide eyes. It took almost no thought at all. I knew what I wanted. “Call off anyone hunting for me. My home in Texas was invaded and my schiavi were attacked. I want them safe.”

“Done,” and she held out her hand. “I do hope that you gain your title and House, Mr. Nautikuus. I believe our two Houses could accomplish great things.”

I shook her hand again. “Thank you.”

She turned and moved through the parting crowd. Some looked back at me with awe, some with a touch of fear, but they all left. Michael was beaming at me.

“Well, Mr. Nautikuus,” he said drawing himself up into a regal imitation of the Lady. “I seem to be in need of a House. You wouldn’t know one I could join, do you?”

I grinned and held out my hand to him. “Welcome to House Nautikuus.”