The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Last One Standing

Chapter 2

“Let me get this straight. Three months of tracking, nearly two dozen victims, and a wrecked company car. I suppose you’re expecting congratulations that you managed to catch one untrained wilder.”

Elizabeth tried not to shrink back as High Priestess Theodora looked up from the report. The priestess was a stern, middle aged woman. Despite traces of gray in her hair, Theodora was still an attractive, albeit intimidating woman. The years left her with a mature, aristocratic beauty that conjured images of some powerful matriarch of old.

At least that was how she appeared. Since Elizabeth first met her, the priestess hadn’t visibly changed. In fact, no one in the temple could remember Theodora aging. Even more, nobody had the slightest clue how old the priestess was, and her past remained a mystery save that she was a founding member of the temple. Half whispered stories hinted at tremendous ability.

There would have to be. Aging could be delayed to a limited extent. Small tricks to slow the ravages of time just a hair. Nothing too far beyond a normal person. With skilled help, one might push that even further, but nothing like the agelessness of Theodora. That hinted at tremendous ability or powerful connections. Connections outside the temple, predating it by decades if not centuries.

That made it hard to stand her ground against Theodora’s displeasure. Elizabeth did her best anyways.

“He was,” Elizabeth tried to think of the best way to put it, “slippery.”

Theodora raised an eyebrow.

“Slippery?”

Elizabeth blushed.

“I mean, we should have caught him half a dozen times, but whenever we got close he’d change his pattern and go off the radar until the trail went cold. Frankly, we were lucky we caught him today.”

Now that Elizabeth thought about it, she was disconcerted at how defenseless he’d been once they finally got to him. Although this particular case would be a mark against her reputation, she was good at what she did. Someone able to evade her should have at least put up a decent fight.

“Very well,” said Theodora “Let’s start from the beginning. I want to know exactly how someone was able to evade one of my field agents for so long.”

Elizabeth gulped, then started talking. This was going to be a long, long day.

* * *

Lisa plopped down across the table from her mentor. They had both been grilled for hours, and she was more than ready to hit her bunk. Neither spoke while they ate. They were too worn out for conversation. The meal was tasty, of course. An organization with the temple’s particular talents had little trouble hiring a competent kitchen staff.

“At least it’s over,” Lisa said with a wan smile.

“Hmm? Yeah, I guess so,” said Elizabeth. Lisa could tell that she had something on her mind, but didn’t press.

After another minute or two of silence, Elizabeth continued.

“Accident aside, you didn’t do half bad today. Your takedown was clean, you did a good job masking your presence. Your awareness was, if not good, then at least improved.”

“Thanks,” said Lisa, “though the accident is a pretty big aside.”

Lisa still couldn’t believe she’d been distracted enough to screw up like that.

“You know,” continued Elizabeth, “it’s just another couple months until you’re ready to be on your own.”

Lisa had mixed feelings. Yeah, she was excited at the prospect of being a full agent. Yeah, Elizabeth’s confidence made her proud. Still, a couple months was such a short time, and she wasn’t close to prepared.

Elizabeth noticed her train of thought.

“Don’t worry. You’re coming along great. Trust me, when the time comes, you’ll be ready.”

Stifling a yawn, Elizabeth pushed away her plate and stretched.

“Speaking of which, you might want to get some sleep. With that business in the city taken care of, we can resume your regular training nice and early tomorrow.”

Lisa managed not to groan.

“Sir yes sir,” she said with a wry smile before the two said goodbye for the evening.

Elizabeth’s advice was good, of course, and she started towards her bunk. As a trainee, Lisa was required to live on premises. Elizabeth had no such restriction, but she was in and out so much that it made sense to take a room. Lately, it had gotten more use than her apartment in the city.

Granted, Lisa had seen her mentor’s quarters. They were a heck of a lot nicer than the austere bunks available to trainees. Of course, that wouldn’t be an issue much longer.

That was an intimidating thought. She tried to imagine being out on her own, responsible for her own little block of territory. That was hard to picture. It wouldn’t be a huge downtown like Elizabeth had to contend with. Lisa had neither the experience nor the talent to manage so many people. No, she’d get some small suburb, or maybe even one of the isolated rural villages up in the nearby hills. Even one of those was daunting, but Lisa had to trust in her experience and training.

At any rate, that assignment might not last all that long. Lisa had been giving serious thought to the “covert operations” wing. As good a teacher as Elizabeth was, Lisa knew she’d never match her observational skills. Concealment was another story. That was a direction she’d long since exceeded her mentor, to the point that she’d been allowed supplemental training early. Lisa enjoyed those moments. Although she wouldn’t trade her time with Elizabeth for anything, she was impatient for the day she’d be eligible.

Lost in thought, Lisa didn’t notice the man coming down the hall until they collided.

“Sorry,” she mumbled, moving to the side.

“Watch where you’re fucking going!” the man said.

Shocked by his tone, Lisa shot a glare at him. There was the strangest feeling of deja-vu. She didn’t recognize him at first, which itself was strange. By now, she knew just about everyone at least by appearance. At the same time, there was something terribly familiar about him. She’d seen that face before, but not in that temple uniform. Where?

Then it dawned on her. She should have realized from the start, but she’d been too tired to make the connection.

“You!”

“Shit!” he said, realizing he’d been caught.

A sharp pain hit her side, and Lisa’s whole body seized up. It broke her concentration, and her nascent attack fizzled. An intense, pulsing agony shot through her body. Her limbs gave out, dumping her to the floor. After the longest seconds in her life, she looked back up, confirming her worst fears. It was him, the guy they’d grabbed this very morning. He was standing over her with a triumphant smirk. In his hands a taser. Long wires dangled loosely from it, trailing towards her prone form.

Shaking away disorientation and nausea, Lisa tried to defend herself. As she put up shields and started to attack, his finger smashed against the trigger.

“Ah, ah, ah,” he taunted when she collapsed again. “Didn’t think my friends would let me rot in here, did you bitch? You owe me for earlier, and I mean to collect.”

Gasping on the ground, Lisa could feel him push against her defenses. He was unskilled as ever, but she was hardly in a position to fight back.

“Too bad I don’t have time to play now, but don’t worry slut. I promise we’ll have fun later.

The last thing she saw was his ugly smirk before he jabbed the trigger.

Mercifully, this time she passed out.

* * *

Lisa woke to sirens ringing throughout the base. Someone was shaking her shoulder. Lisa groaned, trying to force her eyes open.

“Get up girl, we don’t have all day.”

She managed to crack an eyelid open. Her head swam, and it was tough to focus.

“H- High Priestess?”

Theodora looked down with a fierce, yet concerned expression. The priestess reached out a hand, and Lisa took it. Regaining her feet, Lisa briefly leaned against the wall, steadying herself while the dizziness passed.

“What happened here? Where’s m—” Lisa caught herself, realizing she had almost called her captor master. Some of his programming made it into her mind after all. She felt dirty, alternating between wanting to shower and throw up at the thought of that creep inside her head. “The guy that did this, what about him?”

“They won’t be bothering anyone else,” Theodora said with implacable conviction as she gave a meaningful look towards the ground. There were a handful of bodies on the floor. Most of them wore temple guard uniforms, but off to one side lay Maste- um, that guy.

None were breathing.

“How did he get out?”

“Betrayal,” said Theodora. Looking at her face, Lisa was thankful the priestess’s ire wasn’t directed at her. Even so, the implications of her words were painful.

“Betrayed, but who would —”

“That is exactly what I intend to discover. Follow.” Theodora moved briskly down the corridor. That direction led to the secure areas, though Lisa wasn’t sure exactly what was there. Even Elizabeth didn’t have clearance for many of them, much less a trainee like Lisa. Nonetheless, she certainly didn’t intend to argue with the resolute priestess.

“We need to rally the defense,” Theodora continued as they walked. “Whoever did this, they won’t catch us by surprise twice. I don’t know their plans, but will involve more than merely carrying off some initiates.”

They soon reached another group. Lisa recognized the leader, one of the senior priests. His two chief disciples were with. She did not, however, recognize the other three men in the group.

“Prestor Thomson,” said Theodora, “it is good to see you. We must get this under control as soon as—who is that with you?”

Her eyes narrowed as she looked at the unknowns.

“The Brotherhood!” she practically spat the word, then turned back to the priest. “You!” her long, spindly finger pointed at him.

“You would dare bring the likes of them here?”

He flinched at her accusation, but steeled himself and faced her down.

“Did you think I would just sit back and wait forever?” he shouted at her. “I dedicated years of my life, slaving away when I could have been living like a king off in some forgotten corner of the world, and what did it get me.”

Lisa couldn’t believe what she was hearing. The Brotherhood? Here? She knew about them, everyone did, but to Lisa they had been little more than a name and a story. Now the bogeyman was all too real, and it was in her home.

Theodora appeared little more pleased than Lisa.

“Traitor!” she shouted at him.

“It was never going to happen, was it,” he continued, “No matter how long I waited you would always be there. Like a spider in her web with all your plots and secrets. No more! I’m done waiting.”

“You will pay for this.”

“You aren’t invincible, you wretched woman. It’s time you learned your place.”

As their powers clashed together, Lisa saw the Brotherhood agents turn to look at one another. Here, in the midst of the temple’s defenses, their own abilities would be stunted. As one, they turned and ran.

Lisa moved to follow, but a jolt slammed into her mind. The force sent her reeling, and she stumbled against the wall. Turning, she was faced with Alicia, one of Thomson’s disciples. The other, Caroline, had joined the battle against Theodora.

Alia smiled, then the attack resumed. If Lisa had any notions of offense, they were quickly dispelled. It took everything just to maintain what defense she was capable of. Bit by bit, the outer defenses began to crumble.

“You really shouldn’t fight it, Lisa dear. I was like you once, lost and confused before the Brotherhood gave me purpose. Just let me through. You’ll thank me for it in the end, I promise.”

Lisa said nothing, she was too busy trying to protect herself. Damn, but this woman was strong. That shouldn’t have been too surprising, given Alicia’s rank, but was frustrating nonetheless. What was that she said about the Brotherhood showing her the way? They must have gotten to her, done something to her. But if so, how could she be that strong. Tampering with someone’s brain always left their powers weakened. Such a basic change should leave her barely stronger than a normal.

And yet, Lisa’s shields continued to ebb, moving inexorably towards collapse. It was no use. No matter what she tried, Lisa was powerless in the face of such ability. Maybe Alicia was right, maybe it was better to just stop fighting the inevitable and -

No!

Lisa reached into her own mind and threw off the faint touch of Alicia’s power. A trace had slipped through her shields during that last assault. Alicia smiled, a slight measure of respect in her gaze.

“So not despair then. Hmm... I guess it will have to be something else.”

The assault kept coming. It was so hard to fight. Lisa started this fight exhausted, but now the weight of her fatigue smashed upon her. Each breath took more effort than the last, and Lisa didn’t know how she could possibly continue such a tedious effort.

This time the trickery was expected, and with a push she dislodged the foreign emotions.

Alicia tried several more combinations, each rebuffed by Lisa. It couldn’t last. Every time she fought back, her shields retracted just a tiny bit. A fraction at a time, her mind was opening up, becoming ever so slightly more vulnerable. Then it happened.

Just the barest touch. A tug against a trigger almost forgotten about before it blossomed into her mind. A face. His face.

“Master,” Lisa whispered. All too clearly, she could see the image of him this morning, that look of sneering disregard. It had repulsed her then, as it still repulsed her now. Yet at the same time, it enticed. Between her legs, Lisa felt herself grow damp, as her body ached for Master’s touch.

“Ah, there we go,” said Alicia, “you’re already on the path.”

“No,” said Lisa. The protests rang hollow in the face of her need.

“Yes,” said Alicia, as she reached up to stroke Lisa’s cheek. The touch was electric, sending shivers of need down Lisa’s skin. Her gaze was caught in Alicia’s eyes, and she couldn’t bring herself to break away. Alicia was almost in now, Lisa could feel her worming past the defenses. Somehow, there just wasn’t enough willpower left to push back.

“You want this so much, Lisa. Listen to your heart, I know you do. It will feel so good to have an owner. Just stop fighting. Let me in and I will show you the wonders of your true Masters. Can you do that for me?”

Their faces were inches apart now. Lisa could feel her warm breath as it splashed against her lips. She wanted to kiss those lips, to do whatever she was told. Anything just so long as she could be with her.

“No,” Lisa whispered, forcing herself to speak.

Alicia’s eyes twinkled.

“And by that, you meant yes, right Lisa?”

Lisa began to nod, unable to refuse her any longer. Before she could lower her defenses, Alicia’s eyes widened. Lisa caught her as she collapsed limply against her. In an instant, the pressure let up from her mind, the desire vanishing with it. Staggering under the force, she lowered Alicia to the ground.

To the side, Theodora stood triumphantly over her opponents. Lisa gasped for air, trying to get a grip on herself.

“Are they?” she asked.

“Not dead, not quite yet,” said Theodora, “He has much to answer for, and when this is over I intend to get the truth. The full truth.”

As though she hadn’t just finished a battle, Theodora continued towards their original destination. With each step, Lisa’s sodden panties were an insistent reminder of how close she had come to defeat.

“You did well,” Theodora said, as though she had sensed her thoughts. Perhaps she had, for all that Lisa felt no touch against her mind. Who knew what the old woman could do.

“Alicia was a capable fighter. For someone with your experience to hold out so long. Well, let’s just say there was no shame in your performance.”

“Alicia, she... I mean, it sounded like they did something to her. She talked about how they made her see the light. but—”

“But how, then, would she maintain her strength?” Theodora finished. “I’m not sure, child. Alicia and Caroline both puzzle me, but there is no time for that. As I said, Thomson has much to answer for, and I will —”

A terrible wailing screech cut her off. It was the most awful thing Lisa had ever felt. Nails on a chalkboard didn’t even come close. Out of instinct, Lisa threw her hands up to cover her ears, but it wasn’t a sound. Not really, anyways. Somehow, it hit her directly in the mind, ringing a loud cacophony of pain through her skull.

It ended as suddenly as it came. Lisa found that her shields had been stripped away, though it was only the work of a moment to restore them. The priestess slowly stood to her feet, apparently as effected as herself.

“What, what was that?” Lisa asked.

“The defenses. That, that changes things.” For the first time, Lisa could see uncertainty cloud Theodora’s face. That alone chilled her. If even the priestess was afraid. That did not bode well.

“Come, hurry.”

This time, Theodora broke into a run. She quickly led Lisa into an unfamiliar storage room. Pushing aside a shelf, Theodora uncovered a small trapdoor.

For a moment, she looked with longing into the darkness, but her face tightened with resolve.

“No,” she said softly, “not again.”

Lisa didn’t have a chance to ask what she meant.

“They’ll be watching the exits, but not this one. The tunnel will take you outside, far from here. It is the only chance I can give you.”

“Me?” Lisa asked, “I’m not going anywhere without you, priestess.”

“I am not going to run. I will not leave my life’s work to be taken by someone else, not when it may be in my power to prevent.”

“But—” something seized Lisa’s mind, brushing past her defenses and forcing her to take a step towards the hole.

“Someone must get the truth out of here. Will you fight me on this now, when I may need every scrap of power at my disposal.”

“I,” said Lisa, choking on her sobs as tears ran down her eyes. Could she really leave so many behind? Did she even have a choice? What about Elizabeth? “I will do as you say, Priestess.”

On an impulse, she reached out and hugged Theodora.

“Please be safe, Priestess.”

“You too child, you too. Now go.”

Tears streaming down her face, Lisa stepped into the darkness.

* * *

“Ah, the legendary Theodora herself.”

Three men stood across the room. She had hoped to gather others before clearing out the temple, but no matter. These three were here now, and they were attacking HER temple. For these, at least, it would end here.

“Walter Hubber,” she said, “I’m surprised you had the courage to come here yourself.”

“But who would pass up a chance to experience your famous hospitality, my dear.” Coming from his mouth, it sounded dirty.

Enough.

She lashed out, striking fast and hard at them. The two on the sides gasped, eyes going wide before they collapsed to the ground. Hubber was unaffected. Not a terrible surprise. Most competent opponents had the sense to guard their vitals, but it was worth a try. Truth be told, she was surprised that even two of them had gone down so easily, but she would certainly not shed a tear over them.

“You are a bloodthirsty little minx, aren’t you,” Hubber said with a small nod of respect. He smiled, a toothy grin that did not reach his eyes.

“When I am done with you,” he continued, “you’ll be thirsty for something else.”

“You have made a mistake coming here, and I WILL see you pay for it.”

Their duel began in earnest. Waves of pure thought crashed into his shields, testing their strength and searching for signs of weakness. His were solid, without noticeable flaws. She sent a jab of doubt. Some were careless, ignoring the full spectrum of possibility and leaving emotions uncovered. No such luck with him. As expected, he would not be defeated by an amateur mistake.

His own offensive began, tendrils of power that slid ineffectually against her shields. His touch was light, surprisingly so. One tendril in particular stroked against her shield in a way that could only be described a lover’s caress.

“Oh don’t look so shocked, my dear.” he said to her. “Surely someone of your great... experience is no stranger to such things.”

So far as she was concerned, the only response that merited was to redouble her efforts. The attack began in earnest then. Theodora grappled with his shields, striving to force them back. He staggered from the blow but soon steadied himself.

“Perhaps not? Or maybe just not at the hands of a man. Is there a reason you surround yourself with so many women?”

Her attacks changed constantly, forcing him to repeatedly shift his focus. Again and again she shifted the location and type of her attacks. Physical, emotional, memories, it didn’t matter. Each time he strengthened in one area, she would press against another.

The strain was evident in his face. Sweat began to bead on his forehead as they circled one another.

Theodora, meanwhile, was having problems of her own. As her own offensive progressed, his attacks had been mounting. They were clever little things, small packets of thought that by all appearances ran independent of their creator. Each was insubstantial in its own right, but they were persistent. Rather than attack her shields as a whole, they were latching on and burrowing their way through.

“It doesn’t matter,” he told her, “After today I will show you a whole new world of pleasure. The pleasure of submission.”

They were not invulnerable. She smiled in satisfaction at seeing some dissipate, but it wasn’t easy. They were subtle little things, and the concentration it took to kill even one allowed her opponent to recover. Worse, they kept coming, faster than she could handle. Unless she gave up her offensive, she would be overwhelmed. There was only one choice.

She redoubled her efforts even as the first of his attacks slipped through her shield. Immediately, she closed the gap it had left, but it was too late to stop its passage. Grimacing with annoyance, she felt it slip into her mind. The only small grace was that it had little energy when it did. Between the pressure of her assault and the rigors of breaking the shielding, it had little left to change her mind with. Besides, all her most vital areas were redundantly protected. That made it little less galling, though. No one had managed that much in many, many years, and she could ill afford it now.

“So it begins. How much longer will you hold out before admitting that you are mine, priestess.”

“Speak for yourself, man. We both know that I am the stronger. How long will you be able to last before your precious defenses crumble.”

More and more of his probes wormed their way inside. Theodora couldn’t tell what they were doing, but it wouldn’t be good. A cloud settled over her mind, distracting and making it hard to think. Every passing moment left her a little weaker, a little less confident.

No matter. His strength was fading too. Narrowing her eyes, she pushed once more. His defense no longer covered the entirety of his mind. He’d been forced to pull it back until it only shielded essentials. She’d have to choose her target carefully. His attacks were mounting, and she wasn’t going to get many chances.

With a push, his legs went numb, no longer able to bear weight. Sputtering in anger, he raised himself off the ground. Watching him kneel on the floor roused a sensation she’d not felt in decades. He was not unattractive, and as she watched him there, she couldn’t help but imagine the possibilities.

But first, she had to finish this fight. The fall had broken his concentration, and she made full use of the opportunity. For a last moment, he held out, barely holding onto his shields as they collapsed down to his core. Then they were gone, winking out with a final pop.

“Then perhaps your reputation was deserved,” he said with a final note of wonder before she seized control.

Twisting his mind, she saw to it that he was no longer able to even think about disobeying her. Looking down, she began picturing the things she could do with him now. The battle still raged, but she couldn’t deny her feelings.

Just a brief respite, she justified to herself. She would slake these desires, then continue onwards. The rest of her pleasures could wait until afterwards.

“Strip,” she commanded, and he rapidly obeyed.

The body was all she could have hoped for. He’d kept himself hard and strong, his maturity only adding to the effect. Walking over, she couldn’t help but run her hand down his broad shoulder and onto his muscled arm. Unable to bear any further wait, she went to a nearby ledge and sat down. After removing her underwear, she spread her legs and beckoned him over.

“Come. Pleasure me,” she said. Thoughts of duty were brushed aside by need.

As he stepped forward to obey her command, she grasped him by the shoulders and pulled his face between her legs. His mouth, hands, and tongue played across her slick opening, and she moaned in pleasure. He was good. Closing her eyes, she leaned back and cried out from the intensity of his ministrations. She was in heaven. How in the world had she gone without for so long?

“Harder,” she told him, fingers running through his hair as she pulled him closer. He did as commanded, working furiously at her moist slit while his hands teased across her sensitive thighs.

It wasn’t enough. As pleasant as it was, it just made her more aware of a horrible emptiness. An emptiness that only he could fill.

“Fuck me,” she breathed between gasps of pleasure.

He pulled back to obey, and she bucked her hips slightly, unconsciously trying to follow his tongue. For all that she commanded it, even that momentary separation was maddening. He paused, looking at her as he stood between her legs. Theodora imagined the sight this must present. Him standing above while she writhed and panted under his touch.

It was so incredibly hot. She wanted him. Wanted him now, with no more waiting.

“Fuck me,” she said again, “please.”

At her command, his rigid member slid inside her. She cried out in rapture at the glorious sensation of it as he slaked the terrible emptiness she had felt. While he drove into her, his strong hands reached under her robes and slid up her body. She arched her back, helping him as he pulled the confining garment from her. After a flurry of activity, she was finally rid of her clothing.

“Harder, fuck me harder,” she cried.

She reached back, bracing herself on the smooth surface as he pounded in and out of her. He pinched playfully at a nipple, and she bit her lip in pleasure. His hands were trailing back and forth her body now. Feeling her out possessively. The thought of being possessed was strangely erotic to her.

“Yes. Take me!” she yelled, frantic with need, “Use me.”

He picked up the pace, taking her even harder than before. She could feel it rising within her, the sweet swell of release. It was growing, building, cresting towards a glorious and long awaited climax. She threw her head back, eyes closing, lost in the pleasure of it.

On the very brink, he stopped.

Her eyes shot open, looking up at him as she panted hard in exertion and arousal. He was smiling again, but there was something chilling in his expression. A predatory cast he should no longer be capable of. She whined in need as his cock waited just on the outside.

Too late, she thought to check her defenses, but she knew what she would find. He was there, somehow in her head despite the blocks she thought she’d placed on him. It wasn’t over. If she acted now, she might manage to drive him out.

His cock slid teasingly against her moistened lower lips, and she bucked in frustration. Maybe she could fight, but why would she? If she did that, then she wouldn’t be his. She wanted that, didn’t she?

“But then again,” he said, “perhaps your reputation was overstated after all.”

“Please,” she whimpered, not sure whether she was begging for mercy, or for him to take her. Maybe they were the same thing after all?

“You know how to gain a victory, but not how to use it, slave”

With that, he drove into her. The wave of her arousal crashed down into an earth shattering climax, and in the throes of passion she gave herself to him, fully and completely.

“Yes master!” she cried to him, “fuck me, fuck your worthless slave.”

She was his, belonging to him utterly. His to use as he saw fit. How had she even dreamed of fighting? Why had she ever wanted to? This was where she belonged.

As her master slaked his own lusts in her, she cried out in pleasure once more.

* * *

Walter Hubber, dressed now, walked down the hallway with his new slave in tow. The fighting was nearly complete. When you really looked at it, the temple hadn’t stood a chance. Not when they were caught so completely off guard.

“Director Hubber,” said a field commander as Walter walked up to the staging area. His eyes went a bit wide as he saw the naked slave trailing behind. “So you got her?”

Hubber nodded, then called for a report. The commander detailed the fight. As he spoke, his eyes kept shooting to the enthralled priestess with a measure of awe. It was disconcerting to see how highly even his own men viewed her. Not that it had been an easy fight. He’d come far closer to losing than he would ever let on. Her reputation was deserved, but he would have to break it lest his men grow weak.

No matter. In the meantime his own reputation would grow, and his power amongst the directorate would grow with it.

“So that last pocket of resistance is contained,” the commander said, concluding his report, “we will have them flushed out withing the next half hour.”

“And the escape attempts,” asked the director. The report had been worryingly vague on that point. “You contained them all?”

“Well, um, no, director,” the commander admitted, “There were two breakouts, we recaptured one, but some of the second group have still evaded us.”

“How in the hell did that happen,” the director growled, “You were supposed to have men at the exits.”

“They came in groups, sir. We didn’t expect them to be that coordinated.”

“That’s why we have a pre-mission briefing. Were you paying attention?”

“Yes, sir, I—”

“I don’t care. Find them, get your men out there and capture them.”

“Yes sir,” he said, and began issuing orders to his own men.

“One last thing, commander,” said Hubber, “the traitor. Where is he?”

The greedy priest had been the first crack in the temple’s armor, the point from which all else flowed. He was to serve as their puppet leader, offering the illusion of a peaceful transfer of power. The temple was insular enough. If they were careful, no one would to know that the Brotherhood was pulling their strings. Not until it was too late. But only if they captured those damned escapees.

“He,” began the commander, “we found him, sir, but his mind. It was broken, sir he was a gibbering mess when we found him.”

He felt a flush of chagrin from his slave and spun around.

“Well?” he asked.

She was silent. Ah yes, he’d forbidden her to speak, hadn’t he. For all that he’d dodged most of her control, he was still bound to obey her voice. Until he had time to fix that he wasn’t inclined to take any chances.

“Speak, slave,” he commanded, “what do you know about that.”

“I’m sorry, master, I thought he was a traitor. I didn’t realize he was working for my most wonderful, worshipful masters.”

“Enough, silence. I will punish you later.”

She blushed, and he could feel her shame at displeasing her master. He would think of some... entertaining punishments for her later, but now he had to clean up the last loose ends.

“No matter. We still need someone to lead here. Gather the converts, we’ll choose someone from them.”

Everything was still ok. It wasn’t perfect, but what plan had ever worked out exactly as hoped. So long as they didn’t botch their search and let someone escape, today had turned out as well as he dared expect.