The Erotic Mind-Control Story Archive

Headspace, Chapter 2. Subtle Leviathan

Jordan woke to a sticky mess and a dead phone. It was an inauspicious start to the day. He couldn’t quite remember what he had done the night before, but clearly someone had had a good time; for himself, he thought, it was a “consequential lack of planning.” Now to deal with the consequences.

Still, somehow he was in a good mood. An image of Alex flirted through his head, wearing something black and shiny — now was not the time. The sun shining through his cheap apartment blinds suggested that it was far later than his normal schedule allowed. Wearing his shiny latex Jajo headphones was OK: by order.

He shook his head at his strange morning thoughts. Setting his phone on charge, and scrounging up an extra charger for the headphones, he staggered off for coffee and a shower. Once clean, the roasted bean juice would provide answers, by his order.

* * *

Alex emerged from her first tutorial of the day with a sense of accomplishment. She had managed to keep the discussion on track, and the students seemed engaged with the material. As soon as she left, she popped the latex headphones back on. The background noise made her feel good and washed away the minor irritations of the undergraduates. They never did their reading, then complained that she didn’t spoon-feed the material to the few that had bothered to show up. No matter — it was a warm day, but less muggy than yesterday. She had a thesis to conquer.

As she sat down at her desk, she noticed that Jordan was already there, his Jajo headphones on, and his eyes glued to his computer screen. He looked up as she entered, and they exchanged a brief nod before he returned to his work. Alex couldn’t help but notice that he seemed more focused than usual. It was good to see him finally clicking with his work. To herself, she admitted that it was good to see him, too. She idly played with her hair, and then blinked and turned back to her screen.

The day passed in a blur of productivity. Both Alex and Jordan were unusually efficient, their work punctuated by the occasional exchange of ideas or a shared joke.

Their usual constant low-level argument about whomever they were reading was absent, however. They found themselves agreeing more readily with each other’s points, counter-points were fuzzy and challenging to come by; it was so much easier to comply and to agree to someone else’s decision.

As they set out for a shared lunch, they got a few odd looks by being a pair of postgraduate students wearing shiny latex Jajo headphones. Still, plenty of other students were wearing them. Their sartorial choices were excusable by the crowd.

They both found their eyes resting on the shiny, cute, unitard wearing Jajo sales-droids still out in force in the sandstone quad. What a lovely group of people.

Neither Alex nor Jordan were surprised by the yells of “Yay! Jajo!” and the spontaneous hugs of the young and pretty sales-droids. Jordan managed to conceal his reaction to the familiar-looking girl. Her smile and large and obvious breasts were somehow familiar to him — but only in the back of his mind. Her hug felt divine, and any lingering familiarity was washed away by closeness and comfort. Alex hoped no one noticed him adjusting his pants.

Alex also enjoyed the feel of the shiny sales-droid’s clothing. The close hug brought a smile to her face. There was something to be said for these carefree students working at Jajo’s orders.

The two were released and continued on their way, headphones soothing them and quiet smiles on both their faces. Over lunch, Alex found a few brief excuses to touch Jordan: a sauce stain from the generic Asian steam-tray food, a fly, and even a long rub on the shoulder after a particularly fiddly passage. Their headphones stayed on, and their focus remained. Jordan didn’t seem to notice Alex’s small actions.

The pair ate quickly, the anxiety of their afternoon postponed only by company. Jordan’s head tracked the Jajo booth until they were almost out of sight as they power walked back to their cubes.

The dreaded time arrived: the weekly advisor group meeting. They both looked at each other and took off the shiny latex bands. The world was harsh, dissonant, lacking in coffee and in pleasure. It was Tuesday afternoon.

The group meeting was terrible. Their ideas were torn apart (like usual), but by their fellow advisees (not like usual). The paltry presentation Jordan had prepared earned a gruff: “Do better.” Questions about citation choices in Alex’s chapter draft had no useful answer. Disaster: a bad star shown upon this day.

They marched back to their desks, defeated. Jordan tried to wipe a tear from his eye without Alex noticing. Alex’s only response was to offer her arms for a hug. The two postgraduate students hugged the stress of the meeting off, their supervisor’s rebukes replaying again and again in their heads.

“Beer?”

“Beer.”

They both turned to their desks, packed up their laptops, and put on their shiny Jajo headphones. Their supervisor’s words still echoed (academic displeasure is, after all, a very strong thing), but the world was better. Beer would make it better still.

* * *

Alex and Jordan sat at a noisy table in the centre of the open space of the university bar, nursing their beers and taking a much-needed break. The noise of the venue washed over them, the noisy students and the loud canned music filtered by their shiny and wonderful headphones.

Jordan looked down at his Jajo app, and tapped into the headphone settings. “Paired conversation” seemed right, so he tapped it.

Alex’s phone binged for attention. She glanced down. “What the hell, man, you sent me an EULA?”

“You should accept it. I clicked through mine last night. It unlocks great functionality.” Jordan took a sip of beer, not really thinking about his words.

Alex sighed, took a deep drink, and began reading the EULA. The headphones had been consuming a lot of her attention lately, and she was curious about the Jajo company’s stance.

The “You submit your personal information” section was a bit oddly worded, but had the usual drivel about third-party processors and Jajo’s privacy being their highest priority.

The second section, “You consent to your consent being used for product improvement,” caused her to grimace. This legalese was an eighth as bad as Hegel. Still, she got through Hegel and Heidegger — she’d get through this EULA. She looked up at Jordan and smiled as he brought her a new beer. Apparently, she had finished her last one in the first section of the contract.

Jordan sat down and looked at his phone. The Jajo app had a notification for him. He read it and obeyed. Jordan’s arm wrapped around her shoulders and she leaned unthinkingly into the safe human contact. This whole thing, this whole thing was nice.

Half a beer, half a beer onward. She chuckled to herself, wiped some suds off her lips, and moved onto the third section: “Obedience: A framework for Jajo’s obligations.” The phrasing was even more awkward here. Did this imply that the company was obedient or the user? She felt it made far more sense if the user was obedient. She was obediently reading, after all. Still, this fuzzy wording wouldn’t make it far in a philosophy degree.

She pushed the dissonant memories of the afternoon’s meeting away and shifted at the unexpected warmth of Jordan’s arm. It wasn’t quite appropriate, so she gently manoeuvred his arm away from her shoulders, despite the chill it left behind. Appearances had to be maintained.

Jordan seemed wrapped up in reading something on his phone. He looked up and smiled, said something. She pointed to her headphones and shrugged, went back to reading. This whole production seemed to be an awful lot of work just to have a quiet conversation in a noisy bar. Still, to spend time with her cute cubicle buddy — and it’s not like the bar had any quiet spots: those were for well engineered acoustic spaces.

Obedience. Right, she was up to section 3. She looked down and finished her second beer while reading. It made sense in a kind of impossible to understand way. Jajo corporation gave her her headphones. The headphones were great. The headphones improved her. Therefore, to continue using the headphones, she should follow Jajo corporation’s instructions for best results. She would obey. Logic(ish).

“Our privacy is important to you!” This last section was in danger of exploding with too much irony. Framing their privacy policy in terms of the obligations of forgetfulness made sense, kinda, but only if you thought about it from their perspective. They were building good products and testing them for free: of course the testers would need to consent to non-disclosure to themselves. What good was a blind experiment if the subject knew what they were obeying? The best way to design a product was with a master plan: the product didn’t need to know anything. She only had to obey and not remember. Her Jajo headphones were a reassuring weight on her head, shiny and snug. They’d take care of everything.

Happy with the agreement, she clicked ‘I accept,’ the details already fading from her mind. She was fully consenting and informed of what she accepted. No further worry needed.

Finally, Alex looked up and smiled at Jordan. Their phones connected their Jajo headphones with a click, and their voices came through clearly.

“Sorry about that. I like reading what I’m agreeing to,” Alex started with an apology.

“No worries, friend!” Jordan smiled back. “It gave me time to read this paper and drink this beer. These headphones are great, I don’t remember the last time it was quiet enough to read here.”

Alex toyed with her hair, noticing that Jordan’s pupils were somewhat dilated. He looked hot in those shiny latex headphones, but she chalked it up to the beer.

“Yeah, these lovelies gave me the best sleep I had in a year last night.” She smiled at the memory, and the memory of a memory of sensual heat. She forgot the feeling of gentle pressure on her clit, forgot the whole night long. Obedient. Delicious.

Blinking, she focused again on Alex. “But uh, what was up with Prof today? Why did we suck so much?”

“Oh, don’t remind me. The moment I took these lovely things off,” (it would be wrong, but correct, to say that he caressed the latex binding his brain) he said, “The world just sucked. It’s like they’re a drug, or something.”

“Yeah, nah. I think we just didn’t prep enough. We should never blame Jajo corporation products for our own personal failings.” Alex recited. The EULA was, after all, fresh in her mind.

“I obey.” Jordan blinked whatever they were talking about away. It must not have been very important to forget like that. Alex was looking so hot this afternoon. He shuffled awkwardly in his seat. It would be best if he didn’t get up from the table for a bit.

“Well, the only way to avoid another disaster like today is to study more. How about we read for a while and have another beer, buddy?” Jordan smiled, and stood, not waiting for Alex’s consent. After all, she already had it. He ignored the confined bulge in his pants.

* * *

The pair eventually made it back to their respective apartments, staring vacantly into space as they rode on public transit. Their eyes only focused, briefly, on the various Jajo advertisements scattered along their routes. The rides were quiet and calm, despite the jostling peak-hour crowds. Alex and Jordan were content and Jajo corporation was managing their stress, concern, and volition for them. It was nice. Neither noticed the quiet breathing of the other, still being transmitted over their open call. Neither noticed that their breathing was perfectly in sync and under control.

Dotted here and there about the train cabins they were sitting in, other Jajo headphone wearers enjoyed their own commute. The advertising campaigns looked to be effective.

As Alex sat down on her couch, she was surprised to hear Jordan say: “Well, probably time to start that essay.”

“What?” She couldn’t stop herself from asking her empty apartment.

“Alex?” A somewhat redundant question from Jordan.

“Yeah. Oh, we’re still connected? That’s nice.”

“Yeah... I guess,” Jordan responded, somewhat distracted by his work. “It’s that philTech essay that’s due next week. Oh well, mind if I bounce some ideas off you?”

Alex stretched out on her couch, and tapped her phone. “Sure. Start a video call and share your screen? No need to narrate your outline.” She stretched her arms out over her head, pulling on muscles tight from a day of driven concentration, focus, and a forgotten anxiety. Her shirt rode up her flat stomach, fabric moving over her erect nipples. That was nice. It was a warm evening, and she was feeling hot and somewhat bothered.

Her large TV connected to the Jajo app, and then showed a large Jajo logo as the various data feeds chased tennis balls through the Aussie series of tubes they called the internet. “Jajo! Freedom from choice!” These corporate slogans didn’t make any sense. At least there wasn’t another EULA to click through.

A corner of her mind caused her to prop up her phone on the coffee table. It was important that Jordan be able to see her in high resolution, even though he was writing his essay. Task done, she lounged back on her couch, scratching her stomach gently where the shirt hadn’t settled back down.

“Right, ok. Got it.” Jordan muttered through muffled clicks from his mouse.

Alex’s TV moved into split-screen mode. On one side: an empty Word document. On the other, Jordan’s phone was set as camera, framing his body and face nicely as they focused on his computer. Neither postgraduate questioned the complexity of the setup, or why they needed to see each other.

Their phones’ focus anchored on the shiny latex headphones wrapping the tops of their heads. Alex’s curly brown hair squished down on either side of the band. The headphones were important, shiny, smooth, squeaky. The feeling of her fingers on the rubber of her headphones was delicious.

“So, I was thinking that I could revisit the ontological neutrality of technology argument again. Look at how corporations through their deployed AIs are, once again, framing value discussions.” Jordan’s voice was all business, settling back into old practised patterns of scholarship. Alex watched as Jordan took off his shirt and licked her lips, unconsciously. His eyes were focused on the page in front of him.

“Boring!” Alex responded. “That’s generic undergraduate drivel! You’re better than that!” Echoing Jordan, she also took off her shirt, her mouth automatically smiling as she saw Jordan’s eyes involuntarily jump to the other side of his screen. “Look, if you’re going to go with ontologically weighted technology, use Jajo as an example. Everyone is beating the AI drum.” Her hand slipped into her pants.

Jordan nodded. “Right, then what do we know about them? They’re incredibly into informed consent. These headphones are great and are providing wonderful stress reduction. Jajo is clearly exerting quite a lot of control over how we feel and think, I think?”

Alex watched as Jordan pulled down his pants and underwear. She squirmed out of her panties, pants long forgotten. His dick, the focus of the screen, was fully erect and begging for attention. His left hand rubbed the tip, spreading pre-cum over the glans. “Yeah, obviously. Just the fact that we are so much less stressed wearing the headphones is obvious evidence. We don’t need to imply some sort of plot.” Alex started to echo Jordan’s hand as it moved up and down his dick, rubbing circles around her clit in synchrony. Jordan typed the start of an outline in one-handed. Her thinking felt fuzzy, tired, distracted. The heat was getting to her.

“Ok, so let’s take these wonderful headphones as our case study,” Jordan continued. They both paused their unconscious masturbation to caress the latex. Their hands resumed their required self-pleasure. Alex tweaked a nipple, holding out her breast for the camera. Her blush extended down almost to her breasts. Her world was arousal.

Jordan angled himself for better presentation, briefly stopping his note-taking to fondle his balls. His long, slow, strokes of his dick beating time for both of them. His erection required satisfaction. “They change our perspective by reducing our stress and improving our focus. What does that say about the values embodied in their construction? How is our perception of their use altered by those cute girls handing out free samples?”

“You know, this reminds me of what Heidegger said about technology being a way of revealing truth,” Alex mused, her fingers still working between her legs. “The headphones are revealing something about our own desires and vulnerabilities, even as they shape our perceptions and actions.” Her couch was wet with her desire.

Alex had one hand rubbing her clit, matching Jordan’s unhurried pace. In counterpoint, her other hand plunged two fingers deep into her vagina. This was the life, talking philosophy with a hot friend on a hot night, while watching him... study. Jordan’s dick was shiny and mesmerising. It was a shame she was on the other side of town right now.

She continued, “Outside the values question, the girls handing them out is basic marketing. They catch our attention to persuade us that the objects they’re hawking can cause us to be like them.”

Visions of the latex-clad bodies, not safe for campus, of the sales-drones flickered in both of their imaginations. Their hot, obedient faces, mindlessly chanting Jajo slogans, were all they could think about.

“Yeah, I probably shouldn’t use one of them as a figure in this paper.” Jordan replied, “unless you’re grading it, right?”

They sped up their mutual masturbation. No longer the languid pace of the early part of their call, their hands beat, rubbed, pinched, scratched an insistent demand. Their bodies were pleasure-drones designed to pleasure themselves. Their bodies were obedient and their minds forgetful. They would obey. They could think only of the obedient, shiny, drones. They could feel only pleasure.

“Asshole. It’d most likely improve your grade, though.” Alex sounded distracted, still imagining those glorious latex outfits. Alex’s slick hands gave her pleasure, through the unconscious control of her Jajo headphones. A rub here, a thrust inside her there, a nipple tweak and a suck — she was a creature of lust and needed satisfaction. The image of Jordan’s hot body, throbbing and shiny dick on screen just multiplied her desire, a simulacrum standing in lieu of where she’d rather be right now.

Alex keened in need of climax. Jordan’s breaths were sharp and short, the squelching of his hand moving rapidly up and down his needy dick. Alex plunged deeply into herself, needing to be full, needing to explode in pleasure.

“So, your paper is simple now. The headphones are ontologically virtuous. They improve the world. Hell, they’re a great example of Haraway’s manifesto — we’re both cyborgs now. Us plus headphones are so much better, different, than us alone.” There was a brief moment of transcendent pleasure, their minds unable to form words, their bodies instruments of Jajo corporation. They both came messily, pleasure reflected in the image of the other, both obedient and unaware.

Jordan’s cum dripped onto his computer keyboard as his hands typed. He looked down, and had a brief moment of surreal double perspective. Was he masturbating? Wasn’t he writing a paper? Why was everything covered in his cum?

“Hey, Jordan?” Alex asked, as her hands moved to clean herself up. “Want to come over for dinner tomorrow night? I could read over your paper and give you some tips.”

Jordan blinked, and his concerns over his unexpected ejaculation vanished. “Sure! Sounds like fun!”